Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 goals vs achieved:

1,500 km target but 1,175 achieved. Putting it down to back in the office a bit, a family death and losing about 4 weeks to various mild illnesses like head colds. Still my third best year in the last 10 years but a wee bit disappointing nonetheless.

4 half marathons target and 3 achieved. Had to drop x1 due another commitment taking precedent. Did one really fast one in Wexford (maybe by third or fourth fastest of the last decade). So think I still have a sub 2:06 in me somewhere. Also did one of my harshest in Oct at Clontarf.

Lose 3 kilos target - added 3 kilos on average. Oh well, the joys of fluctuating weight when you're over 50. Thinks its mostly dietary as I do enjoy bread and biscuits which counteracts the intermittent fasting. Am planning more salads and less sugar though so hopefully I can get on a downward slope again between now and summer.

2003 goals:

1,250km - more realistic than 1,500 I feel and still a stretch on my usual 1,000. If achieved would be my new 3rd best in 11 years so I'd take that.
    4 halfs - same as usual. Might mix up em up this year. will deffo keep the x2 Clontarf but have a hankering after somewhere a little more far flung that Wexford and Wicklow. But that's just to see something different. The main thins is to try and get one in per quarter.

I don't really have any time goals. I don't do 5kms as a rule, certainly not consistently like at a Parkrun. Maybe I should try and start thinking about that. Do a few and see if I can set a new record. Have GAA Sat morning with the young fella though so that kinda gets in the way.

Anyway, good luck with your goals in 2023 - one step at a time lads!

Comment

Main physical objective this year is to lose weight Currently 15 stone
      Aiming for 13 stone

Secondary and complimentary will be to keep active on a consistent basis.
      15 to 20 miles miles a week coupled with resistance excercises/stretches when I'm out.
      Aiming to get out and about a bare minimum of 3 days a week up to 5 with 1 decent mountain hike as part of that p/w
      Will be walking/jogging/shorter faster runs, push ups, squats, dumbbell lifts, yoga stretches, breathing exercises

Taking it slow and easy to avoid injury.

At 30 push ups in a row now, adding 1 extra per session and beginning to feel a bit of definition
      Was doing 45 a couple of years ago so will be beating that in a few weeks.

Cutting booze to an absolute max of 12 × 330 ml bottles p/w
      Food will be pretty much same as usual with a few tweaks.

​​​​​​MIght pop in a few updates here just to keep myself disciplined and motivated.

Best of luck all!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Another year (almost) over. I suppose we can't complain.

2022 Report
        1. Easy success with an unprecedented 905K done and a couple of runs left. Don't think I put in any extra runs, just a case of doing 6Ks instead of5Ks etc and it all adds up.
        2. Down to 89Kg now so didn't get to target. Lost 6Kg to end of May but only a further 5kg after that. But I have to remind myself I started from a high of 108kg in September 2021 so it's all going right direction. And it remains great fun to find stuff in the bottom of the wardrobe that I 'rage discarded' and now it fits perfectly.
        3. Never did venture into a proper race - I guess the first step might be to use the internet to actually find out where/when they are on !
        4. 24:40 achieved in September - only did a handful of parkruns after that and both a few seconds slower.

2023 Goals
        See no reason that 900K can't be achieved again, if I continue to be remarkably niggle free (my fellow 50something peers (feel so old) seem to have failing hips/ankles/knees galore so that'll probably get me eventually). But now that 900K has been done, 1000K seems a tantalising target. I guess I'll have an idea after the winter months whether it's possible.

As said progress slowed somewhat on weight loss after getting rid of the initial easy excess. So a more moderate target in 2023 of getting from 89kg to 83kg, roughly a stone in old money.

Definitely do some proper races in 2023. Will read here and boards to find out when they are on. Maybe someone throw a link if there's a website that collates them?

Times - have come to accept I'm a slow bastard when losing all that weight only takes 4 minutes off my 5K times. A few more PBs would be nice though, 24 minute 5K should be doable in summer.

Good luck to all in 2023, whether continuing the good work or approaching a New Beginning. Keep us posted.
        Fantastic stuff AJ. 4 mins off a PB is outstanding are you mad.

Great mileage, keep that up.

I can't recommend the Dublin race series highly enough. Starts with a 5 mile in June, then a 10k in July, a 10 mile in Aug and finishes with a half marathon in Sep.

