No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had the Garmin Forerunner 225, now have the 235 - pretty good TBH and very useful for pacing firstly and tracking/recording your runs secondly. Often on sale at Amazon, stick a price alert up on HUKD and you'll find it for £130 within a few months, which would be a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      Any suggestions about what to do for this 10k? It's on the 13th of November so I suppose just get in a bunch of 5-10k easy runs in the next two weeks.
      Yeah pretty much. I would advise against trying to achieve a time, it's too close. Treat it as getting some race day experience and run it at about 70% effort.
      There's plenty of time to get into decent shape for a crack at the great Limerick.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I have the 735 and it's good for everything including triathlon. Few of my running friends do triathlons with the same one and it works a treat. 160£ on Amazon usually

10k in an hour. Try and negative split it even. Finish strong. Always nice when your last k or 2 is the fastest one
        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

So IPB assault on the 1/2 Marathon in Limerick. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
            Would definitely be up for that. Hotel in Limerick that night and a few pints

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
              Inski. Maybe Lazare and I can guitar wank in the residence bar . No Oasis now Laz.

Comment

I have whiskey and am willing to share.

Comment

Tell me more about these hats.

It's what you get instead of another shitty t shirt on finishing the Waterford half in early december. They are very practical and they do a different colour combo every year so it's kind of cool building up a collection.
                  Myself and some friends have done it four times. It's a very well run event a proper club fundraiser. The course is ok except for a bit of poor surface and an absolute bitch of a hill at about 18K.

We are signed up for it again this year but I'm really struggling with running and making myself a 9/2 shot to be able to finish it Hoping to get to the start, if I can jog as far as that hill I'll walk up it and try to make it to the line.

spoilered for hugeness
                  SPOILER

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I had to reset that password Keane because the download is an awful format. Will send on today.

Make the pints in Waterford sure and we can all get some SP like hats. I'll start training today

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      http://www.waterfordachalf.com/

It's what you get instead of another shitty t shirt on finishing the Waterford half in early december. They are very practical and they do a different colour combo every year so it's kind of cool building up a collection.
                      Myself and some friends have done it four times. It's a very well run event a proper club fundraiser. The course is ok except for a bit of poor surface and an absolute bitch of a hill at about 18K.

We are signed up for it again this year but I'm really struggling with running and making myself a 9/2 shot to be able to finish it Hoping to get to the start, if I can jog as far as that hill I'll walk up it and try to make it to the line.
                      That hat looks class tbf, might be a bit of a stretch for me to go from 0km to 21km by early December though!

I actually got out for a run on my own yesterday for the first time since Barcelona and knocked a minute off the time I did there, so new PB of 26'55". I had the phone with me so had Strava telling me my pace every 500m. I thought that would help me slow down but I might have known it would be the opposite - 'if I pick up X seconds this km I'll finish in Y minutes'. So I think it will be a good benefit to run with herself most of the time to slow me down.

I might try and do something approaching 10k one of the easy days next week and see how I'm fixed.

Comment

That hat looks class tbf, might be a bit of a stretch for me to go from 0km to 21km by early December though!

I actually got out for a run on my own yesterday for the first time since Barcelona and knocked a minute off the time I did there, so new PB of 26'55". I had the phone with me so had Strava telling me my pace every 500m. I thought that would help me slow down but I might have known it would be the opposite - 'if I pick up X seconds this km I'll finish in Y minutes'. So I think it will be a good benefit to run with herself most of the time to slow me down.

I might try and do something approaching 10k one of the easy days next week and see how I'm fixed.
                        How do you get strava to talk to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                          How do you get strava to talk to you?
                          Record > Settings > Audio Cues > Announcements

Comment

I've signed up for the Waterford half too so I'll see ye there. Few pints that night too. Workin the next morning at 7am

Won't be doing much for November tbh in prep for the half. A week off after the marathon and then Bahamas for Partypoker will set me back a good bit. Will get through it though

Comment

When is it?

