Musi King Road Trip-Round 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musi King Road Trip-Round 7

We've sold the van. it was just too big for the 4 of us. Instead we bought an old banger. an old school Citroen DS, with parts from about 20 different cars. we look like pimps riding around Africa in this but it feels and looks great. All we hope is it gets us home, which still feels a long way away.

we head straight north, get the ferry in Morocco and head up through Spain. everything starts to look familiar again. We're almost there.

Theme: Europe (minus UK and Ireland)

The most fucking arse backwards world tour ever.
    Still annoyed you never hit asia
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      I know.

Had a great Asian song by UB40 lined up n'all
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        I had every intention to if there had been more people in the van. Wanted to go to Australia then asia then through continental Europe,but ended up having to shorten the trip.

Comment

Yeah fk you Shrap i had a great song from Madagascar to post . Although it might be from Hollywood written for the Movie Madagascar.

Does this count as Asian

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

I had every intention to if there had been more people in the van. Wanted to go to Australia then asia then through continental Europe,but ended up having to shorten the trip.
            Mindful of clogging the thread but have to say the format is excellent. I think the single thread with all entries should be the template for future MK games.

Comment

A

Yiu may approve of this one. Sticking my neck out again.

Sorry to bring the gang of 4 DOWN - Long before Sinead O’Connor cried into the camera to much acclaim , this master performance of raw emotion and artistry destroyed those of a sensitive soul.
              The song itself is so powerful, translated into English and recorded by a few artists -> IF YOU GO AWAY , some of you might recognise more.
              However this performance is just stunning. This gives the emotions the ride that the African music did to our souls.

Ne me quitte pas, Jacques Brel - YouTube

Comment

B

Danit - Cuatro Vientos (Rey&Kjavik Remix)

Danit is a Swiss singer who released a beautiful album back in 2017. This quite understated remix (by a German DJ) stays very true to the original, but increases the tempo a little and makes it a little more accessible.

Comment

C

The maestro is dead. Long live the maestro. Unsurpassed in modern European music. Probably unsurpassable.

Comment

D

Going to keep it simple (like this guy usually deceptively does)
                    my fav track off a fantastic album by a guy mostly know for minimal piano compositions (which I also loved) up until releasing this album
                    i believe this is a live recording- bit of a time investment but it’s Saturday night so put the headphones on and prepare for transport
                    ps he’s German

Comment

Really strong round. Enjoyed every one of those immensely.

Pretty difficult to rank.

A - What a powerful raw performance, not sure I've seen anything like it.

B - this was really really cool. Wasn't sure at the start but it grew legs really quickly. Has a Cuban feel to it I thought, which is a winning vibe imo.

C - thought when I read Ennio that it was a safe choice but no, that was stunning, visually and aurally.

D - Again it grew legs pretty quickly. Transported is the correct word. I can't wait to listen to that on a run.

Very very tough to pick a winner here. Very close.

D
                      B
                      C
                      A

Comment

A i grew up on this stuff. it's sublime. Funnily enough Edith Piaf was well known for hating jacques brel and especially that performance. Seeing him cry like that on stage, was, for her, just ridiculous and pathetic. It's well worth digging out the translation, as it's a very powerful song.

B-fantastic. loved it

C difficult to go wrong with that choice. one of my big regrets was not going to see him in concert, especially when he was in dublin and played at the kilmainham hospital

D- This is great also. proper come down music

Very tough to put them in any order

A
                        B
                        D
                        C

Comment

Great round far and away the best of the comp

Any of the top three coulda shoulda oughta have won it

B Loved this new to me and looking forward to hearing more, great pick.
                          A I assumed this would win the round, Great stuff the performance is great but I would have preferred a better recording and its not one of my favourite of his songs
                          C Nils is great, this is not a track I know well and that was a good thing, would have won any other round in the comp
                          D The Morricone was the only disappointment poor track selection, don't get me wrong I love him but to say he is unsurpassed in modern European music is crazy talk, Arvo Part and Ligiti to are just two of the names that jump straight to mind as standing head and shoulders above Enio.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

D – Great mellow selection. Isn’t doing much you think then it is. Excellent.
                            C – Not much to say except a great version of a classic piece of music. Timeless.

B – No bad really buy a bit dry for my taste. Kinda wallpaper music. Might have been better with a live video.
                            A – OK but not his best. Think I agree with Edith Piaf about the crying

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              Great round far and away the best of the comp

Any of the top three coulda shoulda oughta have won it

B Loved this new to me and looking forward to hearing more, great pick.
                              A I assumed this would win the round, Great stuff the performance is great but I would have preferred a better recording and its not one of my favourite of his songs
                              C Nils is great, this is not a track I know well and that was a good thing, would have won any other round in the comp
                              D The Morricone was the only disappointment poor track selection, don't get me wrong I love him but to say he is unsurpassed in modern European music is crazy talk, Arvo Part and Ligiti to are just two of the names that jump straight to mind as standing head and shoulders above Enio.
                              You got c and d mixed up

Comment

B
                                D
                                C
                                A

Had my write up done but stupidly did it on the site and lost i t. havent the heart to go again..new songs to me the top 2 so they edge it.

Great round must play the swedish one for the missus

Comment

B
                                  D
                                  C
                                  A

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

You got c and d mixed up
                                    Thanks

B
                                    A
                                    D
                                    C

Is correct
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

C- have listened to this about a billion times- never gets old- was going to subtract marks as not new to me but cannae do it
                                      D- great stuff -
                                      B- nice
                                      A- could have done without the video- what a phoney
                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

results are in and it looks like Brel was crying after losing out in this round. and who wouldn't?

so bye bye to solks who stays on in spain to fiesta

D Mystery guest 19
                                        B HJ 18
                                        C Benny 12
                                        A Solks 11

Comment

Damn i needed more women voting

Enjoyed that . So ive 6 tracks to listen to at work tomorrow. . Keep up the high standard gents . Last 2 rounds were great .

Comment

Phew. Unlucky Solks. I was sure I was a gonner after the first few votes, but realised I might only need one first to get back in the game. Thanks MG!

In retrospect I should have opted for a much deeper Morricone cut.

And as for SPs assertion that Arvo Part and Ligeti are head and shoulders above Morricone, well I simply can't agree. A quick glance at Discogs shows Part and Legeti on about 250 pages of entries compared to Morricone on nearly 1,300. So for sheer prodigiousness they can't come close. Lazy you might call them.

Then we look at mastery of style and its indisputable that Morricone could (and did) turn his hand to any and all styles, time and time again, including his experimental, improvisational early work which shows just how far he would come. Over 500 soundtracks recorded, capturing every human emotion imaginable. Part and Legati would shite the bed if you asked them to do that

Morricone has also won almost twice as many awards as Arvo Part and Legeti. We know how these guys like their ego stroked.

Finally I don't think Arvo Part could conduct a bus never mind and orchestra and choir of hundreds of players and singers.

In short Morricone could do EVERYTHING they could but they could not do everything he could. At least that's my belief and I'm sticking to it!
                                            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 16-01-22, 18:07.

Comment

Working...
                                            X