You don't need to sign up to them all although you really should. The buzz at them is incredible.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Back from another mountain walk ..that's about 13 miles in 2 days.
          A short park walk during the week gives me 16 miles thereabouts so at the lower end of my target.
          Push ups - at least 300 done this week prob closer to 400
          do different types at varying speeds. Got to 35 in a row now but reining it in a bit on progression. . Was reading about rotator cuff injuries so taking it handy for now
          Squats- not too many of these around the 200 mark ...left knee is grating a bit
          Weights - 3 small sessions with dumbbells

All in all a reasonable week. Getting some muscle definition and feeling good.

Grog- didn't keep to my allowance but not at pre Christmas levels so have cut back at least

Next week will be attempting to get up earlier (most definitely not a morning person) and get out for an hour before breakfast X 3 days plus 2 hikes at the w/e

​​​​​Will do a weigh in at the end of month
          ​​​​​

Comment

So end of week 2
            ​​​​​​

Walked- 20/21 miles including mountains Push ups- 360
            Squats- 265
            Tricep dips- 110
            Stretches- 40 mins or so

Booze - under my allowance - just had 1 bottle wine and 3 bottles beer total for the week

Have been getting out early on a few days to walk and excercise which is a great experience despite some of the naysayers in the BBV!

Sugar- have approx cut by a half added sugar to hot drinks
            Targeted bread as a culprit here too and have again cut down by maybe a third to a half.

Really keen on controlling the sugar intake to reduce inflammation.

Struggling with a cold and stuffed up sinuses since last w/e and a bit of a cough. Nothing major but hard to breathe through nose. Had to drag myself out today but managed an hour and half walk and some conditioning so got through that dip in energy.

One thing I have been doing is writing up my excercise notes up in advance of the day I'm doing them and seems to be working well in making sure I do them.
            Doing a round up here helps too but will prob just do a monthly after the end of month weigh in. Wouldn't want to bore the living Jaysus out of ye ​​​

Mostly enjoying the excercise apart so think the balance is right for me at the moment.
            Looking forward to incorporating jogging shortly and some longer stretch sessions.

​​​​​Anyhoo that's it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
              So end of week 2
              ​​​​​​

Walked- 20/21 miles including mountains Push ups- 360
              Squats- 265
              Tricep dips- 110
              Stretches- 40 mins or so

Booze - under my allowance - just had 1 bottle wine and 3 bottles beer total for the week

Have been getting out early on a few days to walk and excercise which is a great experience despite some of the naysayers in the BBV!

Sugar- have approx cut by a half added sugar to hot drinks
              Targeted bread as a culprit here too and have again cut down by maybe a third to a half.

Really keen on controlling the sugar intake to reduce inflammation.

Struggling with a cold and stuffed up sinuses since last w/e and a bit of a cough. Nothing major but hard to breathe through nose. Had to drag myself out today but managed an hour and half walk and some conditioning so got through that dip in energy.

One thing I have been doing is writing up my excercise notes up in advance of the day I'm doing them and seems to be working well in making sure I do them.
              Doing a round up here helps too but will prob just do a monthly after the end of month weigh in. Wouldn't want to bore the living Jaysus out of ye ​​​

Mostly enjoying the excercise apart so think the balance is right for me at the moment.
              Looking forward to incorporating jogging shortly and some longer stretch sessions.

​​​​​Anyhoo that's it for now.
              A little bit of public pressure is no harm for the motivation, we’ll be awaiting the reports!

Comment

Good updates lads. Keep 'er lit.

First booze tonight since NYE - that month flew by. Probably easiest 'dry January' yet (I know, I know, only 27 days!).

130km running done. Probably about the same walking with the dog, certainly over 100km.

Daily Pepsi Max (and subsequent aspartame and caffeine ) totally knocked on the head - sleeping much better as a result. Easier than I'd thought bus still craving the odd fizzy drink after a run.

A few plain biccy's here and there but way less than half of what I would have had. Only a few bits of chocolate (maybe 5 or 6 bars in total over the month), cut out mainly to avoid the caffeine.

Only one fry-up (due to lack of beer).

Hope this weekend's return to the grog doesn't derail things too much - venison sausages and vegetable roll out of the freezer now for tomorrow's late breakfast!

And I'll allow myself a Lucozade or something tomorrow as well I think.

Bring on Spring!

Comment

Nice pb in the Raheny 5 mile. Came in 32:54 for a 50 sec improvement. Whoop.

Targeted 4:04km pace and had serious doubts and stress about it, wherher I was capable of it.

