X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    I hope Denny is wearing his shinest shoes in my absence!!
    He really is.

Morally improper bets struck with Hectorjelly ftw.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    It's going grand
    I hope Denny is wearing his shinest shoes in my absence!!

Leave a comment:

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Was thinking about this last night - for a coty the size of Dublin there are very few authentic Italians. Mick Wallace's two places used to be good down by the Millenium Bridge on the north quays.
    His one in inchicore is great, the pizza is the best ive had in Dublin. Been there liads. Must try these others.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    So the guest list now looks like:

GAB
    Lao Lao
    Hectorjelly
    New Approach
    Denny
    ionapaul
    Myself
    Mickey Rosa
    Can't send PMs for some reason. Table is confirmed for 8.30 - see y'all in Mulligans tomorrow from about 7.45

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Il Bacarro
    Meeting house Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
    Price: €€€

There is always a sense of gambling heaven when your in the Dame tavern. On this particular Saturday morning we tried Peadar Kearneys on Dame street as i received Intel that it was a racing pub. When we entered ATR was on all right but it was muted as brothers in arms played out. The bar tender was like a slimline Brian Dennehy and his countenance was initially affable but with an underlying tone of don't try to take over here lads im the captain. This was received loud and clear by us and a tentative understanding followed that he would traverse to RUK and ATR with volume when required which didnt run seamlessly well but a good u=enough effort that we didnt feel he was sticking it to us.

There was no other meaningful punters in the joint but the bartender was mindful not to alienate normies who might pop their heads in so he the music on between racing with ATR and RUK muted which i didnt like but understood. It was a reasonable alternative but it was never going to be a staple and the Dame was calling so we said our goodbyes and moved over the road to the dame into the familiar racing environs.
    The Dame has no pretence at all. They dont do food they dont even do bar snacks but they roll out the racing and anybody who doesn't like it can put it in their pipe and smoke it. It helps the the proprietors like a punt and are effectively punters themselves.

The pints flowed with the ebb and flow of the racing and curmudgeons all round and all was good. I went to the nearby boylesports shop and was checking up a price at the screen when a down on his luck 25 year old with a likely substance abuse problem engaged me with the tone of voice that indicated his words was the main energy he had left in his body ''Sorry bud....could you tell me how do you spell Rooney?''.
    I said yeah no problem R O O N when he interjected ...''Could you write it down for me?''. No problem i said ''first scorer yeah''?. Yeah. How much do you want on it?. €1.50 . He was grateful for the help and proceeded to the counter with his bag and baggage and i overheard him saying to the clerk ''So if Rooney scores first how much do i win?''.

Later with the racing done town seemed bleak enough place and we stumbled onto Ill Baccario. They had no idea we were previously voicing our opinions on poor horses and jockeys and in the general tumult of wading through the usual detritus that comes with drinking in the Dame tavern thats akin to a slaughterhouse employee without the tell tale signs of actual blood. Removed from this passion we were now presenting ourselves to a completely different and and much loved passion. Food.
    After the slaughter you go through punting racing all afternoon you are nearly expecting walking into a reputable eating establishment to be stopped for some reason. But you need keep thinking that these reasonable people dont know what youve been up to for the previous fer hours so you do your best to walk in like you mean it and hope the residue of the gambling cordite doesn't leave a residue for staff to be alerted.

As soon as we entered we were seated and greeted as any normal paying punter would be. The gambler veil had drifted into the night. As we were seated a couple were on their way out when a guy was overheard saing to his girl ''Ive got an awful load of work ahead of me tomorrow to which my brother and i smiled ruefully knowing that this guy was trying to make good his free Sunday ahead of him. Like what would you have to do of a Sunday work wise. I didnt hear his moll reply with a sympathetic tone so i hope she harbours fears of our notions. I mean what class of chap says to his girl walking out of a restaurant of a Saturday night how busy he will be tomorrow especially if that's what he really means. Amateur night that and as our hostess approached i told her about that whole scenario i just heard but i detected she was too open minded to fall hook line and sinker to row in with my observations. I think she was displaying a neutral stance to stay professional which you can't fault someone for. For starters we got the bruschette with fresh tomato, basil and extra virgin olive oil, Peppers and sweet gorgonzola cheese,Fresh garlic and extra virgin olive oil which hit the spot in no uncertain terms.
    The staff by now were probably losing flips to come over to us for any reason.

Choose a wine for the combined price of the mains which i cant rember but for mains i chose Grilled Prime Irish rib-eye 10oz with a mixed herb marinade served with baby roast potatoes. As a bit of a nonsense there was a €3 charge of pepper sauce!. Otherwise you're getting it dry so decided to go with the stick up pepper sauce but will concede it was top class with real pepper balls which sold it and disarmed any subsequent appraisals. It momentarily took the pep from my step but looking at the cavernous old brick walls lessons any quibbles. You just get the hell on with it and rub away any petty obstacles as not to take away from your overall enjoyment.
    An overall good experience of food and ambiance in a cavernous setting,

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Originally posted by RichieM View Post
    Just a favorite of mine due to closeness to where I live but not going to win a popular vote. Mama Mia's on Grattan street is an authentic little Italian ran by Italians and churning out cheap and delicious food - like Italian restaurants in Italy.
    Cosy!

