Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    Tue/Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun sounds like a good timetable actually. Obviously been out mon/tues this week already so I might skip thurs/fri this week and change over next week. Or do long run sat this week maybe.
    Yeah, main thing is not to stress over it.

That structure is my standard week, but I regularly deviate from it. Just back from a run now, but didn't run yesterday.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yeah, main thing is not to stress over it.

That structure is my standard week, but I regularly deviate from it. Just back from a run now, but didn't run yesterday.
      I took yesterday off and I'm going to go out again in a little while now and do my longer run tomorrow. It suits me well enough to get out around lunchtime with WFH so might be a better fit to do M-T-W and then F-S. The main thing is just to build a bit of momentum anyway. It was good to get out a few days in a row for the first time in a good while but I need to keep it going.

Comment

I took yesterday off and I'm going to go out again in a little while now and do my longer run tomorrow. It suits me well enough to get out around lunchtime with WFH so might be a better fit to do M-T-W and then F-S. The main thing is just to build a bit of momentum anyway. It was good to get out a few days in a row for the first time in a good while but I need to keep it going.
        Absolutely, do what works. Consecutive days consistently done are amazing for your growth.

Comment

Thought I would do an update while I'm having my coffee

​​​​​​Routine is not as full on as it was for the first 10 weeks of the year. Had several weeks with bad neck pain around end of march and into April that just took the joy out of doing anything....still got out a bit but was forcing myself.

Thankfully that subsided to the "normal" low pain/stiffness level I'm accustomed to and have been getting out fairly consistently for the past few weeks.

Building the jogging up slowly by breaking it into sections during a session. So this am ventured out at 6.30 and walked for 20 mins then jog for 1.5Km walk again for a bit then jog 800m, walk then jog last 450 a lttle bit faster.
          Seems to be working fine as no problems with calf but if I did 3k continuous I would probably get a niggle in it so will continue with this strategy and gradually extend the range.
          ​​​​​​

Weight is steady on 14 stone so have not backtracked at all and not feeling any lack in terms of food etc.
          So goal of 13 stone very achievable.

​​

Comment

Re the sub 40, I'm really not sure. My next target is a 5k in May that I'm gonna attempt a sub 19 at.

10k is next on the list after that. If the 5k goes to plan the sub 40 should be at least on my mind.
            Managed this last night at Leixlip 5k.

Ran 18:47.

Confident now of having a crack at sub 40 at Dunshaughlin 10k.

Comment

Woo hoo!

Did my fastest half marathon in nearly 10 years today.

Just 1min 11secs outside my decade-old PB.
              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 21-05-23, 22:02.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                Woo hoo!

Get the fook in there!! Well done man.

Comment

Woo hoo!

Some going! What time did you manage? Have you been working on it or just ran care-free?

Comment

I remember some one telling me that if you want to be considered a “good” runner, the template is a sub-40min 10km.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                      I remember some one telling me that if you want to be considered a “good” runner, the template is a sub-40min 10km.
                      I'm not being smarrt but sub 40 is very attainable for a guy like you. I think it's a target ye should aim for . Conor will crush it soon and he knows it. Can see a sub 38 there this year . Keep it up lads a ling summer ahead to crush it. Trying to shed 5k in the gym myself atm . My food addiction sez feck off.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm not being smarrt but sub 40 is very attainable for a guy like you. I think it's a target ye should aim for . Conor will crush it soon and he knows it. Can see a sub 38 there this year . Keep it up lads a ling summer ahead to crush it. Trying to shed 5k in the gym myself atm . My food addiction sez feck off.
                        Conor has a good chance at it, id have none at all my best 10km is 45:01 at the moment and that was after good training. I can barely do 22min 5kms at the moment as I’m out of training for a while now.

Comment

Conor has a good chance at it, id have none at all my best 10km is 45:01 at the moment and that was after good training. I can barely do 22min 5kms at the moment as I’m out of training for a while now.
                          Hmmm 22 min whilst out of training. Thats pretty good . Maybe we've shifted to a new dimension but 40 is something thats achievable if you train for it. You hit 45 with good training. Perhaps focus on technique? Maybe yer happy as is . Just saying dont think yourself out of it.

Comment

Haven't been particularly consistent with this but had been doing a good amount of running almost entirely at nice slow paces up to the end of last week. Did a really strong 12.5k-ish for the Run Killarney 10k last weekend and was feeling quite positive about the half marathon but have had a bit of a roadblock since having been away on a stag over the weekend came home extrememly fresh but back to a small boy just starting to cut his back molars so have had basically no sleep for a week and the thought of going for a run feels quite scary. I'm going to get out now shortly and try to do something in the 10k range to see how it feels.

I wonder is it too late to do something like a 10 miler to see how the body copes with extra distance with the half just 12 days away?

Comment

Haven't been particularly consistent with this but had been doing a good amount of running almost entirely at nice slow paces up to the end of last week. Did a really strong 12.5k-ish for the Run Killarney 10k last weekend and was feeling quite positive about the half marathon but have had a bit of a roadblock since having been away on a stag over the weekend came home extrememly fresh but back to a small boy just starting to cut his back molars so have had basically no sleep for a week and the thought of going for a run feels quite scary. I'm going to get out now shortly and try to do something in the 10k range to see how it feels.

I wonder is it too late to do something like a 10 miler to see how the body copes with extra distance with the half just 12 days away?
                              Wouldn't stress too much on it...I would stick with the original plan and you will be fine on the day I would think.
                              Don't force anything now as that's exactly when injuries happen. Better to get to the day perhaps a little underprepared than an injury now and miss out.

