X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks truly epic.

Holy calories Batman!

Will have to make it some time as a special treat though.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      Made it tonight in honour of El Classico - it was awesome:

Pics Below:

The prawns are cooling off on the top right, the saffron is diffusing on the left and the chicken is browning away on the bottom right.

SPOILER

After adding the garlic to the chicken I decided to add in a load of bacon bits and some chorizo as well cos I'm a boss

SPOILER

The veg is ready to go (added mushrooms cos I love them)
      SPOILER

Had to transfer to a big pot because there was too much food!
      SPOILER

The finished product
      SPOILER

Was really tasty, ty for the recipe Bryan, I'll be cooking that again.
      Would love to make this, and chance you could do something with the pics tho as I can't see them. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        Would love to make this, and chance you could do something with the pics tho as I can't see them. Thanks
        Sure, I'll re-up them and see if I can get them working.

They work for me at the moment but they're linked from my gmail account so that could be the problem.

Comment

Edited now, should be ok.

Comment

One thing that reall speeds up prep time is being good at chopping meat and veg.
            Technique can make all the difference

Onions
            The biggest problem for most people when chopping onions is watering eyes. As well as some people just making it far more work than it needs to be. This method helps with both

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc&NR[/ame]

One of the tricky ones is the pepper. They are just not as straight forward shaped as carrots for example. A year or so ago I seen this video on a gordon ramsay show (sorry no youtube). Found this a big help.

Just seen this video on the crossfit, looks like it could be a new winner

Related to pepper are chillis
            The hardest thing for me was always getting the seeds out. They are what give most of the spice, I don't mind some, but they are far too many in the average chilli, they also make it harder to chop finely. gordon saves the day again

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swG4bLayLpA[/ame]

Comment

Looking at those Gordon Ramsey videos makes me want a good proper knife (leave out the crocodile Dundee jokes lads, it's just too easy.)

Is knife buying the same as buying a bike? Need to shell out a fair few quid otherwise it's just false economy.
              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

You can get a fantastic chef's knife for under €50.

I bought an 8" one in homestore and more for €30 or so and it's brilliant.

It's called a 'Stellar Sabatier' and it comes in 10" also, Rasta bought one too.

Make sure if you are buying one that it's made from forged steel, ie it's one piece of steel with the handle riveted on rather than a separate blade and handle.

Also, re onions and crying, if you store the ones you're gonna chop for cooking in the fridge you won't get the tears.

Keep salad/sandwich onions in the press as they lose taste when chilled, same goes for tomatoes.

Alternatively wear a pair of swimming goggles when chopping
                Last edited by Lazare; 03-05-11, 18:34.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cheers for that Lazare,

re: onions and crying, I thought that the tears come from the smell of the onions or similar. I seem to be more or less immune to it at this stage (unless i get some really strong onions) but I find that chewing on some bread crust works well.

Comment

yeah wouldn't mind buying a set of good knives myself, the ones i have are brutally bad/blunt

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                      Also, re onions and crying, if you store the ones you're gonna chop for cooking in the fridge you won't get the tears.
                      I try and do the whole not slicing the root thing that Ramsay mentions above, works pretty well, don't completely avoid it but defo redices it imo.

I'm in a share house at the moment, set of terrible knives here. I can't justify buying good knives as they walk away.
                      The guys here are morons, there's one guy who is (I think indian) and he hasn't a clue about food hygine. Last week he left two raw chicken legs in a sieve/colander and just threw it into the fridge on top of something else uncovered.

Comment

Just came up with a lovely recipe I can share.

Ingredients:

Chicken fillet
                        Quinoa
                        Peas
                        Nandos sauce.

Simple stuff, pop your quiona and peas into seperate pans. You'll know the quinoa is done when all the water has drained. When done mix them together, then grill/BBQ your chicken, cut it up and add it to the mix. Then serve and apply your sauce.

Simple to prepare, very tasty and healthy. Ticks all the right boxs.

Comment

That looks awesome.

Comment

Hitch made this post on the BBV the other day:

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                            Going to make this fingers-crossed:

comes from Madhur Jaffrey's most excellent 'Curry Easy' book

Guess i can get Garam Masala in the Chinese shop, despite its Indian origin? Not sure where to get coriander though, primarily proud of having google confirm that its a herb.
                            I HAD to try it, here's the TR (images spoilered):

First things first, no large amount of food prep goes on in my house without one of these:

SPOILER

To start, here's the ingredients laid out, I decided to add some chilli and some lemon juice for extra flavour:

SPOILER

Diced up the garlic, chilli and coriander pretty fine before adding it, along with the lemon juice and spices, to the pork:

SPOILER

I let the meat-loaf jobby marinating in the fridge overnight, then decided at the last minute to make some sauce to go in the pita. If you know your Indian food, it's the standard mint sauce they usually serve with kebabs and things.

