Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music King road trip- Round 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Music King road trip- Round 5

    After a couple of weeks R&R in this little corner of paradise, living off coconuts, fish, plantain and weed, everyone feels re-energised and ready to hit the road again. We trek back to the van, happy to find it still in one piece.

    We drive over the Andes, across and down Venezuela, into Brazil and down to Manaus, just in time for the Parintins festival. The place is heaving. Caipirinhas are flowing, it's gonna be one hell of a party.

    Theme: South America

    #2
    Cheers Shrap. It's a slow game this time and it gives us plenty of time to stew when a blasphemer dares to speak badly of our babies

    Some good ones this round tbfair .

    Comment


      #3
      Ez game
      https://youtu.be/9cQlVww0zKo

      Comment


        #4
        FFS MG I'm gonna have to pick another one now
        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 09-01-22, 09:29.

        Comment


          #5
          just one entry missing. playas be keen this round. hopefully i get it soon and can get them out there. famous last words no doubt!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
            just one entry missing. playas be keen this round. hopefully i get it soon and can get them out there. famous last words no doubt!
            Sorry craziness abounds at home. Haven't been online all weekend really.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

            Comment


              #7
              A


              ​​​​​​A bit last minute but one hell of a groove to get down to.
              That hook will get in your bones.

              Comment


                #8
                B

                That’s a folk festival right- so I’ve pulled back from full on party on gone with this from one of the few South American bands I know well ( purely as Isaw them open for arcade fire once and blown the roof off and dug into them)
                this is a great performance of a cool song and it’s South American as hell (they are Colombian)- no idea what they are singing about btw


                Comment


                  #9
                  C

                  Marcos Valle is the epitome of Brazilian 70s psychedelic cool. Not only that but he pissed off the government and was hunted out of the country, exiled to the US for many year. Was lucky enough to see him live. A living legend. And there's flute in this. Never enough flute. Laid back, funky, fruity and wee bit revolutionary as well.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    D

                    Instant pick for this one for me. This album is fucking amazing, I wore my ears out with it. Manu Chao isn't South American, he's Spanish, but this album is peppered with all sorts of world vibes, all with a Latin flavour. Arabic, French, Spanish, English, and this my favourite track on it, Brazilian Portuguese. It's one of the sexiest tracks I've ever heard.

                    Manu Chao - Homens

                    Comment


                      #11
                      E

                      I could have played it very safe here with an Astrid Gilberto number however I went rogue on myself here . Did you know punk rock was invented in Lima ? THIRTEEN YEARS before the UK took off . Now I only found this out when looking for a Mexican punk band on YouTube a few years ago. So I guess for a sample of early 60s Peruvian culture (albeit not exactly mainstream) I decided to link these boys .I dont expect many will love it but meh...history innit.

                      I'll still vote when I'm knocked out i promise



                      Comment


                        #12
                        F

                        This song has been sampled a few times, but the original is best.

                        Totó la Momposina is from a musical family in Colombia, she came to worldwide attention in the nineties releasing an album on Peter Gabriel's label.

                        This is a traditional Colombian song, with flutes (called gaitas) and drums playing a traditional lumbalu beat, normally reserved for weddings and funerals. It's a great example of the melting pot that is South American music, with influences from Spain and West Africa.

                        Curura by Tóto La Momposina

                        Comment


                          #13



                          F Loved this, so full of life!


                          C Great, very enjoyable. I love how varied it is, there are about 4 different moods displayed in the first minute! A complete contrast from the next song. Good Brazillian music is so vibrant.

