Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Yeah, great idea. Nothing pencilled in myself yet this side July, will be in the market for a half in June. Will likely also do the Bob Heffernan 5k in May.

Would any of you fancy signing up for the race series? 10k in July, 10m in Aug and a half in Sep. Fantastic races with huge crowds.
    Interesting... will look into it.

Comment

First London parkrun in the bag this morning - Victoria Dock parkrun, finished in 21:15 on my Garmin. Fastest run in a few months, hopefully will be back to regular sub-21 runs shortly, the last 10 months or so have been brutal for me.

Flat as a pancake course, but a bit exposed in places so the wind had an impact. There are so many parkruns in London you could come back every weekend and do a different one for almost an entire year!

Comment

Did 5k this morning with Ciara . Knocked minutes off my time Not sure if I should submit it as a PB though.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
          Did 5k this morning with Ciara . Knocked minutes off my time Not sure if I should submit it as a PB though.
          One of the toughest runs of my life today in it.

Had 11 miles on the cards, was grand with her behind me but fuck me on the way back. Running up the Naas Road into it was like running with someone pushing you backwards. Had to stop for a minute. First time needing to do that in a long while.

Ran out of fuel too and got a bit crampy, went out on an empty stomach. Tough tough run.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Had 11 miles on the cards, was grand with her behind me but fuck me on the way back. Running up the Naas Road into it was like running with someone pushing you backwards. Had to stop for a minute. First time needing to do that in a long while.

Ran out of fuel too and got a bit crampy, went out on an empty stomach. Tough tough run.
            ...Congrats on passing 5,000km on strava...

Comment

Haha, Did I?

Didn't notice that myself.

Comment

Ah here Very breezy out there for you slender types . The missus was slagging me about going out in that weather . Its supposed to be a workout , this is perfect , half the distance ,twice the effort. Enjoyed it .

Comment

Have an appointment in The Beacon sports clinic tomorrow morn.

Range of tests mostly centred around heart rate training. Lactate threshold, Vo2Max and a full body composition analysis where I get into a giant egg called a Bodpod.

Looking forward to the results. The guy is a HR training expert so it should be good.

Comment

Have an appointment in The Beacon sports clinic tomorrow morn.

Range of tests mostly centred around heart rate training. Lactate threshold, Vo2Max and a full body composition analysis where I get into a giant egg called a Bodpod.

Looking forward to the results. The guy is a HR training expert so it should be good.
                    Ever regret not taking this up when you were younger ?

I'd be interested in the heart results . That clip I sent a few posts back was interesting TED talk.

Comment

Ever regret not taking this up when you were younger ?

I'd be interested in the heart results . That clip I sent a few posts back was interesting TED talk.
                      Oh yeah, for sure. On the other hand I had a fair bit of unhealthy craic in my 20s that would have had to have been skipped

I'll let you know how it goes. Wasn't able to watch that clip, I'll check it out later.

Comment

Yeah I'm waiting for an opportune moment to watch the clip as well.

Comment

What was the like again Ole G?

Comment

4 posts or so back

Comment

Yeah, great idea. Nothing pencilled in myself yet this side July, will be in the market for a half in June. Will likely also do the Bob Heffernan 5k in May.

Would any of you fancy signing up for the race series? 10k in July, 10m in Aug and a half in Sep. Fantastic races with huge crowds.
                              Sorry forgot to reply to this, where would I find more info on the Race Series?

I had a quick google but didn't see a website.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                Yeah I'm waiting for an opportune moment to watch the clip as well.
                                The video seems to suggest that the running I've done since the start of the year is exactly the right kind of distances and speeds!

Which is great tbf because it's been most enjoyable.

Comment

Sorry forgot to reply to this, where would I find more info on the Race Series?

I had a quick google but didn't see a website.

Comment

I'll cross post my training log post about yesterday.

Comment

Had a really great consultation in The Beacon with a chap called Chris Simpson. Was over three hours with him in total. Awesome guy.

Started off with a great chat about my running history and his, he's a 2:50 marathoner, with a 32 min 10k and coaches now, mostly tri athletes, Ironman specifically.

First up was body composition, where I got into a Bodpod, one of only three in the country apparently. Great set up up there.

Body fat is 10.9% so no need to work on that.
                                      Body fat rating: Lean (Lower body fat levels than many people. This range is generally excellent for health and longevity) Thumbs up to that.

RMR (resting metabolic rate) is 1344 meaning I've to consume just shy of 2800 calories a day to avoid a deficit.

Weight is 57.37kg.

