Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a disaster here.

Had pain develop on the bend of my foot a few weeks back, physio told me to rest it for a few days and gave me some strenght and conditioning stuff to do to build up the glutes.

That was fine, worked well.

Ran a 14 mile session in Spain last Wed week and felt a twinge of it afterwards. Ran 5 miles easy the next day and it felt grand. Swelled up the next day though. Iced it and decided to rest up. Rested for a week, tried to run 6 miles last Wed and I felt the beginnings of it so abandoned after a mile.

Went out this morning to attempt 20 miles but had to bail after 8 as it got too painful.

I think now if I'm to make it to the start line, nevermind the finish line I'm going to have to rest up until then. I'll test it out next week with a light jog but the hard running and the big mileage has to stop.

I missed a couple of key sessions which puts the A goal into a bit of doubt, but the hard work is done now other than that. I'm a week away from taper anyway so if the rest heals up whatever it is I should be able to still put in a performance that I can be happy with.

Going to do some aquarunning, a bit of cycling and keep up the S&C, so fingers crossed.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In a very similar position, had hopes of sub 3:45 a few weeks ago as I was running well but have only done 2 runs in the last 2 weeks due to achillies tendon pains in my left foot and also both my hamstrings especially my left where in a bad way for last few weeks.

Also went to physio and just told to rest it and take it easy. Done 12km yesterday and felt OK so gonna try 21km today and see how I feel. I was on 30km 3 weeks ago today and ran it very well, on target for the 3:45 but I've not ran over 12km since.

Good luck with the recovery, there will always be another one to to and this year's training will stand to us anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
        In a very similar position, had hopes of sub 3:45 a few weeks ago as I was running well but have only done 2 runs in the last 2 weeks due to achillies tendon pains in my left foot and also both my hamstrings especially my left where in a bad way for last few weeks.

Also went to physio and just told to rest it and take it easy. Done 12km yesterday and felt OK so gonna try 21km today and see how I feel. I was on 30km 3 weeks ago today and ran it very well, on target for the 3:45 but I've not ran over 12km since.

Good luck with the recovery, there will always be another one to to and this year's training will stand to us anyway.
        Cheers Pauric. Best of luck yourself. You should be safe for your target with a good bit of rest, the hard work is done. Pretty much taper time now.

Sending a donation your way btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          Cheers Pauric. Best of luck yourself. You should be safe for your target with a good bit of rest, the hard work is done. Pretty much taper time now.

Sending a donation your way btw.
          Thanks a million for that.

I've no aspersions now for 3:45 or even sub 4. I'll just be happy to finish it. If I wasn't doing it for charity I'd probably have pulled out!!

Comment

Thanks a million for that.

I've no aspersions now for 3:45 or even sub 4. I'll just be happy to finish it. If I wasn't doing it for charity I'd probably have pulled out!!
            You'll be surprised what a couple of weeks rest will do. You won't lose any fitness. Eat well, hydrate and sleep well and you'll do it.

Comment

Fully rested until this morn.

Planned 12 easy miles. Knew it was a decider, if it was pain free I'm good to go, if not it was game over, would have had no choice but to pull out.

Totally pain free thankfully. So relieved. Game on.

Comment

Targetting 3:39:xx tomorrow.

Planning a negative split of 1:51x/1:48x

Hopefully I can pull it off.

Bib no. 6516 if anyone fancies tracking.

Comment

Targetting 3:39:xx tomorrow.

Planning a negative split of 1:51x/1:48x

Hopefully I can pull it off.

Bib no. 6516 if anyone fancies tracking.
                  Best of luck tomorrow! Will be cheering for you, either in person somewhere or will be tracking you online

Comment

Good luck Conor . Don't get too emotionally involved if injury shows it's head. Other races

3.39 will be smashed I bet

Comment

Thanks lads, all set now.

Believe.

Comment

GL Laz

3:37:5x imo

Comment

Disaster. Calf popped at 20. Last 6 miles were absolute torture. Had to be carried down the last mile.

I'm ok with it, knew I was gambling.

