Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
    Park run Saturday and a coffee in that place after.?
    Oh I can't this coming Sat, we do week on week off myself and my wife, it's her week next Sat. What about the following week?

The coffee place is gone unfort, although I think I heard someone else moved into it, I'll check.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Got my week of establishing the routine back done and began the base build phase this morning.

Put it all down on my calendar last night, plan is to reach 50 miles per week (80km) by the end of March, straddling April.

My routine for the last couple of years, barring short periods of falling out of it was Tue, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun.

I think though now is the time to add Friday into it, but will always keep that one relatively short, 6k or so.

36 miles, 58km planned for this week and it should be handy enough but looking at the later weeks on paper had me a little bit shitpants. Will need to run 13 and 14km runs on the midweek runs before work.

What's mad though is how your mind adapts to that. Right now it seems daunting but when you're in the middle of it it doesn't seem tough at all.

You can get to the stage in your headspace where a 10k run feels like a short little spin.

Looking forward to it anyway, feeling good about it.

​​​​​

Comment

Would love to be back running (jogging)
        was building a nice base of fitness up to xmas 19. Did a nice 8km run just before Christmas. Was very happy with the stamina then as pushed through a few barriers during it. Got Covid in Jan which screwed up the breathing and havent really run since
        Injured back in June and getting physio on that now. Strength and flexibility getting better and shes recommending a couch to 5k approach so will get back into it slowly.
        Main goal is to be pain free or as close as I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Got my week of establishing the routine back done and began the base build phase this morning.

Put it all down on my calendar last night, plan is to reach 50 miles per week (80km) by the end of March, straddling April.

My routine for the last couple of years, barring short periods of falling out of it was Tue, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun.

I think though now is the time to add Friday into it, but will always keep that one relatively short, 6k or so.

36 miles, 58km planned for this week and it should be handy enough but looking at the later weeks on paper had me a little bit shitpants. Will need to run 13 and 14km runs on the midweek runs before work.

What's mad though is how your mind adapts to that. Right now it seems daunting but when you're in the middle of it it doesn't seem tough at all.

You can get to the stage in your headspace where a 10k run feels like a short little spin.

Looking forward to it anyway, feeling good about it.

​​​​​
          Good stuff, I can relate given how long 5km felt to me only 2 weeks ago and how 16km at 5min pace seemed a doddle mid last summer. I’d say the hardest part of your midweek 12-13km is getting up early and into that routine again. I haven’t done a morning pre work run since 13th Feb which I noticed was coincidentally the week before we did Corkagh!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
            Would love to be back running (jogging)
            was building a nice base of fitness up to xmas 19. Did a nice 8km run just before Christmas. Was very happy with the stamina then as pushed through a few barriers during it. Got Covid in Jan which screwed up the breathing and havent really run since
            Injured back in June and getting physio on that now. Strength and flexibility getting better and shes recommending a couch to 5k approach so will get back into it slowly.
            Main goal is to be pain free or as close as I can get.
            Why not set walking goals in the meantime, try to walk 100km in a month. That’s only 5km walking 2 out of 3 days, very doable and would get you back in the habit again?

Comment

Finally injury free to a point so did some very slow Elephant stomping last night barely did a Km before the lungs burned so walk jogged home . Too dlow to sweat . . Long way back ro proper jogging from here . My Spin bike has at least got my legs fit . Suprised i lasted a KM was waiting on the rear axel to go.

Comment

Why not set walking goals in the meantime, try to walk 100km in a month. That’s only 5km walking 2 out of 3 days, very doable and would get you back in the habit again?
                Actually should have said doing walks all right so not totally out of it...not the same feel.good factor though.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Actually should have said doing walks all right so not totally out of it...not the same feel.good factor though.
                  Definitely not, but if you’re able to walk 5km you should certainly be able to run one km of that, and build to maybe 2km next week etc.

Comment

Oh I can't this coming Sat, we do week on week off myself and my wife, it's her week next Sat. What about the following week?

