Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somehow missed this the last time around! I haven't met any of you before I don't think (with the exception of New Approach), but I'd be interested in joining if there was a free spot?
    The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
      Somehow missed this the last time around! I haven't met any of you before I don't think (with the exception of New Approach), but I'd be interested in joining if there was a free spot?
      consider yourself in
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Dropped into Thorntons for early dinner. Terrible value. Main the size of a starter. Think someone from here was on about going soon. Would give it a swerve if possible.

Comment

Just leaving now. 2 other customers here. Losing a star hurts.

Comment

Gf was raging when she took me there for birthday treat a few years ago. Coffee was beyond shockingly poor, i was still buzzing with happiness about the sweetbreads and truffle powder coke spoon. She was giving out about the fact it was the last impression of a place, and how if they can fuck up something so simple it doesnt bode well for how things are ran.
            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

That truffle powder coke spoon is the best thing I've experienced probably ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                That truffle powder coke spoon is the best thing I've experienced probably ever.
                That was class but it's a long time ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                  Dropped into Thorntons for early dinner. Terrible value. Main the size of a starter. Think someone from here was on about going soon. Would give it a swerve if possible.
                  That was me. Didn't book it. Still trying to ponder anniversaryamemts surprise dinner. Have rang Chapter 1 about a dozen times and left a voice mail but no call back. Can only assume they are closed this week

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                    That was me. Didn't book it. Still trying to ponder anniversaryamemts surprise dinner. Have rang Chapter 1 about a dozen times and left a voice mail but no call back. Can only assume they are closed this week
                    They are indeed. Would try the greenhouse despite GABs protestations.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                      Gf was raging when she took me there for birthday treat a few years ago. Coffee was beyond shockingly poor, i was still buzzing with happiness about the sweetbreads and truffle powder coke spoon. She was giving out about the fact it was the last impression of a place, and how if they can fuck up something so simple it doesnt bode well for how things are ran.
                      Colleague of my wife's used to work in the hotel and apparently KT asked for a bit of accounting help from them one time and she was sent up. He gave her one of those office storage boxes full of crumpled invoices and said 'I'm not sure which ones are paid'.

Comment

Can't really justify cooking for just myself so eat out every day and inevitably it's just myself a couple of a days a week. Anyone have suggestions for places that in town that take walk-ins and you don't feel like a weirdo for dining solo? Somewhere like The Bank is an ideal spot, it's just a pity that the menu isn't a bit better.
                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 12-01-16, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Can't really justify cooking for just myself so eat out every day and inevitably it's just myself a couple of a days a week. Anyone have suggestions for places that in town that take walk-ins and you don't feel like a weirdo for dining solo? Somewhere like The Bank is an ideal spot, it's just a pity that the menu isn't a bit better.
                          Anywhere as long as you're accompanied by a clip-board, a ridiculous bow-tie and and an inquisitive eye. Ask random questions from server and mark on clip-board for hilarity

Comment

brother hubbards is nice and there were a few weirdos, sorry single lads, there the night I was there Capel St.

Comment

Brother hubbards is a bit of a joke, they have some poncy girl trying to seat people in a small square room with like 5 seats.

Comment

McDonalds, Burger King

Comment

Mondays and Tuesdays should be very rewarding with a small bit of googling for valoooooooooooooo

Comment

Have eaten in Bear a couple of times solo, pretty suitable given it's a lot of communal tables.
                                    The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      Mondays and Tuesdays should be very rewarding with a small bit of googling for valoooooooooooooo
                                      Yeah there's value alright, and in many places you're mixing with service industry types who are obviously >>>> average Joe.

Comment

Any recommendations for the best authentic Italian in town? Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                          Imo it used to be Il Primo on Montague Lane until it closed.
                                          Il Vicoletto off Dame Street is very good.
                                          Vaguely recall being told Rottinculo on Clanbrassil Street is good.

Comment

Not quite town but Pinocchio in Ranelagh would have to be on any list.

Comment

Was thinking about this last night - for a coty the size of Dublin there are very few authentic Italians. Mick Wallace's two places used to be good down by the Millenium Bridge on the north quays.

Comment

Was thinking about this last night - for a coty the size of Dublin there are very few authentic Italians. Mick Wallace's two places used to be good down by the Millenium Bridge on the north quays.
                                                there is one just down from Vincents Hospital, on road to Blackrock which is decent.