You will power through on the day!

Comment

Yeah, agree with dinekes, try not to stress it. Also understand that it's totally normal and fine to have a few doubts.

You'll have no problem with the distance on the day. Have you a target pace in mind for it?

Comment

Thanks lads. I have run a half once before so I would be fairly confident I could hobble home in any event. It would be nice to break two hours so 5:40/km in an ideal world, but I would be quite happy with anything south of 6 min/km so maybe I should pace it for that and increase in the back end if there's gas in the tank.

10k in Killarney was 5:26 having started much slower than I needed as there were three of us together. One guy is a good bit stronger than me and the other is a bit weaker - after about 4k we stronger two upped the pace a bit then 2k farther on I picked up again although the strongest guy had already distanced me at that stage. I was under pressure the last 1500m a bit but wasn't puking at the line or anything. Chip time was 53:26, race predictor is giving me 5:35 for a half based off it. Had done a couple of km warming up as well.
                                  KM Pace /km GAP /km Elev m
                                  1 06:32 06:25 6
                                  2 05:44 05:42 1
                                  3 05:54 05:42 11
                                  4 05:40 05:39 -1
                                  5 05:20 05:25 -11
                                  6 05:20 05:22 -5
                                  7 05:05 04:59 6
                                  8 05:13 05:07 -1
                                  9 05:09 05:09 -3
                                  10 05:13 05:09 2

Comment

Might still try something in the region of 12-14k (very slow pace) today just for a confidence boost but will just spin out some short runs after that.

Comment

Yeah so I did around 11.6km there while ago at 6:11/km average and it didn't help

Found it quite tough but am conscious of the fact that I would probably run a lot more easily if I could get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately the small fella is suspected of having picked up chicken pox in creche now so all bets off.

Comment

Yeah so I did around 11.6km there while ago at 6:11/km average and it didn't help

Found it quite tough but am conscious of the fact that I would probably run a lot more easily if I could get a good night's sleep. Unfortunately the small fella is suspected of having picked up chicken pox in creche now so all bets off.
                                        The best laid plans etc. I wouldn’t read too much into how you felt today, if you got a good nights sleep before the race you’ll be flying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Hmmm 22 min whilst out of training. Thats pretty good . Maybe we've shifted to a new dimension but 40 is something thats achievable if you train for it. You hit 45 with good training. Perhaps focus on technique? Maybe yer happy as is . Just saying dont think yourself out of it.
                                          I think mentally I would hit a wall aiming for a 40mins, especially as any spare time I have now I’m using for Tennis rather than running, but would love to try and hit that at some point.

Comment

Thanks lads. I have run a half once before so I would be fairly confident I could hobble home in any event. It would be nice to break two hours so 5:40/km in an ideal world, but I would be quite happy with anything south of 6 min/km so maybe I should pace it for that and increase in the back end if there's gas in the tank.

10k in Killarney was 5:26 having started much slower than I needed as there were three of us together. One guy is a good bit stronger than me and the other is a bit weaker - after about 4k we stronger two upped the pace a bit then 2k farther on I picked up again although the strongest guy had already distanced me at that stage. I was under pressure the last 1500m a bit but wasn't puking at the line or anything. Chip time was 53:26, race predictor is giving me 5:35 for a half based off it. Had done a couple of km warming up as well.
                                            KM Pace /km GAP /km Elev m
                                            1 06:32 06:25 6
                                            2 05:44 05:42 1
                                            3 05:54 05:42 11
                                            4 05:40 05:39 -1
                                            5 05:20 05:25 -11
                                            6 05:20 05:22 -5
                                            7 05:05 04:59 6
                                            8 05:13 05:07 -1
                                            9 05:09 05:09 -3
                                            10 05:13 05:09 2
                                            Well done man, that's a really strong finish. Take a lot of confidence from that, and as Joe said, don't worry at all about how you felt on today's 11.6. It doesn't matter and is pretty standard fare anyway.

Have a good healthy lead up to it in terms of lifestyle, and do your best to sleep well.

You'll fly it, and will manage that pace with no problem.

Also remember that the pace may feel tough. It's suppposed to.

Comment

I think mentally I would hit a wall aiming for a 40mins, especially as any spare time I have now I’m using for Tennis rather than running, but would love to try and hit that at some point.
                                              Would be no bother to you Joe if you did focus on it.

Comment

Building up nicely with the jogging
                                                Like I was saying just taking it handy with continuous distance and taking breaks

So this AM I did 2.1...walk a bit...then 1.5...walk then 500 metres a bit faster. With good stretches

Went out this eve too with a 2.1, 1.5, 250 fast and a 500 metre.

I did 3km continuous one day recently but don't want to push it with the calf. This joining the dots approach seems to be working for me

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                  Building up nicely with the jogging
                                                  Like I was saying just taking it handy with continuous distance and taking breaks

So this AM I did 2.1...walk a bit...then 1.5...walk then 500 metres a bit faster. With good stretches

Went out this eve too with a 2.1, 1.5, 250 fast and a 500 metre.

I did 3km continuous one day recently but don't want to push it with the calf. This joining the dots approach seems to be working for me

As a wise man once said, “start slow and taper off” !