The coffee place is gone unfort, although I think I heard someone else moved into it, I'll check.
                    Joe, I forgot when posting this that the Raheny 5 míle is the day after. I'll be volunteering at parkrun next Sat.

Will we pencil something in for 13th? I could meet you at your local one this time.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow Keano, smash it.

Comment

Joe, I forgot when posting this that the Raheny 5 míle is the day after. I'll be volunteering at parkrun next Sat.

Will we pencil something in for 13th? I could meet you at your local one this time.
                        Sounds good I pulled my calf Wednesday so couldn’t do it anyway… 13th might work let’s touch base closer to time

Comment

Thanks Conor, and thanks for the advice before. Unfortunately I wasn't able to follow it as I started having muscle issues a few weeks ago. I was getting a lot of stiffness and soreness in the meaty part of the achilles, and more problematic I'm getting this stabbing pain or a twinge out through my glutes/hips when I run and afterwards. I'm seeing a physio who thinks I don't have any actual injury but just some weaknesses in the lower limb that can be overcome with strengthening exercises but to cut a long story short I have scaled back my running a lot while I'm trying to get right.

Nevertheless I did that run this morning and did pretty well. I was 40 seconds off a PB which is about par for my current level of fitness I think. It was tough in parts as it's a slightly hilly route and there was a headwind in the middle kms. I also had about six pints last night which is about standard preparation for me for things like this as I'm a dimwit. Good day overall though. Really hoping I can get the body right again soon so I can get back to enjoying it a bit more. Attack those PBs again later in the year.

Comment

Sounds good I pulled my calf Wednesday so couldn’t do it anyway… 13th might work let’s touch base closer to time
                            Should rest the calf . The 13th might be a bit soon imo

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Should rest the calf . The 13th might be a bit soon imo
                              If I’m going on 13th it’ll be a gentle chat whilst jogging nothing serious. It’s grand again, really just stiff and needed a good stretch out and rest. 26 days in a row was tough from zero start

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                2022 targets.
                                Nothing much different really.

Somewhere in the 730-750K region of total running.
                                Keep the health/diet improvements going and get to around the 85kg mark by end of year.
                                Try a non-parkrun proper race, either 5M or 10K.
                                25:00 for parkrun as a first target, but I really think sub 23 is possible next year now that I hopefully have weight on a downward trend.

G'luck all, we go again.
                                Fk me, bang on 25:00 this morning. Would have been nice to have found one extra second. Still, first PB in 4 years so have to be happy.
                                Keeping steady and hopefully sustainable weight loss of 1/1.2kg a month so down to 94kg from 99 at start of year and 108 last summer. Hopefully continue to get both times and weight down.

Comment

Fk me, bang on 25:00 this morning. Would have been nice to have found one extra second. Still, first PB in 4 years so have to be happy.
                                  Keeping steady and hopefully sustainable weight loss of 1/1.2kg a month so down to 94kg from 99 at start of year and 108 last summer. Hopefully continue to get both times and weight down.
                                  I'm months away from 28 never mind 25 as for 94kg. I need to lose 10kg to hit that also. Im big boned ya know.

Good stuff. I'll use you as inspiration.

Comment

Well done AJ

Comment

I've harped on a bit about the benefits of slowing down. Delved a little more into the science behind it a while back. Posted this in the DCM novices thread on boards. Every year is the same, people don't believe it. I was the same.

Slowing down, the absolute vital importance of it and why you should not let ego get in the way of maximising your potential.
                                      It's totally normal and expected at the start of this journey you're on to raise questions and have doubts about the idea of slowing right down.

It happens every year, and eventually it sinks in, usually by the time you start seeing the results, and the leaps in your fitness.

Happened with me and everyone else in 2017, and every other graduate. You yourself will be on here next year and the year after advocating it.

The reasons are actually really simple, and are twofold.

In order to run a marathon, or to excel at the distance you need to maximise your aerobic ability and fitness. Aerobic fitness and improvement in it is what drives gains.

