X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Wahoo, delighra for you.

Mix those endorphins with a couple of pints for the ultimate drug
    Lol. Had one before the match earlier. Had to drive back to Meath. Just in the door

Comment

Myself and a friend are singing up for this Bray run if anyone else is interested. Plenty of time to train as its not until the 4th of April . It's a trilogy race series. I'll do the Kippure one too in August but the October one clashes with Vegas.

Comment

Ditched the plan to bring my running gear to India.

Correctly so I suspect. No paths to speak of anywhere in Pune (worse than Cairo) with most people walking around on the road in-between traffic and the roadside dwellers of whom there are many.

Not too many mangy dogs observed yet but you'd need eyes in the back of your head to weave around. Will stick to walking I suppose. Maybe around the hotel in Bangalore will be better.

Comment

@Dobby, that's fooking awesome man, delighted to read that.

@Danny, have a couple of nuggets of advice based on experience.

Breathing, practise using your diaphragm to breath. Breath in with your mouth, feel it in your abdomen. This allows for max oxygen intake. You'll also need to make sure your posture is good. Chin up, chest out. Imagine your wind pipe as a hose. Having your chin down effectively kinks the pipe, restricting oxygen.

My main advice to you though is to slow down. Forget about notching the treadmill up for a while. Right now all you want to do is train the aerobic system. That's what builds speed and endurance. Running too fast switches the aerobic system off.
          You should be able to stop at any point and have a chat as if you were walking. It may seem ridiculous, you will feel like you're getting nowhere. Believe me though, you'll be getting stronger and stronger.

Do that until mid April until the weather gets good then get out on the roads. Sign up to parkrun.

The best endurance athletes in the world only run fast 20% of the time. 80% of their training is slow easy running, building their aerobic engine.

Delighted you've caught the bug.
          Maybe that's the main reason I'm having trouble breathing as I'm running against the wall and it kinda throws my balance off so I look down at the treadmill to see how I'm running.

I started the first run of the final week yesterday and managed to get to the 30 minutes, ran at a consistent pace of 7.7 on the treadmill, managed my breathing a bit better and switched to the first treadmill as you can at least view the gym, kept my head up for a decent portion of it and felt my breathing wasn't as heavy and didn't feel my throat burning. Running again tomorrow so I'll report back.

These are the stats from yesterday per km, (1) 7:14 (2) 7:14 (3) 7:18 (4) 7:25 (4.1) 7:40

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
          Less scientific that Lazare but my tuppence worth would be after 8-10 mins cut your pace drastically and see if you can breakthrough the breathing issue.

Don't worry about pace right now. Minutes, endurance, keeping going - up to 30 mins - is an easily achievable goal based on your progress so far.

Thirty mins opens up a whole new world like park runs which could be the perfect way to transition to outside regularly.

Once you're outside you'll never want to go back inside.
          I had actually forgotten but was recently in Lanzarote and there was an inactive volcano beside where we were staying a couple of morning I'd go for a hike on my own and done some running on the open stretches, felt very liberating for sure.

There is a local park near us that has a 5k parkrun every Saturday morning I know my missus and our friend are on the cusp of that I've mentioned to them that they should do it.

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
          Hey, good to see another active member, what I find useful when I’ve just finished my 2km and HR is getting higher is to run what’s feels like the same pace but with long deep breaths, and that calms me down and effectively acclimatized me to the new normal of that HR. If it doesn’t get even slight better then you’re running too fast.

Outside in the rain is great! The only weather I don’t like is very hot! Also agree with Laz, no need to before a run up to 10am I’d say. Drink a glass of water though.

This sounds like what I do. By the way I’m happy to do more than the 5km, I’ll get on up to 10km you after, could do the course twice?
          Noted, thanks for the heads up.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
            Ditched the plan to bring my running gear to India.

Correctly so I suspect. No paths to speak of anywhere in Pune (worse than Cairo) with most people walking around on the road in-between traffic and the roadside dwellers of whom there are many.