Was on target up until mile 14 or so but readjusted it then to 3:43. That seemed on the cards until Milltown.

Limped home from there, promised my 4 year old a medal. Got home. In agony.

Endorphins are still sizzling though.

Thanks for the support guys.

Comment

Disaster. Calf popped at 20. Last 6 miles were absolute torture. Had to be carried down the last mile.

I'm ok with it, knew I was gambling.

Was on target up until mile 14 or so but readjusted it then to 3:43. That seemed on the cards until Milltown.

Limped home from there, promised my 4 year old a medal. Got home. In agony.

Endorphins are still sizzling though.

Thanks for the support guys.
                            It was me who shouted at you just at the turn of Nutley Lane, it's a very fine line, keep the head up and find another one somewhere nice in the Spring time.

Was great support out there again this year, I love coming up Castleknock, also came into some town, think it might have been near Crumlin where they were playing born to run by Bruce, it gave me a great lift.

I've just announced to my wife I'm doing it next year again!!

Comment

It was me who shouted at you just at the turn of Nutley Lane, it's a very fine line, keep the head up and find another one somewhere nice in the Spring time.

Was great support out there again this year, I love coming up Castleknock, also came into some town, think it might have been near Crumlin where they were playing born to run by Bruce, it gave me a great lift.

I've just announced to my wife I'm doing it next year again!!
                              Ah sorry man that I didn't cop it was you.

Saw Lao Lao out there, he gave me a great shout.

How did you do?

Comment

Ah sorry man that I didn't cop it was you.

Saw Lao Lao out there, he gave me a great shout.

How did you do?
                                I got 3:57:58, around a 2min PB, very happy as I wasn't sure how it would go. I started out pretty fast, around 30km I wouldn't have been far off 3:50 but had to walk a few times from that point on for 1-2mins each time but probably stopped me from blowing up as well.

Gonna do the 5km remembrance run in 2 weeks and the jingle bells 5km as well to finish out the year

Comment

Brilliant stuff Pauric, so happy for you.

Comment

Unlucky Lad. Once I heard calf I knew it would be a struggle . Takes 6 weeks to get those muscles behaving again. You've done the work . London ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                      Unlucky Lad. Once I heard calf I knew it would be a struggle . Takes 6 weeks to get those muscles behaving again. You've done the work . London ?
                                      No Willie, I think I'm going to focus on short stuff next year, 5k, 5m and 10k. Maybe do the series.

Want to get a sub 20 5k.

May change my mind down the road but right now my thinking is skipping the marathon next year.

Comment

No Willie, I think I'm going to focus on short stuff next year, 5k, 5m and 10k. Maybe do the series.

Want to get a sub 20 5k.

May change my mind down the road but right now my thinking is skipping the marathon next year.
                                        I'm also on the sub 20 train now, my fastest ever was 20:45 about 5 years ago but don't try them often. Will try and do as many parkruns as I can now for the rest of the year and speedwork during the week. My fastest this year was 22:11 so I would hope to get below 21mins before the end of the year and start next year working hard at it.

From the marathon pace guides, if you can do a sub 20 5km, you should also be able to do a 3:25 marathon so I'd say it would be extremely worth doing these over the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                          2018 targets.

600K total.
                                          sub 25m 5K.
                                          Through 600K last weekend so comfortably met that target.

Didn't get to bed til 2am this morning so didn't bother setting my alarm. But annoyingly awoke at 8am and at 8.30 decided might as well get out and do parkrun.

Had planned on doing a 'balls to the wall' run sometime as an experiment - sprint the first 300M, keep as fast a run as possible for the first lap (2.5) and then stagger home at a jog the last lap. Today seemed as good a time as any to try.
                                          Its a tough way to run, utterly bolloxed the final K and came close to stopping but got there. Hadn't brought a watch so was time-blind all the way but felt it'd be close as the right people were in front of me.

25:08. New PB by 20sec but was actually a bit sick when I saw the result. Happy now thinking about it, a pb is always good after all. 2 more chances on the 15th and 29th to get sub 25 done.

Comment

Ooh, so close AJ.

On the 15th try it from 1k in. Run easy until you hit 1k then balls to the wall as long as you can last.