We all have an aerobic threshold, not to be confused with anaerobic threshold, the more commonly discussed one associated with Tempo running. You breach your aerobic threshold much earlier at a much easier effort/pace.

Once you breach it, you're still running aerobically but no longer fully 100% aerobic. Your body begins to switch to anaerobic metabolism, ie, no longer fully strengthening that vital aerobic system.

You'll still get gains, but you're no longer maximising those gains.

The reason it's twofold is because, we need to put a massive amount of aerobic work in between now and the big day, again to maximise potential.

Running at this effort level, while it's reaping you such amazing fitness benefits, it has minimal impact on the body and requires pretty much no recovery other than after very long runs.

Your aerobic threshold will be slower than you think. You're most likely running too fast.

There is a good test you can do while running to give you a good idea of it.

Start your run and breath exclusively through your nose. Gradually increase the effort and pace until you're forced to use your mouth to breath. Check your pace.

That's roughly your aerobic threshold. Stay below it. Regularly check it in different conditions. Other than specific workouts, always stay below it. 80% + of your running should be below it.

Ego can sometimes get in our way but try hard to shut it out.

A person who can run a 20 min 5k will take about 28 or 29 minutes to cover that distance running fully aerobically.

So don't worry if it feels too slow. It should. As your aerobic fitness improves, so will your pace at that effort level.

Now to go practise what I preach.

Comment

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. Zone 2 training seems to be all of the rage on the internet at the moment. I remember the advice was always loads of easy mileage.

I only ever do the odd 5k run (breathing through the nose after reading Breath), but I walk every day. And I've been adding in 45m biking keeping 150hr and it feels like nothing the next day.

Comment

I've harped on a bit about the benefits of slowing down. Delved a little more into the science behind it a while back. Posted this in the DCM novices thread on boards. Every year is the same, people don't believe it. I was the same.
                                          This is interesting Laz. While i don't have the time to devote too much to thinking about running (cos i'd rather be running obviously) i found myself running up hills around Dingle in the last week really fascinated by my breathing, speed and overall enjoyment of the experience (those hills!).

Most of my running on a week-by-week basis is various loops around Tymon Park with predictable inclines and nothing at all too serious, just boshing out the 10kms and the odd half marathon to push me a bit.

Anyway, I've had sinus issues all my life but i'm gonna try the 'test' with nose breathing to see what happens. My first 800m from the house every day is up hill...

Comment

Great stuff lads, it's so beneficial.

Benny, if the beginning of your run is hilly maybe wait until it flattens out and the effort feels easier before doing the test.

Comment

Good advice Laz ^^^^ tired today and abandoned after about 100 meters

Great article here on Jake Wightman's win over Ingebrigsten in the 1500s at the Worlds - dreams can come true.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2022/07...d-1500m-title/

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                Good advice Laz ^^^^ tired today and abandoned after about 100 meters

Great article here on Jake Wightman's win over Ingebrigsten in the 1500s at the Worlds - dreams can come true.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2022/07...d-1500m-title/
                                                Incredible stuff. That final 200m, wow!!

Comment

The time to start back running is now. This is going to be painful, but at least I'll look good from the ankle down.

SPOILER

Comment

I hurt my back (again!) in mid-May at some point, and other than a 3km run - which was a mistake - I haven't really done anything since then, with my back and now right leg really causing me issues. It might be sciatica, it might not, had an x-ray earlier this week and am due to have an MRI next week to try to figure things out. On heavy enough painkillers now, in order to allow me to sleep relatively uninterrupted by painful aches.

Needless to say I'll be starting from a very low base of fitness whenever I do get the green light to run again, and will not be hitting my target of 750km this year! Good luck to everyone else enroute to meeting and exceeding their annual goals.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Paul. You're not having much luck man. Makes me feel quite blessed that over nearly 10 years of running I've fallen over twice and stained my groin once. That's it really.

Last Friday I ran my 10,000th tracked kilometre (in reality it would have been a few hundred untracked Km more but sure...who's counting ).