Not too many mangy dogs observed yet but you'd need eyes in the back of your head to weave around. Will stick to walking I suppose. Maybe around the hotel in Bangalore will be better.
            Pune is a horrible for traffic, I stayed in the city but was working in a campus miles out and it was a ridiculous commute. Pro tip is to hire a motorbike if you want to go anywhere.

I did manage to get a couple of short runs in, one around the blocks near the hotel but the paths were terrible there, out at the campus was better but the heat was silly during the day.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Pune is a horrible for traffic, I stayed in the city but was working in a campus miles out and it was a ridiculous commute. Pro tip is to hire a motorbike if you want to go anywhere.

I did manage to get a couple of short runs in, one around the blocks near the hotel but the paths were terrible there, out at the campus was better but the heat was silly during the day.
              Yeah pretty much this (but lol at hiring a motorbike - lunacy! Perambulation is a challenge with the traffic).

Bangalore infrastructure in much better (best in India according to my local contact) so could deffo have run here had I brought my gear.

Went record shopping instead and found a rare Brazilian record worth e200 for 150 rupee (e2.30)

Comment

Update on my running this week, I completed the final run on the Get Running app on Tuesday and was absolutely chuffed to have come from stages where "you've 10 seconds left" feeling like an absolute eternity to "you've been running for 20 minutes only 10 more to go"

I went out to watch my friend run 16k in Naas on Sunday afternoon and he was delighted with his time and it was nice to see such a good atmosphere at the event, it gave me some encouragement today when I was on the treadmill to see if I could get to 5k.

Delighted to say I managed to complete the run in 37m5s this running lark isn't as bad as I envisioned at the start

Comment

Welcome to the club🏃*♂️🏃*♂️
                  Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Nice one Danny
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

How’s everyone getting on? Feel runnnig is the only thing left now so will probably focus on getting the 10km speed up

Comment

How’s everyone getting on? Feel runnnig is the only thing left now so will probably focus on getting the 10km speed up
                        Lost a good bit of motivation alright. Still try to do 15 miles a week just to keep ticking over. Golf courses closed now too so might get me up to 20

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                          Lost a good bit of motivation alright. Still try to do 15 miles a week just to keep ticking over. Golf courses closed now too so might get me up to 20
                          Yeah I was the same with tennis until it was closed last night. Weather so good and long evenings back next week so that’ll help getting out to run again for sure.

Comment

Went for my longest ever run last night at 12.5km. It wasnt intended, had a good podcast on and the evening was gorgeous so just kept going. Incidentally got my 2md best ever 10k time. Felt great after it so might try and make it a regular thing and maybe aim for a half marathon by the end of the year.

I'm still in work so dont have the same time available as you boys on lockdown. Could change next week

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                              Went for my longest ever run last night at 12.5km. It wasnt intended, had a good podcast on and the evening was gorgeous so just kept going. Incidentally got my 2md best ever 10k time. Felt great after it so might try and make it a regular thing and maybe aim for a half marathon by the end of the year.

I'm still in work so dont have the same time available as you boys on lockdown. Could change next week
                              I work in a contact lens factory. Still flat out and unbelievably people started stockpiling contacts in our Asian market so we're at full capacity

Comment

First 5k back today after nine days of feeling under the weather (not CV thankfully).

Bit of a struggle but the lunchtime sunshine helped.

Working from home, juggling work and nipper, but hopefully I can get out most days for a 5 or 10K.

Currently on 200km for the year. Target is 250km by 31 March so not too far off and if I'm fit for a 10km tomorrow I'll get within the region and be happy enough.

Good luck with your miles all!

Comment

I've been happy enough with my levels of activity since this all started happening. I've been doing a decent amount of running despite my half-marathon was postponed til later in the year (was due to be on in about five weeks).

I've done about 36km in the past week-ish, including my first sub-60 min 10k (first time trying tbf) where I managed a fairly easy 55:53 while running 12.7km. Did another one in 59:02 a few days later while running 11.62km.

