Music King Round 2: Girl band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Round 2: Girl band

Labelle went into the studio with Alan Toussaint looking for a fresh sound and came out with a classic.

Phil Ochs wrote dozens of great songs, none more evocative than this beautiful reflection on mortality. Despite it being recorded by dozens of artists it's rarely heard and hasn't become a standard for guitar wankers everywhere.

Player 2

The Staves are a folk trio of sisters from Watford. Knocking about since the late 2000’s, they’ve developed their own brand of introspective lyrics and soaring harmonies. This is a highlight from their last album, dealing with the loss of their mother who inspired them to give music a go.

Kaputt is an album I continue to revisit regularly, over a decade since it’s release. The album is a long bitter comedown from a wonderful bender - the type where you had the best time but encountered loads of actually terrible people you’ll never be friends with. This track has a faded glory to it, just the right level of homage to 80’s pop as Dan Bejar snarls through cynical and jaded lyrics.

Player 1 takes the genre pick. Player 2 takes the free pick. Gonna go player 2 as destroyer is new to me and I really like it
    airport, lol

Comment

Player 2 overall, never been wild on 1's genre pick

Comment

P2 preferred both genre pick and 2nd pick over player 1's selections
        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

love that labelle track but thought P2's was more interesting.

didn't like that Och track

P2 on both counts

Comment

Going for P1, despite losing the battle of the genre picks (too familiar with Labelle, so The Staves are a great find), as I've never heard that Phil Ochs track before and LOVED it.

Comment

tough one, both players had one great song and one song that didn't do much for me. Score draw IMO

Comment

Player 2

4:1

Comment

P2 for me.

Comment

P1 for me
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                    X