Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 31-08-19, 21:35   #1661
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounders123 View Post
Yeah it got a bad name after Deadparrot and family took a visit and never recovered unfortunately.
Ha!
Sadly never made it there, we ended up in the castle which as reviewed at the time was pretty shit.
Maybe losing a 10 top cover did them in
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 03-09-19, 17:02   #1662
Lao Lao

Looking for suggestions for a restaurant in Dublin please for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday

Over the last few years, we've been to the following for birthday/anniversary so am thinking of trying somewhere new/different - I had looked at Uno Mass and Etto but both are booked out for the date / time I want

Dax
Bastible
Clanbrasil House
One Pico
Glovers Alley
The Greenhouse
Heron & Grey
Chapter One
Pearl Brasserie
L'Ecrivian
Forest & Marcy
Forest Green

Any suggestions?
Lao Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 13:50   #1663
Mickey Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Lao View Post
Looking for suggestions for a restaurant in Dublin please for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday

Over the last few years, we've been to the following for birthday/anniversary so am thinking of trying somewhere new/different - I had looked at Uno Mass and Etto but both are booked out for the date / time I want

Dax
Bastible
Clanbrasil House
One Pico
Glovers Alley
The Greenhouse
Heron & Grey
Chapter One
Pearl Brasserie
L'Ecrivian
Forest & Marcy
Forest Green

Any suggestions?
What about Host? Ate there recently and really enjoyed, different atmosphere than a lot of that list though so may not be quite what you are looking for.
Old 04-09-19, 13:59   #1664
eoghan104

Manifesto in Rathmines is a hidden gem.
eoghan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-09-19, 14:26   #1665
thechamp87

Shame Etto and Uno Mas are booked.
+1 for Host but think you live in Ranelagh.
Delahunt?
Or their new place, Franks?
Pickle?
Michael's or Little Mike's in Mount Merrion? amazing seafood.
thechamp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-09-19, 18:13   #1666
Lao Lao

Cheers lads.

Yeah, living in Ranelagh and was only in host a few months ago. Not that it's not worth a return visit straight away but thinking of something new.

Manifesto looks like a right little gem, that has definitely gone on the list.

I like the look of Frank's and the reviews for the food that I've seen are all good but the only off putting thing about it is that you can't book and you can't rock up, leave your name on a waiting list, grab a drink and get a call when the table is free as they don't have a phone apparently!

Had a complete brain fart and forgot all about Delahunt and haven't eaten there yet (only had drinks upstairs) so have booked there.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Thanks From:
Old 05-09-19, 15:17   #1667
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Manifesto would be a serious step down from Mrs Lao Lao's previous birthday excursions imo
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 06-09-19, 18:56   #1668
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
Manifesto would be a serious step down from Mrs Lao Lao's previous birthday excursions imo
It's grand, we're married now, I no longer need to impress her
Thanks From:
Old 15-09-19, 11:40   #1669
Lao Lao

Some news on Manifesto

Spoiler
Thanks From:
Old 16-09-19, 16:06   #1670
Goodluck2me

Took the train up to Belfast on Saturday to try out Ox restaurant.

Went with the 6 course tasing menu lunch with wines, they have two options and we went for the standard over the “prestige” as the waiter told us the standard was better matched, the prestige was brought in for the open to have some recognizability.

Opened with a customary glass of champagne, and lovely fresh sour dough bread served warm. First course was best described as a cheese profiterole, delicious. A tomato salad created by making a gelatins-like substance from tomato consommé was a fresh follow up. Next was scallops served in lobster bisque, wasn’t bad although the scallop was a little tough. Monkfish in a pea veloute followed and was tasty, if unremarkable. It was rounded off with a creme anglais/ ice cream mix which shouldn’t have been as nice as it was, very tasty. Petit fours etc.

Some interesting wines came from Hungary, Croatia and Czech Republic.

Overall I’d say it’s nice for lunch, we certainly envied the A La Carte diners as the lamb in particular looked amazing. 7/10, not worth a trip on its own but pretty pleasant day out if you’re there anyway.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 08:18   #1671
ionapaul

Went out to Pickle last Friday, having booked a few weeks previously (hard to get a booking these days it seems); was a very nice meal, quality Indian food, but definitely a step down from Ananda in terms of quality of both food, service and in particular ambiance. Was very busy in there and more noisy than I would prefer as a result.

Had the scallops starter, this was exceptional I thought and with three full scallops was a bigger starter than most; of course, at €15 compared to sub-€10 for most other starters you'd expect something special and/or more substantial.

