Music King Road Trip- Round 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Road Trip- Round 6

The van seems way too big for the few of us still in here. No one's heard from DP, and memories are hazy. Last sighting was2 days ago when he was being led away by a pack of beautiful shemales. not sure he knew what he was getting himself in for, but he looked incredibly happy about it.

we drive east to the coast and hop on a cargo ship.

We finally land in Dakar and head into the capital late at night. the fumes and spices are otherworldly after Brazil, we feast on goat curries and local beers. it's time to find a bar and enjoy the local night life

Theme: Africa

Hopefully the no YEKE YEKE rule is implied

This round intrigues me more . Looking forward to these entries

Comment

A

I'm guessing this round will be a funk-off. Doesn't get much more outrageously funky than the Nigerian high-life king Orlando Julius. Hope I can see him live one day - have seen this band (The Heliocentrics) backing another afro-heavyweight who I was tempted to post (interested to see if anyone else does, not sure if he's ever been on MK, might keep him for another day) but I just keep coming back to this for the good times and how much fun he seems to be having.

Comment

B

Petite Noir - Chess

I absolutely love this song, the standout track from a great album. The whole thing is a beautiful mish-mash of influences from all over the world. It's not hard to hear shades of joy division and Depeche mode. Yannick is Congolese but grew up and lived in South Africa.

The video is a good laugh too.

Comment

C

I've been building a World playlist over the last couple of years, adding and listening to it now and again. It's 90% African. My 2nd favourite track on it is a song called 'Water from an ancient well' from an artist introduced to me by our awesome host Shrap in a previous game of MK. Jazz artist Abdullah Ibrahim.
          I didn't pick it because tbh, it's quite a western sound, to my ear anyway. My favourite track on it is the one Shrap introduced us to before, so obv I can't select that.
          ​​​​​​

I've gone instead for the thumping vibrancy of African youth. This track is just buzz, so energetic. The video is a pure joy too.

From Ghana, Bisa Kdei - Mansa

Comment

D

I wanted to post a Miriam Makeba number - A very interesting life. The Youtube quality vids were not great of the one I wanted to post.

I also tried to avoid the 7 seconds away track with Nina Cherry as it’s brilliant but a bit too obvious maybe. SO many great songs.
            I’m kind of cheating on this one though , I stumbled upon it when looking for a diff Youssi track to link. I’ve only heard this TODAY for the 1st time so I’ve no back story or insights
            I love it - its GREAT plus I want to do that dodgy dancing with those guys. (perfect for a 50 something pair of pegs) The rest of the day will be African Music in the background. It’s the best genre so far. Wish I had more time to jump into it.

Comment

E

Not an underground choice by any means but love listening to these guys a lot of it’s real bluesy- was a struggle to pick one but I’ll go with this as clear achel probably overplayed a bit - they are Tight live

Comment

Oooh my arsecheeks will get a workout today some of these look EPIC . GREAT GENRE .

Comment

Yeah I agree, great stuff, can't wait to devour it all.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

As I like this genre, I’m listening to 2 tracks from each artist mentioned below. In Order of Preference will be later on a different post. I can’t separate them at the moment. So I’ll spend the day working with these in the background. I’ve listened to a lot of African music over the past few years and somehow missed most of these. Expansive genre

Music King Delivers , my initial thoughts. - .

In order of listening.

A - Orlando J - Listened to this track and the track after it on youtube not sure what it’s called . AFH826? Sooo goood (let me know please for spotify purposes) . The 2nd track was even better - Loved them both though. Great start.

B - Petite Noir Wasn’t gone on this at the start but it grew on me rather quickly after that. Very retro , good pick. Listened to Shadows also. His voice is Tony Hanleyesque on it. Cool Will check him out again. Chess is very good alright. Gave it a 2nd listen to do it more justice. A new fan.

C- Bisa Kadel - Can’t fault this. Sounds very Asian in parts (minus the dramatic music) Liked it. 2nd track of theirs I listened to Brother Brother - very good indeed.

D - Love this track - 2nd track was different with the drumming intro - very good stuff . Retro afro

E - TINARWEN - Watching the vid on this, very Hypnotic . Give it a couple of listens to appreciate it. 2nd track – Sastanàqqàm , not as good as the 1st one I thought - then BOOM takes off . Another one for my Spotify list - Tinawen had a new fan. Soulful stuff.

How the hell do I judge these , will send about 5 pm.

Comment

i like the way solks did it above also, as i genuinely enjoyed them all

A-Great track, great fun. loved it

B-this took me by surprise. very unafrican which is why it's probably so surprising, but great track nonetheless

C- love the track, love the video. the only weird thing is like it feels like the track resets every 90 seconds, and then starts up again. great anyway

D- Great fun- really basic afro pop you just want to get up and dance.

