X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

impossible to put I am pilgrim down

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      Has anyone listened to the fs.blog book on Audible? I've never listened to an audiobook, and it seems like a book that you'd really want in a hard copy, but the kindle version isn't even out until Oct.
      Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      I just bought it, I returned one I likely would have never listened to.

If you want to hold off until tomorrow, I'll let you know what it's like, I should have it finished by then.

No accompanying PDF either.
      Two thirds of the way through. Outside of the odd philosophical quote that needed a 2nd listen here or there, it's easy follow.

Lots of focus on Munger among others.

You'll know lots of stuff, Occams Razor, Socratic Questioning etc...
      It's more a collation of models than anything new and it's actually the first of a series, this the general models version.
      Good so far and the first audiobook I've listened to at normal speed as I'm accustomed to listening to his voice at that pace during his podcast.
      They've released a hard copy on Amazon.com

Last edited by Denny Crane; 12-10-19, 14:01.

Comment

If I was to give John Banville a spin what would people recommend? I would have thought 'The Sea' just on the fact that it won the Booker Prize, but it has a pretty weak rating on Goodreads and I've seen a few things where people suggested giving him that award for that book was deranged.

I'm reading Kevin Barry's short stories 'There Are Little Kingdoms' at the moment and it's wonderful. Trying to read more Irish stuff in general over the last while.

Comment

Love his podcasts and have been listening exclusively to them on car journeys.

Have you read Ray Dalios principles? Im torn between it and FS release?

Comment

Yep, Principles is great, it's just longer than it needs to be (600 pages) he's released a shorter version but it's described as being for all ages, so may be too simplified.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
              Love his podcasts and have been listening exclusively to them on car journeys.

Have you read Ray Dalios principles? Im torn between it and FS release?
              As Denny said Principles is excellent. As I previously mentioned the FS book is a collection of mental models based upon Charlie Mungers approach:
              "Well, the first rule is that you can’t really know anything if you just remember isolated facts and try and bang ’em back. If the facts don’t hang together on a latticework of theory, you don’t have them in a usable form. You’ve got to have models in your head. And you’ve got to array your experience both vicarious and direct on this latticework of models. You may have noticed students who just try to remember and pound back what is remembered. Well, they fail in school and in life. You’ve got to hang experience on a latticework of models in your head.”

You can read them all here: https://fs.blog/mental-models/

Dalio's is more about his approach, meritocracy and alike. They're quite different, Dalios is certainly a better book but Parrish offering is still quite good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                If I was to give John Banville a spin what would people recommend? I would have thought 'The Sea' just on the fact that it won the Booker Prize, but it has a pretty weak rating on Goodreads and I've seen a few things where people suggested giving him that award for that book was deranged.

I'm reading Kevin Barry's short stories 'There Are Little Kingdoms' at the moment and it's wonderful. Trying to read more Irish stuff in general over the last while.
                Love Barry, just finished the new one which was great but didn't seem to quite hit the heights of the previous two or the short stories which are probably the best Irish writing in decades.

This line from a scene in pool hall in Wexford

Just then, the air changed: a small troop of girls
                arrived in, a battalion of three. They had vinegar in
                them and they roved their dangerous eyes around the
                habitutees and they were a carnival of cheap perfume
                on young skin and whatever summer was they’d
                trapped its essence and fizzed with it.
                Wow!

I always recommend Banville's early books The Newton letter, Kepler and Dr Copernicus which are often forgotten about.
                His best work is the Book of Evidence IMO
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I had never heard of John Banville until recently - I was in a cafe in Dun Laoire that had a sign: Please take a seat, so I took one. The waitress then shoed me over to another table.
                  "Sorry sir, that tables reserved," "But it doesn't have a sign?" "That's where John Banville sits". The way she cooed over the name made me take notice. Then the next day I read about the Novel Prize debacle!

I will read the Book of Evidence, thanks for the tip strew.

I just finished City of Dis by David Butler. I can't recommend it enough. It's a really well told story, the characters and city (Dublin) really come to life.