Comment

Some going! What time did you manage? Have you been working on it or just ran care-free?
                                                    Sorry GL2M missed this question. 2:06.39. It’s very flat and I felt a pound or two lighter Than usual plus conditions were pretty perfect.

really dunno if I’ll ever manage to beat 2:05.25 set in 2014 but, relatively speaking I’m sure this run was better.

i never try to beat previous times or train for anything. I just run and the goal is solely to keep running for as long as I can, onto my 60s at least hopefully. Am 51 now and been back at it again for just over 10 years. So can’t compare now to my early 30s.

will be back again to do this fast lane run in October I think when they run it again.

(Note when I first ran in my early 30s in early 2000s I reckon my half PB would have been around the 1:45 mark. No devices then and never kept a record of times but based on my one marathon that’s what it would have looked like.)
                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 08-06-23, 20:36.

Comment

Never forget the benefits of packing your running gear when going on a trip!

Yesterday morning I did a memorable 10Km in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath in north London on the last day of my week-long family holiday.

It had an elevation of about 120 meters - all uphill for the first 5km, then all down hill.

I paid a visit to a random, deserted pergola and wild garden, ran through a strange and unexpected modernist flat complex on the edge of the heath, seemingly built into the landscape (rather than on it), passed a couple of interesting blue plaque houses one of which belonged to Lord Leverhulme, jogged past the old toll bridge for the heath, ran some trails, got completely lost on the way back and ran through an estate of million-quid houses - all in glorious sunshine with two huge blisters on the balls of my feet from walking around London so much in the preceding few day.

Here's some video...

7 likes, 4 comments - stoat_of_mendes on June 10, 2023: "10k morning run in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath, London #running #trailrunning #runningl..."

7 likes, 2 comments - stoat_of_mendes on June 10, 2023: "10k morning run in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath, London #running #trailrunning #runningl..."

1 likes, 0 comments - stoat_of_mendes on June 10, 2023: "10k morning run in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath, London #running #trailrunning #runningl..."

Favourite run of the year so far and it nearly didn't happen cos of the blisters but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to explore.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 10-06-23, 18:26.

Comment

Never forget the benefits of packing your running gear when going on a trip!

Yesterday morning I did a memorable 10Km in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath in north London on the last day of my week-long family holiday.

It had an elevation of about 120 meters - all uphill for the first 5km, then all down hill.

I paid a visit to a random, deserted pergola and wild garden, ran through a strange and unexpected modernist flat complex on the edge of the heath, seemingly built into the landscape (rather than on it), passed a couple of interesting blue plaque houses one of which belonged to Lord Leverhulme, jogged past the old toll bridge for the heath, ran some trails, got completely lost on the way back and ran through an estate of million-quid houses - all in glorious sunshine with two huge blisters on the balls of my feet from walking around London so much in the preceding few day.

Here's some video...

7 likes, 4 comments - stoat_of_mendes on June 10, 2023: "10k morning run in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath, London #running #trailrunning #runningl..."

7 likes, 2 comments - stoat_of_mendes on June 10, 2023: "10k morning run in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath, London #running #trailrunning #runningl..."

1 likes, 0 comments - stoat_of_mendes on June 10, 2023: "10k morning run in Golders Hill park and Hampstead Heath, London #running #trailrunning #runningl..."

Favourite run of the year so far and it nearly didn't happen cos of the blisters but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to explore.

There’s nothing quite like running around a city to enjoy it/take it in.

Comment

Agonisingly close tonight at Dunshaughlin. 40:03 chip time.

Felt some cramp coming on at about 8k that scuppered it. 9th km could have been 15 secs quicker if it wasn't for it, lungs were in great shape. Will have to figure that out.

Not complaining though, delighted with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                            2022 Report
                                                            3. Never did venture into a proper race - I guess the first step might be to use the internet to actually find out where/when they are on !

2023 Goals
                                                            Definitely do some proper races in 2023. Will read here and boards to find out when they are on. Maybe someone throw a link if there's a website that collates them?
                                                            Well, excitingly I've signed up for a local race on Thursday evening, Clonee 10K. Have only ran the distance twice this year (I get bored around 7K) but have done ~53min each time.
                                                            So something in that vicinity would be nice. Hit a PB of 24.30 on last parkrun so should be achievable. But even if slower it just becomes a target to beat in the future.

Comment

Well, excitingly I've signed up for a local race on Thursday evening, Clonee 10K. Have only ran the distance twice this year (I get bored around 7K) but have done ~53min each time.
                                                              So something in that vicinity would be nice. Hit a PB of 24.30 on last parkrun so should be achievable. But even if slower it just becomes a target to beat in the future.
                                                              We were only talking about this tonight, how to predict your 10k time from your 5k best.

Consensus is double plus 60-90 secs, so you're well on for a great PB at Clonee.

Go for it

Comment

Wow, every muscle and bone hurts even after a 10 hour sleep. Thank fuck I took today off.
                                                                Very different experience to parkrun - everyone is still very friendly and encouraging, good banter etc but at the core of it they are serious runners.
                                                                I don't get involved in clock or distance watching as I go, just try to keep running.
                                                                But was a bit shocked when I eventually noticed a sign saying 6K as in my head I thought it should say 7K. Realised then I was in a bit of trouble as not a lot left in the tank.
                                                                Decided to ease off until 8K, then pick it up. At 8K decided to wait until 9K then a big effort. I tried for the final K but nothing doing so just eased home.
                                                                Looking at the detail afterwards, I went something like 5:03, 5:07, 5:12:, 5:20, 5:25 etc. That trend continued into the second 5K.

Final score was 53:40, so a bit slower then what I hoped/expected. But it's a time to aim at in the future.
                                                                Much fun anyway. Now back to the sofa.

