No announcement yet.

What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

managed to find the complete caro LBJ series in hardback for $45, should arrive in 3-6 days

Comment

Finding time to read lately. Had Shantaram on the bookshelf for years so picked it up the other day.

Very enjoyable so far.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
        managed to find the complete caro LBJ series in hardback for $45, should arrive in 3-6 days
        Say goodbye to May
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Loving the Michael Jordan documentary at the moment so planning to try a book about him. I've gotten great enjoyment out of sports books in the last couple of years. Anyone have one in particular to recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
            Loving the Michael Jordan documentary at the moment so planning to try a book about him. I've gotten great enjoyment out of sports books in the last couple of years. Anyone have one in particular to recommend?
            Lowbrow tip here-Paul Mersons autobiography
            “PSV was right all along” -Hitch 20 May 2019

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
              Lowbrow tip here-Paul Mersons autobiography
              I meant a Jordan book but I hear that Merston one is a hoot

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                Sam Smith has two decent-ish books about him. The first one is the Jordan rules, can't remember name of second one.

Comment

Struggling to enjoy a book properly since A Gentleman In Moscow.

Going to take on Apeirogon now and cure this malaise.

and then Deacon King Kong...might even read that first. Feel like I am basing my choices on Goodreads ratings which is always dangerous ground.
                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 07-05-20, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    and then Deacon King Kong...might even read that first. Feel like I am basing my choices on Goodreads ratings which is always dangerous ground.
                    OK, that was a winner. Set in the Cause House projects of Brooklyn in 1969, just as the heroin epidemic is about to take hold and ghettoise the city. An old drunk called Sportcoat walks up to the most feared drug dealer in the 'hood and shoots him in the head. Why did he do it? What happens next?
                    A richly-textured story then unfolds with a range of beautifully-imagined characters. Sportcoat himself, Hot Sausage, The Haitian Sensation, Sister Gee, Bum-Bum, Pudgy Fingers and a slient Italian gangster called Elephant being just some. Told in a mixture of authentic black conversation and some beautifully elegaic prose, the story itself is gripping but the characters come to livable, infuriating, terrifying life. With a little help from a streetwise cop, free cheese from Jesus, illegal moonshine, baseball and the Nation of Islam of course. Good mostly triumphs over evil and ol' Sportcoat is a truly wonderful personality.

Get yourself a bottle of King Kong and sit down with this tale. I'd never heard of this author before now but will be seeking out his works.

4.5/5

Comment

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...14707-unfollow

Just finished this, a remarkable insight into life in the hate group that is Westboro Baptist Church, and well written too as the Author eventually leaves her family, and everything they thought her to be, behind.

Also reading this, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/156783.Axiomatic
                      20 years after I first read it, and it's still excellent, "Into Darkness" and "Learning to be me" are two of the best science fiction short stories I have read.

Looking for recommendations on anything on World War 2 and in particular the years leading up to it if anyone can help.

Comment

Daemon is very good for anyone that liked e.g. Snow Crash, Ready Player One. Highly enjoyable.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Stated a audio book last week. And only finished chapter 1 today
                          Was only 20 mins long, but I’d put in on in bed and I just kept falling asleep.

Probably more suited to people who go to bed at a normal time.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Its well worth it but there are parts that are tough going.
                            Read Declan Kiberd's Reading Ulysses its a great guide.
                            Couldn't find that, is it in Ulysses and Us or something else?

Comment

EDIT: reading comprehension fail

Comment

Read a James Patterson book for the first time ever yesterday (after decades of walking by stacks of his books in airports ). Was looking for some sludge.

Pros: can read without needing to engage brain in any way. Short.
                                Cons; my God, some shite.

Comment

Is Artemis by Andy Weir worth an Audible credit or should I save it for something better?

Comment

'Billion Dollar Hollywood heist' is another take from a person who was a regular in Molly's game. It isn't great but fills in a few blanks, gives names, and is a decent popcorn Audiobook to while away a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      Daemon is very good for anyone that liked e.g. Snow Crash, Ready Player One. Highly enjoyable.
                                      Great story. Moved on to the next (and last) in the series Freedom. Also very good. These would be ideal relaxing time reads. Maybe if you have a few days with not much to do.

