X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lao Lao
    replied
    This is up a week now and we have 7 of the 8 seats filled.

The line up is

Denny
    GAB
    Ionapaul
    Lao Lao
    Raoul
    Strewl
    V

I'll post in the BBV to see if any else wants the last seat but if more than one person shows an interest, they will be on the reserves list as the above 7 people are locked in.

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    In if there is room

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
    Would love this, but wouldn’t be the same in dry January!
    You wouldn't be the first and certainly won't the last to be sober at it! Wouldn't necessarily let that put you off.

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    Right folks, that time of the year again. The Vintage Kitchen is booked for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people.

I'm obviously going, so there is 7 spots up for grabs.

Let me know who wants in. If we get more than 7, I'll do a random draw and have reserves in place.

Plan is to meet in Mulligans from 7pm on the 24th before heading next door for cabbage butter, a feed of fine food and good wine*

I am out tonight and away from tomorrow so internet internet access may be a bit patchy over the next week but will try get back to everyone asap.

*Haven't picked out my wine yet but will do so week after next.
    Would love this, but wouldn’t be the same in dry January!

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    In

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    In like.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Likewise please

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Nice one Brian! Stick my name in the hat please.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    HHE Annual Dinner 2020

Right folks, that time of the year again. The Vintage Kitchen is booked for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people.

I'm obviously going, so there is 7 spots up for grabs.

Let me know who wants in. If we get more than 7, I'll do a random draw and have reserves in place.

Plan is to meet in Mulligans from 7pm on the 24th before heading next door for cabbage butter, a feed of fine food and good wine*

I am out tonight and away from tomorrow so internet internet access may be a bit patchy over the next week but will try get back to everyone asap.

*Haven't picked out my wine yet but will do so week after next.

Leave a comment:

• NoRiverRequired
    replied
    Been listening to the SBP Plate podcast a bit recently. Enjoying it, essentially just casual chats with restaurateurs from some of the high profile places in Ireland but interesting all the same.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
    Russian Tea Rooms for the grand historical experience

Is the Russian Tea Rooms still open? I don't know why but thought they had closed, Jesus, it must be 20 years since I eat there last

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    I'm heading to NYC for a few days. Any tips appreciated. Restaurants, Cafes, Diners, Burger Joints, Breakfast Joints, etc, etc. Suggestion and a reason why would be appreciated. TY.
    If you want to go all out, Restaurant Daniel (two stars), The River Cafe (one star) and Aureole (looks to have lost it's star this year) are all very good. Daniel has a fairly strict dress code if you do fancy it.

Definetely do the High Line.

Bryant Park is a nice spot, should have the Christmas market up if you are heading there soon, plus it's a great spot to go to play outdoor table tenis and petanque with the locals.

Angels Share is hidden cocktail bar in the East Village - Max number of people allowed in a group is 4.

Eat Korean Fried Chicken (Koreatown on 32nd St between 5th and 6th avenue)

Ride a Bike around Central park

Check out The Moth to see if they have a session on while you are there.

Shake Shack for burgers and fries

Check Madison Sqaure to see what Art Installations are on

Momofuku Ssam Bar for Asian food (Korean pork buns, Rotisserie Duck, Hot Fried Chicken, 7 spice brisket)

Check out The Whitney Museum to see what's on

Sip-Sak for Turkish grub

Check out The Vessel

Head into Chelsea Markets for a ramble - Some decent lunch/brunch spots

Leave a comment:

• thechamp87
    replied
    Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
    Forgot but a great night eating spot is TAO Uptown 42 e 58th street ( near Rockefeller Centre). Super buzz
    Ate in Tao in Chicago last week and have eaten in Tao Vegas and it’s massively overpriced for average food. If going for that kind of meal in NYC, Catch is much better.

Leave a comment:

• The Istanbul
    replied
    Forgot but a great night eating spot is TAO Uptown 42 e 58th street ( near Rockefeller Centre). Super buzz

Leave a comment:

• thechamp87
    replied
    Minetta Tavern for old school dark wood NYC feel and class 'gone back in time' atmosphere/feel. The Black Label Burger is great.

Gramercy Tavern two parts to this, the restaurant has a star but the 'tavern' room at the front is more casual and great value for top notch food from the same kitchen. Lunch rather than dinner here.