Place in Bray is one of the best around, even though its not 'in town'

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just a favorite of mine due to closeness to where I live but not going to win a popular vote. Mama Mia's on Grattan street is an authentic little Italian ran by Italians and churning out cheap and delicious food - like Italian restaurants in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                      Not quite town but Pinocchio in Ranelagh would have to be on any list.
                                                      Nice one, one of the few places I haven't tried (for some unknown reason), must give it a spin soon.

Comment

Thanks for the Italian recommendations, a friend whose father is Italian raves about Pinocchio so think I'll give that a spin first.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                          Just a favorite of mine due to closeness to where I live but not going to win a popular vote. Mama Mia's on Grattan street is an authentic little Italian ran by Italians and churning out cheap and delicious food - like Italian restaurants in Italy.
                                                          Cosy!

Comment

Il Bacarro
                                                            Meeting house Square, Temple Bar, Dublin 2
                                                            Price: €€€

There is always a sense of gambling heaven when your in the Dame tavern. On this particular Saturday morning we tried Peadar Kearneys on Dame street as i received Intel that it was a racing pub. When we entered ATR was on all right but it was muted as brothers in arms played out. The bar tender was like a slimline Brian Dennehy and his countenance was initially affable but with an underlying tone of don't try to take over here lads im the captain. This was received loud and clear by us and a tentative understanding followed that he would traverse to RUK and ATR with volume when required which didnt run seamlessly well but a good u=enough effort that we didnt feel he was sticking it to us.

There was no other meaningful punters in the joint but the bartender was mindful not to alienate normies who might pop their heads in so he the music on between racing with ATR and RUK muted which i didnt like but understood. It was a reasonable alternative but it was never going to be a staple and the Dame was calling so we said our goodbyes and moved over the road to the dame into the familiar racing environs.
                                                            The Dame has no pretence at all. They dont do food they dont even do bar snacks but they roll out the racing and anybody who doesn't like it can put it in their pipe and smoke it. It helps the the proprietors like a punt and are effectively punters themselves.

The pints flowed with the ebb and flow of the racing and curmudgeons all round and all was good. I went to the nearby boylesports shop and was checking up a price at the screen when a down on his luck 25 year old with a likely substance abuse problem engaged me with the tone of voice that indicated his words was the main energy he had left in his body ''Sorry bud....could you tell me how do you spell Rooney?''.
                                                            I said yeah no problem R O O N when he interjected ...''Could you write it down for me?''. No problem i said ''first scorer yeah''?. Yeah. How much do you want on it?. €1.50 . He was grateful for the help and proceeded to the counter with his bag and baggage and i overheard him saying to the clerk ''So if Rooney scores first how much do i win?''.

Later with the racing done town seemed bleak enough place and we stumbled onto Ill Baccario. They had no idea we were previously voicing our opinions on poor horses and jockeys and in the general tumult of wading through the usual detritus that comes with drinking in the Dame tavern thats akin to a slaughterhouse employee without the tell tale signs of actual blood. Removed from this passion we were now presenting ourselves to a completely different and and much loved passion. Food.
                                                            After the slaughter you go through punting racing all afternoon you are nearly expecting walking into a reputable eating establishment to be stopped for some reason. But you need keep thinking that these reasonable people dont know what youve been up to for the previous fer hours so you do your best to walk in like you mean it and hope the residue of the gambling cordite doesn't leave a residue for staff to be alerted.

As soon as we entered we were seated and greeted as any normal paying punter would be. The gambler veil had drifted into the night. As we were seated a couple were on their way out when a guy was overheard saing to his girl ''Ive got an awful load of work ahead of me tomorrow to which my brother and i smiled ruefully knowing that this guy was trying to make good his free Sunday ahead of him. Like what would you have to do of a Sunday work wise. I didnt hear his moll reply with a sympathetic tone so i hope she harbours fears of our notions. I mean what class of chap says to his girl walking out of a restaurant of a Saturday night how busy he will be tomorrow especially if that's what he really means. Amateur night that and as our hostess approached i told her about that whole scenario i just heard but i detected she was too open minded to fall hook line and sinker to row in with my observations. I think she was displaying a neutral stance to stay professional which you can't fault someone for. For starters we got the bruschette with fresh tomato, basil and extra virgin olive oil, Peppers and sweet gorgonzola cheese,Fresh garlic and extra virgin olive oil which hit the spot in no uncertain terms.
                                                            The staff by now were probably losing flips to come over to us for any reason.

