Another Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Log

In the last ~two weeks I've just starting doing proper lifts for the first time. I haven't had any coaching yet so will put up some videos that will most likely be torn apart

I came across the 5x5 program so I'm going to follow that for at least the 12 weeks. I've put in what I've done recently into their spread sheet and this is the program it's spitting out.

I haven't done a press before, and I just did the row for the first session yesterday so put in min numbers for them. My squat is atrocious tbh need to work on my flexibility, but doing it every day certainly should help. I'm going to double check tomorrow but I'm taking the squat/deadlift bars as 15kgs and the bench press one as 20kgs.

That's an ugly format so here's what the first few weeks look like in excel

Day 1 23-Jul-2014

Warm-up
    5mins Bike 13R, 2km
    500m Row 1.55ish (needs work imo)

Squat
    5x3 bar
    5x5 35kgs

Ok, did it fine, form needs improvement though, and I'm leaning forward. I recorded it but the file seemed to get corrupted when I played it back on my phone, will give it another go tomorrow and post it up.

Bench
    3x5 Bar
    5x5 40kgs

Row
    5x5 40kgs

Did slightly higher here than what the plan says just for the convenience of the weights and was all fine/easy anyway.

Finished off with some pull-ups and 20kg db chest presses

I'm going to see how I get on with the B session tomorrow and might adjust the inputs into the excel.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 28-07-14, 13:56.

Good luck with this Shane. More than happy to take a look at some videos via PM fwiw if you like.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
      Good luck with this Shane. More than happy to take a look at some videos via PM fwiw if you like.
      Thanks will definitely do that

Day 2

Warm-up
      5mins Bike
      500m Row
      Feeling stiff so really should start doing some stretches.

Squat
      5x5 bar
      5x5 35kgs

SPOILER

I think the last two were the best but still not getting deep enough imo

Overhead Press
      5x5 Bar
      5x5 15kg

I weighed the bar in between the press and deadlift and it was only 10kgs, so I had only did 15 instead of the 20 I should have.

Deadlift

5x40
      5x60
      5x90
      Last edited by Denny Crane; 26-07-14, 15:45.

Comment

Best of look with this looking forward to seen your progress.
        Few quick questions what height are you?? Age?? Have you ever played a sport at a high level of any kind. What is your goal with the training??

Comment

Get on your heels, you're putting the pressure on your toes leaning into the squat. Sit right back into it on the balls of your feet. The basic guideline given is not to let your knees go past your toes. Practice at home or whatever aswell, I used to put my back against the wall at the start and try to stay down for a few minutes. Try curling your toes while squatting aswell.

I wouldn't be in a rush to move on from 5x5, for a beginner I reckon there's a good 6-12 months of big improvements with the programme. Still on it myself around 9 months now but a bit on and off, only getting to they gym once a week or so.
          Last edited by bohsman; 26-07-14, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
            Few quick questions what height are you??
            I think I'm 5'10" so probably 5'9".

Have you ever played a sport at a high level of any kind.
            Kinda, I did compete nationally and internationally at some things but it was more endurance/technical, it's my first time at anything like this.

What is your goal with the training??
            Catch up with Lloyd

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
            Get on your heels, you're putting the pressure on your toes leaning into the squat. Sit right back into it on the balls of your feet. The basic guideline given is not to let your knees go past your toes. Practice at home or whatever aswell, I used to put my back against the wall at the start and try to stay down for a few minutes. Try curling your toes while squatting aswell.
            Thanks, yeah I was trying to work on that, I was coming completely off my heels the previous day.

Comment

On the viddy.

Squat in a pair of flat footwear. Converse or something similar.
              Normal jogging runners are very hard to squat in especially when you have poor ankle mobility. It looks like you do (I'm the same!).

As you mentioned, you are a little stiff and need to work on flexibility. Bring in some foam rolling, couch stretching, pistols and pigeon stretch into your warm up and it will help alot.

The weight seems like no issue to you, just form. Keep practising, taking videos and try to progress to this posture in a.

Last edited by RoadSweeper; 26-07-14, 16:43.

Comment

Looks like you need to work on your flexibility. Should get some great exercises for your ankle here.

Going by your form, if I was you I wouldn't be rushing to far ahead with the weight increases. Your main priority should be getting more flexible and getting the technique of the squat, and other exercises, learned well.

