Another Fitness sLog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Fitness sLog

So I finally got round to starting weight training as I mentioned in the main fitness thread a few weeks back. Had a bunch of games and my training buddy was unavailable so I started a little later than planned.

First "proper" session last night. Lasted an hour but realistically took 30 mins as we were alternating between lifts.

Warmup

Shoulder dislocates/mobility routine. Hips and glutes mobility.

Squat:
    10x 25kg
    10x 35kg
    7x 45kg
    6x 50kg

Deadlift:
    10x 45kg
    10x 55kg
    7x 65kg
    7x 75kg

Bench:
    5x 35kg
    2x 40kg -failed on 3rd
    2x 40kg -failed on 3rd

Overhead Press:
    7x bar (15kg)
    5x 20kg
    6x 20kg - was fuming and wanted to try again so struggled on to get the last one up.

Did some more shoulder, hips and glutes work as per warmup to loosen out a little. Much happier than my first attempt a couple of weeks ago. Can definitely go heavier on the squat and deadlift, my mate just said to pace myself initially and work on getting the lifts down. Hands are pretty beaten up from hurling so lost grip on the 75kg, used straps and started again with no problem.

I feel like I had a hangover this morning. Shoulders, back (mostly), glutes, legs, you name it. Definitely a shock to the body. Also happy that I have less problems with external rotation on my arms, a lot easier to grip the bar for squats. Great to see it pay off in a couple of weeks of shoulder work.

Going to set some goals soon and jump fully into starting strength from next week on. I'll be supplementing my bench and overhead press with plenty of dips and pushup variations too as its badly lagging. Have a pull up bar somewhere too, so I'll dig that out and incorporate it in my routines.

Should be great craic trying to drag my arse through hurling training tonight. Thankfully its a slightly lighter session than normal as our club has white collar boxing this weekend.

Easy session me hole. The coach laid out the framework for most of our sessions for the next 6-8 weeks in the run up to c'ship.

Arrived 15 minutes early with the intention of limbering up, hitting a few frees and maybe some foam rolling. As I got to the dressing room I noticed the setup. Home dressing room had 10 stations laid out and we togged in the away room.

Everyone out for a big warm up, usual stretching, basic individual drills, varying tempo just to get the heart rate up. 10 mins total.

Split into 2 groups alternating on circuits inside and lots of running/high tempo drills.

Circuits:

1 minute on of the following and 5 secs rest to move to the next station.

Elevated tricep dips.
    Shoulder Press - Dumbells (2x 10kg)
    Bicep Curls - Dumbells (2x 7kg or 10kg)
    Front Raises - Dumbells (as above)
    Bench Press - 30kg Barbell
    Power Lunges - Bodyweight
    Calf Raises over ledge - BW
    Medicine Ball Lunges - small 4-6kg?
    High Knee Raises -
    Medicine Ball Squats - slightly bigger 8kg? Both balls were worn.

Water for 1 minute and move outside.

Constant running for the 10 minutes, varying the intensity. Main focus on hitting the drills at match pace. Too much detail to go into.

Everyone got 2 rounds of all the above. Then we spent the last few minutes of daylight doing shooting practice.

I am absolutely fucked. My legs and glutes feel like they're humming. At the start I was very stiff and found squats or bending over horrible. Loosened out during the warm up and powered through the rest of it. Wasn't sure I could complete it but happy to get there in the end. I felt last nights training actually stood to me and felt energized.

Was thinking of doing another weights session this weekend but won't get to fit it in. Hurling training on Saturday and the boxing on Sunday(beer) followed a junior c'ship game on Tuesday. I'll have a couple of gargles but won't get the chance to go overboard as I'll be too busy helping out during the boxing.

Comment

Back in action. Mainly due to injuries I stopped doing any extra training outside of hurling. I followed on with Squats/deadlifts/bench/overhead press in my buddies gym for a few more weeks but I couldn't consistently put sessions together. Torn ankle ligaments in November halted me and if I'm honest I was pretty depressed about it. The plan was to start gyming it up for the winter with the odd game of 5 a side.