It's just Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, some garlic, some parsley and mint all blended together:

SPOILER

Here's the loaf split into burgers and tossed on the pan:

SPOILER

Get the pitas under the grill:

SPOILER

The burgers browning up nicely:

SPOILER

The finished product:

SPOILER

Probably goes without saying after putting this much effort into the post, but they were unbelievably good - I have a new signature dish

Comment

Great photos.
                              Looks v nice too.

Comment

Nice job Keane (and HH), there's a good chance I'm going to make that for a girl quite soon and take all the credit.

hopefully I get a blowjob at least out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                  Nice job Keane (and HH), there's a good chance I'm going to make that for a girl quite soon and take all the credit.

hopefully I get a blowjob at least out of it
                                  As long as you post an equally detailed and well photographed trip report we'll be happy enough.

Comment

One question, I don't make much indian based food but I know that Garam Marsala is basically mixed curry spices (as opposed to chilli spices).
                                    Why an off the shelf curry powder do, I happened to buy this one last night (planninga risky curried chicken stock, I'll report here if it works)

Comment

One question, I don't make much indian based food but I know that Garam Marsala is basically mixed curry spices (as opposed to chilli spices).
                                      Why an off the shelf curry powder do, I happened to buy this one last night (planninga risky curried chicken stock, I'll report here if it works)
                                      The coriander is the strongest flavour in the patty by far anyway so I wouldn't expect any major problems with using that stuff at all.

Comment

I did a variation of the patty as well tonight. As Tony and I are on a strict low carb diet I didn't have it on a pitta but with a salad. I added some fresh mint to the mix as well and you could really taste that and was lovely. Have more left for tomorrow as well nom nom nom

I did the variation more like you did Keane with chillies and lemon juice but I forgot to lift fresh chillies at the shop so used the crushed chillies I had and they were spicy. Would defo try this again.

Good recipe HH & Keane.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9FRSghXhDM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Jesus that looks digusting

Comment

Vegan Black Metal Chef - this is one of the most awesome things i have ever seen. It gets even better as it progresses...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

Superquinn have introduced an amazing range of curry pastes, I've tried them all and each one is fantastic.

This one is the best of the lot...

I made it the last time with fillet beef, I'm using chicken this time.

I'm making a coconut rice with basmati using this recipe. Gonna toast some coconut flakes and fry thin onion untill it's crispy and garnish the rice along with some chopped coriander.

Some mini naan in the oven for dippage and moppage, can't wait.

Comment

Finished article, delizziozo...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    I'll have to admit, the following recipe may kill you with sheer sexy awesomeness.
                                                    [*]Eat like a king[/LIST]

cool thread, this looks fukin amazing!

i have some tips for the busto/thrifty amongst us.

free range chicken oyster thighs in dunnes are 2.99 for 700grams. there way tastier than those shitty skinless breasts everyone eats and can be interchanged for breast in most recipes.

prep:
                                                    cutting the bone our is shit easy, just be sure to get the the little joint at the top if you don't like that texture. cot off the flap of thick skin with no flesh under it as it's over the top greasy if you leave this on. keep this skin, bones and trimmings in your freezer to make clear stocks. they have a different flavour/look to stocks made from roasted carcass, suits asian cooking in particular.

cookin:

season generously. the skin side can take a fair bit of salt and black pepper is, as always, your best friend. cook em skin side down on medium/low heat until the skin is v crispy, like 10/15 mins or so. take your time and check them, don't burn the skin. for the first few minutes it'll look kinda translucent like the early stage of roast chicken, then come in a deep brown. the browner/crisper the better obv, the thick skin and high fat content of the flesh helps keep them v juicy.

crank the heat, flip them and caramelize the fleshy side briefly (~1min) then lower the heat quick smart cover and cook on a low heat until done, prob less than 5 mins, depends on size.

for a lazy dinner these chicken pieces are great plain, with just a squeeze of lemon, honey mustard mayo, sweet chilli sauce or whatever is quick and easy really. serve with whatever veg (green veg best imo, balance high fat content) and carb combo you like.

my favourite way to use them is put about 400/500mls of teriyaki (1:1 ratio of soy to mirin or sake, demerara sugar to taste) in before you flip and cover them. cook them in the liquor for ~5 mins. there will be a load of fatty teriyaki sauce left on the bottom of the pan that goes great with stir fried veg and rice or noodles. i use thick rice noodles and garlic, ginger, chilli, carrot, spring onion and mixed peppers in the stir fry drenched in the teriyaki during cooking.

stir frying tip: have a glass of water or a liquid such as the one described above beside you while stir frying. you should be doing it on super high heat for as little time as possible. this can be tricky for european cooks as everything is sweated and is less likely to burn/overcook. if you see/smell something burning or all your oil has been absorbed a splash of the liquid will calm things down and also quick cook (steam) the ingredients helping you get a more evenly cooked result.

if your making curries or anything that has chicken poached in a sauce just rip off the skin and de-bone the pieces for a way cheaper and tastier dish.

