Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 course tasting menu for two on Groupon today for €69.

Comment

Any interest in an early Xmas dinner some Saturday night in November?

I'm thinking of something a bit unusual like the Chameleon where we could book out the top floor for 12 or so people and let rip. Horses heads and Xmas hats optional. Aim for approx €50 per head for food and anything goes after that.

Provisional date of Saturday 16th. I'll do the organizing if we have sufficient interest.

Post your interest and availability here.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I'm thinking of something a bit unusual like the Chameleon where we could book out the top floor for 12 or so people and let rip. Horses heads and Xmas hats optional. Aim for approx €50 per head for food and anything goes after that.

Provisional date of Saturday 16th. I'll do the organizing if we have sufficient interest.

can I go???
        Her sky-ness
        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
          can I go???
          Of course.
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Of course.
            secretly saying " oh jaysus nooooooooooooooooo"
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Can't do that weekend, but defo interested if either of the following two.

Comment

Eh, OK. Are partners allowed? Mrs Duke has shown an interest in meeting a few of you.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In, should be able to make most nights at the moment.
                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    Eh, OK. Are partners allowed? Mrs Duke has shown an interest in meeting a few of you.
                    Even me?
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Also, went to Bon Appetit last night. Unbeknownst to us it was a 'critics night'. Fixed price of 45 for four courses (they claimed six but one was an amuse-bouche and the other a tiny pre-dessert). You write down your impressions.

In theory, it's a nice idea: they get to try out their winter menu on real customers and you get to eat Michelin food at a discount.
                      In practice, it was pretty shit. Service was dodgy, two of the courses were plain bad plus they tried to stick an extra 40 quid on the bill for a bottle of prosecco we didn't have. Plus the stuck an 'optional tip' onto the bill which I detest.

Insane to think that Chapter One and this place are officially rated the same. I could pick twenty places without a star out of my head that are streets ahead. Will not return.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                        Even me?
                        GAB and V were mentioned but I'm sure she would find you all delightful.

Comment

Also, went to Bon Appetit last night. Unbeknownst to us it was a 'critics night'. Fixed price of 45 for four courses (they claimed six but one was an amuse-bouche and the other a tiny pre-dessert). You write down your impressions.

In theory, it's a nice idea: they get to try out their winter menu on real customers and you get to eat Michelin food at a discount.
                          In practice, it was pretty shit. Service was dodgy, two of the courses were plain bad plus they tried to stick an extra 40 quid on the bill for a bottle of prosecco we didn't have. Plus the stuck an 'optional tip' onto the bill which I detest.

Insane to think that Chapter One and this place are officially rated the same. I could pick twenty places without a star out of my head that are streets ahead. Will not return.
                          I have eaten there 3 times. Not a patch on chapter one. The food was always good but it is not a star quality restaurant imo. The greenhouse is miles ahead of it.
                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Jaysus that's dangerous territory. But it will be fun for myself and GAB

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                              did we book the chefs table in Ch1 for this purpose for the first week in Dec? I have a very very vague recollection of same the last night we were there. Should confirm or cancel with them to be fair. Also, I've nobody on my arm for said night but I suppose I could eat for two!
                              Jesus, don't remember that at all.

Comment

Jaysus that's dangerous territory. But it will be fun for myself and GAB

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4bnsx5...%3Dz4bnsx5rgSc
                                We're safe. She's going on a shopping expedition that day.

Horses head back on.

Comment

did we book the chefs table in Ch1 for this purpose for the first week in Dec? I have a very very vague recollection of same the last night we were there. Should confirm or cancel with them to be fair. Also, I've nobody on my arm for said night but I suppose I could eat for two!
                                  Would also be up for this with the Mrs, if you were short on takers.

Comment

I was also there on Friday night! We arrived around 9.

I would agree with everything you have said about it. For a Michelin starred restaurant we thought all of the courses were very average. There were no wow dishes. Sad state of affairs when the best course was probably the pre-dessert.

