X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mortality was quite enjoyable IIRC.

Also reading a Shrap recommendation at the moment albeit from the other place - a fantasy book called The Fifth Season. Enjoyable about 1/3 of the way in, I get the sense it could really take off.

Also doing a guilty pleasure listen to Ready Player One yet again.

Comment

Just finished The mountain shadow by Gregory Roberts, which is the sequel to Shantaram.

Now Shantaram is a phenomenal book, so it was always going to be difficult to reach those dizzy heights again. The sequel takes you back to the same place but fails to deliver in the same manner and falls very short.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          It's a great book. Just reading it now. Top notch recommending.
          cracking read. I'm actually going to where the denouement takes place this summer. Looking forward to visiting the sights in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
            Mortality was quite enjoyable IIRC.

Also reading a Shrap recommendation at the moment albeit from the other place - a fantasy book called The Fifth Season. Enjoyable about 1/3 of the way in, I get the sense it could really take off.

Also doing a guilty pleasure listen to Ready Player One yet again.
            just read this for the 1st time today. Very enjoyable read. Any other guilty pleasures that you recommend?
            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
              cracking read. I'm actually going to where the denouement takes place this summer. Looking forward to visiting the sights in question.
              That book has been gathering dust in my place for three years. Just can't seem to make myself finish it. Think I am only 5 pages in.
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                That book has been gathering dust in my place for three years. Just can't seem to make myself finish it. Think I am only 5 pages in.
                lol, "5 pages in" does not go with a "can't finish it" comment. 5 pages in doesn't even qualify as "starting it"
                Last edited by shrapnel; 07-04-18, 15:19.

Comment

lol, "5 pages in" does not go with a "can't finish it" comment. 5 pages in doesn't even qualify as "starting it"
                  Ha, I know, very much tounge in cheek comment. Honestly have to restart the book as can't remember where I am with it.

Comment

just read this for the 1st time today. Very enjoyable read. Any other guilty pleasures that you recommend?
                    Not really a guilty pleasure but I find myself re-listening to Roger Zelazny reading his Nine Princes In Amber and the subsequent books several times a year.

It's fantasy as such but written in almost a noir-ish style with the main character a bit like Humphrey Bogart in the Maltese Falcon. I guess he's my favourite character in all of literature.

Another world class recommendation from Shrap actually!
                    Last edited by Keane; 07-04-18, 16:29.

Comment

Not really a guilty pleasure but I find myself re-listening to Roger Zelazny reading his Nine Princes In Amber and the subsequent books several times a year.

It's fantasy as such but written in almost a noir-ish style with the main character a bit like Humphrey Bogart in the Maltese Falcon. I guess he's my favourite character in all of literature.

Another world class recommendation from Shrap actually!
                      Actually, that's a great idea for a few posts here. The list of books/series we've read 5 or 10 times and consider our "guilty pleasures". I'll post mine up next week.

Comment

Guilty pleasures. books you've read so many times you just can't remember, but you'll still probably read them 10 times more:

Ender's trilogy (ender's game, speaker for the dead and xenocide) by Orson Scott Card. from the battle room, to the piggies to the hive queen, i just never tire of these stories. It probably also helps that i read them when very young so they always stayed fresh in my mind.

The Hyperion and Endymion series by Dan Simmons: My favorite Sci fi series ever. I've read them countless times and still get excited at every re-read.

Perfume:the story of a murderer by Patrick Suskind. The story of grenouille is just such an incredible journey. Gripped from the first page to the last every time. If you haven't read it or don't know it, just pick it up and read it. A crime novel like no other.

Stone Junction by Jim Dodge. Not sure why, but i never mention this book, even though it's one of my favorites. i read it every other year and this since the early 90s. Some might say a spiritual book dressed up as an adventure, full of amazing characters. It never ceases to put a smile on my face, and makes me want to believe in magic.

I'll think of a few more but those just spring to mind straight away.

Comment

Guilty pleasures:

Empire trilogy by Fiest/watts. Just superb. Find myself reading so many times its ridiculous. So easy to read and always fun.

Kingslayer books by Rothfuss (bastard, fucking bastard if his latest interview has any merit). But the books are so beautifully written that you can almost forgive him.

The lies of Locke lamore. Just so much fun.

Wheel of time series. A longer undertaking, but every three years or so I reread them as just love the world it's set in.

Comment

Guilty pleasures:

Empire trilogy by Fiest/watts. Just superb. Find myself reading so many times its ridiculous. So easy to read and always fun.