Next up COSMED treadmill Vo2 and AT test. Hooked up to a mask and monitor.
                                      According to the results I've got excellent VO2 numbers, not necessarily the max which is 51.7 but the VO2/kg at threshold. That's 45 which he says is excellent and shows I've really good potential, particularly at the marathon. He said his own AT number when he ran his 2:50 was about 35. Apparently the smaller the gap between it and your max the better. So that's good news.

I had guessed my AT HR to be around 150, it's 145.

He's given me 5 zones to work with based off that AT HR.

Z1 - <129
                                      Z2 - 130 - 139
                                      Z3 - 140 - 150
                                      Z4 - 151 - 160
                                      Z5 - >160

Will be running 80% in Zone 2 or less.

He's also offered to coach me on Training Peaks, with a 4 week free trial, but he wasn't in any way pushy about it, was almost embarrassed. Really got the feeling that he'd like to work with me. I'll have a good think about it.

He gave me a few things to look up, particularly a guy called Stephen Sailor who strongly advocates the 80/20 idea.

I really loved it and would strongly recommend it.

Comment

I was delighted with myself when I tipped the scales at 69.95kg yesterday

I'm also two inches shorter than you!

'Marathon' bit was throwing me off. I still can't see dates etc there, unless I'm being even more dense than usual I need to wait till Saturday for them to release details?

Comment

I was delighted with myself when I tipped the scales at 69.95kg yesterday

I'm also two inches shorter than you!

'Marathon' bit was throwing me off. I still can't see dates etc there, unless I'm being even more dense than usual I need to wait till Saturday for them to release details?
                                          Haven't found dates yet myself, seems we do need to wait until Sat. They're usually the 3rd week of the month. 22nd or thereabouts.

That's a fine weight man, I'm too skinny. Great for running but I think I'd prefer to be closer to your weight.

Comment

At 93-95 kgs I'm carrying nearly a full Lazare on my back when I'm running. Reading an excellent book at the moment. Would highly recommend it. NOT A DIET BOOK by James Smith.

When it comes to HR tests fitness tests . I'd recommend a full cardio mot by a actual cardiologists. Especially if considering longer distance running. There are very big risks. I realise I could drop dead myself but just putting it out there .

Comment

I'm not after putting down a great week with all the bad weather and whatnot and the HM training plan I'm doing with my Garmin was starting to get a bit antsy with me so I said I better get out and do the speed repeats it had planned for me yesterday with the weather looking a bit more clement.

It was my first time out on the road on my own since the first week of January when I did 5k in 25:17 (hard to believe, but I checked). Running with the better half has been very good in terms of keeping me at the slow end of my range and I've had very little in the way of twinges but you're missing the chance to let rip a bit as well.

Anyway, I started off with a bit of a warm-up and took off. I found myself between 4:00 & 4:30 per km on the speedy bits and was still around 5:00 in the breaks so I had it in my head I was game ball for the 25:00 5k. Unfortunately the way these training plan runs come up on the watch they add the warm up to your total time & distance so it's very hard to tell exactly how far or fast you've been in the main phase. I was busting a gut anyway (cleared 200 BPM at one stage as people have been pointing out with horror on Strava) and eventually started to slow down fairly sure in my own head I had it in the bag.

Get back, cool down, watch gives a happy beep to inform my of a new 5k PB - 25:14.

SPOILER

I'm pretty confident I have it in the bag now if I was to go out and pace it properly. The local ParkRun actually has pacers tomorrow so I might even try it then depending how I feel in the morning.
                                              Last edited by Keane; 14-02-20, 11:55.

Comment

At 93-95 kgs I'm carrying nearly a full Lazare on my back when I'm running. Reading an excellent book at the moment. Would highly recommend it. NOT A DIET BOOK by James Smith.

When it comes to HR tests fitness tests . I'd recommend a full cardio mot by a actual cardiologists. Especially if considering longer distance running. There are very big risks. I realise I could drop dead myself but just putting it out there .
                                                My wife is a doctor and all her cardiologist friends would ban marathons, they put too much strain on the heart for people, even fit ones who train.

I'm not after putting down a great week with all the bad weather and whatnot and the HM training plan I'm doing with my Garmin was starting to get a bit antsy with me so I said I better get out and do the speed repeats it had planned for me yesterday with the weather looking a bit more clement.

It was my first time out on the road on my own since the first week of January when I did 5k in 25:17 (hard to believe, but I checked). Running with the better half has been very good in terms of keeping me at the slow end of my range and I've had very little in the way of twinges but you're missing the chance to let rip a bit as well.

