Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs

Old 03-01-11, 22:51   #1
Lao Lao

The Lose 2 Stone in 8 weeks Thread

Right, going to give one of these personal logs a go.

Last year, I started to train for the triathlon 3 times (should give you an indication of how successful I was )

I can make excuses about how work was so hectic and how I had so much other stuff going on but essentially, I just wasn't motivated enough.

For the last 3-4 months, I have done pretty much no exercise and combined with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and food over the last two months, I've managed to put a few pounds on. I'm not exactly fat but for my height, I am technically over weight.

The plan is to have two logs, this one running from now until the end of February to lose about 2 stone and get back to a reasonable level of fitness and then a separate log for the triathlon training (March-May/June time)

While I understand diet is important and I am going to be watching what I eat, I am not going to be too anal about it. I normally have a decent enough diet and I am a firm believer in having a well rounded/balanced diet and don't believe in cutting any one food group out.

In saying that, I am going to pretty much eliminate crisps / biscuits and chocolate. Also, apart from this weekend (my birthday) and the first weekend in February (a mates b-day in the UK) I am going to look to seriously reduce my alcohol intake (easier said than done )

Right then, enough waffle, today was the first day. All comments / support welcome!

Starting Stats
--------------
Height : 5'10"
Weight : 14 stone on the nose
Chest : 41.5 inches
Stomach : 38 inches

Both stomach and chest were measured at their widest point

Breakfast
----------
Glass of Apple Juice
Bowl of Whole Grain Nestle Shredded Wheat
Avonmore Low Fat Super Milk (to go with the cereal)

Snack
------
Handful of Grapes
Pear

Lunch
------
3 round wholemeal pitta
Hummus
Cheddar Cheese

Work Out
---------
1.5km run - on treadmill at setting 9.5
350m on rowing machine at setting 5
1km cycle on level 5

Post Work Out
--------------
Sports Drink
Banana

Dinner
------
Breast of Chicken in Pesto
Wholemeal Pasta

Last edited by Lao Lao; 03-01-11 at 22:53.
Lao Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 22:57   #2
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!

Best of luck dude
Old 03-01-11, 22:59   #3
Jackyback
Ironman

Best of luck with this Brian.
Jackyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 00:10   #4
Charlie Harper

ur goin to find it really hard to loose 2 stone in 8weeks with that workout, too much cardio
gudluck anyway
Charlie Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 00:15   #5
Sickpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Lao View Post
Right, going to give one of these personal logs a go.

Last year, I started to train for the triathlon 3 times (should give you an indication of how successful I was )

I can make excuses about how work was so hectic and how I had so much other stuff going on but essentially, I just wasn't motivated enough.

For the last 3-4 months, I have done pretty much no exercise and combined with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and food over the last two months, I've managed to put a few pounds on. I'm not exactly fat but for my height, I am technically over weight.

The plan is to have two logs, this one running from now until the end of February to lose about 2 stone and get back to a reasonable level of fitness and then a separate log for the triathlon training (March-May/June time)

While I understand diet is important and I am going to be watching what I eat, I am not going to be too anal about it. I normally have a decent enough diet and I am a firm believer in having a well rounded/balanced diet and don't believe in cutting any one food group out.

In saying that, I am going to pretty much eliminate crisps / biscuits and chocolate. Also, apart from this weekend (my birthday) and the first weekend in February (a mates b-day in the UK) I am going to look to seriously reduce my alcohol intake (easier said than done )

Right then, enough waffle, today was the first day. All comments / support welcome!

