Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a turkey risotto for dinner the other night, first time making it from scratch and turned out nice.

Still wouldn't invite Gordon Ramsey over to try as he is way to critical on risotto

1 large onion, chopped
    2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
    1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    710ml/1¼pt chicken stock made with Bovril
    227g/8oz arborio or risotto rice
    a few strands of saffron
    300g lean cooked turkey, skin removed
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tbsp chopped parsley

1. Put the onion, leeks, red or yellow pepper, garlic and 284ml/½ pint of stock in a large heavy frying pan. Cover the pan, bring to the boil and boil for 5-10 minutes. Uncover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and syrupy.

2. Stir in the rice and cook gently for 2 minutes. Add some more stock, together with the saffron, and bring to the boil.

3. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook very gently for about 15-20 minutes, adding more stock and stirring as necessary.

4. Add the cooked turkey after 10 minutes and heat through in the rice. The risotto is ready when the rice is plump and tender, and all the liquid has been absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve the risotto sprinkled with parsley.

Comment

wild garlic pesto

As discussed in the BBV, made load of this stuff having picked roughly a kilo of wild garlic.

recipe is pretty straight forward:

100g of wild garlic (with the stems cut off)
      50g of nuts (i did a few versions with pine nuts and a few with hazelnuts)
      300ml of extra virgin olive oil
      80g of grated parmesan
      good pinch of salt and pepper
      a tablespoon of honey

Basically stick the whole lot in a blender, and mix till you're happy with the consistency.

re the nuts, did a few batches of each, and tbh, even though i might prefer the hazelnut versions, if i'm honest and did a blind taste, i'm not sure i'd spot the difference.

i added the honey because there is a slight bitter after taste (most likely coming from the garlic, but also from the blended olive oil), which worked pretty well, but after letting it settle for a couple of hours, the bitterness is now very faint.

For my last batch i added a couple of tablespoons of chillies which has a little kick, but hopefully in a weeks time should have a lot more .

All in all, it tastes great. I think it probably isn't perfect for a dipping sauce aperitif (although still very good), but is absolutely delicious with pasta, and going to try coating fish in it tonight before baking it.

As I have about 4 litres of the stuff, i'll be freezing it in ice cube format so it's easy to get the quantities right when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
        As discussed in the BBV, made load of this stuff having picked roughly a kilo of wild garlic.

recipe is pretty straight forward:

100g of wild garlic (with the stems cut off)
        50g of nuts (i did a few versions with pine nuts and a few with hazelnuts)
        300ml of extra virgin olive oil
        80g of grated parmesan
        good pinch of salt and pepper
        a tablespoon of honey

Basically stick the whole lot in a blender, and mix till you're happy with the consistency.

re the nuts, did a few batches of each, and tbh, even though i might prefer the hazelnut versions, if i'm honest and did a blind taste, i'm not sure i'd spot the difference.

i added the honey because there is a slight bitter after taste (most likely coming from the garlic, but also from the blended olive oil), which worked pretty well, but after letting it settle for a couple of hours, the bitterness is now very faint.

For my last batch i added a couple of tablespoons of chillies which has a little kick, but hopefully in a weeks time should have a lot more .

All in all, it tastes great. I think it probably isn't perfect for a dipping sauce aperitif (although still very good), but is absolutely delicious with pasta, and going to try coating fish in it tonight before baking it.

As I have about 4 litres of the stuff, i'll be freezing it in ice cube format so it's easy to get the quantities right when needed.
        It's now had proper time to rest and it tastes amazing! all the bitterness is gone, so dip away!! If dipping, you might need to add a tiny bit of olive oil, as it is quite thick now, as if a lot of the oil the oil had been absorbed by the nuts.

Comment

I missed the BBV discussion, can you link it please. or tell me the ins and outs of wild garlic picking?

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatiam View Post
            I missed the BBV discussion, can you link it please. or tell me the ins and outs of wild garlic picking?
            here is the post.