Get an early sober night on Fri the 14th. Get down there 30 mins earlier than normal and jog the course, get yourself fully warmed up. Time it well so you're not standing around more than five minutes before the off.

You'll smash it then.

Comment

I'm also on the sub 20 train now, my fastest ever was 20:45 about 5 years ago but don't try them often. Will try and do as many parkruns as I can now for the rest of the year and speedwork during the week. My fastest this year was 22:11 so I would hope to get below 21mins before the end of the year and start next year working hard at it.

From the marathon pace guides, if you can do a sub 20 5km, you should also be able to do a 3:25 marathon so I'd say it would be extremely worth doing these over the winter.
                                              Hey man, have only seen your post now. Did the Jingle Bells 5k today in the PP. It's a really fast course, a confidence booster.

Ran it in 20:53, a nice big pb. Project sub 20 is on.

I'm gonna start some 5k specific stuff soon, from next week. Work up to 5x 1k reps, some tempo stuff and some speed work.

The most effective stuff apparently are the Vo2max workouts, interval reps. 1k at 20 min pace with jog recovery. Gonna also try keep the mileage up with plenty of easy running.

Confident of doing it after today.

Comment

I managed my best 5k time of the year yesterday in Marlay parkrun - 20:11. Did 20:14 last week in Poppintree (bit of parkrun tourism), so I guess yesterday's time shouldn't be a big surprise but the truth is I'm doing almost zero outdoor running at present other than parkruns (too cold/windy/rainy during the week!) and have a small belly going on at present so the faster times are a little bit curious.

Marlay isn't the fastest course, so I'm guessing I could definitely match my best ever 5k, 20:09, if I return to Shanganagh or one of the other fast ones. The sub-20 dream lives on!

Comment

I've rediscovered a love of running again the past few weeks & logging some decent times, not sure what my PBs are for these distances but I'd be confident I'm running them close: 44:59 10km & 1:37:23 half. And despite my usual internal anti-marathon rhetoric I've signed up for one in May!

Comment

Well that's another running year done. Just over seven miles around the marshy country roads of my homeplace near Lough Neagh in south Derry bringing the total to about 1,003 km for 2018

It was a lovely run in mild weather with a silvery grey sky mirroring the calm waters of Lough Beg and the flat bog land only occasionally giving way to rolling drumlins framed by endless miles of barren, harsh hedgerow. (some pics/vids here)

I even encountered two unseasonal groups of midges clearly confused by the mild weather!

Anyway as far as my 2018 goals went i didn't do a personal best (mostly just got slower) and didn't lose any weight (well, i did but put it back on again) so the distance and consistency were the only things i achieved.

2019 will shape up to be a different beast i think. I start a new job in January and there's no shower in work so out go the lunchtime 10kms to be replaced with 10km runs home through Dublin city but detouring though Phoenix Park (so will still have my cornerstone 1,000Km challenge to keep me anchored).

The main change will be joining Sport and Fitness Markievicz primarily to allow me to do some pre-work or lunchtime fitness activity a couple of times a week and have a shower.

No idea how that will pan out (never joined a gym before) but i'd imagine it will involve some weight lifting and maybe a bit of swimming (but i might have to build up to the latter as i don't especially like the water).

Will get an assessment done in late Jan and a programme built out of that. Broadly speaking the goals would be to improve core strength and flexibility but am open to suggestion. If anyone has any novice tips i'm all ears.

I hope your 2018 running year was good and good luck in 2019 whatever your personal goals.
                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 29-12-18, 16:06.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                      2018 targets.

600K total.
                                                      sub 25m 5K.
                                                      run a 10K.
                                                      do some 'sprinting' for variety purposes.
                                                      drop a dress size or two.
                                                      675K so happy with that. Had only one minor 7-day hamstring stoppage and a few runs lost to snow so all in all it was as clear a year as I could have hoped for.

25:08 in early December remained the best 5K. Not overly bothered, I consistently improved month on month from 27:30 at the start so will get there.

Four 10Ks done, I kinda stopped them when I reached my 54 min target.