Service was very slow and they also tried to charge us for drinks we didn't have. I have never eaten there before but certainly got the impression that service didn't really care due to it being a cheaper menu.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      Restaurant Name: Bison
                                      Price: €€

We found ourselves at Bison at about twenty to 9 and were pretty sure we;d missed the bus. The place was wedged and I could see no restaurant 'area' not to fear, we were moved to the tiniest table in the world and ordered our grub. Fair play to the overworked waitress on delivering our food, apologised, laughed and moved us to a much more manageable table.
                                      I got the brisket and herself the pulled pork
                                      each came with 2 sides, I the onion rings and coleslaw, her the chips and I think burnt beans.
                                      The damage of this came to €25 for the two of us and no word of a lie was probably some of the finest BBQ I've had in many a year. The brisket was pink with a perfect black crust that tasted of heaven, her pulled pork melt in the mouth.
                                      Each came with accompanying sauces, hers a tangy BBQ and mine a mystery orange mustardy type sauce. Neither of us could finish the vast dishes in front of us and we both agreed to return at a later date. For value for money, this place will be tough to beat. Pitt bros will also get a look in by the lack of prep has sent alarm bells in our heads
                                      Went here Sat night and echo everything DP said. We even had the same mains/side, lol. Food very good for the price and vast amounts of hit. I did manage to finish mine though and helped the missus with hers
                                      The one thing I didn't like was that it was find your own table (no waiting list) which was a bit strange. Oh ya, the chips were shit too, but I forgave them that cos the brisket was so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasher View Post
                                        I was also there on Friday night! We arrived around 9.
                                        were you the grumpy Asians who got in a fight with the waitress?

we were the stunning couple who got twisted in the bar after

Comment

Went to Bison as well today for Sunday evening munchies. Ended up at that ickle table as well but didn't fancy scrambling about for another table so just had a drink and left. Food did look good so willing to give it a other go in future. Had a wee walk and ended up in Pitt Bros, far more like it customer service wise. Greeted promptly and warmly,given menus, 2 minute wait,then shown to table.
                                          Got 2 rolls, one pulled pork and one pulled pork and brisket. 3 sauces on table, all tasty. Good quality chips.Had been told portions were smaller than bison but couldnt see that much of a difference. Lemonade was nice,and ice cream was delish, very creamy and nice touch. Was also 25 for 2 of us,which was grand. 14 fucking 50 for the parking in multi storey tho
                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I was quite disappointed by the Bison bar. I had the brisket and the pulled pork and could barely touch the stuff, really unsavoury flavours.

Comment

a ha! we booked chefs table for Saturday 14th December for this very reason. just got email confirmation from Ch1. What's our play? I would like to chuck it back to them this week if we are not going to use it.
                                              Ah fuck off! We've a wedding that day. I'm running real bad on chapter 1 Chef's table......

Comment

Ah fuck off! We've a wedding that day. I'm running real bad on chapter 1 Chef's table......
                                                Got the Chef's Table on Friday week - can't wait Also got a €150 Chapter One voucher as a wedding present so that's another night out there for the future.

Comment

Okay guys I can get the Chameleon Opium room (private room on the top floor so we won't be disturbing anyone) from 9.15 on Saturday the 30th of November. Christmas menu as linked to above.

I need at least 14 people and it's open to partners.

Can you please confirm if you're in for this and I'll book it tomorrow once I have 7-8 definites.

Comment

Okay guys I can get the Chameleon Opium room (private room on the top floor so we won't be disturbing anyone) from 9.15 on Saturday the 30th of November. Christmas menu as linked to above.

Can you please confirm if you're in for this and I'll book it tomorrow once I have 7-8 definites.
                                                    In, if people are bringing partners I'll happily bring the boss along, if not then it'll just be me

Comment

I'm in on that night, and "Mrs ionapaul" will come too (that Mrs business still sounds very weird to me).

Comment

a ha! we booked chefs table for Saturday 14th December for this very reason. just got email confirmation from Ch1. What's our play? I would like to chuck it back to them this week if we are not going to use it.
                                                        I'll be dining in Perpignan that evening.

Comment

Will confirm this evening once I speak to senior management

Comment

V4V - I am flying back from Bristol that night and don't land until 10pm. It would be highly optimistic to think I could get there before 10.45pm so I am out. I might join in for the after party though!

RE: Chefs Table - Will I hold the reservation or let it slide? It would be disappointing were we not able to get 6 but I want to be fair to Ch1 also.
                                                            We'll run late Noel so ill stick you down for the after party. There won't be an issue with joining in a bit late.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                              In, if people are bringing partners I'll happily bring the boss along, if not then it'll just be me
                                                              Mrs V is in as well. New territory being broken!!

Max attendance is 18 for dinner ( late drunken arrivals don't count).