Comment

Don't mean to interrupt thread but does anyone have any advice on how to correct form from pic b above? I always round my back at end of squat and coukdnt reverse it so stopped squatting

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                    Don't mean to interrupt thread but does anyone have any advice on how to correct form from pic b above? I always round my back at end of squat and coukdnt reverse it so stopped squatting
                    Something I've never had an issue with tbh but I think getting your elbows in line with the bar should force you to straighten your back. I always just do as big a superman chest as I can on the way down and that gets me through. Such a good exercise definitely worth fixing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                      One very good tip I got was to squeeze the bar tight. This forces you to retract the shoulder blades which helps in keeping a better position. Other than that just focusing on keeping a big chest, weight on the back of the feet and pushing the knees out when coming back up.

If the above form is due to bad posture from desk-jockeying you will need to work on t-spine mobility. I sit at a desk for ridiculous hours every day which has led to major hip and t-spine mobility issues for me.

One place I really notice this is push presses and military presses (pretty much any overhead pressing movement). A good way to test is to put your two feet together put your hands straight overhead with palms facing inwards and sit back into a squat type position.

Something like:

The straighter up your arms can go the better t-spine mobility you have.

The easiest way to start working on it is with a foam roller:

Forgot how to embed videos:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I don't do 30 seconds, i do about 10 rolls, then starting at the bottom of the t-spine, hangout on the foam roller and let the top of my back sag over it while keeping neck and hips neutral. You'll usually get alot of juicy cracks doing this. Then move up bit by bit til you've done your whole back. Can also put your hands straight behind you and camp out on whatever section of your t-spine you're working on and get a buddy to start pushing your hands to the floor and staying in that position for 30-60s. This can also be done using an olympic bar or a plate but it's easier with someone else helping.

That's the 101 for beginners which I have been doing religiously for a few weeks now, but Youtube has tons of other t-spine mobilisation videos you can watch and pick w/e ones you like. I'm sure Kstarr has loads on his mobilitywod too.
                      Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Good luck with this dude.

If you want to get some advice in person feel free to pop up to Ballymun gym and I'll show you the main lifts.

Comment

I went for a run for the first time in years on Sun. I had mapped out 2km and thought I might have started off at too strong of a pace but actually ended up feeling comfortable enough to do a second loop which ended up being 3.6km total. I must time it next time.

Plan is to do 5x5 Mon,Wed,Fri, run Sat or Sun. I have to adjust the excel for the dates and for starting the BP at 40kg.

Day 3 28/7/14

Warm-up
                          5mins Bike
                          Foam Rolling
                          Stretches
                          500m Row

Squat
                          5x5 bar
                          5x5 37.5kgs

Bench
                          5x5 Bar
                          5x5 42.5kgs

Row
                          5x5 Bar
                          5x5 42.5kgs

I wore a pair of converse, did some stretches and work without the bar to try and improve my squat position. It was better, more towards the end, but still a long way to go yet, I'll put up another video after a couple more sessions.

Is it worth getting a pair of something like Adipowers? I hope to keep at this for the long haul.
                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 28-07-14, 16:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                            Good luck with this dude.

If you want to get some advice in person feel free to pop up to Ballymun gym and I'll show you the main lifts.
                            Thanks, very generous! I'll pop up some weekend soon.

Comment

Just take off your runners
                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                Is it worth getting a pair of something like Adipowers? I hope to keep at this for the long haul.
                                Most definitely. I refuse to squat without my Romaleos.

Comment

GL with this Shane. Happy to give any help I can with mobility, form prep etc.

Deadlift starting weight seems a bit high. Its normally biggest lift but 90kg is out out of proportion with the rest. The spreadsheet will have you aiming for double body weight at the start of week 8, thats very early imo. Starting high with not much room to progress will slow you down long term.

I think it’s worked out as half your 1RM of 179kg.
                                  179kg is a massive 1RM starting out. Did you do the 20 reps of 95kg in a single set or multiple sets?

I’d look into some sort of lifting shoes if you aim to keep at it. I’m glad I bought my Reebok Olys.
                                  If you have $200 then Adipowers are the top end. But Adidas Power Perfects are midrange and perfectly fine too.
                                  There’s a lot more options than even 2 years ago.
                                  Last edited by Mellor; 29-07-14, 01:39.

Comment

Couple of quick pointers.