Starting Stats
--------------
Height : 5'10"
Weight : 14 stone on the nose
Chest : 41.5 inches
Stomach : 38 inches

Both stomach and chest were measured at their widest point

Breakfast
----------
Glass of Apple Juice
Bowl of Whole Grain Nestle Shredded Wheat
Avonmore Low Fat Super Milk (to go with the cereal)

Snack
------
Handful of Grapes
Pear

Lunch
------
3 round wholemeal pitta
Hummus
Cheddar Cheese

Work Out
---------
1.5km run - on treadmill at setting 9.5
350m on rowing machine at setting 5
1km cycle on level 5

Post Work Out
--------------
Sports Drink
Banana

Dinner
------
Breast of Chicken in Pesto
Wholemeal Pasta
Im far from an expert in dietary or exercise terms but at a quick glance dont think there is enough protein in your diet.
As your not a huge porker either two stone in 8 weeks might be too much too quick.
Im sure more knowledgeable posters will post better advice good luck
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 01:00   #6
Starvin Marvin

Are you not planning to lift weights?
Starvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 01:05   #7
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Will need weights! And protein for growth and repair.

Dieting / Exercise can almost be made as simple as saying "Eat less than your maintenance calories to achieve a calorie deficit. Do weights to maintain muscles and force your body to take from fat reserves instead"
Emmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 11:13   #8
Moneymaker

Send a message via MSN to Moneymaker Send a message via Skype™ to Moneymaker
You won't lose enough weight with that exercise plan. Not a prayer.

Interval training coupled with resistance training is the way to go.

10-15 mins on the Xtrainer, 10 seconds high intensity, 20 seconds low intensity. For your resistence training, do as many FBEs(full body exercises) as you can. Squats, bench pressing, planks etc etc. Avoid the machine weights like the plauge. Stick to free weights and exercises.

Diet needs a few tweaks too. I'll go through it for you;

Breakfast - Don't drink bottled juice, it's pure calories. Try green tea instead. It's full of antioxidants and other healthy stuff. I drink at least 3 cups a day and its the nuts.

Eat Jumbo oats instead of shredded wheat. You can also try frozen fruit(you can buy it for 1.99 a bag in Tesco), egg whites or another source of protein. A good breakfast is absolutely essential, I can't stress this enough. If you have to drink milk, stick to slimline.

Snack; No problem here. You can have berries of any kind too. Natural yogurt(you can get 0% fat yogurt in Tescos, Glenisk probiotic is fine too). A tin of tuna or something high in protein is great too.

Lunch; Fine, but have cottage cheese instead of cheddar. Very high in protein and it really doesn't taste that bad.

Post-work out: Sports drink is a big no-no. Stick to water, any piece of fruit is fine.

Dinner: Fine, wholewheat pasta is good. You could have some vegetables i.e brocolli/spinach/carrots/peppers and it would be even better

Chicken is good. Fish/steak/turkey would be grand also.

And just to prove i'm not talking out of my ass, i've been following this sort of regiment for about 9 months now. I was 147kg(thats over 23 stone in old money); in March 2010. I was 98.4kg this morning(15 stone, 4 ounces).

Best of luck with it anyways. If you follow a good diet and exercise plan, 2 stone in 2 months is certainly doable.

Last edited by Moneymaker; 04-01-11 at 11:15.
Moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 12:56   #9
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneymaker View Post

10-15 mins on the Xtrainer, 10 seconds high intensity, 20 seconds low intensity. For your resistence training, do as many FBEs(full body exercises) as you can. Squats, bench pressing, planks etc etc. Avoid the machine weights like the plauge. Stick to free weights and exercises.

Breakfast - Don't drink bottled juice, it's pure calories. Try green tea instead. It's full of antioxidants and other healthy stuff. I drink at least 3 cups a day and its the nuts.

Eat Jumbo oats instead of shredded wheat. You can also try frozen fruit(you can buy it for 1.99 a bag in Tesco), egg whites or another source of protein. A good breakfast is absolutely essential, I can't stress this enough. If you have to drink milk, stick to slimline.

Snack; No problem here. You can have berries of any kind too. Natural yogurt(you can get 0% fat yogurt in Tescos, Glenisk probiotic is fine too). A tin of tuna or something high in protein is great too.

Lunch; Fine, but have cottage cheese instead of cheddar. Very high in protein and it really doesn't taste that bad.

