No announcement yet.

Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was up in the mountains these past 2 weekends doing a bit.
    Jogged Tibradden trail (the flat bits) which was great. Constantly adjusting as ground is uneven with lots or rocks so great for the stabilizer muscles (or so I've read)
    Also did a nice 5 mile section of a side road with probably 60/40 split between jogging and walking (usually the steep hills)
    I found the steep gradients really difficult but picked a target and then broke it down into 5 metre chunks to get there.
    Following Laz's advice in general about going really slow and not worrying about time.
    Calf injury I had been struggling with is getting increasingly stronger. The patch of psoriasis is cleaning up nicely so figure that must have had something to do with the repeated injuries and pain of it.
    Going to stick with slow for now and build up mileage.

Used to have a great engine when hurling/soccer etc but haven't done long or even medium distance in ages.

Some feel good factor in it, can feel the addiction taking hold!

Comment

I'm trying to get back into the habit a bit now after being crazy at work the last few weeks. I suppose the sunshine isn't a help but found 7.3km at 5:45/k fairly tough yesterday which is fairly weak.

Got out on the bike today and the legs were not great for the first 30 mins but found I was going relatively well after that.

Hopefully I haven't lost too much ground, planning to do a local sprint tri next week so I'll have to try and get as much back as possible as quickly as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        I'm trying to get back into the habit a bit now after being crazy at work the last few weeks. I suppose the sunshine isn't a help but found 7.3km at 5:45/k fairly tough yesterday which is fairly weak.

Got out on the bike today and the legs were not great for the first 30 mins but found I was going relatively well after that.

Hopefully I haven't lost too much ground, planning to do a local sprint tri next week so I'll have to try and get as much back as possible as quickly as possible!
        First one back can often be tough especially if you’re running slower as it’ll seemingly drag on for ages. Few more runs per week and you’ll be back at it

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

First one back can often be tough especially if you’re running slower as it’ll seemingly drag on for ages. Few more runs per week and you’ll be back at it
          Got out again today and did 7.8. It felt slow and tough but when I checked back it wasn't a huge amount off my 10k PB time. Now in fairness I've never really pushed myself to do a decent 10k time but potentially I'm not gone back as much as I thought I was.

I might try and do a fast 5k in the next couple of days to see how I go and what I should target in the triathlon. I'd been hoping to do about 25 mins originally but not sure I'll manage that now. Race conditions will probably help.
          Last edited by Keane; 22-07-20, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Got out again today and did 7.8. It felt slow and tough but when I checked back it wasn't a huge amount off my 10k PB time. Now in fairness I've never really pushed myself to do a decent 10k time but potentially I'm not gone back as much as I thought I was.

I might try and do a fast 5k in the next couple of days to see how I go and what I should target in the triathlon. I'd been hoping to do about 25 mins originally but not sure I'll manage that now. Race conditions will probably help.
            I think a flat out 5km is a great test of where you are fitness wise. If PB is 25 then anything in 26s after a long break is good place to start. My PB was 21.12 and after taking 6weeks off I could only muster 23:50, then after a series of efforts I was in 21:50 the following week. It’ll come quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
              It's not often I break a PB these days but clocked up my 7th 10Km in 7 days today to beat the previous 6-in-a-row in Lanzarote 5 or 6 years ago.

Will probably try and rock on to 10 or until the weather gets the better of me or I wake up feeling too fat or stiff some day next week.
              14 in a row completed today. Getting easier and mostly faster too. Suppose I'll crack on until the weather stops me (all day heavy wind and rain probably the only blocker now.)

Only able to do it cos WFH and very little working being done TBH but I'll take that as it's as close to endurance running as I'll get at this stage.

Actually considering dropping a half marathon into the mix next week but not sure how sensible or realistic that is. We'll see.

Comment

Was out Thurs Sat and Sun
                Did a nice mountain jog on Sat felt strong and coping with the hills better. Still just doing a slow steady pace.

Went out Sun to the park and mixed in a few fast 150s and 100s with the jogging with lots of stretching after.

Have what feels like a strained ligament or something back of leg (not the hammer or calf more level with the knee)

Hopefully just a niggle that'll go away in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                  Was out Thurs Sat and Sun
                  Did a nice mountain jog on Sat felt strong and coping with the hills better. Still just doing a slow steady pace.

