Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm planning on doing one really good restaurant a month for the next few months (except December - too much Christmas crap)

For Sept I have Greenhouse booked, Oct I have Pickle booked and am waiting for Herron & Grey bookings to open for January.

Suggestions for November?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
      I'm planning on doing one really good restaurant a month for the next few months (except December - too much Christmas crap)

For Sept I have Greenhouse booked, Oct I have Pickle booked and am waiting for Herron & Grey bookings to open for January.

Suggestions for November?
      Is pickle the Indian on Camden street? Possibly not but it's the only one that popped up when I Googled it and would avoid at all costs if it is. I deliver there and the state of the kitchen and area around it would make you sick

Comment

this is fabulous , highly recommend

very small but just lovely

Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Woops posted this in BBV

Peploes has just been refurbished so maybe there? I'm going because they have a nice veggie menu now but I'm sure they may cater for you too

Pickle is supposed to be great, yep it's that Indian. Surprised it's filthy!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            Woops posted this in BBV

Peploes has just been refurbished so maybe there? I'm going because they have a nice veggie menu now but I'm sure they may cater for you too

Pickle is supposed to be great, yep it's that Indian. Surprised it's filthy!
            Looks great inside in fairness and you can see into the kitchen from the back area of the restaurant but we always deliver straight out the back and it's bad. Bags of dirty stuff left next to food and all, open food trays just left in a shed uncovered, presume they should be either in a fridge or covered. One good thing about this job is it gives me an idea of where is clean or not. Don't get me started on the b&bs we deliver to

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
              Looks great inside in fairness and you can see into the kitchen from the back area of the restaurant but we always deliver straight out the back and it's bad. Bags of dirty stuff left next to food and all, open food trays just left in a shed uncovered, presume they should be either in a fridge or covered. One good thing about this job is it gives me an idea of where is clean or not. Don't get me started on the b&bs we deliver to
              You're a liability m8.

Comment

Might not be the most stylish or in vogue of Dublin's ethnic restaurants but Kites in Ballsbridge is the best Chiense in the city for me.
                The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                  Might not be the most stylish or in vogue of Dublin's ethnic restaurants but Kites in Ballsbridge is the best Chiense in the city for me.
                  China Sichuan for me but Kites certainly rates an honourable mention.

tbh for Chinese food, you're better off wandering into one of the Capel St joints and doing the gweilo (foreign barbarian) thing of randomly pointing at menu items.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I have a fear that Hang Dai may be too hipster for the Duke. Food is great but I'm not sure about the set up for him.
                    Yeah, that could really have put me on tilt for a week.

Comment

Looking to get into Chapter One on a Fri/Sat in November. Is it tricky and when are they likely to open online reservations?

Comment

Charlie's Three for me, but I can see why someone might choose Five
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I was in Charlie's Three sober once and never went back again. Place looks very different in the light of day!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                            there is (was?) a Dim Sum place over the 9th lock which was frankly ridiculously better than it's location suggested
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                              Looking to get into Chapter One on a Fri/Sat in November. Is it tricky and when are they likely to open online reservations?
                              Sep 1st for Nov/Dec. Best to ring that morning.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                Sep 1st for Nov/Dec. Best to ring that morning.
                                Thats what i thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

call them.
                                  Next step obv but was assuming they'll say what Zuutroy did and was wondering what the scrum is like.

Comment

I was in La Bodega Tapas Bar in Ranelagh last night. Third time in three years. First time, food was excellent, really fresh tapas. 2nd time, it was a bit meh but thought it might just be an off night.

Hadn't planned to go our for dinner last night, it was a bit impromptu so had nothing booked. Our choice of the Night Market (new Thai place) was knocked on the head as they were fully booked so we opted for La Bodega.

Every single dish was as bland as can be. We had a chorizo dish that was duller than dish water, no idea how you can turn chorizo so tasteless.

The bizarre part is that the place was packed (we got the last table) and it seems to be like that all the time, really don't get it it to be honest but definitely avoid for the future.
                                    Last edited by Lao Lao; 27-08-17, 14:56.