Post-work out: Sports drink is a big no-no. Stick to water, any piece of fruit is fine.

Dinner: Fine, wholewheat pasta is good. You could have some vegetables i.e brocolli/spinach/carrots/peppers and it would be even better

And just to prove i'm not talking out of my ass, i've been following this sort of regiment for about 9 months now. I was 147kg(thats over 23 stone in old money); in March 2010. I was 98.4kg this morning(15 stone, 4 ounces).

Best of luck with it anyways. If you follow a good diet and exercise plan, 2 stone in 2 months is certainly doable.
Wow,

Havent seen you since you started training and had no idea. serious achievement. Keep it up/

Best of luck Brian.
Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 13:27   #10
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
Im far from an expert in dietary or exercise terms but at a quick glance dont think there is enough protein in your diet.
As your not a huge porker either two stone in 8 weeks might be too much too quick.
Im sure more knowledgeable posters will post better advice good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
Are you not planning to lift weights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
Will need weights! And protein for growth and repair.
I do plan to do some weights but yesterday in the gym, there was pretty much nobody about to run through things with me so only did some cardio rather than lashing into something that I'm not too sure of and doing myself damage.

On the protein, will look at adding more, thought I had a good bit in there - I had planned on getting one of the protein shakes but the shop in the gym was closed (only re-opening today)

Any suggestions for getting a good source of protein into me apart from above?

Last edited by Lao Lao; 04-01-11 at 13:38.
Old 04-01-11, 13:37   #11
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneymaker View Post

Firstly, well done on your achievement so far - It must be over a year since I've played with you in the SE and had you not posted those pics, I don't think I would have recognised you! It really is amazing.

On the apple juice, it's the Copella Apple Juice, 100% juice, no preservatives etc, etc. Thought that this would be ok or maybe that's just all marketing malarky??

I really dislike Green Tea (or any form of tea for that matter) so if the apple juice is a non-runner, I can just cut it out all together or sub in a smoothie instead

The milk is low fat super milk, just as good as slimline??

On the other foods, I do plan to incorporate most of the stuff you mentioned into the diet, what I eat yesterday will not be what I eat every single day (some things will be constant) but I will be looking to vary meals so it doesn't get boring

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far!
Old 04-01-11, 13:38   #12
Sickpuppy

Quote:
I do plan to do some weights but yesterday in the gym, there was pretty much nobody about to run through things with me so only did some cardio rather than lashing into something that I'm not too sure of and doing myself damage.

On the protein, will look at adding more, thought I had a good bit in there - I had planned on getting one of the protein shakes but the shop in the gym was closed (only re-opening today)
Lao Lao fitday.com is agreat free site where there is lots of info on calorie restriction weight goal graphs etc.
If you do intend to lose this much weight so quickly you will have to be anal about your diet.
Unless you are hugely discilpined your goal will be impossible to get.
It takes 3500calories to lose one pound of fat.
so you want to lose 28 pounds thats a deficeit of 98000 calories divided by 60days your going to need a daily deficit of about 1600 calories a day which is huge.
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 13:54   #13
Emmet
Bashful the next day

RE: the apple juice, its just full of sugar/fructose. This will severely hamper a low carb diet!

RE: Protein, use whole foods imo, not shakes. Eggs, tuna, turkey, more meats. You should aim for a good serving of protein with each meal.

RE: Calorie counting etc, if you have an iphone/ipod, there is a great app called "mynetdiary" which is very similar to fitday (might even be part of it!) where you put in everything you've eaten over the course of the day, serving sizes etc, and it gives you back the macros of what you've eaten, as well as the calories and letting you know where you're not eating enough of vitamins etc.
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 14:02   #14
Moneymaker

Send a message via MSN to Moneymaker Send a message via Skype™ to Moneymaker
What Emmett and Sickpuppy said basically. You won't hit your target without being disciplined and regimental.

You can try green tea with lemon. It's a lot more drinkable and just as healthy. I do agree the normal stuff is foul swill tbh.

