No announcement yet.

What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is this thread not being updated in our current world? Read more!

I have become fairly addicted to the morose Italian detective, Aurelio Zen, and am just polishing off End Games, #11 in the series. Need to move onto something else.

I did mix in some Australian fiction, The Lost Man by Jane Harper and also Scrublands by Chris Hammer. Found them both rattlingly good reads as well as conveying the sense of limitlessness of woop woop (as the Aussies call the outback) and the isolating capacity of same.

As an aside, I once pulled into an outback pub, ordered a beer and got talking to the owner.
    "Nice place you've got here"
    "Thanks. You want to buy it?"

He was literally being driven mad by the oppressive emptiness. These books have that as part of their themes. And let's face it, it's not often Australians produce anything worth reading that's longer than a menu.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
      Hearing rumours of an August 2020 release date for the 3rd Rothfuss book.
      Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
      Really hope you're right, but at this stage, I'll believe it when I see it!
      I believe Pokerhand may have mentioned Rothfuss prior to this post but this was the most recent mention of it.

It's the best fiction book I can recall reading. I don't read lots of fiction and initially I thought it wasn't as good as I Am Pilgrim but I was wrong. It is absolutely fantastic.

I'm under strict instructions to stop buying books until I cull a few but I couldn't help buy the follow up and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

The Name of the Wind for those interested: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...me_of_the_Wind

I won't give a long review but I thought worth highlighting for those who may have missed it.

Comment

Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow.

It's not often I use the word 'delightful' but this really was a spirit-lifting delight of a book. I would say it is the perfect antidote to the current stuff going on outside the windows.

It is the tale of Count Alexander Rostov, a Former Person, who has been confined to genteel imprisonment for life n the grand surroundings of the Metropol Hotel in Moscow following the Bolshevik Revolution. He may not leave the hotel and it becomes his entire universe. I won't say too much about the plot but it unfolds over several decades as the Count, an optimist and a gentleman to the core, makes the best of his reduced circumstances and still manages to live a wonderful, rich life. The Count himself is one of the best literary characters I have ever encountered, just genius. We could all learn something from him. The supporting cast who become the Count's circle of acquaintances are also beautifully described. The sweep of history's parabola is always there in the background intruding on events but the Count, much like the Dude in the Big Lenbowski, abides. And thrives. And the ending is perfect.

This is a just a beauty of a book. It is probably the best book I have read in a decade.

5 full stars

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          How is this thread not being updated in our current world? Read more!

I have become fairly addicted to the morose Italian detective, Aurelio Zen, and am just polishing off End Games, #11 in the series. Need to move onto something else.
          Will check this out. Any other recommendations for detective books? I have a liking for the genre but don't know much about it. I loved all the Chandler books, thought the early John Connolly books were decent, but gave up on I am Pilgrim half way through. Haven't really tried anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
            Will check this out. Any other recommendations for detective books? I have a liking for the genre but don't know much about it. I loved all the Chandler books, thought the early John Connolly books were decent, but gave up on I am Pilgrim half way through. Haven't really tried anyone else.
            Give us a sub-genre you like

for LA detective fiction, the Elvis Cole private eye books by Robert Crais are pretty decent.

Also enjoyed the IQ books by Joe Ide for a different and cooler vibe on the LA genre.

Comment

2 series of detective fiction books I quite enjoyed are Barbara Nadels Ikmen series based in Istanbul & The Adamsberg series by Fred Vargas based in Paris

@RDIII - great recommendation on A Gentleman in Moscow - it's one of the best things I've read in years. A really well-crafted novel, perfect phrasing and character development a pleasure to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                2 series of detective fiction books I quite enjoyed are Barbara Nadels Ikmen series based in Istanbul & The Adamsberg series by Fred Vargas based in Paris

@RDIII - great recommendation on A Gentleman in Moscow - it's one of the best things I've read in years. A really well-crafted novel, perfect phrasing and character development a pleasure to read.
                absolutely love the adamsberg series, have read all of them. Another French series i really enjoyed is the marseilles trilogy by Jean Claude Izzo

Comment

Quarantine is having some positive impact on my leisure pursuits, notably rekindling a love of reading. Eased back in revisiting my favourite book, Cannery Row by Steinbeck. Flew through The Way Home (Mark Boyle) in a few days, really well timed content. I'm definitely not someone that would transition into that type of lifestyle but it leaves a compelling desire to reduce technology addiction without forcing his perspective too much. Moved onto Extreme Ownership but that's been pretty poor for the first 50 or so pages.