Uncle Boons down in Soho for one of the best Thai meals I've had. They have a star now but it's vv casual and fun. Vaguely recall them not taking bookings and the wait at the bar was well worth it. Don't let their cheap website put you off.

The Dutch great spot for brunch/lunch taking some time out if strolling in lower Manhattan.

Walk the Highline - must do.

Brass Monkey is good for a drink in Meatpacking.

Get lost in the Met for half a day. MoMA great too. New Whitney not worth the time imo.

Leave a comment:

• NewApproach
    replied
    For a very very casual lunch spot, go to Los Tacos No.1 in Chelsea Market. They are unbelievable.

I'd love to recommend a good steakhouse but any of the ones I've been to there have been more miss than hit...

Leave a comment:

• The Istanbul
    replied
    Russian Tea Rooms for the grand historical experience

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    New veggie/vegan restaurant on chatham street, will be checking it out this weekend! https://glasrestaurant.ie
    Was in mulligan grocer last night, great and too hipster for Raoul as usual.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-11-19, 16:00.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Was in Variety Jones last night and was very impressed.

Food was of a very good quality and can see how they got their star.

Highlights were the venison loin, cooked perfectly, melt in you mouth stuff along with the foie gras and chicken liver parfait, the smoked brisket, rye, pickles and aged chedder and the yeast mousse with dill (which is a new one of me) served with charred cauliflower.

Every course was very good, only slightly sour note was the venison faggots, they were nice but very, very, very strong tasting.

Very briefly spoke to the head chef when he brought our dessert out but he came across as a very down to earth guy who is just loving what he is doing.

2 tasting menu's, a really nice bottle of Beaujolais and two glasses of wine to wash down the dessert came to €183 plus tip of €30 to bring the total cost to €213

Thought it was very good value for what we got and was a very relaxing evening. The atmosphere/decor, etc is quite laid back and not formal as you would get in other Michelin star places but the food is just as good.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    We'll be eating lobsters with the man who caught them tomorrow night. Guaranteed three stars.

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    That's what we went for. Have it booked for the weekend before Christmas which is my birthday. Should be a good buzz up there.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Only ate in Loam, thought it was very good but not 'great' (it is hard not to have massive expectations for Michelin starred places sometimes) on reflection.

I'd spring for Aniar anyhow, much more of a buzz about it in Galway and it was a trailblazer for gastro-culture in the West of Ireland, worth starting there IMHO and trying Loam after

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    Aniar or Loam?

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Quick review. Amuse on Dawson St...nope.
    I went there about 3 years ago, went for the tasting menu and it was like they put every good idea they could think of...on every plate.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    The Rounders family WhatsApp must be A1

Leave a comment:

• pokerhand
    replied
    Pickle on Camden Street must be the best place to go for an Indian in Dublin. Fantastic grub. Only been there for lunch, love to try it for dinner sometime.

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Talking about Dawson Street the brother had glowing praise for the Ivy when he went in for a pre work Eggs Benedict.

best image hosting

''Had breakfast in The Ivy on Dawson Street. Ushered to a fab leather corner seat. Ordered Eggs Benedict and a single sausage to test the quality and coffee. The Eggs B was as near to perfection as possible. The eggs we on point not too runny and the hollandaise sauce level was perfectly minimal. The bacon they used was the shredded Bradys Ham type which added great saltiness. The place was as relaxed and geneal as they come. The staff v well trained. A gentleman over to my far right added a comment that something wasn't entirely right. It was corrected and then the shift manger arrived to apologise. A lovely morning experience.''

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Never a good sign when a place is selling vouchers. It's usually empty when I walk past it.
    Wife booked it, I never heard of it. Remarked upon how quiet it was for a Saturday night. Didn't know that were on the voucher circuit.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Crane
    replied
    Never a good sign when a place is selling vouchers. It's usually empty when I walk past it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Quick review. Amuse on Dawson St...nope.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Orangery @ Cliff At Lyons

Canteen @ Celbridge

The Hanged Mans @ Milltown

Hartes @ Kildare Town
    I've been to those highlighted.

I really enjoyed The Hanged Mans each time I've visited but Hartes wasn't quite as good when I ate there a couple of months ago.

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
    Butt Mullins @ Naas
    I've heard good things, I'd say between Butt Mullins & Canteen.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Arazi
    replied
    Butt Mullins @ Naas

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm looking for a recommendation for somewhere in Kildare this weekend.

