Music King Road Trip final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Road Trip final

We hit the road again hoping to make it home. The car is rattling so much, we're just praying it holds up on our journey through France to Cherbourg, then onto the ferry home

I've decided for a 3 way final, with 3 choices per finalist, and to vote we assign points out of ten for each one.

3 categories are:

Track 1: UK/Irish Top of the pops number 1 of the 80s

Track 2: Asia (there ya go DP)

Track 3: Africa (looks like people wanted more from this category so decided to add it again to the final)

Thanks Shrap. And good luck gentlemen. May the best music win.

Comment

Selection in , up against the heavyweight Musos here
      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1710723&d=1642373423&type=thumb
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Has HJ flown to Africa to create his entry?
          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Player A

Asia
            Japanese psychadelia- who needs drugs?

Number 1
            Change in choice due to misreading the genre. DOH!

africa
            God bless kexp- feels like cheating
            More guys in headdress playing guitar- from Niger and absolutely ripping it

Last edited by shrapnel; 18-01-22, 05:56.

Comment

Player B

Yazz Ahmed

Incredible trumpet playing from Bahrain

Pretenders - Brass In Pocket

yes this was a 1 no single in the 80's, just about! It still sounds amazing

Kadia Blues is a mournful, reverb drenched slice of contemplation, like a cross between the wild west and early dub music.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Player C

If I have a theme here its mystery, allure, fantasy, the promise of the unknown.

No 1

Even today, 30-odd years after it hit number 1 West End girls has a unique, unmistakable Je Ne C'est Quoi. Sounds of its time, yet timeless. A paean to the mysteries of attraction and what the night can bring. And here's the live version cos it sounds great.

Africa

Mulatu Astatke is the godfather of Ethio-jazz. A mellow, funky, groover from 1972 that gets under the skin and, I think like West End Girls, speaks to the allure and temptation of the night, snaking along the streets and clubs of Addis Ababa rather than London.

Asia

Bit of a risk here but I'm going with the Theme from Monkey (Magic) by Jap rock band Godiego. Some of you might remember the show, I loved its quirky, fantastical quest-based surrealism. You never quit knew what was going on but it was epic and the theme tune some to that. I doesn't sound particularly Asian but does feel how Asian rockers in the 70s might have mimicked western rock and I think it still evokes a heroic, mystical, childlike vibe.

Comment

I just Changed player As number one choice, just in case people have already listened to it

Comment

Player A - Song 1 - Annoying Start to this song, then it improves somewhat but not really that great I’m afraid.

5/10

Player A - Song 2 - Ok song , hmmm what’s going on this is the final right
                    7/10

Player A - Song 3 - Ah , now you are cooking, great song. That rocks – Spotify playlist
                    9/10

Player B - Song 1 Good tune, but not great. Trumpets should never lead . (my taste) Maybe I’ve been spoilt by the African round
                    5/10

Player B – Song 2 Hmm a nostalgic song for me. Great tune and stands the test of time
                    9/10

Player C - Song 3 I like this one, have heard on some Netflix show. Was going to look it up.
                    8/10

Player C – Song 1 - Sorry about this but I HATE the pet shop boys and I blame this song for their success.
                    4/10

Player C – Song 2 - Nice tune.
                    8/10

Player C – Song 3 - Fun show Tripitaka , It’s a catchy theme show song. Hmmm, not sure

5/10

I’m a bit disappointed by the final to be honest. Can we redo this please?

So in order of ranking

B
                    A
                    C

Although I mean B A H. A glitch in the matrix methinks for the final.
                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 18-01-22, 11:31.

Comment

Solskjaer please score each song out of 10

Comment

I haven't voted so far, been super busy, but took some time this morning to listen and here's my scoring (hope I've got the right format for this!)

Player A:

Track 1 (UK/Ire) - 7
                        Track 2 (Asia) - 4
                        Track 3 (Africa) - 10

Player B:

Track 1 (UK/Ire) - 9
                        Track 2 (Asia) - 5
                        Track 3 (Africa) - 5

Player C:

Track 1 (UK/Ire) - 9
                        Track 2 (Asia) - 5
                        Track 3 (Africa) - 7

Don't have time to give any context, sorry about that!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                          Solskjaer please score each song out of 10
                          Added. Is that format ok ?

