Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    So I've been with this new company just over a year. Until recently it's been great working here. Genuinely happier in this role than I have been in a long time.

The last month however, things have been a bit hectic...
    Unless there's a notable downside to going and having a chat with him I would certainly consider it.

EDIT: Also; that sucks man. I know you'll find something new soon but finding a good fit and having someone else fuck it up is really frustrating.
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Just amazing
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Definitely have your say, the injustice will eat at you for years if you dont. Hard to come back from this though for both you and company
        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Before you vent Mellor ask yourself the hard questions.

1. Could you have done anything yourself to prevent the situation as it was developing.

2. Is there anything to be gained by having it out with your former bosses.

3. Do you think you’ll require a reference from these guys in the future.

At this juncture I’d say be as professional as you can and meet with the management to discuss a smooth transition so during your last days weeks with them you leave a good feeling/appreciation of your ethic. Do not part on bad terms.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
            Honestly, how else were people using cheese graters? Feel like I'm missing something here, the gif shows the most obvious use ever, no?
            Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
            I'm with Paul on this. I've always used it sideways too. We have other ones that attach to a plastic bowl, so it's always sideways for me!
            I used the flat one on it's side, but the other one I always used upright and holding the handle. But we always buy grated cheese anyway

Comment

While we discussing work issues, I have a little worry about the Company I am a currently a director for. If there is anyone that can talk to me (Via PM) about issues that could arise if the company closes (voluntarily) I would appreciate it.

I technically finish full time with them on Monday, but I am still on as a Director and have had some information in the last 12 hours that has me worried.
              I know there are a few here that are or have been a director, so would really appreciate if someone could pop me a message, thanks

Comment

So I've been with this new company just over a year. Until recently it's been great working here. Genuinely happier in this role than I have been in a long time.

The last month however, things have been a bit hectic. We've been under pressure and have made some mistakes. I got the impression the boss (and his partner the other boss) were unhappy with us.
                The guy in charge of reporting back in more senior than me, but less experienced in most areas (bar software). We'll call him John - he's close to 40 and I think they didn't realise he was only a few years out of uni when he was hired.
                We collectively (3 people) let a deadline slip. But the work John did for this part was was terrible, about 50% complete and a mess. We actually couldn't fix it and the 3 of us had to re-do the entire thing over the last 4 days.
                On the morning of the 4th day, I was called in to have a chat with the bosses. I assumed they had some questions about what John had done. Nope. They said that they don't have the work in the pipeline to keep me and John on. And unfortunately I'm being made redundant.
                Meanwhile, they are interviewing people this week. Including today. I genuinely feel like I've been fucked under the bus, or something to that effect. I've been made redundant before, and left positions after a 3 month trial period due to it not working. But this feel different, I'm genuinely distraught over this. Not sure if I go back to the boss and try to have a conversation with him. Or if I just suck it up and move on .
                That really sucks Mellor. I would try and have a conversation with him if it was me. I am in a similarish situation, but can't post the story here as I am scared that it would be found (yes I am paranoid)

What positions are the interviewing for? is it your role with a different name?

Comment

The last month however, things have been a bit hectic. We've been under pressure and have made some mistakes. I got the impression the boss (and his partner the other boss) were unhappy with us.
                  The guy in charge of reporting back in more senior than me, but less experienced in most areas (bar software). We'll call him John - he's close to 40 and I think they didn't realise he was only a few years out of uni when he was hired.
                  We collectively (3 people) let a deadline slip. But the work John did for this part was was terrible, about 50% complete and a mess. We actually couldn't fix it and the 3 of us had to re-do the entire thing over the last 4 days.
                  On the morning of the 4th day, I was called in to have a chat with the bosses. I assumed they had some questions about what John had done. Nope. They said that they don't have the work in the pipeline to keep me and John on. And unfortunately I'm being made redundant.
                  Meanwhile, they are interviewing people this week. Including today. I genuinely feel like I've been fucked under the bus, or something to that effect. I've been made redundant before, and left positions after a 3 month trial period due to it not working. But this feel different, I'm genuinely distraught over this. Not sure if I go back to the boss and try to have a conversation with him. Or if I just suck it up and move on .
                  Ugh sorry to hear that. I know Excactly how you feel. Remeber when I was working for the newspaper company a few yrs back and the same more or less happened me. I was actually in bits over it, like really bad. So bad I wanted to slash the bosses tyres as I really felt like I was Fucked over bad!