Comment

Post race pints are the absolute best pints btw.

Alcohol and endorphins is a glorious mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  When is it?
                                  Great Limerick Run is 3rd of May

Comment

Got my number in the RDS there now and we have 60+ rooms booked out in the Maldron in Tallaght so we're all going for dinner now.

A sour thing about it is they won't leave me move up wave and flat out lied about it. When I first registered I put 4hrs for finishing time which puts you in wave 3. Now I'm aiming for 3.50 and after the struggles of overtaking in the half marathon a few weeks ago I wanted to start in wave 2 with most of my training buddies. Girl at help desk said they were not allowing anyone do it, however one of my other training buds got his changed like 5 mins after. Never even gave me a chance which is absolutely ridiculous 😡

I was never going to follow the pacers anyway and people start so slowly it's actually so annoying.

Comment

Best of luck Switch.

Have you got a pace strategy?

Please don't let congestion at the start annoy you, and don't waste energy weaving. It's supposed to be a slow start. Plenty of time to make it up.

Comment

Do the first half at 9 min miles or just below and keep it going until after heartbreak hill at mile 22 and then kick on if I feel grand to maybe 8.30s.I've negative split most races and would like to do it this time but it's hard to gauge because you never do 26miles in training

The Dublin half was my first "wave" race and it was a disaster with people who started in our wave and obviously we're much slower.

Comment

Do the first half at 9 min miles or just below and keep it going until after heartbreak hill at mile 22 and then kick on if I feel grand to maybe 8.30s.I've negative split most races and would like to do it this time but it's hard to gauge because you never do 26miles in training

The Dublin half was my first "wave" race and it was a disaster with people who started in our wave and obviously we're much slower.
                                          Good luck Switcharoo.

What Laz said, there will be many many miles to make progress, you don't even need to think about it for the first few, just soak up the atmosphere and get carried along with the crowd.

Get loose and into a nice rhythm. I always prefer to be overtaking the further I go than getting overtaken (not that that happens much these days )

I'll be at the Costa on the Drimnagh Road cheering yis all on with the wife and wee fella.

Comment

Good luck.
                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 27-10-19, 08:26.

Comment

Err. what those lads said .

Comment

Good plan. I'll add to that to take it v easy going up the early hills, after Myos and Knockmaroon hill. Those hills will feel easy. Drop the pace going up them though.

The first half is all about conservation. Those hills have the ability to end your race, you just don't find out about it until Milltown.

There's some lovely downhill miles in the second half where you can more than make up for it.

I know a 2:32 guy who practically walks up Knockmaroon.

Comment

Lot of hills in Waterford so we trained on them so that'll stand to us. I'll have another look at the run through of the course. That's another reason why I wanted wave 2. My training bud is super super disciplined with pace and prep. He'll have every hill learned and always has an eye on the watch. I would never be that organised😅

Comment

Get in there Switch. You ran a fantastic race. Looked strong every time I saw you.

Looking forward to the report.

Comment

Got 3:52 on the button today, was very happy with that in the end as was 6min PB. Was aiming for a sub 3:40 when I started training 18 weeks ago but the last 4 weeks were a disaster as I was travelling with work for a week and got no training in and when I came home the whole house was sick and I picked it up as well and didn't think I'd actually make the line today at all.

Short runs for a while now, and also trying to figure out if I will sign up for next year!!

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                        Got 3:52 on the button today, was very happy with that in the end as was 6min PB. Was aiming for a sub 3:40 when I started training 18 weeks ago but the last 4 weeks were a disaster as I was travelling with work for a week and got no training in and when I came home the whole house was sick and I picked it up as well and didn't think I'd actually make the line today at all.

Short runs for a while now, and also trying to figure out if I will sign up for next year!!
                                                        Fantastic Paraic, what a run. Delighted for you. Enjoy those endorphins

Comment

That truly was the most insane day. Lazare you really are a legend. 3 times I saw him over the course all kitted out. You just ran around it? The crowds really are something else and pull you through anything.