Comment

Player A:

Track 1 (Asia) - 3/10 mostly due to the 47seconds of opening garbage
                            Track 2 (uk/ire) - 4/10 personal choice here but always hated that song
                            Track 3 (Africa) - 7/10 enjoyed that, peaceful having it on in the background

Player B:

Track 1 (Asia) - 7 great jazzy feel to this, v enjoyable
                            Track 2 (uk/ire) - 8 always a fan of thus song so marked highly, intro always perked me up
                            Track 3 (Africa) - 7 quite enjoyed this too

Player C:

Track 1 (UK/Ire) - 6 didn’t like this version of what is a classic
                            Track 2 (Asia) - 4 brutal
                            Track 3 (Africa) - 7 liked the jazz influence
                            Last edited by Goodluck2me; 19-01-22, 10:12. Reason: Got asia and uk/ire mixed up on first two

Comment

A
                              Asia - 9 Easily the best new discovery of the round for me, top class
                              No1 - 8 it's the kind of song that just seeps into the consciousness but I've ever actually listened to that before this. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected
                              Africa 10 superb

B
                              Asia - 5 quality playing but something a bit lacking in it for me
                              No1 - 8 As good as it gets in this department
                              Africa 9 Also superb

C
                              Asia - 0 Are you havin a larf? It's dire, no redeeming features IMO.
                              No1 - 4 mediocre overrated synth pop.
                              Africa 9 Also superb bit of a safe choice
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I assume finalists can’t vote?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                  I assume finalists can’t vote?
                                  scores won't count, but please feel free to go through the motions

Comment

I almost, almost want to give straight 10s for monkey magic

Fucks sake

Track (Asia) - 3
                                    Track (UK/Ire) - 6
                                    Track (Africa) - 10

Player B:

Track (Asia) - 5
                                    Track (UK/Ire) - 9
                                    Track 3 (Africa) - 4

Player C:

Track (UK/Ire) - drops points for live version, something lacking in that I feel. 7.5
                                    Track 2 (Africa) - 7
                                    Track 3 (Asia) - not sure whether to give it a 9 or a 0.....2
                                    If you had used the song, rather than the clips etc.....It would have been a lot higher
                                    Godiego ‎– Monkey Magic 7" single 1980 BBC Records ‎– RESL 81 Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM3 Track Maxi Single featuring the theme from the BBC TV series "Monkey"Trackli...
                                    Last edited by DeadParrot; 19-01-22, 10:01. Reason: Mixed up Africa/Asia scores on P3
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

scores won't count, but please feel free to go through the motions
                                      I leave it a bit- some polarising (and insane) picks here- should be some good swings

Comment

I leave it a bit- some polarising (and insane) picks here- should be some good swings
                                        Scores are all over the shop. Its brilliant! Its like the ranking system has stuck a bridle on everyone and now they're just letting loose. Love it.

Will be voting tomorrow personally.

Comment

Number ones

Player A - This is a great pick, a song I haven't heard in a long time. Sounds real fresh still. 8

Player B - Another great pick, solid choice, again sounding fresh. 8

Player C - Pet Shop Boys have never done anything for me, sorry. Never could take Tennant's vocal. I think a studio version may have scored higher though. 5

Asia

Player A - This was banging. That bass riff throughout is fucking deadly. One point dropped because I'd have no idea they were Japanese if you didn't say so. 9

Player B - Really loved this. Got lost in it. So hard to believe something like that, with that beat, is coming out of Bahrain. Was gonna give a 9, but listened again and can't justify that, so 10

Player C - lol, that's fucking madcap. I do remember Monkey Magic, not the show itself but something to do with singing it and playing it as a kid. Really fun video, but unfort the music is, while funny, awful. 3

Africa

Player A - This is stunningly good, in all sorts of mind blowing ways. I fucking loved it. Sloppy guitar in places but fuck that so what. Can I score more than a 10? 10

Player B - What an incredible vibe, described so well in your blurb. Like nothing I've heard before. Very Tarantino, in fact the wailing guitar sounds like something from Pulp Fiction that I can't place right now. 9

Player C - Funky cool, real enjoyable listen, redeeming player C somewhat for me. Give this an 8

Well done lads, tyvm for some really great music. Enjoyed this immensely.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#212121]Player B - Song 1 Good tune, but not great. Trumpets should never lead . (my taste) Maybe I’ve been spoilt by the African round
                                            This man wants a quiet (!) word

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

This man wants a quiet (!) word

Louis understood the colours of the rainbow therefore the 'my taste' disclaimer is for the trumpet fans My granny loved him.

