X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BennyHiFi
    replied
    I see Andrew Fairlie is retiring as his illness becomes terminal. Didn't recognise him in a recent group photo.

Had a very memorable meal there once. Unusual spot. Windowless room in the centre of Gleneagles Hotel. Awesome lobster.

Leave a comment:

• ghostface
    replied
    Was in Kinsale last week and went to Finns Table. Highly recommend if anyone is down in those parts.

Had the Lobster Mac n Cheese for starter and the Surf and Turf of fillet steak and scallops for mains. The missus had a trio of crab for starters and same mains and all the food for excellent. Even went for desserts after which usually don't and the milles feuilles (some lemon and lime based thing from memory) was top notch. Surf and Turf was about €38 so that's the sort of price range. Will def need a reservation too as place is pretty small.

Leave a comment:

• SatNav
    replied
    Myself and Mia off to Kraków in 3 weeks and a polish lad I know told me visit this spot which is near our hotel.
    Table is booked for 6pm the day we arrive.

I'm. Loving the history of it, sounds amazing. I'd say mia will probably only eat dessert though lol

Hopefully do an oul trip report on it. Macdonalds then for following 2 days

Leave a comment:

• The Istanbul
    replied
    Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
    Has anyone been to Rolys Bistro lately at all. Herself wants to go for nostalgia reasons for her birthday but I literally haven't been since the last century. Any use any more?
    Still excellent

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
    Has anyone been to Rolys Bistro lately at all. Herself wants to go for nostalgia reasons for her birthday but I literally haven't been since the last century. Any use any more?
    I seriously doubt you’ll notice any difference. Same menu, same setup for years.

Leave a comment:

• Dice75
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    I know the owner of that place. Use to work for her in another business she has in Ashbourne. Her and her partner pour absolutely everything they have into the business so good to see it works. I've only ever had takeaway from there and always been top notch.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Need to get back into some proper reviewing.

Going to Mr Fox at the w/e, which I have heard good things of.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Did a vegan cheese and wine pairing event at Hugo's at the weekend, but why type how went when I can show you.

My top 3 wines were Chateau Haut Garriga Bordeaux, San Silvestre Ottone Piemonte Barbera and Louis Latour Macon Lugny, not expensive and great, nice to have the classic French Sommelier going through each as you have them of course.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Not at all, everything you said made sense which made me think I was cracking up.

The second label was fantastic so really want to get my hands on the main one now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    lol sorry I put you to all that trouble!

Yea he's the FoH manager there. Always game for a chat about wine or anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    2000 St Juliens don't come cheap. Just looked it up on winesearcher there and it suggests an average retail price of €130 which would probably translate to around 300 in a restaurant. I'd say someone made a mistake, or maybe they were just offering a bargain. Hope it was nice
    This was bugging me as he defo said Larose to me and I was starting to think I was going mad. So on the way to the IFI Doc Festival, I dropped in and asked if I could look at their wine menu as I was in the other week and was wasn't sure what I had.

The front of house had just given me the menu when the restaurant manager came over (he obviously heard the conversation) and told me what I had, how much it cost and what I had originally tried to order!

I had Sarget de gruaud larose 2000 which is the second label of the chateau, (similar to Lynch Bages/Echo) and it was 150. They have a 2004 chateau gruaud larose on the menu for 220 so 300 would probably be about right 2000.

Had a good chat with Ed, who seems to be restaurant manager/sommelier. He's a very knowledgeable guy and could have happily spent an hour or two yapping away to him but had to head to the festival.

So, not mad, just a bit stupid :')

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    That sounds like they just gave you the more expensive one for the same price, surely he knew what he was doing. Sweet deal!

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
    Their jacks alone deserves a trip report. Been a few times but its always just a 1 or 2 max drink meeting point of a very early Saturday afternoon so usually empty enough at that time. Never ate there though save for a toasted sambo. I remember they have a strange payment policy. You pay for your food up front but you pay for the drink afterwards or something!. Seats are a killer too.
    I've actually never been to the jacks in there, dunno where it even is, just be past the beer fridge. Ah you're missing out on not eating there, the sandwiches normally come with an extended monologue.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    It was delish!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    2000 St Juliens don't come cheap. Just looked it up on winesearcher there and it suggests an average retail price of €130 which would probably translate to around 300 in a restaurant. I'd say someone made a mistake, or maybe they were just offering a bargain. Hope it was nice

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    @ Lao Lao. I'd expect that wine to go for €300+ in a restaurant. What gives?
    Wine was 150.

