X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurant Name: Patrick Guilbaud

Price Range: €€€€€

Review:

I remember when I was heading to London to Heston’s place last year thinking that the flights, hotel, and dinner were likely to come in at a cheaper clip than Guilbaud’s would, which makes it a hard place to justify visiting.
    We got there at 7:00, a little early for our 7:30 reservation with plans to have a drink before eating. Got a G&T and browsed the menu, but had already decided we’d be doing the tasting menu. Before I had even got a chance to take a sip of my drink they were ushering us to our table at about 7:10.
    Bread came out fairly sharpish which was lovely, along with those cheese-puff things you get sometimes which are pointless.
    First course was some kind of tortellini thing that was nice, with a random cup of pea soup on the side. Not sure what they were trying to do here.
    Before I had made it through half of the accompanying wine, the next glass arrived swiftly followed by the next course which was crab meat rolled in cucumber, kind of like a sushi thing. I don’t know…cold fish dishes to nothing for me. The best I’ll ever say is that it tasted fresh. Cold things by their nature don’t stimulate the taste buds as much, which is why macro-brewed beers are so geared to get you to drink it as cold as possible.
    Again found myself choking down the wine when the next glass arrived along with an onion tartlet topped with a crispy parmesan flake. This was lovely.
    At this point they brought out the port for what was a cheese board course and I had to tell them to slow down because I couldn’t drink any faster. My mrs. doesn’t love cheese so she asked for a substitution. A full 35 minutes later the cheese cart arrived which was very impressive and stinky. She got a fairly pathetic sorbet and I was disappointed they couldn’t come up with something a bit better, especially after 35 minutes.
    Main fish course was lobster in some sort of apple sauce and it was exceptional. Probably would force its way on to my list of top 10 dishes of all time.
    The pacing had improved by this stage, and the pigeon that came out next was really nice. A simple dish that let the quality of the produce speak for itself. The place was busy by this stage, and the service really looked chaotic, more so than I’ve seen in any top restaurant. The two desert courses aren’t really worth remarking on. They were very nice but nothing more.
    The bill came to €580 and that didn’t include service. For what we received it was absolutely exorbitant. The tasting menu is double the price of the chef’s table at Chapter One, and to be honest I’m not even sure that’s any better, never mind twice as good. The wine pairing was €120 which was hefty compared to €45 at Ch1, but I have to admit there was a really nice mix of wines but again I’m not sure if it was 2.5x as good.
    In the end I had to ask for the bill twice which was probably the 3rd-4th mistake of the night. I’m laid back enough but you really should expect completely flawless service for that money.
    I’ve visited 3 two-star restaurants now and Guilbaud’s doesn’t hold a candle to the other ones. I won’t be in a rush back.

TLDR: Go to Chapter One twice instead.

Comment

ate in some restaurants, some were pretty good, some just ok

price range: €€-€€€
      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
        ate in some restaurants, some were pretty good, some just ok

price range: €€-€€€
        Stop exaggerating with your €€€. We know you were never in a €€€ place knowingly.

Comment

eddie's charges more after midnight so it moves from €€ to €€€

Comment

I would have been really pissed off I was being made to feel rushed in your spot Zuutroy. I have blown the lid over this before when out for a 25euro early bird.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

TLDR: Go to Chapter One twice instead.
              Amen to that. Went to Guilbaud’s once and hated the whole experience. We had a voucher for €200 and they undercharged us €100 in error and the bill still came to almost €400. Anywhere else I would have pointed the error out but fuck that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Any recommendations for good/high end food in Dublin on a Sunday night?
                cross post from bbv

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  went last night again, 4 of us, exceptional steaks. The couple next to us sent their steaks back though. Got through another 3 bottles of Meerlust.
                  What's the issue, just not getting it cooked rare enough or whatever?