Avg pace was 4:04 so am bursting with confidence now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Targeted 4:04km pace and had serious doubts and stress about it, wherher I was capable of it.

Great stuff Laz

Comment

Great PB and serious pace, I’m just trying to get back doing anything at the moment so I’m glad to see you’re making progress

Comment

So end of week 3 report

Walked 22 miles Jogged 9 miles
                        PU- 450
                        TD- 240
                        Squats- 175
                        Stretches- about 10 mins per session

​​​​​​Did 9 sessions last week total
                        ​​​​​​Went out for a jog on 3 of the evenings and it felt grand
                        Did 2.5 km continuous at the tortoise pace of 6 20!

The baseline fitness through hiking and the buildup of leg and glute muscles transferred well into the jogging. Felt really good.
                        Had almost no issues and kept it nice and slow.

​​​​​​Have sidelined the squats for the moment as right knee is giving me a bit of trouble now. Not sure what it is but getting good glute and lower leg strength in the mountains anyway.

Keeping reasonable control on food/booze although went over the grog allowance due to birthday!

Down 6lbs
                        Probably a fair bit of water in that but it's progress all the same.
                        Certainly felt a bit lighter on my feet so it will be great to get down to target area of 13 stone.

Getting up early (6.30) for walk/conditioning /stretches and then a jog every other evening with a hike at the w/e.

Think I will add a dedicated stretch session in the evenings from now on and deal with the niggles early on.

​​Anyhoo hope ye are all doing well.

Comment

So end of week 3 report

Walked 22 miles Jogged 9 miles
                          PU- 450
                          TD- 240
                          Squats- 175
                          Stretches- about 10 mins per session

​​​​​​Did 9 sessions last week total
                          ​​​​​​Went out for a jog on 3 of the evenings and it felt grand
                          Did 2.5 km continuous at the tortoise pace of 6 20!

The baseline fitness through hiking and the buildup of leg and glute muscles transferred well into the jogging. Felt really good.
                          Had almost no issues and kept it nice and slow.

​​​​​​Have sidelined the squats for the moment as right knee is giving me a bit of trouble now. Not sure what it is but getting good glute and lower leg strength in the mountains anyway.

Keeping reasonable control on food/booze although went over the grog allowance due to birthday!

Down 6lbs
                          Probably a fair bit of water in that but it's progress all the same.
                          Certainly felt a bit lighter on my feet so it will be great to get down to target area of 13 stone.

Getting up early (6.30) for walk/conditioning /stretches and then a jog every other evening with a hike at the w/e.

Think I will add a dedicated stretch session in the evenings from now on and deal with the niggles early on.

​​Anyhoo hope ye are all doing well.
                          That 6:20 pace is where Laz does most of his training so no harm in that whatsoever, get yourself regularly doing 5KMs at that pace and you’ll find everything gets way easier. Great work on the mileage and the number of sessions, that’s great going!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

That 6:20 pace is where Laz does most of his training so no harm in that whatsoever, get yourself regularly doing 5KMs at that pace and you’ll find everything gets way easier. Great work on the mileage and the number of sessions, that’s great going!

Thanks for the feedback and the support!

In fairness I was happy with the jogging pace and not looking to break any records (yet!) Great to have Laz's comprehensive knowledge on it and I follow his tips. Slowing down was the biggest change I made in jogging.
                            I see so many lads huffing and puffing around the park half dead. Probably not enjoying it and definitely going to fast so more likely to get injured or just quit.
                            There's something very satisfying about that slow pace, breathing in through the nose, completely in control and body working in synch.

Enjoying the whole experience and it just keeps expanding and re-igniting interest levels in areas I used to keep up to date on like benefits of good dedicated stretching routine/nutrition etc.

I think after Covid and with the lungs a bit screwed up for a while I just retreated from everything except hiking which is enjoyable but just a bit narrow focused. Good to have more variety.

​​​​​

Comment

Fair play dinekes, cracking attitude. So right about the slow easy effort pace.

Comment

Fair play dinekes, cracking attitude. So right about the slow easy effort pace.
                                Following your lead in fairness!

Any tips for sore calf? Have an old injury keeps resurfacing
                                Going to do long stretches on it. Ice it then hot water bottle maybe.

Comment

Following your lead in fairness!

Any tips for sore calf? Have an old injury keeps resurfacing
                                  Going to do long stretches on it. Ice it then hot water bottle maybe.
                                  Hard to advise really. Unfortunately rest is usually best in terms of getting it back to a state you can get back on it again.