3 course meal was 80 a head, 3 euro for still water, 3 for sparkling and 150 for the wine.

I had originally ordered a 2005 Cantenac Brown which was also 150 but the sommelier came over to advise they had none left and recommended the Larose, "which was drinking perfectly right now" - Unless they charged for the Cantenac in error but surely they wouldn't recommend a bottle twice the price of the one you originally ordered?

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Pretty sure it's an Irish thing to have korma sweet, people eating here for the first time are warned off it.

Have always thought I'd love to get a rounders trip report of probus wines on Fenian Street, it's an experience.
    Their jacks alone deserves a trip report. Been a few times but its always just a 1 or 2 max drink meeting point of a very early Saturday afternoon so usually empty enough at that time. Never ate there though save for a toasted sambo. I remember they have a strange payment policy. You pay for your food up front but you pay for the drink afterwards or something!. Seats are a killer too.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Brought it himself? Maybe. But then the food doesn't add up.

Korma here has always been realllllly sweet. Probably depends on the kinda place you go to.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 28-09-18, 19:24.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    @ Lao Lao. I'd expect that wine to go for €300+ in a restaurant. What gives?

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Pretty sure it's an Irish thing to have korma sweet, people eating here for the first time are warned off it.

Have always thought I'd love to get a rounders trip report of probus wines on Fenian Street, it's an experience.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Restaurant Name: Glovers Alley

Price Range: €€€€

Review:

Mrs Lao Lao's birthday last week so I booked this for the Saturday night.

On way to the restaurant, we stopped off in The Lucky Duck (the latest bar/establishment by the Press Up Entertainment Group who must own/run about two dozen places in Dublin at this stage) for a quick pre dinner G&T.

I can't for the life of me remember what was there beforehand (I actually initially confused it with The Swan which is the next street down) but I really like what they have done with the place. They have a little snug plus really large windows which are perfect for sitting with a drink and watching the world go by. Not on this night of course, as I was completely attentive to her needs seems as it was her birthday Two Hendrinks & Fever Tree was €20 on the nose which is OK for city centre and apparently they have a cocktail bar upstairs but didn't venture up to check it out.

From there, we strolled around to Glovers Alley for a 9PM kick off. The place looks good and smaller than it looks in pictures that I had seen. We started off with a glass of Champagne each (which I later realised that they didn't charge us for), had a few hors d'oeuvres and some freshly cooked bread and then got onto the main event of eating.

For starters, I went with the Aged Beef Tartare, Button Mushroom, Hazelnut, Chive while Mrs LL went with the Scallop Ceviche, Tomato, Radish, Vanilla. I really like beef tartare and find it hard to pass up on a menu and this delivered. There was several different types/textures to the mushrooms and it all just worked. I got a sliver of the ceviche and it tasted very good but I was happy with my selection.

For mains, I was torn between a few options (Lamb, Sucklin Pig, Duck and Monkfish) but when it comes down to choose as the waiter stands over you, there was always going to be one winner and I opted for the Comeragh Mountain Lamb, Summer Vegetables, Anchovy while herself went with the Suckling Pig, Turnip, Chorizo, Cabernet Sauvignon Vinegar. The lamb was devine but there was an odd addition of a lamb ragu which was served on it's own in a bowl on the side which was a bit strange. Don't get me wrong, it was luxurious and velvety and I scoffed it down but it just seemed odd to throw it in when then dish advertsied was more than enough of a main course. I don't think Mrs LL shared her pig which probably speaks enough about it.

Desert was Itakuja Chocolate, Passion Fruit, Banana for me and Citrus Souffle, Manjari Chocolate for herself. Mine was lovely, I'm a big fan of chocolate and this was light and a perfect way to finish off the meal. The souffle looked and tsted good but it was just too big, I think it was the biggest souffle I've ever seen in a giant ramekin and she couldn't finish it all.

The whole meal was washed down with a bottle of 2000 Chateau Gruaud Larose.

The staff were very friendly but they did seem a little nervous, almost on edge which was slightly strange as they have the location, environment and talent in the kitchen to pull off a great night out.

Total bill came to €316 - Would have been €352 if they had charged us for the Champagne.