Comment

Heading to Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare during the week, any recommendations for places to eat in Kenmare/surrounding area? Will be eating in The Falls restaurant one of the nights so hope that'll be good

Comment

Restaurant Name: Pearl Brasserie

Price Range: €€€€

Review:

Mrs Lao Lao turned the ripe old age of...wait, I best not say...anyway, she isn't really into celebrating her birthday which I find bizarre as I always look to turn my birthday into a birthweek so it was to be just the two of us for dinner

I collected her from her place in Ranelagh and we strolled the 10 minute walk down to O'Briens on Sussex Terrace for a few pre dinner drinks. It was a lovely evening so after drinks, I decided to walk into town. This also allowed me to do what I love doing best. Whenever I book dinner for either her birthday or our anniversary, I refuse to tell her where we are going and proceed to pretend to walk into several other restaurants en route and this night was no exception as I stopped, held the door open for her in Residence, Bang and Etto only to walk away when she was half way in

We arrived on time at 9pm but were advised they were just getting our table ready so we took a seat at the bar and order a couple of glasses of Prosecco and had a look over the menu's. After about 5 minutes, she advised what she was having for starters and main course and I winced, we'd both opted for the exact same thing.

Being the gentleman that I am, I said I'd change my choices but she insisted that she change her starter and keep her main - Deal! We were then brought to our table which was in one of the alcoves (I had specially asked for it) The alcove may or may not be everyone's thing but we both really enjoyed it. It was nice that we had out own little place away from everyone else and it was very nicely decked out. There was loads of room for us, there would have been enough room for three people, four people would just about squeezed in but it might have been tight.

I ordered a bottle of the Pouilly Fume de Ladoucette which is the finest example of a sauvignon blanc that you will get. I challenge anybody to give me a better one. It was served at the perfect temperature

For food, I was swayed from my original choice of starter of Pan Fried Duck Foie Gras with Rhubarb & Strawberry Balsamic by the special offering of a warm lamb terrine which meant Mrs Lao got both her original choices of starter and main which meant we were both happy as the lamb terrine was for me, far superior than the Foie Gras, not that the Foie Gras was bad, it was just that the lamb was sublime.

For mains, I opted for the Iberico Pork, Jerusalem Artichoke, Figues, Flageolet, Manchego, Almond & BBQ Sauce while she had the Hake with Peas & Broad Beans, Mussel Veloute, Polenta & Pickled Enoki. You would be splitting hairs over these two. The pork was melt in your mouth stuff while the Hake was a chunky but elegantly cooked piece of fish. We shared a side of truffle mash that was wonderfully creamy and velvety and I was only short of licking the utensil clean

For desserts, I had the selection of ice cream (as I am still a big child and always will be) and she settled on the creme brulee and this is where the meal fell down slightly. The creme brulee, for me, wasn't anything special. I've made similar at home myself. The ice cream was too gimmicky. It was four different flavours in four different mini cones that was displayed in a weird pen holder type thing that just looked odd. Don't get me wrong, it was all eaten but the whole presentation / standard of the first two course was severely lacking

The service throughout was very good and the whole experience was very enjoyable. Two glasses of Prosecco, bottle of wine, two starters, mains and desserts came to €192.50 excluding tip

From there, we headed around the corner to Toners for a few drinks, maybe a few too many actually, as after about an hour, we had convinced ourselves we were 21 again and trotted across the lane way to Xico (the old Baggot Inn) In the Q, the bouncer dutifully checked the handbags of all the 20-something year olds and relieved them of a few naggins and seemed amused when I told him I had a load of cans hid in my trousers but I'd keep him one if he didn't take them off me. Inside, the place was heaving and our arrival increased the average age by about 8 years but it didn't stop us getting our groove on and dropping shapes of all sizes on our make shift dance floor. Quality is ageless really...

8/10
                      Last edited by Lao Lao; 21-09-15, 22:56.

Comment

Taking names for an interest list to hit the Vintage Kitchen some Friday night in January (yes, you need to book that far ahead). We had a good night here before and it's a good little spot.

Sign up here and once I get a nucleus of a gang, I'll book.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In provisionally, My own location depending.

Comment

In as well.

Comment

In.
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

In
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Is it still BYO Vinyl?

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                    Is it still BYO Vinyl?
                                    Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh
                                      Paging Benny Hi-Fi and HJ

Comment

Taking names for an interest list to hit the Vintage Kitchen some Friday night in January (yes, you need to book that far ahead). We had a good night here before and it's a good little spot.