Comment

Got a call from one of my brothers in the late afternoon yesterday with a lovely surprise of an invite: another couple who are good friends of my bro and his wife had a table for six booked last night in Heron & Grey, the third couple dropped out and we were thought of as last-minute foodie substitutes An easy invite to accept, knowing how difficult it is to get in there.

What a great experience, very like the chef's table in Chapter One, lots and lots of interaction with the staff, all of whom were very personable. Cracking menu too:

Obviously a list of ingredients doesn't portray a real picture of what we were served but in general all courses were inventive, very attractively presented and most importantly extremely tasty

I drove last night so only had a single glass of wine, but the others who were drinking were full of praise for that side of things too.

Couldn't get over the value, I think average spend per person was about €90, which was amazing considering the amount and quality of food, the level of service and I imagine the quality of the wine. Highly, highly recommend.

That's three new Michelin-starred places in the last 30 days or so:

Kiin Kiin - Copenhagen
                                      Loam - Galway
                                      Heron & Grey - Dublin

All were enjoyable but if I was asked to rank them, all things considered, I'd have a very clear 1st, 2nd and 3rd; Heron & Grey, Kiin Kiin and Loam in that order. Last night's meal is up there with the very best I've ever had.

Comment

It's been a while since there was a post in here so I thought I'd throw this one up.

Last Wednesday, I hit the big 4-0 and as is tradition with myself and Mrs Lao Lao, we take the other one out on their birthday for dinner but the location is always kept under wraps. Friday night, we left the house and jumped into a taxi and I was given a blindfold to put on The fact we were in a taxi lead me to believe we weren't city center bound but I wouldn't have put it past Mrs Lao Lao to get the taxi driver to drive around for 20 minutes to try throw me off the scent - She had booked the taxi and jumped it to give directions as I was locking the door so anything was possible.

My sense of direction isn't always the best but I was really trying to focus on what turns were being taken and when. That combined with a likely list of restaurants in my head of where we may be going made me believe that we were heading to Blackrock and Heron & Grey - My powers of deduction were spot on and we rocked into Heron & Grey for an 8:30 sitting

We were a little early so we started off with a glass of fizz each before getting into the food which we had wine pairings with. The menu was 12 courses in total

Burnt Leek - Rye

Sprouting Broccoli - Trout Roe

Shrimp - Kohlrabi - Turnip

Unwaxed Lemon

Oyster - Kelp - Kale

Chicken Broth - Cabbage - Sprouts

Wild Bass - Golden Chanterelle - Young Garlic

Venison - Roscoff Onion - Wild Herbs

Comte - Artichoke - Cured Egg

Brandy Snap - Sweet Kefir

Passion Fruit - Blood Orange - Rhubard

Raspberry - Chocolate

There is too many courses to go through them individually and the name doesn't give you the full details of each course so you'll have to trust me when I say that each was immaculately presented and each one was delicious - If I had to pick a top three of courses, it would be the venison, wild bass and chicken broth in that order.

The restaurant can only hold 24 people so it's a nice cosy spot but you also feel that you have enough space, you're not crowded at all. It is also probably the most relaxed, laid back Michelin star restaurant that I have eaten in, not in regards the standard of the food or the tardiness of the service. The head chef was very clearly in control and you heard quite a few 'Qui Chef' responses from his two subordinates anytime he issued an instruction. The front of house was on top of everything also, wine, food, water, etc, all on top it - it was just not as formal a setting as other Michelin star places I've eaten in and that was a good thing. Both Heron (front of house) & Grey (head chef) clearly love what they do, there was smiles all round, there was a great chemistry between them and there was just the right amount of interaction, chat and banter without feeling like they were intruding.

The only one small downside was when we didn't appear to get a wine with one course, it came just as we finished the dish. When we questioned this, we were told that the pairings is 9 wines with 12 courses so there was two wines that doubled up over two courses. This may have been said to us at the start but neither of us remembered it and the explanation seemed a bit odd. That said, 9 glasses of wine (even tasting sizes) is more than enough for a meal so it wasn't a big thing.

