Music King Round 6 - best no. 1 and worst no. 1 singles of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music King Round 6 - best no. 1 and worst no. 1 singles of all time

So most of us are from an era when the charts meant something - often a lot - to our daydreaming old selves so this round delves into our relationships with the much coveted but often derided no 1 hit single.

The UK chart was launched in 1952 and the Irish one in 1962 so there's plenty to choose from.

Please be sure your tracks were actually at number 1 IN THE UK OR IRELAND - I will check (but please be sure to Google before me to confirm).

Maybe you hate a track because of the music, or that it was mediocre and kept another great track off number 1. Someone else might LOVE that very same track for the very reason that it kept something they hated off the no. 1 spot. Maybe you love a track because it was the first to do something (female, black artist or whatever) or again, maybe you just loved the music.

The charts were an amazing thing that are now sadly meaningless. One of the casualties of the digital age and, like me, I'm sure you often pause in front of an old Top of the Pops or Reeling in the Years and wonder at the power of the number 1 single and how evocative they could be.

I suspect this one might require a bit of research so will leave open until Wednesday evening.

PS... each track is scored by the usual points out of 10 with the 'worst' one getting marks out of 10 simply on how bad it is.
    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 22-03-21, 21:33.

Comment

Two selections in so far. if we DO get the other three this evening we can start early but no biggie if not.

I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway.

For reference:

Player 1 Track 1 (Best)
      Player 1 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 2 Track 1 (Best)
      Player 2 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 3 Track 1 (Best)
      Player 3 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 4 Track 1 (Best)
      Player 4 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 5 Track 1 (Best)
      Player 5 Track 2 (Worst)

Comment

Two selections in so far. If we DO get the other three this evening we can start early but no biggie if not.

I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway.

For reference:

Player 1 Track 1 (Best)
        Player 1 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 2 Track 1 (Best)
        Player 2 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 3 Track 1 (Best)
        Player 3 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 4 Track 1 (Best)
        Player 4 Track 2 (Worst)

Player 5 Track 1 (Best)
        Player 5 Track 2 (Worst)

Comment

quick question, do we need to post the top of the pops version of the song or can we post any version?

Comment

Looking forward to this. Lads do your best and of course . Your worst.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
              quick question, do we need to post the top of the pops version of the song or can we post any version?
              Dont be scared little 1. Take a punt

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Dont be scared little 1. Take a punt
                personally think we should post the top of the pops version as those are the ones that matter in this round but just want clarification as there are always going to be better versions than the short lip synching ones we were fed

Comment

personally think we should post the top of the pops version as those are the ones that matter in this round but just want clarification as there are always going to be better versions than the short lip synching ones we were fed
                  Yeah I agree. It should be the original 7" version. Warts (or glory! and all.

Comment

For the music heads, as relevant to post here as anywhere else. Giles peterson is back doing top 20s, can't recommend them enough and he's covering loads of genres. Get them on worldwide fm.
                    Last edited by eamonhonda; 23-03-21, 19:18.
                    airport, lol

Comment

I think you are torturing me here benny
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Get them up lads - having an unexpected can night
                        enjoyed flicking through charts for this

Comment

Selections incoming...

Comment

I hope this round brought back some memories, good and bad. Even the bad can sometimes bring a smile to our faces as a coupel of these have for me.

Get watching and listening and good luck to the final 5!

Voting open til 8pm tomorrow evening.

Player 1

I picked out two, then went for a flick through the full list, and nothing else stood out as much as the orignial one Ive picked, i think this is my favourite number 1

this is obviously the worst, sorry:

Player 2

Decided to focus on Irish numbers ones because we've had some humdingers. 1995-1997 might well be the most embarrassing period for our country (and we had Do the Bartman at number one for a very long time in the early 90s)

Best - think there's a legit argument that this is as close to perfection as a song gets (God Only Knows didn't get to No.1). Amazingly didn't get to No1 on first release and took the movie to get it there in 1987

Worst - this is so bad it's not even on youtube! A horrifying 7 weeks at number 1 in 1996. And that was the same year as Babylon Zoo, Man Utd Man (4 weeks!!!) and How Bizarre.

https://open.spotify.com/track/0pUTg...0f89338cac43ca

Player 3

The best: mid 60s, new music was just emerging with the beatles and the rolling stones, but things were still very conservative. This song has it all, and still sounds amazing today. your number 1 in july 1964

The worst: how about a pedo singing about 2 little boys? this was number 1 in december 1969, and stayed at the top for 6 weeks!!!