I finished in 3.56 which was around what I wanted. It's all about ranges in poker and I had between 3.50 and 4 in mind. 3.50 would be the perfect one and 4 and over would be a struggle.

6 pints deep and on the bus back to Waterford sipping on cans with a lot of happy runners with PB's all over. Trip report tomorrow!

Comment

That truly was the most insane day. Lazare you really are a legend. 3 times I saw him over the course all kitted out. You just ran around it? The crowds really are something else and pull you through anything.

I finished in 3.56 which was around what I wanted. It's all about ranges in poker and I had between 3.50 and 4 in mind. 3.50 would be the perfect one and 4 and over would be a struggle.

6 pints deep and on the bus back to Waterford sipping on cans with a lot of happy runners with PB's all over. Trip report tomorrow!
                                                            You're the legend man. Cracking sub 4. You nailed it.

I ran from James' luas stop to meet a buddy at the beggining of Chesterfield (mile 4). We stayed there a while then ran to the 20k mat. A while there before running down the canal to Ballsbridge to mile 25.
                                                            All in was less than 10k.
                                                            Was great fun, the tracker was great. Mad seeing the same people at each stage and the changes in them. Had FOMO at mile 4, not so much after that

Comment

Well done lads, great stuff

I had between 3.50 and 4 in mind. 3.50 would be the perfect one and 4 and over would be a struggle.
                                                              One lad I run with who has a couple of 4:20's under his belt went out yesterday with a plan to match it, was slipping just a little bit below pace at 30K and ended up crossing the line in 5:30

Comment

Well done lads, great stuff

One lad I run with who has a couple of 4:20's under his belt went out yesterday with a plan to match it, was slipping just a little bit below pace at 30K and ended up crossing the line in 5:30
                                                                That’s a long time on your feet!

Comment

That’s a long time on your feet!
                                                                  When you hit that wall at Milltown it's a long long painful 6 miles to put you out of your misery.

It's the reason I skipped it this year.

Comment

Record > Settings > Audio Cues > Announcements
                                                                    Game changer, best my best 1km split on Friday as a result.

Comment

Signed up for DCM 2020 at the weekend and have made the decision to switch to half marathon training from Dec until April or May.

Might be up for this.

Comment

Signed up for DCM 2020 at the weekend and have made the decision to switch to half marathon training from Dec until April or May.

Might be up for this.
                                                                        How would that differ for you? Lots of slow 10k+ runs?

Comment

How would that differ for you? Lots of slow 10k+ runs?
                                                                          Just in terms of the workouts, the mileage is similar, although I am looking to increase it.

Instead of intervals at 5k pace I'll be doing a lot of lactate threshold running, tempo running. Usually about 20 to 25 secs per km slower than 5k pace.

Comment

New research shows any amount of running is good for you.

Comment

Just in terms of the workouts, the mileage is similar, although I am looking to increase it.

Instead of intervals at 5k pace I'll be doing a lot of lactate threshold running, tempo running. Usually about 20 to 25 secs per km slower than 5k pace.
                                                                              If race pace is 4min/km then what is tempo and what is lactate threshold?

Comment

If race pace is 4min/km then what is tempo and what is lactate threshold?
                                                                                In and around 4:22.

Tempo and LT are basically the same thing.

I've been in touch with the Beacon sports clinic after hearing those ads on the radio. They do a number of tests but the most interesting one is an accurate lactate threshold test.

I think I'm going to do it and also switch to heart rate training. I think you can train better using HR, particularly threshold running. Your threshold heart rate is a constant whereas using pace will always require a bit of guessing, and getting it wrong. Could be 4:22 today and 4:30 tomorrow.

Doing a 20 min tempo and doing it too quick/slow is basically a waste of time, in terms of that workout.