Sign up here and once I get a nucleus of a gang, I'll book.
                                        In - Once it's not the 8th Jan as will be having dinner bought for me that night!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                          In - Once it's not the 8th Jan as will be having dinner bought for me that night!
                                          I'll aim for 15th or 22nd Jan. Should be the nut dates to avoid the remainder of humanity. Will confirm early next week.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                            Paging Benny Hi-Fi and HJ
                                            Would like to commit but with baby on his way it's not something i could be sure i'd make until an hour or two before.

Comment

Partners or no?

Comment

it would be a sin to share the wine we will be drinking that night with our partners.
                                                Just copped the byow policy. Can we set a par for the wine drinkers? Maybe everyone bring 2 bottleS at least?
                                                Last edited by iSnow; 26-09-15, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                  Would like to commit but with baby on his way it's not something i could be sure i'd make until an hour or two before.
                                                  I cannot plan anything more than a pizza at the moment
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

In for Vintage Kitchen

In Brioche in Ranelagh last night a member of my group asked how the Beef fillet is done, and was told that the chef will not cook it any more than medium rare pretty mixed overall, wouldn't be in a rush back

Comment

make it the 2nd January and I'll be back in Dublin en route home from Vegas
                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I'll aim for 15th or 22nd Jan. Should be the nut dates to avoid the remainder of humanity. Will confirm early next week.
                                                        Booked out on Fridays until March (well at a civilised time, don't think 5.30 is an option for most).

Will I try for a Thursday?

Comment

Booked out on Fridays until March (well at a civilised time, don't think 5.30 is an option for most).

Will I try for a Thursday?

I presume a Saturday is a non runner? Thursday is better than nothing.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                            I presume a Saturday is a non runner? Thursday is better than nothing.
                                                            People usually busier on Saturdays was my thinking plus they have more availability on Thurs.

Some success story for what is a pretty shit location tbf

Comment

In for Vintage Kitchen

Edit: could be tentative if it ends up being a Saturday.
                                                              Last edited by NewApproach; 30-09-15, 16:12.

Comment

People usually busier on Saturdays was my thinking plus they have more availability on Thurs.

Some success story for what is a pretty shit location tbf
                                                                You're probably right in general but the chances of me being able to go gamble afterwards go up on a Saturday.

Any night out is better than no night out in my book.

Comment

Ok, booked for 8 peeps on Thursday 21st Jan.

GAB
                                                                  V
                                                                  KP
                                                                  Ionapaul
                                                                  New Approach
                                                                  Strewel
                                                                  Denny
                                                                  iSnow
                                                                  Lao Lao
                                                                  Moi
                                                                  Hi Cloy

So far but sure a few will drop out.

We will talk again after Xmas. Put it in your filofax or rolodex.

Comment

In if theres space

Comment

Vinyl Amouse Bouche?

Comment

Also in but won't be dining m8s.

Comment

GAB
                                                                          V
                                                                          KP
                                                                          Ionapaul
                                                                          New Approach
                                                                          Strewel
                                                                          Denny
                                                                          iSnow
                                                                          Lao Lao
                                                                          Moi
                                                                          Hi Cloy
                                                                          Hectorjelly
                                                                          CHD

Comment

Doing some xmas season restaurant reservations. I've plumped for VDC in Naas and Thorntons thus far. Any suggestions out there?
                                                                            I've given up going to restaurants (well, expecting any decent standard of cooking and\or service) at Christmas.
                                                                            So many times going to places you know are good and being let down badly 'because it's Christmas'. Fuck that.

Comment

Quiet in here lately. I see Chapter One have put their prices up.

Dinner now €75 from €65
                                                                              Tasting now €95 from €85
                                                                              Chef's Table now €100 from €85 with wine pairing gone from €40 to €50.

Comment

Guy with English accent? Last time I was at the chef's table I inquired after him and got a strange response. My feeling was that his departure wasn't amicable.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                  Quiet in here lately. I see Chapter One have put their prices up.

Dinner now €75 from €65
                                                                                  Tasting now €95 from €85
                                                                                  Chef's Table now €100 from €85 with wine pairing gone from €40 to €50.
                                                                                  That must have only happened in the past few days? I was looking at it the other day and it still listed the old prices. It's still the best meal I've had in Dublin so will probably go ahead and book it for next year as planned despite the changes.

Comment

Ate in Chapter One on Wednesday night. Still great food. Probably my favorite Dublin restaurant. It did look like the price had gone up a bit. Me and the wife dropped €330. The guts on pre dinner cocktails and a couple of nice bottles of Gavi, I suspect.