In a straight line that's from Dublin to a few hundred Km beyond Tokyo. Really hope I can do another 10,000 (about half the circumference of the earth) taking me up to the age of about 60 and after that... well, I won't worry too much about that right now.

Just feel lucky to have gotten bitten by the bug again around the age of 40 and the mental and physical positives it's brought to my life since.

It's never too late to start on the journey, and it only takes one small step, followed by another and then another.... good luck Lao Lao and everyone else trying to get back into it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Paul. You're not having much luck man. Makes me feel quite blessed that over nearly 10 years of running I've fallen over twice and stained my groin once. That's it really.

Last Friday I ran my 10,000th tracked kilometre (in reality it would have been a few hundred untracked Km more but sure...who's counting ).

In a straight line that's from Dublin to a few hundred Km beyond Tokyo. Really hope I can do another 10,000 (about half the circumference of the earth) taking me up to the age of about 60 and after that... well, I won't worry too much about that right now.

Just feel lucky to have gotten bitten by the bug again around the age of 40 and the mental and physical positives it's brought to my life since.

It's never too late to start on the journey, and it only takes one small step, followed by another and then another.... good luck Lao Lao and everyone else trying to get back into it.

What you do in the privacy of your own home or amongst the dunes at Sandymount beach is your business, this is a judgement free zone

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

What you do in the privacy of your own home or amongst the dunes at Sandymount beach is your business, this is a judgement free zone
                                                          Lol... well MrsHiFi can attest to the stink of me after having disappeared for an hour and coming back all hot and sweaty!

I'm presuming 'Skinty Fia' will be on rotation on your playlist while running? Am quite disgusted with myself at being 'a smidge beyond tolerating' their third album. That 'Johnny down the line' song friggin' is hooking me in. Bastards.

Maybe by album seven they'll have grown on me

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                            I hurt my back (again!) in mid-May at some point, and other than a 3km run - which was a mistake - I haven't really done anything since then, with my back and now right leg really causing me issues. It might be sciatica, it might not, had an x-ray earlier this week and am due to have an MRI next week to try to figure things out. On heavy enough painkillers now, in order to allow me to sleep relatively uninterrupted by painful aches.

Needless to say I'll be starting from a very low base of fitness whenever I do get the green light to run again, and will not be hitting my target of 750km this year! Good luck to everyone else enroute to meeting and exceeding their annual goals.
                                                            That's real shit Paul, had no idea. The very best of luck getting recovered.

Comment

Revived my training log over on the other place after 2 years.

Had totally forgotten about this poem I wrote after a gut wrenching 5k.

Warmed up, ready, in a skin soaked singlet, dripping with June morning rain.

Push the button on the mat and bounce with hope and bluster.

Striding the centre of the road, a camber either side.

Splashing summer puddle water cooling on my calf.

Reeling in and reeling out, confidence and casting doubt.

Bluster broken a mile inside, the distance is in charge.

Rain sheltered scattered applause as the turn is met,
                                                              headed now for home.

Eyes not meeting those behind, all focusing on the pain.

The last mile and the hope lifts, the pain dulls and
                                                              the brain shifts, into what ifs, into calculations, into permutations, into the last stretch, into the final few, the gantry view, the best is on if I can only push, if I can only squeeze, if I can only get there.

The clock turns, while my heart burns.

If I can only get there.

Comment

Lol... well MrsHiFi can attest to the stink of me after having disappeared for an hour and coming back all hot and sweaty!

I'm presuming 'Skinty Fia' will be on rotation on your playlist while running? Am quite disgusted with myself at being 'a smidge beyond tolerating' their third album. That 'Johnny down the line' song friggin' is hooking me in. Bastards.

Maybe by album seven they'll have grown on me
                                                                I need to get a running playlist actually but Fontaines will defo feature in it.

I was at their gig in Iveagh Gardens a few weeks ago. They were fucking brilliant. The place was absolutely rocking.