Kingslayer books by Rothfuss (bastard, fucking bastard if his latest interview has any merit). But the books are so beautifully written that you can almost forgive him.

The lies of Locke lamore. Just so much fun.

Wheel of time series. A longer undertaking, but every three years or so I reread them as just love the world it's set in.
                            Empire trilogy, i'm guessing you mean Feist/Wurts? Definitely one of mine also! read it countless times, although not read it in a while. Important to read the magician trilogy first though for the background.

Comment

Empire trilogy, i'm guessing you mean Feist/Wurts? Definitely one of mine also! read it countless times, although not read it in a while. Important to read the magician trilogy first though for the background.
                              While magician is great for background, it does operate well as a standalone without having read it.

Having said that, do enjoy reading magician as its the first fanasty book I've read. Picked it up before lord of the rings. Lord of the rings is still a favorite but the movies kinda dampened my interest in it.

Comment

Forgot another trilogy that is a fun read and one of my favorite, defiantly in my top three and something I enjoy rereading. Not sure if it has been mentioned here. Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.

Comment

I loved the Feist stuff when I read it. The Rothfuss books are very good as well. Have only read each once actually - have been meaning to give them another spin. I loved the first Locke Lamora book - really loved it - but couldn't get into the second one and didn't end up finishing it.

It's probably an unpopular opinion but after a decent first few books the Wheel of Time descends into complete garbage and is about as big a waste of time as you can get while still reading books!

I have read Ender's Game and the first two Hyperion books - loved all of them. Never read anymore of the OSC books and never read the Endymion part of the Hyperion series either. All three books I could easily justify a re-read and probably carrying on further with them as well.

@Shrap - any of the follow ups to Dune worthwhile or best to leave well alone?

Comment

I loved the Feist stuff when I read it. The Rothfuss books are very good as well. Have only read each once actually - have been meaning to give them another spin. I loved the first Locke Lamora book - really loved it - but couldn't get into the second one and didn't end up finishing it.

It's probably an unpopular opinion but after a decent first few books the Wheel of Time descends into complete garbage and is about as big a waste of time as you can get while still reading books!

I have read Ender's Game and the first two Hyperion books - loved all of them. Never read anymore of the OSC books and never read the Endymion part of the Hyperion series either. All three books I could easily justify a re-read and probably carrying on further with them as well.

@Shrap - any of the follow ups to Dune worthwhile or best to leave well alone?
                                    lol, pretty much agree with all of that, read and reread Feist as a youngster, but you realise that after the riftwar saga, the only good stuff is actually the empire trilogy. Love Rothfuss and still waiting for the third. Enjoyed Locke Lamora but no more than that, and just don't like the wheel of time (Jordan, Sanderson, Donaldson, are some authors i struggle to find appeal with and am always shocked to see that so many people actually enjoy them).

I've read Dune so many times as well, and read the 2nd one, but just didn't enjoy it as much and never carried on. Plenty of people say they're great though.

Comment

Is the Empire trilogy the part with Eric as the main character and his friend who becomes super rich? There's a coffee house in the city that he weasels into and starts loads of business ventures iirc. Actually that might be the Serpent War.

There's another one where two princes who are twins go on a diplomatic mission to Kesh and one of them gets lost - maybe that's it? I remember loving the ones with Eric and that one with the princes as well

Comment

Is the Empire trilogy the part with Eric as the main character and his friend who becomes super rich? There's a coffee house in the city that he weasels into and starts loads of business ventures iirc. Actually that might be the Serpent War.

There's another one where two princes who are twins go on a diplomatic mission to Kesh and one of them gets lost - maybe that's it? I remember loving the ones with Eric and that one with the princes as well
                                        No, it's completely separate and completely different it's on the other side of the rift. In kelewan . A young girl ends up head of a clan and its her rise in the kelewan hierarchy. Great read.

Comment

Jaysus get reading the 2 Endymion books, they are joyously good. Denis Wheatley books are my guilty pleasure, racist in a HR Haggard type way but similarly rich characters and adventures.
                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Eric character is in Serpent War Trilogy.

The twin princes were in a standalone (pre-serpent war) book called princes of the blood.

Comment

Serpent War doesn't stand up so well to a reread? It has popped into my head a few times over the years so would be tempted to revisit it but I do remember being a small bit disappointed a few years ago when I went back to the Magician series having adored them as a youngster.

