Music King Road trip-Round 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Road trip-Round 1

If there's one thing i really miss is a good ol road trip. Nothing better than driving down a road on a summer's day, windows open, warm air blasting in, and music blaring out from the speakers, with just a destination in mind and the promise of adventures along the way. Everybody's brought their favorite albums and mix tapes for the trip, and we're going to enjoy them all.

So that's where we're going. A road trip around the world with the occasional stopover.

In the van we have:

Lazare
    Balfejohn
    BennyHiFi
    Eamonhonda
    SP
    Goodluck2me
    Mysteryguest
    Trippie
    Ed
    Solksjaer
    HJ
    DP

Rules: Everyone submits one song, and everyone then ranks them from favorite to least favorite 1 to 11. i'll then compile the results and whoever finishes bottom will be sent packing (feel free to add yours wherever you want in the order, i'll remove them from the list when scoring). rinse and repeat until there are 3 left where we will do a more traditional final of 2 picks each.

Round 1: There's only one place to start a round the world road trip.

please submit your picks by tomorrow lunchtime. (we'll see how that goes timing wise)

Editing to make it clear to everyone.

the theme for round 1 is:

Route 66

Last edited by shrapnel; 22-12-21, 13:26.

unfortunately still missing quite a few entries. I'll hold off for now

Comment

Mass Pm to get the finger out?
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        Mass Pm to get the finger out?
        only 2 missing now. pm sent to both

Comment

tired of waiting for the last 2, so we can add theirs if and when they send them. there are lots of songs to get through already. please don't put your voting results just yet, in case they send them in this evening.

for the voting, i am assigning a letter to each entry, please give me the order in the below format, with your favorite song at the top and your least favorite at the bottom

A
          B
          C
          D
          etc.

Comment

A

My entry

B

Route 66

Where to start? Chicago that's where.
            Howlin Wolf with the coolest riff in Blues

C

There was a brief moment of my childhood, maybe brought on by Big Trouble in Little China when I thought a long haul trucker was a fucking cool profession. All the 10-4 good buddy stuff, the freedom, the open road.
            When I think of Route 66 I get a sense of a warm desert breeze, tobacco smoke and incense, musty denim, sweat. A bunch of Dutch Rockers from the Hague?
            That snare, that bass, you need to immerse yourself in this. Headphones on, and recall the mounting anticipation of meeting your moth for the ride in your long past youth.

Comment

D

The Doors - LA Woman

One of the best driving songs ever, just try not to speed too much when the Mr Mojo Rising refrain kicks in.

E

what trip across Route 66 would be complete without some American Country legends?

F

Comment

G

waylon jennings im a rambling man

H

Hitchin a ride by Boston

I

Start the journey from Chicago it's gonna have to be some Womack and Womack

Comment

J

Merle Haggard - White Line Fever (Live In Muskogee, Oklahoma/1969)

As a touring musician who traversed the states for years and years I'm sure Merle must have really understood White Line Fever. Travelling the highways of the continent as a metaphor for the journey through life, with the highline poles marking out both progress but also repetition and, to some degree, futility - the more things change the more they stay the same. But yet the fever still burns in his soul. It would have been born out of very real experience and I think you can hear that weariness of the never-ending road in his voice.. Here he sings it to an audience in Muskogee, Oklahoma, not far from Route 66. It's a quintessential American road song, best enjoyed late at night when the light is gone and what's ahead seems it might be eternally out of reach.

Comment

K

Will go for some classic yacht rock

Comment

C
                      B
                      D
                      G
                      H
                      A
                      J
                      E
                      I
                      F
                      K

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                        C
                        B
                        D
                        G
                        H
                        A
                        J
                        E
                        I
                        F
                        K
                        cheers Trippie. we're still waiting for one more entry so you may have to edit. hopefully it comes in this evening

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

cheers Trippie. we're still waiting for one more entry so you may have to edit. hopefully it comes in this evening
                          im headed out to training and then party after so wont be around to edit until a non reasonable irish time

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post

im headed out to training and then party after so wont be around to edit until a non reasonable irish time
                            No worries. Tomorrow is fine

Comment

Well I'm done with my votes and comments barring the latecomers so can post tomorrow. Very interesting choices so far. More challenging that it appeared this one I think. the brief COULD have been construed as quite broad and I think some people took that literally. But interesting nevertheless. GL all...

