This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Semi Final: 1

Welcome to the first semi final of music king!

Two genres this time:

Electronica (we'll try this again, no aphex twin)
    90s Pop
    One free pick

Player 1
    Dig your Own Hole was such a seismic commercial success, had singles that were played so repeatedly and used so extensively by films / ads - that it’s easy to overlook / forget how great it was. It served as my own personal entry into electronic music as a teenager. Choosing a song from the album is hard, but I’ve gone for this banger. Spike Jonze’s music video accompanies the track perfectly, particularly at the crucial climatic moment.

90’s Pop is such a broad church, trying to pick a single song is a near impossible task. My choice therefore comes down to hearing this randomly on the radio over the weekend for the first time in years and marvelling at how great it is. Leaving aside the iconic video, this is original, funky, jazzy and oh so catchy can’t get out of your head pop. Worth enjoying again.

A third great music video, but a very different offering musically here. Lekman has always been a great storyteller and it’s no different here, as he takes us through an awkward dinner with his date who is using him as a cover. It all leads to an uplifting conclusion and rousing reprise, bubblegum for the ears.

Player 2

Not 100 percent sure what electronica is defined as, not a term I see v often - is it all electronic music, or verging on more chiller stuff? I'm gonna go with the latter and any excuse to roll out this tender beauty

Little bit electronic, little bit 90s pop, this one hit number 2 in America, number 8 in UK, but the real heads know it from Mushroom Jazz!

Not much needed to be said here. One of the best from a genius

Voting open until Sunday. gogogogogogooo

Comment

electronica

really enjoyed acid bells minimalist sound, whereas i got a little bit tired after a while of the CB track

90s pop

used to like jamiroquai and this was a great track atthe time, but just got absolutely sick of it, and still am.

love that blue boy track but that is not pop for me.

free pick

that jens lekman was not for me, and neither was that d'angelo track

not a whole lot for me to enjoy in this round, but on balance P2 takes it

Comment

P1 takes electronica round for me. But P2 takes Pop round & free pick.
        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Player 2 Shades it for me

Comment

Will get to these over the next couple of days . Mad at the moment. Not abandoning the competition after all the hard work .

Comment

Not a lot for me here, Player 1 should be disqualified for picking that pisspoor Stevie Wonder impression by Jimoraquai, but Chemical Bros much the better Electronica track and the Jens Lekman track swings it back to Player 1
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Will get to these with a few tins over weekend
                some stinkers that have no place in an MK final spotted already
                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Player 1 .

Comment

Player 2 mainly for blue boy and not posting Jamiroquai
                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Oooft... player 1 by a whisker!

Comment

Player 1
                        Poor round imo
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Player 2

Comment

Working...
                          X