Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“He said he had bought the drugs and believed them not to be of good quality and that was why he attended the garda station,” Gda Foley said.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Chanel came home from galway for a few days we all went for dinner. All I can say is we were like a bunch of knackers. Mia called chanel fat, chanel turns on Mia calling her brace face with a mouthful of over crowded teeth and em Mia wtf are you wearing like...
      Mia punched chanel in leg, chanel pushed mia right into corner of seat. My mother is shouting for God's sake will ye stop very loudly.

I've tears streaming down face thinking ah fuck it every family prob same. Lady behind us feeding a new born throwing daggers.

Jesus was nuts. Came home the two of them kicked off again, Mia called Chanel's hair unicorn hair as its showing shades of blonde, grey with a blue hue. With that chanel tore into mia about the clothes she was wearing again So Mia poured a glass of black current miwadi and tipped over Chanel's head.

Fucking kids!!!
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
        Chanel came home from galway for a few days we all went for dinner. All I can say is we were like a bunch of knackers. Mia called chanel fat, chanel turns on Mia calling her brace face with a mouthful of over crowded teeth and em Mia wtf are you wearing like...
        Mia punched chanel in leg, chanel pushed mia right into corner of seat. My mother is shouting for God's sake will ye stop very loudly.

I've tears streaming down face thinking ah fuck it every family prob same. Lady behind us feeding a new born throwing daggers.

Jesus was nuts. Came home the two of them kicked off again, Mia called Chanel's hair unicorn hair as its showing shades of blonde, grey with a blue hue. With that chanel tore into mia about the clothes she was wearing again So Mia poured a glass of black current miwadi and tipped over Chanel's head.

Fucking kids!!!
        Dinner with 4 SatNav's of varying ages. Sounds like a great night.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Seems Letwin vote to pass. That means May has pretty much been officially kicked out of governing the country she is PM of.
              that happened months ago dude, do try to keep up.

not a gilet jaune in sight either
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

3 (junior I am guessing as I never heard of any of them) ministers resigned to back the Letwin amendment.

What a classic omnishambles clusterfuck.

As my faceless Eurocrat friend likes to taunt his remaining British friends: "you did this to yourselves".

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Fucking kids!!!
                  Standard. you should have had boys
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                    latest cliff notes on brexit please?

Parliament as a whole will run the show, decide what amendments to put down .
                    There is nothing the government can do to control the agenda, and the effect is that no deal is drifting again after almost going fav this morning .

Comment

Unless Farrage or the ERG think they have Italy or Hungary set up to veto any extension and force no deal. unlikely but not impossible.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Parliament as a whole will run the show, decide what amendments to put down .
                          There is nothing the government can do to control the agenda, and the effect is that no deal is drifting again after almost going fav this morning .
                          Nothing they do or pass is binding though surely? It'll ultimately be another exercise in showing that the UK parliament can't decide what it wants, or else that decide they want something that never was and is never likely to be, on offer.

Comment

Comment

I kinda like it.

We need a border quick to keep them delusional twats from coming down to sing to us

Comment

Sick of Brexit? Not to worry, when you win the IPB Aintree Tipping Comp, you can afford to have your cake and eat it. Possibly with pink edible unicorns on top.

Comment

@SP: you've probably seen it by now but Stan and Ollie is now widely available

Comment

Any good iPhone apps to download videos form YouTube? Have a flight today and would like a few without having to sign up for YouTube Premium (already use free trial a few months ago)

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                      @SP: you've probably seen it by now but Stan and Ollie is now widely available
                                      Managed to miss it in the cinema, the night I eventually got time it wasn't showing anywhere.
                                      Hoping to make it to London for the weekend, if its still showing there I might even go.
                                      What's the gig of the weekend there?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        Managed to miss it in the cinema, the night I eventually got time it wasn't showing anywhere.
                                        Hoping to make it to London for the weekend, if its still showing there I might even go.
                                        What's the gig of the weekend there?
                                        not going myself, but this is the only one which popped up on my radar: Rizwan-Muazzam Qawwali who are playing the barbican on saturday. Never heard them but huge fan of their teacher and mentor Nusrat fateh ali khan. if they're even half as good, it's going to be special, and personally love the barbican hall

Comment

I fucking love Bercow
                                          his put down and subsequent apology were pure box office
                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 26-03-19, 11:38.
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                            Nothing they do or pass is binding though surely?
                                            It's not going to be binding but if she was to ignore a clear majority for say Norway+ or a referendum it would bring on a constitutional crisis on a whole new level altogether, it would certainly lead to a GE but that cannot happen before 12/4.

That kind of scenario whe remains one of the clearer routes to no deal. Then to avoid that would need something like parliament putting together an emergency government representing their majority to go to Europe, agreeing to Euro elections, and asking for a long delay. Hilariously many of those type of scenarios could see May staying in the office and carrying out the official part of the role of PM against her will.