E- Huge fan of Tinariwen (i think i introduced them to MK about 10 years ago ), seen them in concert and was a little disappointed to see the women were not on stage . Great track

Comment

tough to put them in order as i enjoyed them all

A
                        B
                        E
                        C
                        D

Comment

A vag hair between all of these. Great round. I think you need to leave the Van in the garage and do this genre again for the next round.
                          E
                          A
                          B
                          C
                          D

Comment

Cracking round of MK. Orlando Julius stealing the show for me. Absolutely loved that. The Tinarwen track is superb too. They were all great. Rhythms off the scale.

A
                            E
                            C
                            B
                            D

​​

Comment

Close round.

B – not very African sounding on first listen but really great nonetheless! I guess it blows up the preconceived notion of what African music has to sound like. Lovely stuff. `Defiinte Joy division influence.

A – funky, fresh, and petty fly for some white guys backing an auld black fell on the horny horn.

E – Great track. Kinda western structure to it which makes it easy to get into.

C- nice sunny vibe to this one. Liked the dancing too. Sounds a bit like Buffalo Gals!

D – Better than last place suggests. Sound slike several songs in one which I like, lots of interesting instrumental noodling in the background. Maybe a bit too long though and the dancing isn’t as good as C.

Comment

Great round, no duds,Enjoyed all of them but top 3 for me are ones I’ll be seeking out more of not sure I will with the other 2
                                A- a blast really enjoyed it
                                E-loved this
                                B- also loved this
                                D- enjoyed this And C just didn’t stand out as much as the top 3 for me
                                C
                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

E Very unusual, I really enjoyed this. A weird but great mix of middle east/jazz/african influences. It reminds me a little of Ry Cooder

B Absolutely love this, pop classic

D Fun, good beat

A good but not great, sounds a little dated and lowkey, without being a classic. There are similar artists around now that this reminds me of that are a little better, eg sons of Kemet, koroko. That said this would be in the top few of most other rounds because it is good music played by good musicians

C Fun, enjoyable listen, but sounds the production sounds a little lightweight. There are some awkward transitions

Tough round to score, this was the strongest round by far. I had to listen twice to order them.

Comment

E - I'm familar with this and as mentioned earlier, it seemed a little easier to get into with the structure
                                    A -Funky as fuck
                                    D- Ha good craic this one
                                    C-Step up africa?

B- I dunno, this left me cold, no entirley sure why

At least they were all african this round I guess
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Good round but slightly disappointing empahsis on pop and that well known festival circuit regs like Tinarawen win easily

E Tinarawen should not be wining this round
                                      B Best of the rest
                                      A
                                      D
                                      C So Ghana but not in the good way IMO
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Sadly Lazare has fallen foul of the African Guinness, and has decided to stay on and build a business, selling refrigerated blinds to the African people. God knows they could use them over there! it's fucking roasting!
                                        Mysteryguest E 31
                                        BennyHiFi A 29
                                        HJ B 24
                                        Solksjaer D 17
                                        Lazare C 14

Comment

The top 3 were a lock I guess. I even got them in the right order. My entry was a spur of the moment thing as it got me on 1st listen . However I think the other 4 tracks were better so UL Lazare .
                                          I enjoyed that round more than any MK rounds in the past. Well done Shrap.
                                          As SP suggests there are many many great Africans clips. For those not in this round , who not attach a clip of your fav one? I’d love to see more and it’s definitely a genre that I want to be exposed to a lot more. If anyone has a Spotify list of Great African music, please link it . The music is very uplifting and that’s how the world should be post covid (yeah we are nearing post covid , ask Andyfatbastard)

Comment

For Solks

i used these girls in a previous round and they were the last concert i went to before lockdown. it was one of the best concerts i'd ever been to

Comment

Ah yeah, that was a great round. Good to go out with a pick that was well received.

Great management Shrap.

Comment

​​​​​​Only doing this because Willie asked, but was a toss up between this and the one I went with. Didn't pick it because it's a collab with Ry Cooder and thought I'd get the same stick as last round. Then HJ goes and mentions Ry Cooder. FFS

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  ​​​​​​Only doing this because Willie asked, but was a toss up between this and the one I went with. Didn't pick it because it's a collab with Ry Cooder and thought I'd get the same stick as last round. Then HJ goes and mentions Ry Cooder. FFS

I would have put this in the top 2

Comment

Yep top 3 anyway. Plus Shraps ones . C

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

great track man. definitely top 3 for me!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                        For Solks

i used these girls in a previous round and they were the last concert i went to before lockdown. it was one of the best concerts i'd ever been to

Fucking amazing stuff Shrap. Seeking out more of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                        X