I've also been up on the bike turbo trainer a couple of times, mostly for short little efforts before work or at lunch. I have it set up beside my desk and have been finding it very enjoyable. Using Zwift with a smart trainer is much more like actually cycling than I would have expected. This morning I was able to do a short spin around Central Park while waiting for something work-related to finish up and could recognise places from when I ran around there in the flesh a few weeks ago. Pretty neat.

Comment

Since the gyms are closed I've switched to running outside for the first time and finding it particularly difficult.

Done 4 or 5 runs, first 5k I ran with my missus & our friend and I was trying to keep pace with them but I gassed myself after 2k and fell way behind them, second time I gave them a 30 second lead and then started running on my own and made it through, but I'm feeling like my legs are going to give out from underneath me and legs feel sore after it. Third run I got just under 4k done and was just wrecked so stopped and walked for a bit and then completed another 1k and was done for the day.

This week it's been pretty light haven't been doing too much just a couple 1k runs mixed with walking.

Comment

Pacing myself was the biggest challenge I found when I started running. I use my breathing to pace myself. 5 breaths, very manageable pace for 5 or 10k. 4 breaths, working but in the comfort zone. 3 breaths, pushing it, can feel the heart pumping and really working hard. 2 breaths is almost a sprint and reserved for the end of the run if I have more in the tank or trying to make a time.

Got that off a YouTube video and really helped. Maybe look at breathing techniques but if you're gassing yourself, just slow down and never try to keep up with others. Everyone is different

Comment

Went out for a run last night and wasn't really feeling it at all but ultimately was glad I did as got through the 5k and felt pretty decent throughout it, thought a bit into 2k that I wasn't going to complete it but managed to get pass that and said to myself that if I make it to 4k I'd push myself for the final bit, low & behold I ran my fastest kilometer (I'm 95% sure) but I was looking at my watch waiting for it to tick over to 5k

Is there any tutorial videos or reading material for breathing techniques & stretches to do after the run?

Comment

I always find it's about 1.5k-2k before I start to get into a run

Comment

Yeah very similar myself, I got a new Samsung Galaxy watch for Christmas and it's been excellent for keeping track of all my steps/workouts etc, it has the option of a running coach and I tried to set one up the other day but it didn't work out too well it had me running at my usual walking pace and it was really annoying, anybody use the watch that has something setup to help me pace myself?

Also pretty handy that you can download Spotify songs to it for offline playback, can connect my headphones to it so don't need to bring my phone with me when I'm running.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                              Since the gyms are closed I've switched to running outside for the first time and finding it particularly difficult.

Done 4 or 5 runs, first 5k I ran with my missus & our friend and I was trying to keep pace with them but I gassed myself after 2k and fell way behind them, second time I gave them a 30 second lead and then started running on my own and made it through, but I'm feeling like my legs are going to give out from underneath me and legs feel sore after it. Third run I got just under 4k done and was just wrecked so stopped and walked for a bit and then completed another 1k and was done for the day.

This week it's been pretty light haven't been doing too much just a couple 1k runs mixed with walking.
                                              I'd recommend you just relax and go at your own pace for a while.
                                              Once you have done your Couch to 5K you should find that you are able to repeat it at the same pace every couple of days and also add to the distance a bit if you want to, up to 10% per week .
                                              Once you have been doing the 5K for a while you can add in other things like trying to run fast for the last K or finishing with intervals of running fast for 100M and taking your time to recover and repeating.

Being outside should be infinitely better than the treadmill the only things to watch for hills which are always harder than you expect (canal is always good) and also try to run on a variety of surfaces and cambers (then the road is falling to one side try to vary which leg is on the low side)

Comment

Hows everyone doing with the running? My yearly target was 750km and I passed the 250km mark today so I'm well on target. Dont think I'll make 1,000km but I'd be delighted to get the 750+.

Obviously it's easier now with no work to go to so getting 10k in every day. Plan is to increase that to a morning 10k and evening 5k next week, will see how the legs hold up.