Comment

Agonisingly close tonight at Dunshaughlin. 40:03 chip time.

Felt some cramp coming on at about 8k that scuppered it. 9th km could have been 15 secs quicker if it wasn't for it, lungs were in great shape. Will have to figure that out.

Not complaining though, delighted with it.
                                                                  Holy shit 40:03?! Unbelievable…

Comment

Brutal Clontarf Half yesterday. I ran 16 mins slower than the Fast Lane a few weeks ago and walked more than any half in memory. Wanted to quit from about 4k - desperate stuff.

30Km headwinds on the way back in muggy 20-22 degrees. I saw a record 6 people collapsed (3 was the previous worst I'd seen there) and 3 blue lights to the hospital. They ran out of ambulances and had a fire engine 1k from the end giving at least one poor girl oxygen and tending to someone else too.

Worst of all they changed the course so no more running on Bull Island - which was obviously a huge part of the attraction. I think maybe there aren't allowed on there anymore, I hope it wasn't voluntary anyway.

Now it's just a sea wall run (with a 2 k diversion off towards the island but doubling back before you see any sand) with an endless boring view.

So I doubt if I'll be back in November, possibly ending a 10 year run of looking forward to it.

It had record numbers, over 5,000 runners (inc over 1,000 for the 5 mile) so I suppose kudos to The Bear Races organisers. But it was clear there were a lot of newbies there (tons of familial support is always a sure sign us veterans never have any support ) and that might have impacted the casualties.

Onwards an upwards I suppose, gotta find another half for the end of the summer now, probably the Fast Lane in west Dublin on Oct 8.

Off to Enniscrone in August so looking forward to running 10kms on that magnificent beach every day.

Comment

PS... signed up for the Ratoath Half on Sept 9. Quite fancy running round Fairyhouse racecourse (one lap at the end of the race).

I'm going to a gig that night so hopefully no repeat of yesterday where I had a nap from 4.30 to 6pm and then was back in bed at 8pm (to 9am this morning!)

If that goes OK I'll probably be happy to finish the year with the Fast Lane in Clondalkin but it was hard last year - October weather can be unkind.

Comment

67:32 today at the Frank Duffy 10 mile for a PB.

Tough enough course and conditions so am happy with that.

Set a goal at the start of the year of PBing at 5k, 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon and full marathon.

Have done all so far bar the marathon. That's coming up in Oct and am confident.

Also set a PB in the mile for a bonus.

Great year so far.

Comment

Off to Enniscrone in August so looking forward to running 10kms on that magnificent beach every day.
                                                                          Got seven runs in 10 days, mostly beaches and boreens. Just as I like it.

Also did some 'wild swimming' in a quarry. I enjoyed it more than I'd anticipated (I hate being IN water but love being near it).
                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 25-08-23, 22:15.

Comment

I only have 374k done for the year so far, dreadful numbers (had to take two breaks, one due to my reoccurring back injury and one due to sickness during the summer). No chance of hitting my yearly target of 750k now, will end up somewhere between 500k and 600k I guess. Also slow as shit and a bit unfit due to the breaks, sigh!

Comment

Another killer half in Ratoath yesterday due to the heat. Not really sure what to make of it TBH. Was well organised at the start and finish in Fairyhouse racecourse but when we got out onto the roads there wasn't really enough water stations and couple of roads had busy enough traffic which was trying to weave its way through the runners on narrow country roads which I wasn't very keen on.

Saw my first runner turn back back before 5km and some had thrown the towel in and turned back right up to 10km. More people taking walking breaks than I've ever seen in a race, including me, probably for less than a kilometre or so overall but still disappointing as I view walking as a sign of defeat in a race.

Heard three ambulances wailing towards the end and two people collapsed in the final stretch running around the racecourse but there seemed to be no ambulances left to attend to them.

My time of 2:18.45 was probably OK in light of the heat, 5 mins faster than Clontarf a couple or months ago but still about 8 mins slower than I might have managed on a cooler day.

Might try and squeeze one more race in before the end of the year. Quite fancy a trail run but not paying 75 euro for that Ecotrails one in Wicklow on 30 Sept. Total rip off.
                                                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 10-09-23, 14:22.

Comment

A bit ater my last post I injured the calf yet again. Felt good one morning and just did an extra km or so and it must have torn again so didn't even attempt a jog for about 3 weeks.
                                                                                Slowly got back into it but still at the run 1km. walk stretch...500m..walk stretch etc. Still build up a good sweat though
                                                                                Not going to push it at all this time and just consolidate the small gains and build strength ...was feeling really strong this am but stopped regardless after 1km and stretched a bit then jogged on.

Still got a good sweat going so feels good.
                                                                                Almost cold shower is great just after.

Weightwise put back on 3 lbs after losing 14lb so refocusing on food intake.

Comment

67:32 today at the Frank Duffy 10 mile for a PB.

Tough enough course and conditions so am happy with that.

Set a goal at the start of the year of PBing at 5k, 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon and full marathon.

Have done all so far bar the marathon. That's coming up in Oct and am confident.

Also set a PB in the mile for a bonus.

Great year so far.
                                                                                  Managed it today at Amsterdam marathon with a 3:15:47 for an 11 min PB.

Teeny tiny bit bitter-sweet as I was targeting 3:10 and cramped a bit, but still, I'm thrilled.

Comment

Cross post from my training log on boards.

Amsterdam marathon race report.