After the meal, we were pretty much the last to leave so we were chatting to the two lads for a bit and they seem like really genuine guys. They told how they need to take two seats out as with the current set up, they have to reach over at least one person to serve somebody as one table is against the wall and they have no chance of a 2nd star with the seating arrangement as it is. They also gave us another glass of vino as they were having one themselves.

Slight dilemma now as I am on the waiting list for 27th Jan for our anniversary which I mentioned to them while Mrs Lao Lao was in the toilet. They reckoned they could squeeze me in if I wanted it and while it was amazing, I'm not sure if twice in two weeks would be overkill? On the other hand, I can't see getting somewhere else as good, it really was excellent.

Decisions, decisions…Either way, I will most definitely be back at some point this year

Comment

Oh man I'd go back there within two weeks in a heartbeat - defo do it if you get the chance!

Comment

Lao Lao review >>> ionapaul review.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              Lao Lao review >>> ionapaul review.
                                              Ha, my picture maybe not worth 1,000 words alright

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Anyone have any opinions on a choice between Dillingers and The Butchers Grill in Ranelagh or any other hidden gems in that area?

Edit - a quick search of Ranelagh in the thread throws up Rio & Brioche which seem to be busto...
                                                  Last edited by Dice75; 10-02-18, 15:27.

Comment

Anyone have any opinions on a choice between Dillingers and The Butchers Grill in Ranelagh or any other hidden gems in that area?

Edit - a quick search of Ranelagh in the thread throws up Rio & Brioche which seem to be busto...
                                                    Never visited but Wild Goose is supposed to be legit.

Comment

Rio & Brioche are defo both busto. While they do dinner, Dillingers is more a brunch place for me.

Butchers Grill or Wild Goose would be my pick in Ranelagh.

Two alternatives that I haven't tried yet would be Host - small plates, like a tapas place only not Spanish and The Night Market (Thai place that has been getting good reviews)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Don't get that adding 12.5% discretionary charge to bills (Heron&Grey). Their guests surely aren't price sensitive, so just build it into the price and stop that nonsense.

Also are they not a bit hampered with getting a second Michelin Star given no Michelin inspectors can get seats there to taste the food?
                                                        Then everybody will give a tip on top of that too so it doesn't work. So you're asking (a month ago) why a 3 seater restaurant aren't changing the social tipping culture of a country? :P
                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 10-02-18, 17:14.

Comment

Mate of mine is back from travelling for a few months and is an experienced chef. He's hosting nights in my place, couple of spots left if anyone is interested (send a pm). He's hosted them before in London. Should be a larf.

This will be the first of a series of private dinners held over the summer in Dublin. The food will be cooked by James Forde who has many years of experience working in high end Michelin star kitchens between Dublin, London and New York. The aim of these dinners is to bring people together in a communal aspect to enjoy locally sourced cuisine treated with the highest respect and presented in a relaxed fine dining setting. The menu will change each month and will consist of 5 courses and one cocktail for 70 EURO.

A perfect evening for couples or friends who are looking for something a little different before going out on the town.
                                                          Friday next week (25th) at 7
                                                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 16-05-18, 09:48.

Comment

Hey Folks,

As posted in BBV my dad had a quite serious accident a few months back and is still in hospital. However, he has moved to clontarf hospital to finish off rehab and physio and has been given a few hours Sunday to leave the grounds. I was planning on bringing him and the family out for a meal.
                                                            Any suggestions for the immediate environs as can't be going too far.
                                                            Family friendly and wheelchair accessible a must.
                                                            Was thinking the Yacht or the Baths purely on anecdotal evidence to open to suggestions.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

If you think the family would be OK with Asian food I'd recommend http://www.kinara.ie/ - upscale Pakistani place, very family friendly in my experience. You'd have to make sure they are wheelchair friendly though, I'm sure they are but the tables were pretty close together the last time I was there!