Preferably somewhere close along the N7 but Maynooth/Lexlip or anywhere else in that area would be manageable too if needed.

The only preference would be to avoid an oriental cuisine but everything else is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Was in Campagne last night. Lovely food served with all of the warmth of an ice cube. Either they shouldn't have a Michelin star or Chapter One should have 2, because its lol that they're considered the same.
    Surprised at that, I've been in Campagne 3 or 4 times and 'twas always very friendly.

They probably overheard you talking about your private plane.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Was in Campagne last night. Lovely food served with all of the warmth of an ice cube. Either they shouldn't have a Michelin star or Chapter One should have 2, because its lol that they're considered the same.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Out for dinner twice this weekend. Don't have time for a major review but details below

Friday night we were in Delahunt for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday after having a few drinks upstairs in the Sitting Room. Food was good but without being something you would get carried away with or have you gushing about.

There was a couple of very minor issues such as a few of the grilled courgettes we got as a side were a bit raw plus the whole salted peanuts in the chocolate mouse and peanut sauce dessert A) Looked they were straight of a KP packet and B) Were just too salty for the dish. The contrast in texture was good but just too salty for a dessert.

That said, beef tartare & risotto for starters, chicken & lamb for main and both desserts (peanuts aside) were all cooked and presented well - 2nd dessert was a strawberry and almond tart with strawberry ice cream.

Overall, it's a fairly decent neighbourhood restaurant, staff are friendly, pleasant and attentive and the setting is nice, very warm & cosy feel to the place. As it's smack bang in the city centre, the prices are that bit higher than a neighbourhood restaurant. 2x3 course meals, (€45 each) 2 sides, (€5 each) a bottle of wine, (€65) and one coffee, (€2.5) was topped up with tip to €195

Saturday was meant to be just drinks but a late change of plans saw us heading out for dinner with one of Mrs Mrs Lao's friend and her fella. Dinner was redonk early to accomadate the drinks later but the blow was softened as we managed to get a table in Clanbrassil House for 5.15pm

Our two companions had never eaten there before so we opted to go for the family menu at €50 a head. (There was an option to add in Cote De Boeuf for an additional €20 a head but as two people at the table weren't big steak eaters, we stuck to the regular option)

The sheer volume of food made this very good value but when you consider the quality of the food, it was exceptional value.

We started off with some salted smoked almonds, (which is the right & only time to serve salted nuts) Iberico ham croquettes and grilled sourdough and hot smkoed trout. The croquettes were small balls and there was only one each, which was my only gripe, as I could have eaten about a doxen of them.

From there, we moved onto Killary Fjord Mussels and chicken Liver Parfait with brioche.

Then it was onto the mains - pork with a velvety creamy mash, flakey cod and sides of grilled broccoli, hash brown chips (absolutely devine) and a whole char-grilled cauliflower.

To top it off, there was a trio of dessets, choclate mouse & mint ice cream, Muscavado panna cotta with blueberries and honey and a raspberry sorbet.

There was more than enough food (something I always worry about with a "sample lots by sharing" type menu option) and everybody was extremely happy.

The food really was top absolute top quality.

4 covers at €50 a pop, 2 fizzy cocktail yokes for the ladies (€10 a pop) and two bottles of vino (Argentinian Malbec) at €58 each plus unlimited still/sparkling water at €4 total came in at €340 and was topped up to €390 with tip.

This ironically brought the per head cost to the exact same price as in Delahunt the night before and while there was nothing much wrong with Delahunt, the quality of the food in Clanbrassil made it much, much, much better value.

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Originally posted by elbows View Post
    I have heard that from a few people.

We normally eat in Kajjal in Malahide (same owners) and I can’t remember having a bad meal there
    Kajjal is great, had a particularly nice lunch there recently.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Kinara (the original one) is my local Indian. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt but I can't help feeling it has slipped a few notches.
    I’d agree, I think the Ranelagh one is much better haven eaten in both relatively recently.

Leave a comment:

• HiCloy
    replied
    I was in Kinara Clontarf last week and thought was nothing special; the courses came way too fast, starters and mains done well within an hour

+1 on Prado good/Baths bad

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Ananda still the best Indian meal I've had. Big food wankery review I put in here if I recall.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    I was here again last night. Still fantastic. The chef featured on an RTE show on Tuesday evening, Beyond The Menu, which you will find on RTE Player if interested.
    I was very impressed by her. Seems to have come from a normal non foodie background but is pure driven as to what she wants to achieve in life, think it's only a matter of time before she owns her own place.