SPOILER
                                                                                    Amsterdam Marathon 2023 - Race Report
                                                                                    Ambivalence, Bittersweet, whatever the terminology, that's the emotion right now. Although mostly sweet, 80/20 sweet.

For the purpose of this log, and to help my development as a runner I'm going to focus a little on that 20%, in the hope of getting some knowledgeable, no holds barred feedback from you guys.

We flew over on Sat morn, myself, @skyblue46 and @Laineyfrecks. Such an exciting day, we parted for our hotels then met up a little later at the Expo.
                                                                                    Expo was great, a really fantastic buzz about the place and number collection was pretty seamless. We went for a bit of grub then parted ways again to bunker down in our hotels.

I got everything ready for the morning and settled down on the bed at about 7pm for the night. Watched the Rugby then went to sleep.

I felt a fair bit of unease I have to say on the Saturday night. I'm a big proponent of belief, and how powerful it can be if it's unwavering.
                                                                                    I had to fight a little to instill it in myself on Saturday night. I think mostly though it was just pre race jitters, as I woke up Sunday morn feeling good, and feeling confident.

Went down at 6:30am for the hotel breakfast, had a muesli and coffee, then back to the room for a banana and began sipping on a Maurten 320. The hotel breakfast was packed with runners which was great.
                                                                                    The three of us had arranged to meet at 8:30am beside the bag drop.
                                                                                    I got off the tram and made my way there, about 1200m away from the venue.
                                                                                    I got caught up then in a disgusting hail storm and had to duck for cover. Panic a little as it was 8:30 and I was still about 800m away.
                                                                                    The hail stopped after 6 mins or so and I jogged to the meet point. Chaotic there with everyone trying to get changed and ready in the sparse dry sheltered spots.
                                                                                    Met the guys then and we dropped off the bags. We then struggled to find our entry point to the stadium. It was really poorly signposted I have to say, the event was really well organised except for this. Loads of people were milling around with panicked faces trying to find where to go.

We finally discovered our entry point and joined the melee of people. It resulted in us starting way way too far back in our corral. In hindsight we should have gotten there earlier but without experience of it who's to know. I found the whole start experience to be bit confusing and panicked, but again, a product of us getting delayed.
                                                                                    Somehow we're off and running.

My race plan was to spend the first 5k easing into goal pace. My 5k target split for 3:10 was 22:30 but I planned to go through there in about 23mins.

I ran a 5k shakeout on Saturday morn and spent the whole run visualising that. Hitting 5k 30 secs off goal, being 30-40 secs off each 5k split up until 30k then picking things up, ie, the dream mara.

Congestion was brutal though and I hit 5k 63 seconds behind, 23:33.
                                                                                    I'm not too bothered by it though at this stage, it can still be pulled back.
                                                                                    I managed to finally get to goal pace for km6 but hit frustrating traffic again in km 7.

This part of the course is a hairpin, I looked over to the left and saw the 3:10 pace group. I had planned pre race to position myself between them and the 3:20s. I noticed then that they were approaching the 9km marker and we hadn't hit 7 yet. Dawned on me then actually how far back we were starting off.

Around this point too I came upon the 3:30 pace group. The road was wide enough here for them not to be a problem and I eased by them without issue. As frustrating as the congestion was, I have to admit to it being a buzz overtaking so many people.
                                                                                    Second 5k split came in at 23:04, so we're now 97 seconds off target.

It's mad to think but I wasn't able to fully get into goal pace, relatively uninterrupted until 10 or 11km in.

Haven't mentioned fueling, but I was pretty good this time out. Had an alert on the watch every 30 mins and took a Maurten 100. Also had some electro chews that I munched on regularly, and took water at every station.

10 - 15k was pretty good pacewise, in and around goal pace for most of it, 22:47 for the split. Things had opened up a little.

15k - 20k - 23:01 split. Around the 16k mark, running along the beautiful stretch along the Amstel I got the expected seizing up of the right leg. I've mentioned this before, it's a weird thing that happens me very regularly where my right leg just, I dunno, goes funny. It's like I can't fully bend it or something and am dragging it. It always works itself out and I'm brand new again but it affects my stride and pace. It lasted a mile or so before clearing up.
                                                                                    I started to feel a few little warning shots of cramp in the right calf at this point, around 18k or so. Not enough to slow me down, but enough to scare me and add a bit of dread. I figured it was related to the weird seizing thing though and settled the mind.

20 - 25k - 22:52 split. We're on the return stretch of the Amstel for most of this and the weirdest thing happened that had me scratching my head and doubting myself. So I told you I passed the 3:30 pace group at km 8 or so. This stretch is very narrow and I all of a sudden came upon a congested group of 'slow' runners. Looked ahead at the flags and saw 3:30 and nearly lost my mind.

What the hell is going on here? I can't get passed them, try running the grass to the left and it's all uneven ground, try go through the middle and it's too chock full. I eventually get around them but was forced to run at 5:00 pace for a good 500m or so. I thought maybe I had read the previous flags wrong but no, Elaine said the same. Still can't get my head around it.

25 - 30k - 22:37 split. A good split, and am feeling really good right now. The odd warning shot of cramp in the left calf, but I'm still convinced it's fine.
                                                                                    In and around 30k I hear someone in the crowd shout 'C'mon Ireland' and I immediately know that it's Sean. I turn around to look and sure enough, he's on my tail. Just like Denis in our mile race, the crowd giving the game away for him. I waved to let him know I saw him.