1 - The bar weighs 20kg if it's a 7footer (Olympic bar). I'd be confident that the one in your video of you squatting is a 20kg bar.

2 - Squatting is about moving your weight downwards and backwards. The bar shouldn't move forward at all. This is a strange feeling for most people as they bend forward at the ankles instead of keeping a straight shin and letting the knees and hips do the flexing. Concentrate on two things.
                                    1 - Keeping the area of your chest which would have a Superman logo on it perpendicular to the ground. This forces you to sit upright into the squat and you will lose balance if you're bending at the ankle. It is aided by keeping your shoulders tight. (@Feetmagic)
                                    2 - Keep your weight almost totally between your heels and the external edges (left left, right right) of your feet. You should be able to squat with your toes touching the ceiling of of your shoes. Try starting a bodyweight squat (no bar) with your toes off the ground, and try to grind into that form of sticking your arse backwards (pivot at hips) as the initial movement.

Would echo what Mellor says, I would have thought that 95kg is going to be far too much for a Deadlift relative to other lifts. I'd be starting closer to 40kgs. Deadlift form is essential, learn the movement while lifting the weight, don't try and learn it while testing the weight. Could you post a video of you doing the trial (bit in the first table) for the deadlift maybe?

Re: shoes, I don't have anything special. Used to squat in a pair of rubbish plimsoles and that seemed fine. Will have to replace my own training footwear soon so might get something like the above. For beginners I think it's overthinking though. (All the gear...)

GLGL and get addicted.

Comment

I'd agree with the points about the weight being very high on the deadlifts. Also if your struggling with flexibility with the squat then chances are you're having the same problems for the deadlift so be careful lifting heavy(for a beginner) if you're form isn't great.

On the shoes - I use my regular runners. I've had no problems with them and it's not something that affects my lift. In future when the weight gets bigger then equipment will make a difference bu as Emmet said I wouldn't worry about it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        If you have $200 then Adipowers are the top end. But Adidas Power Perfects are midrange and perfectly fine too.
                                        Sorry yeah it was the much more reasonable Power Perfects I was looking at getting not the Adipowers.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

1 - The bar weighs 20kg if it's a 7footer (Olympic bar). I'd be confident that the one in your video of you squatting is a 20kg bar.
                                        There's a much larger bar in the other rack in the gym that I was presuming was an Olympic bar (HJ is in the same gym, he probably knows better than me), I'd be surprised if the one I'm using is 20kg, I'll weigh it tomorrow.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        Deadlift starting weight seems a bit high. Its normally biggest lift but 90kg is out out of proportion with the rest. The spreadsheet will have you aiming for double body weight at the start of week 8, thats very early imo. Starting high with not much room to progress will slow you down long term.

I think it’s worked out as half your 1RM of 179kg.
                                        179kg is a massive 1RM starting out. Did you do the 20 reps of 95kg in a single set or multiple sets?
                                        Would echo what Mellor says, I would have thought that 95kg is going to be far too much for a Deadlift relative to other lifts. I'd be starting closer to 40kgs. Deadlift form is essential, learn the movement while lifting the weight, don't try and learn it while testing the weight. Could you post a video of you doing the trial (bit in the first table) for the deadlift maybe?
                                        Yeah there's no way my 1rm is anything like that. I did the 20 reps in multiple sets, if I change it 5 reps in the excel it brings the starting weight down to 47.5, and 132.5 by week 12. Tbh I didn't put much thought into it, that's what I was comfortable doing and probably the one I enjoyed doing most . I'll post a video, and if form is anything as bad as my squat I've no excuses not to cut it back.
                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-07-14, 11:54.

Comment

Seriously don't waste $200 on runners for just squatting etc. Barefoot is the best. It's like saying Adidas predators will make you better at football. People are just idiots.

Although I do my running in these, would also go barefoot if possible

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                            Seriously don't waste $200 on runners for just squatting etc. Barefoot is the best. It's like saying Adidas predators will make you better at football. People are just idiots.

Although I do my running in these, would also go barefoot if possible

$200 is the top end. You can get lifting shoes for half that and less.
                                            Barefoot is only good if you have the ankle mobility. But I say your best to fix that directly, rather than bypassing it with lifting shoes.