Comment

It took me long enough (think it was on my 2019 target list) but finally a sub 25 parkrun with 24:40 this morning. Fecking buzzin. There will be a snackbox later.
                                                                  Weight still going good as well, steady 1kg a month has been maintained so down to 91kg now. There may be correlation between weight loss and improved times, but that's one for the boffins.

Comment

It took me long enough (think it was on my 2019 target list) but finally a sub 25 parkrun with 24:40 this morning. Fecking buzzin. There will be a snackbox later.
                                                                    Weight still going good as well, steady 1kg a month has been maintained so down to 91kg now. There may be correlation between weight loss and improved times, but that's one for the boffins.
                                                                    Fair play!

Out doing trails runs at the moment, man the hills sap your legs.

Comment

Get in there!! Nice one AJ, a fantastic feeling.

Comment

Picked up a pair of carbon plate super shoes this morn.

Saucony Endorphin Pro 3, in bright pink.

Waited a couple of years until they were acceptable

Comment

Picked up a pair of carbon plate super shoes this morn.

Saucony Endorphin Pro 3, in bright pink.

Waited a couple of years until they were acceptable
                                                                          What's the damage? Are they like these Nike ones your man was using to help run the marathon under two hours? There seem to be levels of supershoes now - alphafly, next% and others. I've lost track of which one is the ultimate killer and haven't a clue of the equivalents from other brands. Is this the Saucony superkiller?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

What's the damage? Are they like these Nike ones your man was using to help run the marathon under two hours? There seem to be levels of supershoes now - alphafly, next% and others. I've lost track of which one is the ultimate killer and haven't a clue of the equivalents from other brands. Is this the Saucony superkiller?
                                                                            This is the Saucony superkiller

250 blips. Got free socks.

They're all using pretty much the same tech, carbon plate and foam.

Improvements made in the likes of stability and durability of the foam with each new shoe.

These ones apparently last 500 miles, the original Nikes were only good for a handful of races.

I'll mostly only race in these, some speed sessions but the rest of my running will be in a standard shoe.
                                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 20-09-22, 17:07.

Comment

This is the Saucony superkiller

250 blips. Got free socks.

They're all using pretty much the same tech, carbon plate and foam.

Improvements made in the likes of stability and durability of the foam with each new shoe.

These ones apparently last 500 miles, the original Nikes were only good for a handful of races.

I'll mostly only race in these, some speed sessions but the rest of my running will be in a standard shoe.
                                                                              What do you think they would take off say a 10k time as a %? Wild guesses encouraged

Comment

What do you think they would take off say a 10k time as a %? Wild guesses encouraged
                                                                                The tech is supposed to give up to 4% improvement, so theoretically 2 mins for a 50 min 10k runner. It's really only elites though getting that sort of benefit.
                                                                                Would definitely be an improvement though.

The foam cushioning acts to delay fatigue so a real benefit for the latter miles of the marathon.
                                                                                Last edited by Lazare; 21-09-22, 05:38.

Comment

Wore them this morning for a 10 mile moderate effort run.

These are normally around 5:26km pace average, this morning's was 5:14. HR was actually a touch lower.

Felt effortless. Legs feel like I havent run at all.

Comment

These are normally around 5:26km pace average, this morning's was 5:14. HR was actually a touch lower.

This could be a shut up and take my money scenario

Comment

4% reduction would be 5:13…Seems to live up to the hype.

How long before the ban is tightened on these? Reminds me of the speedo lazer swimsuit from Beijing olympics

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

4% reduction would be 5:13…Seems to live up to the hype.

How long before the ban is tightened on these? Reminds me of the speedo lazer swimsuit from Beijing olympics
                                                                                        Ah there was massive controversy about them a couple of years ago. Message boards were on fire with debate. Nike blew shit apart with their Vaporfly 4% shoe in 2016.

World Athletics scrambled to make rules and laws around them, conveniently for Nike setting the bar ar what they had invested millions into producing. Cough.

