Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

will give this a go!
    ok, will start the bidding at 4... started at 5:22 ended at 4:31 - wasnt really trying but a good starter...

Comment

I see Decathlon are opening beside Ikea today, worth a trip?

Comment

I see Decathlon are opening beside Ikea today, worth a trip?
        Not opening until Saturday I thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post

Not opening until Saturday I thought?
          might have read it wrong in the paper

Comment

ok, will start the bidding at 4... started at 5:22 ended at 4:31 - wasnt really trying but a good starter...
            Fair play Joe. Sounds like you went at it a bit too aggressive. Far too hot a pace for your first k.

Try it at about 6:00, then do your best to increase by <10 secs per split.

I found it tough, in an enjoyable way.

Hardest part was calculating what time I needed to hit the next split at, the further I got into it.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

might have read it wrong in the paper
              It opened today as an invite only to it's online customers. I'll head out during the week and see if there's still queues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Fair play Joe. Sounds like you went at it a bit too aggressive. Far too hot a pace for your first k.

Try it at about 6:00, then do your best to increase by <10 secs per split.

I found it tough, in an enjoyable way.

Hardest part was calculating what time I needed to hit the next split at, the further I got into it.
                it was just co-incidence I wasn't really attempting it, just thought i'd start the bidding to encourage a bit of participation.

did a 10 mile run on Saturday, was much harder than the last one I did as I knew I was doing 10miles this time, whereas before I was doing 5km loops and going again so I was afraid to go too quickly lest I be stranded! The piers in Dun Laoghaire were so nice...

Comment

I did 10 miles myself yesterday trying to keep myself in zone 2 but drifted into zone 3 a good bit - legs were very tired at the end but lungs felt good. My recovery between sessions is getting less and less as I now only have 2 weeks of base building left. Ive lost a good bit of weight but im still very over weight so I feel all this running will become easier if I drop another bit

Comment

If anyone is up for a bit of a different challenge one of our group came up with a Duathlon distance that seems to even itself out depending on whether you are stronger on the bike or on a run. Its;

3km run
                    24km cycle
                    3km run

we have a pretty mixed group of runners and cyclists all coming in around the same time. For reference mine was 1:27:36 with spits of:

16:06
                    54:10
                    17:20

Died a death on the second run but its all just a bit of craic. The above includes transitions prob why the second run is a good bit slower

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                      If anyone is up for a bit of a different challenge one of our group came up with a Duathlon distance that seems to even itself out depending on whether you are stronger on the bike or on a run. Its;

3km run
                      24km cycle
                      3km run

we have a pretty mixed group of runners and cyclists all coming in around the same time. For reference mine was 1:27:36 with spits of:

16:06
                      54:10
                      17:20

Died a death on the second run but its all just a bit of craic. The above includes transitions prob why the second run is a good bit slower
                      I'll try and give this a lash over the next week. Presume you tried to keep it all flat on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I'll try and give this a lash over the next week. Presume you tried to keep it all flat on the bike?
                        oh yeah mostly flat - some minor hills are unavoidable though. Actually a savage bit of craic when you have a group doing it

Comment

Hit a PB yesterday; half marathon in 1:32:39, probably shaving 3 mins off last PB. Have been running slower all of the time the past month or two but felt great from the off yesterday so just kept pushing it. Very interested to test 10km & 5km for PBs some time soon.

Comment

That's some magic feet, FeetMagic. Wp.

It's a while since I've raced myself but i've found my running elevated to some degree during the pandemic. So much more aware of my surroundings.

Just passed 500km for the year, a week ahead of target, mostly in Tymon Park.

Gl smashing your 5km & 10km's

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                              Hit a PB yesterday; half marathon in 1:32:39, probably shaving 3 mins off last PB. Have been running slower all of the time the past month or two but felt great from the off yesterday so just kept pushing it. Very interested to test 10km & 5km for PBs some time soon.
                              4:23 for 21km is some going! My 10km PB is 4:30 pace.