Comment

I know the TV series McMafia is held in high regard, the book is also really good. Gives a really cool and detailed insight into Eastern Europe/Russia and how organised crime blew up there. Socioeconomic and political circumstances are so intertwined with organised crime, really interesting viewing history through that lens.
                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          Going to take on Apeirogon now and cure this malaise.
                                          Apeirogon was a let-down from my perspective. It's a novel without fiction, somewhat in the style of our old friend Javier Cercas, that tells the story of two bereaved fathers from opposite sides of the Palestinian-Israeli divide. The two fathers themselves are inspirational figures, Bassam and Rami, who have rejected violent solutions and instead seek to use the deaths of their daughters to bring the two sides together and promote peace.

My problem is with the style of the book - it's irritating, There are well over a thousand 'chapters' and, in the style of Cercas, many digressions - some of which are illuminating and some of which are just plain annoying. This lends the book a jerky quality in which the narrative doesn't flow easily. Maybe this was McCann's intent, I don't know but it's annoying. Far from his best work like Let The Great World Spin (the hero of which gets a little vignette in this one) or This Side of Brightness.

This could be a truly uplifting book but the mannerisms he chose fail the story itself. 3/5

Comment

OK, buckle up Book People. I found a winner.

The book is The Sympathizer, by Viet Than Nguyen. It tells the tale of The Captain (many of the characters are known only by their titles, such as The General, The Commandant, The Crapulous Major, The Commissar, My Father the Priest etc), a shadowy figure with a tragic backstory, in the South Vietnamese military who is the right hand man of the General, one of the doughtiest anti-Communist fighters in the Saigon regime. Now however, their allies the Americans have abandoned them to their fate at the hands of the Viet Cong and, as Saigon's defences crumble, they seek aid, and get it, from the CIA in making good their escape. First to the Philippines and then to America. The book then charts their travails in Los Angeles, the dubious political and military games they engage in, before the circle is completed with The Captain's return to now-unified Communist Vietnam to carry out a doomed mission.

The title however hints at the ambiguity within the book, The Captain is actually a Communist double agent and has been so since his childhood. All his actions are ultimately undertaken under orders from his handler and to the detriment of the revenants. The book is subtly plotted, contains wonderful imagery and characters, and, rather surprisingly given the subject matter, is extremely funny - especially in its observations on the ignorance and cultural stupidities of both Orient and Occident alike.

This one won the Pulitzer Prize in 2016 and I can easily see why. An excellent investment of your time imo.

5/5

Comment

Deep work was a worthwhile read. Hitch must subscribe to the idea in order to publish so much?

I see Keane didn't rate it too highly though.

I did feel the author laboured the point in parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                Deep work was a worthwhile read. Hitch must subscribe to the idea in order to publish so much?

I think I liked it a lot early on but by the end thought it was a bit over-laboured maybe. It's a fairly limited point he's squeezing a book out of.

I use the Goodreads stars based on what they say when you hover over them, i.e. * didn't like it, ** it was ok, *** liked it, **** really liked it, ***** amazing

I like Cal Newport in general.

Comment

Sapiens, A Brief History of Humankind. First good book in a while for me

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Definitely overlaboured, but I find I appreciate having something repeatedly banged into me to order to get it to sink in.

Think its just about the only difference between researchers: those that selfishly batter away intrusions on their time doing deep work and those that don't. Really it involves being comfortable with letting people down, at least in the early stages of that career, until you build up a head of steam. I'd imagine its the same in most careers.

Comment

The City We Became by Jeminsin (Broken Earth saga) seems like it should be amaaaaazzzzing.

Hideous apparitions attack NYC, as Jemisin has ‘a little monstrous fun’ after the Broken Earth saga

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        The City We Became by Jeminsin (Broken Earth saga) seems like it should be amaaaaazzzzing.
                                                        Massive fan of jemisin. Sadly gave this one up after 100 pages

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Massive fan of jemisin. Sadly gave this one up after 100 pages
                                                          ah no!

Comment

Working...
                                                          X