It all hangs on how well parliament can organise the voting tomorrow.
                                            If they can agree, and as far as I can see it is possible to, a vote that allows all the options to be put on a ballot where everyone can vote for whatever option they would vote for in some circumstances, i.e. A Labour leaver might tick Norway + and a referendum but not May's deal and the DUP and ERG can tick 'No Surrender' to everything on the menu. The idea being that through a series of votes like that they work out what if any options that could get a majority.
                                            If they can't work out a majority for anything then back to May's deal.

Comment

Going around all morning singing 'everybody here hates Roman Catholics' not a great look in a multicultural office but hot damn that's a catchy tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                Going around all morning singing 'everybody here hates Roman Catholics' not a great look in a multicultural office but hot damn that's a catchy tune.
                                                I've been humming 'come out you black and tans' for about 8 days now since the TTWAP scene.

Comment

Any of you seen 'Furniture' by the Druid? Worth a look?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                    I've been humming 'come out you black and tans' for about 8 days now since the TTWAP scene.
                                                    I have that competing with the goddamned theme from Jeopardy after watching a run of it on netflix last week

Comment

And there was me thinking BBV did hate roman catholics

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

You can feel better singing this
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

My Dutch intercity train has come to a complete standstill.

Because: 'there is a swan on the tracks'.

That's a new one tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                            And there was me thinking BBV did hate roman catholics
                                                            Only religious ones. BBV reserves the right to take offence on behalf of secular Catholics.

Comment

Working from home today. Got a presentation done for a conference on Thursday and then went for a 5k walk followed by lunch outside. Bliss.

Thinking about how early I can (semi) retire and live the same lifestyle as I do now. 10-15 more years I reckon but if I can manage a decent sprinkling of working from home and not getting too stressed it’s very acceptable. Someone will probably dangle an uplift in front of my nose and I’ll fuck my life up soon with overdoing it.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

McGregor retiring apparently according to his own tweet. Enjoyed this one though.

Comment

You'd be worried if your pension advisor wasn't thinking about retiring.

I remember my friend thinking I was mad for talking about that subject in my late 20s, but if you're not thinking about it how's it ever gonna happen.

There's balance too, those FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) people who are trying to raise a family for pennies all sound insane. The successful stories unusually involve some windfall and moving to the midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                    Any good iPhone apps to download videos form YouTube? Have a flight today and would like a few without having to sign up for YouTube Premium (already use free trial a few months ago)
                                                                    Not an app but have used this website a few times: https://y2mate.com/
                                                                    Last edited by NuckChorris; 26-03-19, 14:25.

Comment

I remember my friend thinking I was mad for talking about that subject in my late 20s, but if you're not thinking about it how's it ever gonna happen.

There's balance too, those FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) people who are trying to raise a family for pennies all sound insane. The successful stories unusually involve some windfall and moving to the midwest.
                                                                      On the FIRE people - I think the points they make about mindful spending and long term investing are well made. What's now considered raising your family on pennies was an average existence not all that long ago and people raised in those times seem no worse off for my money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                        If anyone is still on prepay like me, it may be of use to know you can (I believe) pay for Youtube premium with unused phone credit through the play store.

Comment

or Valencia

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                            Someone will probably dangle an uplift in front of my nose and I’ll fuck my life up soon with overdoing it.
                                                                            ow. he said as the smack of self-realisation crunched into his face

although at least I have minions like Hitch these days to cover my more important duties like running the Aintree Tipping Comp

Comment

...

Comment

People in the pensions industry actually rarely retire early compared to other jobs in my experience. It's because being a bit older in this game is a major positive and it's not that terribly taxing if I'm honest. I'm in the business 20 years and it's the same old faces getting older...In the investment industry it's probably tougher as you get older and hungry fuckers are looking for your job but in this niche things are a bit more sedate and grey hair and middle age spread are all plus points!

Plus there are loads of opportunities to scale back in your work and semi retire. For example I could decide I no longer fancy running our investment area and having demanding corporate clients so I could pick up a 3 day week gig advising rich folk where life is more leisurely and sedate. Or I could pick up a gig as a professional Trustee which might be a 2 day a week commitment on average across a number of pension schemes.

My plan has always been to be in a position to suffer no lifestyle reduction from some point in my 50's such that if I got the bullet or was fucked up of the whole thing I could completely walk away.

Iago is the poster boy for FIRE around here but I don't want to scale back the way he's done or move to Malta or Spain (the European equivalent of moving to the mid west). Maybe in my later years I will and money will go ever further but it's not the goal at the minute.

Getting the balance right is the trickiest part of the whole thing.