I'd probably put it just ahead of One Pico, albeit, they haven't being doing it for over 20 years so that may be a bit harsh

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Top fare at Mt Everest of Kathmandu Bray.
    I would suggest the lamb jalfrezi, it was top class. The Korma was nice but just too sweet. Everywhere seems to be changing the wheel with Korma these days by making it sweeter?.
    The complimentary poppadom and dips at the very start was even explained to me in detail as it was put in front of me like it was a new innovation. Maybe the waiter didnt see me as a citizen of experience in such matters but I let on nothing and went along like it was my first time in such an establishment as you just cant waive off tuition like this. Imagine saying yeah I know, just imagine that.
    Very enjoyable meal.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Shouk in Drumcondra never disappoints, sucha great lunch place. Nice to sit out in the sun when weather permits. It's the best place for that kind of food around imo, that smokey roasted aubergine thing in the bottom right is unreal.

Leave a comment:

• Irisheman
    replied
    Based in Blackrock now and 3 leaves really is worth the visit.

I still think Anada is the best Indian in Dublin though

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    bah - I need to get there.
    Last edited by Irisheman; 26-09-18, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• MrsFlushdraw
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    Where would the exhausted suddenly toddler free couple go for a night out?
    We missed our wedding anniversary due to my dad's accident and can finally organize a night for the two of us.
    Thinking Dinner and cocktails.
    Have an inkling on the blind pig for the latter but somewhat lost on the former.
    How about Asador? nice cocktails, nice food?

Leave a comment:

• elbows
    replied
    We missed our wedding anniversary due to my dad's accident and can finally organize a night for the two of us.
    Have an inkling on the blind pig for the latter but somewhat lost on the former.
    Sophie’s in the Dean is a great setting for Dinner and Cocktails.

Panoramic views of Dublin and nice buzz there.

Food is decent but not amazing.

Always like the bar upstairs in the Westbury for a couples nightcap.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ed
    replied
    ^^ You caused a memory reflex..

Has anybody been to 3 Leaves in Blackrock?

http://www.3leaves.ie/
    Went again today, still excellent

Leave a comment:

• Hitchhiker's Guide To...
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Yeah I was going out to a doctor in Blackrock a year or so ago and was pottering around the market beforehand. I tried the door of this unassuming place but it was locked, the chef saw me out the window leaving and waved me back. He informed me he wasn't open for hours and was just in preparing. I asked was anything vegan and he said "I can make you anything", so I just sat in there on my own while he went off to make me some dishes. It was an absolutely tiny place so it must have expanded by now. What he came back with was absolutely fantastic and really cheap, I was really shocked! If ever in Blackrock I'd be straight back, really nice guy and great food.

Edit: Found a pic of one of the dishes that cost a fiver. I was there in 2016, due back!

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-08-18, 22:31.

Leave a comment:

• Ed
    replied
    ^^ You caused a memory reflex..

Has anybody been to 3 Leaves in Blackrock?

http://www.3leaves.ie/
    Just for lunch, was excellent

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Went to Ananda for a birthday meal recently (two years in a row, maybe the start of a new family tradition) - it's always a great option. I could well see a vegan meal being as nice as a meat-filled one. That being said.... prawns.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    For somebody that loves food it seems like a slap in the face in an otherwise well curated meal but I understand the kind of people that upper-end restaurants wish to attract would be greatly amorous of such nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    gold leaf in food has never made sense to me
    it's not absorbed by your body and is chemically inert.
    There is literally no point to it apart from glitz
    It has no taste, texture or calories.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Went to the Vegan In Ireland first culinary event at Ananda with a friend last night. I was wondering how popular that would be and was pleasantly surprised to see a sign saying the restaurant was closed for a vegan tasting event as I approached.

There was about 40-50 people there, only 10 of which were vegan I was told upon entering, so it would be interesting to see what everybody else thought. Definitely a more eh, affluent crowd. we were seated with four other people that I didn't know but were lovely. They were really into food, cooking and Ananda in general, they were there to see could the food be good, what would it even be like and so on. Frankly I was wondering how good it could be either and would it be worth the price tag there.

I had missed the first half of the event which was a cooking class with the head chef there, showing people a few of the pieces from the menu for the night but I got the recipes to try out. I was deligted to hear of somebody using kala namak (black salt), one of my favourite ingredients when cooking.