Comment

I believe that this that IPB xmas drinks night.
                                                                Venue yet to be decided.
                                                                I see a Venn Diagram forming....
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I believe that this that IPB xmas drinks night.
                                                                  Venue yet to be decided.
                                                                  I see a Venn Diagram forming....
                                                                  Ah ffs! They really don't have another option in November and I don't want to run into December for Xmas party season.

Edit: I'll see about a few other locations on the 16th/23rd.......a bit more work to be done. If it was easy we'd let the girls do it.....
                                                                  Last edited by V for Vendetta; 04-11-13, 14:14.

Comment

Why not go ahead with the restaurant on the 30th, we can catch up with the rest of them and arrive fashionably late once the wine runs out!

Avoiding December is probably a good idea, I've already got one weekend blocked off for a party and suspect that another one will be similarly booked before the end of the week... tis the season and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                      Why not go ahead with the restaurant on the 30th, we can catch up with the rest of them and arrive fashionably late once the wine runs out!

Avoiding December is probably a good idea, I've already got one weekend blocked off for a party and suspect that another one will be similarly booked before the end of the week... tis the season and all that.
                                                                      If all else fails that's my plan Paul. But I'll make a few calls to decent city centre restaurants first.

The Pigs Ear is out so far.

Comment

We can all bail up to the restaurant
                                                                        They do serve 3 in 1s right?
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

We can all bail up to the restaurant
                                                                          They do serve 3 in 1s right?
                                                                          Do a tour on the night: Charlies, Rick's, Ray's, Zaytoon?
                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

GAB did you cancel CH1 chef's table? I might take it.

Comment

Ate in The Schoolhouse tonight - really good set value menu, two courses for €22 and three for €25, the menu includes a drink in the pub afterwards, where there is live music on Thursday through Sunday. There was one guy with a guitar tonight, he was awesome - it is amazing how many talented people are out there; being talented with music is such a common thing, it is awesome for the rest of us!

Anyhow, the food was great. Had a crab and parmesan panne cotta for starter, really nice, and a rock bass with spinach for main, which was meatier than I thought it would be. The wife had a squid and chorizo starter (gotta admit that sounds awesome! don't like squid though) and then a stuffed aubergine for her main, she was a fan. We had a chocolate mouse (too heavy after the two courses) and banoffee for desert. Nice food and great value. Staff extremely friendly. Will return!

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                Do a tour on the night: Charlies, Rick's, Ray's, Zaytoon?
                                                                                Throw in Leo Burdocks and a Burger King (for Icarus) and you have a great idea

Comment

Throw in Leo Burdocks and a Burger King (for Icarus) and you have a great idea
                                                                                  Can't say I am a big fan of Burdocks.

Comment

I like Burdocks.

Do you know that they are the oldest chipper in Ireland?
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

obviously never had crispy bits and a lump of fish you could feed a family of four on.
                                                                                      It also helps if you eat it in the shadow of christchurch

Comment

...
                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Beshoff's in Clontarf is v. nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                            Its manky fish. You can't try Beschoffs (in Howth, not their kip in town) and ever again think Burdocks is any good. Beschoffs scampi and fries is easily one of the best fast food dishes in the world.
                                                                                            Ronnie Drew is spinning in his grave

Comment

I heard that if you say, just ordered chicken tenders they also add free chips that would be a regular portion in any other chipper.

You would be some fool to order something and chips in there.
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                I like Burdocks.

Do you know that they are the oldest chipper in Ireland?
                                                                                                Also one of the worst.

Comment

So, what's the plan for the 30th? Think Olly said it needs at between 14-18 for dinner

V4V +1?
                                                                                                  Iago +1
                                                                                                  RDIII + 1?
                                                                                                  IonaPaul + 1

anyone else?

Comment

Have booked The Greenhouse for Tuesday 26th, hope it doesn't disappoint!
                                                                                                    It sure won't! On a par with CH1 imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      Its manky fish. You can't try Beschoffs (in Howth, not their kip in town) and ever again think Burdocks is any good. Beschoffs scampi and fries is easily one of the best fast food dishes in the world.
                                                                                                      The beshoffs in town is not really beshoffs as it is not family owned. All the good ones are called beshoff bros. Clontarf, howth and mespil road
                                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Who wants to do the €40 Guilbaud 2 course lunch?
                                                                                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

I would imagine it is worth spending the extra €10 for 3 courses and trimmings.
                                                                                                          Yeah true, although I wouldn't be able to go to work after 3

It's €70 in December, I'll ask again in Jan.
                                                                                                          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Have booked The Greenhouse for Tuesday 26th, hope it doesn't disappoint!
                                                                                                            Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                            It sure won't! On a par with CH1 imo.
                                                                                                            It's pretty good but some courses are better than others. Not on a par with ch1 imo but it's at least trying to be a bit different which I appreciate.