!!fuck battery chicken farming!!

pasta is cheap and great as we all know. don't get stuck making only things in tomato or cream sauces. you can use it in a similar way to noodles in stir-fry, experimentation is the key to success. white wine is your friend.

when making pasta sauces tinned fish is a cheap and genuinely tasty alternative to fresh. wild alaskan salmon is really affordable and tastes great in white wine cream sauce. tuna with white wine, garlic, onion, mushroom, lemon, loadsa fresh basil and parmesan, winner for fuck all money.

always make pasta sauces in a big enough pot/pan to add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix before serving. saw some italian dude waxing lyrical about this on tv and it's too true. scoop a mug of the pasta water out before draining to add to your finished product if it's too runny or you need to flesh out not enough sauce. over a low heat sauce stir in little glugs of the water, the starch released from the pasta during cooking will thicken your sauce without the claggy effects of a rue or cornflour. also as was alluded to in the OP the ratio of 1 litre water, 100 grams pasta, 10 grams salt should be roughly followed. overcooked under seasoned pasta is for philistines.

overly wordy post over!
                                                    Last edited by BuChan; 17-05-11, 04:32.

Comment

Agree about the Wild sammon BuChan. That stuff is the nuts.

Comment

I did a monster dish last week.
                                                        Coke-fried chicken
                                                        I forgot to take pics and had actually forgotten about it until BuChan extoled the virtues of Thighs....
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The Chicken thighs in Tesco come without the bone if you want to save time.

Comment

Both Ways Curry

This is pretty much my own recipie, so please include any suggestions.
                                                            I'm currently back on a calorie cut, and in my opinion to get good result with a diet to need to be eating tastey food. Cabbage soup or celery sticks taste like shite and will drive you made. The secret to rastey food is subsitution, making low cal version of regualr meals that taste just as good (or almost just as good )

This recipe is two versions, a low cal version and a regualar cal version (still better than the jar sauces), the methos is the same and only a few ingredients change. So you can switch between the two depending on current diet plan, you could even make both at the same time to satisfy other family members with no effort. Although be careful when you tell the wife you are making her the skinny version
                                                            both versions use chicken thighs, breast is lower fat but as there is no added fat in the skinny version, thighs are perfect to add flavour and keep it moist.

Ingredients - serves two
                                                            400g chicken thighs, diced
                                                            1 onion, course chopped
                                                            2 cloves garlic finely chopped
                                                            small piece of Ginger, grated or chopped
                                                            10 Cherry tomatos, quatered (tinned chopped toms would be fine too)

Skinny verision
                                                            Curry power (something like this)
                                                            Chicken stock (low salt is a good idea)

Fat version
                                                            Curry paste - what ever brand or style you prefer
                                                            Coconut cream
                                                            1. Heat some oil in a heavy pan and toss in the chicken pieces. Keep them on the heat until well browned and amlost fully cooked.
                                                            2. Put the onions, garlic and ginger into the pan and allow to soften. Make sure mix well with all the juices and bits left behind from the chicken.
                                                            3. Add cherry tomatos and allow them to soften and sweat in the heat
                                                            4. Return the chicken to the pan. Add 4 teaspoons curry powder/paste. (+/- depending on your taste). Mix powder fully through chicken and onions. Allow to cook for a while but don't let the spices burn.
                                                            5. Add chicken stock/coconut cream and give it a good mix. adjust heat to a simmer and let the curry reduce.

Serve over your choice of rice, noodles or steamed vegetables

-Enjoy

It's not the most elaborate curry in the world, but my main idea behind the recipie was keeping ingredients to a min.

Comment

guys - i'd love to order fajitas for a party im having soon. The champions league we're having a party for it, but there isnt such thing as a mexican/spanish delivery.

There'll be 20 or so. Is it too hard to try and cook for this many? Dont fancy slaving over a stove . . .

Any ideas? Any simple mexican dishes that could be made without too much hassle?