Comment

Just started 'The Kindly Ones' by Jonathan Littell.

Maybe discussed before.

Started it last night so only 70 pages deep. But it's about a former SS officer writing his memories of Poland and the push to Stalingrad.

Comment

Originally posted by Raekwon View Post
                      Just started 'The Kindly Ones' by Jonathan Littell.

Maybe discussed before.

Started it last night so only 70 pages deep. But it's about a former SS officer writing his memories of Poland and the push to Stalingrad.
                      sounds like a cheerful read in the midst of a pandemic

Comment

Great stuff lads, will keep me going for a while.

I’m on a Texas buzz at the minute, have just finished the first volume of Caro’s LBJ biography mentioned by RD earlier (wow), watched Hell or High Water at the weekend and half way through Friday Night Lights with the missis. Starting Cormac McCarthy’s Cities of the Plain now to keep the streak going.

Comment

I mainly read non-fiction (always a book or 2 on the go). Just finished two excellent reads

1. Bitcoin Billionaires by Ben Mezrich
                          All about the Winklevoss twins and their story from Facebook on. I've read a number of Mezrich books and all are excellent.

2.Bad Blood,Secrets and Lies
                          The story of the Therano's scam and Elizabeth Holmes

Comment

Great stuff lads, will keep me going for a while.

I’m on a Texas buzz at the minute, have just finished the first volume of Caro’s LBJ biography mentioned by RD earlier (wow), watched Hell or High Water at the weekend and half way through Friday Night Lights with the missis. Starting Cormac McCarthy’s Cities of the Plain now to keep the streak going.
                            this is a decent read

Read this years ago and loved it, has gone viral recently since joe rogan talked about it.

Comment

I'm reading The Remains of the Day at the moment which I'm finding totally charming. Listening to a sci-fi book called the Reality Dysfunction on Audible that while definitely well crafted is way too long and has several POVs too many.

Comment

In our current time of morbidity one that I've recommended in the past which is fantastic is All The Remains: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...l-that-remains

An overview of the life & work of a forensic anthropologist from every day deaths, murders and war. It's odd to say but throughout the entire book there is a feeling of tranquility almost, it's humourous and lighthearted but not so much as you lose the importance of her work.

The care, attention and rationality she evokes throughout is comforting, you feel as though it's someone who truly cares, not for the person per se but the integrity of the human body.

Nothing gruesome nor nothing overly scientific, more of a memoir of a normal person who just happens to have a peculiar job that they simply love.

I'm likely doing an injustice in describing the book but it is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                  absolutely love the adamsberg series, have read all of them. Another French series i really enjoyed is the marseilles trilogy by Jean Claude Izzo
                                  Just tried the first of them, Total Chaos.

Wasn't crazy about it, primarily due to the plot being insistent that the protagonist rode 4 beautiful women in the space of a few days while being hammered drunk most of the time.

Some nice Marseilles flavour to balance the bullshit though.

A grudging 3 rounded up from 2.5

Comment

I'm trying to increase my reading this year and have a modest target of 12 books. That said, I'm still only 3/4 way through my first one!

Am thinking of picking up a few together to help kick start things a bit.

Having gone through this thread a bit, I've picked the following five to buy

A Gentleman in Moscow
                                    Why we sleep
                                    I am Pilgrim
                                    Night Boat to Tangier
                                    There are little Kingdoms

Any reason why I should omit one of these for something else?

Comment

I Am Pilgrim is very long if that's a consideration

Comment

As Keane said it is long but I wouldn't let that deter you.

It doesn't seem as long imo, you fly through it, hard to put down.

A Man Called Ove is quite nice & The Name of the Wind is excellent. They'd be two I'd consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                          I'm trying to increase my reading this year and have a modest target of 12 books. That said, I'm still only 3/4 way through my first one!

Am thinking of picking up a few together to help kick start things a bit.

Having gone through this thread a bit, I've picked the following five to buy

A Gentleman in Moscow
                                          Why we sleep
                                          I am Pilgrim
                                          Night Boat to Tangier

For diversity sake I'd only read one Kevin Barry "There are little kingdoms" would be my choice.

This about Claude Shannon is a great read if a little long.

Comment

Currently reading The Story of The Stone by Barry Hughart.

Got put onto his previous book Bridge of Birds when it was mentioned by Patrick Rothfuss who wrote The Name of the Wind, recommend above. He was replying to a question about whether there was a book he felt was close to perfectly written.