Comment

To say that people that spend $200 + on lifting shoes are idiots is complete ignorance. And the comparison you made with the predators makes no sense as the lifting shoes have an elevated heel which has a benefit. You don't spend the money just because theyre called lifting shoes or because theyre the new cool thing.

I bought the mid range adidas ones when I first started out. If I was to go back I would definitely invest in the adi powers, It all depends on how much you plan to use them. They are really light and comfortable which I find great for Oly Lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by drive56 View Post
                                                To say that people that spend $200 + on lifting shoes are idiots is complete ignorance. And the comparison you made with the predators makes no sense as the lifting shoes have an elevated heel which has a benefit. You don't spend the money just because theyre called lifting shoes or because theyre the new cool thing.

I bought the mid range adidas ones when I first started out. If I was to go back I would definitely invest in the adi powers, It all depends on how much you plan to use them. They are really light and comfortable which I find great for Oly Lifting.
                                                Try lifting barefoot for a week and you will see. It's some freakonomics stuff

As pointed out if you have some serious ankle issues then maybe but to recommend them to someone starting out it's insane.

Gl with the log

Comment

[/IMG]
                                                  Completely and utterly wrong. You are seriously underestimating the benefits of squat shoes.

Denny, have a read of this and make up your own mind.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/W...tingShoes.html

Comment

Try lifting barefoot for a week and you will see. It's some freakonomics stuff

As pointed out if you have some serious ankle issues then maybe but to recommend them to someone starting out it's insane.

Gl with the log

I'm completely aboard with the benefits of training barefoot tbh, strengthening feet etc. I train barefoot a lot with grappling/mma.
                                                    I run in minimal drop (4mm) runners. I’ll never buy vibrams though, it’s the toes.
                                                    And as for lifting, I always deadlift barefoot (or in socks). I only squat and do oly lifts in my shoes, purely because I lift better in them.

Of course you don’t need the shoes, as long as you have the mobility it’s possible to squat barefoot – easier if its PL/high bar style. But you are completely wrong to dismiss lifting shoes as novelty. I think a beginner going for $200 Adistars is silly, but the entry level ones are a similar to price other footwear.

You’ve used a pretty bad example there in Arnie. Strong as fook of course. But openly not great at squatting. In that pic, his knees are collapsing inwards, and he is squatting high (on purpose to focus the work on his quads). If you look at his earlier training, he did full squats. Notice his heels.

Comment

Day 4 30/7/14

Warm-up
                                                      5mins Bike
                                                      Stretches
                                                      500m Row

Squat
                                                      5x5 bar
                                                      3x5 40kgs

Bah, form felt awful, and I was feeling a lot of strain on my knees so stopped and worked on using just bodyweight. Really going to work on this tomorrow.
                                                      I did 2x7 173kg leg presses to try and make up for the missing sets.

Press
                                                      5x5 Bar
                                                      5x5 20kgs

Messed up a lot here I thought the plan was for 92.5, it was actually 95, but I overloaded the bar putting two 10s on instead of 5s.

DL
                                                      5x5 40
                                                      5x5 80
                                                      5x5 102.5

Sorry, yeah you're totally right it is 20kg.

SPOILER
                                                      Not great camera placement. Lost grip on the 3rd one, should really have switched to an alternate grip, 4th is ugly. Legs don't look too happy.

How bad was that and what do you guys think I should be going back to on the DL?
                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-07-14, 13:39.

Comment

Your hips are too high in the starting position and your shoulders are too far over the bar.
                                                        These are standard form errors starting out.

Even though you've pulled c.100kg I'd still drop the weight back to about 50kg and add 5kg per session. Focus on form, (hips lower, chest up, shoulders back) and you should be back to 100kg in 5 weeks but with the form foundation required to progress to 130kg+

Comment

Your deadlift looks more like a straight legged deadlift with bent legs. Angle is poor but it looks like your back is rounded when lifting. As Mellor points out your hips are very high. Once the bar gets to your knee level you should aim to lower the bar by dropping your hips.

Comment

Day 5 01/8/14

Didn't really have time for a proper visit today, it was a busy time and the racks were being used to I skipped the squat and squeezed in the rest. I'm away for the weekend but I'm hoping I can make them up.

Warm-up
                                                            500m Row

BP
                                                            5x5 Bar
                                                            5,5,5,4,4 x 42.5kg

That last rep was a real struggle.