Comment

Moloughney's is probably the best bet in the area given criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                  Hey Folks,

As posted in BBV my dad had a quite serious accident a few months back and is still in hospital. However, he has moved to clontarf hospital to finish off rehab and physio and has been given a few hours Sunday to leave the grounds. I was planning on bringing him and the family out for a meal.
                                                                  Any suggestions for the immediate environs as can't be going too far.
                                                                  Family friendly and wheelchair accessible a must.
                                                                  Was thinking the Yacht or the Baths purely on anecdotal evidence to open to suggestions.
                                                                  I haven't eaten in the baths, but its a fantastic location. Have drank there a few times, its gorgeous.

Comment

If you're ever in the west Sligo region (the little village of Easky specifically) i'd highly recommend Pudding Row for breakfast/brunch/lunch.

The wife's homemade beans on toast with egg, chorizo and avocado (i know!) was fantastic and my pulled pork on focaccia was also great.

Beautiful homemade cakes and bakes as well an an unexpected low-key post-punk/indie soundtrack of Television, Joy Division, Blondie, Smiths etc.. only added to the charm!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                      If you think the family would be OK with Asian food I'd recommend http://www.kinara.ie/ - upscale Pakistani place, very family friendly in my experience. You'd have to make sure they are wheelchair friendly though, I'm sure they are but the tables were pretty close together the last time I was there!
                                                                      Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                      Moloughney's is probably the best bet in the area given criteria.
                                                                      It's a party of 10 so need to have a broad spectrum appeal.
                                                                      Moloughney's booked with zero hassles after getting the run around from yacht and baths
                                                                      Cheers folks

Comment

It's a party of 10 so need to have a broad spectrum appeal.
                                                                        Moloughney's booked with zero hassles after getting the run around from yacht and baths
                                                                        Cheers folks
                                                                        Id advise go straight to mains as otherwise it will drag on too long and he will be bloated and tired. Id imagine it would be quite hard on him sitting up in a restaurant for a couple hours or more after so long in hospital convalescing. Anyway you know best and hope its a great afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                          Id advise go straight to mains as otherwise it will drag on too long and he will be bloated and tired. Id imagine it would be quite hard on him sitting up in a restaurant for a couple hours or more after so long in hospital convalescing. Anyway you know best and hope its a great afternoon.
                                                                          100% good advice.
                                                                          It's a party of 10 as well so minimum time fluting around is for the best
                                                                          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                            If you're ever in the west Sligo region (the little village of Easky specifically) i'd highly recommend Pudding Row for breakfast/brunch/lunch.

The wife's homemade beans on toast with egg, chorizo and avocado (i know!) was fantastic and my pulled pork on focaccia was also great.

Beautiful homemade cakes and bakes as well an an unexpected low-key post-punk/indie soundtrack of Television, Joy Division, Blondie, Smiths etc.. only added to the charm!
                                                                            Went there last year. Maybe it was you that recommended it to me also. It was indeed fantastic.

Comment

Went to Asador one Saturday evening while visiting the family in Dublin.
                                                                              Really enjoyed it. Both of us had the tomato and pesto soup to start and then had the Supreme of Chicken on a bed of risotto. It was gorgeous.

I opted for a cheese board instead of a dessert, but the crackers were awful and the cheese not so good. Tony had a cheesecake if I remember right.

Had a lovely gin cocktail there as well.

The night would have been great if it wasn't for a group of about 7/8 woman who may have been on a hen, having two in the group almost scream instead of talk. I left with a headache. It got to the stage that I winced in pain when one woman in particular spoke.

Oh and the woman at the next table accidentally spat a mouthful of red wine all over me! had to go to the bathroom and wash up. Thankfully, I had the napkin over my dress and it appeared to be fine, but my arms and legs were covered.

Would still go back!

Comment

Cheese board "instead" of dessert??? Cheese board is the mother of all desserts!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  Cheese board "instead" of dessert??? Cheese board is the mother of all desserts!
                                                                                  Nah, I appreciate a GOOD dessert. But I am very critical of them lol

Comment

I was in La Bodega Tapas Bar in Ranelagh last night. Third time in three years. First time, food was excellent, really fresh tapas. 2nd time, it was a bit meh but thought it might just be an off night.