Sprinting never really happened.

Definite improvement but nothing major - in the 36-38 waist range now from 38-40 at the start of year. I guess it bodes well that I still have weight to lose and hopefully if I do that will lead to better running.

2019 targets.
                                                      730K (2K a day average).
                                                      24:00 5K.
                                                      More 10Ks, some 12Ks and one 15K.
                                                      do some 'sprinting' for variety purposes.
                                                      Continue to lose the belly.

Comment

Any of ye seen that 100 mile challenge in February for the Mater hospital?
                                                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

...This is it...Looks like a great challenge for people...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                            https://www.materfoundation.ie/event/100-miles/

...This is it...Looks like a great challenge for people...
                                                            Definitely a decent challenge. Toughest month to do it (for me at least) is probably August with the warm weather, holidays etc... i'd have to double my average monthly milage and I think i generally run less in August than any other month of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                              Definitely a decent challenge. Toughest month to do it (for me at least) is probably August with the warm weather, holidays etc... i'd have to double my average monthly milage and I think i generally run less in August than any other month of the year.
                                                              ...It's probably the only month I'd have no chance of doing it, as 2 holidays in February... Will definitely be checking into this Thread more often in 2019...

Comment

Finishing the year on:

- 399.3km ran outside (compared to 294.5km in 2017, according to Strava), probably at least another 100km on the treadmill
                                                                - 72 separate runs
                                                                - 31 hours
                                                                - Fastest 5km time: 20:11 in Marlay parkrun a few weeks ago (fastest ever, 20:09 in Shanganagh parkrun late last year)
                                                                - Did two road races this year, my first ever. Managed 20.18 in the faster of the two

Had two months at the start of the year (Feb and March) where I ran a total of 10km between the two, due to injury and a new arrival in the family. Likewise, the slightly-less new arrival caused so much sleep havoc that the number of runs diminished greatly in November and December. Am at least 1/2 stone overweight but regardless, I have 'cracked' a sub-21 minute 5km now and find it relatively easy to do this on new parkruns, assuming the course and conditions are semi-decent.

Hoping to get out for two 5km parkruns tomorrow (the only day of the year two can be logged) to start 2019 off in style. Want to do more road races and finally, finally get that sub-20 next year too!

Hope all will have a good year

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                  Finishing the year on:

- 399.3km ran outside (compared to 294.5km in 2017, according to Strava), probably at least another 100km on the treadmill
                                                                  - 72 separate runs
                                                                  - 31 hours
                                                                  - Fastest 5km time: 20:11 in Marlay parkrun a few weeks ago (fastest ever, 20:09 in Shanganagh parkrun late last year)
                                                                  - Did two road races this year, my first ever. Managed 20.18 in the faster of the two

Had two months at the start of the year (Feb and March) where I ran a total of 10km between the two, due to injury and a new arrival in the family. Likewise, the slightly-less new arrival caused so much sleep havoc that the number of runs diminished greatly in November and December. Am at least 1/2 stone overweight but regardless, I have 'cracked' a sub-21 minute 5km now and find it relatively easy to do this on new parkruns, assuming the course and conditions are semi-decent.

Hoping to get out for two 5km parkruns tomorrow (the only day of the year two can be logged) to start 2019 off in style. Want to do more road races and finally, finally get that sub-20 next year too!

Hope all will have a good year
                                                                  If you done any running at all you would be a sub 18 runner I would imagine, to consistently do sub 21s with an average of 8km a week it shows you are a pretty natural quick runner

Comment

I've been very inactive over the last 18 months to 2 years and as a result have put on a few pounds. I reckon if I didn't have a fairly decent diet, it would be a lot worse.

I'm looking to set some achievable goals for 2019. Long runs are a no go for me (knees gerally go around the 10 miles mark) so I was thinking of the following

500KM total in 2019
                                                                    Sub 25 minute 5KM

Comment

If you done any running at all you would be a sub 18 runner I would imagine, to consistently do sub 21s with an average of 8km a week it shows you are a pretty natural quick runner
                                                                      Yeah, I really want to do 50-75km/month but life continually gets in the way! I've certainly can run at a sub-4 minute km pace easily enough, just can't do it for 5km in a row...