Row
                                                            5x5 40kg
                                                            5x5 42.5kg.
                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-08-14, 14:38.

Comment

Day 6 05/8/14

Warm-up
                                                              5mins Bike
                                                              Stretches
                                                              500m Row
                                                              F

Squat
                                                              5x5 bar
                                                              5x5 40kgs

Overhead Press
                                                              5x5 15kg
                                                              5x5 25kgs

DL
                                                              1x5 40
                                                              1x5 60

Made a mistake overloading the bar again, meant to do 50kgs.
                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-08-14, 08:29.

Comment

Day 7 07/8/14

I usually go in the morning time, but was busy in work all day, got in to gym around 19:30 after only having breakfast. Far from ideal.

Warm-up
                                                                500m Row
                                                                Bike

Squat
                                                                5x5 Bar
                                                                5x5 40kgs

These are feeling a lot better

BP
                                                                5x5 Bar
                                                                5,4,5,4,4 x 42.5kg

Pretty frustrating to miss reps again at this weight, hopefully it was just down to how the day worked out; no excuses next time.

Row
                                                                5x5 30kg
                                                                5x5 45kg.

Comment

Day 8 9/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                  Bike
                                                                  Row
                                                                  Stretches

Squat
                                                                  5x5 bar
                                                                  5x5 40kgs

Overhead Press
                                                                  5x5 15kg
                                                                  1x5,3,4,5 27.5kgs

I was feeling fairly annoyed and useless after the missing reps (esp at this kinda weight), took a slightly longer break before the final set. Last 5 felt like doing nothing, hohum.

DL
                                                                  1x5 40
                                                                  1x5 65

Day 9 11/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                  Bike
                                                                  Row

Squat
                                                                  5x5 Bar
                                                                  5x5 40kgs

These are feeling a lot better again, but I want to double check form before increasing the weight.

BP
                                                                  5x5 Bar
                                                                  5x5 42.5kg

Row
                                                                  5x5 30kg
                                                                  5x5 47.2kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    Overhead Press
                                                                    5x5 15kg
                                                                    1x5,3,4,5 27.5kgs

I was feeling fairly annoyed and useless after the missing reps (esp at this kinda weight), took a slightly longer break before the final set. Last 5 felt like doing nothing, hohum.

BP
                                                                    5x5 Bar
                                                                    5x5 42.5kg
                                                                    Sigh, I'm 25kg heavier than you, training for nearly a year albeit a bit lazily and I've maybe 7kg on you in the OHP and I'm currently stuck on the BP that you blitzed.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                      Sigh, I'm 25kg heavier than you, training for nearly a year albeit a bit lazily and I've maybe 7kg on you in the OHP and I'm currently stuck on the BP that you blitzed.
                                                                      I wish, you wouldn't be saying that if you'd seen it!

Day 10 13/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                      Bike
                                                                      Row
                                                                      Stretches

Squat
                                                                      5x5 bar
                                                                      5x5 40kgs

Overhead Press
                                                                      5x5 15kg
                                                                      5x5 27.5kgs

DL
                                                                      1x5 40
                                                                      1x5 70

Comment

Day 11 15/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                        Bike
                                                                        Row

Squat
                                                                        5x5 Bar
                                                                        5x5 x 40kgs

BP
                                                                        5x5 Bar
                                                                        5,4,4,5,5 x 45kg

Row
                                                                        5x5 x 30kg
                                                                        5x5 x 50kg

I was about 50/50 on the second and third bench press sets whether or not I could make a 5th rep but didn't push it on my own in an empty gym. On the fourth set I had a spot, and then did the last on my own.

Day 12 18/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                        Bike
                                                                        Row

Squat
                                                                        5x5 bar

Overhead Press
                                                                        5x5 x 20kg
                                                                        5,3,3,3,2 x 30kgs
                                                                        5x5 x 20kg

One of the instructors was in the gym when I was doing this and he pointed out some mistakes I had in my form, mainly my grip being too wide. I struggled a bit, and went back to just the bar to practice. I suspect it'd be worth investing in a bit more time.

Deadlift
                                                                        1x5 40
                                                                        1x5 75

Day 13 20/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                        Bike
                                                                        Row 3

Squat
                                                                        5x5 Bar

BP
                                                                        5x5 Bar
                                                                        5x5 x 45kg

Row
                                                                        5x5 x 40kg
                                                                        5x5 x 50kg

I saw a guy wearing power perfects and got talking to him after asking about the shoes. He was helpful and gave me some exercises and stretches to work on for my squat and pointed out some things he'd noticed me doing.