Comment

It's pretty good but some courses are better than others. Not on a par with ch1 imo but it's at least trying to be a bit different which I appreciate.
                                                                                                              Definitely deserves a star one way or the other!

Comment

Chapter One Chef's Table in T-minus 2 1/2 hours...

Comment

off to FXB with work in a couple of hours also. looking forward to a massive steak

Comment

Our menu last night:

Another awesome night in Chapter One. The food was divine, but the Chefs Table experience enhances the occasion so much more. We had a great time chatting to, questioning and having the laugh with our waiter Patrick, with head chef Andy and sommelier Ed (when we could get hold of him same problem as the last time I was there with IPBers).

I enjoyed every dish, though my enjoyment of the game terrine was really tempered by the slightly queasy feeling I got looking at it; it tasted great but looked a bit dodgy to me (I sometimes feel the same way with sausages, I prefer meat when it is one solid portion rather than a mixture of different bits!).

Our first dish, the soup, was much nicer than I expected it would be (don't really enjoy mushrooms), and was paired with a sherry - not sure if I had every drank sherry before, it tasted so much smoother than it smelled!

The service was great as usual, everyone made us feel so welcome - I've a €150 voucher given to us as a wedding present, so can't wait to go back again sometime in the New Year. Oh, and it was jammed last night, they are really doing great business.

Comment

Name:Les Comediens

Location: Place De Clichy

Bienvenue sur le site du restaurant Les Comédiens à Paris - Bistronomique, réservez en ligne gratuitement - Création du restaurant Les Comédiens en Juil...

Went to Longchamp for the Prix de L arc de triomphe with the brov which didnt disappoint. Shouting home Moonlight Could from the rails area was really something. Comes a point where the serious business of eating needs to be done. Like true amatuers in the glow of moonlight cloud we decide to get a pint to savour our shrewdness and watch the last before getting bottle necked exit wise and queuing to get a taxi. When one came it was bumper to bumper out of dodge. We had done our wandering the day before so bee-lined for our place of residence in Place De Clichy from taxi to metro.

The night before we were befriended by some English guys and girls and the Spanish barman. In Ireland one would be weary of a couple of bastards like us but not here. We were ravenous from the earlier city travails and tried to make our excuses and go seeing they didnt have food but the barman wasnt having that. He brought me outside and directed us to a couple of choice eateries and let us know it was cool to bring our food back and eat it at the bar. It was hard to argue with that. We chose to hit a Lebanese place we had passed on the way down to the pub. When we came back the English lads had a game where you have to blend an alcoholic beverage with a world head of state in a sentence. This type of game would be right up your street id say but i hate games and puzzles that tax my brain. Got stuck in and held our own but didnt shine like Moonlight Cloud earlier. The English love their mind challenging games dont they.

Place De Clichy hub is a big roundabout with several spurs and this night we took a different spur. By the way the Lebanese food was great, fcuked if your getting a description though as its as challenging as the alcohol/heads of state game.

At the end of our tether walking for ages down this road we werent hitting anything and i was being put under pressure to rethink this path we had chosen but i held firm even though i was wavering from my staunch line on walking on. Eventually past an eternity of tobacco and low brow shops we hit an oasis and acted accordingly with some conservatory fist pumping without wanting to look out of place too much.

Like this oasis of eateries wasnt good enough for us we fell into the typical bastard thing of getting all choosy confronted with the choices in front of us. One thing that gets me is people dithering on the street when they are looking for a place to eat. Looking at the menu at the door like its going to be a huge life choice whether they choose this place or not. Its usually the girl whos wearing the balls in these situations as far as i can see, i assume its kind of a means to an end for the chap but the girl takes it awful serious.
                                                                                                                      Passed place after place like the people im usually mocking and it seemed if we didnt get a great first impression we moved on. That is until we copped ourselves on and said enough of this messing anc committed to Les Comediens. It was like all of a sudden we turned into the least fussy most frivolous patrons there was and took our seats with the PSG v Toulouse game taking the attention of the regs and by the looks of them this was their locale so to speak.