'Every trouble on this earth is caused by a man's inabi…

Comment

Why We Sleep, by Matthew Walker. I read a couple of great books this year about human behavior, and this was one of the most interesting and profound. Both Jenn and John Doerr urged me to read it, and I’m glad I did. Everyone knows that a good night’s sleep is important—but what exactly counts as a good night’s sleep? And how do you make one happen? Walker has persuaded me to change my bedtime habits to up my chances. If your New Year’s resolution is to be healthier in 2020, his advice is a good place to start.
                    IPB keeping you ahead of Bill Gates

Comment

https://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bil..._&WT.tsrc=BGEM

IPB keeping you ahead of Bill Gates
                      Half way through this at the moment thanks to this thread, very good read.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            Have three fiction books that have been hanging around in Kindle Unread for ages:

- McMurthry: Lonesome Dove
                            - Capote: In Cold Blood
                            - Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind

Anyone a recommendation as to what to read amongst those? They're all there for a good reason, but always end up skipping over them when looking for the next read.
                            Rothfuss is superb. sadly we've been waiting for years for the third installment. feels like it may never come, but the name of the wind is a real pleasure to read.

Personally never been a fan a Capote. Style jars me, and i don't know the first one

Comment

Currently reading Eat The Rich by PJ ORourke which has been pretty good so far, it was written ages ago about different economies but the writing has kept it interesting. I did laugh at this “The Albanians have a saying that a woman must work harder than a goat, because the goat eats grass and the woman eats bread”. Gives a sense of the time...

Comment

Anyone recommend another big read a bit like this one?
                                Nomad by james swallow

Comment

Comment

This is Going to Hurt is highly entertaining. Type of thing you'd read in about two days max.
                                    Uncannily accurate too.

Comment

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami

Warning: minds may be blown.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You never suggest anything so I'll have to add it to the list.

I'm guessing you dont have Goodreads?

Comment

You never suggest anything so I'll have to add it to the list.

I'm guessing you dont have Goodreads?
                                          You guess correctly.

Murakami is a fairly divisive writer, you will either love him or hate him. Quite likely he gets the Nobel at some point.

Comment

Never again am I reading murakami. Don't care how good anyone says it is!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                              Never again am I reading murakami. Don't care how good anyone says it is!
                                              Open your mind man.

Comment

Open your mind man.
                                                Opened it twice before. Never again

Comment

You guess correctly.

Murakami is a fairly divisive writer, you will either love him or hate him. Quite likely he gets the Nobel at some point.
                                                  I'll certainly try him, I'd be a fan of Ted Chiang, they seem to be mentioned together on occasion.
                                                  I've read quite a few of his short stories.

You might enjoy one of the collections: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/11019..._dp_1101972122

Comment

I bought Norwegian Wood today to try, I read some stuff online about where to start with Murakami, the aforementioned seemed to pop up most frequently.

I'll be missing the yearly target of 55 by quite a long way, I suspect I'll get to about 35, 30 or so of non-fiction which probably isn't too bad.

I'll lose out on audiobooks next year for the most part given the reduced commute but I suspect I'll physically read more.

I'll aim for the same target next year but with a higher percentage of fiction. I flew through A Man Called Ove, I Am Pilgrim and Ted Chiangs book of short stories so certainly worth adding more.

Keane & Sean getting through a ridiculous amount once again, I'd like to see what HJ and RD3 are reading for next year if yee are interested in joining the Goodreads group.

Comment

I enjoyed Norwegian Wood but not so much that I was mad to get another book by Murakami although it seems to have stuck with me alright.

Comment

I bought Norwegian Wood today to try, I read some stuff online about where to start with Murakami, the aforementioned seemed to pop up most frequently.

I'll be missing the yearly target of 55 by quite a long way, I suspect I'll get to about 35, 30 or so of non-fiction which probably isn't too bad.

I'll lose out on audiobooks next year for the most part given the reduced commute but I suspect I'll physically read more.

I'll aim for the same target next year but with a higher percentage of fiction. I flew through A Man Called Ove, I Am Pilgrim and Ted Chiangs book of short stories so certainly worth adding more.

Keane & Sean getting through a ridiculous amount once again, I'd like to see what HJ and RD3 are reading for next year if yee are interested in joining the Goodreads group.
                                                        Poke your eyes out. Less painful than murakami

Even though that's the less painful one.

Comment

I got in to Murakami via the one about running. Its very unlike the rest of his writing but well worth a bit of time.

Comment

Subjective list of the best works of the past decade.