There were big rifts in running circles, people likening them to those swim suits you mentioned, calling them cheat shoes etc. I kinda felt that way myself and refused to buy a pair. Although spending €300 on a pair of Nikes that lasted 200km was prob more of a decider tbh.

Covid hit then and the argument kinda fizzled out. Then more and more people started wearing them, racing in them to the point now where they're fully accepted.

Kinda like a golfer ditching his old wooden driver for a Callaway. You still need to practise the technique.

Comment

Ah there was massive controversy about them a couple of years ago. Message boards were on fire with debate. Nike blew shit apart with their Vaporfly 4% shoe in 2016.

World Athletics scrambled to make rules and laws around them, conveniently for Nike setting the bar ar what they had invested millions into producing. Cough.

There were big rifts in running circles, people likening them to those swim suits you mentioned, calling them cheat shoes etc. I kinda felt that way myself and refused to buy a pair. Although spending €300 on a pair of Nikes that lasted 200km was prob more of a decider tbh.

Covid hit then and the argument kinda fizzled out. Then more and more people started wearing them, racing in them to the point now where they're fully accepted.

Kinda like a golfer ditching his old wooden driver for a Callaway. You still need to practise the technique.
                                                                                          Yeah, I remember when the Kipchoge ran 1:59.
                                                                                          Did done googling are it seems there were rumours that the shoes had 3 carbon plate-like springs. World athletics banned shoes with any more than 1 plate. Kinda funny if it never existed.

The idea of equipment doping is a strange one. Wearing any shoes is there to help performance. I’d guess spikes on track shoes improve times by more than 4%. Yet there’s no controversy.
                                                                                          Football boots, golf shoes, weightlifting shoes, wrestling shoes, boxing boots. Nobody has any issue with them.

I think it’s more a case that this was new technology, and the performance was measure quantified in terms of %. Now that the tech is used by many brands. It may be less of an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah, I remember when the Kipchoge ran 1:59.
                                                                                            Did done googling are it seems there were rumours that the shoes had 3 carbon plate-like springs. World athletics banned shoes with any more than 1 plate. Kinda funny if it never existed.

The idea of equipment doping is a strange one. Wearing any shoes is there to help performance. I’d guess spikes on track shoes improve times by more than 4%. Yet there’s no controversy.
                                                                                            Football boots, golf shoes, weightlifting shoes, wrestling shoes, boxing boots. Nobody has any issue with them.

I think it’s more a case that this was new technology, and the performance was measure quantified in terms of %. Now that the tech is used by many brands. It may be less of an issue
                                                                                            Totally, I suppose I would liken it to the anchored putter in golf or the spin-milled wedges in golf which were banned because pros were actually too successful at using them. They you take the changes in tennis with the transition from wooden rackets to today’s versions which are increasing serve speeds to such an extent that it’s totally transformed the game and tactics (which i think it where equipment changes should stop), like take instance of serve/volley in Wimbledon in down massively as a result.

I think we can all agree marginal comfort can be positive, but take an extreme example of an extended shoes that looks like Oscar Pistorius prosthetic foot, we’d all agree that’s too far. Tough one to legislate for.

On another note, went for a 5k the other morning, and couldn’t believe how hard I had to work to break 25mins which it used to be table stakes for a run. Really drops off early!

Comment

Clondalkin half marathon this Sunday. Hopefully under 2:15...

Comment

Clondalkin half marathon this Sunday. Hopefully under 2:15...
                                                                                                How did you get on?

Comment

How did you get on?
                                                                                                  2:11 - 4 mins slower than Wexford in late spring BUT I pretty much hated every minute of it.

Knew that week it wasn't going to be easy. Felt heavy, leggy, the cross wind was unpleasant, had to pish three times, got stomach cramp and the front of my left ankle hurt for almost all of it.

I wanted to quit after the first loop which has only ever happened once before I think.

So all told I was very happy with that.

It's a handy enough one for me, just a 10 min drive away on quiet Sunday morning and easy parking BUT I dunno if I'd do it again.