Player 4

Best
                            found this hardest yet, struggled so hard not to post a 90s euro dance banger and numerous sixties tracks but I’ll go with a cover I love
                            It’s a cover that smashes the original , swoon that outro

worst
                            no comment, I’ll take Lazares 10 and count the rest, was sure I’d be going for crazy frog or pat shortt but forgot about this atrocity

Player 5

To me TOTP was the charts, didn't matter what the radio thought, it was all about waiting for that reveal on Thurs nights on BBC.

This to me is one of the all time greatest TOTP performances, the energy of it. I could have probably picked better songs, from a ton of classics but this pumps imo. Great nostalgia kick too from it for me.

Achieving a number one in the 80s for a band was akin to a golfer winning a major, in terms of lifetime goals. Ultravox, with an absolute stone cold classic were denied that by this bollix.

This, actually, by itself is a bit of craic, but it gets a massive wallop off me for blocking one of the greatest songs of the 80s from it's deserved glory.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 23-03-21, 22:02.

Comment

Showing now Dobby? Sometimes on first post some of the links don't work but I don't know that until I check the site and they will go back in and strip them out and reinsert but there may be a bit of a delay.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                Showing now Dobby? Sometimes on first post some of the links don't work but I don't know that until I check the site and they will go back in and strip them out and reinsert but there may be a bit of a delay.
                                All good m8. Know it's not your fault. Site is a pain in the bollox

Comment

Can someone confirm that Player 2s worst pick is Aon focal Eile by Richie Kavanagh or is my phone/spotify just taking the piss?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                    Can someone confirm that Player 2s worst pick is Aon focal Eile by Richie Kavanagh or is my phone/spotify just taking the piss?
                                    confirmed. my ears are still bleeding

Comment

P1 Best 7.5 This round is really hard straight off the bat. So subjective. Definitely have a soft spot for this song as it's bat shit crazy.
                                      P1 Worst 6.5 beverly hills cop anthem with a crazy frog. Always puts a smile on my face for the first minute, then I want it to end. It's absolute shit but it has a funny side.
                                      P2 Best 10 sublime
                                      P2 Worst 8 makes my ears bleed
                                      P3 Best 8 cracking tune. Timeless
                                      P3 Worst 8 fuck me that's a tough listen
                                      P4 Best 4 absolutely hate brian ferry, roxy music, and glam rock in general tbh
                                      P4 Worst 9 wow, that went to number one? Ugh. I saw cliff richard and didn't think much of it. I think he is forgettable at best but then I heard it was our father... just horrendous. Wp, this is awful
                                      P5 Best 5 cringe. It is classic pop, but from the shit side for me imo. Really hated it then, still hate it now
                                      P5 Worst 5 as you say it's a bit of craic, doesn't take itself seriously. Still shit but not the worst kind

Comment

Another interesting round Benny. And another overall.high scoring round. Can only imagine the craic lads had picking for this. Enjoyed it.

Player 1: Track 1 - 6. Her voice always annoyed me. I get that this is considered a classic but does nothing for me. An above average song so score reflects all that.

Track 2 - 5. I know I'm definitely in a minority but I actually enjoyed this throwback memories of being absolutely shitfaced on 3 for €10 vodka red bull and getting the obligatory fat frog drink when this was played in the nightclub.

Player 2: Track 1 - 9. Ah yeah, this is unreal. Great film too.

Track 2 - 9. Yikes, couldn't finish it. Had forgotten about it and want it to remain that way for the rest of my life

Player 3: Track 1 - 10. This is my fav song. I'm not sure why or how I got such a connection to it but I just love it.

Track 2 - 9. That's pretty brutal and creepy. Then I got the reference to the paedo that the player meant and it just got weirder. How was that a number 1.

