Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    We seem to have comfortably passed the 'transport' section in the report so I don't think it was an issue.
    What were the bits we struggled on?

Also, you might be the guy who would know about this - I have it in my head that every time one of these big events rolls round there are tonnes of articles about how it ends up costing the hosting country a fortune. Is that the case do you know?

Comment

Some negatives seemed to be
      Venue sizes though they accepted the current venues would be enlarged.
      Venue technologies lagging behind whats needed.
      Hotel room shortage issues (similar to France, But South Africa 'won' here)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        That isn't worth a shite to RWC judges looking at people trying to travel for matches between two cities on a road that is way over capacity and extremely dangerous.

There are about 120 serious accidents a year on that road, it is a deathtrap. Add a bunch of match goers in campers or whatnot driving on the opposite side of the road to what they're used to and I shudder to think what the body count would end up at.
        Ever seen the roads in New Zealand?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Bear in mind the entire report will have been written from a perspective of 'we're picking South Africa, lets come up with scores that justify this'. Not in a corrupt way, but the overall decision to pick SA will have been made before the scores were assigned. Reading too much into the individual scores is probably not worth it.
            Agreed even the ah sure we better not put Ireland last for everything.

Comment

Also, you might be the guy who would know about this - I have it in my head that every time one of these big events rolls round there are tonnes of articles about how it ends up costing the hosting country a fortune. Is that the case do you know?
              I think its one of those impossible to quantify things, you see loads of contradictory figures as to how much was lost or gained. Problem is that you spend lots directly, but only get a portion of it back directly. Theres then some indirect benefits and within here you can basically argue over the figures and manipulate them to get a positive or negative result.
              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 31-10-17, 13:37.

Comment

A surprisingly detailed and well written series on the link between tabloids and trump and what it means for the future.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                    South Africa then Mauritius so 3 weeks in all. Married life is grand so far.
                    Sounds like my old job, enjoy. Get into Port Louis for some proper creole food if you get the chance. Congrats!
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Morning all , how's the ol feet?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                        Morning all , how's the ol feet?
                        my annual run of gout/not gout/mystery foot pain is back with a vengeance.
                        I blame you and the arseholes of express bus for not having a bus after liam gallagher gig in weston.

As an aside, whomever had the bright idea of having a gig in an airfield, in october, need their fucking heads examined.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

What was the problem with it DP? Just curious as a regular user of said airport.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            I blame you and the arseholes of express bus for not having a bus after liam gallagher gig in weston.

As an aside, whomever had the bright idea of having a gig in an airfield, in october, need their fucking heads examined.
                            I got random mystery foot pains too. I can go a couple of months without problems, and then have pain in either foot/ankle for ages too. Anti inflammatories are the only things to keep it under control. I'd struggle to walk otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              The guy who owned that place was buried today.
                              Sorry to hear that but I never knew him Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                What was the problem with it DP? Just curious as a regular user of said airport.
                                Wouldn't be much shelter and she's cauld out
                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                  Ever seen the roads in New Zealand?
                                  I found the roads in NZ quite good. 100kmh speed limit on main roads. Additional sign posts for suggested reduced speed limit coming up to sharper turns.

I drove Auckland to Wellington, Auckland to Hamilton, Queenstown to Dunedin as main routes(probable rugby locations) and then some more mountainous/rural routes around Wanaka, Queenstown, Coromandel, Queen Charlotte route etc. There are some roads down there that are quite daunting but I couldn't fault the quality of the roads.

The routes I described are definitely better than the road Keane mentions imo. The drivers on the other leave a lot to be desired but roads I thought were better.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                    I found the roads in NZ quite good. 100kmh speed limit on main roads. Additional sign posts for suggested reduced speed limit coming up to sharper turns.

I drove Auckland to Wellington, Auckland to Hamilton, Queenstown to Dunedin as main routes(probable rugby locations) and then some more mountainous/rural routes around Wanaka, Queenstown, Coromandel, Queen Charlotte route etc. There are some roads down there that are quite daunting but I couldn't fault the quality of the roads.

The routes I described are definitely better than the road Keane mentions imo. The drivers on the other leave a lot to be desired but roads I thought were better.
                                    I thought they were poor lots of signal lane carriageway even between main cities.

Wikipedia tells me Rep of Ireland has 916km of pure motorway whereas New Zealand has 287km of motorway/dual carriageway.

Comment

I thought they were poor lots of signal lane carriageway even between main cities.

Wikipedia tells me Rep of Ireland has 916km of pure motorway whereas New Zealand has 287km of motorway/dual carriageway.
                                      I cant argue with the numbers to be fair but even Auckland which is deemed by far the worst city for congestion was to me at least nothing in comparison to M50 or the Naas road at peak times.