Comment

Hows everyone doing with the running? My yearly target was 750km and I passed the 250km mark today so I'm well on target. Dont think I'll make 1,000km but I'd be delighted to get the 750+.

Obviously it's easier now with no work to go to so getting 10k in every day. Plan is to increase that to a morning 10k and evening 5k next week, will see how the legs hold up.
                                                  I think you should cross post to the BBV to enrage some of the folk there

I did more running that usual last month due to the gym closing/stay at home situation. Hopefully will get a 5km-7km run in three or four times a week for the foreseeable future, would be more than happy with that.

Comment

395km until today but it's a graph that's sloping down as the months progress

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                      I think you should cross post to the BBV to enrage some of the folk there

I did more running that usual last month due to the gym closing/stay at home situation. Hopefully will get a 5km-7km run in three or four times a week for the foreseeable future, would be more than happy with that.
                                                      Intention isnt to enrage anyone which is why I posted here. Anyone that doesnt run or has no interest doesn't have to read it..

You still working from home? Make sure to get out for something. Just to get out of "the office" for a while.

Comment

255K so far this year compares well with a total of just over 500 last year.

Not great on goals other than to try and keep going out as much as I can for as long as I can but I might try to work on a 5K time for a while rather than the relentless plodding I have been doing and the main thing I'll be looking at is at least the Waterford half in Dec in a better time than last year and probably another half in the summer.

Managed to get in 142 in March getting out every other day and even though I could really do with a physio massage so far most of the wobbly bits are holding together OK. A bit worried about a sore groin that might need a bit of rest soon but I would like to keep this kind of rate up as much as possible especially that Swimming and Cycling are off the agenda for now.

Have managed to flick that almost impossible to find 'Eat everything you see' switch hidden deep inside my head into the off position and that has led to a drop of 11Kg from post Christmas peak of mid Jan to hit my initial target of 88 today which is a three year low. Think I'll try to keep it going and set a new target of 83, seems impossible if I think about it but not as impossible as 88 looked in January!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          255K so far this year compares well with a total of just over 500 last year.

Not great on goals other than to try and keep going out as much as I can for as long as I can but I might try to work on a 5K time for a while rather than the relentless plodding I have been doing and the main thing I'll be looking at is at least the Waterford half in Dec in a better time than last year and probably another half in the summer.

Managed to get in 142 in March getting out every other day and even though I could really do with a physio massage so far most of the wobbly bits are holding together OK. A bit worried about a sore groin that might need a bit of rest soon but I would like to keep this kind of rate up as much as possible especially that Swimming and Cycling are off the agenda for now.

Have managed to flick that almost impossible to find 'Eat everything you see' switch hidden deep inside my head into the off position and that has led to a drop of 11Kg from post Christmas peak of mid Jan to hit my initial target of 88 today which is a three year low. Think I'll try to keep it going and set a new target of 83, seems impossible if I think about it but not as impossible as 88 looked in January!
                                                          Nice one! Beach bod 2020

Comment

Intention isnt to enrage anyone which is why I posted here. Anyone that doesnt run or has no interest doesn't have to read it..

You still working from home? Make sure to get out for something. Just to get out of "the office" for a while.
                                                            Yep working from home and have toddler around so very difficult to get out, sadly. Still aiming for 20km per week though, which is about the max I'll have the time to do.

My 'eat everything in sight' switch still engaged unfortunately.

Comment

Be very careful dude. If you're doing doubles you'll have to keep the pace really easy on them.

If you use this time to just run everything nice and easy by the end of this you'll be incredibly fit.

Comment

I'm at 775km for the year so far. Started base building the first week of the year up until three weeks ago.

Then began a half marathon plan for Cork on May 31st. Had planned to see it out anyway and maybe do a 13.1m time trial by myself that day. Had a route picked out and all.

I think that's gone now.

