No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall some posts in the past re good socks for blister prevention, can anyone remind me of some brands you find effective? I seem to blow hot & cold with my resistance to blisters but last couple weeks I keep compounding an ever-growing surface area on the right sole without much volume so it's time to test some new gear!

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
      I recall some posts in the past re good socks for blister prevention, can anyone remind me of some brands you find effective? I seem to blow hot & cold with my resistance to blisters but last couple weeks I keep compounding an ever-growing surface area on the right sole without much volume so it's time to test some new gear!
      Balega “hidden comfort” is what I use, and haven’t had a blister since. They’re about €15/pair and worth every penny.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/sear...unning%20Socks

Comment

Haven’t been in here much but running very consistently of late, up to 160km for the 200km lockdown challenge with about 2 weeks left. I’m really enjoying getting back in the groove and I’ve only missed one day in 25 since I started.

ive kept everything slow as I’ve learned the lessons of prior attempts though thus time I’ve added in a 1km warm down where I stop at every lamppost (20!) on th way and do 15 seconds of stretching, which seems to leave me fresh each day. I’ve also kept the daily mileage to about 6-8km so I don’t need rest days.

having made such progress I’m going to attempt a 1000km 2020 target and I’m at 820km at the moment, so I’d need to do 4km/day to get there. My original target was 600km.

Comment

Getting back into some regularity with the running the last couple weeks, nothing crazy but 2-3 times a week. Going to try for 7k on Friday should hopefully do okay, I switched from my Asics to Nike and so far with the new runners the blisters I was getting on my heels aren't reapperaing.

On the issue of running gear I generally tend to run early in the morning when it's dark or the evening, got a little torch for the head to have some light but looking at picking up some other stuff so I'm able to be seen anything people recommend? Also in relation to clothing, I've been running most in shorts/long sleeve but it's going to start getting a lot colder so will definitely need something to keep warm, any suggestions/recommendations throw them my way.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
            Getting back into some regularity with the running the last couple weeks, nothing crazy but 2-3 times a week. Going to try for 7k on Friday should hopefully do okay, I switched from my Asics to Nike and so far with the new runners the blisters I was getting on my heels aren't reapperaing.

On the issue of running gear I generally tend to run early in the morning when it's dark or the evening, got a little torch for the head to have some light but looking at picking up some other stuff so I'm able to be seen anything people recommend? Also in relation to clothing, I've been running most in shorts/long sleeve but it's going to start getting a lot colder so will definitely need something to keep warm, any suggestions/recommendations throw them my way.
            No matter how cool it is I always run in shorts, even went for a run on the lake in Chicago thinking it was 2C and turned out to be -9C! Hate being too warm on a run

Comment

Hit 900 tracked runs on RunKeeper yesterday (and 901 today over the last 8 years).

Tracking to 1400km this year, possibly 1500 depending on weather. 40-50% more than the usual 1000km.

Working form home is the bomb for running. No way I could do that if I was in an office, even if it was only 6 or 7km away trying to juggle a kid/childminder/shcool etc... with running for one hour per day would be too onerous I think.

I'm sure i'll go back to an office eventually but running 40-50 km per week from home seems so much better for me than struggling to hit 20km in the good/bad old days pre-virus.

Comment

Under Armour Cold Gear base layers are great for cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                  Hit 900 tracked runs on RunKeeper yesterday (and 901 today over the last 8 years).

Tracking to 1400km this year, possibly 1500 depending on weather. 40-50% more than the usual 1000km.

Working form home is the bomb for running. No way I could do that if I was in an office, even if it was only 6 or 7km away trying to juggle a kid/childminder/shcool etc... with running for one hour per day would be too onerous I think.

I'm sure i'll go back to an office eventually but running 40-50 km per week from home seems so much better for me than struggling to hit 20km in the good/bad old days pre-virus.

Yeah likewise I’ve managed nearly 900km so far this year, when my target was 600km. I did 450km in the 12 weeks of lockdown...

i really love the freedom of WFH to just get 30-40mins of exercise in each day,

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Under Armour Cold Gear base layers are great for cold weather.
                    Yeah I love their tops

Comment

I wear a pair of heatgear tights under my shorts when it's cold as well. I don't really need them but find the extra covering makes me less reluctant to get out the door when it's bitter out. They're light enough and wick sweat away well so they don't bother me after I warm up either.

I must head out now and do 10k which will get me to 150/200 in that challenge of yours. I'm glad I spotted it on Strava cos it's got me right back into it and I've been enjoying it massively.

Incidentally, I've found any time I get to around 16k all of a sudden my knee gets quite sore at the back and slightly around the outside. I can keep going but it totally blows me out of my stride and I feel like I'm nearly hobbling. It doesn't persist to runs in the following days. Anyone else ever run into a distance limit like that? Any idea what's to be done? I'd like to get a half marathon under my belt but this is restricting me

Comment

I wear a pair of heatgear tights under my shorts when it's cold as well. I don't really need them but find the extra covering makes me less reluctant to get out the door when it's bitter out. They're light enough and wick sweat away well so they don't bother me after I warm up either.

I must head out now and do 10k which will get me to 150/200 in that challenge of yours. I'm glad I spotted it on Strava cos it's got me right back into it and I've been enjoying it massively.

Incidentally, I've found any time I get to around 16k all of a sudden my knee gets quite sore at the back and slightly around the outside. I can keep going but it totally blows me out of my stride and I feel like I'm nearly hobbling. It doesn't persist to runs in the following days. Anyone else ever run into a distance limit like that? Any idea what's to be done? I'd like to get a half marathon under my belt but this is restricting me
                        I don't often run over 10km in order to notice it, but I find when my knee gets at me from running some work on the IT band (outer thigh) works well, as it's nearly impossible to stretch it effectively dynamically. I also try to mix up my foot plant as well to give certain muscles a rest.

My guess would be that it's just fatigue and so hopefully eases over time.

I'm up to 195km myself, and likewise I saw a mate who's not really a runner started it on Strava and it's been a Godsend. I'm at 851km at the moment and considering going for 1000km this year, but I think even 900km would be decent, without the challenge I doubt I'd have done 50km never mind the 200km.

Comment

200km challenge completed, really enjoyed that one, with 10 days to go.

Key was to go slower and regularly, no issues at all along the way. didn't have to take a day off to rest. Usually i'd have a lash for a km if i was feeling good, but stayed above 5mins for the first 100km and only did 4:30 on occasions.

I'm using strava premium, and with a HRM, so you get a relative effort score which in turn feeds into fitness. I've got the fitness score to 42 from 10 in the las 5 weeks, the highest i've got it was 48 in July so that's the next goal.

Also have 860km for the year done, will have to have a lash at 1000km before year end now.

Comment

Have had the same for a few months now, usually around the 12km mark. If I run through it and do 20km+ it will persist for a couple of days. It's only the right knee for me & hard to describe the feeling; it's not painful but it's noticeable, almost like a faint ligament issue, a feeling of "something's not fully right" rather than "something's very much wrong." I know I've had spells of similar debilitating niggles in the past that just dissipate over time so, much like my general ineptitude with stretching/maintenance, I just do what I can while I can.

Comment

Working...
                            X