I have a friend who's husband is 50 and she's ~42. He has €1m in his pension pot (and accessible from age 50 once he retires). They have a PPR and an investment property. Probably have equity of ~600k across both. She has a modest pension pot of ~200k and they live very normal regular lifestyles...plus they'll probably get some decent inheritances down the line.

I can't believe that they still work 9-6. They have kids aged 8 and 3 and are working for something to do really...
                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                  ow. he said as the smack of self-realisation crunched into his face

although at least I have minions like Hitch these days to cover my more important duties like running the Aintree Tipping Comp
                                                                                  You really only have a few years left of having to work. You could probably be going part-time in a few years time.

The hardest part of retiring is losing your motivation in life I think. We all need to start planning that bit now because men can fall apart once the "providing" part of life is over.

Can't imagine ever wanting to retire tbh.

Although given the success of a side hobby of learning coding am now going to move on to the next stage of luck pushing of setting up a startup.

It'll need to wait until post-op. But think it'll work. Going to use the two-month recovery downtime to plan.

I'd imagine retiring from a company, as opposed to doing research, would be a must easier choice.
                                                                                  Taking time off is lovely but you do get an itch to be doing productive things after a while. I think you're more productive if you aren't stressed though and having a retirement nest egg can help with that.

Comment

Btw I know I asked before but does anyone on here use a Virtual Assistant that you'd recommend.

I'm making up a list of what a VA could do for me and about 5 hours a week of someone getting mundane stuff done for me would be a game changer...the only question is would I outsource researching shit. I just love that too much!!

Comment

Btw I know I asked before but does anyone on here use a Virtual Assistant that you'd recommend.

I'm making up a list of what a VA could do for me and about 5 hours a week of someone getting mundane stuff done for me would be a game changer...the only question is would I outsource researching shit. I just love that too much!!
                                                                                      What sort of things would you imagine using one for, just out of interest?

Comment

Gf's dad was sent on a retirement course. His wifes exact words, "Don't think you are following me down to the church every day like some ould one" Has a great time of it doing a bit of gardening,GAA coaching, various grandkid related jobs etc
                                                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Although given the success of a side hobby of learning coding am now going to move on to the next stage of luck pushing of setting up a startup.

It'll need to wait until post-op. But think it'll work. Going to use the two-month recovery downtime to plan.

I'd imagine retiring from a company, as opposed to doing research, would be a must easier choice.
                                                                                          Anywhere in particular you would recommend if one was to learn Python?

Also.. to the Drs in the room... am considering embarking on the PhD adventure. Tell me why it's an awful idea (specifically part time through publication).
                                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

You really only have a few years left of having to work. You could probably be going part-time in a few years time.
                                                                                            V getting the age-related abuse in early.

Comment

It's not really about retiring, it's more about having the loots that there's no real worry about income any more. I've no interest in sitting on a beach or going on cruises, it'd be more about getting to finish my goodreads list and other pursuits.

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                                                                                              On the FIRE people - I think the points they make about mindful spending and long term investing are well made. What's now considered raising your family on pennies was an average existence not all that long ago and people raised in those times seem no worse off for my money.
                                                                                              YEah the mindful spending is something worthwhile. I just think they push the needle a bit of the frugal front. It must be massively damaging to their social life (they obv think the trade off is worth it) but cutting back like that would necessitate an entirely different group of friends and activities.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Just in the process of hiring a personal admin V. It's surprisingly difficult to separate out the bits you do because you have to and the bits you do because you want to. Will report back when I determine the spec.

Admins now are the like the house cleaners trend of 2017, I suspect.

Have some external funding for it that allows the hire without strings, so suspect I'm being a bit flippant with the tasks
                                                                                                    Finally coming around to the idea of a cleaner. Anyone have any recommendations for D2 area?

2p2 might be a place for research a VA. They were big on PAs and VAs there for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                      What sort of things would you imagine using one for, just out of interest?
                                                                                                      Now you've started me. Off the top of my head are the following things...

Time recording (I spend an hour a week on this)
                                                                                                      Expenses recovery (15 minutes a week)
                                                                                                      Billing clients (1 hour a week)
                                                                                                      Ordering shit and chasing people to get household tasks done (30 minutes a week)
                                                                                                      Ordering presents and following up with people (30 minutes a week)
                                                                                                      Managing my diary. Back and forth with scheduling meetings etc. (1 hour a week).
                                                                                                      Managing trips abroad and booking shit etc. (30 minutes a week)

Tbh it's probably more as I have to carry all this to do shit in my head and end up circling back to stuff unnecessarily. I'd probably lose an hour sending instructions to the VA but I think I'd gain a net 4 hours from week one and probably more over time.