In the grand scheme of things it's obv nowhere near important but I'm a little bit sick about it. I had worked myself up to doing in and around 70km per week and was building to about 80. Hadn't ran shorter than 11km in weeks, regularly running 14 - 16k midweek before work. Was feeling the fittest I've ever felt. The heart rate training was keeping the injury at bay and things were looking good.

Really feeling more and more paranoid about running now, feel it's getting progressively more socially unacceptable, from listening to texts read out on radio shows etc.

Don't feel comfortable doing more than about 8k now. But look, fuck it, this is too important. Just ranting in here as it's the running thread.

Don't tell Kev.

Comment

Be very careful dude. If you're doing doubles you'll have to keep the pace really easy on them.

If you use this time to just run everything nice and easy by the end of this you'll be incredibly fit.
                                                                  Yeah, legs have been too heavy yesterday and today so clearly running too fast in the morning run. If I feel ok I'll do 2, otherwise leave it. Dont want to injure myself, especially now.

Comment

Doubles are fine, once you're clever about the effort level. Avoiding injury is all about being mindful of recovery. You can active recover though, ie, light super easy running.

Deffo have a crack at a 10k or 5k pb, but just make sure you're running super easy 3 days before it and 3 days after it.

Comment

I'm at 775km for the year so far. Started base building the first week of the year up until three weeks ago.

Then began a half marathon plan for Cork on May 31st. Had planned to see it out anyway and maybe do a 13.1m time trial by myself that day. Had a route picked out and all.

I think that's gone now.

In the grand scheme of things it's obv nowhere near important but I'm a little bit sick about it. I had worked myself up to doing in and around 70km per week and was building to about 80. Hadn't ran shorter than 11km in weeks, regularly running 14 - 16k midweek before work. Was feeling the fittest I've ever felt. The heart rate training was keeping the injury at bay and things were looking good.

Really feeling more and more paranoid about running now, feel it's getting progressively more socially unacceptable, from listening to texts read out on radio shows etc.

Don't feel comfortable doing more than about 8k now. But look, fuck it, this is too important. Just ranting in here as it's the running thread.

Don't tell Kev.
                                                                      Scumbag

Comment

Just checked my own there and I’m at 199km for the year, but what’s amazed me is how far off the pace I am in the space of just 3-4weeks without regular running. I need to get out more it seems, but getting up early when I don’t have to, is tricky enough!

Comment

I think that's gone now.

Don't tell Kev.
                                                                          It would be better to let the virus win than for decent, sensible people to start listening to the sorts of people who text radio shows.

^ Not exaggerating.

Comment

I've managed 213km running to date this year, which is impressive compared to 92.2km in 2019! I've also managed to get my 10k PB down to ~56 mins and my 5k down to 23:15 (very pleased with that one) in the last couple of weeks. Delighted with how I've taken to running in the last six months.

This would have been the time of year I expected to shift strongly towards the bike but all my upcoming events are cancelled and it looks like that's going to be a solely indoor pursuit for me for a while which is very disappointing, but at least I'm enjoying the turbo trainer more than expected and I can try to use the structured workouts it excels at to actually get better.

It'll also give me the chance to keep tipping away at the running and see can I get better. I'd really like to do that Waterford half-marathon Tony is always talking about. Not sure what other goals to aim for. I'm pretty sure I could improve that 10k time by several minutes at my leisure. 20:XX seems more achievable now than it did a couple of weeks ago also.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                              I'm pretty sure I could improve that 10k time by several minutes at my leisure. .
                                                                              Absolutely. You're in sub 48min with that 5k time.

Comment

Looking forward to the 1k pot bellied dash in September .

Comment

Good progress last few days, 2mins off the 5km Times and getting closer to the 21:12 PB. Think I’ll have a crack at beating that this week

Comment

New 10km PB of 45:01, went out looking for sub 45 so a little disappointed to miss it. Old PB was 46:56 so can’t be too disappointed. There might be a 44 in there, but if I can’t get 5km below 21:12 that’ll never happen.