Prehab then, some dynamic stretching of it and warming up before you work it.

A lot of lower leg issues, calf, knee etc can be helped by strengthening your glutes. Plenty of simple home excersises you can do, bridges for example.

I'm far far from having any expertise though. If it becomes more than a niggle, or is hurting while running I would book into a physio.

Comment

Hard to advise really. Unfortunately rest is usually best in terms of getting it back to a state you can get back on it again.

Prehab then, some dynamic stretching of it and warming up before you work it.

A lot of lower leg issues, calf, knee etc can be helped by strengthening your glutes. Plenty of simple home excersises you can do, bridges for example.

I'm far far from having any expertise though. If it becomes more than a niggle, or is hurting while running I would book into a physio.
                                    Felt it niggling on the jog yesterday evening but thought it would be grand and kept going.
                                    Stiff and sore but not too bad.
                                    ​​​​​​Yeah, a rest prob best for now...

​​​​​​Its in the same spot every time with this injury. Been going in years but got physio before. Will check the emails from them see what excercises they had me doing.

​​​​​​Thanks

Comment

Felt it niggling on the jog yesterday evening but thought it would be grand and kept going.
                                      Stiff and sore but not too bad.
                                      ​​​​​​Yeah, a rest prob best for now...

​​​​​​Its in the same spot every time with this injury. Been going in years but got physio before. Will check the emails from them see what excercises they had me doing.

​​​​​​Thanks

Try rolling a tennis ball on it, in case there’s knots in there. Also dynamic warm up like toes on a step and gentle raising up and down about 10 each side, push against the wall with one leg in front of the other is also useful to stretch it. See a physio if more than a niggle.

Comment

End of week 4
                                        Down approx 8 pounds so another 2 shed.

10 activity seesions - approx 30 miles walked with some of that jogging before I injured calf
                                        PU- 510
                                        TD-160 (down a bit here)

Incorporated calf raises and bridges but didn't tabulate them
                                        Doing an extra dedicated stretching session apart from the 'on the go' ones I do during walking..... about 20 mins in the evening with good long holds and about 5 mins breathing focus at the end.
                                        Left knee is grating again now, it's been there for years though and just seem to get through exercise without it compromising me too much. Bit worse this past week or so prob because of all the activity I suppose.
                                        Tried a jog today and left knee was sore and 'hitching" my step. Calf not really ready yet anyway but just wanted to check knee out.

It's fine for walking mostly but can be fairly sore downhill or just randomly pull me up sometimes.

Think I will see about jogging after I lose some more weight and build calf and glutes more and then do a very gradual increase in jogging distance.

May need some intervention with the knee.

Anyway that's older bodies for you... Have other stuff going on too but all in all far better off excercising.
                                        ​​​​​​Getting stronger with more definition and in fairness feeling great mostly so will take a few knocks and sore knees no bother
                                        Can pump out 40 press ups in a row fairly handy and must have overtaken about 20 people on the mountain yesterday!

Food intake still disciplined.
                                        No confectionery of any kind other than 1 bar dark choc a week. Booze need to keep on top of as slipping a little bit there. Extra bottle of wine this long w/e
                                        ​​​​​
                                        Was out at 7am this morning with a big full moon for illumination followed by a sunrise so not too shabby a morning!

Next time I post I will be under 14 stone.
                                        ​​​​

Comment

Finally cracked 20 mins at Corkagh parkrun this morn. 19:52.

Been trying for a long while so feels like a nice achievement. When I ran 19:37 at Jingle Bells my equivalent effort time at Corkagh was 20:16, two weeks previous.

It was a tune up race for next week's half in Bohermeen.

Delighted to eventually get there. Bodes well for next week.

Comment

Lots of nippy guys there this morn. I came in 10th.

There's been some weeks where I'd have been first home. Have never managed that. Need to trip a couple of guys the next time

Comment

Seen Hitch and Laz discussing heart-rate on the BBV thread a few days ago, but thought I'd post here instead to get 'specialist' answers.
                                              So I've a 5K course through my D15 estate. Much as you'd expect - back and forth, sharp turns, mix of concrete and grass, crossing moderately busy roads a few times.

I've been told to aim for no more than 150bpm (not sure whether that is average or outright max).
                                              Here's a few sample runs from the last 2 weeks.

Midweek- A deliberately slow run at 6.xx per km (conversation pace, as suggested by Lazare).
                                              Lowest 90, Highest 127, Average 118. I think that's absolutely fine.