Originally posted by elbows View Post

We normally eat in Kajjal in Malahide (same owners) and I can’t remember having a bad meal there
    I've never had anything but an exceptional meal in Kajjal, I'd easily put it ahead of the Clontarf and Ranelagh offerings.

Need to get out to Ananda, it's been on the list for way to long.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    LOL, in-laws live in Clontarf (two minutes walk from The Yacht) so we're over there every few weeks these days, similar story with Portmarnock. Like Clontarf but a shiver runs down my back every time I drive over the Samuel Beckett bridge northbound... Once we're through Fairview I begin to feel more at ease

Any idea how the renovated Baths are doing? We ate there once, probably a year ago now, and could really see how much money was put into it, looked great!
    Food is muck but seems to pack in the punters.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    What are you doing over on De Nortsoide?! Seem to remember you refuse to believe in it, from both a geographical and metaphysical perspective.

Prado is well above your average suburban joint. It deserves to do well.
    LOL, in-laws live in Clontarf (two minutes walk from The Yacht) so we're over there every few weeks these days, similar story with Portmarnock. Like Clontarf but a shiver runs down my back every time I drive over the Samuel Beckett bridge northbound... Once we're through Fairview I begin to feel more at ease

Any idea how the renovated Baths are doing? We ate there once, probably a year ago now, and could really see how much money was put into it, looked great!

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Only ate there once but was very impressed - that's a few years ago now! Went to what must be another local of yours, Prado, on Sunday for lunch; seemed like a fairly decent neighborhood restaurant.
    What are you doing over on De Nortsoide?! Seem to remember you refuse to believe in it, from both a geographical and metaphysical perspective.

Prado is well above your average suburban joint. It deserves to do well.

Leave a comment:

• NoRiverRequired
    replied
    Ananda is hard to beat IMO. Would agree that Pickle is not directly comparable but still excellent. Chakra in Greystones gets an honorable mention too, consistently very good.

Leave a comment:

• elbows
    replied
    Kinara (the original one) is my local Indian. Maybe familiarity breeds contempt but I can't help feeling it has slipped a few notches.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Only ate there once but was very impressed - that's a few years ago now! Went to what must be another local of yours, Prado, on Sunday for lunch; seemed like a fairly decent neighborhood restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
    Where would put Kinara in all of this? I personally think it beats both, having dined in Pickle a few back purely on the strength of their excellent Biryani at the ToD, and enjoyed it on the night too, but prefer Kinara Ranelagh. I would like to go back to pickle to try the goat though as I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

Also ate at Liath a few weeks ago, very high skilled cooking and generous with the wine, the only criticisms I’d have would be that there was no bread and no petit fours so I was actually quite hungry after ten rounds, as the portions are literally one spoon in size.

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Ananda and Pickle are both excellent but they are not pitching at the same market. Ananda is Indian Cuisine done exceptionally very well for the western palate. Pickle is more "traditional" Indian Cuisine for the western palate. Both excellent in their own right but comparing them is a little unfair on both.
    Where would put Kinara in all of this? I personally think it beats both, having dined in Pickle a few back purely on the strength of their excellent Biryani at the ToD, and enjoyed it on the night too, but prefer Kinara Ranelagh. I would like to go back to pickle to try the goat though as I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

Also ate at Liath a few weeks ago, very high skilled cooking and generous with the wine, the only criticisms I’d have would be that there was no bread and no petit fours so I was actually quite hungry after ten rounds, as the portions are literally one spoon in size.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    You are either snooping on me or great minds think alike...

I only booked Vintage Kitchen yesterday for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people, just haven't had a chance to post it up here yet.
    I usually think 'Culture Night, time to give auld Lao a kick up the hole'.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    By the way, I am blithely assuming that Lao Lao has the annual HHE dinner organisation well in hand...

You are either snooping on me or great minds think alike...

I only booked Vintage Kitchen yesterday for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people, just haven't had a chance to post it up here yet.

Leave a comment:

• shrapnel
    replied
    Went out to Pickle last Friday, having booked a few weeks previously (hard to get a booking these days it seems); was a very nice meal, quality Indian food, but definitely a step down from Ananda in terms of quality of both food, service and in particular ambiance. Was very busy in there and more noisy than I would prefer as a result.