Comment

Some fucking great music there lads
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Really enjoyed that, stuck the headphone on and went outside and walked around and you could really get a feel for it at night time. Have my picks in place.

Comment

ok so looks like we lost one along the way. it happens on road trips. get your votes in, we're carrying on without him unfortunately
                                    Last edited by shrapnel; 24-12-21, 09:07.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Great round lads

The votes are as follow

K
                                        C
                                        J
                                        A
                                        H
                                        B
                                        D
                                        G
                                        E
                                        I
                                        F

Happy Christmas to one and all

Comment

My spiel on each song. Not my vote order . That's in post below.

B- Howling Wolf - Went well with my Guinness last night. Not one I’d play on a driving route though. It’s a late night one , much like Tom Waites.

[FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#212121]H Boston - a lot of people think Boston are a one hit wonder however this is a good track for driving to , a bit like RUSH light [FONT=Segoe UI Emoji]
                                          Last edited by Solksjaer!; 24-12-21, 14:04.

Comment

Bloomin site .
                                            My voting

E
                                            B
                                            F
                                            G
                                            A
                                            I
                                            J
                                            H
                                            K
                                            D
                                            C

last 2 are great but very much on every anthem ever compiled

Comment

Viva la difference. Trippies last song is Balfes fav

Comment

A
                                                D
                                                G
                                                J
                                                C
                                                B
                                                I
                                                E
                                                F
                                                H
                                                K

Disappointed with E's choice tbh, this was such an amazing concert and there are imo much better songs to pick from than that one.
                                                K never heard of yacht rock, it did make me chuckle

Comment

B If I was leaving Chicago and on my first overnight drive on Route 66 I think this would be the mood. Further down the road the mood would be very different of course but for now we'll take a full moon and this!
                                                  D I think this would suit the kind of psychedelic delerium I might feel after four dasy non stop on the road driving towards LA. Not a Soors fan generally but this works and I'd probably crack it up on the ol' AM radio
                                                  J Mellow and on point I suppose. Just don’t nod off and careen across the road as you drift off at 4 am in Oklahoma.
                                                  E Trying to be too broadly appealing I think. A good song when the sun is rising alright but maybe just too much style and not enough substance. Video is kinda interesting form a historical perspective.
                                                  A Woodstock is geographically a long way from Route 66 but I guess the spirit of the road and the beatniks and all that transfers ok. Not a bad song but not hugely evocatvie for the road for me.
                                                  G Gets better as it goes along. Kinda boogies out. Not bad.
                                                  K Ballsy choice opting for a YACHT rock track for a DRIVING round but It kinda works. I find Chris Cross kind of an enigma and the less I know about him the better. So I'm gonna give this a tentative thumbs up.
                                                  F I mean I get Tom Waits of course but he never really did it for me. I'd probably turn this off if it came on the radio on a road trip unfortunately. Or if I didn’t it might make me wanna crash.
                                                  C A bit too much 'glam rock' vibe for me TBH
                                                  H I understand Boston can be considered a 'driving' band but probably not enough 'route 66' vibes here for me.
                                                  I Not really sure what this has to do with road trips, driving, hitching, hoboing or any of that. Decent post-dico sould might you which I might bug out to. Just don’t really feel it hits the brief enough.
                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 24-12-21, 11:24.