Comment

In and around 4:22.

Tempo and LT are basically the same thing.

I've been in touch with the Beacon sports clinic after hearing those ads on the radio. They do a number of tests but the most interesting one is an accurate lactate threshold test.

I think I'm going to do it and also switch to heart rate training. I think you can train better using HR, particularly threshold running. Your threshold heart rate is a constant whereas using pace will always require a bit of guessing, and getting it wrong. Could be 4:22 today and 4:30 tomorrow.

Doing a 20 min tempo and doing it too quick/slow is basically a waste of time, in terms of that workout.
                                                                                  One thing I’ve noticed about training every day is how different you fell on the first few steps of a run. Some days you want to smash the lights out on a slow run and other days your so glad it’s a slow one and you work through it. Hard to pick pace as a barometer, will be interested to hear how your beacon trip goes, sounds interesting.

Comment

One thing I’ve noticed about training every day is how different you fell on the first few steps of a run. Some days you want to smash the lights out on a slow run and other days your so glad it’s a slow one and you work through it. Hard to pick pace as a barometer, will be interested to hear how your beacon trip goes, sounds interesting.
                                                                                    That's the thing with pace as a guide. Some days a certain pace feels easy, the next day it's tough. So many factors contribute to that, what you ate, how you slept, how stressful a day you had.

It's all about effort really. Am guilty of ignoring it myself. If the plan for the day is an easy run, it's easy effort, regardless of the pace. Today that might be 5:50km, tomorrow it might be 5:30.

That's where heart rate training becomes really effective, you ignore pace and concentrate on effort.

Comment

That's the thing with pace as a guide. Some days a certain pace feels easy, the next day it's tough. So many factors contribute to that, what you ate, how you slept, how stressful a day you had.

It's all about effort really. Am guilty of ignoring it myself. If the plan for the day is an easy run, it's easy effort, regardless of the pace. Today that might be 5:50km, tomorrow it might be 5:30.

That's where heart rate training becomes really effective, you ignore pace and concentrate on effort.
                                                                                      Must get a HRM and try to track it.

Comment

This exactly. Some days it just feels so hard with the first few km and some days it feels so easy. Can even be on days where the kids have slept well and ill feel super laggy when running a long one. I do find that after about 6-8km I kind of forget how my body feels and by then it makes no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Irisheman View Post
                                                                                          This exactly. Some days it just feels so hard with the first few km and some days it feels so easy. Can even be on days where the kids have slept well and ill feel super laggy when running a long one. I do find that after about 6-8km I kind of forget how my body feels and by then it makes no difference.
                                                                                          Very true for me too, often find over longer distance runs that 7km is the turning point to a more meditative state!

Comment

Agreed with this a lot.
                                                                                            Getting 3 cardio sessions in per week. For the easy session, I typically go with the bike, set it to 150bpm and pedal away. The bikes adjusts resistance up and down to keep HR the same. Some days the resistance is level for a long while, other days it's steady downward slide to stop HR increasing.

Tend towards the rower or bag for medium/harder pieces.
                                                                                            Tried a medium on the SkiErg today. Fuck that's a horrible pieces of kit, was dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Tried a medium on the SkiErg today. Fuck that's a horrible pieces of kit, was dying.
                                                                                              Have you come across a Versaclimber yet? It's been around years, the proper machine is very expensive but it didnt really take off.
                                                                                              However its regained popularity in the past few years as LeBron James uses it as his cardio machine.
                                                                                              I tried one in a gym in San Jose and it is the most difficult machine I've ever tried to use.
                                                                                              It's far more difficult than an Assault Bike or anything else.
                                                                                              If you haven't used it and come across one, definitely give it a try.

