• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King R1 - Folk

P1

Both picks are modern folk.

Devastating in so many ways.

This one is a modern classic in both style and substance. I think this version says it all.

A beautifully raw live version of a Dominic Behan classic, originally championed by The Dubliners, now The Mary Wallopers are putting their tuppence worth in. (I was in London at the tail end of this 'building up and tearing England down era' and it's poignant for me).

P2

A beautiful portrayal of the love one can feel for their homeland and the longing for connection. The song strikes a chord in anyone who has ever felt the pull of nostalgia and the desire to return to a place they hold dear.

The general pick was released in 2010, this indie electronic track perfectly encapsulates the spirit of youth and the thrill of new experiences. The bright synths, and a pulsating beat creates an atmosphere of freedom and adventure that is truly infectious.

Will report back later . Listened to Plooboy Laddie by mistake - which was great btw prefer it to the more popular Caledonia.

Like all 4 of these so far. . Different vibes .

MGMT -KIDs sounds very like naked and fsmous
    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-04-23, 15:08.

Comment

Another difficult round to judge.
      Think I'll have to go with P2 due to the dose of the feels I got from that general track.

I could smell electric picnic
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        Another difficult round to judge.
        Think I'll have to go with P2 due to the dose of the feels I got from that general track.

I could smell electric picnic
        SNAP! preferred P1 folk track, but P2 general track was instant happiness

P2 for the win

Comment

Closeish but P2 wins it for me.

Comment

Going with player 1 - close though . Good round.

Comment

Excellent round here. Have listened back to both genre picks 4 times but couldnt decide which I liked better. Just preferred P2's 2​​​​nd pick
              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Not a huge amount for me here P1 though
                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Close again for sure - going with P1. Not a huge fan of the Lankum track, just don't warm to their sound for whatever reason. Love the Mary Wallopers though, that 2nd track is easily the highlight of the round for me. Quite like Caledonia but probably prefer the Dolores Keane version for the quality of her voice, the Maclean original is bland in comparison I feel. Like that The Naked and Famous track too - was very close in the end.

Comment

Interesting.
                    Player 1 has missed an open goal picking the versions they have.
                    I like the Lankum track but that is IMO a weakish performance and the recording sounds terrible. Plus the video with the original is great.

Mary Wallopers I'm a bit conflicted about, they are purely a festival band. Had a great experience seeing them bang out the rifles of the IRA at 2am in a field in middle England to a delirious crowd who were in tune with a sense of irony that I'm not 100% sure the band themselves get. I also had the misfortune to see them on their latest tour going through the motions in a crowded pub in Ireland where they literally could not be heard, even during the loudest punkiest tunes, over the gobshites chatting loudly. Trying to listen to that great song on this recording was just about as annoying as that.

Nice to hear the original version of Caledonia again, there are better versions but its such a great song. The final track is grand, the kind of thing I'd turn up the radio for but wouldn't really bother looking up.

Player 2
                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 27-04-23, 14:20.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Close, but player 1
                      airport, lol

Comment

Player 2

Comment

I'm going keep the competition anon until the final winner.

Judging by the posting, everyone is acting like they're playing werewolf and wants to stay anonymous.

Comment

Player 1

Comment

5 : 6

Player 2

Comment

Working...
                              X