Saturday. A balls to the wall from the start 5.00 per km, deliberately upping the pace when I feel any flagging.
                                              Lowest 92, Highest 158, Average 135. I think that's probably fine as well?

Midweek - Run reasonably fast 5m30s pace but not particularly pushing it. It's dark, don't want to trip on unseen objects or crash into people/dogs/bins etc.
                                              Lowest 126, Highest 198, Average 162. This is the one I'd question and not sure what to make of it. Is it normal basically or is it putting me a stride from death?

Looking back through evening runs over winter, this last one isn't an anomaly, seems to happen a couple of times a month.
                                              My kit (HitFitPro) doesn't seem to have a way to break down the figures further, so don't know exactly when or how often the 190+ was hit.

Comment

The second midweek one looks like an issue with the monitor as it's wildly out of whack with your others.

I actually had similar this morning. A run that was definitely <125 bpm was reading >180 at times. Max HR territory. Most likely needs a good clean as it was without doubt wrong.

What way are you monitoring your HR?
                                                Last edited by Lazare; 08-03-23, 13:43. Reason: Had < instead of >

Comment

Also AJ, who told you to stay below 150bpm, and based on what?

Comment

The second midweek one looks like an issue with the monitor as it's wildly out of whack with your others.

I actually had similar this morning. A run that was definitely <125 bpm was reading <180 at times. Max HR territory. Most likely needs a good clean as it was without doubt wrong.

What way are you monitoring your HR?
                                                    Sekonda watch. I click Start run and eventually End run and it feeds the data through to the app on the phone. I don't pay it any heed whilst I'm actually running.
                                                    Another one tonight - interestingly seems to be the dark evening midweek runs which spike up. Tonight Low 80, Average 146, High 199.
                                                    28minute 5K, bit quicker than conservation pace but no hard-running, no last 500m bursts or anything like that.

Wednesday is slow run day so I'll see then - rarely go above 140 in those runs so if that corresponds tomorrow then it indicates that the 199 read today might actually be accurate.
                                                    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way of finding out afterwards exactly when or how often I hit that figure.

Also AJ, who told you to stay below 150bpm, and based on what?
                                                    Fellow runner in work told me 220-age50 = 170 is max, and to try to not go above 90% of max. 150 seemed a nice round figure to remember. Not sure how scientifically accurate that is.
                                                    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 07-03-23, 22:27.

Comment

A couple of things there AJ.

While a wrist monitor, your watch, is good for getting an accurate resting HR, it's almost useless at giving you accurate info once you're running.

A chest strap, linked to the watch is far more accurate.

It's not unfeasible but it's highly unlikely you have a max HR pushing 200 bpm or more, so it does seem to be giving you wildly inaccurate data.

The 220 minus your age is based off population averages. The problem with that is you can't really base your own specific HR training off averages, you need your own specific numbers.

You could be bang on with 170 or you could be 10 beats either side of it. Those 10 bpm can make all the difference in whether you're training at the correct intensity or not.

There are times and specific workout sessions where you would push close to your max, ie above 90%. I typically use pace as a guide for those personally. I use HR for easy aerobic running. Keeping below 130bpm which is a little over 70% of max.

Heart rate training has been a game changer for me, in terms of fitness but more importantly in keeping injury free.

Keeping below that 130 (70% of max) for 80% of my running volume being key.

I couldn't recommend highly enough getting yourself a chest strap.

You can then either perform your own Max HR test or go get it done in a lab.

Comment

Can't beat Garmin for data. Definitely treat yourself, a watch and a strap.

Here's some HR data from a recent run, from the Garmin connect app. You can overlay it with pace, cadence and elevation and can track it at any point in your run.
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

Hit the halfway mark of almost bang on 14 stone

8 1/2 weeks that's 14 lbs shed so very happy with that.
                                                          Jeans look a bit weird now as have to notch up on the belt.
                                                          ​​​​​
                                                          ​​​​Getting out walking every day with 2 sessions every other day One of those usually 2 hour mountain walk.

Did nearly an extra 38 miles last week over and above general day to day movement's.
                                                          Am very slowly integrating jogs and running into sessions.
                                                          ​​​​​
                                                          Tried a few 150's and short hill runs at faster pace and no problems but taking it very handy.
                                                          Am gravitating towards dumbbells now as was probably way too focused on push ups and tricep dips. Actually think the dips off park bench probably bad for the spondylolisthesis (had a bad few days with it after a session)
                                                          Progressing from regular stretching to more of a dedicated yoga based stretching routine.... supplements the conditioning well I think especially heading into mid fifties with a lifetime of sports mileage wear on tear on the clock.
                                                          Also find I sleep better after it especially with a bit of deep breathing/meditation at the end

Always maintained a reasonably decent routine right up to Covid so really getting back in to the groove again.