Went out Sun to the park and mixed in a few fast 150s and 100s with the jogging with lots of stretching after.

Have what feels like a strained ligament or something back of leg (not the hammer or calf more level with the knee)

Hopefully just a niggle that'll go away in a few days.

Try a foam roller down the outside of your leg, up from the knee - your IT band, I find that helps my knees no end.

Comment

Try a foam roller down the outside of your leg, up from the knee - your IT band, I find that helps my knees no end.
                    Thanks, will give that a go

Comment

Lazare, how did we not see more hype on the race build up? Also where did it take place?

Comment

Running has been going really well for me over these months. Have been getting out every other day since the start of March all the time building up the Kms.
                        Today I hit 200 Km for July which included a few sub 60 10K's , a half and my longest ever run of 30K in better times than I was doing 10K a few months ago, 750k since March is more than I did last year
                        I'm mostly kind of amazed at how well I'm holding up and how much I'm enjoying it. Had a couple of niggles that I thought might become serious but so far just stretching, rolling, icing and an occasional difene are keeping me on track. Had one visit to the physio and will hopefully be getting back to a regular monthly massage again from next week.
                        Had been struggling since autumn with an extremely painful frozen shoulder that had stopped me swimming, I was getting some very aggressive treatment for wh n it all shut down leaving me with just the exercises to do myself but this last couple of weeks it seems to be getting to where I might try swimming again. If I was to do that and a lot more on the bike I could possibly aim at getting a late season tri in now that the wetsuit fits again!

I was probably very lucky that i had flipped that hideously inaccessible eat clean eat less switch in my head in January so that when the world changed I was already well in my stride on it. Altogether I'm down 18Kg to 80 but am now struggling to stay off the bread and those two squares of chocolate a night have become four but hopefully I can fend off the crisps and cakes phase for a while yet and maybe get rid of another few Kg and aim to make 80 a ceiling instead of a floor.
                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 30-07-20, 21:14.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Running has been going really well for me over these months. Have been getting out every other day since the start of March all the time building up the Kms.
                          Today I hit 200 Km for July which included a few sub 60 10K's , a half and my longest ever run of 30K in better times than I was doing 10K a few months ago, 750k since March is more than I did last year
                          I'm mostly kind of amazed at how well I'm holding up and how much I'm enjoying it. Had a couple of niggles that I thought might become serious but so far just stretching, rolling, icing and an occasional difene are keeping me on track. Had one visit to the physio and will hopefully be getting back to a regular monthly massage again from next week.
                          Had been struggling since autumn with an extremely painful frozen shoulder that had stopped me swimming, I was getting some very aggressive treatment for wh n it all shut down leaving me with just the exercises to do myself but this last couple of weeks it seems to be getting to where I might try swimming again. If I was to do that and a lot more on the bike I could possibly aim at getting a late season tri in now that the wetsuit fits again!

I was probably very lucky that i had flipped that hideously inaccessible eat clean eat less switch in my head in January so that when the world changed I was already well in my stride on it. Altogether I'm down 18Kg to 80 but am now struggling to stay off the bread and those two squares of chocolate a night have become four but hopefully I can fend off the crisps and cakes phase for a while yet and maybe get rid of another few Kg and aim to make 80 a ceiling instead of a floor.
                          Jeez that's some going SP. Really well done.

I'm struggling to get from 87kg to 80kg (and then 77kg as my next target) despite running nearly every day and intermittent fasting in July and part of June.

Still on the bread and cakes mind you so that might be it. Getting to sub 60 min 10km is a great achievement also. I think that ship has sailed for me, I'm stuck at 61.5 mins at best but if I lost another 4 or 5 kg maybe it could be possible.

Anyway, inspiring stuff. Was wavering on doing a half marathon this morning - mind saying do it, body saying no - but this post has me rearing to go now!

Congrats again.

Comment

13.1 miles done in 2:19. Very happy I read SPs post at exactly the right time!

So that's 18 10kms and a 22km completed in 19 days straight. Probably take tomorrow off as I have a 5 hr car journey to north Donegal but plenty of beach running for the week then.