Comment

Other than my marathon disaster I'm pleased with the year.

Over 1400km ran over 165 days.

Hit good strong PBs in 5k, 5m, 10k, 10m and the half, and a parkrun pb.

Ran one 5k race, two 5 mile races, two 10k, a 10 mile, a half marathon and a marathon.

Learned a whole lot about sensible training and recovery.

Am skipping the marathon in 2019 and focussing on breaking 20mins in the 5k. Both in a race and at parkrun. Have 51 seconds to shave at the distance and 2 mins 3 secs to shave at parkrun.

Beginning structured training next week with that in mind.

Will race Raheny 5 mile at the end of January and do the race series. Will select some 5k races to target.

Would also like to do a bit of parkrun tourism too.

Good luck with the goals everyone.

Happy New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post

2018 Running goals are to:
                                                                          [1] Stay injury free
                                                                          [2] Be more involved in the running community/giving back
                                                                          [3] Run a 22 min 5k & 1:50 1/2 marathon
                                                                          Well we hit goals [1] and [2] but not [3].

Running highlights for the year included a 10 mile Tough Mudder with school friends, more off road running, park-running in London, a beautiful beach run at dawn on Christmas morning (followed by compulsory swim) and park-run volunteering.

Main goal for 2019 is to stay injury free, and log 1,000 miles.
                                                                          Last edited by colm_leche; 01-01-19, 22:07.

Comment

You're blessed to be staying injury free. I cant go more than a few weeks without something popping, straining, swelling.

Had a whole plan laid out for over the Christmas and after the first session on Christmas eve I ended up going to a physio with a bulging disc in my lower back. Thankfully its starting to feel ok now because I'm back to work tomorrow.

Only goal this year is to try and avoid injury. By some miracle.

Comment

Well, my main aim in running for the year - sub-20 5k - only required 10 hours of 2019 to accomplish Managed 19:54 (parkrun clocked at 19.53) in my first trip to Griffeen parkrun this morning:

Was quite chuffed with myself Ran a 2nd parkrun at 11am in Cabinteely, very tough up and down those hills but feels good to start the year with two 5ks under the belt on the first day.

Comment

Just read it on the other place. Very well done Paul, chuffed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  You're blessed to be staying injury free. I cant go more than a few weeks without something popping, straining, swelling.

Only goal this year is to try and avoid injury. By some miracle.
                                                                                  About half of my running is on sand or grass. I started yoga this year. I do some leg weights and a lot of stretching. The biggest thing for me is letting go of ego and the stop watch, and embracing slow progress.

Comment

Other than my marathon disaster I'm pleased with the year.

Over 1400km ran over 165 days.

Hit good strong PBs in 5k, 5m, 10k, 10m and the half, and a parkrun pb.

Ran one 5k race, two 5 mile races, two 10k, a 10 mile, a half marathon and a marathon.

Learned a whole lot about sensible training and recovery.

Am skipping the marathon in 2019 and focussing on breaking 20mins in the 5k. Both in a race and at parkrun. Have 51 seconds to shave at the distance and 2 mins 3 secs 1 min 39 secs to shave at parkrun.

Beginning structured training next week with that in mind.

Will race Raheny 5 mile at the end of January and do the race series. Will select some 5k races to target.

Would also like to do a bit of parkrun tourism too.

Good luck with the goals everyone.

Happy New Year.

FMP

Felt strong on New Year's day after a lot of heavy boozing, was only 25 seconds off my best. Decided to have a really clean week, earlyish nights, good eating no booze to see what the difference would be. Shaved 24 seconds off, felt really good throughout, pacing was excellent. A real confidence boost for the task ahead. Some quality training and I should be able to nail it.

Mile splits were 6:59, 6:59, 6:58, and 5:59 for the home stretch.