Had an interesting lamb curry for my main; can't recall the name of the dish, lots of meat in a metal dish, came with a very thick dark red curry/sauce. Thick enough to eat with a fork! Also came with a new-to-me flat bread, I would almost think this was potato-based somehow, seemed midway between a flat bread and a fried potato cake Nice dish but nothing too special.

We shared a decent bottle of Reisling and chose Port for our dessert wine. Think the damage came to about €135 for the two of us. Personally I'll probably argue for Ananda again in the future, for those instances when we want a top-quality Indian.
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 13:07   #1672
Raoul Duke III
The King

I'm a huge Pickle fan but feels like I must finally try out Ananda, goddammit.
Old 17-09-19, 13:09   #1673
Raoul Duke III
The King

By the way, I am blithely assuming that Lao Lao has the annual HHE dinner organisation well in hand...
Old 17-09-19, 13:23   #1674
Gimmeabreak
Chief Tipster

Ananda and Pickle are both excellent but they are not pitching at the same market. Ananda is Indian Cuisine done exceptionally very well for the western palate. Pickle is more "traditional" Indian Cuisine for the western palate. Both excellent in their own right but comparing them is a little unfair on both.
Gimmeabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-19, 15:29   #1675
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Went out to Pickle last Friday, having booked a few weeks previously (hard to get a booking these days it seems); was a very nice meal, quality Indian food, but definitely a step down from Ananda in terms of quality of both food, service and in particular ambiance. Was very busy in there and more noisy than I would prefer as a result.

Had the scallops starter, this was exceptional I thought and with three full scallops was a bigger starter than most; of course, at €15 compared to sub-€10 for most other starters you'd expect something special and/or more substantial.

Had an interesting lamb curry for my main; can't recall the name of the dish, lots of meat in a metal dish, came with a very thick dark red curry/sauce. Thick enough to eat with a fork! Also came with a new-to-me flat bread, I would almost think this was potato-based somehow, seemed midway between a flat bread and a fried potato cake Nice dish but nothing too special.

We shared a decent bottle of Reisling and chose Port for our dessert wine. Think the damage came to about €135 for the two of us. Personally I'll probably argue for Ananda again in the future, for those instances when we want a top-quality Indian.
135 for 2 for a good indian?

i see Dublin hasn't changed!
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 17-09-19, 17:06   #1676
Lao Lao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
By the way, I am blithely assuming that Lao Lao has the annual HHE dinner organisation well in hand...

You are either snooping on me or great minds think alike...

I only booked Vintage Kitchen yesterday for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people, just haven't had a chance to post it up here yet.
2 Thanks From:
Old 17-09-19, 18:24   #1677
Raoul Duke III
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Lao View Post
You are either snooping on me or great minds think alike...

I only booked Vintage Kitchen yesterday for Friday 24th Jan at 8:30pm for 8 people, just haven't had a chance to post it up here yet.
I usually think 'Culture Night, time to give auld Lao a kick up the hole'.
Old 18-09-19, 09:15   #1678
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
Ananda and Pickle are both excellent but they are not pitching at the same market. Ananda is Indian Cuisine done exceptionally very well for the western palate. Pickle is more "traditional" Indian Cuisine for the western palate. Both excellent in their own right but comparing them is a little unfair on both.
Where would put Kinara in all of this? I personally think it beats both, having dined in Pickle a few back purely on the strength of their excellent Biryani at the ToD, and enjoyed it on the night too, but prefer Kinara Ranelagh. I would like to go back to pickle to try the goat though as I haven’t seen that anywhere else.

Also ate at Liath a few weeks ago, very high skilled cooking and generous with the wine, the only criticisms I’d have would be that there was no bread and no petit fours so I was actually quite hungry after ten rounds, as the portions are literally one spoon in size.
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 18-09-19, 09:24   #1679
Gimmeabreak
Chief Tipster

Haven't been in Kinara for some time but as you mention it I'd probably have it on a par with Ananda. For those looking for a comparative to Pickle I recommend Konkan on Clanbrassil St.
Old 18-09-19, 09:26   #1680
Gimmeabreak
Chief Tipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
Went to Clanbrassil House last night with New Approach and KPNuts. Outstanding food. Put it on your list and get along.
I was here again last night. Still fantastic. The chef featured on an RTE show on Tuesday evening, Beyond The Menu, which you will find on RTE Player if interested.
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games