Some of this is work related and some is personal stuff but I don't have a PA in work, all I have is junior staff who I can't ask to do this kind of thing. If I could get a VA for say €30p/h and expense it then I get 4 valuable waking hours of my time "released" per week. I charge 400p/h to clients so I think it's worth it even if I only do 30 minutes more billable work as a result.

Comment

Following up on a few of Hitchs suggestions, I'm just finishing up
                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                        by Michigan, I'll follow on with the next Michigan course.

The only change I've made to the above course is that everything I am practicing is through Anaconda & Jupyter Notebooks as it's very easy to use, save & share data and you can use multiple languages.

Comment

Time recording and billing could be done via your phone, I have mine set up with a geo-fence around clients, so when I arrive/leave it feeds a google spreadsheet via IFTTT. That then tallies up what hours I spent where and spits that into another spreadsheet for each client, which then gets sent via PDF when it comes invoice time. They are all in a folder then that gets zipped and sent to accountant at year end. There is a button I can hit as well on phone for offsite work to start and stop the clock on the spreadsheet, but I have to click on which customer that is allocated to afterwards.

Have virtually all expenses last few years going onto my Amex to earn the points, so it same for that, all email receipts get auto forwarded to another folder on google drive. Have accountant haggled down to feck all in fees as it is a penalty kick for him for him to do the books.
                                                                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Those FIRE fora are always quite grim, I drink my own piss but my god I'll retire early and live off my 4% yield frugally. The only proper ones are people that have large paying jobs and are saving 100k+ per annum since their early 20s and they were never in any difficulty anyway.

I think we have a virtual receptionist in work now, haven't gone to the new part of the office we did up yet to check it out.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-03-19, 16:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                              Those FIRE fora are always quite grim, I drink my own piss but my god I'll retire early and live off my 4% yield frugally. The only proper ones are people that have large paying jobs and are saving 100k+ per annum since their early 20s and they were never in any difficulty anyway.

I think we have a virtual receptionist in work now, haven't gone to the new part of the office we did up yet to check it out.
                                                                                                              one of the more bizarre beliefs out there

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

And/Or they have blogs which generate decent revenue, written for other FIREs to follow, it's like a modern pyramid scheme. Also seems entirely illogical for a those blogs to generate ad revenue.

Comment

And/Or they have blogs which generate decent revenue, written for other FIREs to follow, it's like a modern pyramid scheme. Also seems entirely illogical for a those blogs to generate ad revenue.
                                                                                                                  They're all pushing people into a very narrow spectrum of investment products.

Comment

I'd imagine if V ever saw how I splatter money all over the place he wouldn't need to worry about his retirement pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                      I'd imagine if V ever saw how I splatter money all over the place he wouldn't need to worry about his retirement pot.
                                                                                                                      Same for mugsy here, though my splattering is sadly not as enjoyable as in my youth.
                                                                                                                      On paper on 10k down from my contracting days but that is offset by pension contributions/a really good healthcare package and 30 days holidays.
                                                                                                                      Also a sizable wedge from executive pension from previous ltd life.
                                                                                                                      So far so good, but the last 12-18 months has fucking drained me financially, it's a short term thing, MrsDP now caring for her dad full time but no benefit as of yet, deadpigeon still eating up creche fees, rent, new car for scooting bigger family around, numerous medical emergencies etc etc.
                                                                                                                      Looking forward however is a little better
                                                                                                                      Kiddo out of creche this September into pre school (free !!!! )
                                                                                                                      FIL house sold
                                                                                                                      use that to pay off outstanding bills incurred and car loan .
                                                                                                                      Wedge for mortgage, monthly then more or less same as rent after large deposit

Adulting fucking sucks

Comment

...
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 26-03-19, 19:42.

Comment

Offered a new role, (and uplift) with a very millenial start up app company based out of here. Was a very attractive position wih options pre seed round. Company is profitable and looks to be dooing very well from the due diligence of their financial records since inception I did.

Pulled the incorp records as part of that due diligence. Noticed one of the founders has his missus' name on the shareholding. Interesting I thought.

Googled him. Uh oh. Sketchy past for our boy. Fiscally speaking.

Called him out, felt like I was putting him on the stand again but he was pretty open about it. Naively thought about still taking the position. Genuinely cool job invovling basically building my own product team and managing a suite of 3 interrealted but different software products.

Approach my own CTO about it, told him the whole deal (not the sketchy part). We went back and forth and he said give him a day to come back to me. Next day he did, mentioned they'd match the salary but also organize a retention bonus post acquisition. He said make the best decision for me, but also said his wife knew some former employees of the other place and wanted me to make sure I speak to them before deciding.

So I did.
                                                                                                                          Disparaging wasn't the word.

Turned down the other crew.

Pays to work for good people.
                                                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X