Not much to wild garlic picking. Best time to find it/pick it is march/april. It's found in old woodland/forests. Once you find it, tear the leaves off at the base(stalks are not used for cooking).
            The only real danger is that there are a couple of other plants with exactly the same leaves. Both are deadly(i think one is the lily of the valleys but not 100% sure), but tbh, once you find it you'll know straight away if it's garlic just from the smell. Pick up a leaf, and rub it between your fingers. If you have any doubt, then it's most likely not garlic!!!

here is the forest where we found it. As far as the eye can see really in every direction. Acres of the stuff. If you could harvest it, you could get a decent bit of cash from restaurants and sell it on the markets.

Attached Files

Comment

that's amazing.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

cooking a rack of pork for the first time so did the ould google search and this was no1 on the search

Its only been in the oven 5 mins but the smell is outstanding can't wait to get stuck into it. Real easy to prep was a bonus.

Ingredients
                •1 -8 bone center cut rack of pork
                •olive oil
                •sea salt
                •black pepper
                •Montreal Steak Seasoning
                •2 carrots -rough cut
                •1 small onion-rough cut and include skins
                •2 stalks of celery- rough cut
                •6 cloves garlic peeled

Instructions
                1.preheat oven to 230 degrees
                2.In a roasting pan add your rough cut vegetables
                3.rinse the rack of pork well and pat dry
                4.place rack fat side up, on top of cut veggies
                5.apply liberal amount of olive oil, rubbing it into the meat
                6.sprinkle entire rack with sea salt, pepper and then with an extra coating of Montreal Steak Seasoning (use a good amount of Montreal seasoning forming a light crust)
                7.place pan in preheat oven at 230 degrees for 15 minutes.
                8.after 15 minutes reduce heat to 165 and continue to roast for approximately 2 hours or until internal temperature on the outside of the racks has reached 71
                9.This will ensure the outside of the pork is well done while the centre cuts are not cooked quite as much.
                10.Remove the Rack from the oven placing on a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing the meat. This will allow all the juices to remain in the rack, rather than have them run all over the plate, making the meat dry.
                11.While the rack is resting, place 2 cups of water in the roasting pan and place on the oven and with a spoon loosen all the baked in meat scraps from the pan, making your pan gravy.
                12.Strain out all of the vegetable pieces and any residue
                13.Cut the rack along the bones, making even portions of the pork, serve with your pan gravy and your favourite sides!

Comment

My wife just put together this fantastic peppercorn sauce to accompany our 21-day aged hereford beef fillet steak.

It will now become our default sauce for steak. Really great and you can make it as fiery and thick as you like.

2 to 3 tablespoons mixed peppercorns
                  60g butter
                  1 shallot, minced
                  100ml brandy
                  100ml beef stock
                  60ml double cream
                  salt to taste
                  Directions

Prep:2min › Cook:15min › Ready in:17min

1 - Crush the peppercorns slightly, either using a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin.
                  Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the shallots and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the brandy and boil for another 3 minutes. Add beef stock and boil another 3 minutes.

2 - Finally, add the cream and reduce the heat to medium. Heat through, but don't allow the peppercorn sauce to boil. Once the sauce is at your desired thickness, test for seasoning. Add salt if necessary, then serve with your favourite steak.
                  Cook's note

3 - If you pan fry your steaks, you can remove the steaks from the pan, keep them warm in the oven wrapped in foil, and then make the peppercorn sauce in the same pan in which you cooked the steaks. By scraping up the bits from cooking the steaks, you add a lot of rich flavour to the peppercorn sauce. Enjoy!

Comment

QQ

Making Beef Wellington tomorrow. Anyone any experience? made it once but didn't use the right meat and it didn't turn out the way I liked. I used puff pastry last time and I have seen filo pastry used also when I googled it. Is there any great difference which pastry I use to my wellington?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                      My wife just put together this fantastic peppercorn sauce to accompany our 21-day aged hereford beef fillet steak.

It will now become our default sauce for steak. Really great and you can make it as fiery and thick as you like.

2 to 3 tablespoons mixed peppercorns
                      60g butter
                      1 shallot, minced
                      100ml brandy
                      100ml beef stock
                      60ml double cream
                      salt to taste
                      Directions

Prep:2min › Cook:15min › Ready in:17min

1 - Crush the peppercorns slightly, either using a mortar and pestle or a rolling pin.
                      Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the shallots and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the brandy and boil for another 3 minutes. Add beef stock and boil another 3 minutes.