Neither happened and sat on my ass at work. Gorged and drank my fill over xmas also. Joined the local crossfit gym this week. I won't be really doing any crossfit initially. They have a weightlifting club in the gym and I'm running with that for now. The owner (Wayne) is the main coach and an international lifter. Many records to his name. Sound fella and knows his stuff.

He has me on drills and mobility work for olympic lifting the last couple of sessions.

- General warmup routine. I'll right it down the next time.
      - Snatch Rountines + skills.
      - Jerk Rotines.
      - Overhead Squats.
      - Clean Pulls.
      - Overhead and chest pull apart band work.

Above order may be off slightly but I'm recording all the work from next week on. Everything is just 20kg bar but for the Clean pulls which we start at 40kg and add 5kg per set. 4 sets total for the cleans. My traps, lats and especially deltoids are minced. Its great . Wayne is giving me specific work to do on my shoulders and back at the next session tomorrow. They are quite underdeveloped at present but I'll get there.

I have to say I find the olympic movements way more fun and challenging than standard powerlifts. I'm sticking with this for the next couple of months minimum before any GAA starts back. I'll re-evaluate the situation then and take it from there. Onwards and upwards for 2015.

Comment

Good luck with this.
        Be interested to see how the oly lifts go with coaching.
        I keep saying i'll give them a proper go but yet to happen

Comment

Thursday 15/1/15

Missed Saturday's session - forgot my sister's birthday so had to race off and get a present. Write off of a day although my little sis was chuffed.

Tuesday was good but felt a little weak. Forgot to record the exact routine but it was similar to the below minus the landmines and farmers walk. Kettlebell swings and alternating lunges with kettlebells in each hand were the different exercises.

General warmup:
          - Calf raises.
          - Lunge to mountain climber position and twist overhead??
          - Knee lifts.
          - Standing hip cirlcles and slow kickback.
          - Overhead band pull apart.
          - Chest Band pull apart
          - Shoulder dislocates - PVC pipe.

Main Workout:

All with oylmpic bar unless stated.
          - Overhead Squat 3x5
          - Quick Drop/ OH Squat 3x5
          - Hang Snatch from knees 6x3
          - Landmine twist(fast) 3x8 each side
          - Landmine twist(fast) 2x5 with 2.5kg added
          - farmers walk 2x 60kg, 2x 70kg, 1x 90kg
          - push press 4x5
          Pretty much all focused on technique still. Shoulder rotation and stability is finally starting to get there. When I'm training I feel I should be doing more. Then I get home and feel like I cant move the next day lol. So badly out of shape from sitting on my hole at work and doing nothing for too long.

Felt really good with tonight's session. Didn't fail on any of the sets. Definitely not going to miss Saturday this week.
          Last edited by coillcam; 16-01-15, 10:33.

Comment

Saturday 17/1/15

Tired today, probably shouldn't have drank last night. Only a couple of beers but felt it nonetheless

Standard warmup as above.

Main Workout:

3x5 O.H. Squat - Noticeably deeper than a week ago, scaps and shoulders a lot more stable.
            3x5 Quick/snatch drop - Happy enough here.
            6x3 Hang Snatch - Form was poor in these. Had to redo some of the reps. Tired at the end.

Bench Press:
            5x Bar
            5x 25kg
            5x 30kg
            5x 35kg
            5x 40kg - Happy enough here. Aiming for 50kg next week.

Body Rows
            10X to failure
            9x to failure
            8x to failure
            8x to failure - Very tough. Barely able to give myself 8 here.

Alternating kettlebell lunges
            3x16 @ 28kg - Last few reps were a struggle. Barbell in place KB's if my shoulder rotation feels good next week.

T, Y, I's
            2x8 @5kg

O.H. and chest band pull aparts
            Wanted to finish with some deadlifts but my coach advised against. Knackered at the end anyway. Hopefully adding some to weight to the olympic routines next week.
            Last edited by coillcam; 17-01-15, 17:50.

Comment

Tuesday 20/1/15

Felt good today. My chest was really sore with doms for the previous couple of days.

Standard warmup and mobilty. Probably going to grab a thicker band next session. Shoulders, chest and scaps are much better.