Choose a wine for the combined price of the mains which i cant rember but for mains i chose Grilled Prime Irish rib-eye 10oz with a mixed herb marinade served with baby roast potatoes. As a bit of a nonsense there was a €3 charge of pepper sauce!. Otherwise you're getting it dry so decided to go with the stick up pepper sauce but will concede it was top class with real pepper balls which sold it and disarmed any subsequent appraisals. It momentarily took the pep from my step but looking at the cavernous old brick walls lessons any quibbles. You just get the hell on with it and rub away any petty obstacles as not to take away from your overall enjoyment.
                                                            An overall good experience of food and ambiance in a cavernous setting,

Comment

So the guest list now looks like:

GAB
                                                              Lao Lao
                                                              Hectorjelly
                                                              New Approach
                                                              Denny
                                                              ionapaul
                                                              Myself
                                                              Mickey Rosa
                                                              Can't send PMs for some reason. Table is confirmed for 8.30 - see y'all in Mulligans tomorrow from about 7.45

Comment

His one in inchicore is great, the pizza is the best ive had in Dublin. Been there liads. Must try these others.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                    It's going grand
                                                                    I hope Denny is wearing his shinest shoes in my absence!!
                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                      I hope Denny is wearing his shinest shoes in my absence!!
                                                                      He really is.

Morally improper bets struck with Hectorjelly ftw.

Comment

IPB nights out always seem to work out more expensive than I expect for some reason.

Comment

IPB nights out always seem to work out more expensive than I expect for some reason.
                                                                          So expensive, it would lead you to a life of crime!

Comment

The money was just resting in my stack.

Comment

great grub and company last night - prawn and chili risotto was a winner but there was nothing wrong with the lamb shank either. ty to RDIII for organising.
                                                                              my pleasure

dropped a mail to Sean, the highly ebullient proprietor, to thank him. I think the quality has gone up a notch since we were there last.

Comment

It really was excellent, even with the mad butter, I put in a booking on the way out for the next available spot on the strength of it. Thanks for organising it!

Comment

It really was excellent, even with the mad butter, I put in a booking on the way out for the next available spot on the strength of it. Thanks for organising it!
                                                                                  that butter is deranged but they have been doing it ever since they opened....why, I have no idea.

Comment

Gutted to miss this, but fully expect V4V to now put his full attention to booking the first annual bi-annual IPB Maltese excursion

What could possibly go wrong?
                                                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Great fun last night, I'll add my thanks to RDIII for organising. Managed to last the night this time, which is a plus.

Comment

Brilliant night, great to meet a few faces from here. Food was excellent and I'm glad my annual charity contribution to the SE is taken care of so early this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                          Gutted to miss this, but fully expect V4V to now put his full attention to booking the first annual bi-annual IPB Maltese excursion

You'll be waiting Iago unfortunately. Similarily gutted myself but between London trips, Daddy day care and everything else I'm just grateful if I can see the inside of the gym a few times a week and get sleep!
                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                            I may be interested in attending.

Comment

Restaurant Name: L'Ecrivain

Location: 109a Lower Baggot Street

Website: http://lecrivain.com/

Price Range: €€€€

Review:

Myself and Mrs Lao Lao's second anniversary and similar to the first one, it was to be a surprise outing for her. You may stop and wonder how you can surprise somebody on the same thing on the same date two years in a row but I am a crafty little shit when I want to be.

This years ruse was friends of mine coming over from England for the weekend. It was all set up, others mates were involved to validate the story, I was going to collect them from the airport, drop them to their hotel and then we were all going for a few drinks and a bite to eat. Herself was to follow us into Neary's, but when she arrived it was just me and a G&T waiting for her.

We had a couple of drinks in Neary's while she called me a dickhead repeatedly (it's apparently a term of endearment). She hated (probably too strong a word) that she was fooled again but delighted she was going somewhere nice, where she still didn't know. We headed towards L'Ecrivian on foot and I brought her on a merry dance stopping at every restaurant along the way pretending we had arrived. I even held the door in Peploe's, let her walk in and then closed it behind her and walked off.

