Bad call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad call?

early stages in a tournament, picked up QAd raised in middleposition to 90 blinds were 15/30

flop comes down jd 9c 9d action checks to me i raise 285 leaving me a stack of 683

folds around to the villain who shoves all in i called.

How els could this hand of been played?
    i did put him on a 9, so i knew i was an underdog when i did call

was folding the best option here?
    Disaster - Dreamcrusher

i am sorry but i'm finding it really hard to follow the action,

you have two overs and a FD and 30odd BBs

your bet sizing on the flop is bad, either c/r the flop or bet/call but bet less
    http://drjff.blogspot.com/

Comment

i bet 3/4 of the pot in hope to push out any other draws he came over the top...thats where i was stumped
      Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Originally posted by BrianByrne View Post
        i bet 3/4 of the pot in hope to push out any other draws he came over the top...thats where i was stumped
        you have the nut draw why would you want to push them out,

betting this big on the flop given your stack size is bad trust me, bet like 150ish max

Comment

yeah true, thanks for advice, i guess i was just scared of a full house as silly as that sounds xD

so when the guy went over the top all in

was i right to call?
          Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Small bet on the flop and when He over bets the pot feel safe in the knowledge you dodged a set.

And as other posters have pointed over with 33bb no need to get into this kind of situation.

Comment

yeah right to call

Comment

you want to keep draws in, you have a NFD, other draws are the only hands you are ahead of really.
                yeah true, thanks for advice, i guess i was just scared of a full house as silly as that sounds xD

so when the guy went over the top all in

was i right to call?
                Regardless, bettign was never going to push out a draw.
                With this many people seeing a flop, leadign is pretty poor here. Check abnd hope for a free card

Originally posted by DrJFF View Post
                you have the nut draw why would you want to push them out,

betting this big on the flop given your stack size is bad trust me, bet like 150ish max
                He bet half the pot (exactly), that's not exactly betting big.
                Betting 150 (into 570) would be terrible. I honestly think that is probably the worst thing you could do. What is the point of betting so small? So we can fold if he raises??? Check fold in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  you want to keep draws in, you have a NFD, other draws are the only hands you are ahead of really.

Regardless, bettign was never going to push out a draw.
                  With this many people seeing a flop, leadign is pretty poor here. Check abnd hope for a free card

He bet half the pot (exactly), that's not exactly betting big.
                  Betting 150 (into 570) would be terrible. I honestly think that is probably the worst thing you could do. What is the point of betting so small? So we can fold if he raises??? Check fold in that case.

as i said in my first post i couldn't understand the hh so i thought it was heads up

and the post size was smaller than 570 obv betting 150 is not optimal into 570

LOL at folding regardless at bet size on this board

if the pot was 570, 200-shove is fine imo

Comment

Yes the pot was 500 + post flop,
                    raised to 285
                    villain came over the top i called all in

so instead of a bet here, checking for a free card would of been optimal.

i think regardless in this situation, the guy who hit trip 9's was always gonna ship it

however i think id of had more fold equity if i hadnt raised in before him
                    Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Yeah i dont know what i was thinking when i typed this response..thats not what i was trying to do at all aha
                      Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

anything other than folding post seems fine

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys
                          Last edited by BrianByrne; 08-02-10, 13:13.
                          Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Right

final question

is it the right play to risk your entire stack so early on in the tourney on the nut flush draw with the board paired?
                            Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

it depends.

Comment

Right

final question

is it the right play to risk your entire stack so early on in the tourney on the nut flush draw with the board paired?
                                I wouldn't say it was bad, but it's definitely not the optimal play. However, once you've bet 25% of your chips, folding would be a terrible mistake. The best play is to check the flop and see what the others do.

Also, I would raise more preflop. Bet 4 or even 5 times the big blind. As you can see, you get way too many callers betting just 3BBs UTG early in a tournament, especially on iPoker.
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This all seems superstandard to me everywhere? I wouldn't change anything about how you played the hand. No way am I checking.

WP imo.
                                  Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Working...
                                  X