Gym was crazy busy today so only a standard 15kg bar available when I arrived.

Hang Snatch - technique
              - 6x3 @ bar - My first few sets were sloppy. Wayne (coach) corrected my form. Not gripping the bar wide enough, simple. Last couple were my best so far. Really like this movement now, full concentration and body co-ordination required.

Back squat - These were meant to be front squats but my back and shoulder movement aren't quite there yet. Easy enough. Could have went to sixty but I had no spotter or safety. My depth is way better on these compared to when I first tried last year and knees not caving in as much.
              - 5x bar
              - 5x 25kg
              - 5x 30kg
              - 5x 40kg
              - 5x 50kg

Bulgarian Squats - Bodyweight
              - 3x8 each side: First time doing these. Completely un-coordinated and wobbly, could take a couple more minutes after the back squats. Great exercise though.

Push Press
              6x bar
              6x 20kg
              6x 25kg
              5x 30kg - Couldn't make the last rep. A lot smoother overall, making good progress.

Pull Ups assisted with band (35mm I think). Last few were cruel. Can't wait to start knocking these out properly and push towards a muscle up.
              8X
              6X
              4X
              3X

Deadlift - Chose these as extras for my back. Ran out of time as crossfit class was just starting. No problems here.

5x 40kg
              5x 60kg
              5x 70kg
              Kinda starting to get the bug big time. I'm training 3x times a week now consistently for the next 6 weeks (Tuesday, Thursday + Saturday). Yet I still feel(guilty) that I should be doing more in the in the off days. Any recommendations or should I just take it easy until my body adjusts a little better?

Also I think I better start setting some goals to work towards.
              Last edited by coillcam; 20-01-15, 22:43.

Comment

Wed/Thur 21/22 January.

Wednesday
                - Indoor Soccer for 60 mins.

Thursday
                Standard Warmup. Moved up to the next band for pull aparts. Scaps and shoulders a little more stable and moving more freely.

Snatch
                6x3 Bar. Wayne commented that my depth is way better

Front Squat
                4x5 Bar - First time so just getting used to the technique. Tough on my wrists. More shoulder work should correct this.

Hang Cleans
                2x5 Bar
                2x5 30kg
                1x5 35kg
                1x5 40kg

Back Squat
                5x 35kg
                5x 40kg
                5x 50kg
                5x 55kg
                5x 60kg - Progressing well here. Should exceed my bodyweight in the next couple of weeks (72kg).
                Fairly straight forward session. Rushed the last couple sets of cleans and redone them. Combination of fatigue and not enough practice. The back of my armpits(teres major?) were killing me from Tuesday. Probably the pullups. Squats are getting better and my back seems to be under less strain.
                Last edited by coillcam; 22-01-15, 21:22.

Comment

Saturday 24/1/15

Had a sore left hip flexor since Friday. Curiously I didn't notice anything with Thursday's session. Felt good throughout and right after. Really felt a pinch when warming up for this session, not tightness but tender and sore. Tried OH squats Snatch with a PVC pipe, didn't feel great either. Tried a couple of hang snatches but it wasn't happening for me. Once I bit started to reach parallel I knew it was time to give up. Spoke to Wayne and we decided to go with upper body instead.
                  Bench Press

5x Bar
                  5x 30kg
                  5x 40kg
                  5x 45kg
                  5x 50kg - Felt tough. Probably stay on 50kg for the next session.

Body Rows
                  9x
                  9x
                  6x
                  6x - Better form than previously. Very tiring.

Push Press
                  5x Bar
                  8x 25kg
                  8x 30kg
                  7x 35kg
                  2x fails @40kg - Just not quite there yet.

Pull ups with band
                  8X
                  5x
                  4X
                  4X - Time to change to a lighter band. Form is better.
                  Kind of bummed that my hip flexor flared up. I had the same issue a couple of times last year playing hurling after heavy physical sessions - mainly sprints. That said it wasn't quite as bad back then. Struggled on with it at the time and it cleared up within 2 weeks. Hurling is back Tuesday but I'm probably going to miss this session and the gym also. Trip to the physio required.