30 - 35k - 23:17 split. Cramp is real now. Right calf. Can't maintain goal pace because of it. It's not forcing me to stop, but it's forcing me to dial it back. I'm just sh1t scared of it locking up, I know if it does I'll have a really bad time of it. Mad thing is though, I have periods where it's not a problem and I run strong and fast, unaffected. Happened around the 20 mile mark. I all of a sudden felt zero cramping and ran strong for about a mile. Then bang, a warning shot telling me to cool the jets. Sean caught up with me around 31k or so and we had a check in chat, he looked so strong, and sounded well in command of things. He pulled away and stormed on.

35 - 40k - 24:09 split. Yeah. Pretty brutal. Plans of lighting it up on the last 5k have to be ripped up. Just trying to run at a pace that won't require me stopping. You stop you're fooked.
                                                                                    Thankfully I never did.

I got another of those out of the blue bursts of feeling 100% and picked up the pace to goal for km 41, happy bleedin days I thought, felt awesome all of a sudden, ready to storm home for the closing mile, but then boom, the calf screamed at me, and the left quad and had to pull it back again.

Into Vondelpark for the closing kilometre and I can't quite believe I'm almost there. Agony but I'm running. Through the wall of crowd, past I AM AMSTERDAM, through the line of international flags and under the arch, on to the Stadium track and I still can't believe I'm here, the race is a blur, an epic, an instant, an emotional numb wreck of a human floating the last few metres, I look at my watch and see I can say I ran a 3:15 because nobody cares about seconds in a marathon.

Under in 3:15:47.

Embrace Sean straight away, him after running an absolutely amazing race, whacking his target with a glorious negative. Then we see Elaine come in after running the race of her life, a truly astounding heroic run. A massive negative and a target obliteration. So so happy for them.

I'm happy too. As I said, I'm 80/20 happy.

It's a big PB, 11 minutes, and if you'd offered me a 3:15 marathon two years ago I'd have bitten your hands and feet off.

If you'd offered me 3:30 I'd have bitten your hands off and here I am getting frustrated because a 3:30 pace group was in my way.

I get all of that, and I do realise I've come a long way, I'm delighted with how I've improved, but I can't help being a little bit (a teeny tiny bit) disappointed with the result.

I thought I was capable of 3:10 (or better) this time out, based on previous results but I obv wasn't. Maybe my mileage wasn't up to scratch in the early part of the year, I can improve on that. Who knows. The joys of this thing.

The 26.2.

It's a beast. A beautiful beast.

I'll be back for more
                                                                                    Last edited by Lazare; 17-10-23, 00:10.

Comment

Just saw this now Laz, that’s crazy to be disappointed! Massive PB… absolutely massive. There’ll be more races to come for sure.

are you doing Dublin?

Comment

Great trip report there Laz...fantastic run
                                                                                        Didn't quite get what you meant about the slow runners
                                                                                        Was it that the organisers made a mistake and sent out 2 groups of 3.30s one of which was in the wrong position?

Comment

Just saw this now Laz, that’s crazy to be disappointed! Massive PB… absolutely massive. There’ll be more races to come for sure.

are you doing Dublin?
                                                                                          Cheers Joe, ah I am really pleased with it as the days have gone on, as I said on it, I'd have bitten your hand off for that time a couple of years ago.

I'm not doing Dublin, my wife is so I'll be around the course supporting.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                            Great trip report there Laz...fantastic run
                                                                                            Didn't quite get what you meant about the slow runners
                                                                                            Was it that the organisers made a mistake and sent out 2 groups of 3.30s one of which was in the wrong position?
                                                                                            Ah cheers man. I've no idea what the craic was with it. I'd have just assumed I read the flags wrong on the first group if my m8 didn't also see it.

Pace groups can sometimes be split up but they're usually within 300m or so of each other. Maybe these two groups were 800m or so apart and it just took me 14k or so to close the gap. Was very confusing at the time though.

Comment

Cheers Joe, ah I am really pleased with it as the days have gone on, as I said on it, I'd have bitten your hand off for that time a couple of years ago.

I'm not doing Dublin, my wife is so I'll be around the course supporting.
                                                                                              I’ll be out on the road myself watching so will keep an eye out

Comment

Doing Dublin this week. My first marathon. Very excited.

Great TR Conor. Super achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                  Doing Dublin this week. My first marathon. Very excited.

Great TR Conor. Super achievement.
                                                                                                  Ah nice one David, it's such an exciting thing. Just like Xmas morning.

Have an absolute stormer.

Comment

Keep the powder dry for the first 12k or so, no harm averaging 15 secs or so slower than your goal km pace for that section. You'll be in a great position then to dial it up later on, passing everyone who went out too hot. So much time in the second half to make it up and more.

Comment

Dying to hear how things went David.

You must have ran with someone else's bib? Couldn't see you on the tracker.

Comment

Joining a club at last, Donore Harriers.

Had been loosely planning it anyway but my Milan marathon entry forced me to get on it.

Signed up to it the weekend of DCM and only found out afterwards that there's a shit load of obstacles in the way of competing at it unless you're a member of your country's Athletics Association.

Would have had to submit ECG tests, a urine test and a Sprirograph, signed off by a GP, then wait for incompetent Italian beurocracy to sign off. I read reviews online where people said they didn't get the all clear to run until 4 days before the event. Regretted signing up for it tbh.