Comment

Real Atalho: Lisbon

First review

Restaurant: Real Atalho
                                                                                      Location: Lisbon
                                                                                      Type: Steakhouse, Barbeque
                                                                                      Price: €€

Os melhores bifes de Lisboa If you are a meat maven like myself you will travel far and wide to find good cuts ...

Was in Lisbon last week and found this little gem. Was talking to the chef/ Owner who is also a butcher from sweden who started off barbequing from the back of his butcher shop and selling it on the square. He now has 4 restaurants in lisbon aswell as the butchers. He was also raving about how good his staff, interestingly he pays them swedish standard wages and conditions. price is a bargain for what you get.

Lisbon is very lively and great place for a lads weekend away. Had never really heard of it for its nightlife before.

The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
                                                                                      MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Reminder

Ok, booked for 8 peeps on Thursday 21st Jan.
                                                                                        Vintage Kitchen outing booked for the above and responses received in this order:
                                                                                        1. Me
                                                                                        2. GAB
                                                                                        3. iSnow
                                                                                        4. Denny
                                                                                        5. ionapaul
                                                                                        6. V
                                                                                        7. Strewel
                                                                                        8. KP
                                                                                        9. Lao Lao
                                                                                        10. Hi Cloy
                                                                                        11. New Approach
                                                                                        12. Hectorious

let me know who's in\out and I can see can we add a few to the booking if needed

Comment

please take ionaP when you leave this time

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                            please take ionaP when you leave this time
                                                                                            every man for himself m8

Comment

LOL, still in and hope I can last longer than the previous time though no promises

Comment

I'm in

Comment

More than likely out for that weekend

Comment

Out, Will be in London :-(

Comment

Still in but a potential London trip may scupper chances.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                        Still in but a potential London trip may scupper chances.
                                                                                                        Man down. Gutted to be missing this.

Comment

Some dead wood trimmed

Vintage Kitchen outing booked for the above and responses received in this order:
                                                                                                          1. Me
                                                                                                          2. GAB
                                                                                                          3. iSnow
                                                                                                          4. Denny
                                                                                                          5. ionapaul
                                                                                                          6. V
                                                                                                          7. Strewel
                                                                                                          8. KP
                                                                                                          9. Lao Lao
                                                                                                          10. Hi Cloy
                                                                                                          11. New Approach
                                                                                                          12. Hectorious
                                                                                                          d

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            More than likely out for that weekend
                                                                                                            It's a Thursday

Comment

It's a Thursday
                                                                                                              Currently trying to organise visas for trips to India, Sri Lanka, Iran and Ethiopia over the next Month. Only date nailed down at the moment is that I'm to be in Colombo until the 19th and I have to go to Puna for a few days as well so I'm obv going to try to make it one trip. Unlikely that an Indian visa doesn't materialise on time.

Comment

Out unfortunately

Comment

Out too unfort. Running bad as only down to work 9 days this month, it's one of them though and can't get swapped. Bon ap.

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                                                                                                                    Out too unfort. Running bad as only down to work 9 days this month, it's one of them though and can't get swapped. Bon ap.
                                                                                                                    Pulling off the tricky brag\beat post well there!

Had one of my few remaining Fusion V bottles with your name on it and all.

Comment

1. Me
                                                                                                                      2. GAB
                                                                                                                      3. iSnow
                                                                                                                      4. Denny
                                                                                                                      5. ionapaul
                                                                                                                      6. V
                                                                                                                      7. Strewel
                                                                                                                      8. KP
                                                                                                                      9. Lao Lao
                                                                                                                      10. Hi Cloy
                                                                                                                      11. New Approach
                                                                                                                      12. Hectorious

let me know who's in\out and I can see can we add a few to the booking if needed

In

Comment

I'm now in London on 21st but suspect I will be home in time for the dinner. What time are we eating at?
                                                                                                                        8.30 I think

Comment

So the guest list now looks like:

GAB
                                                                                                                          Lao Lao
                                                                                                                          Hectorjelly
                                                                                                                          New Approach
                                                                                                                          Denny
                                                                                                                          ionapaul
                                                                                                                          Myself

A far better-looking and more sophisticated gathering than the original rabble imo

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X