Comment

So, I haven't posted here in a while. Running was non existant in May running about 50km I think and sessioning a bit too much. Decided to challenge a poker bud of mine on the 30th May. He'd be a keen runner but more into MMA who usually does about 150/200km a month running.

Simple bet - Who can do the most miles in June? Nominal €50 bet and loser puts other guy as profiler on FB for July. I'd be pretty competitive and stubborn with good recovery I think so I felt I had a good chance hoping I'd get my fitness back straight away.

All tracked live on Adidas running app which is pretty cool. Started off decent really with 60km first week each. Basically trading 10ks. I picked it up on week 2 with 87km including my first run over 10k since March. Went from 10km to 25km in one move that kicked him off and we've been hammering each other since. Regularly throwing in 20km runs and it's getting pretty brutal.

So far after 25 days he has 349km to my 347km with 5 days to go in the past 4 days I've done 100km+. Basically a HM every morning and 2 evening 10kms.

Truly the worst decision challenging this guyOur times have gone out the window. No real time limit but just to have your runs better than 6 min km

BIG NEEDED
                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Ha, I was wondering why you were pumping out the mileage.

Be careful dude.

Comment

Cracking time man. A race scenario should shave a bit more off that.

Comment

Was supposed to race a 5k at Mondello tonight. An experimental socially distant race. Got cancelled due to the threat of lightning.

Signed up for one on Sunday morn instead in Nurney GAA Club.

Comment

Ha, I was wondering why you were pumping out the mileage.

Be careful dude.
                                        Yeah. I've been lucky so far. He's sending me pics of his feet minus s couple of toenails and his achilles is at him. Still doesn't stop him pumping out 16 miles this morning. He's from Czech Republic and I know him years from poker dealing so trust him. He's the one dictating the amount of miles tbh. He's 1 hour ahead and runs mostly in morning. I basically wake and know what I have to do to get even

Says he has a date tomorrow and won't run. One time dealer

Comment

Just checked Strava, holy fuck man, you've ran 67 miles so far this week!!

It's Thursday!!

You're prob gonna run a >100m week.

You mad hoor.

I've been struggling hard to get to 50 mpw for months now.
                                          Last edited by Lazare; 25-06-20, 22:23.

Comment

Just checked Strava, holy fuck man, you've ran 67 miles so far this week!!

It's Thursday!!

You're prob gonna run a >100m week.

You mad hoor.

I've been struggling hard to get to 50 mpw for months now.
                                            Yeah I know. I'm still losing. Day off today for both of us although I might just do the 2 miles that I'm down so we're even going into the weekend.

Still 4 more days of running after today

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                              So far after 25 days he has 349km to my 347km with 5 days to go in the past 4 days I've done 100km+. Basically a HM every morning and 2 evening 10kms.

BIG NEEDED
                                              Unreal!

Comment

Holy fuck.
                                                I was wondering who that lunatic was on the Stravva group. I’m over here sitting on 0km

Comment

The Aul Switcharoo joined a club 1000 km in 2020

LOL

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Kick in the stones today at the Nurney 5k.

Aiming for sub 20. First k beeped in at 3:58 but the split on the watch beeped about 10m past the 1k marker. There was a lot of tree cover so figured it was throwing the GPS out. Each km was the same but I slowed a fair bit, 2, 3 and 4 were 4:08, 4:06, 4:08.

Couldn't seem to get the pace below 4:00.

Picked it up a good bit for the last km but figured I'd too much to make up.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I rounded the corner with 100m to go and the clock said 19:2x.

Booted it in and went under in 19:37 (on my watch, 19:4x on the clock)

Watch said I'd ran 4.85km though. A few others said the same.

Had similar before with heavy tree cover throwing the GPS way off so put it down to that.

Had about two hours of being on top of the world with a monster 15 sec PB before getting an apology email from them to say they had measured the course wrong, it was short by 100m. They positioned the turnaround cone in the wrong spot.

The tree cover knocked it out but only by 50m.