Comment

There's one in my gym. It's pretty old, so probably original. I've used it once or twice, but not often.
                                                                                                I've heard people describe it as really difficult before. But I don't understand why tbh.
                                                                                                Did you have it on the hardest setting or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  There's one in my gym. It's pretty old, so probably original. I've used it once or twice, but not often.
                                                                                                  I've heard people describe it as really difficult before. But I don't understand why tbh.
                                                                                                  Did you have it on the hardest setting or something?
                                                                                                  I cant remember the setting, I just tried it and found it very difficult. Perhaps an element of preemptively knowing the opinions of others as you said.

The primary difference was far more pressure on my lower back which I found quite difficult.
                                                                                                  I know your mobility is very good so maybe that contributes but maintaining a very straight posture was something I wasnt accustomed to doing.

Comment

I asked for more Versaclimbers they said they didn't have any more.

Comment

I have that 10k run this evening. I did one a couple of weekends ago in a slow but comfortable 1:06, so should be fairly ok.

My only concern is I went out for a run planning to do ~8k at the weekend and had to pull up after about 6.5k as my right knee started to hurt a good bit. It was fine the following day, but hopefully this is not going to be something persistent.

Any advice for today in terms of eating etc? Start time is 8pm. I've decided to have no goals or targets beyond finishing comfortably and enjoying myself anyway!

Comment

I have that 10k run this evening. I did one a couple of weekends ago in a slow but comfortable 1:06, so should be fairly ok.

My only concern is I went out for a run planning to do ~8k at the weekend and had to pull up after about 6.5k as my right knee started to hurt a good bit. It was fine the following day, but hopefully this is not going to be something persistent.

Any advice for today in terms of eating etc? Start time is 8pm. I've decided to have no goals or targets beyond finishing comfortably and enjoying myself anyway!
                                                                                                        Are you doing it in Dublin tonight? I'll be doing the same at a similar sort of pace... weather forecast looks awful

I'll eat a big lunch between 2 and 3 and then just water and fruit between then the run maybe a banana just before I set off.

Comment

Sometimes if you are sitting for a great deal of the day, your back can go a bit sore n stiff and your spine needs some stretching. Also the glutes can also suffer from prolonged sitting. It’s quite possible there is no injury to your knee. Perhaps do some stretching a few hours before your run (not directly before) gentle stuff. For 10k you don’t necessarily have to worry about carbs etc so much. Just don’t eat too soon beforehand or the 1st 5k will be tough. If going for the hour, slow and steady at the start and enjoy the rest of the run . I’d only load up on pasta if it were a big run , Take a nap beforehand if possible? Speaking purely from experience here.

Did the rememberance 5k the weekend and more or less was jogging on the spot in order to enjoy the event as opposed to trying to hit a time. Took about 29 minutes but hardly broke a sweat or pushed in any way. This is a major improvement from a few months ago where I was doing some better times but suffering too much. I won’t be trying to improve my 5k times for a while yet. I ran a few ½ ks last night in 4.30ish mins last night and could feel every kilo of my weight after each set. I can’t move this frame any faster just yet without injury/consequences. One thing I do find difficult in this cold is the breathing. I hate the cold air in the lungs, it’s tres annoying and mentally irritates

Comment

Are you doing it in Dublin tonight? I'll be doing the same at a similar sort of pace... weather forecast looks awful

I'll eat a big lunch between 2 and 3 and then just water and fruit between then the run maybe a banana just before I set off.
                                                                                                            No I'm doing the Limerick incarnation. It will be a while before I'll be travelling anywhere to do a run I'd say! A big lunch sounds like the right job.

Sometimes if you are sitting for a great deal of the day, your back can go a bit sore n stiff and your spine needs some stretching. Also the glutes can also suffer from prolonged sitting. It’s quite possible there is no injury to your knee. Perhaps do some stretching a few hours before your run (not directly before) gentle stuff. For 10k you don’t necessarily have to worry about carbs etc so much. Just don’t eat too soon beforehand or the 1st 5k will be tough. If going for the hour, slow and steady at the start and enjoy the rest of the run . I’d only load up on pasta if it were a big run , Take a nap beforehand if possible? Speaking purely from experience here.