I would be curious as to the need for multiple lane motorways and carriageways in New Zealand though given the population. Outside of Auckland its quite sparsely populated. The drive from Wellington to Auckland is 650km vs 250km between Dublin and Cork.

I would imagine the sheer volume in NZ is less but couldn't be sure
                                      Last edited by Guest; 31-10-17, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                        I cant argue with the numbers to be fair but even Auckland which is deemed by far the worst city for congestion was to me at least nothing in comparison to M50 or the Naas road at peak times.

I would be curious as to the need for multiple lane motorways and carriageways in New Zealand though given the population. The drive from Wellington to Auckland is 650km vs 250km between Dublin and Cork.

I would imagine the sheer volume in NZ is less but couldn't be sure
                                        The same argument could probably be made for Cork to Limerick as Hitch mentioned above. Not withstanding, Ireland has a better road network overall than a previous host of the Rugby World Cup ie NZ.

Comment

In fairness we have excellent motorway connectivity from Dublin to (nearly) everywhere.

Just with this particular case I presume Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Fitzgerald's Stadium and Thomond would have been three of the big ones and the roads people would have been expected to travel between them on are not good, with the N20 in particular being absolutely crammed and deadly dangerous.

I haven't been keeping track or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fatal accident on it ~every two months.

Comment

Hi guys

for anyone interested in BTC/crypto I created a chat group here
                                            Buy and Sell bitcoin in Ireland with Bitireland Broker Ltd.
                                            www.bitireland.ie

Comment

Hi guys

www.bitireland.ie

Comment

Originally posted by Stoko View Post
                                                Hi guys

https://t.me/btcIreland

Comment

Re RWC bid we obviously fell short in the “hookers supplied to assessors” category

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                    Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                    Wouldn't be much shelter and she's cauld out
                                                    Yup.
                                                    Twas fucking baltic.
                                                    One bar, outdoor jacks, one food van.
                                                    Just poor planning all over the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                      Some stuff off the top of my head. Some of it is obvious, but you never know.

- it's ok to have one or two lines that are specific to your group of lads, but generally, keep away from in jokes as most of the audience won't have a clue, so it'll just be tumbleweed stuff.
                                                      - don't mention past women of his in your speech.
                                                      - most of the speech should be kind of funny, slightly embarrassing but not fairly mild, in parts. The rest of the speech should be sincere compliments to both bride and groom.
                                                      - Have a list of those you want to thank written out.
                                                      - Best to have a few bullet points rather than full speech,but if you aren't confident enough to remember it when you're there, full speech is ok.
                                                      - Don't read most of the time or talk entirely just to your mate, make sure to look around the room. If you appear relaxed, it will actually relax you.
                                                      - Don't tell your mate your speech content, but do go over the generic bits, i.e. whether he doesn't want you to thank people as he wants to thank them only, or to make sure you thank everyone he wants thanked.
                                                      - Some best men think they should be the centre of attention. Don't be that one, but being light and humourous is always preferable for best man.
                                                      - Chill out. As mentioned before, you won't get a more understanding audience. Even if you are a bumbling idiot, no one will care or remember in a few days.
                                                      - Practice it at least once, even if just to roughly time it. If it's longer than 15 mins, it's too long (imo), under 5 too short.
                                                      - There is usually someone from the venue who will tell you when to stand up, and who to introduce next if ye are doing the traditional thing, so you don't need to worry about that generally.

On the present thing, it's up to you what you want to do. I would have just given a slightly larger than normal wedding present to the couple, but if you want to get him something specific too that's all good.
                                                      Some good stuff in there thanks Dom, I'm not one for public speaking and being centre of attention so I'm feeling pretty nervous going into all of this. Do agree about rambling speeches and I've spoken with both the bride & groom and they don't want overly elaborate/long speeches.

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                      Most recent wedding was at the best man lost his speech just before the dinner (he's still. Sticking to that story) and the speech was only a few mins long then cos he didn't know what to say. Was better than most I've seen so can always try that route
                                                      Certainly won't be doing that I'm going to have two print outs of it and a backup on my phone.

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                      Don't mention the ex, don't mention anything overly shady, the time he crapped himself, the time he got arrested, the time he got in a fight with a bouncer and had his nose broken: have heard all of those in best men's speeches and not good.

The audience will want it to be good so if you pause after anything that is meant to be a joke, it will give them time to laugh.

Try not to rush through it, try to learn it or the bullet points rather than read it and don't forget to mention how you are also friends with the bride and she has improved him at the end before toasting them.

Just packing for my honeymoon now and the best man at mine made a cracking speech that was much more compliments and safe territory than trying to be walk the line of hilarious and dangerous.