Hadn't planned to go our for dinner last night, it was a bit impromptu so had nothing booked. Our choice of the Night Market (new Thai place) was knocked on the head as they were fully booked so we opted for La Bodega.

Every single dish was as bland as can be. We had a chorizo dish that was duller than dish water, no idea how you can turn chorizo so tasteless.

The bizarre part is that the place was packed (we got the last table) and it seems to be like that all the time, really don't get it it to be honest but definitely avoid for the future.
                                                                                    I've had literally the exact same experience, first time class, second time meh, third time confirmed it. Off my circuit now... Tried Nightmarket a few weeks ago, it was pretty nice Thai fare, but not "blow your mind I must go back" or anything.

any talk of a rehash of a community dinner would be welcome if Gimme/RCIII were to revisit the idea?

Comment

Popped in here for Sunday lunch , have to say was absolutely beautiful. In the middle of nowhere kinda. But relaxed atmosphere. Not expensive.
                                                                                      Think they won a Michelin award or something too

Had a lovely starter. Croquettes with chorizo and cheesy kinda thing and a Devine crispy pork belly type thing.

Anyway worst review ever but if ever down that way we'll worth the visit. Staff fantastic too
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

If there is interest, I'm happy to organise a night in either Vintage Kitchen, Chef's table at Chapter One or something totally different?

Seems as the Duke has abandoned his primary responsibility on IPB
                                                                                        Last edited by Lao Lao; 07-08-18, 14:19.

Comment

Interested in all options

Comment

Thread needs more posting. I'll be going to some of these events over the coming weeksn and months, can't wait: https://veganinireland.com/irelands-...y-event-series
                                                                                            Especially the chef talk / demonstration / tasting menu at Ananda and afternoon tea @ The Shelboune.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                            Ended up here the other night, tried 101 but it was closed. It was awful, literally every course, even the drinks afterwards were awful. And I used to have it in the "not great but decent value" range.
                                                                                            Six of us ended up here [le bon crubeen] recently and was quite dubious as they have no vegan menu normally and haven't heard good things in general. They banged out 3 options for each course and the ones we had were surprisingly good and it was only €25 for a 8/9PM sitting. Had no idea how much we would be charged before paying.

At the time I was there I spotted two people I know on a secret first date so also got a scandalous scoop, thank you Le Bon Crubeen.
                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-08-18, 13:56.

Comment

100% good advice.
                                                                                              It's a party of 10 as well so minimum time fluting around is for the best
                                                                                              Cheers
                                                                                              Ended up in the Knights bar in Clontarf castle.
                                                                                              It was intensely disappointing.

The chowder was this thick pea green thing with bits of fried smoked fish sprinkled on top. described thusly;
                                                                                              leek and potato voluté, wild mussels, fresh Irish salmon and
                                                                                              smoked haddock, bacon and brioche crumb
                                                                                              it was just a real let down of a dish, me dad was dying for something hearty and loves a good chowder. This was shite.

The wings did the cardinal sin of serving the full wing instead of breaking it down. It was wet, kinda like boiled chicken then basted in a sauce. Just awful stuff.
                                                                                              The flat breads were something you would serve a table, just oceans of pita and dips. I've no idea how it would be meant for one person
                                                                                              Pork belly were just a fatty mess. I think I've lost memory of the last time I've eaten pork belly that was good. It just appears that most kitchens do not know how to render fat correctly and I'm usually served a bit of thin crisp skin, a layer of white globulous fat and rubbery pork.
                                                                                              Dessert for me was date and walnutcake with caramel ice cream which was lovely I guess.
                                                                                              The date element just seemed to be a chopped date on the side of the sponge.
                                                                                              Others had apple tart (served cold) with a choice of cream or ice cream
                                                                                              when one noted they got cream instead of icecream it was whipped and pretty much swapped with someone elses given the speed.

All in all I wish we had of went elsewhere.

