Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Ok, so for 2021:

Total distance - 600.9km (obv missed my target but happy enough with the total given the difficulties this year with creches being closed so much and some lengthy injuries)
    Fastest 5km - 20.59 (two Saturdays ago in Marlay parkrun first sub-21 in about two years, and they used to be the minimum I'd be aiming for!)
    Number of parkruns - 12 of 16 possible in 2021

2022 targets:

Total distance - 750km
    Fastest 5km - sub 20.30
    Number of parkruns - 35+
    Ah. What I actually achieved in 2022:

Total distance - 501km (hurt my back for the 2nd year running, same place, and this time while the pain was less noticeable, the associated sciatica and longer recovery impacted my running more than in 2021! Basically had four full months with 0kms done. Luckily got a lot (for me) of kms in during January and February, and then made a massive push in the week after Xmas to cross the 500km line on Dec 31)
    Fastest 5km - 20:15, Malahide parkrun April 2nd 2022 (surprised myself with this one! Since the 4 month layoff in the middle of 2022, the fastest I've managed is 21:47 and will be a while before I can get back down to 20:XX)
    Number of parkruns - 27 (not bad considering zero parkruns between May 15 and September 17!)

Zero road races in 2022, usually try to do one somewhere. I'm also overweight compared to my usual self, between 0.5 and a full stone of fat on my belly, bah. Lots of work to do in 2023.

2023 targets:

Top target - Don't hurt my back again!
    Total distance - 750km
    Fastest 5km - sub 20.30
    Number of parkruns - 40

Comment

2022 goals vs achieved:

1,500 km target but 1,175 achieved. Putting it down to back in the office a bit, a family death and losing about 4 weeks to various mild illnesses like head colds. Still my third best year in the last 10 years but a wee bit disappointing nonetheless.

4 half marathons target and 3 achieved. Had to drop x1 due another commitment taking precedent. Did one really fast one in Wexford (maybe by third or fourth fastest of the last decade). So think I still have a sub 2:06 in me somewhere. Also did one of my harshest in Oct at Clontarf.

Lose 3 kilos target - added 3 kilos on average. Oh well, the joys of fluctuating weight when you're over 50. Thinks its mostly dietary as I do enjoy bread and biscuits which counteracts the intermittent fasting. Am planning more salads and less sugar though so hopefully I can get on a downward slope again between now and summer.

2003 goals:

1,250km - more realistic than 1,500 I feel and still a stretch on my usual 1,000. If achieved would be my new 3rd best in 11 years so I'd take that.
      4 halfs - same as usual. Might mix up em up this year. will deffo keep the x2 Clontarf but have a hankering after somewhere a little more far flung that Wexford and Wicklow. But that's just to see something different. The main thins is to try and get one in per quarter.

I don't really have any time goals. I don't do 5kms as a rule, certainly not consistently like at a Parkrun. Maybe I should try and start thinking about that. Do a few and see if I can set a new record. Have GAA Sat morning with the young fella though so that kinda gets in the way.

Anyway, good luck with your goals in 2023 - one step at a time lads!

Comment

Main physical objective this year is to lose weight Currently 15 stone
        Aiming for 13 stone

Secondary and complimentary will be to keep active on a consistent basis.
        15 to 20 miles miles a week coupled with resistance excercises/stretches when I'm out.
        Aiming to get out and about a bare minimum of 3 days a week up to 5 with 1 decent mountain hike as part of that p/w
        Will be walking/jogging/shorter faster runs, push ups, squats, dumbbell lifts, yoga stretches, breathing exercises

Taking it slow and easy to avoid injury.

At 30 push ups in a row now, adding 1 extra per session and beginning to feel a bit of definition
        Was doing 45 a couple of years ago so will be beating that in a few weeks.

Cutting booze to an absolute max of 12 × 330 ml bottles p/w
        Food will be pretty much same as usual with a few tweaks.

​​​​​​MIght pop in a few updates here just to keep myself disciplined and motivated.

Best of luck all!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          Another year (almost) over. I suppose we can't complain.

2022 Report
          1. Easy success with an unprecedented 905K done and a couple of runs left. Don't think I put in any extra runs, just a case of doing 6Ks instead of5Ks etc and it all adds up.
          2. Down to 89Kg now so didn't get to target. Lost 6Kg to end of May but only a further 5kg after that. But I have to remind myself I started from a high of 108kg in September 2021 so it's all going right direction. And it remains great fun to find stuff in the bottom of the wardrobe that I 'rage discarded' and now it fits perfectly.
          3. Never did venture into a proper race - I guess the first step might be to use the internet to actually find out where/when they are on !
          4. 24:40 achieved in September - only did a handful of parkruns after that and both a few seconds slower.

2023 Goals
          See no reason that 900K can't be achieved again, if I continue to be remarkably niggle free (my fellow 50something peers (feel so old) seem to have failing hips/ankles/knees galore so that'll probably get me eventually). But now that 900K has been done, 1000K seems a tantalising target. I guess I'll have an idea after the winter months whether it's possible.