It's a bit grim TBH, running through industrial estates and the canal beside housing estates with all sorts of crap chucked into it. I'd describe it as a very functional race - great for the Dublin marathon runners who were doing the 3/4 marathon but not very scenic. Pretty flat, obviously

Decent music though (they were playing Short Dick Man when I arrived!), better than most of the motivational shite they play at the start of these things and great selection of FulFil bars afterwards plus a proper stall for coffee, fizzy drinks, crisps etc... so maybe I shouldn't be so hard on it. It was well organised.

Might slot it in again next year as a cheeky extra if I'm feeling frisky enough.

My old fav Clontarf is up next month!

Anything interesting coming up for you? You're not doing the marathon are you? (thought you'd quit on that dream of winning one )

Comment

Nice one Benny, tough battling it out under those conditions, especially if the course is a bit boring.

Haha, I got the bug again. Yeah, I'm doing Dublin. Just started the taper this week.

Delighted to get to this point injury free. Feel in the best shape of my life. Have put in a really solid block, six days a week, 80+ km per week with some speed stuff on Tues and Thurs.

Only missed one single run, a Sunday long one back Sep 4th, due to travel so I'm hopeful.

Aiming for <3:20

Comment

Nice one Benny, tough battling it out under those conditions, especially if the course is a bit boring.

Haha, I got the bug again. Yeah, I'm doing Dublin. Just started the taper this week.

Delighted to get to this point injury free. Feel in the best shape of my life. Have put in a really solid block, six days a week, 80+ km per week with some speed stuff on Tues and Thurs.

Only missed one single run, a Sunday long one back Sep 4th, due to travel so I'm hopeful.

Aiming for <3:20
                                                                                                      Well good luck with it. Hope the body stays strong and true between now and then.

It used to go right past my door but as we moved earlier this year I'll have to see where I can go to cheer you on.

Comment

Ah cheers Benny, that would be cool.

Have a couple of little niggles but it's standard enough in the taper. Mostly in the mind. You can go a little crazy.

Comment

Ah cheers Benny, that would be cool.

Have a couple of little niggles but it's standard enough in the taper. Mostly in the mind. You can go a little crazy.
                                                                                                          3:20 would be a great time, best of luck with it. I see you ran by my house on Saturday, I’ll have to come out and give you a wave next week. Is there a live strata tracker you can follow it on?

Comment

3:20 would be a great time, best of luck with it. I see you ran by my house on Saturday, I’ll have to come out and give you a wave next week. Is there a live strata tracker you can follow it on?
                                                                                                            Cheers Joe. Ah you'll have a great day, it's a lot of fun for a spectator, although where you are you won't be getting many high 5s or smiles

There's a tracker app, I'll throw up a link.

Comment

Actually, the Dublin Marathon app is good.

It has a map with a little dot. When you go through a timing mat it estimates where you are based on the pace you went through at.

If I'm having my best day and the plan is working out I'll be a little ahead of the dot when going by you.

Plan is to go through halfway in 1:41:x and run the second half in 1:38:x

Comment

Just have to hope the Rona hasn't dented me.

Comment

You'll be grand Conor. Positive attitude. Covid is leaving way more people completely unscathed than it is having an impact on.

Comment

You'll be grand Conor. Positive attitude. Covid is leaving way more people completely unscathed than it is having an impact on.
                                                                                                                    Cheers man, am feeling way more positive now than earlier in the week.

Comment

How's the post-covid vibes now Laz?

Was hoping I could wander down to Bushy Park to cheer you on but MrsHiFi informs me that JrHiFi's birthday party is on Sunday at 10.30am in some play place so bang goes that idea. Likely won't see any of it this year for the first time in years.

Looking forward to reading how it went for you - hope the weather cools down a bit.

Good luck.

Comment

I’m just finishing the painting of the banners Laz… loud speakers at the ready!

Comment

Haha, thanks lads. Ah that's a pity Benny, I mean that you won't get to see it. My advice for a Sunday play place party is to sacrifice your Saturday night beers

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X