Foodwise also it's going great.
                                                          Have started making my own flatbreads the past few weeks.
                                                          Really easy to make and delicious plus no additives. Quite enjoyable being in control of that process rather than picking up a loaf for €2 which is gone in 2 days or stale. Plus I used to be always popping in to Tescos to pick up bread and invariably buying half a dozen other bits I didn't really need.

Am trying to get most of the weeks food in one go which saves on time/petrol but also impulse buys as I have a list of what I need for the week.
                                                          Plenty of veg and fruit and protein and almost no processed food.
                                                          Carbs I have just cut down on without feeling that I'm missing out.

Another benefit to this is I have a clean fridge at the end of the week. Literally eat everything I buy so not a scrap wasted.

Booze I have cut down on definitely but have still had a few hangovers!

Getting very TL/DR so I'll sign off for now.

​​​​​

Last edited by dinekes; 08-03-23, 17:37.

Comment

Finally cracked 20 mins at Corkagh parkrun this morn. 19:52.

Been trying for a long while so feels like a nice achievement. When I ran 19:37 at Jingle Bells my equivalent effort time at Corkagh was 20:16, two weeks previous.

It was a tune up race for next week's half in Bohermeen.

Delighted to eventually get there. Bodes well for next week.
                                                            Chuffed for you! Saw it uploaded before you edited it and immediately thought it was a milestone! I’ve started getting back into the running again now, dabbling with HR running and Fartleks at the moment. Interesting on the Fartlek the legs are the gating factor rather than HR which is encouraging.

Must get a Corkagh Park fun run in with you soon

Comment

​​​​​
                                                              ​​​​Getting out walking every day with 2 sessions every other day One of those usually 2 hour mountain walk.

Did nearly an extra 38 miles last week over and above general day to day movement's.
                                                              ​​​​​
                                                              Tried a few 150's and short hill runs at faster pace and no problems but taking it very handy.
                                                              Am gravitating towards dumbbells now as was probably way too focused on push ups and tricep dips. Actually think the dips off park bench probably bad for the spondylolisthesis (had a bad few days with it after a session)
                                                              Progressing from regular stretching to more of a dedicated yoga based stretching routine.... supplements the conditioning well I think especially heading into mid fifties with a lifetime of sports mileage wear on tear on the clock.
                                                              Also find I sleep better after it especially with a bit of deep breathing/meditation at the end

Always maintained a reasonably decent routine right up to Covid so really getting back in to the groove again.

Really easy to make and delicious plus no additives. Quite enjoyable being in control of that process rather than picking up a loaf for €2 which is gone in 2 days or stale. Plus I used to be always popping in to Tescos to pick up bread and invariably buying half a dozen other bits I didn't really need.

Am trying to get most of the weeks food in one go which saves on time/petrol but also impulse buys as I have a list of what I need for the week.

Another benefit to this is I have a clean fridge at the end of the week. Literally eat everything I buy so not a scrap wasted.

​​​​​

Greta progress, 14lbs is some going!

Comment

​​​​​

​​​​​

​​​​​

Really nice!! Great progress and you can sense the positivity it's instilling in you.

Comment

Chuffed for you! Saw it uploaded before you edited it and immediately thought it was a milestone! I’ve started getting back into the running again now, dabbling with HR running and Fartleks at the moment. Interesting on the Fartlek the legs are the gating factor rather than HR which is encouraging.

Must get a Corkagh Park fun run in with you soon
                                                                  Ah I'm delighted to hear that Joe, be great to do another parkrun meet up soon.

Comment

A couple of things there AJ.

While a wrist monitor, your watch, is good for getting an accurate resting HR, it's almost useless at giving you accurate info once you're running.

A chest strap, linked to the watch is far more accurate.

It's not unfeasible but it's highly unlikely you have a max HR pushing 200 bpm or more, so it does seem to be giving you wildly inaccurate data.

The 220 minus your age is based off population averages. The problem with that is you can't really base your own specific HR training off averages, you need your own specific numbers.

You could be bang on with 170 or you could be 10 beats either side of it. Those 10 bpm can make all the difference in whether you're training at the correct intensity or not.