Thanks in advance
                                                              GAA News Website

Comment

Fajitas are extremely easy to make. I'm sure someone has a recipe for really good ones, but I always just use the tesco own brand packets (find them nicer then any branded stuff). Literally just fry a load of chicken and some peppers and onions, put the shake on it, heat up the wraps and you're ready to go.

Comment

yeh i think ill go with fajitas
                                                                  Gordon was giving me some advice. so what im thinking is;

Large bowls of Guac, Chopped lettuce, chopped tomatoe, grated cheese (mozzarrella good?) , chopped onions, Peppers?, salsa
                                                                  Think ill fry some mushroom just before i serve also

are these all ok raw or should i fry any of them?

then ill cook thin chicken strips and then the same with beef, with the wraps and chicken warm in the oven at that time.

Am i missing anything?
                                                                  GAA News Website

Comment

The good thing about fajitas, and most mexican food is that you can serve each part separately and allow people to assemble themselves. Easier for you, everyone only gets what they want.

Chicken mix
                                                                    Seasoning - 5 packets of old el paso or similar. Not the jar, the sachet of dry powder.
                                                                    Chicken - lots. Get what ever is economical. Thighs prehaps. Divide into 5.
                                                                    Veg - onions and peppers. 5 medium sized of each

Cook as per packet instructions. It's pretty simple. Brown chicken in some oil, add seasoning, toss about, add onions and peppers. Cook through. Becareful the powder doesn't burn. If it gets too dry add a tiny bit of water and mix about. This makes a kind of wet sauce on the chicken.
                                                                    Cook in 5 batches.
                                                                    Put it into a metal tray, should pick up a decent sized on in the supermarket.

Tortilas - Buy the mini tortilla, work better in a party setting. About 20 people so about 60 should do it. 5 packs of 12. Separate them and give a few seconds in the microwave. Heats and softens them. Just keep microwaving more as needed.

Serve the chicken mix along with bowls of salsa, guacamole, sour cream and grated cheese. you can prob judge amounts yourself, you'll need more salsa than guac and sour cream. Some people like to have some lettuce for them, not needed imo.
                                                                    You can buy the salsa and guac. but it you have a blender is easy to make your own.

Guacmole:
                                                                    mix the following in a blender for smooth guac, or mash it by hand for chunky
                                                                    4 large avocados, flesh only
                                                                    2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
                                                                    1 tomatoe, seeds removed, finely chopped
                                                                    1 garlic clove, crushed
                                                                    1/4 tsp chilli powder
                                                                    Salt

Salsa:
                                                                    2 cans diced tomatoes
                                                                    2 jalepeno (green) chiles, seeds removed (see my video a few posts back), finely chopped,
                                                                    1 thinly sliced onion
                                                                    bunch of chopped fresh corriander
                                                                    2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
                                                                    1 clove garlic, minced
                                                                    salt

Toss it in a bowl and mix.
                                                                    you should prob double the quantities to have enough for everyone

Comment

Yeah, what you listed is pretty close to what I have.
                                                                      Chopped toms are prob not need with the salsa there, but might be good option for somebody who doesn't like spicy food, same with lettuce.
                                                                      mozerellla or cheddar is fine

One thing I forgot to list was chopped jalepenos.
                                                                      Buy a jar or two or picked jalepenos, so so much nicer than fresh imo. Should be with the old el paso stuff

Comment

need to put some coriander in your guacamole recipe imo, id go for something along these lines . its what the mexi's used in dallas.

4 avocadoes
                                                                        1/4 cup lime juice
                                                                        1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
                                                                        1 jalapeno
                                                                        1 clove garlic
                                                                        1/4 cup finely chopped onion
                                                                        1tbl spoon olive oil.
                                                                        1/2 tsp sea salt
                                                                        1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

The one thing im raging about leaving behind there is from when i worked witha swiss master pastry chef, obviously got a hold of his recipe book and photocopied it, forgot to being it home and sickened coz the stuff in it was majestic. might stick up some desserts as lots of this seem to be mains etc

Comment

Sorry, ye corriander in the guac too, thought i had it there, seen it was only the salsa,

dying for mexican now.
                                                                          think I'll make chilli tonight
                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 19-05-11, 00:55.

Comment

Must throw up some dishwasher recipes soon.
                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                              Must throw up some dishwasher recipes soon.
                                                                              I heard Paulo Tulio on the radio a few months ago explaining how to cook whole fish in the dishwasher, keep meaning to try it for the fun.