Comment

Serpent War doesn't stand up so well to a reread? It has popped into my head a few times over the years so would be tempted to revisit it but I do remember being a small bit disappointed a few years ago when I went back to the Magician series having adored them as a youngster.
                                                Probably would. I did enjoy the serpent war as liked the Eric character and think it was the last good trilogy by him. Its kinda went downhill after that although I did like the tal hawkins character also.

He started a new trilogy this month, which has a different setting.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                  Denis Wheatley books are my guilty pleasure, racist in a HR Haggard type way but similarly rich characters and adventures.
                                                  I read one of his when I was about 13 and it scared the crap out of me.

Don't really like anything with even a hint of supernatural about it but The Loney by Andrew Hurley was great
                                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 11-04-18, 15:53.
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I see the movie version of that book 'Annihilation' I mentioned a while back came out a few weeks ago. Seems to have gotten decent reviews.

Comment

I see the movie version of that book 'Annihilation' I mentioned a while back came out a few weeks ago. Seems to have gotten decent reviews.
                                                      Haven't read the book, but watched the film. Not bad, but can't say it's good either. Not sure I'd want to read the book either based on the film

Comment

Haven't read the book, but watched the film. Not bad, but can't say it's good either. Not sure I'd want to read the book either based on the film
                                                        It was pretty good, pretty short. I think someone on boards said the subsequent books were really good.

Comment

'With the End In Mind' worth paying actual money for Denny?

Comment

Yep, I thought it was excellent.

Comment

Was quite good, major themes are self-destruction (annihilation of our past selves), depression and so on. I liked it anyway. Wrote more about it on boards.

I'm still in audiobook mode which is mostly books about politics and human history but must get back to my kindle to finish Hyperion and get back on the fantasy ride.

Would like to read the follow up to sampiens, homo deus, too.

Comment

Just finished "The Solar Bones," Mick McCormack, long listed for a Booker a year or so back. Sort of Modern Irish Gothic meets John McGahern. Would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                                                  Just finished "The Solar Bones," Mick McCormack, long listed for a Booker a year or so back. Sort of Modern Irish Gothic meets John McGahern. Would recommend.
                                                                  Sounds interesting!

Comment

I'm currently working my way through four books - which is a few more than I normally have on the go at once.

Almost finished the audiobook Out of Your Mind by Alan Watts

Now, with Out of Your Mind: Essential Listening from the Alan Watts Audio Archives, you are invited to immerse yourself in 12 of this legendary thinker's pinnacle teaching sessions about how to break through the limits of the rational mind, and begin expanding your awareness and appreciation for the Great Game unfolding all around us.
                                                                    It's another foray in Watts' lectures on Eastern philosophy. Not quite as mind-blowing as some of the other stuff I've gone through by him, but this is in large part down to having heard some of the lectures before. I must say I highly recommend dabbling with Watts' stuff, a fair bit is available as free podcasts. His voice alone is a treat, his explanations of very interesting topics are highly entertaining and intriguing.

Also getting into Factfulness by Hans Rosling on Emmet's recommendation in BBV. This is part of an ongoing effort to convince myself that capitalism is still improving the world, because the alternative is too bleak. I'm only ~10% in but so far there's nothing that you wouldn't have seen in Rosling's various videos online, but it's amazing how well his highly engaging voice translates to the page.

Also reading The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin. This is the second instalment of the Broken Earth series - another great Shrap recommendation as far as I remember. The first book was really good, and the second one feels like it might be even better 20% of the way in. Highly recommended for fantasy fans.

Lastly, still working my way through Sapiens at a glacial pace. This is no reflection on the book which is excellent - I've just been reading a couple of pages a day for months.

Comment

Excited at the prospect of moving onto the Endymion and Daughter of the Empire books after this.

Canvassing for non-fiction suggestions for when I finish up the Watts book and Sapiens. I have Fooled by Randomness on Audible which I'm pretty sure I started but didn't finish a few years ago. I presume Homo Deus is good also?

Comment

Excited at the prospect of moving onto the Endymion and Daughter of the Empire books after this.

Canvassing for non-fiction suggestions for when I finish up the Watts book and Sapiens. I have Fooled by Randomness on Audible which I'm pretty sure I started but didn't finish a few years ago. I presume Homo Deus is good also?
                                                                        Fooled by Randomness I think is his best but obviously famous for the Black Swan, I think he starts to go off the rails by Anti-Fragile but they're still good.

Bostrom's Superintelligence is what I'm reading now and it's very good.