Comment

Went to this place after the Lighthouse on Saturday

https://www.facebook.com/ThunderCutAlleyD7

Food was really well done, Never felt driven to comment on Nachos before, but everything about these was glorious, Creamy Lime-y Guac, Fruity Chilis, Cheese nicely stringy and Tangy, great texture on the Nachos, sour cream just balancing it all out.

Had a meal deal for €50, 2 good Margaritas, 2 Tacos, 2 Flatbreads and Nachos. The Lamb taco was delish, v earthy meat with tzatziki to lighten and chimichurri to liven it up. Everything was really nicely presented, plenty of colour on the plates.

Asked for an Old-Fashioned for after and it was an awful bastard creation. cold coffee in for it for some god unknown reason. 10 seconds on a smartphone would have shown em how to make one FFS. The Camp Fella hosting seen the face I was pulling and took it off bill so no harm done really just an silly waste of time for all involved.

Décor and music was 80s/90s themed, which I loved. Very Garish with lots of black and neon, subversive soft porn style art everywhere, so maybe not a place for a communion meal or to take the conservative In-Laws.

Cant wait to have a reason to go back with a Gang for a sesh.
                                                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

The next Thursday or Friday available in Vintage Kitchen for a larger group is Jan 10th 2019, which just happens to be my birthday!

I've booked it for 8 people at 8:30PM and will get confirmation of numbers on here in Dec, too early to do it now.

Comment

Surprised that thundercut alley is good for food with it's dingy pub atmosphere.

Used this site this evening which was pretty cool if you want an early dinner. https://www.firsttable.ie/
                                                                                                    You pay €6 for a booking up to 4 people at an early time, and get all your food half price. Had a 3 course meal at Sova for €12 after work. Of course you do feel obliged to have a few drinks which is not so much of a problem
                                                                                                    They've just started up so I'm sure their restaurant list will expand.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-08-18, 19:31.

Comment

Sounds like a good deal, presume it is only new as there doesn't seem to be too many places on it?

I wonder how strict the restaurants are on this? Could be a very easy get out clause

What happens if I’m late for my reservation?

The 50% off meals deal is only available for the date and time you have booked. If you are more than 15 minutes late the deal is off.

Comment

Yeah it's only here for like a week so far, it's established in other countries AFAIK.
                                                                                                        That probably depends on the restaurant, we were half an hour late today and nobody said anything, we did still need to have the table back at the same time for the next booking.
                                                                                                        You are supposed to show the deal on your phone at the start so at that time they would have to say or they can GTFO. I didn't actually have to show mine as the waitress already knew but I tried anyhow.

Comment

Surprised that thundercut alley is good for food with it's dingy pub atmosphere.

Used this site this evening which was pretty cool if you want an early dinner. https://www.firsttable.ie/
                                                                                                          You pay €6 for a booking up to 4 people at an early time, and get all your food half price. Had a 3 course meal at Sova for €12 after work. Of course you do feel obliged to have a few drinks which is not so much of a problem
                                                                                                          They've just started up so I'm sure their restaurant list will expand.

Not bad for less than €15! We booked in again.

Comment

Not bad for less than €15! We booked in again.

Is that scallops in the starter, do they count as vegetables?

Comment

King Oyster mushroom likeness. Some people do eat certain bivalves though.

Comment

Has anybody been to Glovers Alley yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                  yes. you'll find several posts about it in the BBV from a few ppl.
                                                                                                                  Tried searching there too but could only find a one liner from you saying it was good and one from zuutroy saying lunch wasn't great. Will have another look.

Comment

Tried searching there too but could only find a one liner from you saying it was good and one from zuutroy saying lunch wasn't great. Will have another look.
                                                                                                                    Went for dinner there subsequently and it was really good so would disregard the lunch comment as it was only a week or two after they opened.

Comment

Went to the Vegan In Ireland first culinary event at Ananda with a friend last night. I was wondering how popular that would be and was pleasantly surprised to see a sign saying the restaurant was closed for a vegan tasting event as I approached.