There are times and specific workout sessions where you would push close to your max, ie above 90%. I typically use pace as a guide for those personally. I use HR for easy aerobic running. Keeping below 130bpm which is a little over 70% of max.

Heart rate training has been a game changer for me, in terms of fitness but more importantly in keeping injury free.

Keeping below that 130 (70% of max) for 80% of my running volume being key.

I couldn't recommend highly enough getting yourself a chest strap.

You can then either perform your own Max HR test or go get it done in a lab.

Yeah I got a Polar chest strap recently and it's a no brainer for 50 blips.

Slightly magical too when I use it on a bike machine, that the machines automatically picks up the signal

Comment

Just broke 90 mins at Bohermeen half. 1:29:35

Fucking hell.

Ran 1:33:44 back in September and that was a big PB.

Shocked and delighted.

Comment

Just broke 90 mins at Bohermeen half. 1:29:35

Fucking hell.

Ran 1:33:44 back in September and that was a big PB.

Shocked and delighted.
                                                                        Savage!
                                                                        ​​​​​​Nearly 20 seconds per mile improvement
                                                                        I bet in your head you're already * by 2 and eyeing up the next marathon

​​

Comment

Savage!
                                                                          ​​​​​​Nearly 20 seconds per mile improvement
                                                                          I bet in your head you're already * by 2 and eyeing up the next marathon

​​
                                                                          Haha, not quite. I'm running Amsterdam in Oct and this gives me confidence that I *should* be able to go low 3 teens.

3:20 for a Boston Qualifier has been the target but that result has me setting the bar a little higher.

Comment

What were you aiming for Laz?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                              What were you aiming for Laz?
                                                                              Decided the week before last to have a shot at it, a sub 90.

Did a half marathon training session on the Wed, 2x 20 min at 4:15 pace and felt like I could possibly handle it.

Was risky though, could have died a death. Meant I would be breaking my 10k pb in the process. Thought fuck it though, if I die I die. Thankfully it paid off.

Comment

Brilliant stuff, congratulations

Comment

Cheers man. Still buzzing from it.

Comment

Well done Conor!!!!!

Comment

Decided the week before last to have a shot at it, a sub 90.

Did a half marathon training session on the Wed, 2x 20 min at 4:15 pace and felt like I could possibly handle it.

Was risky though, could have died a death. Meant I would be breaking my 10k pb in the process. Thought fuck it though, if I die I die. Thankfully it paid off.
                                                                                      Wow! Didn’t see it on Strava so must have a look, sub 90mins for 1/2M is unreal.

My target is for 1:45 in order to knock a full hour off the previous one I did about 10 years ago, but haven’t committed to training yet. Are you going to ParkRun this Saturday?

Comment

Had a look there, you smashed your 10km, 15km, 10 mile, 20km and half M all in one race! Ffs… unreal.

Do you reckon you would have a crack at a sub 40 10km now?

Comment

Ah cheers Joe, am still buzzing from it tbh.

Can't make parkrun this weekend but will pencil it in for the following week if you're around.

Comment

Re the sub 40, I'm really not sure. My next target is a 5k in May that I'm gonna attempt a sub 19 at.

10k is next on the list after that. If the 5k goes to plan the sub 40 should be at least on my mind.

Comment

Ooh missed this . Great work. Sub 40 a matter of time .

Comment

Hey Joe,

Turns out I need to go to Galway for work on Sat morn so can't make parkrun.

Just in case you were planning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                  Ooh missed this . Great work. Sub 40 a matter of time .
                                                                                                  I remember reading that as the benchmark to be classed a a good social runner i.e. not a trained athlete etc. Always stuck with me.

Comment

A couple of my friends have signed up to do the Cork half-marathon on the 4th of June. It's short notice and I have been lazy for the last five or six weeks so not a lot done, but as a motivation I'm planning to sign up too. I've started back the last couple of days with ~6km runs just to get back in the swing of it. Any advice as to how best to structure my running over the next few weeks to give me the best prep in the circumstances? I should be able to increase the 6km runs to ~8km pretty much straight away I think, wondering how best to build from there.

I have run the distance before and would be pretty comfortable running above 10k nice and slowly when I'm training regularly.

Comment

A couple of my friends have signed up to do the Cork half-marathon on the 4th of June. It's short notice and I have been lazy for the last five or six weeks so not a lot done, but as a motivation I'm planning to sign up too. I've started back the last couple of days with ~6km runs just to get back in the swing of it. Any advice as to how best to structure my running over the next few weeks to give me the best prep in the circumstances? I should be able to increase the 6km runs to ~8km pretty much straight away I think, wondering how best to build from there.

