Boyle Poker Player Blog: Cracking the Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyle Poker Player Blog: Cracking the Code

It's been a quiet few weeks on the poker front. I have just been grinding online MTT's and have been on a few k down-swing. Nothing major wrong, just a few leaks creeping back into my game and maybe playing a bit too high for my bankroll. I've had it planned for a few months now that come March/April that I would have to cut back the hours and volume I have been putting in. I am in the final semester of my post grad now so have exams and dissertations to concentrate on. It's always hard taking a break from poker when down swinging. Going to try and watch a lot of training videos over the next few weeks on breaks from study etc. Tough couple of months ahead but it will be all worth it...I hope.My only live venture of the last few weeks was a trip to the Student Poker masters. I've played this tournament every year for the last 5 years. The first year, it was held in the RDS and I managed to satellite into it for €5 in a college game. It was the biggest game I had played at the time and felt like I was walking into the Rio to play the Main Event. Things have moved on for me since but I think it's a great tournament on the calendar. The standard of play was higher than I expected. I didn't last too long but enjoyed the game. One thing I noticed was the language that the players were using. Even though it was the biggest buy in for most of my starting table and the experience was minimal I was hearing things like; "thought I could only get a couple streets of value of you", "I'm crushing your range pre", "I was getting the right price and can bluff lots of dangerous rivers", "was trying to float you on the turn". 5 years ago I certainly wasn't hearing those things said at a poker table full of students. The game is definitely getting tougher and tougher.Plan is to play some of the Norwegian Poker Festival next week and then the big one is in town. I've only played the Irish Open once and that was a good few years ago. I'm going to give myself a good chance at playing this year and would love a run in it more than anything. Poker is a game of combinations and probability so let's hope I can crack the combination to this lock. Someone will so why not me.

More...
Working...
X