Anyway, I started off with a bit of a warm-up and took off. I found myself between 4:00 & 4:30 per km on the speedy bits and was still around 5:00 in the breaks so I had it in my head I was game ball for the 25:00 5k. Unfortunately the way these training plan runs come up on the watch they add the warm up to your total time & distance so it's very hard to tell exactly how far or fast you've been in the main phase. I was busting a gut anyway (cleared 200 BPM at one stage as people have been pointing out with horror on Strava) and eventually started to slow down fairly sure in my own head I had it in the bag.

Get back, cool down, watch gives a happy beep to inform my of a new 5k PB - 25:14.

SPOILER

I'm pretty confident I have it in the bag now if I was to go out and pace it properly. The local ParkRun actually has pacers tomorrow so I might even try it then depending how I feel in the morning.
                                                You can edit the start of the run on strava and it might bring it down!

Comment

You've an easy sub 25 5k in you based on that. Don't be worrying about pbs when you're training. Just concentrate on the workout, what it is you're trying to achieve with it.

You were hitting some nice paces there, those are the sort of speeds you'll be well able to sustain in a years time with good solid aerobic training. 22 min 5ks.

Comment

Joe, I know it's the 11th hour but are you heading to Corkagh tomorrow?

No biggie if you can't. That dobby lad is likely out on the piss again.

Comment

You've an easy sub 25 5k in you based on that. Don't be worrying about pbs when you're training. Just concentrate on the workout, what it is you're trying to achieve with it.

You were hitting some nice paces there, those are the sort of speeds you'll be well able to sustain in a years time with good solid aerobic training. 22 min 5ks.
                                                      Yeah that's a bit of an issue I have probably because I only get out on my own so rarely but I'm bad at keeping it slow when I'm on my own.

Tbf I'm just enjoying it as something I was never able to do before and it's been brilliant in the winter months. I tend to get very stuck into things the minute I start to make progress!

Comment

Ah yeah, it's great craic bursting yourself. I'm guilty of it myself some of the time, particularly at parkrun.

The important thing is knowing that you should run slow and knowing why I suppose. Too many people think eyeballs out all the time is how you get faster, go hard or go home. That's bollox.

Guy the other day was talking to me about the 80/20 principle and how aptly it applies to endurance training, be it cyclists, skiers or runners.

80% of your training needs to be aerobic, 20% anaerobic. The best in the world train this way.

For you with a max HR of 200 that prob means keeping your bpm a good bit <150 80% of the time. Pushing it up towards your max the other 20.

Most people spend far too much, if not all in that higher range.

All the adaptations required for good endurance happen in that 80%. You build power, strength and form in the 20%. Too much time in the higher range and you stagnate and plateau.

Of course enjoy yourself when you feel you're set free, you're likely naturally doing 80/20 by running with your gf most of the time anyway.
                                                        Last edited by Lazare; 14-02-20, 23:23.

Comment

Lol. Valentines night m8. Was up all night riding sure

Comment

You must have a sore fanny

Comment

Keano, the race series is open for booking. There's a 4 mile in May added to it this year. 4x races. €75 total which is great value.

Comment

Completely forgot about it! Started playing tennis on Saturday mornings at 10 so that’s going to make away fixtures at 9.30 tougher...

Comment

Looks like I might be signing up for the Cork half. May 31st which I think is a bank holiday Sunday.

If anyone fancies it.

Comment

Looks like I might be signing up for the Cork half. May 31st which I think is a bank holiday Sunday.

If anyone fancies it.
                                                                    This, along with all the Race Series (apart from the half-marathon) clashes with other things for me unfortunately. Cycling, weddings and vacations.

In more positive news I smashed through the 25 minute barrier yesterday Same issue (warm-up included on the watch) that caused me to miss the target by ~14 seconds the last time caused me to overshoot the landing considerably this time around and when I eventually finished my cool-down, stopped crying and ended the session the watch tells me I have a new record of 24:19 for 5k

I wish this weather would sort itself out so I could go back to running slow!

Comment

This, along with all the Race Series (apart from the half-marathon) clashes with other things for me unfortunately. Cycling, weddings and vacations.

In more positive news I smashed through the 25 minute barrier yesterday Same issue (warm-up included on the watch) that caused me to miss the target by ~14 seconds the last time caused me to overshoot the landing considerably this time around and when I eventually finished my cool-down, stopped crying and ended the session the watch tells me I have a new record of 24:19 for 5k

I wish this weather would sort itself out so I could go back to running slow!
                                                                      Good stuff, 22:30 the next barrier!

Comment

Nice one man, you certainly smashed it. That's all the slow stuff working for you.