Comment

2023 Targets
                                                                                                          See no reason that 900K can't be achieved again, if I continue to be remarkably niggle free (my fellow 50something peers (feel so old) seem to have failing hips/ankles/knees galore so that'll probably get me eventually). But now that 900K has been done, 1000K seems a tantalising target. I guess I'll have an idea after the winter months whether it's possible.

As said progress slowed somewhat on weight loss after getting rid of the initial easy excess. So a more moderate target in 2023 of getting from 89kg to 83kg, roughly a stone in old money.

Definitely do some proper races in 2023. Will read here and boards to find out when they are on. Maybe someone throw a link if there's a website that collates them?

Times - have come to accept I'm a slow bastard when losing all that weight only takes 4 minutes off my 5K times. A few more PBs would be nice though, 24 minute 5K should be doable in summer.
                                                                                                          2023 Report
                                                                                                          Didn't quite manage to be niggle free as caught a dose of plantar fasciitis in early July. At least this time I knew what it was so was able to control it and run through it using v slow runs of 6.5/7 min per km for a few months.
                                                                                                          It stopped me doing a load of planned parkruns in summer though. I ended up only doing a handful of 5Ks throughout the year. PB'ed with 24:33 in May but would have liked a bit faster.
                                                                                                          Then had shoulder tendinitis which was just annoying and made running not a lot of fun for a while, so limited myself to short 3K runs for a month.

Crushed the 1000km target with 10 days to spare, will end up around 1030km.

Ran one proper 10K race in Clonee - enjoyable albeit I didn't run particularly well or cleverly (walking 7K to the start-line is in hindsight not clever)

Weight didn't move much, pretty much spend the whole year in the 87-89kg zone.

2024 Targets
                                                                                                          Average out at 3K a day, which would be 1100km for the year.
                                                                                                          Try to keep pushing the weight down, 83kg target again.
                                                                                                          Do Clonee 10K again and do it better - find another such race or two as well.
                                                                                                          Do more parkruns and try to get below 24:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                            I can't remember the last time I posted up fitness goals and am too lazy/embarrassed to look back as they were epic failures so am going to try post some realistic goals to keep me motivated during the year.

1) Run 350Km

2) Run 5km under 25:00

3) Swim 100Km

4) Weight down from current 101.5Kg to 88Kg

2023 Report.

Can really be summed up in two words - Epic Failure,

The running just never took off - Between shins splints and the pain at the bottom of my leg, top of my foot, I just didn't get to do any mileage at all.

Swimming wasn't much better and only did about 15-20 Km out of the planned 100.

On the plus side, I managed to shed just over half a stone.

For 2024 goals are a bit more realistic!

1) Weight down to 88Kg

2) Swim 100Km

3) Run 150km

4) Do a 5K run in under 27 minutes

Comment

Actually, this year, I'm going to post quarterly updates in here which should act as a bit of motivation!

First update to come on March 31st 2024!

Comment

2022 goals vs achieved:

1,500 km target but 1,175 achieved. Putting it down to back in the office a bit, a family death and losing about 4 weeks to various mild illnesses like head colds. Still my third best year in the last 10 years but a wee bit disappointing nonetheless.

4 half marathons target and 3 achieved. Had to drop x1 due another commitment taking precedent. Did one really fast one in Wexford (maybe by third or fourth fastest of the last decade). So think I still have a sub 2:06 in me somewhere. Also did one of my harshest in Oct at Clontarf.

Lose 3 kilos target - added 3 kilos on average. Oh well, the joys of fluctuating weight when you're over 50. Thinks its mostly dietary as I do enjoy bread and biscuits which counteracts the intermittent fasting. Am planning more salads and less sugar though so hopefully I can get on a downward slope again between now and summer.

2003 goals:

1,250km - more realistic than 1,500 I feel and still a stretch on my usual 1,000. If achieved would be my new 3rd best in 11 years so I'd take that.
                                                                                                                4 halfs - same as usual. Might mix up em up this year. will deffo keep the x2 Clontarf but have a hankering after somewhere a little more far flung that Wexford and Wicklow. But that's just to see something different. The main thins is to try and get one in per quarter.

I don't really have any time goals. I don't do 5kms as a rule, certainly not consistently like at a Parkrun. Maybe I should try and start thinking about that. Do a few and see if I can set a new record. Have GAA Sat morning with the young fella though so that kinda gets in the way.

Anyway, good luck with your goals in 2023 - one step at a time lads!
                                                                                                                A 'treading water' year I suppose you could call 2023.

I got a new job (2 days in office) which meant I revised my target down from 1250km to 1000km in spring when it became clear I had a lot less time for daytime running than before.

Completed 1001km with one day to spare. Quite happy with that as, TBH, it was a struggle at times. Working for a German company where they routinely forget Dublin is an hour behind and gobble up your lunch hour with a meeting. First world problem mind you...

Think I gained 2kg rather than lost 3 so this year the goal is to lose 5kg to stabilise around 80kg. Hoping to reduce red meat a lot and eat much more vegetarian/pescatarian (about 50% of diet) starting tomorrow! That's more about cholesterol but hopefully if I can also control the sugar/carb intake I can make a consistent change.

Did 4 half marathons and my biggest buzz was running my second fastest one in years - I'll take that!

Wouldn't mind trying a new one or two. Dropping Clontarf for sure as it's turned to shit since they changed the course and gave it a new start. Wicklow, Wexford and Fastlane (west Dublin) the most likely for now and maybe something scenic out west.

This year will largely just be more of the same - 4 halfs, 1000km, some new locations.

If I can change anything it would be to do with stretching. I only stretch for half marathons. Never for a regular run, I just get up and go.

