HectorJelly Blog Updates: Winamax 6 max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HectorJelly Blog Updates: Winamax 6 max

I played the 6 max tournament held in the D4 last week. I played day 1a, which was Thursday. The day didn't begin that well, I had trouble getting to sleep, and when I dragged myself out of bed I didn't feel like playing poker. Also, I had planned on getting a breakfast from Juniors, which is a great restaurant just beside me, but all they were serving was lunch, so I had some mediocre soup.

When I found my table seat, I was annoyed that directly to my left was Rory Brown, Downtown from boards. I've played with him a few times, and the last thing I wanted was an aggressive good player with direct position on me. As it happened it didn't make much difference, for the time we were at the table together we didn't play any big pots.

The rest of the table were French. A few hours in to the tournament, and I would guess that their VPIP's would be all over 50%, with one guy in particular with a VPIP of close to 100%. This trend continued all day. This type of player is generally very easy to beat, with one caveat - you need to have a hand. They are continually showdown bound, happy to call multiple bets with weak or non-existant hands. I play with these players every day, but I had never actually anyone play like that in real life.

One problem that this type of player creates, is that they are very aggressive, but there is no method to their madness. On the river you really need to concentrate on your own hand strength and call according to pot odds. Their hand will never make sense. The best example of this was played between Rory and a French guy on my direct right.

The French guys raises, and Rory 3bets. Everyone folds and the French guy calls. The flop is Queen high, all diamonds. Frenchy checks, Rory bets, Frenchy calls.

The turn is an offsuit jack. Frenchy checks, Rory bets, Frenchy calls.

The river is an offsuit ten. French now bets 5k (massive bet for this stage of the tournament, I think the BB was 50). Rory thinks, then shoves for a little more.

The French guy should really have a bluff here - probably a high diamond. He could also have slowplayed a monster (like a flush) or somehow backdoored two pair or something. What does he turn over? Q9o - which really makes no sense at all. Is he bluffing? Is he value betting? It's very hard to read someone who has no idea what they are doing. In any case, Rory had backdoored a straight.

What they do do well though, is to make it hard to win a pot without a hand. I played for about 8 hours, and I only remember two c-bets getting a player to fold in all that time. Nearly all the hands I played I was forced into a weird decision on the river because I had a very weak hand, but my opponents range was so big I had a decision to make.

One that went right: Late on I raise on the cutoff with Ax. (Can't remember the other card). The flop is J9x. I bet and he calls. I probably shouldn't bet here against this particular guy, but normally I would. Anyway, the turn is a 9, and I check. He bets and I call. The river is an 8 which is a really really bad card, it completes all sorts of draws, makes pairs out of some draws and gives some hands two pair. I check and he bets again. He didn't seem that comfortable, and I figured I couldn't really fold since he is betting all his air. I called and he mucked. I still have no idea what he had.

One that went wrong: Early on I raise with K9, an utg limper calls me. The flop is T78 with a heart draw. Check Check. Turn is an offsuit 2. He checks and I bet. I'm actually betting here for value, and protection. He calls. The river is a 5. He checks and I bet quite big, naievly hoping he might fold some small pairs. He checks raises. I think for a long time and call, putting him on a 9 or flush draw, and I have the 2nd nut K. He tables 9Jo for flopped gin. That hand never even entered my consciousness!

So the day went on and on, I managed to keep afloat by occasionally stealing a few blinds. I then got lucky in a multiway pot where I turned the nuts. An older Irish guy called my turn raise, then reluctantly folded the river after much thought. I would of bet a lot of money he had one pair at best, in a situation where my range is the nuts, and possibly the 2nd nuts.

This hand counted against me though, a few hours later I played a similar pot, but unfortunately this time I was bluffing. Had I remembered this previous hand at the time I never would of attempted the bluff, but after 8 hours of playing live poker my memory somewhat deserted me.

That hand crippled me, and I busted soon after with k8 on a 866 board against 65. I raised with about 12 blinds in late position, and got check raised by a young maniac who kept trying to speech play me in French - i figured his range contained both 8's and 6's, as well as draws and random bluffs. I had hoped he was unlikely to call my shortstack raise with two many hands containing a 5, but unfortunately not. So that was it.

The tournament was great fun though, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, it was like being in France for a day. Had I got any sort of decent cards I feel like I could of gotten very deep. I got kings twice early on, but that was pretty much it. I gave an awful beat to a player mid way that I should mention though, we got it in pre TT vs TT. I rivered a flush!

More...
Working...
X