I'll admit that L'Ecrivian wasn't my first choice. It had got rave reviews around late 2013/early 2014 but some more recent reports weren't great. There was two things that made me decide on it. Chapter 1 and Greenhouse were booked out. Plus a while back I saw Derry and his wife on TV talking about the death of their son and how things were back to normal in the restaurant. I took it that things may have gone off the boil during such a turbulent time which is completely understandable.

We arrived at 9:30 on the dot and were offered a drink at the bar or we could go straight to our table which was ready. We had already had three drinks in Neary's so opted for the table

First up was some freshly made bread, a white, brown and a focaccia - All were still warm and delicious. They were scoffed down. Sallyane (Derry's wife) came over and went through some details of the menu. Although service was very good and prompt through out dinner, it came across very much as a family restaurant in the sense that it was nice, relaxed and pleasant, not up their own arse.

Onto the food, first up was a butternut squash amuse bouche which was quite tasty, might have been a little salty for everybody's taste but I really enjoyed it.

For starter, I went for the Foie Gras while she went for the scallops. I had a morsel of the scallops and they were very good. The Foie Gras was divine, velvety and lush, the plate left the table completely empty

Next up was a pallet cleanser in the form of a kale sorbet and black pepper foam which was quite good

For mains, I opted for the Hake while herself went for the Deer and we had some mashed spuds with them. Again, I could find no fault here, the fish was fantastic and potatoes were amazing and the little bit of deer that I had was cooked perfectly

Onto deserts, where I had a cheese selection which I washed down with a glass of Riesling, (Spatlese Veldenzer Elisenberg, Mosel 2009) while she had a pear / ice-cream thing - Again, I couldn't find fault here

We also had a bottle of Pouilly Fumé de Ladoucette during dinner which is my favourite white wine (possibly favourite full stop) which at €68 was a tad on the high side but worth it

The bill came with a service charge already on it and was €275

There was two very minor things that ever so slightly irked me at the end of the night. We had to ask for the bill twice and when we left and went downstairs there was nobody there to give us our coats so we had to wait another few minutes for somebody to come down. I know these probably seem quite pedantic but think those minor details close out a night really well

I couldn't fault the food from start to finish and would happily go back

9/10

From there, we strolled down the canal and had a night cap in O'Briens while secretly I was already starting to think of trickery for next year
                                                                                              Last edited by Lao Lao; 27-01-16, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                Restaurant Name: L'Ecrivain

Location: 109a Lower Baggot Street

Website: http://lecrivain.com/

Price Range: €€€€

Review:

Myself and Mrs Lao Lao's second anniversary and similar to the first one, it was to be a surprise outing for her. You may stop and wonder how you can surprise somebody on the same thing on the same date two years in a row but I am a crafty little shit when I want to be.

This years ruse was friends of mine coming over from England for the weekend. It was all set up, others mates were involved to validate the story, I was going to collect them from the airport, drop them to their hotel and then we were all going for a few drinks and a bite to eat. Herself was to follow us into Neary's, but when she arrived it was just me and a G&T waiting for her.

We had a couple of drinks in Neary's while she called me a dickhead repeatedly (it's apparently a term of endearment). She hated (probably too strong a word) that she was fooled again but delighted she was going somewhere nice, where she still didn't know. We headed towards L'Ecrivian on foot and I brought her on a merry dance stopping at every restaurant along the way pretending we had arrived. I even held the door in Peploe's, let her walk in and then closed it behind her and walked off.

I'll admit that L'Ecrivian wasn't my first choice. It had got rave reviews around late 2013/early 2014 but some more recent reports weren't great. There was two things that made me decide on it. Chapter 1 and Greenhouse were booked out. Plus a while back I saw Derry and his wife on TV talking about the death of their son and how things were back to normal in the restaurant. I took it that things may have gone off the boil during such a turbulent time which is completely understandable.

We arrived at 9:30 on the dot and were offered a drink at the bar or we could go straight to our table which was ready. We had already had three drinks in Neary's so opted for the table

First up was some freshly made bread, a white, brown and a focaccia - All were still warm and delicious. They were scoffed down. Sallyane (Derry's wife) came over and went through some details of the menu. Although service was very good and prompt through out dinner, it came across very much as a family restaurant in the sense that it was nice, relaxed and pleasant, not up their own arse.

Onto the food, first up was a butternut squash amuse bouche which was quite tasty, might have been a little salty for everybody's taste but I really enjoyed it.