                          B I quite enjoyed this. A little sedate for my taste, but good musicianship and nice vibes

                          E interesting as a cultural artifact, but I didn't really enjoy it. There's better proto-punk from Australia

                          D Nearly half a billion people live in South America, so it seems a bit silly to pick a singer from Spain for this entry. The song is fine but its a little monotonous, it's just a beat with some singing that with no changes for the full length, and I don't think the beat is that interesting to warrant it

                          A Hated it. no me gusta average reggaeton

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Will send votes later , crazy day ahead . On 1st listen I cant find 1 I love tbh. Sorry musk boyz .... Bring back hip hop. seems like we've avoided the apparent gold mine of South American music. The voting will be interesting

                            Comment


                              #15
                              C Really great. I've heard this plenty of times without ever knowing what it was
                              E- this is great fun- never heard this and love it
                              B- really enjoyed this
                              F- really enjoyed this also
                              D- i'm a Manu fan boy also and really surprised to vote it so low. love this (although far from being my fav) but favored originality over a Franco-Spanish dude
                              A- Love the hook but it's tough to compete with above

                              Comment


                                #16
                                F head and shoulders above the rest
                                D nice
                                E not sure this invents punk but its good
                                C Maybe its the recording or production but it feels like it doesn't sound as good as it should
                                B Something lacking here missing that bit of fizz
                                A fizz, on the other hand is all this has.
                                Turning millions into thousands

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Had a lunchtime window listen. So 2 listens per tracks . I'm far from an expert on this genre so going off ear wormability.



                                  Familiarity breeds - hmmmm
                                  So stuck on the headphones to give these a 2nd listen . One or two born fruit on a 2nd listen.
                                  B - This is better on the 2nd listen, found my office chair swaying.
                                  E - I just can't believe this is so old. I can see what it's influenced. Innovators for sure.
                                  F- For my personal taste this is a bit crowded , it’s doesn’t take off for me, it like something you’d knead bread to.
                                  A- Sue me I like this ,I could jog along to it though due to the hook . Benefits from a 2nd listen
                                  C- Never heard this before, better with the earphones on. REminds me of the ol TV Programme Daktari.
                                  It's has levels which appeals to me so wins this round .
                                  D- I was at a MANU Gig back in the point 2003/4. I hated it I'm afriad. (the gig). This though is good.


                                  IN Order of Preference.

                                  C
                                  B
                                  E
                                  D
                                  F
                                  A

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    D - really enjoyed would listen again
                                    B - also kinda imagine sitting in a bar listening to this
                                    A - can’t deny the catchy beat
                                    C - not bad, a little repetitive
                                    F - was going to score highly until that nonsense at the 2min mark
                                    E - why? Why??!

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Manu Chao isn't South American, he's Spanish
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        E – fuck yeah. Not in the mold of trad SA vibes but all the better for it. That ratty, raw garage band sound is right up my dark alley. Haven’t heard of these guys but definitely want to hear more. Goes to the top for having the balls to stick your neck out.

                                        F – Really good. Love that west African influence. I have a great album of music from Palanque, Colombia and it sounds like this. Very rhythm heavy. Bit risky for me I felt but glad someone chose it!

                                        B – Seems very authentic. Excellent musicianship, variety. Would happily pay to see them live.

                                        C – haha… I found an original of this record in a dusty shop in Bangalore once for about a euro and it is worth about e200 (double that if I could have got all the bloody grime off it). True story. Have seen him live too. Nice.

                                        A – sounds kind familiar. That persistent hook. Hmmm… looks like its not sampled but deffo nicked from something. Anyway, only OK TBH. Wanted to like it more but it seems a bit… I dunno… ineffectual. Polite. Ruff up the beats and a different vocalist and it could have been a very different proposition. And by the end that instrumental hook was a bit annoying. Needs more variety.

                                        D – hmmm… I think he was probably once actually cool but then was completely co-opted by the hippies, the left, the not-so-outside outsiders, the weak hash smokers, the Spaniards, always the Spaniards with bad dreads…. I think I probably liked this when I first heard it but sadly familiarity has bred contempt here…

                                        good round. Best yet. Fear I might have been a bit harsh on old Manu Chao but he'll forever remind me of attending a G8 summit protest in Genoa maybe 20 years ago and every sound system was playing it and it just put me right off - change the tune people (in more ways than one, that was also the beginning of the end of my political activism but that's another story). Sorry whoever picked it.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Have to be honest and say I struggled through that. It's a me thing. Once we venture south of Mexico I struggle with the taste buds. Brazilian Samba a bit of an exception. Liked that KEXP session though and would listen to that full set.