Comment

Player A

number 1 - decent track but gives bad flashbacks of nightclubs full of assholes doing the running man trying to look cool - 6

Asia - took a while to get going but was really getting into it by the end and hoping for it to continue. great track overall- 9

Africa - another great track - 9

Player B

number 1 - never was a big fan of the pretenders, but this is still a very good track -7

Asia - not my jam-but still sounds great- 8

Africa - lots to like in this one- great track- 9

Player C

number 1- never was a fan. always thought it was poor synth pop- this for me was the crappy part of the 80s scene- 4

Asia- loved that series-it's terrible but fond memories of it, so gets an extra point for nostalgia and humour- 6 (you probably know this but damon albarn wrote the music for the monkey musical, called journey to the west, and it's a fantastic album)

Africa - great track- 9

Comment

I'll throw in the towel at this stage - looks like my Monkey Magic joke fell a bit flat Guess it wasn't the time for humour.

And the lack of love for Pet Shop Boys baffles me. The Guardian voted it the best single of the decade - so pah!

Anyway I can honestly say I'd call it a draw between my vanquishers - six great tracks, I'll dig more into the African and Asian selections of both. Well played both
                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 19-01-22, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                    I'll throw in the towel at this stage - looks like my Monkey Magic joke fell a bit flat Guess it wasn't the time for humour.

And the lack of love for Pet Shop Boys baffles me. The Guardian voted it the best single of the decade - so pah!

Anyway I can honestly say I'd call it a draw between my vanquishers - six great tracks, I'll dig more into the African and Asian selections of both. Well played both
                                                    You brainfarted Benny akin to when the mob spurned the magnitude of my Phil Lynnott son interview (greenhorns) between this and Beyonce i'm sure your account has been hacked . A surprisingly lightweight final imo

Need Lao Lao in the next one . Enjoyed his Spotify list .

Comment

Far from a lightweight final imo. Some incredible stuff there.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                        Far from a lightweight final imo. Some incredible stuff there.

Comment

well that was a very close final.

Player B has 154 points, followed very closely by Player A on 153 points. Benny, a long way off on 119.5

Congrats to Our new Music King champion, HJ!!!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot for doing this Shrap , that was a very enjoyable musical escapade . Especially the African round , it was anti climatic after that round for me.

To all .
                                                            I wonder if we could have a MUSIC thread Sticky. We could adda tracks every so often to it. Spotify lists, Music news etc. Call it Music for Friday Nights thread

Comment

Wow! I didn't think I was going to win that. Thanks a lot to Shrap, that was great fun.

Here's my favorite current band doing a Fela Kuti number to celebrate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnKDK1iklo

Comment

Congrats HJ and thanks Shrap for running, good format- I would say UL Benny but nothing unlucky about picking Monkey Madness!

GFY Solks and GLTMe , here is an extended version of my Asian song with and even longer intro

Comment

WP HectorJelly - not the first time I've been beaten by you in a final - and very unlucky MG. Two finals in a row is a great achievement.

And many thank Shrapnel for running an excellent comp. Nice travelogue idea! Hope the next host brings their A game too.

Comment

Congrats HJ and thanks Shrap for running, good format- I would say UL Benny but nothing unlucky about picking Monkey Madness!

GFY Solks and GLTMe , here is an extended version of my Asian song with and even longer intro

Gave it another listen . Nice. I dont get how its a best asian pick in any mans competition. Its aimless .

And to think the great Jacques was mocked .

Comment

We’ll done HJ, and hard luck MysteryG

Comment

Just when I thought I couldn’t give less than 3…. It’s a ONE

Comment

Working...
                                                                        X