2 - Finally, add the cream and reduce the heat to medium. Heat through, but don't allow the peppercorn sauce to boil. Once the sauce is at your desired thickness, test for seasoning. Add salt if necessary, then serve with your favourite steak.
                      Cook's note

3 - If you pan fry your steaks, you can remove the steaks from the pan, keep them warm in the oven wrapped in foil, and then make the peppercorn sauce in the same pan in which you cooked the steaks. By scraping up the bits from cooking the steaks, you add a lot of rich flavour to the peppercorn sauce. Enjoy!
                      must try, always mean to attempt making my own sauces.

when do you add the peppercorns
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                        must try, always mean to attempt making my own sauces.

when do you add the peppercorns
                        At the start. One crushed tea spoon is enough. After that it's to yr own taste.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                          That looks great, I'm going to try it next week.

Comment

missing .....

Comment

I never took the time to realise Donal Skehan is quite a talented food photographer until now.

His new quarterly magazine with Ross Golden-Bannon as editor is a pretty cool alternative to the "25 Hot Summer Recipes" type crap that mostly populates the food mag space.

No ads though i guess the featured articles are a class of brand journalism.

Has potential. Hope it sticks around for a few issues.
                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 02-06-13, 21:21.

Comment

Made a monster shepherds pie today. Pealed+steamed the spuds, mashed them w/ butter, salt, pepper, parsley. Pealed+chopped carrots, parsnips, and steamed them with peas+sweetcorn. Fried lamb and beef mince with a chopped onion and added the veg in and some garlic powder. Added small tin of tomato puree, a drop of Worcester sauce, franks extra hot and a beef oxo cube. Put it together in deep oven dish and into oven till the top browns(run a fork over the top so it goes crispy). Took about an hour to make and 15mins for the household to devour. Best thing I ever cooked and handy. Winter dish me bollox!
                                It's all an illusion

Comment

Tomato me bollocks. Gravy a shepherds pie up. You wont look back.

Comment

Actually did that but forgot to write. Stirred the oxo cube and a couple of table spoons of gravy granules with boiling water. Then added that to the rest. Managed to save some from the beasts I live with so will be on the menu again tomorrow!

edit: presume it's overkill with all the extras but it works!
                                    Last edited by 72over; 12-06-13, 02:42.
                                    It's all an illusion

Comment

People who don't put a small tin of Baked Beans in their Shepherds Pie haven't lived!

Comment

tried something slightly new last night. new for me anyway I never really cook Indian flavors and I made this up as I went.

Meatball curry

Meatballs, about 20 balls.
                                        350g of minced beef,
                                        250g of minced turkey
                                        in a processor blitz 5-6 chillis, 3 garlic cloves, corriander leaves, olive oil, lime juice an inch of ginger root.
                                        mix this into the meat, add 3/4 spoons of breadcrumbs. salt and pepper
                                        squish together and form into meat balls.
                                        brown the meat balls on a hot skillet.

In a large crock pot on a medium heat melt some butter/olive oil/coconut oil
                                        throw in 1 or 2 thickly sliced onions, 3 cloves of garlic, sweat them until the onions soften and colour.

add 3 medium sweet potato cut into cubes, carrot, parsnips. cook them until they soften slightly.
                                        stir in spices, cayenne pepper, salt+pepper, tumeric and garam masala, 3/4 whole star anise
                                        stir in 2 spoons of plain flour and cook for a minute. add a pint or so of chicken or veg stock. (less or more depending on how thick you want the sauce)
                                        stir and bring to the boil once it boils and starts to thicken lower the heat ( I used an electric hob so if youre on gas you can lower the heat later)
                                        add the meatballs. cover and transfer to a preheated oven at 100 degrees or so, let it cook here for a good few hours.
                                        Once your house stinks like Wolverhampton high street bring out the crock pot and place on the hob on a medium heat, check the balls are done, then need to be firm (check with a thermometer if you're unsure 70 degrees all the way through for turkey IIRC) and the veg soft but not collapsing.

spoon in 250g + of yoghurt, or cream, yoghurt is better tho as it gives the tang.

sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves

Was quite tasty curried meatball stew.
                                        ===
                                        Use less stock for a thicker sauce and have it in a bowl, or more stock and serve over rice.
                                        You can substitute the turkey in the meat balls for pork, or go all beef.
                                        and the rot veggies are interchangeable with others ofc.