It's something that I haven't been working on at all. I'm going to make a habit now of building my flexibility and working on the squat form. I only did work with the bar today but found the exercises helped me get a better position back on heels and much better depth.
                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 20-08-14, 14:48.

Comment

Day 14 22/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                          Bike
                                                                          Row
                                                                          Warming up doing goblin squat, still struggle to hold the position doing just BW.

Squat
                                                                          5x5 bar
                                                                          5x5 40

Overhead Press
                                                                          5x5 x 20kg
                                                                          5,3,3,3,2 x 30kgs

Sigh

Deadlift
                                                                          1x5 40
                                                                          1x5 80

Day 15 25/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                          Bike
                                                                          Row
                                                                          Goblin Squat warm-up

Squat
                                                                          5x5 Bar
                                                                          5x5 40

BP
                                                                          5x5 Bar
                                                                          5x5,4,3,3,2 x 47.5kg

I suck obv

Row
                                                                          5x5 x 40kg
                                                                          5x5 x 50kg

Did 50kg again this week as I wasn't happen with my form, much improved imo.

Day 16 27/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                          Bike
                                                                          Row
                                                                          Warming up doing goblin squat

Squat
                                                                          5x5 bar
                                                                          5x5 42.5

Overhead Press
                                                                          5x5 x 20kg
                                                                          5,4,3,3,2 x 30kgs

Sigh

Deadlift
                                                                          1x5 40
                                                                          1x5 60
                                                                          1x5 80 (should have been 85)
                                                                          Last edited by Denny Crane; 27-08-14, 16:40.

Comment

Day 17 30/8/14

Warm-up
                                                                            Bike
                                                                            Row
                                                                            Goblin Squat warm-up

Squat
                                                                            5x5 Bar
                                                                            5x5 45

BP
                                                                            5x5 Bar
                                                                            5,4,4,3*,3 x 47.5kg

*Proper failure on the attempt at the 4th rep, had to roll the bar off. Good times.

Row
                                                                            3x5 x 40kg
                                                                            5x5 x 52.5kg

Day 18 1/9/14

Warm-up
                                                                            Bike
                                                                            Row
                                                                            goblin squat

Squat
                                                                            5x5 bar
                                                                            5x5 47.5

Overhead Press
                                                                            5x5 x 20kg
                                                                            5x5 30kgs

Finally. Although I'm feeling some lower back strain so obv need to work on technique.

Deadlift
                                                                            1x5 40
                                                                            1x5 60
                                                                            1x5 85

Comment

#39
                                                                              Missed one session due to work/life stuff.

Day 19 6/9/14

Squat
                                                                              5x5 Bar
                                                                              5x2 40
                                                                              5x5 50

BP
                                                                              5 x 5 bar
                                                                              3,4,4,5,5 x 47.5

Row
                                                                              5x3 40
                                                                              5x5 55kg

Day 20 8/9/14
                                                                              Squat
                                                                              5x5 Bar
                                                                              5x2 40
                                                                              5x5 52.5

Press

5x5 bar
                                                                              5x5 30

Deadlift
                                                                              1x5 40
                                                                              1x5 60
                                                                              1x5 95

Day 21 10/9/14

Squat
                                                                              5x5 x Bar
                                                                              5x2 x 40
                                                                              5x5 x 55

Was in a rush this day, no rest between sets so was never gonna get it

BP
                                                                              5 x 5 bar
                                                                              5,4,3,2,2 x 47.5

Row
                                                                              5x3 40
                                                                              5x5 55kg

Day 22 12/9/14

5x5 x Bar
                                                                              5x2 x 40
                                                                              5x5 x 60

Press
                                                                              5x2 Bar, pain in my shoulder so gave this a miss. Not sure if I just slept funny or if it was something more but I've always had rotator cuff problems (too much much swimming when young and bad posture didn't help)

Deadlift
                                                                              1x5 40
                                                                              1x5 60
                                                                              1x5 100

Day 23 15/9/14

5x5 x Bar
                                                                              5x2 x 40
                                                                              5x5 x 62.5

BP
                                                                              5 x 5 bar
                                                                              5,4,3,3,3 x 47.5

Just to add to it I don't think I've ever seen anyone else in the gym do less than 70/80.