Did the rememberance 5k the weekend and more or less was jogging on the spot in order to enjoy the event as opposed to trying to hit a time. Took about 29 minutes but hardly broke a sweat or pushed in any way. This is a major improvement from a few months ago where I was doing some better times but suffering too much. I won’t be trying to improve my 5k times for a while yet. I ran a few ½ ks last night in 4.30ish mins last night and could feel every kilo of my weight after each set. I can’t move this frame any faster just yet without injury/consequences. One thing I do find difficult in this cold is the breathing. I hate the cold air in the lungs, it’s tres annoying and mentally irritates
                                                                                                            Thanks for the advice. The knee pain is something I had to a lesser extent the first couple of times I went doing 5k, but it completely disappeared after a few runs. It would typically come on just after the 5k mark. This run at the weekend was my first in about ten days, and flared up again just around 5k so you could be onto something that it could just be an inactivity thing.

I'll try and gently stretch this afternoon and might try going for a bit of a stroll as well, although the weather is foul here.

Comment

Ok in case anyone would be waiting with bated breath to see how I got on, it was too wet and miserable so we decided to wheel it

Weather looks a bit more promising tomorrow so I'll get out for a pootle around then instead. I'm willing to accept all the scorn I get here as I'm undoubtedly due it!

Comment

Ok in case anyone would be waiting with bated breath to see how I got on, it was too wet and miserable so we decided to wheel it

Weather looks a bit more promising tomorrow so I'll get out for a pootle around then instead. I'm willing to accept all the scorn I get here as I'm undoubtedly due it!
                                                                                                                Absolute soft cunt. Hand in your Kerry membership on the way out. Ffs. Perfect running weather this evening. So much so, I got a short run in before training tonight. Always knew the townies were a soft touch.

Comment

I deserve that.

Comment

Wasn't as bad as it could have been in Dublin. Worst part was that it didn't start on time so there was more than a half hour standing around in the cold and it rained again just before the start. Once we got going it was grand then just in the last k there was a very heavy shower. That was ok then but would have been a disaster an hour earlier.
                                                                                                                    I was focused on running slow and managed that fine for 8 and picked up a little bit more than I wanted to at a the end. Whether or not I'll be able to finish a half in a few weeks is still an unknown.

Comment

I was beaten up bad after a trail race nearly 3 weeks ago. Went to acupunterist who fed me some shit about hip misalignment & a weak hamstring that was rebuffed by a chiropracter. Turns out it's sciatica and has improved dramatically in a few days with proper guidance. It's a good eye opener as I knew I was putting my body through unnecessary pain and will hopefully make me more responsible when I do get back training and just in general in terms of sitting/standing posture which I apparently suck at. I'd echo Solksjaer's sentiment Keane and make sure you're stretching enough to support the training.

Comment

I did my 10k tonight anyway, the knee felt fine until about 1500m to go. I think it seems to flare up and ease off with increasing and decreasing speed - so another underlining of the need to go nice and slow.

Knocked a few minutes off my previous (only) time so happy enough.

I'm was fucking perished though, upper body particularly. Can anyone recommend a base layer they are happy enough with in these kind of conditions, or general advice about dressing for the elements this time of year? I'd like to feel less dependent on the weather if there's gear options that might be of help.

Comment

Dont like base layers myself. I usually wear some kind of soccer/gaa jersey, a hoodie/jumper and a light windbrealer over that so it keeps everything compact. My favourite piece of kit in the cold or rain is my woolly hat.

Doing a quick 2 minute warm up before hand I find helps too. Just some jogging on the spot, stretch quads, calves and hamstrings, all while moving. 90 seconds to 2 minutes is plenty. Gets the blood flowing and should stay warm on the run then.

Fair fucks, 10k is a fair whack. Haven't gone over 6k myself.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X