Music king road trip-Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music king road trip-Round 2

We made it across the US and finally reached California. We're in luck, it's festival time and, i managed to bag us all tix for coachella. Party time!!!

Theme: Put up your favourite Coachella performance

This will be hard to beat…

Comment

Gonna have to bow out lads, apologies, between Xmas, covid and only performance I'm aware that took place at Coachella being Tupac's hologram, I'm just not finding the time. But will try and get in for voting in some of the rounds. Cheers for running regardless shrap
      airport, lol

Comment

Is it not going to be hard to judge multiple 1 hour plus performances?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          Is it not going to be hard to judge multiple 1 hour plus performances?
          Ah come on hj, just pick a track in the set if you cant find a single track video

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Ah come on hj, just pick a track in the set if you cant find a single track video
            I'm just a bit unsure as to what we are judging/posting, songs or sets? If it is set then people will just vote for the bands they already know as sets are too much of a time commitment. I'm also not aware of any Coachella sets, so I don't really have a starting point to come up with a song. Sorry, not trying to be a grinch!

Comment

I'm just a bit unsure as to what we are judging/posting, songs or sets? If it is set then people will just vote for the bands they already know as sets are too much of a time commitment. I'm also not aware of any Coachella sets, so I don't really have a starting point to come up with a song. Sorry, not trying to be a grinch!
              No worries. Looking for one great coachella track/performance. Just the one song.

Comment

There is a way to link a hour+ YouTube video by selecting the start time which embeds in the link, so if you’ve a part of a set you want just start it there.

Comment

Gonna be hard to do a Spotify playlist for this
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

About to go for a drive can you post them up?!

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                      About to go for a drive can you post them up?!
                      i wish i could, but barely half the entries in so far. it's like people actually have things to do other than this these days. pfft, ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

i wish i could, but barely half the entries in so far. it's like people actually have things to do other than this these days. pfft, ridiculous
                        What are people at though not like anyones having a hectic social life at the moment
                        cmon lads plenty of great Skrillex , david Guetta and Steve Aoki sets to choose from
                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Go with what we have tomorrow… everyone’s had a chance.

Comment

just missing one more. sent him a pm and hopefully i'll have these out by lunch. it's a cracking round with some awesome picks so far!

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one that found it a challenge. That's the point though.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

going to start putting the songs up. two missing which i'll add on later once i get them so don't start your voting just yet.

same system for this one. rank them from favourite to least favourite
                                Last edited by shrapnel; 28-12-21, 12:35.

Comment

A

This is probably the easiest selection I'll ever make. Nothing else crossed my mind. Could have been pretty much any track but we all know and love this one... imperious, and indeed, history making.

Comment

B

Best by a mile- probably already taken but anyway

Comment

C

So many acts to choose from, and then once I picked this one so many years to go back to. Figured I’d stick to a year where the sound quality was best, so you can really feel the emotion and energy from the crowd. Impossible not to move along with this one, saw them live around 2006 as an unknown to me outfit then and was completely converted.

Comment

D

im going to switch it to Icky Thump. Prefer the energy and enthusiasm.

Comment

E

This was from when they were at their peak the video isn't great but the sound is good enough to get a sense of how amazing it must have been to be there.

Comment

F

Absolute stomping energy. White Stripes with my favourite of theirs.

Comment

G

Probably an obvious one but still answers your question.

Any song from this stint. I'll pick from 18 mins in.

Comment

H

Changed the rules on what an EDM set could be.
                                                Class by your favourite French disco robots

Comment

Strong round- saving this for tonight with some whiskey

dissapointed at lack of Skrillex though
                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

final entry get to voting everyone!

I

Hans Zimmer - THE DARK KNIGHT

Whoever thought to get Hans Zimmer to play Coachella is a genius. An entire stage packed with world-class musicians is a feast for the eyes and ears.

Comment

My votes
                                                      I- imagine some knob twiddler having to follow that - had to listen to a few other tracks off this Too

A- bit obvious but fair enough

B- yes

H- looks like it was recorded on an old Nokia BUT it comes across how pumped crowd are getting

E- have never given these guys a chance- have an association of them with the old ray darcy show on today fm and a n old job- this is good though

F- energy is good

G- dunno- not coming across that well - prepared to love this but lacking

C- they get the crowd going but I’ve no idea what they are doing up there

D- not a great quality recording and doesn’t do a lot for me

Comment

A Beyonce good song, good performance, good quality video

B Prince good song, good performance, not so good quality video

I Hans - Love this

F white stripes, pretty good

G Depeche mode - pretty good

D Jack White - meh

C - Justice - not one of their better tracks

E sigur ross - bands like this need to be listened to in good quality. Also I've been to several sigur ross gigs and I mainly remember being bored and cold

H - I love daft punk, but this recording was too bad to appreciate anything, like listening to music some kids are playing out of a phone on a bus. Also you should be arrested for calling Daft punk EDM

Comment

G one of the greatest frontman ever. Ahead of their time.
                                                          B love this
                                                          F . Classic
                                                          D - Good
                                                          E Goood
                                                          C maybe I need some Es
                                                          I Hans . Maybe I need a cucumber sandwich
                                                          H meh
                                                          A FK NO .