There was about 40-50 people there, only 10 of which were vegan I was told upon entering, so it would be interesting to see what everybody else thought. Definitely a more eh, affluent crowd. we were seated with four other people that I didn't know but were lovely. They were really into food, cooking and Ananda in general, they were there to see could the food be good, what would it even be like and so on. Frankly I was wondering how good it could be either and would it be worth the price tag there.

I had missed the first half of the event which was a cooking class with the head chef there, showing people a few of the pieces from the menu for the night but I got the recipes to try out. I was deligted to hear of somebody using kala namak (black salt), one of my favourite ingredients when cooking.

I bypassed wine for now and got an elderflower daiquiri to start and waited for the Amuse Bouche. The Head Chef came out and gave a talk about the night, vegnaism, the food and what went into it, the origins in India and so forth, a really endearing young man. The food arrived and it was "Old Delhi Chaat", the host explained what it was and how to eat it properly. I plucked it up with one hand and ate it in a single bite as advised. There was so much going on that I can not tell you what exactly was in it but honestly the flavours were still changing in my mouth after ten seconds and it was heaven. Murmurs of assent from the crowd, a really nice atmosphere. I knew I was in for a good time.

Following on from that there was the Assiette which consisted of a potato and pea galette, a fermented rice cake, pickled tea leaves with spiced chickpeas, a corn and watercress seekh kebab and a plum citrus salad. Star of the show here was the fermented rice cake if I had to choose, the chef said after that it would be the first thing from menu onto their main menu due to the feedback for it, I'm not sure what witchcraft made it fluffy, it was an lighter fermented savoury victorian sponge cake taht was left soaking flavours overnight. At this stage one of the women piped up that this was as good as if not better than the normal tasting menu and another joined in with the fact that she really wanted to find any fault with the vegan food but everything was amazing.

The fermentation was not over as it must be in vogue, before the next course came out they brought out the most interesting component in some jars for each table to smell, and if very adventurous, taste. It was aged black limes fermented. The jars were opened as the chef explained to the room that the black limes were dried for two months before being fermented for a year, it was pungent! My nose did not know wtf it was witnessing when I brought the jar close, it was electric. I dipped a knife in and it was some form of new taste I had never had anything like. The course involving it arrived, a Himalayan sea salt with toasted cumin seed sorbet, aged black lime on top. So strange to have cumin seeds in a sorbet, really delicious.

Next up was apricot and butternut squash koftas with textures of spinach, fresh tumeric, quinoa and wild morel pulao. With that came tandoori bread with a vessel of yellow split pea daal. Fantastic.

Final course was coconut kheer, with seasonal macerated and fresh berries, lemon verbena, crisp kataifi, raspberry sorbet and 24 karat gold leaf.
                                                                                                                      Delicious, dessert, made with coconut milk instead of dairy and was a nice twist. As a woman said, in Ireland we have terrible memories of rice pudding but this changed all that.
                                                                                                                      I didn't see the point of 24ct gold leaf personally. The berries really reminded me of what a difference perfect fruit makes vs the standard affair and the nest of "kataifi" was wonderful.

Finished off with coffee (I shouldn't have had this was buzzing all night.) while there was a Q&A with the chef along with feedback and so forth (first comment from a woman telling him they were all in love with him now), a few rounds of applause and things like that. He hung around with all the staff to talk to us about the food, was a really great experience and have felt great since. It is always good to see some non-vegan people trying food like that and being wowed. Food was €70 with drinks on top, definitely worth it and I can't wait to go back, and to the next events in the series, especially the wine and cheese tasting with Hugo's sommelier and Afternoon Tea in The Shelbourne with the Executive Chef.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-08-18, 11:58.

Comment

gold leaf in food has never made sense to me
                                                                                                                        it's not absorbed by your body and is chemically inert.
                                                                                                                        There is literally no point to it apart from glitz
                                                                                                                        It has no taste, texture or calories.

Comment

For somebody that loves food it seems like a slap in the face in an otherwise well curated meal but I understand the kind of people that upper-end restaurants wish to attract would be greatly amorous of such nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X