Feel like I could run forever at the minute.

Comment

Pain I had in back of knee from Mon I think is hamstring.
                              Left it a few days doing nothing on it but it's not improving.

I'm definitely carrying too much weight which is putting too much stress on the ole bod. Was delighted when the calf injury improved so probably did a bit too much too quick.

So running is out for a few weeks at least if it's hamstring.
                              Shedding a few lbs and conditioning I can at least work on in the meantime.

Deciding what to cut down on will be key I guess plus replacing with healthy stuff. I cook a fair bit with takeaway max twice a week
                              Booze is the obvious choice to cut back on.
                              Bread I probably could cut down a bit too.
                              Reduce portion size of pasta/etc
                              Dont eat cakes etc and very little chocolate.
                              Do enjoy tayto binge every now and again.

Any tips welcomed!

Comment

Yes I figured you can’t outrun a bad diet when I made no gains last year. If you don’t believe me start tracking your calorie burn from strava running and then look seriously at everything you eat that has a calorie Courtney, every bun every beer every coke etc. I’m close on 10kg lighter now after about 8 months of steady decreases from 87 to 77, all based on cutting out shit food. I still eat the odd bag of crisps, but cut out chips and spuds and eat way more spicy chicken salads instead of pasta and also cut out a lot of snacking. I found I was eating way too much at lunchtime probably out of boredom, but find eating way less doesn’t make me hungrier later in the day, I’m always hungry at 5pm anyway and equally full at 2pm, I’m actually more productive after a smaller lunch.

Comment

Agree fully that you can't outrun a bad diet. I've done 1000km a year for six or seven years now and only ever lose weight when I change my diet (reduced carbs/reduce refined sugar/intermittent fasting being the various dietary changes over the last 3 or 4 years). The fasting currently working well - no food from 8pm to noon the next day, only black, sugarless coffee and water in the morning - with slow and hopefully sustainable loss on two meals a day. Not really a snacker anyway but do love biccies and tea after lunch/dinner. Starting to occasionally avoid these now too though but can reduce further if I feel I'm hitting a flat spot I suppose.

Comment

'I ran out of excuses': lockdown raises the bar for UK ultrarunners

Comment

Agree fully that you can't outrun a bad diet. I've done 1000km a year for six or seven years now and only ever lose weight when I change my diet (reduced carbs/reduce refined sugar/intermittent fasting being the various dietary changes over the last 3 or 4 years). The fasting currently working well - no food from 8pm to noon the next day, only black, sugarless coffee and water in the morning - with slow and hopefully sustainable loss on two meals a day. Not really a snacker anyway but do love biccies and tea after lunch/dinner. Starting to occasionally avoid these now too though but can reduce further if I feel I'm hitting a flat spot I suppose.
                                      Well with that amount of exercise it could only be diet, that’s some mileage to do consistently. What weight are you now?

Comment

Well with that amount of exercise it could only be diet, that’s some mileage to do consistently. What weight are you now?
                                        Oh it is for sure diet. I eat what I want which means plenty of bread and biscuits. Was 87kg in Jan but down to 81kg now with the intermittent fasting, hardly any drinking and the miles. So when the weight loss bottoms out I'll probably change my diet again to push a few more easy kilos off.

Have done some nice runs in Donegal since Saturday, not least of all the Horn Head loop which was spectacular but quite challenging with a 700ft elevation in a couple of miles.

Ate an extra bun that evening cos I earned it

Comment

Oh it is for sure diet. I eat what I want which means plenty of bread and biscuits. Was 87kg in Jan but down to 81kg now with the intermittent fasting, hardly any drinking and the miles. So when the weight loss bottoms out I'll probably change my diet again to push a few more easy kilos off.

Have done some nice runs in Donegal since Saturday, not least of all the Horn Head loop which was spectacular but quite challenging with a 700ft elevation in a couple of miles.

Ate an extra bun that evening cos I earned it
                                          For someone who grew up in donegal I’m annoyed I didn’t see more of it when I was there. Running is a great way to see a place I think, even more so than cycling as you’re not watching the road as much. Have you been to Portsalon?

Comment

Working...
                                          X