Comment

Really enjoyed everything here. really tough one to figure out the bottom half order

B- still gives me chills. incredible track
                                                            A- This is just incredible also
                                                            E-seen them in concert before and it was fantastic (drugs may or may not have been ingested at the time)-great track
                                                            G- never been a big fan of theirs but this is such a great riff and track
                                                            I- this is great
                                                            H-Fantastic
                                                            F- really like the white stripes, but this song just sounds like a bit of a mess
                                                            C-would love to have been there
                                                            D- just doesn't do it for me

Comment

Not a s strong a round as I had anticipated. Perhaps because live music rounds tend to rely heavily on the visual and 'you had to have been there' element. Nevertheless, enjoyable enough but I think Beyonce is the only one I'd like to see more of.

A – The queen.
                                                              E- E is for epic.
                                                              F – White Stripes is Jack White’s better half for sure. Good rocker this.
                                                              B – Radiohead are extremely over-rated IMO. OK I suppose but I’m pretty sure any other Prince original would have been scored higher from me.
                                                              G – Not a huge Depeche Mode fan but this song ain’t bad and probably better for being live. However a point docked for making me look at Dave Gahan’s tits.
                                                              I – Marked down for not giving us a specific track so I dipped in and out. Would clearly have been an awesome live experience.
                                                              D – I don’t doubt Jack White’s commitment to music but I feel the degree of affectation doesn't often resonate with me. Kinda get that here. OK but no big shakes. Would have been better if Meg White had been on drums.
                                                              H – Daft Punk were an excellent exercise in commercial ‘dance music by numbers’ so good luck to ‘em but not for me and I’d walk on by if I saw this at a festival and go and watch a mute puppet show by two bearded ladies instead.
                                                              C – never really got into Justice. Just a watery Daft Punk to me. Sorry.
                                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 29-12-21, 20:40.

Comment

Overall its been a fairly shite festival IMO
                                                                The Sigur Ros and the Hans Zimmer were the only sets I could sit through, The Prince, Jack White and White Stripes you had to be there for, the Beyonce is just another superbowl mediocre pop half time show with no sense of being a live event and the techno stuff is doing nothing for me

E
                                                                I
                                                                F
                                                                B
                                                                D
                                                                G
                                                                A
                                                                H
                                                                C
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                  Not a s strong a round as I had anticipated. Perhaps because live music rounds tend to rely heavily on the visual and 'you had to have been there' element. Nevertheless, enjoyable enough but I think Beyonce is the only one I'd like to see more of.

A – The queen.
                                                                  E- E is for epic.
                                                                  F – White Stripes is Jack White’s better half for sure. Good rocker this.
                                                                  B – Radiohead are extremely over-rated IMO. OK I suppose but I’m pretty sure any other Prince original would have been scored higher from me.
                                                                  G – Not a huge Depeche Mode fan but this song ain’t bad and probably better for being live. However a point docked for making me look at Dave Gahan’s tits.
                                                                  H – Marked down for not giving us a specific track so I dipped in and out. Would clearly have been an awesome live experience.
                                                                  D – I don’t doubt Jack White’s commitment to music but I feel the degree of affectation doesn't often resonate with me. Kinda get that here. OK but no big shakes. Would have been better if Meg White had been on drums.
                                                                  H – Daft Punk were an excellent exercise in commercial ‘dance music by numbers’ so good luck to ‘em but not for me and I’d walk on by if I saw this at a festival and go and watch a mute puppet show by two bearded ladies instead.
                                                                  C – never really got into Justice. Just a watery Daft Punk to me. Sorry.
                                                                  You forgot I

It was a tough round- I thought Coachella was mainly just some horrible EDM shitshow where 25 year olds hold their phones in the air to watch Twunts like Fisher do “sick Drops “and then the odd pop act

had no idea actual musicians or layers there

Comment

E - Liked this the most
                                                                    I - was different and unexpected
                                                                    D - Preferred to this to the white stripes one
                                                                    F - Decent
                                                                    G - Meh
                                                                    B - i love radiohead & prince ( i went to Paisley Park a few weeks ago, not worth the trip fyi) , this is just too long and meandering.
                                                                    A - It has everything, but just too polished, i didnt like the switching back and forth from red to yellow as two different weekend recordings.
                                                                    C - struggled to listen to it
                                                                    H- I've seen this se before, knew it was coming in some form, quality is just not there

Comment

Some sound quality and visuals were better than others but I'm disregarding that and rating it based on the gig I'd most liked to have been at. Nothing bad at all there though.