2 additions I wish I had though of while I was cooking. I wish I had added spinach I think it would have worked quite well.
                                        and raisins, im not a fan of fruit in curries normally but i kept expecting raisins as I was eating it, so maybe next time ill try it with raisins.

Comment

Butcher closed today so had to raid the larder and get inventive!

Had some cold potatoes which had been left over from yesterday (were steamed) I never throw out spuds, so versatile.
                                          Also some streaky bacon, duck eggs, sweetcorn and mushrooms etc.

anyhow;

The 'Left Over Bake' recipe:

Chopped bacon and mushrooms and fried in a little butter till cooked but not crispy
                                          Boiled a duck egg (hard boiled)
                                          Sauted Sliced onion in butter till soft then added some flour, cooked out for a min then slowly added milk to a nice thickness. Stirred in a teaspoon of dijon mustard and a handful of grated mature cheddar and seasoned. (had to add a bit more milk as it got a bit thick)

In an ovenproof bowl i mixed the potatoes (cubed) with the bacon / mushroom / sweetcorn and chopped egg.
                                          Poured over the sauce and sprinkled with more grated cheese and baked in oven till brown and bubbling

Was effin lovely and had to share ......................

Comment

Her frittata did look smashing on the TV last night alright

Comment

Been hooked on them since two recommendations on BBV, far superior to any other egg dishes imo. Smoked salmon and spinach is a good combo for them. No need for the cream either for paleo heads.

Comment

Like Pork Chops?

Made this up tonight and was yummy.

Ingredients;

4 Pork Chops (thick ones...leave fat on for extra flavor)
                                                1 Onion thinly sliced
                                                tsp dried thyme
                                                2 Apples peeled/cored and sliced
                                                500 mils chicken stock
                                                couple spring onions chopped
                                                1/2 glass brandy
                                                3 tbl spoons wholegrain mustard
                                                200 mils double cream
                                                Cornflour
                                                salt and pepper

Heat tsp olive oil in deep pan and fry onions till soft
                                                Add chops and brown both sides
                                                Add in stock and dried thyme, COVER and place in oven 150 degrees C for 45mins
                                                Remove from oven and place on stove and heat gently
                                                Add sliced apples, chopped spring onions and brandy
                                                Simmer for a couple mins and then add mustard and cream stirring gently
                                                Heat gently for a few mins
                                                Mix cornflour and water and add stirring till you reach consistency you like
                                                season with salt and pepper

Very simple and pork chops nice and tender
                                                Last edited by TheDrunkenOne; 20-09-13, 22:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                  I've been threatening to make a Frittata for some time now, inspired by Rachel Allen I took the plunge. All measurements are approximate.

8 eggs
                                                  bag of spinach
                                                  small tub (170ml) cream
                                                  streaky rashers
                                                  1 red onion
                                                  blue cheese

> wilt spinach and drain off juices, set to one side
                                                  > cut bacon and fry off in pan on low heat, add onions half way through to slightly caramelise.
                                                  > whisk 8 eggs and cream
                                                  > add bacon, onion, spinach, chopped blue cheese. mix
                                                  > stick it in a cake tin of some description and then into the oven until done.

seems like the ideal thing to make and use over a few days if you wish for lunch or w/e. The beauty of this is that you can mix and match the contents as you wish. the one Rachel Allen did was gruyere and spinach. I'd imagine you can change the cheese at will, I just like some strong blue and the red onion goes well with it. I think it would all go down well with some Pinot Noir and maybe some side salads or wedges.
                                                  Made this the other night and added broccoli, twas savage but would probably try a more subtle cheese the next time.

Comment

Anyone who wants to give pulled pork a go. Thread over on boards with detailed instructions which is amazing.

Sorry for the delay folks, this took a little longer to write up than I'd thought it would In Ireland, we don’t do Barbecue.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                      Anyone who wants to give pulled pork a go. Thread over on boards with detailed instructions which is amazing.

Sorry for the delay folks, this took a little longer to write up than I'd thought it would In Ireland, we don’t do Barbecue.

Opr
                                                      been cooking pulled pork in the slow cooker for about a year. easiest dish to make and tastes great.