Leave a comment:

• The C Kid
    replied
    Thanks for the Italian recommendations, a friend whose father is Italian raves about Pinocchio so think I'll give that a spin first.

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
    Not quite town but Pinocchio in Ranelagh would have to be on any list.
    Nice one, one of the few places I haven't tried (for some unknown reason), must give it a spin soon.

Leave a comment:

• RichieM
    replied
    Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
    Any recommendations for the best authentic Italian in town? Cheers.
    Just a favorite of mine due to closeness to where I live but not going to win a popular vote. Mama Mia's on Grattan street is an authentic little Italian ran by Italians and churning out cheap and delicious food - like Italian restaurants in Italy.

Leave a comment:

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied

Leave a comment:

• careca
    replied
    Was thinking about this last night - for a coty the size of Dublin there are very few authentic Italians. Mick Wallace's two places used to be good down by the Millenium Bridge on the north quays.
    there is one just down from Vincents Hospital, on road to Blackrock which is decent.

Place in Bray is one of the best around, even though its not 'in town'

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mickey Rosa
    replied
    Not quite town but Pinocchio in Ranelagh would have to be on any list.

Leave a comment:

• thechamp87
    replied
    Imo it used to be Il Primo on Montague Lane until it closed.
    Il Vicoletto off Dame Street is very good.
    Vaguely recall being told Rottinculo on Clanbrassil Street is good.

Leave a comment:

• The C Kid
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Mondays and Tuesdays should be very rewarding with a small bit of googling for valoooooooooooooo
    Yeah there's value alright, and in many places you're mixing with service industry types who are obviously >>>> average Joe.

Leave a comment:

• Mickey Rosa
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Can't really justify cooking for just myself so eat out every day and inevitably it's just myself a couple of a days a week. Anyone have suggestions for places that in town that take walk-ins and you don't feel like a weirdo for dining solo? Somewhere like The Bank is an ideal spot, it's just a pity that the menu isn't a bit better.
    Have eaten in Bear a couple of times solo, pretty suitable given it's a lot of communal tables.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Can't really justify cooking for just myself so eat out every day and inevitably it's just myself a couple of a days a week. Anyone have suggestions for places that in town that take walk-ins and you don't feel like a weirdo for dining solo? Somewhere like The Bank is an ideal spot, it's just a pity that the menu isn't a bit better.
    Mondays and Tuesdays should be very rewarding with a small bit of googling for valoooooooooooooo

Leave a comment:

• MrsFlushdraw
    replied
    McDonalds, Burger King

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Brother hubbards is a bit of a joke, they have some poncy girl trying to seat people in a small square room with like 5 seats.

Leave a comment:

• careca
    replied
    brother hubbards is nice and there were a few weirdos, sorry single lads, there the night I was there Capel St.

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    Anywhere as long as you're accompanied by a clip-board, a ridiculous bow-tie and and an inquisitive eye. Ask random questions from server and mark on clip-board for hilarity

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 12-01-16, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by mocata View Post
    Gf was raging when she took me there for birthday treat a few years ago. Coffee was beyond shockingly poor, i was still buzzing with happiness about the sweetbreads and truffle powder coke spoon. She was giving out about the fact it was the last impression of a place, and how if they can fuck up something so simple it doesnt bode well for how things are ran.
    Colleague of my wife's used to work in the hotel and apparently KT asked for a bit of accounting help from them one time and she was sent up. He gave her one of those office storage boxes full of crumpled invoices and said 'I'm not sure which ones are paid'.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    That was me. Didn't book it. Still trying to ponder anniversaryamemts surprise dinner. Have rang Chapter 1 about a dozen times and left a voice mail but no call back. Can only assume they are closed this week
    They are indeed. Would try the greenhouse despite GABs protestations.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Dropped into Thorntons for early dinner. Terrible value. Main the size of a starter. Think someone from here was on about going soon. Would give it a swerve if possible.
    That was me. Didn't book it. Still trying to ponder anniversaryamemts surprise dinner. Have rang Chapter 1 about a dozen times and left a voice mail but no call back. Can only assume they are closed this week

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Keane View Post
    That truffle powder coke spoon is the best thing I've experienced probably ever.
    That was class but it's a long time ago now.

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    That truffle powder coke spoon is the best thing I've experienced probably ever.

Leave a comment:

• mocata
    replied
    Gf was raging when she took me there for birthday treat a few years ago. Coffee was beyond shockingly poor, i was still buzzing with happiness about the sweetbreads and truffle powder coke spoon. She was giving out about the fact it was the last impression of a place, and how if they can fuck up something so simple it doesnt bode well for how things are ran.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just leaving now. 2 other customers here. Losing a star hurts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dropped into Thorntons for early dinner. Terrible value. Main the size of a starter. Think someone from here was on about going soon. Would give it a swerve if possible.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
    Somehow missed this the last time around! I haven't met any of you before I don't think (with the exception of New Approach), but I'd be interested in joining if there was a free spot?
    consider yourself in

Leave a comment:

• Mickey Rosa
    replied
    Somehow missed this the last time around! I haven't met any of you before I don't think (with the exception of New Approach), but I'd be interested in joining if there was a free spot?