Was like a kick in the balls.

Based on the pace I was running the last km I calculated the 100m would have taken me 23.4 secs, and that's exactly what they readjusted me to on the results.

20:01.

Can't help feeling I'd have found at least 2 secs when the clock came into view.

Sick.

Comment

That's really shitty on their behalf. Anyone targeting a PB is basically going to be mislead massively on the home straight .
                                                      If you turn the corner and see 19:39, you definitely make it home in 20 seconds.

Great time regardless.

Comment

Kick in the stones today at the Nurney 5k.

Aiming for sub 20. First k beeped in at 3:58 but the split on the watch beeped about 10m past the 1k marker. There was a lot of tree cover so figured it was throwing the GPS out. Each km was the same but I slowed a fair bit, 2, 3 and 4 were 4:08, 4:06, 4:08.

Couldn't seem to get the pace below 4:00.

Picked it up a good bit for the last km but figured I'd too much to make up.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I rounded the corner with 100m to go and the clock said 19:2x.

Booted it in and went under in 19:37 (on my watch, 19:4x on the clock)

Watch said I'd ran 4.85km though. A few others said the same.

Had similar before with heavy tree cover throwing the GPS way off so put it down to that.

Had about two hours of being on top of the world with a monster 15 sec PB before getting an apology email from them to say they had measured the course wrong, it was short by 100m. They positioned the turnaround cone in the wrong spot.

The tree cover knocked it out but only by 50m.

Was like a kick in the balls.

Based on the pace I was running the last km I calculated the 100m would have taken me 23.4 secs, and that's exactly what they readjusted me to on the results.

20:01.

Can't help feeling I'd have found at least 2 secs when the clock came into view.

Sick.
                                                        That's pretty shit. Fairly basic mistake by them. Not exactly a long route

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great running all the same, seems you’ve mentally broken the 20min pace now.

Comment

So, I haven't posted here in a while. Running was non existant in May running about 50km I think and sessioning a bit too much. Decided to challenge a poker bud of mine on the 30th May. He'd be a keen runner but more into MMA who usually does about 150/200km a month running.

Simple bet - Who can do the most miles in June? Nominal €50 bet and loser puts other guy as profiler on FB for July. I'd be pretty competitive and stubborn with good recovery I think so I felt I had a good chance hoping I'd get my fitness back straight away.

All tracked live on Adidas running app which is pretty cool. Started off decent really with 60km first week each. Basically trading 10ks. I picked it up on week 2 with 87km including my first run over 10k since March. Went from 10km to 25km in one move that kicked him off and we've been hammering each other since. Regularly throwing in 20km runs and it's getting pretty brutal.

Truly the worst decision challenging this guyOur times have gone out the window. No real time limit but just to have your runs better than 6 min km

BIG NEEDED
                                                            53Km today
                                                            Don't forget you have an hour after he hits the end of june if its close enough to salvage

Comment

BIG NEEDED
                                                              53Km today and over 10 Marathons in the month

Don't forget you have an hour after he hits the end of june if its close enough to salvage

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

53Km today and over 10 Marathons in the month

I could have

Comment

How did it fair out Aul Switch?

Comment

I was looking at the table leaders in some of the larger groups like ParkRun. some of the stats are mind blowing.
                                                                    Any body know this fella? https://www.strava.com/athletes/3285...&year_offset=0

Nearly 54 Hours and 400km...LAST WEEK

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                      I was looking at the table leaders in some of the larger groups like ParkRun. some of the stats are mind blowing.
                                                                      Any body know this fella? https://www.strava.com/athletes/3285...&year_offset=0

Nearly 54 Hours and 400km...LAST WEEK
                                                                      Madness! 1200km in a month...

Comment

Madness! 1200km in a month...
                                                                        Almost unbelievable tbh.