I thought the non-fiction list contained quite a number of works which were not on your typical list, I've only read one but I've read other works by some of the authors mentioned.

It didn't contain Gladwell, Diamond, Kahneman among others who pop up regularly on these type of lists.

Also, I noticed a number of books highly thought of by people here on some of the other lists so perhaps worth a look through.

Non-Fiction: https://lithub.com/the-20-best-works...of-the-decade/

Novels: https://lithub.com/the-20-best-novels-of-the-decade/

Essays: https://lithub.com/the-10-best-essay...of-the-decade/

Memoirs: https://lithub.com/the-10-best-memoirs-of-the-decade/

Short Stories: https://lithub.com/the-10-best-short...of-the-decade/

Comment

They look like great lists, thanks. Flicking through the short stories collections and wondering how it is I have never even heard of Colin Barrett.

Comment

Done with Murakami and am onto to the fourth (and currently final) volume of Robert Caro's magisterial biography of LBJ.
                                                                It's as much a biography of America as it is of the man himself. Almost certainly the finest biography ever written.

Caro started writing this in 1974. He still hasn't finished, having moved to Vietnam to research the final volume. The first four volumes take you through to his ascension to the presidency and the monumental achievement that was the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

As he is now 83, it's pretty much an evens shot whether he dies or completes the final volume first. Any lover of literature and history will surely be funking the latter.
                                                                Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 30-12-19, 13:37.

Comment

Done with Murakami and am onto to the fourth (and currently final) volume of Robert Caro's magisterial biography of LBJ.
                                                                  It's as much a biography of America as it is of the man himself. Almost certainly the finest biography ever written.

Caro started writing this in 1974. He still hasn't finished, having moved to Vietnam to research the final volume. The first four volumes take you through to his ascension to the presidency and the monumental achievement that was the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

As he is now 83, it's pretty much an evens shot whether he dies or completes the final volume first. Any lover of literature and history will surely be funking the former.
                                                                  The 4th volume mentioned in that list above. I heard of the Caro series before on a podcast but over 3000 pages not yet completed is quite the undertaking.

So you don't rate it?
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 30-12-19, 20:29.

Comment

The 4th volume mentioned in that list above. I heard of the Caro series before on a podcast but over 3000 words not yet completed is quite the undertaking.

So you don't rate it?
                                                                    Oh, I got my up mixed words.

Edited. It's genius.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's amazing just how many of the best books are by female authors - maybe 80-90% when it comes to fiction. See that too on the NY Times bestseller list.

Dont make a point of choosing books by author gender (obv), but I'd guess 80-90% of the 300 or so books on my kindle are written by men.
                                                                              Women buy more books than men.

The purpose of such lists is to encourage book buying.

I feel like I shouldn't need to explain this to a man of your erudition.

Comment

...

Comment

It's a bit strange though that we're all buying books where having the same gender as the author is seemingly so important without it being fully conscious in our decision making.
                                                                                  It's 2020 tomorrow. Who really gives a fuck which of the 57 () varieties of gender is ascribed to an author?

Comment

It's 2020 tomorrow. Who really gives a fuck which of the 57 () varieties of gender is ascribed to an author?
                                                                                    I gave the gender of authors some thought a while back and decided to make a concerted effort to find some authors in some non-fiction fields that I liked so firstly I listened to podcasts with Mesha Gessan and Rebecca Traister.

I read one of the latter's books which was quite good if tough going given that it is just written with some venom. Gessan was incredibly insightful on the podcast, big anti-Putin activist, clear and concise thoughts. You very much got the feeling that she was operating on a different level tbh, just really smart.

I also read the Jane Meyer Dark Money this year(kudos to HJ for the impetus) which again was quite good.

I concluded that given Traister & Gessan were not particularly big fans of the podcast host yet mentioned nothing as far as I can recall regarding any bias that exists around authors in a given genre, I figured it wasn't worth giving much notice to it as a potential issue.

Comment

I thought the non-fiction list contained quite a number of works which were not on your typical list, I've only read one but I've read other works by some of the authors mentioned.

It didn't contain Gladwell, Diamond, Kahneman among others who pop up regularly on these type of lists.

Also, I noticed a number of books highly thought of by people here on some of the other lists so perhaps worth a look through.