In other news, I got married on Saturday
                                                      I'm planning to keep it light hearted with no curve balls thrown in. Congratulations on the nuptials.

Vuvuzelas are a soccer thing only aren't they? Don't really recall them being an annoyance in the 95 RWC.
                                                      Lazare made this.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                        I got random mystery foot pains too. I can go a couple of months without problems, and then have pain in either foot/ankle for ages too. Anti inflammatories are the only things to keep it under control. I'd struggle to walk otherwise.
                                                        sounds about right, today pain has been web diagnosed as potentially;
                                                        Chronic Conditions
                                                        Lateral Column Overload
                                                        Acute Conditions
                                                        5th Metatarsal Fracture
                                                        Dancer's Fracture
                                                        Jones Fracture
                                                        Lisfranc Injury / Fracture

been horsing buplex so we have to deal with shitting rocks too

Comment

The same argument could probably be made for Cork to Limerick as Hitch mentioned above. Not withstanding, Ireland has a better road network overall than a previous host of the Rugby World Cup ie NZ.
                                                          As I said I can't argue with the amount of motor and carriageway.
                                                          There is clearly no comparison but given my own personal experience of driving a number of the routes both casually and on match days I thought driving in NZ was completely fine.
                                                          I felt NZ had some very good quality roads, limited congestion with lower speed limits and additional warning signs regarding changes of speed when approaching turns.

I would tend to think that the quantity of motorway doesn't really indicate that one country has a better road network than another but as I previously said I can't argue with the numbers.

Comment

I don't think comparing yourself to the prior host with the worst infrastructure and saying 'we are better' is going to be a winning formula going forward, especially after the glitzy renewal in England 2015.

NZ managed to win the bid largely because of their pre-eminent position in the game, and this was enough to overcome some of their poor stadia and infrastructure. Its a card that only NZ could play.

Comment

I aint a taxi driver so its still time to buy
                                                              www.bitireland.ie

Comment

I don't think comparing yourself to the prior host with the worst infrastructure and saying 'we are better' is going to be a winning formula going forward, especially after the glitzy renewal in England 2015.

NZ managed to win the bid largely because of their pre-eminent position in the game, and this was enough to overcome some of their poor stadia and infrastructure. Its a card that only NZ could play.
                                                                I was comparing one facet of the bid as it was earlier said to be the main stumbling block which isn't true. It would appear Ireland lost most points relatively on "venues" which is probably more than fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                  Was watching this previously and reading some of the opinions and thought of your post. Might be of something of interest, might not....

https://theintercept.com/2017/10/29/...his-halloween/
                                                                  Good read for sure.

Subsequently since I posted above about debating your man he has unfriended me on Facebook, we're still in a private groupchat that his brother started.

With the revelations of the indictment yesterday I opened up the chat to see what he had been writing and it was comical to see the stuff he's just lapping up all the Fox News stuff with Clinton and Uranium One hook line and sinker all I can think of is "no puppet, no puppet, you're the puppet"

My main point is about Trump just being an absolutely awful person & will more than likely go down as a terrible President, collusion or no collusion.
                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Was decent set up to be fair with top half of the stage in in the hanger and tent over the rest. Had free tickets to the one on Saturday night, young ones and their take on Halloween outfits �� also most of the youngsters were at the vodka bar so the beer queue was relatively short. Gig was pretty shit tho and left early to miss traffic
                                                                    Last edited by ghostface; 31-10-17, 15:42.

Comment

Comment

I aint a taxi driver so its still time to buy

Pretty sure you wnat a taxi driver to be interested in a currency.

Comment

Wouldnt like to be updating this in a few hours!

Halloween related incidents reported to 999/112. The icon is the general location. Times are approximate. All fires will be assessed, but not necessarily extinguished if they do not represent a danger to life or property. Incidents may be excluded for operational reasons

Comment

Hi guys

https://t.me/btcIreland
                                                                            Create one for butter.
                                                                            "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                            "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Think its important to have the new road just to counter the impression that Dublin gets everything..
                                                                              You can take the man out of Clare.
                                                                              "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                              "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Yup.
                                                                                Twas fucking baltic.
                                                                                One bar, outdoor jacks, one food van.
                                                                                Just poor planning all over the shop.
                                                                                A new venue is always a concern. They never get it right first time
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

I wore a tracksuit under my clothes in the Aviva one year . My friends laughed then shivered. I was toasty and drunk. Never go to outdoor events post Sept withoutyer thermals DP.