Comment

Well I’m buzzing at the moment, haven’t been doing much pure running of late as tennis took over and back to the office. None of my normal lunch running buddies wanted to go today so I said I’d go for a 5km attempt around the green as it’s pretty much as flat a course as possible. I set my current 5kmPB of 21:12 there in January 2019 and despite doing way more training since then, losing 18lbs and being much fitter I haven’t been below 21:45 this year. Also my split timer wasn’t working so I wasn’t getting notifications but I know 4 laps is ~5km. Anyway I took off like the clappers and stayed as close to max as possible for the duration hoping to get into the 20s but no good... passed the 20s altogether to get 19:25! Absolutely delighted... 3:32 first km and 3:41 2nd km put me in good stead then just did 4:06 for last three. Feels great.

Comment

Well I’m buzzing at the moment, haven’t been doing much pure running of late as tennis took over and back to the office. None of my normal lunch running buddies wanted to go today so I said I’d go for a 5km attempt around the green as it’s pretty much as flat a course as possible. I set my current 5kmPB of 21:12 there in January 2019 and despite doing way more training since then, losing 18lbs and being much fitter I haven’t been below 21:45 this year. Also my split timer wasn’t working so I wasn’t getting notifications but I know 4 laps is ~5km. Anyway I took off like the clappers and stayed as close to max as possible for the duration hoping to get into the 20s but no good... passed the 20s altogether to get 19:25! Absolutely delighted... 3:32 first km and 3:41 2nd km put me in good stead then just did 4:06 for last three. Feels great.
                                                                            Class! powerful running

Comment

Wow Joe, that's fantastic!!!

Comment

Cheers, I sensed there was something good in there but I just didn’t feel right anytime to go for it. Glad to have made that step now... not sure what’s next

Comment

Comment

That’s class Joe.
                                                                                    As for what next, if you maintained that first KM split you’d get to 18min.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                      That’s class Joe.
                                                                                      As for what next, if you maintained that first KM split you’d get to 18min.
                                                                                      I think the next target is to run sub 20 in a race. Then I’ll really feel like I’ve nailed it.

Comment

Went for a jog in the mountains just there after getting inspiration from Solks 100mileWestern trail film that he posted in the BBV. Absolutely buzzing after it, some trail running mixed with tarmac, hills (walked most of them) great scenery pissed rain for a bit but it was grand.

Calf is a bit sore now. Turns out a rash I have on the calf is psoriasis (which may be contributing to the pain) so the GP prescribed steroid cream so I'm hoping when it clears I will be able to run more on it.
                                                                                        She also put me on a Ventolin inhaler as I have had a wheeze for a good while now and was struggling with my breathing when running.

Completely different feel running in the mountains , mind you the traffic on the way back was dodgy so will be staying clear of the main road from now on.
                                                                                        Last edited by dinekes; 05-07-20, 15:28.

Comment

Got a 20 second PB in a 10k solo time trial yesterday. 43:02

Pleasantly surprised myself. Like Joe, I'd like to test it in a race scenario.

Joe, the more I think about your sub 20 the more I'm impressed. You've got serious potential in the 5k with a solid block of specific training.

Low to mid 18s for sure.

Comment

Got a 20 second PB in a 10k solo time trial yesterday. 43:02

Pleasantly surprised myself. Like Joe, I'd like to test it in a race scenario.

Joe, the more I think about your sub 20 the more I'm impressed. You've got serious potential in the 5k with a solid block of specific training.

Low to mid 18s for sure.
                                                                                            It’s funny because you doubt yourself when your running slower more often and lots of my mates were getting into running 5kms during lockdown and they were all posting times lower than mine, and were pushing themselves every time, but I kept trying to do more 5min pace running to get the miles in. Turns out lots of mileage plus a bit of rest, and also doing a 1km slow warm up all really helped! A good mate of mine got to 20:00 flat so I really wanted to get into 20s to put pressure on as he broke my 21:12 record!

Thats great on the 10km time, I’m such a long way from 43:02! My best is still 45:01, and that felt like it took every ounce! I also think the mental side of it is really interesting, was talking to someone before the run about Navy seals saying that when you get to the point where you can’t go anymore, you’re actually about halfway to what you can do, so I had that in my mind running that I did t want to give a shit, just bang out whatever is possible.