Comment

In order of best to worst

B
                                                    G
                                                    A
                                                    E
                                                    K
                                                    J
                                                    C
                                                    D
                                                    H
                                                    I
                                                    F

I ordered it in order of how I enjoyed them as well as sticking to the brief, it was by far the most enjoyable round I’ve listened to

Comment

A
                                                      K
                                                      D
                                                      C
                                                      B
                                                      I
                                                      h
                                                      G
                                                      J
                                                      e

F

If someone put on Tom Waits at the start of a driving trip I'd leave them behind at the first opportunity.
                                                      Last edited by Hectorjelly; 24-12-21, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                        K
                                                        D
                                                        C
                                                        B
                                                        I
                                                        h
                                                        G
                                                        J
                                                        e

F

If someone put on Tom Waits at the start of a driving trip I'd leave them behind at the first opportunity.
                                                        Lol, i have to say i kind of agree!

You forgot A in your list

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                          Viva la difference. Trippies last song is Balfes fav
                                                          I've been lucky to do numerous road trips across the US and it's always a song that gets turned up louder when it comes on. Just a great driving song.

Comment

Lol, i have to say i kind of agree!

You forgot A in your list
                                                            Ah apologies, I'm glad you noticed as A was actually my first choice

Comment

Great stuff so far. I have my votes written out from last night, I'll post shortly after dealing with kidlets.

Benny, I love reading your reviews, is it possible to tweak the format slightly? Difficult to read as it's all joined together in one line of vertical text. Could well just be my phone though.

I'll open up on the laptop later and check it out.

Comment

No it is a bit fecked alright Laz. I tried to fix it last night but ran out of time so just lashed it in. Will fix for the next one for sure.

Comment

Merle Haggard just pipping Mr Mojo Risin for the top spot for me. You all know Mr Mojo Risin is an anagram of Jim Morrison yeah? Mind blown when I first heard that.

Player J showing the importance of a good blurb I think, those words nailed it I thought.

Tom Waits is obv ear porn but that track was way way off brief I felt, pipped to the bottom by that Boston song. Would instantly flick next if that came up on a playlist.

J
                                                                  D
                                                                  B
                                                                  A
                                                                  C
                                                                  G
                                                                  I
                                                                  K
                                                                  E
                                                                  F
                                                                  H

Comment

J
                                                                    B
                                                                    A
                                                                    K
                                                                    C
                                                                    G
                                                                    D
                                                                    E
                                                                    F
                                                                    I
                                                                    H

some choices(I) considering the brief (which is broad enough I guess anyway) love some Merle H
                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

still missing scores from 3 or 4 people so will tally up some time tomorrow.

Comment

it's so close at the bottom, i don't really want to close it till at least a couple more vote on this one. I'll call it at lunchtime if no more votes come in

Comment

it's so close at the bottom, i don't really want to close it till at least a couple more vote on this one. I'll call it at lunchtime if no more votes come in
                                                                          Will add scores a little later today
                                                                          All systems go last 24 hours.

Comment

Haven't got a chance for a full listen yet, and it will Tonight at earliest, apologies Xmas got the better of me
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

#39
                                                                              Sorry shrap, tried to listen so I could vote while out walking the dogs but it was impossible to take out the phone and play the next song while holding onto their leads so I just gave up after the 2nd song. Spotify playlist would be ideal so I can just pop it on and listen while walking so I might start making them for the next music King game. I know it's not really feasible for you to do it with the effort of running the game also.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by dobby View Post

Sorry shrap, tried to listen so I could vote while out walking the dogs but it was impossible to take out the phone and play the next song while holding onto their leads so I just gave up after the 2nd song. Spotify playlist would be ideal so I can just pop it on and listen while walking so I might start making them for the next music King game. I know it's not really feasible for you to do it with the effort of running the game also.
                                                                                DP did a Spotify playlist further up thread!