I bypassed wine for now and got an elderflower daiquiri to start and waited for the Amuse Bouche. The Head Chef came out and gave a talk about the night, vegnaism, the food and what went into it, the origins in India and so forth, a really endearing young man. The food arrived and it was "Old Delhi Chaat", the host explained what it was and how to eat it properly. I plucked it up with one hand and ate it in a single bite as advised. There was so much going on that I can not tell you what exactly was in it but honestly the flavours were still changing in my mouth after ten seconds and it was heaven. Murmurs of assent from the crowd, a really nice atmosphere. I knew I was in for a good time.

Following on from that there was the Assiette which consisted of a potato and pea galette, a fermented rice cake, pickled tea leaves with spiced chickpeas, a corn and watercress seekh kebab and a plum citrus salad. Star of the show here was the fermented rice cake if I had to choose, the chef said after that it would be the first thing from menu onto their main menu due to the feedback for it, I'm not sure what witchcraft made it fluffy, it was an lighter fermented savoury victorian sponge cake taht was left soaking flavours overnight. At this stage one of the women piped up that this was as good as if not better than the normal tasting menu and another joined in with the fact that she really wanted to find any fault with the vegan food but everything was amazing.

The fermentation was not over as it must be in vogue, before the next course came out they brought out the most interesting component in some jars for each table to smell, and if very adventurous, taste. It was aged black limes fermented. The jars were opened as the chef explained to the room that the black limes were dried for two months before being fermented for a year, it was pungent! My nose did not know wtf it was witnessing when I brought the jar close, it was electric. I dipped a knife in and it was some form of new taste I had never had anything like. The course involving it arrived, a Himalayan sea salt with toasted cumin seed sorbet, aged black lime on top. So strange to have cumin seeds in a sorbet, really delicious.

Next up was apricot and butternut squash koftas with textures of spinach, fresh tumeric, quinoa and wild morel pulao. With that came tandoori bread with a vessel of yellow split pea daal. Fantastic.

Final course was coconut kheer, with seasonal macerated and fresh berries, lemon verbena, crisp kataifi, raspberry sorbet and 24 karat gold leaf.
    Delicious, dessert, made with coconut milk instead of dairy and was a nice twist. As a woman said, in Ireland we have terrible memories of rice pudding but this changed all that.
    I didn't see the point of 24ct gold leaf personally. The berries really reminded me of what a difference perfect fruit makes vs the standard affair and the nest of "kataifi" was wonderful.

Finished off with coffee (I shouldn't have had this was buzzing all night.) while there was a Q&A with the chef along with feedback and so forth (first comment from a woman telling him they were all in love with him now), a few rounds of applause and things like that. He hung around with all the staff to talk to us about the food, was a really great experience and have felt great since. It is always good to see some non-vegan people trying food like that and being wowed. Food was €70 with drinks on top, definitely worth it and I can't wait to go back, and to the next events in the series, especially the wine and cheese tasting with Hugo's sommelier and Afternoon Tea in The Shelbourne with the Executive Chef.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-08-18, 11:58.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    Tried searching there too but could only find a one liner from you saying it was good and one from zuutroy saying lunch wasn't great. Will have another look.
    Went for dinner there subsequently and it was really good so would disregard the lunch comment as it was only a week or two after they opened.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    yes. you'll find several posts about it in the BBV from a few ppl.
    Tried searching there too but could only find a one liner from you saying it was good and one from zuutroy saying lunch wasn't great. Will have another look.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Has anybody been to Glovers Alley yet?

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    King Oyster mushroom likeness. Some people do eat certain bivalves though.

Leave a comment:

• RichieM
    replied
    Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    Not bad for less than €15! We booked in again.

Is that scallops in the starter, do they count as vegetables?

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    Surprised that thundercut alley is good for food with it's dingy pub atmosphere.

Used this site this evening which was pretty cool if you want an early dinner. https://www.firsttable.ie/
    You pay €6 for a booking up to 4 people at an early time, and get all your food half price. Had a 3 course meal at Sova for €12 after work. Of course you do feel obliged to have a few drinks which is not so much of a problem
    They've just started up so I'm sure their restaurant list will expand.