For starter, I went for the Foie Gras while she went for the scallops. I had a morsel of the scallops and they were very good. The Foie Gras was divine, velvety and lush, the plate left the table completely empty

Next up was a pallet cleanser in the form of a kale sorbet and black pepper foam which was quite good

For mains, I opted for the Hake while herself went for the Deer and we had some mashed spuds with them. Again, I could find no fault here, the fish was fantastic and potatoes were amazing and the little bit of deer that I had was cooked perfectly

Onto deserts, where I had a cheese selection which I washed down with a glass of Riesling, (Spatlese Veldenzer Elisenberg, Mosel 2009) while she had a pear / ice-cream thing - Again, I couldn't find fault here

We also had a bottle of Pouilly Fumé de Ladoucette during dinner which is my favourite white wine (possibly favourite full stop) which at €68 was a tad on the high side but worth it

The bill came with a service charge already on it and was €275

There was two very minor things that ever so slightly irked me at the end of the night. We had to ask for the bill twice and when we left and went downstairs there was nobody there to give us our coats so we had to wait another few minutes for somebody to come down. I know these probably seem quite pedantic but think those minor details close out a night really well

I couldn't fault the food from start to finish and would happily go back

9/10

From there, we strolled down the canal and had a night cap in O'Briens while secretly I was already starting to think of trickery for next year
                                                                                                Thanks for that. Reminded me that I forgot to book chapter 1 for our anniversary. 1st available Saturday is May. Got The Greenhouse though and she has never been.
                                                                                                Last edited by elbows; 27-01-16, 15:54.
                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Some horrendous stuff happened at lunch in Tapa Tapa this year at ICE.
                                                                                                  Debating whether just to write it off as many subscribers to this thread will remain unaffected but then again there are many potential diners who may find a scathing review informative..

Comment

It's a kip that feasts on those in need of food when at a convention at ExCel. Why did you ever believe it might be something different?
                                                                                                    GWan and prompt me me to make a racist remark

Comment

Things are heating up. Rang restaurant to complain. Left details but no response.
                                                                                                      Stuck a review on TA. Owner sent me a PM but when I logged in it had disappeared.

Contacted support who told me it was deleted as it was abusive...Move?

Comment

Back to Chameleon tonight, really love it. Only problem was waiting 10 mins standing to be seated, and they took my favourite thing off the rijst and replaced it with some shite tofu steam bun thing, leaving the satay tempura in the tapas menu only.

They gave use a free drink when leaving, they didn't always do that? Nice touch.
                                                                                                        I was wondering why everybody in the place seemed to be getting Baby Guinness' before leaving.

Comment

Was in l'Ecrivain on Tuesday night for a three course dinner. Got a few quid off it as thetaste.ie have a deal going.

It was my first time there. I thought the room itself (upstairs) was really lovely, the lighting in there is great. All added to by the dulcet tones of Mike Murphy who was negotiating a cheaper rate with Sallyann for the next time he goes there for half the night. He got her down to €50 a head in the end after some deft manoeuvring, he didn't notice my shoulders shaking as I tried to stay quiet during a GLOLM rather than give the game away that €50 is the price they're giving away to everyone on the internet.

Anyway, had some bread to start, of which I can't decide whether the brown soda or the sourdough was star of the show. They were good anyway.

We got a bottle of Australian Shiraz off the so-called 'sommelier's selection' which cost around €50 quid and I didn't think a whole heap of to be honest.

There was an amouse bouche that was smoked salmon with aioli and some pickled radish. Nothing to write home about really.

For starters, herself hornswaggled me by picking the suckling pork belly so I had to bitterly change tack and get the squab pigeon instead.

It's only my second time having pigeon, the first being a great night in Thorton's with zuutroy, roadsweeper, cardshark and bakedbeans. On that occasion I wasn't hugely impressed with it. I suppose it might be because we were after five or six courses at that stage, but also the fact that they smoked the shit out of it right at the table. The theatre of that was marvellous but tbh all I could taste from the bird was smoke on that occasion.

This time around the meat was left to speak for itself a little more and it was lovely and rich with a meat sauce, along with a beetroot puree and some carmelised nuts. They served it with the claw - nails or talons or whatever you call them and all - sitting on top. I thought it was hilarious but Niamh was fairly put off by it, which I could understand. It was a questionable decision, although the bit of meat that I was able to get off it without resorting to picking the fucker up and sucking it was tasty.