Player 4: Track 1 - 9. That was enjoyable. A song I always turn up if it comes on in the car and now I dont know if it's this version or the original I like better so guess that's a good sign.

Track 2 -.10. 10 means complete dogshit yeah? Another one I didnt listen to and also begs the question, HOW?!?! Hes another lad who should have his hard drive checked.

Player 5: Track 1 - 7. Meh, its grand and I'd say was a good party tune at the time but I just dont get the Wham/GM hype.

Track 2 - 9. I think thats the first time I've heard that from start to finish. Brutal.

Comment

Player 1 10 .If you dont find the ethereal quality of this as amazing as the book then you probably dont get Kate Bush. This is a work of art . She is a genius in my view
                                          Player 1 4 . This is annoying but by far xs and away not the worst

Player 2 7 . A good catchy tune but considering what there was ..

Player 2 7 you mention Man utd man. I know Peter Casey , a big liverpool fan . This song was just as painful for him. The Richie Kavanagh one is hysterical in its absurdity I remember when MTV did the no.1 hits of Europe and this fellow in a boy scouts uniform singing this on stage . Lol CRINGE..

Player 3 8 . Did you know this was a woody Guthrie cover. Great tune . If ever a band made a tune their own

Player 3 9 In light of everything that's passed . Urgh I hate it

Player 4 6 another cover . Ferry was great loved some of his other stuff . Not so much this one

Player 4 10 OMFG I forgot this . This beats agadoo as the worst ever

Player 5 6 . Dont like this at all never did. His solo stuff was superb. Turned me from a hater to a fan . Listen without prejudice. WOW

Player 5 5 somewhat annoying but not the worst ( like meself) .

Comment

P1 - 9 - Kinda hated this due to hating the book in school, and was never a fan of KB. Listened to it with fresh ears though and it is stunning art in fairness. Great choice.

P1a - 6- Yeah it's shit, but you've got to assume the creators knew that and were taking the piss.

P2 - 6 - Great song alright, just a little stale for me I suppose.

P2a - 6 - Wasn't able to open, don't have Spotify but didn't need to really. A mad No.1 alright but pretty entertaining and funny at the time.

P3 - 10 - Belter. Can't get over how young they were creating that. Kids. Holy shit.

P3a - 4 - Bleedin loved this as a kid.

P4 - 8 - Iconic 80s

P4a - 10 - What the fuck was that? Lasted 41 secs before I couldn't hack any more. How the hell did that make #1?

P5 - 8 - Banging 80s pop. Pandemic shoulda happened then, I could go around with this head of hair and be grand.

P5a - 8 - Jaysus, cringe for the 80s

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Player 1: Best- 8 gave it a proper listen as wouldn’t be seeking out Kate bush normally, she was one of a kind I’ll give her that

Worst- 7- annoying and grating but in on the joke/that’s the point

Player 2: Best - 7. Good track but over familiar.

Track 2 - 6 - a very childish part of me appreciates what he’s doing here

Player 3: Track 1 - 10. Timeless

Track 2 - 8 if you take away the paedo element it’s just twee maudlin rubbish like a lot of other number 1s, bad but probably wouldn’t be on this list if he wasn’t a kiddy fiddler
                                              6 for the song and 2 bonus paedo points

Player 4: Track 1 - 9. better than the original for sure

Track 2 -.10. No that’s a proper bad number 1 , awful on a number of different levels

Player 5: Track 1 - 6- doesn’t do it for me at all. As for the performance, they are miming

Track 2 - 8 never heard it before, shite .[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

P3 - 10 - Belter. Can't get over how young they were creating that. Kids. Holy shit.

The original below .