As said progress slowed somewhat on weight loss after getting rid of the initial easy excess. So a more moderate target in 2023 of getting from 89kg to 83kg, roughly a stone in old money.

Definitely do some proper races in 2023. Will read here and boards to find out when they are on. Maybe someone throw a link if there's a website that collates them?

Times - have come to accept I'm a slow bastard when losing all that weight only takes 4 minutes off my 5K times. A few more PBs would be nice though, 24 minute 5K should be doable in summer.

Good luck to all in 2023, whether continuing the good work or approaching a New Beginning. Keep us posted.
          Fantastic stuff AJ. 4 mins off a PB is outstanding are you mad.

Great mileage, keep that up.

I can't recommend the Dublin race series highly enough. Starts with a 5 mile in June, then a 10k in July, a 10 mile in Aug and finishes with a half marathon in Sep.

You don't need to sign up to them all although you really should. The buzz at them is incredible.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Back from another mountain walk ..that's about 13 miles in 2 days.
            A short park walk during the week gives me 16 miles thereabouts so at the lower end of my target.
            Push ups - at least 300 done this week prob closer to 400
            do different types at varying speeds. Got to 35 in a row now but reining it in a bit on progression. . Was reading about rotator cuff injuries so taking it handy for now
            Squats- not too many of these around the 200 mark ...left knee is grating a bit
            Weights - 3 small sessions with dumbbells

All in all a reasonable week. Getting some muscle definition and feeling good.

Grog- didn't keep to my allowance but not at pre Christmas levels so have cut back at least

Next week will be attempting to get up earlier (most definitely not a morning person) and get out for an hour before breakfast X 3 days plus 2 hikes at the w/e

​​​​​Will do a weigh in at the end of month
            ​​​​​

Comment

So end of week 2
              ​​​​​​

Walked- 20/21 miles including mountains Push ups- 360
              Squats- 265
              Tricep dips- 110
              Stretches- 40 mins or so

Booze - under my allowance - just had 1 bottle wine and 3 bottles beer total for the week

Have been getting out early on a few days to walk and excercise which is a great experience despite some of the naysayers in the BBV!

Sugar- have approx cut by a half added sugar to hot drinks
              Targeted bread as a culprit here too and have again cut down by maybe a third to a half.

Really keen on controlling the sugar intake to reduce inflammation.

Struggling with a cold and stuffed up sinuses since last w/e and a bit of a cough. Nothing major but hard to breathe through nose. Had to drag myself out today but managed an hour and half walk and some conditioning so got through that dip in energy.

One thing I have been doing is writing up my excercise notes up in advance of the day I'm doing them and seems to be working well in making sure I do them.
              Doing a round up here helps too but will prob just do a monthly after the end of month weigh in. Wouldn't want to bore the living Jaysus out of ye ​​​

Mostly enjoying the excercise apart so think the balance is right for me at the moment.
              Looking forward to incorporating jogging shortly and some longer stretch sessions.

​​​​​Anyhoo that's it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                So end of week 2
                ​​​​​​

Walked- 20/21 miles including mountains Push ups- 360
                Squats- 265
                Tricep dips- 110
                Stretches- 40 mins or so

Booze - under my allowance - just had 1 bottle wine and 3 bottles beer total for the week

Have been getting out early on a few days to walk and excercise which is a great experience despite some of the naysayers in the BBV!

Sugar- have approx cut by a half added sugar to hot drinks
                Targeted bread as a culprit here too and have again cut down by maybe a third to a half.

Really keen on controlling the sugar intake to reduce inflammation.

Struggling with a cold and stuffed up sinuses since last w/e and a bit of a cough. Nothing major but hard to breathe through nose. Had to drag myself out today but managed an hour and half walk and some conditioning so got through that dip in energy.

One thing I have been doing is writing up my excercise notes up in advance of the day I'm doing them and seems to be working well in making sure I do them.
                Doing a round up here helps too but will prob just do a monthly after the end of month weigh in. Wouldn't want to bore the living Jaysus out of ye ​​​

Mostly enjoying the excercise apart so think the balance is right for me at the moment.
                Looking forward to incorporating jogging shortly and some longer stretch sessions.

​​​​​Anyhoo that's it for now.
                A little bit of public pressure is no harm for the motivation, we’ll be awaiting the reports!

Comment

Good updates lads. Keep 'er lit.

First booze tonight since NYE - that month flew by. Probably easiest 'dry January' yet (I know, I know, only 27 days!).

130km running done. Probably about the same walking with the dog, certainly over 100km.

Daily Pepsi Max (and subsequent aspartame and caffeine ) totally knocked on the head - sleeping much better as a result. Easier than I'd thought bus still craving the odd fizzy drink after a run.

A few plain biccy's here and there but way less than half of what I would have had. Only a few bits of chocolate (maybe 5 or 6 bars in total over the month), cut out mainly to avoid the caffeine.

Only one fry-up (due to lack of beer).

Hope this weekend's return to the grog doesn't derail things too much - venison sausages and vegetable roll out of the freezer now for tomorrow's late breakfast!

And I'll allow myself a Lucozade or something tomorrow as well I think.

Bring on Spring!

Comment

Working...
                  X