Comment

If anyone fancies it.
                                                                          Think a half might be a bridge too far for me this year. I paid my football membership last week so will be going back to play that after the Dunloe 10k this weekend (provided I get knocked out of the poker lol). Wont be able to run Tuesday or Thursday cos of training and will just be sticking to a 10k max at weekends with 5k midweek.

Comment

Lazare ya fucking genius. Been going slower for longer to get the distance into the legs for this race at the weekend. Didnt really feel in form tonight but probably wont get a run in tomorrow or Saturday so just went for 5k and absolutely smashed by 25min target with a 24.09 run. Didnt plan it but put it in when I realised it was on after about 2.5k. Funny thing is, that's down from 28mins in January and I feel like I could go do it again. Lol. Buzzing here.

Comment

Anybody run in India? Heading to Pune and Bangalore next week. Will probably bring running gear despite advice from nurse not to this time as i won't get my rabies jab until next time (hastily arranged trip).

Staying in fancy work hotel so guessing the terrain and localities shouldn't be too bad.

Are violent mangy mutts that common?

Comment

Afternoon gents, getting married in a couple months and took up running in December and started using the Get Running app, I've just finished week 8 and moving onto the last bit of the running program where I'll be running for 30 minutes straight.

My missus and her friend had been running for awhile with the app so thought it was a good option for me to try and do it while I was away working and to get active. I'm glad I've been sticking with it and delighted that I'm able to do 28 minutes.

Surprisingly I've actually been enjoying the running and looking to keep pushing on with it. The majority of my running has been done in the gym on a treadmill and I've no doubt that running outside will be a totally different ball game.

Just looking to get some tips/advice as I'm finding my breathing a bit difficult to manage when I'm starting to push pass 15 minutes, what's the best way to increase my endurance and how to quicken my pace?

All help greatly appreciated
                                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I can't express strongly enough how much better running outside is.

When I started all I was doing was treadmill, I think I was afraid to get outside for whatever reason but having started running outside and been back on the treadmill a few times lately the treadmill is fucking cat. Seems to be way harder for the same pace also somehow.

If you're getting out of breath is there anything stopping you running a bit slower? The answer to a lot of things in running seems to be 'run slower'. A couple of us have gotten a lot faster lately mostly by running slowly.

Comment

I can't express strongly enough how much better running outside is.

When I started all I was doing was treadmill, I think I was afraid to get outside for whatever reason but having started running outside and been back on the treadmill a few times lately the treadmill is fucking cat. Seems to be way harder for the same pace also somehow.

If you're getting out of breath is there anything stopping you running a bit slower? The answer to a lot of things in running seems to be 'run slower'. A couple of us have gotten a lot faster lately mostly by running slowly.
                                                                                    I've only run outside once at that was at the start and since all my running as been done inside, I've a plan of transitioning to running outside when the weather gets better. My missus & her friend would run in the park in the mornings but they would skip it a majority of the time if the weather wasn't great so they joined the gym also which gives them more flexibility when it it comes to get their runs in.

When I was doing the earlier weeks I was running at a much faster speed as I was doing running/walking in between but since I've started running continuously I start running at 7.5 and push it up .1 every minute until about 8.5 and then lower it back down .1 until I reach 7.5 and work my way back up once again. I would slow myself down it I felt my legs were getting tired, I feel though my right side tends to feel a little more tight when I do so as my balance might tend to shift to that side.

I've been running at 6am and don't have anything to eat before running, any suggestions on what I should of if I should eat beforehand?
                                                                                    Last edited by tylerdurden94; 21-02-20, 16:39.
                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

@Dobby, that's fooking awesome man, delighted to read that.

@Danny, have a couple of nuggets of advice based on experience.

Breathing, practise using your diaphragm to breath. Breath in with your mouth, feel it in your abdomen. This allows for max oxygen intake. You'll also need to make sure your posture is good. Chin up, chest out. Imagine your wind pipe as a hose. Having your chin down effectively kinks the pipe, restricting oxygen.

My main advice to you though is to slow down. Forget about notching the treadmill up for a while. Right now all you want to do is train the aerobic system. That's what builds speed and endurance. Running too fast switches the aerobic system off.
                                                                                      You should be able to stop at any point and have a chat as if you were walking. It may seem ridiculous, you will feel like you're getting nowhere. Believe me though, you'll be getting stronger and stronger.

Do that until mid April until the weather gets good then get out on the roads. Sign up to parkrun.

The best endurance athletes in the world only run fast 20% of the time. 80% of their training is slow easy running, building their aerobic engine.

Delighted you've caught the bug.
                                                                                      Last edited by Lazare; 21-02-20, 19:14.