Comment

Microwave Mug Cake
                                                                                4 tablespoons flour
                                                                                3 tablespoons sugar (i've seen it listed with 2-5 tablespoons, so go with whatever you think)
                                                                                2 tablespoons cocoa
                                                                                1 egg
                                                                                3 tablespoons milk
                                                                                3 tablespoons butter or oil
                                                                                vanilla essence
                                                                                2 tablespoon choc chips

It'll make one large or two small mug cakes (depending on size of mug)
                                                                                • Mix all dry ingredients well in a mug (or mugs).
                                                                                • If butter is very hard soften in with a few seconds in the microwave. Lightly whisk the egg in a bowl.
                                                                                • Add milk, butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla to mug and mix well. Add eggs and give one last mix.
                                                                                • You can sprinkle an extra spoon of chocolate chips on top of the mix here.
                                                                                • Cooking time will vary depending on power of the microwave. One mug at a time, microwave for 90 seconds on medium power. Check the consistancy. If it needs more cooking, give it another 30 seconds and check. Repeat if required. It's ready when cooked but still moist and gooey in. Too long and it'll dry out.
                                                                                • Eat from the mug or run a knife around the edge and tip on to a plate. Serve with a generous spoonfull of ice-cream
                                                                                Got around to this last night.
                                                                                Was far better than expected, from raw ingredients to hot chocolate cake in 3 minutes, sure fire way to impress the ladyfriends

Comment

i suppose it pretty much goes without saying but
                                                                                  homemade pizza is soooooooooooooooooooooo much better than any other of the ones that you get and really easy to make.
                                                                                  i will stick it up anyhow.

400g strong white flour
                                                                                  7g yeast
                                                                                  250ml of warm water
                                                                                  pinch of salt
                                                                                  pinch of sugar
                                                                                  drop of olive oil

place the yeast in the warm water add a pinch of salt and let it sit for a few mins. sift the flour and add the pinch of sugar gradually mix the water and yeast in to it. lob it out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10mins adding more flour until you get a nice dough texture and shape into a ball.
                                                                                  in a large bowl pour in about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and using your hand smear around all the internal surface of the bowl and place the dough into the bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave for about 2hours to rise.

pour it out of the bowl onto a floured surface and press down to get all the air out, another quick knead. i now cut this in half as i use two flat baking trays that i have and they measure about 16"x12" so you may have to cut this into 3 or 4 pieces depending on what size baking trays you have. next using your hands and rolling pin shape the dough to suit your tray. lightly flour/dust your tray.

for the tomato sauce i just simply get a can of roma chopped tomatoes and give them a shot of the blender, this gives a generous covering of sauce to the pizza (no such thing as two much sauce)

cover with the toppings of your choice and bang it in the oven at about 200 for about 20mins.

tip:
                                                                                  place the dough in the fridge for 30mins before shaping it,

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Enchiladas have been my go to dish for a long time, but I've always just used the Old El Paso kit because it's pretty damn delicious.

I decided to try making my own sauce the other night and seeing how it worked out.

First and most important thing is the selection of spices. I went for:

1 Tbsp cumin, cayeene pepper, ground coriander, paprika, black pepper, garlic

1/2 Tbsp salt and just a little bit of sugar.

SPOILER

Got a tin of chopped tomatoes, blended them a tiny bit to smoothen slightly, then mixed in the spices along with a tube of tomato puree.

SPOILER

Chopped up some carrots, mushrooms and bell peppers, I like to leave them chunky and try not to overcook them so the enchiladas have a bit of a crunch in the end.

SPOILER

I cook the chicken and veg in separate pans since there's probably too muck food to cook it all together, but when everything is cooked sufficiently I mix everything together before addind in most of the sauce.

Sprinkling in a good handful of grated cheese at this stage is a good idea imo as it gives the mix a nice texture and also makes stuff sort of clump together which is helpful when you're spooning into the wraps.

SPOILER

Fill the wraps on an oven dish that has been lubricated with butter or spray oil or something.

SPOILER

Spread the remaining sauce over the bad boys, cover liberally with cheese.

SPOILER

Bang them in the over at around 180 for around 10 minutes, basically till the cheese starts to brown and the wraps start to crisp up a little (these didn't get left in long enough IMO because I delegated the removing from the oven and serving job - if you want things done right etc)

SPOILER

People often serve them with rice or salad or whatever, but that's for pansies IMO, just stuff yourself with meat, veg, wraps and sauce until you can't stands no more

I also usually chop up some smoked rashers and cook them with the chicken - forgot to buy them this time around - but they add a great extra depth to the flavour.

This worked out very well and was easy as fuck to do, give it a try.

