Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 14-09-18, 16:19   #741
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
Will Wheaton repeatedly reading out the scoreboard in Ready Player One would make you want to jump off a cliff.
Lmao especially with all the fucking numbers.
Old 14-09-18, 17:31   #742
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Suggestions for books on Israeli-Palestinian conflict is what I'm after next. Happy to have relatively bias views of both to read, it's a work related thing as I'm off to Israel for training in a few weeks by myself so a decent grasp of it would be beneficial plus I'm genuinely interested too.

SP might have some podcasts too
Foreign Affairs had an issue dedicated to Israel a while back, could be worth reading if you can get your hands on a copy/PDF.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/issues/2016/95/4

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-09-18, 20:44   #743
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Suggestions for books on Israeli-Palestinian conflict is what I'm after next. Happy to have relatively bias views of both to read, it's a work related thing as I'm off to Israel for training in a few weeks by myself so a decent grasp of it would be beneficial plus I'm genuinely interested too.

SP might have some podcasts too
Have nothing except for a fiction novel I read ages ago that has always stuck in my head. Quite a rich and seemingly well-informed background weaved into the overall story. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79377.Exile
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-09-18, 22:17   #744
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Foreign Affairs had an issue dedicated to Israel a while back, could be worth reading if you can get your hands on a copy/PDF.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/issues/2016/95/4
Worth a subscription in general? I signed up to the NewStatesman via Kindle but outside of formatting you can't read on Kindle Desktop so I'll change to their site
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-18, 02:09   #745
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
I may be biased but yes as they just commissioned my brother to write an article for them. I'm proof reading/editing a draft in the morning.
Old 17-09-18, 15:54   #746
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
May be of interest to someone...

I was googling around for the best audiobook version of LOTR as I want to listen to it again and know there are a good few versions available. I saw several glowing recommendations of a BBC dramatisation from a long time back that is apparently excellent as well as fairly faithful to the text.

Better again it is available to download for free from here:

https://archive.org/details/LordOfTh...e+Rings+01.mp3
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 17-09-18, 16:21   #747
Tar.Aldarion

Nice cheers!
Old 19-09-18, 11:20   #748
Tar.Aldarion

Children of Húrin read by Christopher Lee is supposed to be great
Old 19-09-18, 12:21   #749
pokerhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
Guilty pleasures. books you've read so many times you just can't remember, but you'll still probably read them 10 times more:

Ender's trilogy (ender's game, speaker for the dead and xenocide) by Orson Scott Card. from the battle room, to the piggies to the hive queen, i just never tire of these stories. It probably also helps that i read them when very young so they always stayed fresh in my mind.

The Hyperion and Endymion series by Dan Simmons: My favorite Sci fi series ever. I've read them countless times and still get excited at every re-read.

Perfume:the story of a murderer by Patrick Suskind. The story of grenouille is just such an incredible journey. Gripped from the first page to the last every time. If you haven't read it or don't know it, just pick it up and read it. A crime novel like no other.

Stone Junction by Jim Dodge. Not sure why, but i never mention this book, even though it's one of my favorites. i read it every other year and this since the early 90s. Some might say a spiritual book dressed up as an adventure, full of amazing characters. It never ceases to put a smile on my face, and makes me want to believe in magic.

I'll think of a few more but those just spring to mind straight away.
Read stone junction. Good book, but give it 7/10.

Spoiler
Old 19-09-18, 12:31   #750
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard

Juggling at the moment;
Dr.Sleep (sequel to the Shining)
Why we sleep
Fear: Trump in the whitehouse
Homo Deus

it can get a little confusing
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 13:24   #751
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Watching that Icarus documentary, decided to see if I could get some sort of Putin book because whatever else he's an interesting character. Still have audible credits to use so going to give All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir Putin a go.
Had an attempt at the Putin book mentioned above a little while ago but couldn't stick it. The cunt doing the narration with the cardinal sin of attempting fake Russian accents in a non-fiction book. Why, like.

In the meantime I finished the full catalogue of Sherlock Holmes books. Very enjoyable but there were very few I hadn't read before.

Since then I read through A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin, mostly because I liked the sound of the name and because it was short. It's a nice little book, almost like Hermann Hesse doing fantasy in terms of style. There seem to be two more books in a trilogy and a few more set in the same world as well. I might give them a spin at some stage but wouldn't be in a great hurry.

I also listened to Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold, which is Stephen Fry's take on (some of) the myths of ancient Greece. It was entertaining enough but wasn't exactly a deep or meaningful treatment of the stories. I wouldn't warn anyone off it but wouldn't go so far as to actively recommend it either.

The one I have most recently finished is The City & the City by China Mieville. This one now I thought was excellent. It is basically what they describe as a 'police procedural' where a cop finds a dead body and goes on a murder investigation. As seems to be usual with Mieville what makes his stories interesting is his setting. In this case the setting are the cities Beszel and Ul Qoma. The two cities occupy the same geographical position but are in some hard to define way separated from one another. I wouldn't go into much more detail than that except to say I found this most enjoyable.

I'm now listening to Return of the Crimson Guard which is my second foray into Ian Esselmont's Malazan novels. People are always falling over themselves to say these aren't as well written as the Erikson books, but I think there's more in praise of Erikson there than in criticism of Esselmont, who is far from the worst fantasy author I've come across.