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

DP did a Spotify playlist further up thread!
                                                                                  Ah bollox. didnt even see it. I'll have to take him off ignore. My apologies in that case. Will keep a better eye on the next round.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    B
                                                                                    A
                                                                                    D
                                                                                    F
                                                                                    G
                                                                                    C
                                                                                    J
                                                                                    K
                                                                                    I
                                                                                    H

Tough to mark but clear gulf between top and bottom half

Only one song on the list fits the brief of route 66

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

#43
                                                                                      B
                                                                                      A
                                                                                      J
                                                                                      D
                                                                                      E
                                                                                      C
                                                                                      G
                                                                                      F
                                                                                      I
                                                                                      H
                                                                                      K

Comment

#44
                                                                                        I have thoughts but lack the time.
                                                                                        Lol @ golden earring being glam rock

Comment

#45
                                                                                          After the first leg of our journey, we sadly have to say goodbye to Balfejohn, who's choice of Boston doesn't seem to appeal to the other passengers. SP a very close and lucky 2nd last scrapes through this round. Looks like Tom waits isn't much appreciated in the van either. Round 2 coming up shortly.
                                                                                          Lazare B 95
                                                                                          Solskjaer A 92
                                                                                          HJ D 76
                                                                                          Benny J 76
                                                                                          DP C 71
                                                                                          Trippie G 71
                                                                                          Goodluck2me E 60
                                                                                          Mysteryguest K 53
                                                                                          Eamonhonda I 47
                                                                                          SP F 38
                                                                                          Balfejohn H 37
                                                                                          Last edited by shrapnel; 25-12-21, 19:44.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                            B
                                                                                            A
                                                                                            D
                                                                                            F
                                                                                            G
                                                                                            C
                                                                                            J
                                                                                            K
                                                                                            I
                                                                                            H

Tough to mark but clear gulf between top and bottom half

Only one song on the list fits the brief of route 66
                                                                                            You left out E!

Comment

#47

You left out E!
                                                                                              He did, so i put you where he put himself for scoring purposes (it wasn't making any difference to the bottom 2)

Comment

#48

He did, so i put you where he put himself for scoring purposes (it wasn't making any difference to the bottom 2)
                                                                                                Var will have to check this

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                  Merle Haggard just pipping Mr Mojo Risin for the top spot for me. You all know Mr Mojo Risin is an anagram of Jim Morrison yeah? Mind blown when I first heard that.
                                                                                                  I think you've repeated that anecdote a half dozen times

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Just on the remit . I checked with the boss man but decided as Canned heat are actually from California. LA . it was definitely not off brief . Route 66 does hit part of LA. plus having driven part of that route with that song blearing. It's perfect. Good round . Tom Waites UL . That's a superb song.

My fingers are sore from marathon sing song today. Deffo need to adjust the action.

#guitarwankerand proud

Comment

#51

You left out E!

That's about right. It also misses the remit by a distance NO is definitely a way off Route 66

FWIW The Waits song is the only one I can see with a definite link to Route 66
                                                                                                      Shame on the lot of ye for it to be behind stuff like that Chris Cross mediocrity, it was a poor pick for a road trip to be sure, I was between it a different Howlin Wolf track and the same Canned heat but the CH was too boringly obvious (and nothing to do with Route 66 )
                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-12-21, 23:36.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

#52

That's about right. It also misses the remit by a distance NO is definitely a way off Route 66

Shame on the lot of ye for it to be behind stuff like that Chris Cross mediocrity, it was a poor pick for a road trip to be sure, I was between it a different Howlin Wolf track and the same Canned heat but the CH was too boringly obvious (and nothing to do with Route 66 )
                                                                                                        City of New Orleans is a train that starts in Illinois the same place as Route 66…

Comment

#53

Too obvious and yet nothing to do with the remit ? So which is it ? had TW as 3rd on my list

Btw hope Christmas was ok for the clan this year after the passing of your dad. I guess a heavy hearted time for all .
                                                                                                          Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-12-21, 10:02.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            I actually thought Canned Heat was yours Shrap. Misread 'My entry'

Was wondering why you didn't make it anonymous.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                              I actually thought Canned Heat was yours Shrap. Misread 'My entry'

Was wondering why you didn't make it anonymous.
                                                                                                              lol, i thought that might be misconstrued, but for the integrity of the game i'm not playin'. Could've been legendary status had i made it 3 in a row!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                              X