Comment

Blackberry and white chocolate cheesecake

Ingredients:

The Base,

300g nice sized chocolate chip cookies, can mix and match or use digestive biscuits
                                                                                      125g real butter
                                                                                      Large handful of whole hazelnuts

The cheesecake itself

2 x 250g packets of cream cheese
                                                                                      300 ml double cream
                                                                                      200g white chocolate, 2 large bars will do
                                                                                      110g caster sugar
                                                                                      3 teaspoons gelatine powder or 6 sheets depending what you have
                                                                                      1 punnet blackberries

The topping

150g sugar
                                                                                      130ml water
                                                                                      300g Strawberry for puree
                                                                                      2 teaspoons gelatine
                                                                                      Large handful of random fruits, cherries, blackberries, raspberries,strawberries etc

I suggest doing up the syrup and topping puree first as needs time to cool. Place the sugar and water in a bowl and bring to the boil stirring occasionally. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until it has a shimmery colour to it. Place in a bowl and leave to cool(freezer works best). Chop up the 350g strawberries and place in a blender with 60-70ml of the syrup (Keep the rest for later). Once its not still boiling then its ok if slightly warm. take your puree and pass it through a strainer, or sieve until only the liquid remains in a bowl. leave to cool

now start with the base, find a dish that has decent depth as it will be needed, I tend to use the round cake trays with the removable sides as looks better for presentation.

In a large pot over medium heat crumble up the biscuits with your hands into the pot. add in the butter making sure its cut up into smaller pieces. With a wooden spoon keep stirring and breaking up the biscuits as the butter melts. It should turn dark and somewhat golden brown, Some larger pieces are good but make sure its mainly a fine crumble, Take your hazelnuts(or whatever nut you want) and roughly chop them up. Add them into pot and stir them in.

When this is done get your dish ready and put all the crumbled biscuit into it, smooth it out with a wooden spoon and i use the bottom of a bowl but press down on the mixture to firm it up, make sure its level and thick enough as the crunch from the base is essential. Place it in the fridge to cool while preparing the rest.

Take 3/4 of your chocolate and chop roughly, place it in a bowl and then bowl on a pot with hot water in it and on a low to medium heat, chocolate will slowly melt away. take the final 1/4 of it and cut into equal squares about half a centimetre big. take off the heat when melted as the hot water will do enough to keep it liquid

You will probably need 2 larger bowls for convenience sake, Whip up all your cream(300ml) in one til soft peaks form and leave to one side.

If using gelatine powder place 3 teaspoons in a cup, pour 60 ml cold water into this and stir til fully blended in, when this gets firmish place cup into a dish of hot water to melt it slowly.

So now you have cream and gelatine set to one side. Mix the 2 250g packets of cream cheese with the 110g caster sugar until blended smooth. With the blackberries, cut them in half and add in 2/3rds to the cream cheese as well as the gelatine and mix very slowly if using a machine as you dont want to turn them into mush.

Fold in the whipped cream in gentle strokes trying not turn the berries into mush again, when the cream, cream cheese and gelatine are all blended together add in the final third of blackberries and the remaining square peices of white chocolate mix gently once more.

Take out your base and place half the mixture in it, smooth it out, then with a normal spoon drizzle the melted white chocolate across back and forth. Should have enough to criss cross the entire thing. Place the remaining cheesecake mixture on top and smooth out and place in fridge to set a little.

For the topping blend the gelatine with 50ml of water again. Place 50ml of the syrup and the fruit puree in a pot on a medium heat, remove from the heat and stir the gelatine mixture in, leave to cool slightly or blast it in the freezer making sure its not hot, Literally pour the entire mixture over your cheesecake mousse and place in the fridge to chill and set.

Prepare the other assortment of fruit you have, i like to cut strawberries and cherries in half and leave blackberries,raspberries whole (Also only use the best pieces)When the topping seems set either place the fruit together in the middle of it, or around the side or all on one side of the dish, you can also add whipped cream under the fruit or between the pieces, basically decorate as you please.

Comment

Of the many proud barbecue traditions across the USA, Tim Hayward's favourite is the pulled pork of North Carolina

Sweet Jesus
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                          cover with clingfilm and leave for about 2hours to rise.

pour it out of the bowl onto a floured surface and press down to get all the air out,
                                                                                          Making homemade pizza for the first time tonight (i'll get pics) and have a question, maybe a silly one.

Whats the point in letting the dough rise for two hours, if you then press all the air out?

Comment

Been meaning to write this up for ages.