Row
                                                                              5x5 40
                                                                              5x5 57.5kg
                                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 15-09-14, 21:08.

Comment

#40
                                                                                If it's any consolation I'd have started a few months ago at a very similar strength stage as you (slightly worse maybe) and my bench progress has been the slowest of all the lifts for me too.

I go through small stages of making progress before more weeks of fails and struggle.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Away at the moment and the place I'm staying in has a two story fitness area...filled with cardio equipment and no free weights. I can get squats in in a smith machine (didn't feel right though) but that's about it. Tilt. Going to look around for other options.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I was lazy initially about getting back into this after going away, back in the habit now.

Day 24 24/10/14

Squat
                                                                                    2x5 Bar
                                                                                    2x5 40
                                                                                    1x5 60
                                                                                    5x5 70

Over body-weight now, small milestone.

BP
                                                                                    5 x 5 bar
                                                                                    5,5,4*,5*,2* x 47.5

*failed

Row
                                                                                    5x5 40
                                                                                    5x5 57.5kg

Day 25 26/10/14

Squat
                                                                                    2x5 Bar
                                                                                    2x5 40
                                                                                    1x5 60
                                                                                    5x5 72.5

Overhead Press
                                                                                    I've first had rotator cuff problems from swimming years ago and it frequently reappears, I've gotten some pain so have been giving these a miss until it goes. I've been doing light exercise every session but can still feel strain when I try an overhead press.

Deadlift
                                                                                    1x5 40
                                                                                    1x5 80
                                                                                    1x5 105

Day 26 28/10/14

Squat
                                                                                    2x5 Bar
                                                                                    2x5 40
                                                                                    1x5 60
                                                                                    1x5 70
                                                                                    5x5 75

BP
                                                                                    5 x 5 bar
                                                                                    4,4,4,4*,3* x 47.5

*failed

Gonna get this!

Row
                                                                                    5x5 40
                                                                                    5x5 60kg
                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-10-14, 09:30.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Day 27 30/10/14

Squat
                                                                                      2x5 Bar
                                                                                      2x5 40
                                                                                      1x5 70
                                                                                      5x5 75

Overhead Press
                                                                                      5x5 20 kg bar, shoulder feeling better

Deadlift
                                                                                      1x5 40
                                                                                      1x5 80
                                                                                      1x5 110

Day 28 1/11/14
                                                                                      Met up with Lurker, he showed me some warm-up exercises that I'd been neglecting entirely and I've been doing these every session since.

He also had a look at my squat, and recommended sticking to 40/45kg until I fix some issues. I find that I still have to consciously think about parts, I've a way to go before it's an ingrained routine.

Day 29 3/11/14

Squat
                                                                                      5x5 Bar
                                                                                      5x5 45kg

Bench Press
                                                                                      5x5 Bar
                                                                                      5x5 47.5kg Finally.

Row
                                                                                      2x5 40kg
                                                                                      5x5 60kg

Day 30 5/11/14
                                                                                      Squat
                                                                                      5x5 Bar
                                                                                      5x5 45kg

Overhead Press
                                                                                      5x5 25kg bar

Deadlift
                                                                                      1x5 40kg
                                                                                      1x5 80kg
                                                                                      1x5 115kg

^^
                                                                                      Don't think that was great, my dead-lift is the only thing I've been gaining with every week so might be getting ahead of everything else.

Day 31 7/11/14

Gym was packed, had to start with a row as it was the only bar free. Very briefly considered asking someone that was deadlifting in the sole power-rack in the gym if they'd let me use it instead, probably best I didn't as they turned out to a group of WWE wrestlers!

Row
                                                                                      5x5 40 kg
                                                                                      5x5 60 kg

Squat
                                                                                      5x5 Bar
                                                                                      5x5 45kg

Think this is coming along

BP
                                                                                      5x5 Bar
                                                                                      5,5,3,3,3 x 50kg
                                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-11-14, 20:06.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Just looking back at this out of curiosity, confirms I've been lazy, I've had some progress but should have been a lot more.

Squat from last session was 5x5 @ 95kg
                                                                                        BP 5x5 @ 60kg

Finishing the year with squat above 100kg, and with my BP above bodyweight (67ish) is the simple goal.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        X