Not bad for less than €15! We booked in again.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Yeah it's only here for like a week so far, it's established in other countries AFAIK.
    That probably depends on the restaurant, we were half an hour late today and nobody said anything, we did still need to have the table back at the same time for the next booking.
    You are supposed to show the deal on your phone at the start so at that time they would have to say or they can GTFO. I didn't actually have to show mine as the waitress already knew but I tried anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Sounds like a good deal, presume it is only new as there doesn't seem to be too many places on it?

I wonder how strict the restaurants are on this? Could be a very easy get out clause

What happens if I’m late for my reservation?

The 50% off meals deal is only available for the date and time you have booked. If you are more than 15 minutes late the deal is off.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Surprised that thundercut alley is good for food with it's dingy pub atmosphere.

Used this site this evening which was pretty cool if you want an early dinner. https://www.firsttable.ie/
    You pay €6 for a booking up to 4 people at an early time, and get all your food half price. Had a 3 course meal at Sova for €12 after work. Of course you do feel obliged to have a few drinks which is not so much of a problem
    They've just started up so I'm sure their restaurant list will expand.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-08-18, 19:31.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    The next Thursday or Friday available in Vintage Kitchen for a larger group is Jan 10th 2019, which just happens to be my birthday!

I've booked it for 8 people at 8:30PM and will get confirmation of numbers on here in Dec, too early to do it now.

Leave a comment:

• mocata
    replied
    Went to this place after the Lighthouse on Saturday

https://www.facebook.com/ThunderCutAlleyD7

Food was really well done, Never felt driven to comment on Nachos before, but everything about these was glorious, Creamy Lime-y Guac, Fruity Chilis, Cheese nicely stringy and Tangy, great texture on the Nachos, sour cream just balancing it all out.

Had a meal deal for €50, 2 good Margaritas, 2 Tacos, 2 Flatbreads and Nachos. The Lamb taco was delish, v earthy meat with tzatziki to lighten and chimichurri to liven it up. Everything was really nicely presented, plenty of colour on the plates.

Asked for an Old-Fashioned for after and it was an awful bastard creation. cold coffee in for it for some god unknown reason. 10 seconds on a smartphone would have shown em how to make one FFS. The Camp Fella hosting seen the face I was pulling and took it off bill so no harm done really just an silly waste of time for all involved.

Décor and music was 80s/90s themed, which I loved. Very Garish with lots of black and neon, subversive soft porn style art everywhere, so maybe not a place for a communion meal or to take the conservative In-Laws.

Cant wait to have a reason to go back with a Gang for a sesh.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    100% good advice.
    It's a party of 10 as well so minimum time fluting around is for the best
    Cheers
    Ended up in the Knights bar in Clontarf castle.
    It was intensely disappointing.

The chowder was this thick pea green thing with bits of fried smoked fish sprinkled on top. described thusly;
    leek and potato voluté, wild mussels, fresh Irish salmon and
    smoked haddock, bacon and brioche crumb
    it was just a real let down of a dish, me dad was dying for something hearty and loves a good chowder. This was shite.

The wings did the cardinal sin of serving the full wing instead of breaking it down. It was wet, kinda like boiled chicken then basted in a sauce. Just awful stuff.
    The flat breads were something you would serve a table, just oceans of pita and dips. I've no idea how it would be meant for one person
    Pork belly were just a fatty mess. I think I've lost memory of the last time I've eaten pork belly that was good. It just appears that most kitchens do not know how to render fat correctly and I'm usually served a bit of thin crisp skin, a layer of white globulous fat and rubbery pork.
    Dessert for me was date and walnutcake with caramel ice cream which was lovely I guess.
    The date element just seemed to be a chopped date on the side of the sponge.
    Others had apple tart (served cold) with a choice of cream or ice cream
    when one noted they got cream instead of icecream it was whipped and pretty much swapped with someone elses given the speed.

All in all I wish we had of went elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Thread needs more posting. I'll be going to some of these events over the coming weeksn and months, can't wait: https://veganinireland.com/irelands-...y-event-series
    Especially the chef talk / demonstration / tasting menu at Ananda and afternoon tea @ The Shelboune.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Ended up here the other night, tried 101 but it was closed. It was awful, literally every course, even the drinks afterwards were awful. And I used to have it in the "not great but decent value" range.
    Six of us ended up here [le bon crubeen] recently and was quite dubious as they have no vegan menu normally and haven't heard good things in general. They banged out 3 options for each course and the ones we had were surprisingly good and it was only €25 for a 8/9PM sitting. Had no idea how much we would be charged before paying.

