Music King Road Trip- Round 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Road Trip- Round 4

We hit the road once again. and drive through central america into Colombia. We follow the coast up to Cartagena, then baranquilla then on past Santa Marta, where we finally make it to Tayrona, a beautiful national park along the coast, untainted by civilisation. We park the bus then trek for a couple of hours through the jungle to finally get to the beaches. we walk another few miles in the dark, getting off the beaten track and find a lovely little creek with no one around.

It's been a gruelling few days of driving, and everyone's glad of the respite. It's late and everyone's knackered. we set our hamacs up amongst the coconut trees, and drift off into dreamland listening to the lapping waves on the beach.

You wake up first and discover where you actually are. a little corner of paradise. golden sands, endless coconut trees, strong powerful sea crashing along the rocks, and not a soul in sight. You grab the ghetto blaster and put the best song for the occasion, a chill, happy track ensuring everyone wakes up with a smile on their face.

Theme: free choice based on the occasion.

A

The perfect song to sit back and enjoy a beer to as the waves crash over the beach.

KOKOROKO - Ti De

Comment

B

There's a light flitting between the shadows that stirs me awake. It's a mellow warm sun and a cool breeze on my one bare leg over the sheet.
      What a great night. Stretch, and tentatively get from the hammock I found my way into sometime last night.
      It's one of those amazing post session mornings where I don't feel good. I feel fucking AMAZING.
      And I can could eat a breakfast or two.
      I bet everyone is the same. Bar Trippie. Did he really just melt into the night with those two senoritas? Mad fucker. Sure, we'll catch up down the road.

I get the coffee going. Strong enough a spoon would stand straight up in the cup and some genius has a cooler bag of denny rashers and there's eggs I can scramble on the pan.
      I can hear movement from behind the curtains that somehow pass for walls in this little hut and the sea is calling like that girl from that one time all those years ago.
      The radio crackles half buried in the sand and it's that song that has a good vibe even though the lyrics are a little sad, ha its even about the hip hop groove from last night.
      Shit man.
      It's gonna be a good day. People are getting up, the heady aroma of bacon and coffee could move the moving dead sometimes.
      Lets eat some fucking breakfast.

Comment

C

Your order of chill and happy (new year) is served

Comment

D

Spent a good while thinking on this one- mainly as I misread description and was looking for something for the night not the morning
          had a few contenders but this fits the brief pretty perfectly I think

Comment

E

Fishbone were a Los Angeles crossover funk/punk band with REAL soul in the late 80s/early 90s. But they were the one that got away. They should have been as big as Red Hot Chili Peppers whose early trajectory they mirrored, soon signing to a major label and having everything lined up for them but it just didn't happen as they shot themselves in the foot too many times and the business lost patience. They could pull 1,000 fans in any city, largely on word of mouth alone and their live shows were absolutely incendiary - I was lucky enough to witness one in Vancouver around 1994. Their style was unique - ska and heavy metal in one track, really? - and they always put a smile on my face. Every day I listen to Fishbone the sun shines in my mind.

Comment

F

This song was a major part of the soundtrack to my summer just gone. Waking up on that beach, I can't think of a better vibe than this.

Comment

G

This is easy for me. 1st heard this live on a hot summers day and was actually moved . I was a tiny hit high and drunk on the occasion and as I lay on the grass under the shuffling feet of the crowd I had my eyes closed under the shades . Maybe it was the juice in my blood but both eyes were full of happy tears and they both leaked down both cheeks .

. Everytime I hear this I feel it .

Comment

Perfect timing Shrap . Listened to them all doing a mundane Spreadsheet update . My off the top my head Mark's below .
                  Not a bad actual track there . One of them took me by surprise

D – Gilles Paterson - Love this track , believe it or not I like to drive to it when it’s raining similar to 1st track on Moon Safari. For some reason it’s suits the rain and the sun. Hope I had the right track .

E - Fishbone - Hue and Cry , meets relish meets the Christians. What’s not to love.

G- Carlos - Majestic.

B Childish Gambino. Meets the remit all right. I can’t remember where I heard this before , wracking my brains. Maybe it’s his George Michael falsetto.

F- Bob Marley - As they say a banger. Can’t deny it’s not great.

A – Kokoroko - Nice , need to be chilling in South America for this vibe. Would like a bit more happening in it. Funnily enough when it was over the very next song of theirs popped up and it was great .

C – Pink Martini – Hmmm, not sure what to make of this. Did I click the wrong link?

D wins this by a mile for me but maybe it’s because the track was already in my veins.

Comment

D - Gilles Paterson very nice
                    G Carlos - nice
                    A - KOKOROKO nice
                    F - ok, but this wouldn't be in my top 5 bob marly tunes
                    B - Childish Gambino fine
                    C- Pink Martini - this is kind of fun, although wildly off brief.
                    E- Fishbone - The world doesn't need 1 red hot chilli pepper, never mind 2. I'd imagine it might be a good laugh live in the 90's but it just sounds dated to me now

Much better round than before.