Had the scallops starter, this was exceptional I thought and with three full scallops was a bigger starter than most; of course, at €15 compared to sub-€10 for most other starters you'd expect something special and/or more substantial.

Had an interesting lamb curry for my main; can't recall the name of the dish, lots of meat in a metal dish, came with a very thick dark red curry/sauce. Thick enough to eat with a fork! Also came with a new-to-me flat bread, I would almost think this was potato-based somehow, seemed midway between a flat bread and a fried potato cake Nice dish but nothing too special.

We shared a decent bottle of Reisling and chose Port for our dessert wine. Think the damage came to about €135 for the two of us. Personally I'll probably argue for Ananda again in the future, for those instances when we want a top-quality Indian.
    135 for 2 for a good indian?

i see Dublin hasn't changed!

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    By the way, I am blithely assuming that Lao Lao has the annual HHE dinner organisation well in hand...

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    I'm a huge Pickle fan but feels like I must finally try out Ananda, goddammit.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Went out to Pickle last Friday, having booked a few weeks previously (hard to get a booking these days it seems); was a very nice meal, quality Indian food, but definitely a step down from Ananda in terms of quality of both food, service and in particular ambiance. Was very busy in there and more noisy than I would prefer as a result.

Had the scallops starter, this was exceptional I thought and with three full scallops was a bigger starter than most; of course, at €15 compared to sub-€10 for most other starters you'd expect something special and/or more substantial.

Had an interesting lamb curry for my main; can't recall the name of the dish, lots of meat in a metal dish, came with a very thick dark red curry/sauce. Thick enough to eat with a fork! Also came with a new-to-me flat bread, I would almost think this was potato-based somehow, seemed midway between a flat bread and a fried potato cake Nice dish but nothing too special.

We shared a decent bottle of Reisling and chose Port for our dessert wine. Think the damage came to about €135 for the two of us. Personally I'll probably argue for Ananda again in the future, for those instances when we want a top-quality Indian.

Leave a comment:

• Goodluck2me
    replied
    Took the train up to Belfast on Saturday to try out Ox restaurant.

Went with the 6 course tasing menu lunch with wines, they have two options and we went for the standard over the “prestige” as the waiter told us the standard was better matched, the prestige was brought in for the open to have some recognizability.

Opened with a customary glass of champagne, and lovely fresh sour dough bread served warm. First course was best described as a cheese profiterole, delicious. A tomato salad created by making a gelatins-like substance from tomato consommé was a fresh follow up. Next was scallops served in lobster bisque, wasn’t bad although the scallop was a little tough. Monkfish in a pea veloute followed and was tasty, if unremarkable. It was rounded off with a creme anglais/ ice cream mix which shouldn’t have been as nice as it was, very tasty. Petit fours etc.

Some interesting wines came from Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic.

Overall I’d say it’s nice for lunch, we certainly envied the A La Carte diners as the lamb in particular looked amazing. 7/10, not worth a trip on its own but pretty pleasant day out if you’re there anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Some news on Manifesto

SPOILER

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    Manifesto would be a serious step down from Mrs Lao Lao's previous birthday excursions imo
    It's grand, we're married now, I no longer need to impress her

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Manifesto would be a serious step down from Mrs Lao Lao's previous birthday excursions imo

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Cheers lads.

Yeah, living in Ranelagh and was only in host a few months ago. Not that it's not worth a return visit straight away but thinking of something new.

Manifesto looks like a right little gem, that has definitely gone on the list.

I like the look of Frank's and the reviews for the food that I've seen are all good but the only off putting thing about it is that you can't book and you can't rock up, leave your name on a waiting list, grab a drink and get a call when the table is free as they don't have a phone apparently!

Had a complete brain fart and forgot all about Delahunt and haven't eaten there yet (only had drinks upstairs) so have booked there.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• thechamp87
    replied
    Shame Etto and Uno Mas are booked.
    +1 for Host but think you live in Ranelagh.
    Delahunt?
    Or their new place, Franks?
    Pickle?
    Michael's or Little Mike's in Mount Merrion? amazing seafood.

Leave a comment:

• eoghan104
    replied
    Manifesto in Rathmines is a hidden gem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X