I have run the distance before and would be pretty comfortable running above 10k nice and slowly when I'm training regularly.
                                                                                                      I would say the best advice is to start getting the miles in, slowly and surely, the longer and slower the better. So get on your 5-10lms every second day initially, cold water on the legs each evening is great for recovery in the sea or coldest setting on the shower, and you’ll make huge gains in 6 weeks.

Comment

Yeah man, just get the easy miles in. Build by 10% each week, 10% of the overall. A long run at the weekend.

Try to build up to doing 5x days a week, even if one of them is a short &lt;20 min run.

Game changer for me last year was adding an extra day to my routine.

Comment

Yeah man, just get the easy miles in. Build by 10% each week, 10% of the overall. A long run at the weekend.

Try to build up to doing 5x days a week, even if one of them is a short &lt;20 min run.

Game changer for me last year was adding an extra day to my routine.
                                                                                                          Extra day, but same miles? Or more miles?

Comment

Extra day, but same miles? Or more miles?
                                                                                                            I guess in Keane's case it's extra day but same weekly miles. Good question..

The human body is extremely efficient at adaptation, play enough guitar and the pads of your fingers grow tough. Run every day and your tendons and muscles quickly adapt to the load. The more adapted your body becomes, the quicker you respond to training.

80% of that weekly volume has to be easy though.

Comment

It'll all be easy pace for sure

Comment

I've finally got my act together over the last few weeks and am back out running - Behind schedule but am getting into a routine.

One thing I have noticed (apart from the general pain in every muscle in my legs ) is that I am getting a pretty bad pain right at the joint between the bottom of my leg and top of my foot

Any suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate this pain or is it just that I'm a fat bastard and that joint is taking and will continue to take the brunt of the pressure until I slim down a (good) bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                  I've finally got my act together over the last few weeks and am back out running - Behind schedule but am getting into a routine.

One thing I have noticed (apart from the general pain in every muscle in my legs ) is that I am getting a pretty bad pain right at the joint between the bottom of my leg and top of my foot

Any suggestions as to what I can do to alleviate this pain or is it just that I'm a fat bastard and that joint is taking and will continue to take the brunt of the pressure until I slim down a (good) bit?
                                                                                                                  Fair play on getting back in to it.
                                                                                                                  Not much use to you on the pain I'm afraid other than ice and rest for a bit. I would guess at inflamed tendon.

Check your running shoes too. I noticed a big difference between new pair and old pair in terms of absorbing impact.

If you're running on pavement maybe switch or mix in some grass running.

Plenty of stretching too will help with flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Sounds like something I used to get now and then. The extensor tendon.

The only real treatment for it for me was rest.

Tightly laced shoes can contribute to it.

Comment

I guess in Keane's case it's extra day but same weekly miles. Good question..

The human body is extremely efficient at adaptation, play enough guitar and the pads of your fingers grow tough. Run every day and your tendons and muscles quickly adapt to the load. The more adapted your body becomes, the quicker you respond to training.

80% of that weekly volume has to be easy though.
                                                                                                                      How do you break up the five runs? I did a handy 8k yesterday - felt way better than the ~6k runs I did last week so I feel like I'm readapting pretty quickly. I suppose that will be my mid distance run this week, so thinking 8k Monday then 5/6k three days this week and probably 10-12 on Saturday? Not sure should I have a day off during the week or a day off before and after the long run.

Probably overthinking it anyway

Comment

How do you break up the five runs? I did a handy 8k yesterday - felt way better than the ~6k runs I did last week so I feel like I'm readapting pretty quickly. I suppose that will be my mid distance run this week, so thinking 8k Monday then 5/6k three days this week and probably 10-12 on Saturday? Not sure should I have a day off during the week or a day off before and after the long run.

Probably overthinking it anyway
                                                                                                                        At the moment I take Mondays and Fridays off, but will add the Mon back in again soon.

I really like the format of Tue/Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun for a five day week. That's down to the LR usually being a Sunday.

If Mon suits you better to run than rest, and Saturday suits your LR, then maybe something like Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri/Sat would be good.

Comment

Tue/Wed/Thurs/Sat/Sun sounds like a good timetable actually. Obviously been out mon/tues this week already so I might skip thurs/fri this week and change over next week. Or do long run sat this week maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X