Prince obv.

B
                                                                      D
                                                                      H
                                                                      E
                                                                      F
                                                                      I
                                                                      A
                                                                      C
                                                                      G

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Prince
                                                                        Hans
                                                                        Depeche Mode
                                                                        Daft Punk
                                                                        White stripes icky thump
                                                                        The other one
                                                                        Sigur Ros
                                                                        Beyonce
                                                                        Justice

I'd be interested to know how many duplicates where submitted and how many good acts but recorded on a potato were discarded.
                                                                        Personally, I discarded loads of better performances personally based on video quality or audience reaction.
                                                                        Some really fucking shit crowds at cochella
                                                                        ​​​​
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                          Prince
                                                                          Hans
                                                                          Depeche Mode
                                                                          Daft Punk
                                                                          White stripes icky thump
                                                                          The other one
                                                                          Sigur Ros
                                                                          Beyonce
                                                                          Justice

I'd be interested to know how many duplicates where submitted and how many good acts but recorded on a potato were discarded.
                                                                          Personally, I discarded loads of better performances personally based on video quality or audience reaction.
                                                                          Some really fucking shit crowds at cochella
                                                                          ​​​​
                                                                          I should dock you points for not following simple fucking instructions but i won't, cause im that kind of guy.

3 people went for creep, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

You forgot I

It was a tough round- I thought Coachella was mainly just some horrible EDM shitshow where 25 year olds hold their phones in the air to watch Twunts like Fisher do “sick Drops “and then the odd pop act

Well spotted. the first H should have been I (ie. Hans Zimmer) - transposition error. Cheers.

Comment

#39
                                                                              I tell you what, I'm gonna pure roast some fuckers for their comments about my track. The cheek.

Comment

#40

Well spotted. the first H should have been I (ie. Hans Zimmer) - transposition error. Cheers.
                                                                                Not to worry, I'd figured it out by the comments

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Hard to find on streaming so I got the dvd as a Crimbo pressie nearly 30 years old today... (the soundtrack is exceptional also). A beatnik/back door classic...

Naked Lunch is a 1991 surrealist science fiction drama film co-written and directed by David Cronenberg and starring Peter Weller, Judy Davis, Ian Holm, and Roy Scheider. It is an adaptation of William S. Burroughs' 1959 novel of the same name, and an international co-production of Canada, Britain, and Japan.

The film was released on 27 December 1991 in the United States, and 24 April 1992 in the United Kingdom by 20th Century Fox. It received positive reviews from critics, but was a box office flop, garnering only $2.6 million out of a $17–18 million budget due to a limited release. It won numerous honours, including the National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Director and seven Genie Awards, notably Best Motion Picture. Naked Lunchhas since become a cult film, acclaimed for its surrealistic visual and thematic elements.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Bug powder dust and mugwump jism...

William Burroughs lives on...

Comment

#43
                                                                                      A
                                                                                      H
                                                                                      C
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      B
                                                                                      E
                                                                                      F
                                                                                      G
                                                                                      D

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

You forgot I

Should be docked a point for not using EDM
                                                                                        shitshows

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Sadly Justice was served (with marching orders). Goodluck2me stays on at coachella for a few nights more of mayhem
                                                                                          mysteryguest B 69
                                                                                          HJ I 60
                                                                                          SP E 55
                                                                                          lazare F 55
                                                                                          bennyhifi A 51
                                                                                          solskjaer G 44
                                                                                          trippie D 41
                                                                                          Deadparrot H 39
                                                                                          goodluck2me C 26
                                                                                          Last edited by shrapnel; 30-12-21, 10:10.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            I'm guessing the middle column there was meant to have the letters Shrap? So we can identify who picked what?

Anyway, unlucky Goodluc2me.

Truly astounded Solks that you gave my Beyonce pick such short shrift. And the others who had her in the bottom 3 - WTF were you thinking, really? Note my trolling by having her as my own first pick

Also apologies for hijacking thread with drunken 'Naked Lunch' ramblings last night... first time I'd seen it in years and the Ornette Coleman soundtrack is most excellent!

Comment

#47
                                                                                              I'm guessing the middle column there was meant to have the letters Shrap? So we can identify who picked what?

Truly astounded Solks that you gave my Beyonce pick such short shrift. And the others who had her in the bottom 3 - WTF were you thinking, really? Note my trolling by having her as my own first pick

Also apologies for hijacking thread with drunken 'Naked Lunch' ramblings last night... first time I'd seen it in years and the Ornette Coleman soundtrack is most excellent!
                                                                                              fixed

Comment

#48

Benny . Beyonce? WTAF Man. I'm mentally demoting you from IPB music King . I'm shocked . What's next Suan Boyle

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                X