Comment

Player 1
                                                  Pick 1 - 7 I'm a Kate bush fan but this isn't close to being one of the best number one's of all time
                                                  Pick 2 - 9 Yeah, this is a bad one alright
                                                  Player 2
                                                  Pick 1 - 9 Works both lyrically and musically
                                                  Pick 2 - 9 Should be illegal
                                                  Player 3
                                                  Pick 1 - 8 Pretty iconic this one
                                                  Pick 2 - 6 Worst person, yes but the actual song isn't that bad
                                                  Player 4
                                                  Pick 1 - 5 Do like the song but not on the same planet as the "best of all time"
                                                  Pick 2 - 5 Not sure this is even Cliff Richard's worst number one, let alone an all time worst (As someone who worked in a supermarket for a few chirstmas' Mistletoe and Wine holds some particular horrors)
                                                  Player 5
                                                  Pick 1 - 3 Freedom and Careless Whisper were sitting right there!
                                                  Pick 2 - 8 (Probably a 7 but keeping Vienna off No. 1 is a warcrime - did make it to No 1 in Ireland)

Comment

Player 1 Best 9 Hard to think of a better, more original track to have made it to the top spot. First among equals.
                                                    Worst 5 Deffo not the worst. The underlying track is fine and it put a smile on my face but about one minute was enough.
                                                    Player 2 Best 10 Oh… maybe this one is better than Kate. Fine margins. When the universe eventually implodes this tune will still ring out. Indeed, it would be a fine soundtrack to the end of it all.
                                                    Worst 8 A track for kids and grannies (my ma loved it!). Can’t believe someone isn’t making money of ads from this on youtube. Sorry but because of my Spotify aversion I didn’t even play it. Win!
                                                    Player 3 Best 8 Great song of course. Hard to fault. Shame they didn’t even try to make the video look like they were doing it live. Nice driving middle section.
                                                    Worst 4 Big tune when I was kid too. Still stirs memories and I think there's way worse out there.
                                                    Player 4 Best 8.5 Love Ferry/Roxy. Great song.
                                                    Worst 9 Execrable. Well done.
                                                    Player 5 Best 7.5 Like the energy of this track too. Wasn't always a GM fan but read a bio and the more I heard his tunes the more I regarded him a genuine music lover and talented guy.
                                                    Worst 6 Would sing this with my kid in the car I think and get a laugh out of it. Once a decade would be plenty though.

Comment

player 1 9 Kate Superb, probably wouldn't have been quite as big a success if they'd stuck with that video over the better one!
                                                      5 Crazy frog Good tune with an annoying vocal track its better than a lot of the techno crap that gets taken seriously
                                                      player 2 10 Ben E perfect
                                                      10 Kavanagh Yikes! I didn't get as far as the vocal kicking in. Horrific
                                                      player 3 10 Animals Not just a great single but one that changed the music world, it unlocked the world of the delta blues in a way the rest of the early 60's UK bands hadn't really managed to.
                                                      7 Rolf LOL that's results based thinking. Not as creepy as any Gary Glitter track
                                                      player 4 5 Roxy Overproduced sickly sweet cover of a decent John song. Middling to poor No1 IMO.
                                                      5 Cliff I can think of 10 worse Cliff tracks
                                                      player 5 8 Wham Not my cuppa but undoutably a great pop song
                                                      6 Joe Pasquale annoying comedy song but he's no Richie Kavanagh
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The original below .
                                                        There were many versions before Woody recorded it, it's very interesting as an early example of a ballad song that comes out of the folk tradition of the British Isles but is soaked in the delta blues, maybe the original in the deep seam of what is now 'Americana'.

I believe this the earliest recorded version but it was widely sung for 30 40 years before this was made, I remember reading that Alan Lomax had collected more than a dozen different versions before the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There were many versions before Woody recorded it, it's very interesting as an early example of a ballad song that comes out of the folk tradition of the British Isles but is soaked in the delta blues, maybe the original in the deep seam of what is now 'Americana'.

I believe this the earliest recorded version but it was widely sung for 30 40 years before this was made, I remember reading that Alan Lomax had collected more than a dozen different versions before the war.

A song steeped in history even lead belly had a version. I think we can all agree the Animals took it and made it fly . Usually the 1st song to teach someone on a guitar. Easy to play and sing along to plus you can add your own rhythm to it etc.

Comment

A song steeped in history even lead belly had a version. I think we can all agree the Animals took it and made it fly . Usually the 1st song to teach someone on a guitar. Easy to play and sing along to plus you can add your own rhythm to it etc.
                                                            listened to all 3 , and whilst enjoying all of them, no doubt in my mind the animals version is on a whole other level. mind blowingly good.