4 out of 50, shocking (and didn't even like them all) (discounting essays and short stories as i never read those anyway).

as per HH's point, i don't pay attention to gender tbh, don't even pay attention to the writer if i'm honest.

Comment

Suprised at Hitch missing all of the FS talk over the last few years! I've debated joining the premium part for ages. Maybe this year.

Would be curious to see Goodreads doing a gender breakdown. I'm probably unintentionally read 95%+ by men.

Comment

This Goodreads thing looks good.

For no other reason than if I update it, it might stop me re-reading some books.

Stayed up to about 3am reading the LBJ book. All the way through the humiliation of the vice presidency, the drama of the JFK assassination, the pageantry of the funeral, the intense feud with Bobby Kennedy, and then, upon assuming the presidency, the legislative genius to force through Kennedy's entire program in a matter of days. The program that the Hill had successfully foiled when JFK was alive.

A study in power.

Comment

...

Comment

ah really, so its been a 'thing'?! I guess that means its good in that case.
                                                                                              Yeah I've been reading it on and off for about four or five years. It was originally mostly book recommendations. Looking forward to seeing their book in the new year

Comment

Yeah I've been reading it on and off for about four or five years. It was originally mostly book recommendations. Looking forward to seeing their book in the new year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Menta...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
                                                                                                He gets some good guests tbf, even some which I haven't seen pop up on others I listen to.

It'll be interesting to see how the series progresses as "Mental Models" will be the theme if I remember correctly.

I thought the premium was only access to the forum or is there more? I considered it for Sam Harris but when I missed the boat on the free app for life I didn't bother.
                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 31-12-19, 16:46.

Comment

Thanks for this, went and splurged on a load of these.

Comment

I see a couple of you have started the LBJ book. You really need to start with Vol I and work your way through the 3,000+ pages of I-III before you earn the right to read this one.

Comment

They just put it on the want to read list! Everyone is optimistic about their want to read

Comment

@Sean 95 books completed, that's some going once again.

I see you read alot of Taleb's relatively recently. What did you think?

I never got to the Bed of Procrustes or Skin in the Game. I kind of lost interest after Anti-Fragile.

Overall, I thought Fooled by Randomness was comfortably his best offering and The Black Swan or AntiFragile didn't really warrant it's own book.

The concept of the Black Swan coincided quite well with the last financial crash so he really took off but outside of the first book he was a let down for me.

One book in the domain of risk/uncertainty that I think is brilliant is: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ainst_the_Gods

Basically a historical account of how risk and uncertainty became a field.

Comment

Moving onto from LBJ (but eagerly awaiting Vol V), it's always nice to read about places you have never been and realistically never will be.

So picked up the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig, John Gimlette's tour through Paraguay. Gimlette is a fluent, learned writer and I've read previous books on Sri Lanka, the NE South American Coast, the trail of the US Amrmy through France in 1945 and other such diverse topics.

And let's face it, who knows anything about Paraguay? The only book I've ever read about it before was Graham Greene's The Honorary Consul.
                                                                                                          And the title is awesome.

Comment

Hearing rumours of an August 2020 release date for the 3rd Rothfuss book.
                                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                              Hearing rumours of an August 2020 release date for the 3rd Rothfuss book.
                                                                                                              Really hope you're right, but at this stage, I'll believe it when I see it!

Comment

They look like great lists, thanks. Flicking through the short stories collections and wondering how it is I have never even heard of Colin Barrett.
                                                                                                                Would know him well, incredibly talented.

Comment

@Sean 95 books completed, that's some going once again.

I see you read a lot of Taleb's relatively recently. What did you think?

I never got to the Bed of Procrustes or Skin in the Game. I kind of lost interest after Anti-Fragile.....
                                                                                                                  Taleb annoys me - I find his sermonising tone and choppy writing style problematic. However, there's validity in some of what he says even if the illustrative individual consequences he often mentions are unrealistic outside of his location and field.

I think it's probably worth observing that online poker players and former poker players are probably the worst audience for the points he is attempting to make, since persisting with the sorts of errors he feels are most egregious leads to lessons not soon forgotten over a sufficient sample size. I think it's also a fair observation that he has too many books and an insufficient number of unique points to make.