I'm getting older and stiffer and feel I should do something now before the balance tips and it's too late.

if anyone has any suggestions on a good program/guru (like for yoga) let me know.

Cheers and good luck to all of you who dig in and also to those of you who need a dig out Keep the updates coming! (esp. Lazare who continues to be an inspiration - very interested to hear what going a club is like. I really enjoy the solitary aspect of running and never thought I'd dig the 'community' aspect of joining a club but I am intrigued!)

Anyway happy new year - tomorrow is a new dawn, get those running shoes on!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                  Actually, this year, I'm going to post quarterly updates in here which should act as a bit of motivation!

First update to come on March 31st 2024!
                                                                                                                  Great idea LL - good luck this year. I"m so very lucky not to be injury prone but you can never take anything for granted!

Looking forward to the updates.

Also AJ - congrats on the great year and GL upping the ante a bit in 2024. I'll be happy enough to survive and if I can lose a bit more weight and get more motivated maybe I can add a couple of little mini goals along the way .(did 'dry' September and couple of 100km+ months in 2023).

Aiming for 100km in dry January to get the year off to a strong stand and about 50% veggie/fish meals - will report back in early Feb!

Lazare Milan eh? Class stuff. Do you still post regularly on Boards running forum? Keen to hear updates on the training etc...
                                                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 31-12-23, 20:42.

Comment

Happy new year lads
                                                                                                                    @Benny

I would say that I can empathize with the older and stiffer but still feel very nimble and flexible in general despite years of sports juries/back injuries
                                                                                                                    I have been doing yoga stretches for years and even though I have all.this wear and tear it's still gives this fluid feeling and good range of motion/strength and most likely helps with with the pain of arthritis.
                                                                                                                    I'm not taking about bending yourself into a pretzel! Just take more time in the stretch. Like give it a full minute in a forward bend etc.(with proper forn obv)
                                                                                                                    Would say a few Yoga classes to would set you up nicely.

This is excercise in itself... not something you do before a run by the way ...that would be more dynamic stuff

Comment

Happy New Year Gents

Goals last year were

5k PB
                                                                                                                      10k PB
                                                                                                                      Run 3 X Half M
                                                                                                                      Run 1200km

Ended up doing all the above but running >1700km and ran DCM

Nothing like getting lost in an Audiobook or Good Pod on a long run.

Last year in my 30s and feeling good so going to aim bigger.

Sub 19:30 5km
                                                                                                                      Sub 42:00 10km
                                                                                                                      Sub 3:30 Marathon. Doing Barcelona but probably do Dublin again too.
                                                                                                                      Run 2000km in the year.

Good luck to everyone with your goals and may the bodies and minds hold up.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Silver-Tiger; 01-01-24, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                        2023 targets:

Top target - Don't hurt my back again!
                                                                                                                        Total distance - 750km
                                                                                                                        Fastest 5km - sub 20.30
                                                                                                                        Number of parkruns - 40
                                                                                                                        So, my 2023 results:

Top target - unfortunately, I did hurt my back again, and it remains sore most of the time I am finally a member of a gym again, close to work, so will be going 2 or 3 times each week in 2024, which I do think will really help, strengthening my core etc...
                                                                                                                        Total distance - 529km (had to take some breaks due to my back and other sickness, but even when mostly OK I didn't do the volume I expected)
                                                                                                                        Fastest 5km - 21:36 (ugh, the less said about this the better. I am soooooooo slow compared to previous years)
                                                                                                                        Number of parkruns - 37 (the most ever! did 36 in 2016 and 2017, so quite happy with last year's number)

2024 targets:

Top target - Build some strength up again in my back, spend less time injured
                                                                                                                        Total distance - 600km
                                                                                                                        Fastest 5km - sub 21
                                                                                                                        Number of parkruns - 40
                                                                                                                        Try something new - run a 10 mile road race (most I've ever ran is 10km to date so this is a big ask, we'll see)​

Comment

Great idea LL - good luck this year. I"m so very lucky not to be injury prone but you can never take anything for granted!

Looking forward to the updates.

Also AJ - congrats on the great year and GL upping the ante a bit in 2024. I'll be happy enough to survive and if I can lose a bit more weight and get more motivated maybe I can add a couple of little mini goals along the way .(did 'dry' September and couple of 100km+ months in 2023).

Aiming for 100km in dry January to get the year off to a strong stand and about 50% veggie/fish meals - will report back in early Feb!

Lazare Milan eh? Class stuff. Do you still post regularly on Boards running forum? Keen to hear updates on the training etc...
                                                                                                                          Ah sorry Benny, I hadn't checked in here in a while, only seeing now.
                                                                                                                          Great reading people's goals and targets.

Yep, training in full flow now for Milan. I just tipped along really during December but had a much better month than previous years, in terms of consistency and mileage. Proper regimented training started now though.
                                                                                                                          Hoping to cement a Boston Qualifier which will mean <3:13.
                                                                                                                          I've qualified already with my Amsterdam time with what in other years would have been a guaranteed entry. Q time is 3:20 for my age and I ran 3:15:47.
                                                                                                                          That buffer wasn't enough for 2024 due to how subscribed the race was so will likely be the same for 2025.

You don't find out until September though so I'm looking to put the doubt to bed at Milan.

Fingers crossed if the training goes well I should be in sub 3:10 shape.

I still post a lot on the A&R forum but my training log is well overdue an update. May get on to that tonight actually.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Lazare; 14-01-24, 12:52.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X