Had a little taste of the pork belly and it was delicious. Next time.

We got a little pallet cleanser after that which was a kale sorbet with some sort of foam topping that I don't quite remember, but it was nice and refreshing, did the job.

For main I stuck with the poultry vibe with a piece of guinea fowl. This came with parsnip and shallots in various states of preparedness, along with some smokey bacon. It was very, very good.

Niamh went for the Sika deer which was very beautifully presented, although I can't remember what it was served with. The fact that I'm not sure whether I nipped her for a taste of it means either I didn't, or that it was unremarkable. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Dessert for her was the cheeseboard. I don't remember exactly what the cheeses were but there were four varying from not particularly strong to extremely strong. The last few years I've been building up a resistance to strong cheeses after nearly getting thrown out of Thorton's for telling them their seventh course tasted like a foot, and happily have progressed to the extent that I thought this selection was marvellous. It was served with these little chutney wafers and mini-baguettes which were great too.

I went for a dessert version of an Irish coffee (obv) which ended up being a dark chocolate tube with some mousse, vanilla ice cream and a whiskey foam inside it. I'm not much for desserts but it was a lovely looking plate and tasted good.

After that it was petit fours and some tea, with a little mini-eclair which tasted like a kinder bueno the star attraction.

All in all it was a good meal, probably lacking a bit of wow factor to make it particularly memorable. The whole thing ended up costing ~€200 in the end after wine, water, tip and all that jazz which is reasonable enough value and a nice way to idle away a Tuesday evening.

Comment

What's Rio like these days? A bit disconcerting that their website has fallen apart.

Comment

What's Rio like these days? A bit disconcerting that their website has fallen apart.
                                                                                                              Saw a few snapchats from a friend at the weekend raving about it so I assume it's as good as always.

Comment

I was there a couple of times in the run up to xmas. I think some of the meat is really terrific, and the value is very good but agreed with several people who said they would go there with a large group but elsewhere otherwise.

Still seems alive and kicking from passing by anyway.

Comment

If you want to soak up beer with a few lads then it is just the job. If you want to take your GF out for a romantic meal then not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                    If you want to soak up beer with a few lads then it is just the job. If you want to take your GF out for a romantic meal then not so much.
                                                                                                                    Ha jaysus I couldn't imagine going there as a couple, perfect for groups though.

Comment

Anyone been to Avenue By Nick Munier? Cant seem to find any reviews in here.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Monto Café.

Location: 9 Camden Street, near the canal bridge.

Website: https://www.opentable.ie/restaurant/profile/121632

Price Range: (from 1 to 5 €€€€€) €€.

Review:
                                                                                                                        We'd quite a good mix for our Holy Thursday booking, with a group of 10 containing a Cypriot, South African, Indian, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Spaniard and a few token Irish.
                                                                                                                        We went for a simple 2 courses for €20 menu (€5 supplement for strip/ribeye steaks) which contained 5 standard starters and 10 mains.

Simple fare with nothing spectacular on the menu but everyone was happy and not a bit of food was left on a plate. I tend not to notice too much what everyone else is having but I myself went with a starter of chicken goujons and honeymustard sauce which were a far larger portion than I expected, and a main of striploin (asked for medium and they nailed it perfectly)with mushrooms, onions, chips and pepper sauce. A negative for not putting the sauce on the side as a few of us steak orderers had requested but at least it wasn't too overpowering a sauce. Chips were delivered separately in cereal sized bowls and whilst everyone elses was filled to the top and beyond mine was barely 80% full which was quite annoying especially as I'd be more appreciative than most of the virtue of a fried potato.
                                                                                                                        Feedback from everyone seemed good, with the people who ordered lamb cutlets, salmon and pizza all being happy. Cypriot commented on the general blandness of food in Ireland but fuck him.

Restaurant has no alcohol license but is very vocal in its Bring Your Own Wine policy, no corkage charge and very decent glasses. Place was fairly packed with near 40 people there around 7pm (room fits maybe 60).
                                                                                                                        10 starters and 10 mains came to €225.

Will definitely go back.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 25-03-16, 22:51.

Comment

Gave Dax a second chance tonight. Average at best again. Not sure why people rave about it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X