Music King road trip-Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King road trip-Round 3

Everyone's knackered after Coachella, so just a quick drive down to the border. We make it to Tijuana, but the place is bouncing. Looks like a few hip hop stars and their entourage are out in force and Trippie knows a couple of them (turns out he coached Jamal's younger brother in Texas for a few seasons, and got him a scholarship in a division 1 college), so we're invited to the party and made to feel like family. Looks like we're not sleeping just yet.

Theme: Hip hop/Rap

I did actually get stuck in Mexico for a bit at the start of the year as lost my greencard and they wouldn't let me fly.

Comment

Urghhh

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
        I did actually get stuck in Mexico for a bit at the start of the year as lost my greencard and they wouldn't let me fly.
        Nice edge you have over the field then

Comment

all entries are in

A

A NY rapper that was the soundtrack to a 90s Cali road trip that got close enough to the Mexican border. Can't profess to have a wealth of Hip Hop knowledge but this was one of my favourite albums across genres.

Comment

B

Going old achool no point pretending I know anything about modern scene or trying to pretend I enjoy the rubbish music critics list in their end of year lists to look relevant

heres a banger from De La Soul

Comment

C

Going for a classic this time. I love all Missy's work but this one stands out because of the liberal sample of Cybotron's classic 80s electro track 'Clear' showing once again she can take a futuristic lick from the past and effortless create a heady blend of hip-hop, r 'n' b, soul to destroy any dance floor. As always she delivers with the tongue in cheek but beautifully choreographed video as well. Oh and the ruff n' tuff vibe at the start steps the tone beautifully... she's not here to fuck around. Top notch stuff to get your freak on to.

Comment

D
                • This is a track by West Coast hip hop legend too short.
                  One of the pioneers of the braggadocious style of pimping and fucking with a lump of misogyny, he was one of the very first rappers to refer to women as bitches in his tracks. It's pretty much ubiquitous now.
                  In this latest collab with his new group Meter Mobb, it explores the changes in motivation over the course of a night in a party. You start out looking for love or a wife, move onto getting some no strings attached hook up before wandering around drunk trying it on with anything that moves with no success.
                  We've all been there.

Last edited by shrapnel; 01-01-22, 16:42.

Comment

E

It's Mexico, the weather is perfect and the Tecate's are flowing. This is perfect for the feel good buzz as we finally catch a second wind after clearly a shit Coachella.

Last edited by shrapnel; 01-01-22, 17:53.

Comment

F

Next round: 1977 - Ana Tijoux

"Nací un día de junio
                    Del año setenta y siete (‘77),
                    Planeta mercurio
                    Y el año de la serpiente."

Comment

G

Not my fav genre. Did watch Wu Tang American Saga . It was really good. Is this really old school now ? .

Comment

H

Looking in from outside there is a very short list to pick from this is one that I'd always turn up the volume if it came on the radio

Comment

Link broken on E Shrap
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            Link broken on E Shrap
                            cheers man. fixed

Comment

Am currently playing this with the missus, getting her input. Just listened to B and realised I'm going to need to invent my own blurb for D.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

F Ana Tijoux - great

B De La Soul - pretty good

C Missy - good

G Wu Tang - good

H Grandmaster flash - good

A Mase - pretty bad

D Meter Mobb - awful

E Jesus - this is bad reggaeton, it's not even hip hop

Comment

Gonna post up my picks a little later. I have a set of picks from my wife too. I'll post them up but totally cool if any objections. She does have my own pick quite high on her list.

Comment

My picks.

Really loved this. Hip hop not one of my strengths, and it's mad, I always love MK hip hop round. Few added to the general playlists here.

Grandmaster Flash the standout track for me followed closely by that De La Soul number. That's in general though but I've given #1 spot to that Ana Tioux track as I thought it was the most clever in terms of the brief.

I'd love to be at a Hip Hop party in Tijuana listening to most of those artists picked but having that Ana do a set in the middle of it all would be mind bending.

F
                                      H
                                      B
                                      D
                                      A
                                      C
                                      G
                                      E

Comment

Missus' pix

(Good hip hop name that)

Grandmaster Flash the clear winner for her. She loved D but did remark that that the oul bitch ridin mysoginy docked it a little.

H
                                        A
                                        D
                                        G
                                        C
                                        B
                                        F
                                        E

Last edited by Lazare; 01-01-22, 22:01.