If its the thread im thinking of then he discards the skin. Thats a big no no, use it to make crackling. and serve with the pulled pork

Comment

Beef and Stout Casserole

600g Stewing beef
                                                        400g Carrots cut into chunks
                                                        300g red peppers cut in chunks
                                                        400g Baby Potatoes halfed
                                                        150g Onions cut in chunks
                                                        150g Courguette cut in chunks
                                                        500ml Stout
                                                        250-500ml Beef stock
                                                        1 tsp whole back peppercorns crushed
                                                        4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
                                                        2 Bay leaves
                                                        1 tbsp Olive Oil

1. Heat oil in large metal casserole dish. Add beef + Onions and brown well
                                                        2. Add Carrots, peppers, courgettes, potatoes, black peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves. Stir together
                                                        3. Pour stout into dish. Add beef stock and stir everything well.
                                                        4. Cover casserole dish and place in oven for 2 hours at 160.

On these cold days a bowl of this is incredible heart warming stuff.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                          Beef and Stout Casserole

600g Stewing beef
                                                          400g Carrots cut into chunks
                                                          300g red peppers cut in chunks
                                                          400g Baby Potatoes halfed
                                                          150g Onions cut in chunks
                                                          150g Courguette cut in chunks
                                                          500ml Stout
                                                          250-500ml Beef stock
                                                          1 tsp whole back peppercorns crushed
                                                          4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
                                                          2 Bay leaves
                                                          1 tbsp Olive Oil

1. Heat oil in large metal casserole dish. Add beef + Onions and brown well
                                                          2. Add Carrots, peppers, courgettes, potatoes, black peppercorns, garlic and bay leaves. Stir together
                                                          3. Pour stout into dish. Add beef stock and stir everything well.
                                                          4. Cover casserole dish and place in oven for 2 hours at 160.

On these cold days a bowl of this is incredible heart warming stuff.

Opr
                                                          I would colour/soften the onions and carrots 1st and remove (add celery imho)
                                                          Then brown of beef (dusting of flour on beef for thicker sauce). I would also go to butcher and get him to slice an inch and half thick hung frying steak and chunk it yourself. more expensive but much tastier imho.
                                                          remove beef after browning
                                                          Deglaze pan with a glass of red before adding all back

Comment

I go to butchers the day before and ask him to put aside diff cuts of steak for me stew. Collect them the day of cooking for a nice PIC n mix of beef. Agree with drunken about the onions and carrots also the flour, I always roll steak pieces in seasoned flour before browning in small batches. Fwiw when I make a roast any gravey left over I freeze for adding to stews.

Comment

I'm an awful cook and every time I want to make some food I watch Jamie Oliver's YouTube channel. His recipes are superyummy and actually easy to make. Love this dude. He's got that "Money saving meals" series which are pretty awesome

Comment

Bump.

Anyone have/use a slow cooker? Recommended?

Comment

I bought one and used it once. I'm sure it's great though and I keep meaning to do stuff in it again.

Comment

Use it for thai green curry (use chicken thighs though).

Use it to cook big pork shoulder joints with any/all root vegetables, stock and wine for excellent casseroles too.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                      Bump.

Anyone have/use a slow cooker? Recommended?
                                                                      The idea of doing all the prep in morning put me off. If I wanted say a stew I cook evening before and reheat.

Comment

Thanks lads. They're only cheap so think I might pick one up. If it ends up only used once like Dom's it's not the end of the world.

Comment

Did you get one Keane?

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                          The idea of doing all the prep in morning put me off. If I wanted say a stew I cook evening before and reheat.
                                                                          I've leisurely mornings and finish work late so doing the prep in the morning would appeal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            Did you get one Keane?

I've leisurely mornings and finish work late so doing the prep in the morning would appeal to me.
                                                                            Yeah I did. I've done a Indian-ish chicken curry and a vegetable soup in it so far.

The curry was only so-so due to being slightly overpowered by ginger, the soup turned out very well.

I might look at putting together a stew tomorrow.

Comment

is this the ALDI one ? I picked one up also, made a beef type dish in it last week, turned out very OK. Im planning a lamb dish wed, ill let ye know how that goes.
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

No just some €20 yoke from argos.

Comment

I keep meaning to do a beef stew in the slow cooker but failing to get around to it, anyone done one?