                                          B
                                          A
                                          D
                                          C
                                          E
                                          F
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Bit of a world music round this one
                                            B - love this nice sound
                                            F- fits the bill , interesting
                                            C-interesting
                                            E- ballsy pick don’t love it but points for showing some stones
                                            A- not my bag
                                            D- manu chao- actually listened to this guy a lot when younger- he’s up there with a few others like Sublime that I now can’t stand- can’t put my finger on it - happens with movies too-

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              B I'd have that all day, nice track
                                              F Puts me in the mind of a few other tracks, can't quite put me hand on it.
                                              C ohh I like this one
                                              A a good oul hip waggler. ober a billion views can't be wrong.
                                              E Ha wasn't expecting that
                                              D not south american, so...automatically last imo.
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                very close round for most, other than DP, who gets lost in the favellas of Manaus and never makes it back to the van
                                                BennyHiFi C 33
                                                Mysteryguest B 31
                                                HJ F 30
                                                Solksjaer E 27
                                                Lazare D 26
                                                DP A 16

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                  E – fuck yeah. Not in the mold of trad SA vibes but all the better for it. That ratty, raw garage band sound is right up my dark alley. Haven’t heard of these guys but definitely want to hear more. Goes to the top for having the balls to stick your neck out.

                                                  F – Really good. Love that west African influence. I have a great album of music from Palanque, Colombia and it sounds like this. Very rhythm heavy. Bit risky for me I felt but glad someone chose it!

                                                  B – Seems very authentic. Excellent musicianship, variety. Would happily pay to see them live.

                                                  C – haha… I found an original of this record in a dusty shop in Bangalore once for about a euro and it is worth about e200 (double that if I could have got all the bloody grime off it). True story. Have seen him live too. Nice.

                                                  A – sounds kind familiar. That persistent hook. Hmmm… looks like its not sampled but deffo nicked from something. Anyway, only OK TBH. Wanted to like it more but it seems a bit… I dunno… ineffectual. Polite. Ruff up the beats and a different vocalist and it could have been a very different proposition. And by the end that instrumental hook was a bit annoying. Needs more variety.

                                                  D – hmmm… I think he was probably once actually cool but then was completely co-opted by the hippies, the left, the not-so-outside outsiders, the weak hash smokers, the Spaniards, always the Spaniards with bad dreads…. I think I probably liked this when I first heard it but sadly familiarity has bred contempt here…

                                                  good round. Best yet. Fear I might have been a bit harsh on old Manu Chao but he'll forever remind me of attending a G8 summit protest in Genoa maybe 20 years ago and every sound system was playing it and it just put me right off - change the tune people (in more ways than one, that was also the beginning of the end of my political activism but that's another story). Sorry whoever picked it.
                                                  From now on I’m going to avoid listening and just pick yours in reverse to save time

                                                  Comment


                                                    #26
                                                    Hit tip to HJ and Mystery Guest for putting their own at number one too

                                                    Comment


                                                      #27
                                                      Absolute bollox.
                                                      I'll pick the beatles next time under synth pop if the rules mean nothing
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

                                                      Comment


                                                        #28
                                                        Felt sure I would falter at this round. I was happy to die on that sword . Too tasty a pick for me to ignore . Definite marmite . It wasnt about the best punk track to be found it was the significance of it. Punk is essentially more about the feeling and less about musicianship. When the Beatles were making teenagers scream with love me do. These guys were far off in Lima projecting past the Beatles .


                                                        Joe you gave me a Titter with your Why Why comment

                                                        Comment


                                                          #29
                                                          Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                          Absolute bollox.
                                                          I'll pick the beatles next time under synth pop if the rules mean nothing
                                                          If the bus van stops in Liverpool you can pick Lulu .

                                                          YNWA .

                                                          Comment


                                                            #30
                                                            Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                            Absolute bollox.
                                                            I'll pick the beatles next time under synth pop if the rules mean nothing
                                                            The singer is everything in that track and she's Brazilian.
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

                                                            Comment


                                                              #31
                                                              Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                              Hit tip to HJ and Mystery Guest for putting their own at number one too
                                                              mixed strategy innit

                                                              Comment

                                                              Working...
                                                              X