Dont know if we got lucky but for the whole weekend we had waiters who spoke good english and was eager to please and this place was no exception. This was a place that what you see is what you get and it got top marks. One thing that would im sure ruffle the feathers of the steak elite was not being asked how you like your stake done. We remarked on this when the waiter went away but put i down to the chef being self righteous which surely could only be a good thing we told ourselves as we hoped. We werent let down, the steaks came back as tender as could be so this could be a catching trend in the future to stop fools ruining their steaks with their unqualified cooking instructions, yeah the very ones making life choices whether to eat here or not!.

SPOILER

Comment

Restaurant Name: Bison
                                                                                                                        Location: 11 Wellington Quay
                                                                                                                        Website: http://www.bisonbar.ie/
                                                                                                                        Price: €€
                                                                                                                        We found ourselves at Bison at about twenty to 9 and were pretty sure we;d missed the bus. The place was wedged and I could see no restaurant 'area' not to fear, we were moved to the tiniest table in the world and ordered our grub. Fair play to the overworked waitress on delivering our food, apologised, laughed and moved us to a much more manageable table.
                                                                                                                        I got the brisket and herself the pulled pork
                                                                                                                        each came with 2 sides, I the onion rings and coleslaw, her the chips and I think burnt beans.
                                                                                                                        The damage of this came to €25 for the two of us and no word of a lie was probably some of the finest BBQ I've had in many a year. The brisket was pink with a perfect black crust that tasted of heaven, her pulled pork melt in the mouth.
                                                                                                                        Each came with accompanying sauces, hers a tangy BBQ and mine a mystery orange mustardy type sauce. Neither of us could finish the vast dishes in front of us and we both agreed to return at a later date. For value for money, this place will be tough to beat. Pitt bros will also get a look in by the lack of prep has sent alarm bells in our heads
                                                                                                                        Myself and the wife hit here last Saturday and you would find it hard to match this place for quality , quantity and value for money. I ordered the exact same as dp and the wife ordered the ribs with burnt end beans and coleslaw. My brisket came with 4 generous slices of beef each pulled apart with my hands and shoved down the gob, the onion rings were the best I've had in along time.the wife's portion of ribs was huge 6/7 long ribs of tasty goodness of which I was eyeing some of them for my desert but fair play to her she finished them off at the expense of most of the beans which she said were good but she was too stuffed to finish.
                                                                                                                        The only negative from me was a poor selection of beers but that hasn't stopped me from arranging to meet two groups of people there before Christmas.
                                                                                                                        48

Comment

Restaurant Name: Pitt Bros BBQ Project.

Location: George Street

Website: http://www.pittbrosbbq.com/

Price Range: €/€€

Review:

Last night I made the eagerly anticipated trip to Pitt Bros. I had tried to eat here before but the queue was out the door. With an estimated 45 mins wait time, like DP, we too made our way to Bison.

Inside is quiet small, which is a pity for a place with such a high demand. Cool little set up with a kinda hipster feel to it. Staff were friendly and quick to clear us a table, sit us down and bring the menus.

I opted for the Brisket which comes with two sides, onion rings and burnt end beans were my choice. Herself opted for the Masters combo bun meal which is served with one side. This is brisket and pulled pork in a bun and she opted for the fries.
                                                                                                                          The brisket wasn't as nice as I would have liked it to be. To be fair bisons brisket smashed it. Not only did Bison serve 4 slices to pitt bros 2 it seemed like a much higher quality cut. It just seemed overcooked in comparison to bisons, however I still enjoyed it. Onions rings were some of the best I have tried and the beans were fine but I wouldn't go for them again. Her burger and fries were great, no complaints there.

To accompany my meal I had a Brooklyn Larger and we had a homemade lemonade each. This lemonade was amazing, it had me instantly googling recipes for fresh lemonade. Booze selection is quite small but they nailed it IMO. Noteworthy drinks being the Sierra Nevada and punk IPA.

The pull your own Ice cream cone included in every meal, really brings out the inner child and was as exciting as it was tasty. This was a nice touch.

Bill came to a generous €38.

I do plan to return here again however if its brisket you seek go to Bison.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X