For a short novel it packed a lot in with humour, great pacing and a nice diversion from some of the other fantasy stuff I've read over the last year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

A Gentleman in Moscow
                                              Why we sleep
                                              I am Pilgrim
                                              Night Boat to Tangier

If you're buying Kevin Barry books then I presume you have read City of Bohane, if not get that, head and shoulders above Night Boat to Tangier.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                If you're buying Kevin Barry books then I presume you have read City of Bohane, if not get that, head and shoulders above Night Boat to Tangier.
                                                I didn't read Night Boat to Tangier yet, but while I found City of Bohane interesting I thought There Are Little Kingdoms was a masterpiece, just FWIW

Comment

Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow.

It's not often I use the word 'delightful' but this really was a spirit-lifting delight of a book. I would say it is the perfect antidote to the current stuff going on outside the windows.

It is the tale of Count Alexander Rostov, a Former Person, who has been confined to genteel imprisonment for life n the grand surroundings of the Metropol Hotel in Moscow following the Bolshevik Revolution. He may not leave the hotel and it becomes his entire universe. I won't say too much about the plot but it unfolds over several decades as the Count, an optimist and a gentleman to the core, makes the best of his reduced circumstances and still manages to live a wonderful, rich life. The Count himself is one of the best literary characters I have ever encountered, just genius. We could all learn something from him. The supporting cast who become the Count's circle of acquaintances are also beautifully described. The sweep of history's parabola is always there in the background intruding on events but the Count, much like the Dude in the Big Lenbowski, abides. And thrives. And the ending is perfect.

This is a just a beauty of a book. It is probably the best book I have read in a decade.

5 full stars
                                                  Not sure how or why but just discovered this on my newly stylised bookshelves, wife has split it all up so there's memories of our travels, photos etc. Saw the few books she has added to it and the name rung a bell

Comment

sounds like a cheerful read in the midst of a pandemic
                                                    I have gotten fairly deep into this. As you say not for the faint of heart by any means!!!

It is jaw dropping to be honest.

It is total ficton with regards to the characters. But I am in no doubt that the content is pretty accurate.

I did a Google of the title as it was a gift. Turns out it was originally published in French and won a huge amount of awards but super controversial given the contents.

I will probably see it through.

Comment

Have been reading lot about the usa and travel in general. Guess its because i'm cooped up.

Started with Paul theroux and preferred his african follow up the last train than the classic dark star safari. I was fascinated by his deep south sojourn and the comparisons he makes to life in africa. well worth reading

paul theroux dark star safari

paul theroux the last train to zona verde

paul theroux deep south

Jenny Diski stranger on a train

more a series of conversations as she is on the train travelling around usa. There's a wonderful 2 page description of smoking and why she loves it so much.

nicholas dawidoff in the country of country

travelling around the usa based on country music and its locations, its a good insight to these places and the people that came from there.

blue highways a journey into america

this is next on the list to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        I didn't read Night Boat to Tangier yet, but while I found City of Bohane interesting I thought There Are Little Kingdoms was a masterpiece, just FWIW
                                                        In truth Barry is a better short story writer or short play playwright than novelist. I actually find him quite an immature writer. Funny and dark, but emotionally lacking and uninsightful.

I was reading Donal Ryan's From a Low and Quiet Sea at around the same time as Night Boat to Tangier, and I remember thinking at one point having read a sentence that Kevin Barry would be utterly incapable of writing a line that deep and emotionally resonant. Mind you very few authors can write a line that makes you put down the book for a minute to absorb its impact quite like Ryan.

The last novel I read was The Art of Hearing Heartbeats. I really liked it. I think it's a beautiful book, but I wouldn't advise it for the cynical.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            Keep seeing the Holmes book everywhere - is it really so good that its worth reading even if you already know all the headlines?
                                                            It's the tiger King of silicon valley. By page 50 it should all be over yet it continues to deliver. We'll worth a read.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                                              I mainly read non-fiction (always a book or 2 on the go). Just finished two excellent reads

1. Bitcoin Billionaires by Ben Mezrich
                                                              All about the Winklevoss twins and their story from Facebook on. I've read a number of Mezrich books and all are excellent.

2.Bad Blood,Secrets and Lies
                                                              The story of the Therano's scam and Elizabeth Holmes
                                                              Will order these two and A Gentleman in Moscow now.

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                              As Keane said it is long but I wouldn't let that deter you.

It doesn't seem as long imo, you fly through it, hard to put down.

A Man Called Ove is quite nice & The Name of the Wind is excellent. They'd be two I'd consider.
                                                              A man called Ove was an enjoyable film too.