If you're keeping with the Sapiens type thing, I think Guns Germs & Steel is a must if you haven't read that already.

Superforeceasting byTetlock

The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee

Genome by Matt Ridley

Originals Adam Grant

Any of them are good.

Comment

Also reading The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin. This is the second instalment of the Broken Earth series - another great Shrap recommendation as far as I remember. The first book was really good, and the second one feels like it might be even better 20% of the way in. Highly recommended for fantasy fans.
                                                                          Up till 2am last night finishing this. This is an excellent fantasy series for any fans of the genre. Despite being a fan myself I usually think the bulk of books in the genre are badly written and contemptibly edited, Jemisin is very good and has a bit of style too.

Finished the Alan Watts book last week and started Fooled by Randomness as it was easy to hand on Audible.

Also discovered I have Our Oriental Heritage (The Story of Civilization #1) on Audible which has great ratings but seems to be enormous - and only the first part of eleven! Anyone dabbled with these? Seems like a huge undertaking.

Comment

Oh yeah Will and Ariel Durant are amazing. It was their lifetime work (think they only got up to the French Revolution before they died). Maybe start off with the lessons of history first. I'd like to read their full series, maybe when I'm retired

Comment

I'm reading Doors of Perception by Huxley at the minute, it's as you'd expect, a bit off the wall but interesting none the less.
                                                                              Super-intelligence by Bostrom was excellent, I'd recommend that for sure.

I've bought loads as of late and they're continuing to pile up.

The Inevitable by Kevin Kelly is next. I bought a couple of Pinker's and Carlo Rovelli's which will probably come after. I'm not on target for 50 this year but hoping to increase the amount over the next while.

Comment

The quality of the audiobook for World War Z is amazing so far, big list of Hollywood actors doing the voices. Even Max Brooks, the author, who does the main interviewer is great.

Max Brooks as The Interviewer
                                                                                Steve Park as Kwang Jingshu
                                                                                Frank Kamai as Nury Televadi
                                                                                Nathan Fillion as Stanley MacDonald*
                                                                                Paul Sorvino as Fernando Oliveira*
                                                                                Ade M'Cormack as Jacob Nyathi*
                                                                                Carl Reiner as Jurgen Warmbrunn
                                                                                Waleed Zuaiter as Saladin Kader
                                                                                Jay O. Sanders as Bob Archer
                                                                                Dennis Boutsikaris as General Travis D'Ambrosia
                                                                                Martin Scorsese as Breckinridge “Breck” Scott*
                                                                                Simon Pegg as Grover Carlson*
                                                                                Denise Crosby as Mary Jo Miller*
                                                                                Bruce Boxleitner as Gavin Blaire*
                                                                                Ajay Naidu as Ajay Shah
                                                                                Nicki Clyne as Sharon*
                                                                                Jeri Ryan as Maria Zhuganova*
                                                                                Henry Rollins as T. Sean Collins
                                                                                Maz Jobrani as Ahmed Farahnakian
                                                                                Mark Hamill as Todd Wainio
                                                                                Eamonn Walker as Xolelwa Azania / Paul Redeker / David Allen Forbes
                                                                                Jürgen Prochnow as Philip Adler
                                                                                David Ogden Stiers as Bohdan Taras Kondratiuk*
                                                                                Michelle Kholos as Jesika Hendricks
                                                                                Kal Penn as Sardar Khan*
                                                                                Alan Alda as Arthur Sinclair Junior
                                                                                Rob Reiner as "The Whacko"
                                                                                Dean Edwards as Joe Muhammad
                                                                                Frank Darabont as Roy Elliot*
                                                                                Becky Ann Baker as Christina Eliopolis
                                                                                Parminder Nagra as Barati Palshigar*
                                                                                Brian Tee as Hyungchol Choi / Michael Choi*
                                                                                Masi Oka as Kondo Tatsumi*
                                                                                Frank Kamai as Tomonaga Ijiro
                                                                                John Turturro as Seryosha Garcia Alvarez
                                                                                Ric Young as Admiral Xu Zhicai*
                                                                                Alfred Molina as Terry Knox*
                                                                                John McElroy as Ernesto Olguin
                                                                                Common as Darnell Hackworth*
                                                                                F. Murray Abraham as Father Sergei Ryzhkov*
                                                                                René Auberjonois as Andre Renard*
                                                                                * The Complete Edition
                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 03-05-18, 10:14.