Comment

Does anyone know where I might get a replacement cable for a Garmin Forerunner 235.
                                                                                      I can order online but I'd like to charge asap for the weekend but I can't seem to find a physical store that sells them.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                                                                        About half of my running is on sand or grass. I started yoga this year. I do some leg weights and a lot of stretching. The biggest thing for me is letting go of ego and the stop watch, and embracing slow progress.
                                                                                        Found the last line of this quite good advice. Apart from the ego comment as I'm nowhere near fit enough or fast enough to have one

After I got the back right, I got sick and then got smothered with a head cold so it been a rough few weeks since before xmas.

Went out today. No phone, no watch, no idea how far I ran. Ran until I was starting to feel tired at a slow, steady pace. Felt great when I got back to the house so did a bit more cardio work in the garden and had a good stretch after it. No pain apart from the normal pain after a long lay off. Gonna go for another handy one tomorrow ahead of a soccer match on Monday evening.

Thanks for the advice
                                                                                        Last edited by dobby; 12-01-19, 21:27.

Comment

Anyone have an opinion on running in the morning or evening? Usually go out about 7 or 8pm for 5k. Thinking of starting to do it at 6am instead. Any benefits or is it just a case of finding whatever works for you?

Comment

Anyone have an opinion on running in the morning or evening? Usually go out about 7 or 8pm for 5k. Thinking of starting to do it at 6am instead. Any benefits or is it just a case of finding whatever works for you?
                                                                                            Whatever works for you, from my experience. Ideal time for me is early afternoon so weekends suit me for longer runs. However, I don't really enjoy any form of exercise early morning or late in the evening so running isn't unique there.

Comment

I'm a big fan of early morning running.

No better feeling having that coffee and breakfast after a decent run. Your productivity goes right up in work too.

Average run is about 35 to 40 mins so you don't have to hit the road stupid early. I usually head out about 6.50am.

Was doing some crazy stuff though during the marathon training. Wednesdays were session days, longest was just over 24k up and done and back in time for breakfast before heading to work.

Loved those days.

Comment

Mentioned this in the bbv, would prob have been better to post in here.

Stephen Scullion's podcast is a really great listen.

Documenting his journey to qualify for the marathon in Tokyo 2020. Cracking stuff.

Comment

Doing my first ParkRun tomorrow in Grifeen. Have ran two 5k events before.

Docklands 5k Oct 2017 - 27.25
                                                                                                  Staff Relay Phoneix Park May 2018 -23.30

I never run but hoping to make this somewhat regular. Will aim to run around the 23.30 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                    Doing my first ParkRun tomorrow in Grifeen. Have ran two 5k events before.

Docklands 5k Oct 2017 - 27.25
                                                                                                    Staff Relay Phoneix Park May 2018 -23.30

I never run but hoping to make this somewhat regular. Will aim to run around the 23.30 mark.
                                                                                                    Great stuff. How did it go?

Griffeen used to be my regular course, good crowd.

Comment

22.59 according to Park Run, progression anyway, happy days.

Very tight calves and I've a long drive later today, hopefully no cramps.

What a very well ran event, fair play to all the volunteers and anyone in this thread who volunteers too, bunch a legends.

Lot of Stags and rugby trips over the next few weekends so hoping to get at out to this at least once a month.

Comment

You burst through your target, sweet. Well done.

Check out Corkagh sometime.

Comment

Haha, great stuff Joe, must try make it to Poolbeg some Sat for a catch up.
                                                                                                          Let’s do this soon
                                                                                                          Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                          Just Googled this route and its part of my regular workday 10K route. I run from Merrion Sq down to Sean Moore Park, right through (or sometimes round) Irishtown Nature Park and down past the towers to the car park at the end of Pigeon House Road and then back again to Merrion Sq.

Nice run. Hope to do it tomorrow.
                                                                                                          Yeah it’s a nice course, a challenge for a beginner like me with the middle hill in the reserve, but nice track, I love running by the sea.
                                                                                                          Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                          I randomly decided to run 100km in January as a New Years resolution, having run 87km in all of 2018 it was a good motivator. I got two minor injuries along the way and I’m 81.2km in with 3 days to go!
                                                                                                          Have managed to eek over 2mins off my 5km PB at 21.15, and also did my first 10km in 5 years last night at 47:40, so definite progress.