At the time I was there I spotted two people I know on a secret first date so also got a scandalous scoop, thank you Le Bon Crubeen.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-08-18, 13:56.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Interested in all options

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    If there is interest, I'm happy to organise a night in either Vintage Kitchen, Chef's table at Chapter One or something totally different?

Seems as the Duke has abandoned his primary responsibility on IPB
    Last edited by Lao Lao; 07-08-18, 14:19.

Leave a comment:

• SatNav
    replied

Popped in here for Sunday lunch , have to say was absolutely beautiful. In the middle of nowhere kinda. But relaxed atmosphere. Not expensive.
    Think they won a Michelin award or something too

Had a lovely starter. Croquettes with chorizo and cheesy kinda thing and a Devine crispy pork belly type thing.

Anyway worst review ever but if ever down that way we'll worth the visit. Staff fantastic too

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    I was in La Bodega Tapas Bar in Ranelagh last night. Third time in three years. First time, food was excellent, really fresh tapas. 2nd time, it was a bit meh but thought it might just be an off night.

Hadn't planned to go our for dinner last night, it was a bit impromptu so had nothing booked. Our choice of the Night Market (new Thai place) was knocked on the head as they were fully booked so we opted for La Bodega.

Every single dish was as bland as can be. We had a chorizo dish that was duller than dish water, no idea how you can turn chorizo so tasteless.

The bizarre part is that the place was packed (we got the last table) and it seems to be like that all the time, really don't get it it to be honest but definitely avoid for the future.
    I've had literally the exact same experience, first time class, second time meh, third time confirmed it. Off my circuit now... Tried Nightmarket a few weeks ago, it was pretty nice Thai fare, but not "blow your mind I must go back" or anything.

any talk of a rehash of a community dinner would be welcome if Gimme/RCIII were to revisit the idea?

Leave a comment:

• MrsFlushdraw
    replied
    Originally posted by dobby View Post
    Cheese board "instead" of dessert??? Cheese board is the mother of all desserts!
    Nah, I appreciate a GOOD dessert. But I am very critical of them lol

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Cheese board "instead" of dessert??? Cheese board is the mother of all desserts!

Leave a comment:

• MrsFlushdraw
    replied
    Went to Asador one Saturday evening while visiting the family in Dublin.
    Really enjoyed it. Both of us had the tomato and pesto soup to start and then had the Supreme of Chicken on a bed of risotto. It was gorgeous.

I opted for a cheese board instead of a dessert, but the crackers were awful and the cheese not so good. Tony had a cheesecake if I remember right.

Had a lovely gin cocktail there as well.

The night would have been great if it wasn't for a group of about 7/8 woman who may have been on a hen, having two in the group almost scream instead of talk. I left with a headache. It got to the stage that I winced in pain when one woman in particular spoke.

Oh and the woman at the next table accidentally spat a mouthful of red wine all over me! had to go to the bathroom and wash up. Thankfully, I had the napkin over my dress and it appeared to be fine, but my arms and legs were covered.

Would still go back!

Leave a comment:

• dobby
    replied
    Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
    If you're ever in the west Sligo region (the little village of Easky specifically) i'd highly recommend Pudding Row for breakfast/brunch/lunch.

The wife's homemade beans on toast with egg, chorizo and avocado (i know!) was fantastic and my pulled pork on focaccia was also great.

Beautiful homemade cakes and bakes as well an an unexpected low-key post-punk/indie soundtrack of Television, Joy Division, Blondie, Smiths etc.. only added to the charm!
    Went there last year. Maybe it was you that recommended it to me also. It was indeed fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
    Id advise go straight to mains as otherwise it will drag on too long and he will be bloated and tired. Id imagine it would be quite hard on him sitting up in a restaurant for a couple hours or more after so long in hospital convalescing. Anyway you know best and hope its a great afternoon.
    100% good advice.
    It's a party of 10 as well so minimum time fluting around is for the best
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    It's a party of 10 so need to have a broad spectrum appeal.
    Moloughney's booked with zero hassles after getting the run around from yacht and baths
    Cheers folks
    Id advise go straight to mains as otherwise it will drag on too long and he will be bloated and tired. Id imagine it would be quite hard on him sitting up in a restaurant for a couple hours or more after so long in hospital convalescing. Anyway you know best and hope its a great afternoon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X