Comment

I keep meaning to do a beef stew in the slow cooker but failing to get around to it, anyone done one?
                                                                                    Yes, with red wine and beef stock and it was unreal, some crusty bread of course
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Yes, with red wine and beef stock and it was unreal, some crusty bread of course
                                                                                      Yeah I was thinking a couple of carrots, some celery, spuds, mushrooms, peas, garlic, shallots and diced beef with a glug of dry red and a beef stock pot.

A bit of thyme, salt, pepper and a bay leaf too obvs.

Yeah definitely going to give this a spin in the near future, my mouth is watering thinking about it!

Comment

Yeah I was thinking a couple of carrots, some celery, spuds, mushrooms, peas, garlic, shallots and diced beef with a glug of dry red and a beef stock pot.

Yeah definitely going to give this a spin in the near future, my mouth is watering thinking about it!
                                                                                        Plenty of thyme. Leave mushrooms out until the end I was told.
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

get a "bouquet garni" and a few bay leaves, and use wine you would actually drink rather than cheap plonk.

Comment

get a "bouquet garni" and a few bay leaves, and use wine you would actually drink rather than cheap plonk.
                                                                                            There is no distinction between these two categories.

Where would I get a bouquet garni?

Comment

most supermarkets now sell them in in the herbs section (usually sold in boxes of 2 or 3 sachets). failing that, then just get some herbes de provence and put a healthy smattering of those.

Comment

...
                                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                  Is that true with the 'wine you would actually drink'?
                                                                                                  The cheapest bottle in the shop always tends to do a great job, I doubt Id notice anyhow
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

You're using it for flavour, so presumably want something decent!

Comment

Absolutely. You should be drinking the same wine you used to make your stew. usually, the better the wine, the better the stew (within reason obviously).

Comment

The cheapest bottle in the shop always tends to do a great job, I doubt Id notice anyhow
                                                                                                        That being said Id usually drink the 2nd or 3rd cheapest, might not be the best judge
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

Ah cool. It's just that most places have a cooking wine that's ultra-cheap. E.g. there's a standard 250ml cooking wine bottle in every supermarket here for €0.70. Was assuming ye guys had worked it out.
                                                                                                            ah come on, you're in France now. Vegetables have actual taste over there, there's a huge variety of them, and wine is cheap enough for you not to be using cooking wine.

Comment

...

Comment

Made that stew after, was very nice. Forgot to get the bouquet garni (sorry shrap).

Hoping there's another Ireland game on this weekend? Want an excuse to make Mellor's coca-cola chicken wings and some homemade nachos with chilli beef, guac etc.

Any other ideas for that sort of watching sports grub I could rustle up as I'm at it?

Comment

You can just tie up bay leaves, type, parsley and rosemary with string if you are stuck as that is basically what is in them. I have a few pieces of muslim cloth I wrap them in to stop all the bits of rosemary floating round my dinner from when it breaks down.

When making a stew I never put the potatoes in but serve with roasties instead. Also use shallots instead of onions and dont be afraid to add some smoked streaky bacon because like all things it goes really well.

Shrap is correct on the wine as we would all know a French man would be. If you add something with a lot of body and flavour that goes into your sauce. If you add something with a horrible acidic tang than that is what you get instead.

In short my recipe for stew is Beuf Burginon which is pretty similar to stew but better because it is the french version.

Comment

Must get some muslin good idea, hate having bits of herbs floating around in the broth at the end

Comment

Must get some muslin good idea, hate having bits of herbs floating around in the broth at the end
                                                                                                                      that's why you buy the sachets in the supermarket as it's all done for you

Comment

Originally posted by Allez Les Verts View Post
                                                                                                                        that's why you buy the sachets in the supermarket as it's all done for you
                                                                                                                        Fuckin hell you're very touchy about your bouquet. A google image search reveals no muslin so forgive my ignorance you auld bollocks

Comment

Fuckin hell you're very touchy about your bouquet. A google image search reveals no muslin so forgive my ignorance you auld bollocks
                                                                                                                          ah i was just trying to make life easy for you! Richie's method is fine, and is the traditional method if you've got all those fresh herbs handy.

re little nibbles for the game, cheese goujere are delicious (little choux pastry cheese balls, YUM)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X