Target for 2019
                                                                                                          Run 300km
                                                                                                          Run 3 races and 8 park runs
                                                                                                          Beat 20:30 in 5km and beat 45mins in 10km.

I would always have said morning runs are for nutters but I’m converted, did a 5km PB whilst feeling terriblly tired after I got up and then felt great afterwards. It’s just a question of getting to bed a bit earlier, but if you’re not running in the evening you can eat earlier etc too which is all good. Also it’s lovely to see the sunrise.

Comment

So I started running this year too, there wasn't any particular goal at the start but now I've set the Wicklow Gaol 10km as my first race (Sorry Paul, missing your GG event).

I came to the realisation that although I was quite fit a few years ago that the lack of structure and perceived knowledge from college of nutrition and exercise was holding me back if anything from getting back there as we all know a little bit of knowledge can be a hindrance at times.

So, I a bought a 10 mile running program from Hal Higdon which i use as a 10km program and I will use for a 10 mile program from April on. I've paid the subs for TrainingPeaks which syncs up with it too.

I've completed 18 sessions thus far since Jan 1st 15 of which were running all ranging between 2km and 8km with some tempo and interval sessions included.

No particular goals beyond Wicklow Gaol, anything under 1hr is fine with me thus far but perhaps I'll have a great goal by the time race rolls around.

Given the mileage I've done so far this year I'm aiming for 500km by end of June which I'm currently on track for and we'll see after that.

Comment

So I managed to get through the 100km, it was a great distance to challenge myself as it didn’t have to be done every day but it was often enough to put me u dear pressure to get out. Not sure on the rest of the goals, will take 2 weeks rest and then start hammering at the 5km door i think as a next target.

Comment

Anyone doing the park run on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                                  Anyone doing the park run on Saturday?
                                                                                                                  I'll be doing Corkagh this weekend as part of an 8 mile run.

Will travel to Poolbeg for a meet up for sure. You want to pencil in a date?

Also Joe, be careful with your training. Try keep it all, or most of it, easy. Keep the pb attempts for races or the odd parkrun, maybe every three weeks. Not only will you avoid injury but you'll see vast improvement.

Comment

Super Janurary though, was keeping up with you on Strava.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                                      So I started running this year too, there wasn't any particular goal at the start but now I've set the Wicklow Gaol 10km as my first race (Sorry Paul, missing your GG event).

I came to the realisation that although I was quite fit a few years ago that the lack of structure and perceived knowledge from college of nutrition and exercise was holding me back if anything from getting back there as we all know a little bit of knowledge can be a hindrance at times.

So, I a bought a 10 mile running program from Hal Higdon which i use as a 10km program and I will use for a 10 mile program from April on. I've paid the subs for TrainingPeaks which syncs up with it too.

I've completed 18 sessions thus far since Jan 1st 15 of which were running all ranging between 2km and 8km with some tempo and interval sessions included.

No particular goals beyond Wicklow Gaol, anything under 1hr is fine with me thus far but perhaps I'll have a great goal by the time race rolls around.

Given the mileage I've done so far this year I'm aiming for 500km by end of June which I'm currently on track for and we'll see after that.
                                                                                                                      Good man Dave.

The race series is fantastic if you want another goal, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon. A month apart. Super atmosphere at each.

Comment

Good man Dave.

The race series is fantastic if you want another goal, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon. A month apart. Super atmosphere at each.
                                                                                                                        Thanks Conor, tell your dad I was asking for him. I always liked sitting beside him at a game. If he's ever around Kildare there's a good game in The Spout on a Thursday night, he'd know a few people there.

I had an 8k run today as part of the programme but hit a wall early on and struggled around. This week ramped up from last week so mileage went up approx 6km across various runs.

BTW if anyone wants the programme, I'll check if it's downloadable and I can send it

Comment

Cheers man, I'll tell him you were asking for him. He lives in Spain now, still pokering away, plays a couple of tourneys a week. He's quite the nit, but he does ok

Give us what your typical week is, effort levels, paces etc. Doesn't sound right to be gassed out on a weekend long run.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X