Comment

Player 1 - 9 - Ah yes this is one of best for sure
                                                              Player 1 - 9 - Ah yes this is one of the worst for sure
                                                              Player 2 - 7 - Quite a nice track but i dont hold it to as high a regard as others is seems
                                                              Player 2 - 6 - Cant listen as i dont have spotify, but i remember it being pretty bad
                                                              Player 3 - 9 - Such a great track, love it
                                                              Player 3 - 5 - The actual track isnt the worst by any means, cant go giving out extra pedo points
                                                              Player 4 - 3 - Never heard that, wont be seeking out for another listen anytime. Not my cup of tea at all
                                                              Player 4 - 8 - Thats shocking that made it to number one, i can actually understand how some of the other stuff gets there even if i do hate it
                                                              Player 5 - 5 - Ah ya its alright like. Too cheesy
                                                              Player 5 - 2 - Haha i always liked that, was a bit of craic, might have a different opinion if i was around for its overplaying in the 80s
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Player 1 Track 1 - 9 (one of the best for sure)
                                                                Player 1 Track 2 - 9 (had to be picked!)

Player 2 Track 1 - 7
                                                                Player 2 Track 2 - 9 (horrifying, lasted for about 20 seconds)

Player 3 Track 1 - 8
                                                                Player 3 Track 2 - 4 (whatever about the artist, the single doesn't compete with the real clangers)

Player 4 Track 1 - 9 (great pick, damn Roxy Music were cool)
                                                                Player 4 Track 2 - 7 (eh, like it's terrible for sure, but not in the top rank)

Player 5 Track 1 - 8 (still so catchy despite the familiarity; they look like they're having a blast there)
                                                                Player 5 Track 2 - 5 (tough one! I have some fond memories of this from my earliest memories for some reason, but yeah it's terrible)

Comment

Richie Kavanagh has 26K Monthly listeners on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Richie Kavanagh has 26K Monthly listeners on Spotify
                                                                    Wasnt his girlfriend one of the 1st in Ireland to get a mobile phone ?

Comment

You could do a round of people with less Monthly listeners than Richie

Comment

Well that was kind a fun, for everyone except Lazare whose best no. 1 wasn't good enough and worst no. 1 wasn't bad enough.

Sorry dude. I bet every old Top of the Pops you watch now will have a better no.1 than Wake Me Up Before You Gogo!

Very close in mid table between EHonda, Shrap and PSV and Ed romped this one with a broadly accepted pair of classics.
                                                                        Player 1 - Eamonhonda Best 74.5
                                                                        Worst 56.5
                                                                        Player 2 - Ed Best 73
                                                                        Worst 69
                                                                        Player 3 - Shrapnel Best 78
                                                                        Worst 54
                                                                        Player 4 - PSV Best 57.5
                                                                        Worst 76
                                                                        Player 5 - Lazare Best 55.5
                                                                        Worst 54

Next up the Theme Time Radio Hour round! Check out the new thread soon.
                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 24-03-21, 21:39.

Comment

Wow, would never have thought laz would pick wham as the best of the charts! ​​​​​​

Comment

Wow, would never have thought laz would pick wham as the best of the charts! ​​​​​​
                                                                            It was his 'Phil Lynotts son' moment .

Comment

#39
                                                                              And not a single Beatles track chosen which would surely have guaranteed a high score.

This might even outdo the 'Phil Lynott's son' moment in the due course of time!

I'd say if you gave him 10 mins now to Google no. 1s he'd come up with a bunch he prefers to this. Ah hindsight...

Comment

#40
                                                                                Haha I know. Not exactly sure what I was thinking, think I was going for an iconic No. 1 rather than the best song I could think of.

Such a cracking game. Well done Benny, you truly mastered how this should be done.
                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  Haha I know. Not exactly sure what I was thinking, think I was going for an iconic No. 1 rather than the best song I could think of.

Such a cracking game. Well done Benny, you truly mastered how this should be done.
                                                                                  Ah here, kind words indeed but it's by accident rather than design and a collaborative effort all the way.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  X