Me feet are flying it. Sitting down ftw

Comment

sounds about right, today pain has been web diagnosed as potentially;
                                                                                    Chronic Conditions
                                                                                    Lateral Column Overload
                                                                                    Acute Conditions
                                                                                    5th Metatarsal Fracture
                                                                                    Dancer's Fracture
                                                                                    Jones Fracture
                                                                                    Lisfranc Injury / Fracture

been horsing buplex so we have to deal with shitting rocks too
                                                                                    If you eat a bit of porridge in the morning put some cinnamon on the top of it
                                                                                    It will work well for u instead of the usual anti inflammatory tablets they give u
                                                                                    I’m a diabetic and it helps me when the old pins play up

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                        Wouldnt like to be updating this in a few hours!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...127829585&z=12
                                                                                        Not one bon fire in Coolock.

Things over there have gone to shit since I moved to the Southside

Comment

Suspect terror attack in New York city, 6 dead and at least 15 injured. World is Fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                                            Suspect terror attack in New York city, 6 dead and at least 15 injured. World is Fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                              Not one bon fire in Coolock.

Things over there have gone to shit since I moved to the Southside
                                                                                              Like Beiruit outside now
                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Mia and friend came back to empty the trick or treat bags, both horrified that somebody popped a mandrin orange in lol!

it really was a WTF moment
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Drop me a PM Sat Nav I've got a sale for you if there's any deals going
                                                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                    Mia and friend came back to empty the trick or treat bags, both horrified that somebody popped a mandrin orange in lol!

it really was a WTF moment
                                                                                                    I usually use 'do you want chocolate or vegetables?' on some of the youngest trick or treaters, then pretend I've misheard their answer and say 'wait there, I've got some lovely boiled cabbage and broccoli for you'. Look of horror does be a sight to behold followed by relief when they realise it was a joke.

Comment

I've always wanted to give annoying holloweeners sprouts dipped in chocolate but lack the killer instinct and am generally too lazy

Comment

What were the Tories thinking putting together a spreadsheet of their biggest sex pests? Like thats surely always leaking. BoJo of course makes the list.
                                                                                                        Is there a non redacted version out now?
                                                                                                        Pretty sure Boris is the one who got a researcher pregnant and made her have an abortion-refused to pay for it too according to private eye

Comment

What were the bits we struggled on?

I've idea what the actual reality is, but I've a feeling that some hack looks at the government spending vrs gate receipts and contributions and declares that it costs $2b or whatever.
                                                                                                          Overlooking the benefit to the economy, and the fact that that they get to keep the shiny new stadiums.

Comment

Best year ever was the one I bought a bag of Durian flavoured sweets in the Asia Market and mixed them in with lots of other ones. They were truly vile.
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                              I've idea what the actual reality is, but I've a feeling that some hack looks at the government spending vrs gate receipts and contributions and declares that it costs $2b or whatever.
                                                                                                              Overlooking the benefit to the economy, and the fact that that they get to keep the shiny new stadiums.
                                                                                                              If building a load of shiny new stadiums was going to be a good economic decision why bother waiting for a world cup.

A lot of the infrastructure Brazil built for the Olympics is completely abandoned.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    Best year ever was the one I bought a bag of Durian flavoured sweets in the Asia Market and mixed them in with lots of other ones. They were truly vile.
                                                                                                                    Was in Thailand for easter. Hotel had a sign up saying "no durian fruit allowed in hotel" - I asked and was told it pungent
                                                                                                                    Yet, they sold on stands everywhere. Went to a market on the last night, about an hour before we had to fly, grabbed some hot food and a chuck of durian fruit. God is was vile, so bad, that I think it must have been a rotten piece. Caught between in a rock and a hard place now, as sure it couldn’t be that bad, but no way im trying it again incase it is.

If building a load of shiny new stadiums was going to be a good economic decision why bother waiting for a world cup.

A lot of the infrastructure Brazil built for the Olympics is completely abandoned.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/abando...-unoccupied-16
                                                                                                                    Billions of dollars in contributions and revenue coms to mind.
                                                                                                                    A good tip would be not using Rio as the model for success.
                                                                                                                    How are London’s venues doing? On longer terms, 17 years later, Sydney’s Olympic arenas are holding events (sports, concerts, exhibitions) constantly.

Comment

We made an impulsive decision last night to go to Vegas; currently sitting in the Bellagio.

Comment

How are London’s venues doing? On longer terms, 17 years later, Sydney’s Olympic arenas are holding events (sports, concerts, exhibitions) constantly.
                                                                                                                        London is hardly a fair comparison. We don't fill the stadiums we have regularly enough
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

If you end up billions ahead due to contributions and revenue then you end up billions ahead, no need for further discussion.

Just googling 'abandoned Olympic venues' brings up a lot more than just Rio, but it's good to hear London and Sydney still get use out of the infrastructure they built.

I just thought your line about keeping the shiny new stadiums sounds like digging a hole to set a load of money on fire in but at the end at least you still have the hole.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X