Comment

Also, don't bother eating before your run if you're running early morns. You've tons of fuel from the previous day. I run everything before work, never eat beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                          Just looking to get some tips/advice as I'm finding my breathing a bit difficult to manage when I'm starting to push pass 15 minutes, what's the best way to increase my endurance and how to quicken my pace?

Less scientific that Lazare but my tuppence worth would be after 8-10 mins cut your pace drastically and see if you can breakthrough the breathing issue.

Don't worry about pace right now. Minutes, endurance, keeping going - up to 30 mins - is an easily achievable goal based on your progress so far.

Thirty mins opens up a whole new world like park runs which could be the perfect way to transition to outside regularly.

Once you're outside you'll never want to go back inside.
                                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 21-02-20, 22:40.

Comment

Also, don't bother eating before your run if you're running early morns. You've tons of fuel from the previous day. I run everything before work, never eat beforehand.
                                                                                            Corkagh park for me tomorrow see you there

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                              Corkagh park for me tomorrow see you there

Nice one! See you there. I've a little over 14k to do so I'll try get there early to get a lump of it done.

See you around the start area about 9.15?

Comment

Hey, good to see another active member, what I find useful when I’ve just finished my 2km and HR is getting higher is to run what’s feels like the same pace but with long deep breaths, and that calms me down and effectively acclimatized me to the new normal of that HR. If it doesn’t get even slight better then you’re running too fast.

but they would skip it a majority of the time if the weather wasn't great so they joined the gym...

I've been running at 6am and don't have anything to eat before running, any suggestions on what I should of if I should eat beforehand?
                                                                                                Outside in the rain is great! The only weather I don’t like is very hot! Also agree with Laz, no need to before a run up to 10am I’d say. Drink a glass of water though.

Breathing, practise using your diaphragm to breath. Breath in with your mouth, feel it in your abdomen. This allows for max oxygen intake.
                                                                                                This sounds like what I do. By the way I’m happy to do more than the 5km, I’ll get on up to 10km you after, could do the course twice?

Comment

I've been running slow by default however I did my 1st sub 5 min K during the week (since the 90s) after 4 miserable kms. I was speaking Swahili afterwards. Probably a bad idea . I blame the music . Back to snailing it .

My mantra . Snail it to nail it. One for you Tyler

Comment

This will make you cry .

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Great stuff Joe, we'll do a couple of laps so.

Comment

Snail it to nail it.

Love it

Comment

Cheers Joe for the amazing chat. Really enjoyed that.

Comment

Fair play lads hopefully I can join ye sometime in the not too distant

Comment

Ah it was great, we went for a coffee and toastie afterwards, such an enjoyable time. Your name came up actually, I was telling Joe you were good craic. Definitely do it next time.

Comment

Don't believe a word of it Joe

Comment

How’d you do?
                                                                                                                  Ran it in 13:56!
                                                                                                                  Woohoo well done
                                                                                                                  No I was 15th...

Ah it was great, we went for a coffee and toastie afterwards, such an enjoyable time. Your name came up actually, I was telling Joe you were good craic. Definitely do it next time.
                                                                                                                  Yeah very enjoyable morning, one of the best in a while. We’ll stick the next one in the diary soon enough hopefully. Will be hard pressed to beat that brekkie though!

Comment

It’s funny I was contemplating between running slower with Laz to complement his training or have a bash at it, then he mentioned early hill so we comprised on around 5min Kms, but with the chats we were at 4K in 4:50s and made a leg for the line, did my fastest ever km at 3:45 albeit with a savage tailwind and a favorable incline!

Comment

Absolutely smashed the Gap Of Dunloe this morning. Ran that course in 57.02 on the 1st of February. So target was 57.xx today. Got a time of 51.45 and am absolutely buzzing.

Big thanks to Lazare for all the help and advice the last few months. And to the lads here who post tips and tricks. Wouldnt have known how to pace myself about 3 months ago and fot it absolutely spot on perfect today.

Now, time for a big dirty breakfast roll

Comment

Wahoo, delighra for you.

Mix those endorphins with a couple of pints for the ultimate drug

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                          Absolutely smashed the Gap Of Dunloe this morning. Ran that course in 57.02 on the 1st of February. So target was 57.xx today. Got a time of 51.45 and am absolutely buzzing.

Big thanks to Lazare for all the help and advice the last few months. And to the lads here who post tips and tricks. Wouldnt have known how to pace myself about 3 months ago and fot it absolutely spot on perfect today.

Now, time for a big dirty breakfast roll
                                                                                                                          Fair play that’s class. Sub 50 in no time!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X