At one time I built models of catastrophic events so some of his points resonate but baring that tangential interest I've not enjoyed them. The exception being "Bed of Procrustes", books of aphorisms are a failing of mine and this one is quite good even if the Taleb tone persists. A friend met him at Kilkenomics a few years ago and apparently he's even more tedious in-person - if such a thing can be believed.

Comment

On this years reading.

To be frank I've mostly been annoyed by my reading list this year - we the exception of the 10/12 titles I re-read which were as pleasant as meeting old friends and some recommendations received from here which were universally good.

Reading Borgia's Ficciones was a long-held ambition. It's beautifully done and elegantly clever. I'm sure some to the allusions and references escaped me but that didn't detract from the experience.

I had a surprisingly emotional reaction to A Man called Ove. I enjoyed it a great deal thanks for recommending it Hitch.

Why we sleep had a huge impact on my year and will continue to have a significant impact on my life I think - thank you, Denny Crane.

I am pilgrim was easily the winning page-turner - hat tip to Shrap for that I think.

Small Giants is a great book about what makes companies great. And I think about what types of companies great owners should strive to create. Would that it was more widely read.

Patrick Leigh Fermor is a fascinating character. A time of gifts is a fascinating chronicle of a most extra-ordinary time and journey. This takes a bit of getting in to but ultimately I found it rewarding.

Kevin Barry's Night boat to tangier is beautifully written as you'd expect. He has such a gift for capturing an authentic voice and idiom it's a pleasure to read.

I'm usually a big fan of John Connolly's Charlie Parker series, however this year's offering was a little weak I think, still good but not to the standard of the earlier ones.

Among the others
                                                                                                                    Chris Stewart - Driving over lemons is witty and entertaining in places. The two of Geoff Hill's(In Clancys Boots & The road to Gobblers Knob) I read were entertaining enough. Reading 2 of these close together was less than ideal though - I find his style of humour grows stale.

Slough House is a series of spy novels, slightly in the gritty Le Carre mould, with the addition of a Blackstrom-esk anti hero in Jackson Lamb. This is mental candyfloss I read them all in a couple of weeks and enjoyed them greatly. The candy floss comment might also be applied to Iain Pears Jonathon Argyll Series but the plots are noticeably worse.

I changed how I work during the year in order to have more free time, I've enjoyed that a lot but I rather expected to have an increased desire to read and it turned out if anything I had less, at least until the winter set in.

I feel the standard of my reading list was at least in part to blame. I'm more of a fiction than non-fiction reader and seldom find myself in the humour for heavy literary works. I'm thinking of creating a more structured reading list for next year something like
                                                                                                                    • a handful of acknowledged classics ( I haven't read In search of lost time for example)
                                                                                                                    • some non-fiction from the to-read list
                                                                                                                    • some modern fiction sourced perhaps from one of the recently posted lists.

Have any of you tried that? Or alternatively, what approaches do people have to generating a reading list?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                                                                                                                        .

I feel the standard of my reading list was at least in part to blame. I'm more of a fiction than non-fiction reader and seldom find myself in the humour for heavy literary works. I'm thinking of creating a more structured reading list for next year something like
                                                                                                                        • a handful of acknowledged classics ( I haven't read In search of lost time for example)
                                                                                                                        • some non-fiction from the to-read list
                                                                                                                        • some modern fiction sourced perhaps from one of the recently posted lists.

Have any of you tried that? Or alternatively, what approaches do people have to generating a reading list?
                                                                                                                        On the point regarding Taleb, I found the odd tweet from him unbearable. I don't use Twitter too often but I had to unfollow him.
                                                                                                                        I watched a large portion of a religious themed discussion featuring him, he made a follow up point to Dan Dennett, no need to expand on how that ended.

On the above, something I planned on trying last year but will do this year is a couple of themed months.
                                                                                                                        I like Farnam street, Sam Harris and just goodreads for suggestions. I think the group here is quite good.

I had the idea of the theme because I struggled -as Hitch will agree to an extent- with Superintelligence by Bostrom.
                                                                                                                        After that, I assumed that by making an AI, Physics, Philosophy or any other challenging subject themed month you might grasp concepts more firmly and the books may become less challenging as they progress.

That's not saying it will work but its something I plan on trying.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 02-01-20, 21:10.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X