However look at me now with sky never been happier. Everything happens for a reason.

I wouldn't bother my hole going saying anything, their loss and your gonna be someone else's gain.

You will get something else and good luck to you
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

@mellor

I would go and have the chat to find out but I would be going in with a mindset of finding out how to avoid it happening again rather than to plead for my job.

2 reasons

1- it’s unlikely they will reverse the descision - based on overall industry here not the your specific company albeit

2- they will be more impressed by you aiming to take learning point away and it will be a much more positive conversation and it’s where you want the conversation to be in terms of tone if you are going to reverse the descision.

Personally I would just want to know where I stand, how they appraised my performance and basically know why I’m being let go.

Do be prepared for your boss not to want to do it and hide behind it being a HR issue. Some people can’t handle having these talks

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Posted a good while ago about a problematic mexican colleague who seemed to be having mental problems. Well it's escalated dramatically.

He had a meeting last week with the top bossman and told him 'I know you planted the chip in my head that's controlling me'. He was telling me yesterday that he feels that a gay Frenchman is inside his head and when he's talking this person keeps trying to take over his voice.

Seriously and highly disturbingly ill. I presume at least paranoid delusion, but seems definite hints of schizophrenia too. Am obv in no place to diagnose anyone though.

Have never seen this type of thing before. They're trying to work out what to do now as a lot of people have expressed serious concern about him (both concern about his well-being and actually being a bit afraid for our own welfare tbh).

A practical issue is that, under local law, you can't make someone go to the doctor. He told me when I tentatively suggested it (shouldn't have done that as he instantly switched to anger), that he won't touch a doctor as they're part of the mindchip controlling people. They spoke to the psychiatric unit and they said their hands are tied on how they can engage unless he turns violent.

There's zero element of exaggeration in what I've said he said. There's a tonne more stuff too all highly disturbing. Very sad situation. Apparently a common enough reason for this type of thing is an undiagnosed brain tumor. Which would explain the pain he was describing perhaps and the escalation. Going to follow the chickenshit advice of a colleagues psychiatrist doctor friend who said: stay the fck away and don't draw his attention.
                      As someone who had to deal with a similar case years back, don't post this stuff on the internet.

Went legal after some nasty stuff (including unprovoked violence). Be careful....
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                        I technically finish full time with them on Monday, but I am still on as a Director and have had some information in the last 12 hours that has me worried.
                        I know there are a few here that are or have been a director, so would really appreciate if someone could pop me a message, thanks
                        Unless you are waiting for a payoff, resign as a director immediately and pass on any information you have to whoever is the appropriate sink for it.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Just amazing
                          Jesus. But for a quirk of fate I'd probably be living the States right now, almost stayed for good after 4.5 years in California in the early 00s. I quite often find myself realising how happy I am that I came back to Ireland, the older I get the more I think the positives of my potential life in the States (and they were considerable) are probably outweighed by the negatives, even in somewhere as sane as the liberal West Coast.

I'm sure there's some element of cognitive bias to this reassuring realisation, but even so - damn is America one fucked up place!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Unless you are waiting for a payoff, resign as a director immediately and pass on any information you have to whoever is the appropriate sink for it.
                            +1 for this. I just found out and it's a resignation issue for me, with notification to responsible function head and chairperson, is an optimal strategy for this nearly every time.

If it's end of the company stuff - you could try resigning the directorship but not as an employee and just toughing it out for a short while.