Comment

It's the GOAT. Even at that I didn't realise half of those were on it - Bruce Boxleitner of babylon 5 fame, heavens above

Comment

Finished the Fooled By Randomness audiobook. Thought it was OK. Certain sections more interesting than others, could have done with a bit more editing I think.

Started Endymion last week, about 20% through it. So far it's great, no idea why I had in my head that they were meant to be much worse than the first two.

Comment

I ordered 15-20 books from WorldofBooks. They're an Amazon store but free delivery to the UK so parcel motel was handy.

I haven't started any as of yet. I'm a bit here and there with a few books at the minute.

The Doors of Perception, Case against Sugar and The Inevitable(right up Hitch & Dennys street) currently.

The ones I bought are all Dan Dennetts, couple of Sam Harris and the rest being those of Hitchens that I don't own.

Comment

Started Endymion last week, about 20% through it. So far it's great, no idea why I had in my head that they were meant to be much worse than the first two.
                                                                                        Moving house has slowed my progress a bit but about 70% of the way through this - still very enjoyable.

Realising I had forgotten a lot of the details of the first two books when I started Endymion, I decided to download the audiobook of the original Hyperion and go through it. I had forgotten just how good it is, it's ridiculous.

SPOILER
                                                                                        The first story in it - Paul Duré travelling to Hyperion, meeting the Bikura and learning about the cruciforms is so chilling and powerful.

Comment

Moving house has slowed my progress a bit but about 70% of the way through this - still very enjoyable.

Realising I had forgotten a lot of the details of the first two books when I started Endymion, I decided to download the audiobook of the original Hyperion and go through it. I had forgotten just how good it is, it's ridiculous.

SPOILER
                                                                                          The first story in it - Paul Duré travelling to Hyperion, meeting the Bikura and learning about the cruciforms is so chilling and powerful.
                                                                                          Every single one of their stories is brilliant imo, but that one is just unreal!!

Comment

Might be the very best sci-fi novel ever. Right up there anyhow.

Comment

Every single one of their stories is brilliant imo, but that one is just unreal!!
                                                                                              Yeah they are all very good. Without having reread the second one to refresh how they are resolved I think that
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              Kassad's
                                                                                              might be the weakest, with
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              Lamia's
                                                                                              being the second best.

Just getting to the
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              Consul's
                                                                                              one now.

Comment

Listening to Ready Player One read by Wil Wheaton, it and him reading it are both awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                  Listening to Ready Player One read by Wil Wheaton, it and him reading it are both awesome.
                                                                                                  This is the only way I have consumed Ready Player One, I presume it's at least partly why none of the complaints about the book ever resonated with me - it's well suited to the medium and Wheaton does a great job.

Comment

You can tell he loves it, and really would get all the references he is talking about which adds to it.
                                                                                                    The film sure did take some liberties is what I am finding out!

Must find something similar to it after as I really look forward to listening to it more than other audio books I've tried.

Comment

Ok nearly finished Ready Player One after 100-200k steps.
                                                                                                      I've got the top 100 scifi books ready to go, sam harris and some other stuff.

What are you guys favourite audio books?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        Ok nearly finished Ready Player One after 100-200k steps.
                                                                                                        I've got the top 100 scifi books ready to go, sam harris and some other stuff.

What are you guys favourite audio books?
                                                                                                        Nine Princes In Amber read by Roger Zelazny

Comment

Picked it up thanks, never heard of it but sounds good.

Comment

Make sure it's the version with Zelazny reading!

Comment

...

Comment

Linky no worky hitch!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                    Hmm: that's the 'share' link on Goodreads. Does this work?: Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...erintelligence
                                                                                                                    It's an excellent read. It's extremely in-depth and I found myself having to re-read a number of sections. The notes are extensive too.
                                                                                                                    I'm reading Master Algorithm atm and it would have probably been better to read the other way around.
                                                                                                                    That said it's best book I've read this year.

Comment

Read Shoe Dog on hols. Story of nike CEO Phil knight. V good read. Interesting man.

Comment

Yeah read that recently. Think a lot of wannabee entrepreneurs read that for inspiration, but so much good luck (and sacrifice) involved in that story (his coach happened to be a genius, he got lucky with finance, endorsements, etc), company could so easily have folded with tighter credit.

Comment

Did Outliers by Gladwell and now doing Tipping Point by him, enjoyable pop science with correlation = causation for him. Also did some famous persuasion influence book that was full of things I already do . Have gotten an audio book on scrum as we've started that in work.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-06-18, 11:15.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X