Just finished reading Eat The Rich by PJ ORourke, hadn

Comment

Get on the JG farrell train
                                                                The troubles/sublime
                                                                Singapore sling excellent so far
                                                                Siege of krishnapur???

Comment

I read the Last Ones Left Alive by Sarah Davis Goff, I thought it was excellent. It's a post-apocalyptic thriller set in Ireland. I really loved how she made it quite a uniquely Irish book, skillfully blending out folklore and language in with the familiar world of zombies and hunger. The action scenes are particularly well described. It took me quite a while to read because I didn't want to read it at night have the skrake chase me through my dreams.

Comment

Got through Tuesdays with Morrie & A Long Way Gone over the weekend; both well timed consumption. Tuesdays with Morrie isn't the most alluring writing but certainly an enjoyable, quick read; A Long Way Gone is the first biography of war I've read, and was beyond captivating. I struggled to put it down and the descriptive writing immediately draws you into the author's experience despite it's alienness to me.

Comment

Comment

Yeah. It's instantly amazing. Cheers.
                                                                        I don't recall any one situation where I thought "That is unbelievable, how did she get away with this?".

However, it's the sheer volume of instances that retrospectively raise immediate red flags that make you think how did that possibly become a $9b company?

That said, her and Sonny are weird

Comment

Comment

Four months into the year and it's a nice round read of:

13 nonfiction
                                                                            13 fiction
                                                                            13 graphic novels

That's a fine haul for this point of the year. All hail corona. So many great books, especially non-fiction. And the newfound love of graphic novels is a brilliant addition.

Seem to be hitting a nice stride of a fiction and a nonfiction a week, while also indulging a minor renaissance in movie watching.
                                                                            Out of curiosity, I'll have to try a graphic novel given how many you have read. Some of you amaze me at the amount you get through, especially with the non-fiction.

On a side note, does anyone use AppleBooks opposed to Kindle?

I'm thinking of putting any new purchases through it as I'm having issues with an Amazon account so I don't want to split my books across two accounts.

Comment

...

Comment

Four months into the year and it's a nice round read of:

13 nonfiction
                                                                                13 fiction
                                                                                13 graphic novels

That's a fine haul for this point of the year. All hail corona. So many great books, especially non-fiction. And the newfound love of graphic novels is a brilliant addition.

Seem to be hitting a nice stride of a fiction and a nonfiction a week, while also indulging a minor renaissance in movie watching.
                                                                                That's really impressive amount Hitch. I don't know how you mange that on top of internet and other shite.

3 months into the year and I've managed
                                                                                1/2 a Book (fiction)
                                                                                1 instructional video

Comment

May be of interest

https://www.zavvi.com/home/books/dc-comics.list?utm_source=28032020-zuk-merch-send-new-preorders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=28032020-zuk-merch-send-new-preorders&affil=thgemail&ecrmcid=gbRXa7wDjA0lzv9lapbrW5y26Z8xoNKn&shae=giHDOEqNo%2BIIix9vuVsH16anHzPcaSNqBxY0QUna7ZI%3D&sendTime=1585396800&widget_id=1754300 €23.79 with delivery…

Comment

...

Comment

Reading The Name of the Wind this long weekend and it's just the most glorious read.
                                                                                      Props to Pokerhand & Shrap on that one. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have the sequel lined up once I finish A Gentleman in Moscow which is excellent, hard to put down.

I was reading a Ben McIntyre book before picking it up and it just pales in comparison.

One for RD3 most likely but obviously others too. Any suggestions for some modern American history, I'm thinking pre WW1 until maybe the end of Vietnam?

I have Max Hastings offering on the Vietnam War which I believe is quite good but I wouldn't mind starting with something a little earlier.

I went to buy the first of Caro's Lyndon Johnson books on Kindle but it appears it is only in physical form so I'll pick it up a later date.

Comment

One for RD3 most likely but obviously others too. Any suggestions for some modern American history, I'm thinking pre WW1 until maybe the end of Vietnam?

I went to buy the first of Caro's Lyndon Johnson books on Kindle but it appears it is only in physical form so I'll pick it up a later date.
                                                                                        The Caro books are the history of America, not just LBJ.

Other ones I like are Truman, The Coldest Winter, The Fifties and The Best and The Brightest

Comment

The Caro books are the history of America, not just LBJ.

Other ones I like are Truman, The Coldest Winter, The Fifties and The Best and The Brightest
                                                                                          I've heard of David Halberstam for his basketball book which is apparently one of the best in that genre.