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    So the guest list now looks like:

GAB
    Lao Lao
    Hectorjelly
    New Approach
    Denny
    ionapaul
    Myself

A far better-looking and more sophisticated gathering than the original rabble imo

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    I'm now in London on 21st but suspect I will be home in time for the dinner. What time are we eating at?
    8.30 I think

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Vintage Kitchen outing booked for the above and responses received in this order:
    1. Me
    2. GAB
    3. iSnow
    4. Denny
    5. ionapaul
    6. V
    7. Strewel
    8. KP
    9. Lao Lao
    10. Hi Cloy
    11. New Approach
    12. Hectorious

let me know who's in\out and I can see can we add a few to the booking if needed

In

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
    Out too unfort. Running bad as only down to work 9 days this month, it's one of them though and can't get swapped. Bon ap.
    Pulling off the tricky brag\beat post well there!

Had one of my few remaining Fusion V bottles with your name on it and all.

Leave a comment:

• kpnuts
    replied
    Out too unfort. Running bad as only down to work 9 days this month, it's one of them though and can't get swapped. Bon ap.

Leave a comment:

• HiCloy
    replied
    Out unfortunately

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    It's a Thursday
    Currently trying to organise visas for trips to India, Sri Lanka, Iran and Ethiopia over the next Month. Only date nailed down at the moment is that I'm to be in Colombo until the 19th and I have to go to Puna for a few days as well so I'm obv going to try to make it one trip. Unlikely that an Indian visa doesn't materialise on time.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    More than likely out for that weekend
    It's a Thursday

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Some dead wood trimmed

Vintage Kitchen outing booked for the above and responses received in this order:
    1. Me
    2. GAB
    3. iSnow
    4. Denny
    5. ionapaul
    6. V
    7. Strewel
    8. KP
    9. Lao Lao
    10. Hi Cloy
    11. New Approach
    12. Hectorious
    d

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    Still in but a potential London trip may scupper chances.
    Man down. Gutted to be missing this.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Still in but a potential London trip may scupper chances.

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    Out, Will be in London :-(

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    More than likely out for that weekend

Leave a comment:

• NewApproach
    replied
    I'm in

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    LOL, still in and hope I can last longer than the previous time though no promises

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
    please take ionaP when you leave this time
    every man for himself m8

Leave a comment:

• Lord Sir Banter
    replied
    please take ionaP when you leave this time

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Reminder

Ok, booked for 8 peeps on Thursday 21st Jan.
    1. Me
    2. GAB
    3. iSnow
    4. Denny
    5. ionapaul
    6. V
    7. Strewel
    8. KP
    9. Lao Lao
    10. Hi Cloy
    11. New Approach
    12. Hectorious

let me know who's in\out and I can see can we add a few to the booking if needed

Leave a comment:

• Nuttkickker
    replied
    Real Atalho: Lisbon

First review

Restaurant: Real Atalho
    Type: Steakhouse, Barbeque
    Price: €€

Os melhores bifes de Lisboa If you are a meat maven like myself you will travel far and wide to find good cuts ...

Was in Lisbon last week and found this little gem. Was talking to the chef/ Owner who is also a butcher from sweden who started off barbequing from the back of his butcher shop and selling it on the square. He now has 4 restaurants in lisbon aswell as the butchers. He was also raving about how good his staff, interestingly he pays them swedish standard wages and conditions. price is a bargain for what you get.

Lisbon is very lively and great place for a lads weekend away. Had never really heard of it for its nightlife before.

Leave a comment:

• newbie2
    replied
    Ate in Chapter One on Wednesday night. Still great food. Probably my favorite Dublin restaurant. It did look like the price had gone up a bit. Me and the wife dropped €330. The guts on pre dinner cocktails and a couple of nice bottles of Gavi, I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• thechamp87
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Quiet in here lately. I see Chapter One have put their prices up.

Dinner now €75 from €65
    Tasting now €95 from €85
    Chef's Table now €100 from €85 with wine pairing gone from €40 to €50.
    That must have only happened in the past few days? I was looking at it the other day and it still listed the old prices. It's still the best meal I've had in Dublin so will probably go ahead and book it for next year as planned despite the changes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Guy with English accent? Last time I was at the chef's table I inquired after him and got a strange response. My feeling was that his departure wasn't amicable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Quiet in here lately. I see Chapter One have put their prices up.

Dinner now €75 from €65
    Tasting now €95 from €85
    Chef's Table now €100 from €85 with wine pairing gone from €40 to €50.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Doing some xmas season restaurant reservations. I've plumped for VDC in Naas and Thorntons thus far. Any suggestions out there?
    I've given up going to restaurants (well, expecting any decent standard of cooking and\or service) at Christmas.
    So many times going to places you know are good and being let down badly 'because it's Christmas'. Fuck that.

Leave a comment:

• CHDad
    replied
    GAB
    V
    KP
    Ionapaul
    New Approach
    Strewel
    Denny
    iSnow
    Lao Lao