Comment

New 10km PB of 45:01, went out looking for sub 45 so a little disappointed to miss it. Old PB was 46:56 so can’t be too disappointed. There might be a 44 in there, but if I can’t get 5km below 21:12 that’ll never happen.
                                                                                      45min is a great 10km time. Congrats.
                                                                                      I reckon you'd crack that 21:12 now.

Comment

I've done very little running this year. Very little training since the gym closed.
                                                                                        Started back with kettlebells last week.
                                                                                        Adding in 50m loaded carries, and 100m "runs" between sets. Not really sprinting, more recovery runs.
                                                                                        Good mix of aerobic and anaerobic.

Comment

2020 Goals
                                                                                          Code:
                                                                                          750km run (~2k per day)
                                                                                          adare 10k
                                                                                          great limerick 10k
                                                                                          connemarathon 21k
                                                                                          25 min 5k
                                                                                          20 parkruns by eoy 

4000km cycling (~40k per week in shit 6 months, ~120 per week in decent 6 months)
                                                                                          westportif
                                                                                          ring of beara
                                                                                          ring of kerry
                                                                                          ring of clare/tour de burren
                                                                                          bad craic hill pb

triathlon
                                                                                          one sprint
                                                                                          one olympic

60 books

kick cigarettes
                                                                                          reduce booze intake

see 68.xx on scale
                                                                                          get back into good sleep routine
                                                                                          Jeez this makes slightly depressing reading now looking back. All those great events to look forward to gone

On the positive side I'm keeping ahead of the running target despite getting started cycling. I've 239km out of 750km done which is 22km ahead of trend for 750km yearly target.

After a slow start to the year mostly due to terrible weather I'm slowly starting to ramp up on the bike. A fairly embarrassing 400km done to date but that amounts to 100km per week to the end of the year to reach the stretch target of 4000km. I'm enjoying doing structured workouts on the turbo and even had an hour cycling around (within 2km) the other day for ~25km which was far more enjoyable than I would have expected.

On course with the books. The weight is stubbornly hanging around between 71kg & 72kg, probably a lot to do with sinking too many cans of beer for the last few weeks and not doing a great job of getting to bed on time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                            45min is a great 10km time. Congrats.
                                                                                            I reckon you'd crack that 21:12 now.
                                                                                            I'm hoping so, but still feels miles off!

Comment

I'm hoping so, but still feels miles off!
                                                                                              Race time converters suggest the equivalent 5km is 21:35

assuming the 10km wasn't complete balls out, you could push for 21:10 now imo

Comment

Had taken the foot of the gas with running but got back out last week for a 3k run and this morning I pushed myself to get 5k back in the books. Got the bike out for a spin during the week also, quick jaunt around the area.

I'd hope to have lost 2 stone for what would've been my wedding next month and I'm on coarse for that (well after getting rid of all the easter eggs this week) just 4lbs shy of it, it's obviously been a strange one as I was putting on muscle when in the gym lifting but since that's closed I've been dropping weight because I've not been able to keep up that regime.

If I can get my head in the right space in regards doing workouts in the house I wonder where I'd end up on the scales. Got myself a custom made suit and I wanted to make sure was going to look the part for it so being on the cusp of 2 stone down is good to see, missus has been baking like crazy also so that isn't helping
                                                                                                Last edited by tylerdurden94; 18-04-20, 16:35.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                  Had taken the foot of the gas with running but got back out last week for a 3k run and this morning I pushed myself to get 5k back in the books. Got the bike out for a spin during the week also, quick jaunt around the area.

I'd hope to have lost 2 stone for what would've been my wedding next month and I'm on coarse for that (well after getting rid of all the easter eggs this week) just 4lbs shy of it, it's obviously been a strange one as I was putting on muscle when in the gym lifting but since that's closed I've been dropping weight because I've not been able to keep up that regime.