I see you gave it a 4 star.

Comment

Read Night Boat to Tangier, have to confess not blown away and 3/5 only for me.
                                                                                            Also Rules of Civility, Amor Towles (A Gentleman in Moscow) first book. Another lush beauty of a read, although didn't grab me to quite the same extreme - very reminiscent of The Great Gatsby and I imagine Towles is hugely influenced by Scott Fitzgerald. 4.25/5

And I tried out a new travel book, Around the World in Eighty Trains. It's not quite Paul Theroux and it's not quite round the world but it works well enough as the author takes a rather dizzying succession of trains across the Northern hemisphere only in the company of her fiance. Canada is where I want to entrain on the back of this one. 3.5/5.

Now moving onto John le Carre's latest, I do find a lot of his dialogue stilted but the plotting and acerbic worldview are always welcome. And anyone who can still be at the top of their game nearly 60 years after they started has to be admired.

Comment

I've heard of David Halberstam for his basketball book which is apparently one of the best in that genre.

Yeah, I know fuck all about basketball but really enjoyed that book. Very unusual to find someone whose skills can span such disparate genres (history and sports).

Comment

...

Comment

Name of the Wind was such a good read from start to finish. Just taking a wee breather before jumping into his next monstrosity.
                                                                                                  The Slow Regard of Silent Things is well worth a read after. Completely different tone but a nice companion piece

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                                    The Slow Regard of Silent Things is well worth a read after. Completely different tone but a nice companion piece
                                                                                                    Glad to hear that, I wasn't aware it was a novella when I bought the follow ups. Wise Man's Fear is my next fiction.

It was between that and Rules of Civility but I don't want to forget too much of Kvothe.

Also @Denny, the 2nd volume of Mental Models is in Kindle form, not sure if you've seen it yet: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085HY11NF?tag=farstrblo-21

Comment

This thread really is an excellent resource, discovered some cracking books from it, WP all.

Comment

Now moving onto John le Carre's latest, I do find a lot of his dialogue stilted but the plotting and acerbic worldview are always welcome. And anyone who can still be at the top of their game nearly 60 years after they started has to be admired.
                                                                                                        safe to say JLC is on form:

You know what Trump is?’

‘Tell me.’

‘He’s Putin’s shithouse cleaner. He does everything for little Vladi that little Vladi can’t do for himself: pisses on European unity, pisses on human rights, pisses on NATO. Assures us that Crimea and Ukraine belong to the Holy Russian Empire, the Middle East belongs to the Jews and the Saudis, and to hell with the world order. And you Brits, what do you do? You suck his dick and invite him to tea with your Queen

Comment

Yeah, I know fuck all about basketball but really enjoyed that book. Very unusual to find someone whose skills can span such disparate genres (history and sports).
                                                                                                          It's very good alright. I thoroughly enjoyed a season the brink by John feinstein, it's about college basketball in Indiana and larger than life coach Bob Knight

Comment

...

Comment

Ahhhh, A Gentleman in Moscow! Such an uplifting and elegant read.
                                                                                                              just arrived today

Comment

I can't find the thread now, I think it's called something like '10 books to read before the apocalypse'. On boards anyway. But last week some chap who had previously listed a very solid ten came back and said he was after reading this book Lonesome Dove I see now that it won the Pulitzer in the 80s but I have never before heard of either it or the author.

Anyway I'm only 10% into it but so far it's really, really good. Is this a well known book that has just passed me by?
                                                                                                                Last edited by Keane; 27-04-20, 16:00.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                    I can't find the thread now, I think it's called something like '10 books to read before the apocalypse'. On boards anyway. But last week some chap who had previously listed a very solid ten came back and said he was after reading this book Lonesome Dove I see now that it won the Pulitzer in the 80s but I have never before heard of either it or the author.

Anyway I'm only 10% into it but so far it's really, really good. Is this a well known book that has just passed me by?
                                                                                                                    Yeah very much so... Everyone was reading them in the 90's I loved it but never got around to the rest of the series, or watching the very successful movie, I must give the books a go.
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

There was a point about three years ago when everyone on this thread was reading it. So I bought it then. Just remember it being very long so was waiting for a suitable quiet period to read it, which never turned up, and its been sitting on the kindle ever since.
                                                                                                                        That's gas. I must do a trawl back through the thread actually haven't done so in a good while.

Comment

managed to find the complete caro LBJ series in hardback for $45, should arrive in 3-6 days

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X