Also reading Neuromancer, a classic of the cyberpunk genre. I found this started off well but I've been languishing at about 20% of the way through for a while for whatever reason. I'll persevere with it for the sake of saying I've read it if nothing else. I'm sure it must be good as I've always had the impression it's highly regarded.
Thanks From:
Old 19-09-18, 14:00   #752
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerhand View Post
Read stone junction. Good book, but give it 7/10.

Spoiler
Personally, i really like it, but i can definitely see why some people wouldn't. Nevertheless, glad you enjoyed it!
shrapnel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 14:06   #753
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Had an attempt at the Putin book mentioned above a little while ago but couldn't stick it. The cunt doing the narration with the cardinal sin of attempting fake Russian accents in a non-fiction book. Why, like.

In the meantime I finished the full catalogue of Sherlock Holmes books. Very enjoyable but there were very few I hadn't read before.

Since then I read through A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin, mostly because I liked the sound of the name and because it was short. It's a nice little book, almost like Hermann Hesse doing fantasy in terms of style. There seem to be two more books in a trilogy and a few more set in the same world as well. I might give them a spin at some stage but wouldn't be in a great hurry.

I also listened to Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold, which is Stephen Fry's take on (some of) the myths of ancient Greece. It was entertaining enough but wasn't exactly a deep or meaningful treatment of the stories. I wouldn't warn anyone off it but wouldn't go so far as to actively recommend it either.

The one I have most recently finished is The City & the City by China Mieville. This one now I thought was excellent. It is basically what they describe as a 'police procedural' where a cop finds a dead body and goes on a murder investigation. As seems to be usual with Mieville what makes his stories interesting is his setting. In this case the setting are the cities Beszel and Ul Qoma. The two cities occupy the same geographical position but are in some hard to define way separated from one another. I wouldn't go into much more detail than that except to say I found this most enjoyable.

I'm now listening to Return of the Crimson Guard which is my second foray into Ian Esselmont's Malazan novels. People are always falling over themselves to say these aren't as well written as the Erikson books, but I think there's more in praise of Erikson there than in criticism of Esselmont, who is far from the worst fantasy author I've come across.

Also reading Neuromancer, a classic of the cyberpunk genre. I found this started off well but I've been languishing at about 20% of the way through for a while for whatever reason. I'll persevere with it for the sake of saying I've read it if nothing else. I'm sure it must be good as I've always had the impression it's highly regarded.
jeez, you're on a tear!!! Never really enjoyed le Guin. Read a few as she's obviously a legend, but never enjoyed her pacing. FWIW, Goro Miyazaki, son of the great one, did a film based on the tales of Earthsea.
shrapnel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 14:12   #754
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
jeez, you're on a tear!!! Never really enjoyed le Guin. Read a few as she's obviously a legend, but never enjoyed her pacing. FWIW, Goro Miyazaki, son of the great one, did a film based on the tales of Earthsea.
I wouldn't have gotten through a fraction of all that if it wasn't for audiobooks. I haven't really staked out a reading nook in my house yet and the TV is on most evenings so I tend to just put on the headphones and pass a few hours listening to something.

I've only managed to get through 10 books in print out of ~30 I think.

Actually I think I might spend the afternoon planning that reading nook!
Thanks From:
Old 19-09-18, 14:44   #755
Tar.Aldarion

Loved Return of the Crimson Guard and all the sidebooks I've read really. I have annoying memories about it as I bought it one christmas in book form (probably last real book I've bought for myself) and lugged it home to Sligo, where my mother thought it was an old book and prompty threw it out when "cleaning". I was one chapter in and didn't read it until ages after. Still pains me.
Old 19-09-18, 16:15   #756
pokerhand

Quote:
Personally, i really like it, but i can definitely see why some people wouldn't. Nevertheless, glad you enjoyed it!
Yeah, it was full of very interesting characters, so some of the story held together very well. But at the same time I felt it was trying a little bit too hard and some of it felt a bit forced. Wierd, but like you noted earlier, very heavy on the spiritual element.
Old 19-09-18, 18:21   #757
ionapaul

@Keane, I wasn't a big fan of Neuromancer either, read it about a year ago and expected to be really blown away but it just didn't grab me at all and my lack of interest meant I found the story increasingly confusing as time went on.

Another book to add to the 'not great' pile is Old Man's War, which I added to my backlog as it was included on a list of the 50 best sci-fi books I found on Good Reads so I assumed it would be decent. It was not. Had to pack it in about 20% of the way in, I don't think I liked anything about it, story was 'meh', I couldn't deal with how American-centric it was, not a fan of the writing style.

Have started Sagan's Contact instead and while it isn't blowing me away either I'm cautiously enjoying it. Gonna re-read Hyperion and the Forever War books afterwards, at least I'm certain I'll enjoy those
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 18:30   #758
Tar.Aldarion

I liked the old mans war books a lot. I do just view them as popcorn reads though.

It's being made into a movie on netflix.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-09-18 at 18:32.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 19:23   #759
Hectorjelly

Neuromancer is one of my favourite books, I have read it about ten times. Just finished in last week and was blown away.... Again.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 21:11   #760
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorjelly View Post
Neuromancer is one of my favourite books, I have read it about ten times. Just finished in last week and was blown away.... Again.
I'll certainly carry on, I'm sure it will grab me again.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games