Comment

Knew this round would produce some stinkers but jaysus

C- banger
                                          B- same as above
                                          H- safe but gets 3rd as at least it’s a party tune
                                          G
                                          D- not great but it’s a party and I’ve had a few
                                          F great tune but hip hop equivalent of pulling a guitar out at a party- Is this Lazs pick?
                                          A- nondescript, bad
                                          E- you wanted to pick pit bull didn’t you- this is awful, contender for worst song I’ve ever had to sit through in MK
                                          Last edited by MysteryGuest; 01-01-22, 23:18.
                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                            Knew this round would produce some stinkers but jaysus

C- banger
                                            B- same as above
                                            H- safe but gets 3rd as at least it’s a party tune
                                            D- not great but it’s a party and I’ve had a few
                                            F great tune but hip hop equivalent of pulling a guitar out at a party- Is this Lazs pick?
                                            A- nondescript, bad
                                            E- you wanted to pick pit bull didn’t you- this is awful, contender for worst song I’ve ever had to sit through in MK
                                            You're missing G ye prick

Comment

Fixing that link for E looks like the worst favour I coulda done him.

Comment

H – well I never really thought anyone would pick this but with the video, god damn… its the blueprint… 10/10
                                                F- yo! Finally six songs something original that I’ve never heard before. Very nice flow and balance even though it’s a bit of a poor man’s Missy Elliott (over time) and the lip syncing could be better. 9/10
                                                D – interesting. Deffo something new for me and piping hot funk and flow. I can see myself on the dancefloor freaking out to this. 9/10
                                                C - Missy fucking Elliott. That’ll do. 8/10
                                                A -
                                                Never heard of Mase but this has pretty good flow and a decent degree of funk. 7/10G -
                                                G - Wu-tang good 'un. But not their best. But even a wu-tang also ran can be a classic. 7/10
                                                B - Del la soul eh? Yes classic but I don’t think this is their greatest. 6/10
                                                E – Yikes. Ed Sheeran trance meets north African Eurovision. One plus point for the video. 4/10
                                                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 02-01-22, 00:05.

Comment

I'm not going to pretend I like F a lot . It's ok. I'm not getting the brilliance . However I'm simply not a fan of this genre . I enjoy it in LA gang cop movies , after that I switch straight off.
                                                  However the beauty of MK is you step inside and try to absorb other peoples taste and see if it hits anywhere . Some did .

In order of my actual enjoyment . I have the right missy on top . E was ok .

C
                                                  B
                                                  G
                                                  H
                                                  F
                                                  E
                                                  A
                                                  D

Comment

F Love this track. i will take it as a personal homage, as i have already used it in a previous Music King (interesting to see how time and location changes people's mind as iirc both Benny and Laz poopoo'ed it at the time )
                                                    H What a classic. such a great throwback to the early days
                                                    C absolute banger
                                                    A good track
                                                    G good track
                                                    E pure cheese, but lets be honest, if i'm in mexico and it comes on, i'm bopping along with a big grin on my face, hence why i've it got bumped up a couple of spots
                                                    B definitely not one of their best
                                                    D ok

Comment

What a weird round.

A few seemingly hesitant to pick a safe obvious one.
                                                      Bonus points for that I think. E however is just awful stuff.
                                                      Not even amusingly bad.

F is new. I'm not even sure I like it but it warrants repeat listens.
                                                      H. Of course
                                                      D. Silicon Valley yo.
                                                      C. Not missys best but I still like it
                                                      B
                                                      G
                                                      A tbh, these are all grand. Good tracks. Not a huge fan of mase but you can't go too wrong with de la soul and wu tang

​​​​​​​
                                                      E. Fucking hell

​​
                                                      ​​​
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was hoping for some poetry maybe some sophisticated tunes but tbh marking these was a chore. Had to keep checking if some of these weren't the same tune.

H

G Got sucked in to this, he's no Woddy Guthrie but it seems like the real deal.

A harmless

F listenable

B might be something going on there

E below par euro pop - is it the posing and the boat that makes it hop?

D Thought this might be a parody but the write up says no

C Expected better from the name
                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm not even going to tally up the points on this one, as one song is bottom or close to bottom for everyone. Sadly, Trippie, who got us into these crazy clubs thanks to his contacts, is going to stay on with his US mates in Mexico. whilst we drive on south.

Round 4 up shortly
                                                          A Lazare
                                                          B Mysteryguest
                                                          C BennyHIFI
                                                          D DP
                                                          E Trippie
                                                          F HJ
                                                          G Solskjaer
                                                          H SP

Comment

So Trippie, care to explain yourself

Wait.. I just realised he didn't even vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              Was hoping for some poetry maybe some sophisticated tunes but tbh marking these was a chore. Had to keep checking if some of these weren't the same tune.

H

G Got sucked in to this, he's no Woddy Guthrie but it seems like the real deal.

A harmless

F listenable

B might be something going on there

E below par euro pop - is it the posing and the boat that makes it hop?

D Thought this might be a parody but the write up says no

C Expected better from the name
                                                              SP is clearly racist against hip hop (and dancing)

Comment

Working...
                                                              X