If I can get my head in the right space in regards doing workouts in the house I wonder where I'd end up on the scales. Got myself & custom made suit and I wanted to make sure was going to look the part for it so being on the cusp of 2 stone down is good to see, missus has been baking like crazy also so that isn't helping
                                                                                                  keep your exercise like your eating, little and often and you'll soon be back at it

Comment

Aiming to do a sub 20min 5km this year at some point. On the way to that I did a 5km today with 1/3/5k easy ~5min pace and then 2/4 sub 4min. Did 3:40 and 3:45, so confidence starting to rise a fair bit now.

Comment

Nice one Joe, that's seriously quick. Well on your way.

Good idea for a session.

Comment

my mate who I'm training with did 20.00 today... he's raging!

Comment

Delighted with progress i'm making, I went through 15km earlier in the week a solid 58mins quicker than my last attempt at the distance. It's got me thinking about giving a half marathon a go again, last time was 2:38, and I think I could genuinely knock an hour off that this time. That's my main thinking on it.

* That was 3x a 5km loop in case there's begrudging snoopers

Comment

Delighted with progress i'm making, I went through 15km earlier in the week a solid 58mins quicker than my last attempt at the distance. It's got me thinking about giving a half marathon a go again, last time was 2:38, and I think I could genuinely knock an hour off that this time. That's my main thinking on it.

* That was 3x a 5km loop in case there's begrudging snoopers
                                                                                                            I think you could too Joe, at least an hour.
                                                                                                            You're not far behind me and I was on target for around 93 mins in the Cork half before I knocked it on the head.

Comment

I'm gonna go for a run this week. Posting here to keep myself accountable

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                I'm gonna go for a run this week. Posting here to keep myself accountable
                                                                                                                what distance and target pace?

Comment

I think you could too Joe, at least an hour.
                                                                                                                  You're not far behind me and I was on target for around 93 mins in the Cork half before I knocked it on the head.
                                                                                                                  i'll have to look into what's expected for actual half training.

Comment

What sort of plan have you been following lately?

Comment

Did 8.25km yesterday, nothing to most of you LSR legends but for me, that was the longest run in over two years I'd guess! The 4km-6.5km distances are just so handy for me, in terms of running during my work lunch break, the time away from minding my kid, etc... And more importantly longer runs just aren't in my legs for whatever reason

With no gym, this month will see the most kms I've ever done - think I'm close to 80km right now and will hopefully get a final 5km in this afternoon. I only did 265km for the entirety of 2019!

Comment

What sort of plan have you been following lately?
                                                                                                                        Really just trying to mix it up, and challenge myself in different ways.

Started out by joining a few mates in a challenge to improve 5k times. so was focusing on that, then I wanted to up the mileage so figured I'd see how I felt going at 4:30 pace for 10km and that was fine. Then tried going flat out for the even kms in a 5km again just to see how quickly i can recover from faster speeds, and then I went for a long run 15km again to see if I would hit a wall after 10km or have energy left. I'd loads left after 10km and ran a 22.20 final 5km. I'm going to give my 5km PB time a good crack soon also. I think all my friends that are using strava and posting times makes it easier to motivate myself to get out too.

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                        Did 8.25km yesterday, nothing to most of you LSR legends but for me, that was the longest run in over two years I'd guess! The 4km-6.5km distances are just so handy for me, in terms of running during my work lunch break, the time away from minding my kid, etc... And more importantly longer runs just aren't in my legs for whatever reason

With no gym, this month will see the most kms I've ever done - think I'm close to 80km right now and will hopefully get a final 5km in this afternoon. I only did 265km for the entirety of 2019!
                                                                                                                        That's good going, surprised you haven't done much running given you regularly post fast 5km times?!

Comment

I started running a bit #runningwanker

And out of curiosity tried a 5k last week, I started out too fast and was gassed after about 2k.

Tried again on Mon, and actively slowed down, finished in 31ish, and then just over 30mins yesterday.

Given that I haven't done more than walking in the last couple of years, am I inviting injury by not putting in more groundwork? Loads of slow(er) miles?

I'd be happy with doing three 5ks during the week. No aspirations for races or longer distances. Is that a feasible plan? Or do I need to be doing something more structured?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X