Comment

2 weeks without a run due to neck sprain, I’m very eager to get back out after hours indulging docs on YouTube - some really good ones top down when you search ultra trail docs

Comment

Anyone have the link to the documentary Solskjaer posted somewhere in the BBv?

Comment

Anyone have the link to the documentary Solskjaer posted somewhere in the BBv?
                                                                                                  He posted another too will post link later

Comment

[QUOTE=Goodluck2me;n1669723]Anyone have the link to the documentary Solskjaer posted somewhere

Comment

Here's the other one . It was actually posted by BennyHifi
                                                                                                      Haven't watched all of it yet.

its an article as it happens and I had read it after all. Funny how my memory played it back as if I had watched some of it. Hmmm....Trump Syndrome

It lasts almost two months, with competitors running 18 hours a day. The 'Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence' is a race unlike any other.
                                                                                                      Last edited by dinekes; 07-07-20, 12:40.

Comment

2 weeks without a run due to neck sprain, I’m very eager to get back out after hours indulging docs on YouTube - some really good ones top down when you search ultra trail docs
                                                                                                        I hate being injured. Its mostly missing out on the running but there's that slight feeling of vulnerability attached to it.
                                                                                                        Like you're the injured wildebeast nervously looking over his shoulder while calling out to the herd "hey guys wait up"

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                          Here's the other one . It was actually posted by BennyHifi
                                                                                                          Haven't watched all of it yet.

its an article as it happens and I had read it after all. Funny how my memory played it back as if I had watched some of it. Hmmm....Trump Syndrome

https://www.bbc.com/sport/48702452
                                                                                                          Amazing article, hoping that documentary is available here.

Comment

This is a wonderful little video...

In 1981 my Dad ran up a mountain in the small Basque town of Elgoibar for a bet. Years later the record still stands and the famous run of El Inglés is now…

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

He posted another too will post link later

I watched this earlier this evening and it's fantastic. Cheers Solskjaer.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

I watched this earlier this evening and it's fantastic. Cheers Solskjaer.
                                                                                                                WTF 9min miles for 100miles up 15000ft of climbing is the record?? I respect these guys for their distances and discipline but never knew speed could be impressive too.

Comment

Only a 200 miler!!

Getting addicted to these.
                                                                                                                  She does a good interview with Joe Rogan (easy to find on youtubw), comes across very well.

Comment

It's not often I break a PB these days but clocked up my 7th 10Km in 7 days today to beat the previous 6-in-a-row in Lanzarote 5 or 6 years ago.

Will probably try and rock on to 10 or until the weather gets the better of me or I wake up feeling too fat or stiff some day next week.

Comment

That’s good going, I assume you’re running slower than normal?

Comment

Haha... well I run pretty slowly anyway so I don't think I could get much slower. But actually today and yesterday were the two fastest after the first day. I don't change anything TBH.

Comment

Was up in the mountains these past 2 weekends doing a bit.
                                                                                                                          Jogged Tibradden trail (the flat bits) which was great. Constantly adjusting as ground is uneven with lots or rocks so great for the stabilizer muscles (or so I've read)
                                                                                                                          Also did a nice 5 mile section of a side road with probably 60/40 split between jogging and walking (usually the steep hills)
                                                                                                                          I found the steep gradients really difficult but picked a target and then broke it down into 5 metre chunks to get there.
                                                                                                                          Following Laz's advice in general about going really slow and not worrying about time.
                                                                                                                          Calf injury I had been struggling with is getting increasingly stronger. The patch of psoriasis is cleaning up nicely so figure that must have had something to do with the repeated injuries and pain of it.
                                                                                                                          Going to stick with slow for now and build up mileage.

Used to have a great engine when hurling/soccer etc but haven't done long or even medium distance in ages.

Some feel good factor in it, can feel the addiction taking hold!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X