Comment

I've been exactly where you are man.
                              As long as you are sure all of your ducks are in a row, there is no harm having a frank and honest "exit interview" with them.
                              Admittedly there is a fine balancing line between stating your case and what can be seen as bitter finger pointing but it'll drive you batty if you dont. I did one on my way out of my last place, not torching bridges and salting the earth but it was cathartic if nothing else.
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                As someone who had to deal with a similar case years back, don't post this stuff on the internet.

Went legal after some nasty stuff (including unprovoked violence). Be careful....
                                You have to imagine a paranoid mind would easily be able to find this line of conversation which would only feed into paranoia.

Comment

And Nigerians are scammers, Muslims are savages and all Asian people are good at maths.

It's a fucking jokeshop Mick, you cannot run for president of a country by attacking an already marginalized section of it's people.
                                  He's a barstool populist and the sooner he's ostracized the better imo.
                                  "He's speaking his mind" and "saying what we are all thinking" is what I honestly expect to hear over the next few days.
                                  There was vacuum of this brand of populism in Ireland. I guess we have caught up now
                                  Casey has suspended his campaign.

Comment

Did he even really have one to begin with? This is the most non existent ref/election of all time.

Comment

I do not want the people of Ireland to elect me as President of Ireland just based on one statement I made.

I want to be of service, and make a real difference. I have the expertise and ability to be an influencer. I want to connect people, at home and abroad.

I know that my world experience and global views will make me a uniquely suitable candidate for President of Ireland – with drive, ability and energy.
                                      What a bellend.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

He'll still be on the balot regardless at this point and i doubt he'll finish bottom.

Tbf he's added some entertainment to an otherwise non event of a presedential race.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

You have to imagine a paranoid mind would easily be able to find this line of conversation which would only feed into paranoia.
                                            Ramiriquez would have sent a link to the Rennes School of Tricky Maths all-staff account at this stage.

Comment

UL Mellor but, silver lining, if they are as thick as that then you're better off moving on!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                What a bellend.
                                                I've got my publicity, I'll be off.
                                                airport, lol

Comment

In case anyone here is a fan of Stephen Malkmus(I had never heard of him), I have 2 freeeeee spare tickets for his gig tonight in vicar street so let me know asap if you want them.
                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

That's bad leadership in your place Mellor, if anything goes topsy turvy here for somebody the head honcho will sit down and talk with people, find out what is really happening and solve any issues. They often act preemptively too and check in on how things are going. I can imagine a good few people would have been let go if they'd not had the boss chat to them, sort things out and have had things turn around due to it. They are shockingly clued in to peoples personal lives or emotions around the office. These guys never even spoke to you, who wants that crap?

If he had to say that they "don't have more work for you going forward" or something they probably have some reason to avoid actually saying that you are let go for bad performance, some labour laws or something and may not have that chat with you, but ask.

Comment

Was jsut reading that Beyond Meat are doing an IPO, and I'd buy some https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/beyo...s-for-ipo.html

Was wondering, are there any ethical based ETFs? Or how does one go about particular lines of investment like that?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                        In case anyone here is a fan of Stephen Malkmus(I had never heard of him), I have 2 freeeeee spare tickets for his gig tonight in vicar street so let me know asap if you want them.
                                                        Somebody should take these!

Comment

Anyone who got the joke in the stock photo of the girl working on a PC i posted the other day will appreciate what happens at 16s in Banksy's video... I think I can see where it all went wrong

Comment

AH poll has Peter casey at 53%. Yes we can!