Andy's Epic Stirfry

Ingredients:

Groundnut oil (any kind of oil is fine but groundnut is more authentic)
                                                                                            Sesame oil (the secret ingredient)
                                                                                            Cornflour
                                                                                            Chinese 5-spice
                                                                                            Chili powder
                                                                                            3 eggs
                                                                                            Chicken
                                                                                            Rice
                                                                                            Peppers
                                                                                            Spring onions
                                                                                            Chilis
                                                                                            Light soy sauce

Take one egg and seperate out the white. Pour it into a bowl and add some cornflour, sesame oil (not much, this stuff is strong), 5-spice and chili powder (not a lot, it will soak in and become quite strong). Mix it up into a paste. Chop the chicken, put it in the bowl and mix it all up until the chicken is coated in goo. Leave it in the fridge for a bit to marinade. A few hours is better but it doesn't have to be that long really.

Boil the rice. Chop up the peppers and chilis. Fry the chicken in groundnut oil (preferably in a big wok) until it's sealed. Add the veg and fry a bit more. Add some more 5-spice.

Take all that out of the pan and add some more oil. Pour in the other two eggs and the leftover yolk from the first one and sitr until they're scrambled. Scrape that into a bowl.

Put some more oil in the wok. Bung the rice in and stir like crazy. Sprinkle a load of light soy sauce over it while stirring so it's all evenly brown. Pour in a good dollop of sesame oil. Add the spring onions. Add the scrambled egg and mix it in. Put the chicken and veg back in and mix it up.

Plop it on a plate and commence epic nommage.
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Can anyone give me some recipes for healthy egg-based breakfast options?

Will need them from scratch as I'm am a complete novice in the kitchen.

Comment

Making homemade pizza for the first time tonight (i'll get pics) and have a question, maybe a silly one.

Whats the point in letting the dough rise for two hours, if you then press all the air out?
                                                                                                not too sure tbh, i just assumed it was to do with activating the yeast .

Comment

I'm having pork chops - the boringest chop in chop universe - for dinner tonight.

Anyone suggest a way to jazz it up a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                    I'm having pork chops - the boringest chop in chop universe - for dinner tonight.

Anyone suggest a way to jazz it up a bit?
                                                                                                    cover it in spices, peppers, onions, wrap in tinfoil, lash in oven.

Pretty much anything with decent flavour on it tbh, cumin, cayenne, paprika, 5spice, apples, lemons, limes etc.

Leave it in on a low heat for a good while.

Or you can pour half a can of cider into a pyrex dish, place chop inside, place in oven, and consume the rest of the can of cider

Comment

Thanks dude, sounds jazzy as fuck.

Comment

Any one got any healthy minced beef recipes. I skimmed the thread and didn't see any, so apologies if I missed any.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                          Any one got any healthy minced beef recipes. I skimmed the thread and didn't see any, so apologies if I missed any.
                                                                                                          I get my butcher to mince up 8 x 1/2lb bags a time of eyeroast which leaves the mince fat free (more or less)

My Spag Bol recipe..

fry off diced carrot/onion/celery/garlic for 3 mins
                                                                                                          add 2 slices streaky bacon chopped and the mince (1/2lb) and cook till grains are separate and browned
                                                                                                          add tin chopped tomatoes/tomato puree/250ml beef stock and a glass of red wine along with a bay leaf and some lemon juice (or a slice of lemon)
                                                                                                          bring to boil then simmer for 30 mins at least adding wine if it starts to thicken too much

have been known to use a whole bottle on a slow simmer for 4 hrs !!!

obv serve with spaghetti sprinkled with shavings of parmesan

also this is good for a lasangne as well..just need to make the cheese sauce

Comment

If you want an easy peasey chilli, just fry off the mince with any veg that takes your fancy (I throw anything and everything - besides onions which I hate - in, but suggestions would be things like bell peppers, mushrooms, carrot, maybe some fresh chillis or jalapenos).

Add a tablespoon of each of paprika, chilli powder, cayenne chilli pepper (maybe dial this one back if you don't like too spicy - it's hot as hell), some garlic, a nice bit of black pepper.

When the meat is pretty well cooked through, add in a tin of chopped tomatoes and maybe half a tin of mixed beans, turn the heat down and cover the pan letting what you've got simmer for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

That's from memory, and I'm pretty sure everytime I throw it together I do it somewhat differently, but something along those lines should do you a job.

EDIT: Add some bacon or chorizo or something to the mince if you want to give it a nice smokey flavour.

Comment

Balsamic Strawberries and Cream

Balsamic Strawberries and Cream

Taken from Cooking forum on boards, i was skeptical, but I like vineagr dishes so gace it a spin. The sweetness really off sets the vinegar and you barely recognaise it.

