Player 1

Boy bands and Brittany belong in the bin

Nothing more 90's than Radiohead letting it rip on Jools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50UVfgwVuA

Some Instant Karma as recompense from the recent public murder of Imagine

John Lennon at his peak.
    https://youtu.be/xLy2SaSQAtA

Player 2

90s - any amount of good stuff, so close to pulling the trigger on some eurodance but will go with this,never gets old

https://youtu.be/XUwSfXCnuXc

General pick- only really got into this guy recently
    https://youtu.be/2hwfkagAYD0
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-04-20, 12:01.

Again, 4 great choices.

I only listened to OK Computer last week, classic. I bought Deserter's Songs on the back of Goddess on a Highway.

The main thing for me is that I am now on a John Grant search, something I was meaning to do for ages but never got around to it until hearing Marz so Player 2 wins for me.

Comment

Player 2 for me. Paranoid Android is the best song overall but like both of player two's picks a lot more than player one's 2nd pick

Comment

4 great picks, enjoyed all of them but player 1 is way too safe here.

Bonus point for player 2 for introducing me to John Grant

Comment

Player 1 for me although loses 1 point for not coupling instant Karma with Karma Police.

Mercury Rev are amazing but I never was crazy about that particular one

Good round . We appear to be getting better at this .

Comment

Player 2

Comment

Great round! Player one, but it's close.

The video to instant karma is great, the bass player is barely pretending to pay, Yoko Ono knitting & Mal Evans looking like he is there at gun point, whilst John and the drummer go hell for leather.

Comment

I listened to player 1 and thought they would win, then I listened to player 2 and I think they win.
                Both first choices were songs I really liked, with player 2's being the first song in any of these comps to be in my playlist already. Preferred the second pick of player 2 more so they win.

Player 2

Comment

strange to see two live performances, player 1 for me

Comment

Good round except for Yoko Ono appearance
                    Player 2 wins just

Comment

Tight enough round and plenty to ponder.

Not a big Radiohead fan for a variety of obscure (and largely snobbish and probably unfair) reasons but that's a good song for sure.

I could never really warm to Lennon post-Beatles TBH (I could never warm to the very late-era Beatles either I suppose) but I think this song is ok. Had to google about the drumming though as some of it seems laughably incongruous - interesting tale of a hastily-arranged Phil Spector session. Makes sense now why it doesn't sound fully finished. Interesting video at any rate.

Mercury Rev were, I suppose, an indie band made good and this is kinda the sound of indie bands making good in the late 90s. Pretty solid major/indie tune, probably a little overproduced though.

Not really big on the John Grant sound but I liked this video and the kinda ghostly (The Exorcist!) Tubular Bells motif.

Hmmm... gotta give it to Player 1 I think.

Comment

Err pretty much what Benny said

Although that might be only song on Deserter songs that I don't like, that being the last album I bought by Mercury Rev (ya I liked them before they were big etc)

Went to see them 4 or 5 times around when they released Deserter songs

Fiver first time, tenner next etc, played the Olimpia about a year or two later and tickets were 50 fwir (I didn't go)

Anyhu Player 1
                        Last edited by Elshambles; 08-04-20, 00:24.
                        PMA

Comment

Player 2
                          airport, lol

Comment

player 1
                            Really enjoyed both P1 picks, P2 not so much.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I want to give it to Player 2 as Radiohead/John Lennon feel a little safe but I just really don't like that John Grant song.
                              Overall I far prefer Player 1's picks so somewhat hesitantly I have to give it to Player 1

Comment

7:7. Stays open until 6.

Comment

Player 1 picked out two incredible live studio performances there
                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                    Player 1 picked out two incredible live studio performances there
                                    I'd be shocked if that Lennon song is live, Lennon himself and the drummer (for a bit) giving it socks, the rest...not so much
                                    Last edited by Elshambles; 08-04-20, 12:33.
                                    PMA

Comment

He's singing over a backing track no? The drums sound like a tin of beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        He's singing over a backing track no? The drums sound like a tin of beans.
                                        Not the sound, he was giving it the full Monty for a bit with regards to putting on a show, other two lads barley holding their instruments for half it

Maybe Lennon is singing, maybe they are playing, but I doubt it

I'd happily be proved wrong!
                                        Last edited by Elshambles; 08-04-20, 13:55.
                                        PMA

Comment

Player 2 for me

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                            Player 2 for me
                                            ffs Paul

Stays open until 12 tomorrow.

Comment

Tough one. 4x great tunes. Radiohead with arguably one of the best Jools performances of all time with that. Have watched that about 20 times.

Genre winner for me although Mercury Rev song is class too.

Grant winning the battle of the Johns in this particular case for me, right now.

Close one but pipping it ever so slightly to Player 1
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

90s - any amount of good stuff, so close to pulling the trigger on some eurodance but will go with this,never gets old

Is it just me or..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ewcqq6s8hg

Comment

New radicals album was released 3 weeks after the Mercury Rev one

Playing in the background while he was finishing writing the last songs?

Bit tight...

Both have a similar record collection and lifted from same song?
                                                  Last edited by Elshambles; 09-04-20, 00:48.
                                                  PMA

Comment

bump

Comment

I'll give it until 6 and then flip a coin.

Comment

On recount, looks like SP inches ahead of PSV.

That's the last of the qualifying rounds.

IPB not working on my computer. I'll do a summary tomorrow

Comment

Player 2

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                            Player 2

Too late you let the aul fella win with the music king equivalent off 11 men behind the ball .
                                                            “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Player 1

Boy bands and Brittany belong in the bin

Nothing more 90's than Radiohead letting it rip on Jools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50UVfgwVuA

Some Instant Karma as recompense from the recent public murder of Imagine

John Lennon at his peak.
                                                              https://youtu.be/xLy2SaSQAtA

Player 2

General pick- only really got into this guy recently
                                                              https://youtu.be/2hwfkagAYD0
                                                              Player 1,Paranoid Android Without a doubt the masterpiece of this band. This theme has everything musically possible, madness, psychedelia, hope, sadness.
                                                              Last edited by aradii; 06-06-20, 12:33.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X