Comment

Gavin Duffy lowest 1st preference at evs is a steal Shirley

Comment

16/1 Casey in the without Higgins market seems huge.
                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                  Was jsut reading that Beyond Meat are doing an IPO, and I'd buy some https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/beyo...s-for-ipo.html

Was wondering, are there any ethical based ETFs? Or how does one go about particular lines of investment like that?
                                                                  Yep there would be. Would have started out as no arms/tobacco but there's probably vegan ones at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Anyone who got the joke in the stock photo of the girl working on a PC i posted the other day will appreciate what happens at 16s in Banksy's video... I think I can see where it all went wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxkwRNIZgdY
                                                                    Not how you use a soldering iron?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      Unless your fingers are made of asbestos!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                        The iron is probably not hot enough if he has his hands there

also, wire could/would have moved when picture lifted and the joint is not fixed to anything

Although it could easily be analog SP seeing that the motor is not the correct model for driving that particular type of etc etc

*Don't dilly dally when replying to something as SP never leaves stuff long before answering his own questions
                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 19-10-18, 13:15. Reason: *

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                          16/1 Casey in the without Higgins market seems huge.
                                                                          cut to 12's

Comment

Essential Brexit reading.

Demolishes all the bullshit that the UK has been selectively deluding itself with.

Comment

Looks like it was just recorded after it was already made, soldering iron clearly not turned on, there is nothing to solder there anyway and it's all connected already, blades that are just for decorative purposes, they don't do the shredding. perhaps he enjoyed trolling people with the video too.

Comment

Trump whinging that he can't get away with having journos hacked to pieces with a bone saw... yet.

Comment

Sister got into a law masters and is finishing off her diploma today, running alongside her job.

Brother got published in Foreign Policy which is pretty cool as I read it for some time now https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/18...ats-militarism

Meanwhile I'm like looking at cat gifs and soldering irons at work.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-10-18, 14:26.

Comment

What the fuck is wrong with the courts in this country?

Maybe it was settled out of court, but still, how someone gets money for gross stupidity is astounding.
                                                                                    Last edited by 6starpool; 19-10-18, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                      What the fuck is wrong with the courts in this country?

Maybe it was settled out of court, but still, how someone gets money for gross stupidity is astounding.
                                                                                      Honestly, stories like this make me wonder what the hell is going to happen with my dads case.
                                                                                      Seems an insane settlement

Comment

Moving back to my apartment tomorrow. What is the best WiFi broadband (fast and cheap out there) along with TV subscription? Probably just want sports, as use netflex for movies etc.
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                          Moving back to my apartment tomorrow. What is the best WiFi broadband (fast and cheap out there) along with TV subscription? Probably just want sports, as use netflex for movies etc.
                                                                                          virgin is generally the best but their routers are pants
                                                                                          no real need for a tv subscription if you have decent broadband

Comment

Have virgin TV and wifi, the horizon boxes are pretty shite to deal with but the wifi is great. I'd be streaming a game and missus on Netflix at the same time along with phones and whatever else connected and never had any issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                              No interest here so have given them away elsewhere
                                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

virgin is generally the best but their routers are pants
                                                                                                no real need for a tv subscription if you have decent broadband
                                                                                                What you mean routers are pants?
                                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I see Kleenex are having to rebrand their "Man-Size" tissues to "Extra Large" after complaints.

They really should bring back those Yorkie ads just to annoy people.

Comment

What you mean routers are pants?
                                                                                                    I'm not a fan of the horizon box router is all.
                                                                                                    For generally home use, it's fine.

Comment

I can do tv broadband sports for 75 e
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                        I see Kleenex are having to rebrand their "Man-Size" tissues to "Extra Large" after complaints.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Now this seems like bolloxology on a par with our national tantrum after a certain soccer match....

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yorkies are a shadow of their former selves, they used to be huge. I'm glad I've seen the last of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                              Now this seems like bolloxology on a par with our national tantrum after a certain soccer match....
                                                                                                              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                  Yorkies are a shadow of their former selves, they used to be huge. I'm glad I've seen the last of them.
                                                                                                                  You were smaller.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

lol Hitch
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Sweet.Mother.Of.All.Things.Holy.

That is why I never watch the Late Late, only flicked over as mate is in the choir who were doing back up.

That was the cringiest fucking thing I've ever fucking seen. Seriously, my licence fee pays for that shit

Comment

Anyone else binging!!!

The Haunting of Hill House
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X