The tennis is on afterall...

Ingredients
                                                                                                              Strawberries (225g punnet is lots for two)
                                                                                                              Sugar
                                                                                                              Balsamic Vinegar
                                                                                                              Black pepper (optional)
                                                                                                              Thick Cream or yogurt to serve

Step 1: Chop strawberries into small pieces, I found the smaller the better.
                                                                                                              SPOILER

Step 2: Sprinkle over a decent spoon or two of sugar. This will draw out the moisture.
                                                                                                              SPOILER

Step 3: Pour over 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Use more if you are using more sugar or strawberries. Grind over some black pepper now if you like, it's hard to taste anyway. too much will over power it.
                                                                                                              SPOILER

Step 4: Leave in the fridge for at least an hour, the longer the better. The sugar has to dissolve and the liquid starts to turn to a light syrup. (see in the spoon)
                                                                                                              SPOILER

You can eat it as is, or serve with thick cream or greek yogurt.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                                Got another one for you here that I just thought of:

One of my friends makes a shepherds pie effort using nothing but mince, veg and this stuff:

Fries the mince and veg, adds about half a jar of the herbs then bangs it in the oven for about ten minutes with some mash on top. Just leave out the mash if you want low carb.

I assume the herbs themselves are just thyme, oregano and garlic or something, but whatever that particular blend is is very good anyway.

Comment

cooking steak later and looking for nice garlic sauce recipe

intention atm is to rest steaks after cooking and add garlic before deglaze pan with white wine and reduce down and add double cream/chopped parsley

Comment

well ended up just cooking steaks in butter and a dash of olive oil/ resting them when done and added garlic to pan and double cream and deglazed that way with no wine.....effin lovely fwiw

Comment

Anyone got a good recipe/guide for making a stock and subsequent stew/soup from a chicken carcass?

Comment

Ordered this in a thai place last week. Was marvelous. googled the recipie, and its surprizingly simple. It's also very healthy/low cal, as there is no creamy or fatty sauce like other dishes.

Crying Tiger

Ingredients
                                                                                                                        Steak or steak pieces, rib eye works well
                                                                                                                        Fish sauce
                                                                                                                        Soy sauce
                                                                                                                        2 Red birds eye chillis (they're the small ones, failing that one normal red chilli)
                                                                                                                        1 lime
                                                                                                                        Brown Sugar (white will do)
                                                                                                                        • In a large bowl add equal amount of fish and soy sauce. Enough to coat the beef.
                                                                                                                        • Add steak to the sauce mix. If using whole steak, score the outside with a knife. Toss to coat well and leave to marinade for 1hr
                                                                                                                        • Remove all or most of the seeds, Finely chop the chillis. toss about a hot dry pan for 30-60 seconds to soften and let the flavour out. Keep them moving to prevent burning.
                                                                                                                        • Chilli sauce. In a small bowl mixed 3 tablespoons of fish sauce, the juice of half a lime, the chopped chillis and 1 teaspoon of sugar. You can mix the amount around to taste, the above is enough for two people.
                                                                                                                        • Optional Add a teaspoon of rice to a hot pan and toast it. As with the chilli keep moving until its browned. Remove and grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar, add this to the dipping sauce (I didn't bother as i've no mortar, it thickens it up a bit but not essential)
                                                                                                                        • When steak is marinaded remove from bowl and cook to medium. I pan fried it, but ideally you want to barbeque it.
                                                                                                                        • When cooked, slice into strips and serve with mixed veg. Pour the chilli sauce over the beef before serving.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 29-07-11, 00:13.

Comment

Was living with an Italian Chef for a few months in Oz and was treated to a few delicious meals, going to give Zuchini and Prawn Linguine a go tonight with some Bruschetta to start. Ridiculously simple meal and very tasty.

Bruschetta:

A load of tomatoes diced, load of nice olive oil and some chopped basil, seasoned with salt and pepper. For the bread a nice sourdough is best but i'm using staleish baguettes tonight. Just slice em up to your liking and whack on a hot pan till toasted nicely then rub with a garlic clove before topping with the tomatoes.

Prawn and Zuchini:

Kinda making this up off the top off my head as i can't remember exactly what he did but it goes a little something like this:

Chop the zuchini into slices a couple of centimetres thick, then half them. Get them going in a pan with some oil, salt, pepper and chilli flakes, cover them and leave to cook and soften on a medium heat for a few minutes before adding the prawns (I'm just using pre-cooked ones). Cook tilll hot through then whack it all together with your linguine (forgot to say cook this but its a given) Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X