I wouldn't drink bottled juices period. Smoothies are fine, make em yourself with a blender. Lots of berries, natural yogurt and you're good to go.

Last edited by Moneymaker; 04-01-11 at 14:08.
Moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 14:11   #15
Lurker23

Quote:
Just make sure they show you the compound movements (squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press, military press, etc). More often than not, they'll just give you a few machines to do - it's much easier for them. Don't settle for this.

Suppose I should add that I wouldn't trust many trainers in gyms anyway. Most of them have little experience and are taught wrongly for some of the big lifts. Anyhow, post up what they tell you to do and we'll take a look.

Quote:
I had planned on getting one of the protein shakes but the shop in the gym was closed (only re-opening today)
It depends on what brand they're selling but I'd recommend buying your own from a supplement shop, preferably on the internet as it's cheaper. You need to ensure you get one with little or no carbs as this is most in line with your goals. I'd recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein. Ensure you don't buy one that is full of sugar also.

For diet info, you can't go wrong by reading the fitness stickies over in the other place:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055963342

Unfortunately, you'd need to be on a strict low carb diet in order to lose 2 stone in 8 weeks. This could be done without lifting weights but it'd be much much easier with them.

Best of luck
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 14:15   #16
Emmet
Bashful the next day

www.stronglifts.com
Great website for learning to lift weights, and putting you on right map with a target etc.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

This is the programme I've been working on (stalled for last 6 weeks with exams/snow/christmas/relocating home) and I've seen marked improvements in my stature and figure. Would certainly recommend it, especially as its a "no-frills/ no bullshit" kind of programme.
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 14:33   #17
Lurker23

Nearly forgot starting strength!

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Stronglifts pretty much copied this template. The book is an essential purchase.

I know we're all shoving a ton of info at you. Most people start these diets full of enthusiasm and try to do to much too soon. This results in a loss of confidence and willpower when something goes wrong (and it will!) which often ends up with them going back to square one. Just try to make gradual changes at the start and that should give you the best chance of succeeding.
Lurker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 14:45   #18
ghostface
Drunken assault fan

Going to try something similar to this myself altho 2 stone in 2 months to me sounds like madness!! Good luck

As someone who has never been a fan of doing weights, and particularly free weights which I have never used in a gym, I take it there is only so much weight you can lose doing a lot of cardio and having a good diet?
ghostface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 14:50   #19
Emmet
Bashful the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface ste View Post
Going to try something similar to this myself altho 2 stone in 2 months to me sounds like madness!! Good luck

As someone who has never been a fan of doing weights, and particularly free weights which I have never used in a gym, I take it there is only so much weight you can lose doing a lot of cardio and having a good diet?
yup, you will find that you will constantly need to increase your cardio as the body gets used to it. You need to "shock" your muscles and body often in order to keep it focussed on muscle production/growth, and you will find that your body will have no problem getting used to a workout in a few short weeks, and you will have to change it up again in order to maintain similar results of the prior few.

Why don't you like weights? I started them in August, had never lifted before, and I actually really enjoy it. You can feel yourself pushing yourself harder with each and every gym visit, as you get to put more weights on the bar, and you always feel like you're making progress.

Mentally, I think that weights are a great way to keep you focussed on goals. Especially with weight loss/muscle building goals.
3 Thanks From:
Old 04-01-11, 14:53   #20
Sickpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface ste View Post

Ste if you have more lean muscle you will burn more calories even when your sleeping.

A pound weight a week loss over say 20 weeks would be a stone and a half and is doable and youd need a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day .

People think if you lift weights sometimes your gonna look like Arnie its hard to put on muscle
and takes lots of work.
Anyone that has not lifted weights before might be intimidated by seeing guys lifting huge loads but everyone has to start somewhere.
Its a great feeling after even 4 or 5 weeks to feel yourself gettin stronger and increasing the weight you can lift
a mixture of cardio and weight training preferably on different days would be ideal i think
2 Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Personal Logs