Comment

Definitely stronger round- still some way off brief-but nothing really bad - didn’t think this one was majorly open to interpretation
                      G- nice
                      D- yes- from senna?
                      B- way off brief if you listen to the lyrics! But good tune - have never given this guy a chance
                      F- definitely upbeat
                      A- like it
                      F- ok- hadn’t heard it before- haven’t listened to a reggae tune in a long long time
                      C- ok- not really fitting brief and not moving dial for me
                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                        Definitely stronger round- still some way off brief-but nothing really bad - didn’t think this one was majorly open to interpretation
                        G- nice
                        D- yes- from senna?
                        B- way off brief if you listen to the lyrics! But good tune - have never given this guy a chance
                        F- definitely upbeat
                        A- like it
                        F- ok- hadn’t heard it before- haven’t listened to a reggae tune in a long long time
                        C- ok- not really fitting brief and not moving dial for me
                        I think your first F should be an E

Comment

Great rounds of picks. other than the first 2 which really stand out, they're all very close, and i'd be happy to wake up to all of these tbh)

B- What a choon. love it!
                          D-blinder and perfect for the occasion
                          E-it does feel very dated, especially the first half as it reminded me of music for an 80s blockbuster like beverly hills cop or lethal weapon, but the 2nd half picked up nicely
                          F-always nice to hear this, but it's already playing on every other beach
                          C-this would actually put a smile on my face if i woke up to this, like WTF? but in a good way
                          G-lovely track
                          A- pleasant but needs a bit more in there. slightly too generic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I think your first F should be an E
                            Good spot- fixed
                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

C Sweet tune, great vibe, nice start to the day
                                G Perfect
                                E That would get you out of bed in the morning ok
                                B OK not his best...If it didn't have summer in the name it wouldn't feel like summer, !'m going back to bed
                                D same kind of generic vibe as the Childish Gambino track, has me staying in bed for another while
                                A nice vibe, feels like its taking a bit too long to take off and then it doesn't really happen
                                F too stoned to open my eyes
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

E
                                  F
                                  D
                                  B
                                  C
                                  A

I enjoyed all of that. Some of it went way against where my headspace was at thinking of my track.
                                  A & C in particular could be first picks another time in my head.
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Réal tough choice for me between Santana and Bebel Gilberto. Gonna edge it slightly to BG, felt it suited the scene that slight bit better. Would listen to both on repeat on that beach though.

Liked the Pink Martini track but it just didn't belong in that beach headspace for me.

D
                                    G
                                    E
                                    F
                                    A
                                    B
                                    C
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      E
                                      F
                                      D
                                      B
                                      C
                                      A

I enjoyed all of that. Some of it went way against where my headspace was at thinking of my track.
                                      where's G?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        E
                                        F
                                        D
                                        B
                                        G
                                        C
                                        A

Added G

Comment

The numbers of players/letters left in the game are equal to the music alphabet.
                                          A to G . Or Do to Tee .

So DP votes are
                                          So
                                          La
                                          Do
                                          Ray
                                          Tee
                                          Me
                                          Do

we should have all voted like this

Shurrup.

Comment

sadly voting numbers have dwindled quite badly and none of the eliminated players have returned to vote on future rounds

this round is very close, so i'd like to at least wait for Benny's votes before closing

Comment

That's unfortunately always been a thing with MK, people not bothering once they've been eliminated. Pity.

Comment

I’ll vote shortly, I do t get notifications anymore, shrap would you stick it into BBv when new ones come up?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                  I’ll vote shortly, I do t get notifications anymore, shrap would you stick it into BBv when new ones come up?
                                                  I still love those people tho

Comment

Sorry for the delay... vote incoming!

F – a classic. Any Marley would have done I suppose but this has a nice ‘wake up, skin up, get up, stand up’ vibe (see what I did there?)
                                                    B – a near perfect, hazy, lazy summer tune.
                                                    A – More a late evening vibe I feel but very nice nonetheless
                                                    E – decent musicianship and energy.
                                                    G - Can’t argue with Santana either. The sound of hippy Latin psych, at least to the western world but not the one I’d have chosen. Several better out there.
                                                    D – takes too long to get going. OK I suppose if you’re literally waking up but not really sire it goes anywhere interesting.
                                                    C - pleasant enough but sounds like a winter song to me. Like a dreary Russian drinking song that’s gone flat and about to puke.
                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-01-22, 20:57.

Comment

Sadly it's Adios to SP, but wishing him a kung he fat choi for 2022
                                                      DP B 40
                                                      Mysteryguest D 39
                                                      BennyHiFi E 36
                                                      Solksjaer G 35
                                                      Lazare F 31
                                                      HJ A 21
                                                      SP C 16

Comment

Yizer taste is in yizers holes
                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Solks, that Santana gig sounds like a dream. Where was that?
                                                          Last edited by Lazare; 08-01-22, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                            Solks, that Santana gig sounds like a dream. Where was that?
                                                            SLane 84

Dylan
                                                            Top of their game UB40
                                                            Carlos .

Epic. Plus I bunked in . A broke rentboy The year Slane village was wrecked by assholes. I was a wee mon with big eyes .

Comment

Ah wonderful. Your description of how you felt listening to it brought me there, well said.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                                X