Also thinking about the long term, keeping gym and gaa going is going to be tough in terms of scheduling and recovery. Trying to squeeze in study for IT certs also so I need to figure out the correct balance.
                  Last edited by coillcam; 25-01-15, 22:27.

Comment

I suggest going to a Physio recommended by either your trainer or one of your hurler buddies, so you can address the underlying root of the hip flexor problem ASAP.

Comment

There's a local surgery affiliated with work, I'll be booking an appointment tomorrow. I actually fixed the physio's computer in the past. Thankfully our work scheme also covers 50% of the fees.

Comment

Tuesday 27/1/15 & Thursday 29/1/2015

Upper body still for the moment.
                        Shoulder band work and dislocates with PVC pipe.

Bench press

5x Bar
                        5x 25kg
                        5x 35kg
                        5x 40kg
                        5x 45kg
                        5x 50kg - I hit 55kg and all smiles until I started taking off the plates, realised I was on the 15kg bar AGAIN. Derp!

Body Rows
                        9x
                        8x
                        7X
                        6x
                        5x - Faster, smoother and chest closer to the bar.

Push Press

8x Bar
                        8x 25kg
                        8x 30kg
                        8x 35kg

Pull Ups - thinner band than last time.
                        6x
                        4x
                        3x - Better form and pump in the first few.
                        Went to the physio on Wednesday morning. Confirmed a hip flexor strain. Gave some specific pelvic/hip routines. Also noted that my glutes, groin, quads and basically everything should be more mobile. No GAA or lower body for 2x weeks. I guess I can live with that. I'm certain it was the hang cleans that killed me as I haven't done front squats either and I felt I was being pulled forward while doing them. Lesson learned. Lastly I asked the physio to take a quick look at my left shoulder and she recommended rotator cuff work to stabilize. I'll probably go back in a couple of weeks for a proper look as we ran out of time.

Thursday - Doing some network upgrades at work and snow meant I was too late for my usual session. Dusted off my little used fitness mat at home.

Band Pull aparts. OH and chest
                        Shoulder dislocates with band.
                        Scap Pushups.
                        T, Y, I, from prone position.
                        Rear hand clasp progress with band.
                        Ext Rotation on rotator cuffs

Push-ups
                        20x
                        15x
                        8x
                        - Wrists/forearms gave up pretty quickly. Laptop crashed later and lost my exact reps for this session.

Dips from chair
                        5x
                        5x
                        10x
                        5x
                        - Sharp edge on the chair meant sore palms and slipping.

Handstand pushups progression @90 degrees (feet on chair).
                        10x
                        8x
                        6x

Diamond pushups
                        5x - Wrists and forearms expired instantly.

Finished with hip mobility exercises from physio. LOTS of foam rolling with glutes, hammies, groin and quads. As much tennis ball work on hips as I could bear.
                        Was disheartened during the routines on Thursday but felt happy and refreshed afterwards. Could air squat with no pinch after the mobility work. Lots of mobility for the next week and back to normal the following week with any luck.

Comment

Sat 31/1/15

Bench press
                          5x bar
                          5x 30kg
                          5x 40kg
                          5x 50kg - Wayne noted my form was ideal. Elbows too wide and shy of full depth. I'll stick on 50 until I correct this.

Body Rows
                          10x
                          7x
                          6x
                          5x
                          4x

Push press
                          8x Bar
                          8x 30kg
                          7x 35kg
                          5x 35kg

Pull ups with band
                          6x
                          4x
                          2x

deadlift
                          5x 50kg
                          5x 60kg
                          5x 70kg
                          5x 80kg
                          5x 90kg
                          Good session, felt fresh throughout. My lower back is stiff and quite tired today. Doing some stretching and mobility for my hip over the last few days. Could probably start running and squats now but I'll give it another couple of days.

Spoke to my coach about weightlifting with hurling as the training completely overlaps with weightlifting days - Tues/Thurs/Sat. He offered to reserve me a spot at the Crossfit sessions Mon/Wed/Fri to do my own thing. Pretty happy with this, looking forward to such an intense schedule. Big focus on eating, sleeping and recovering properly. It'll be tough to keep this workload once the games start.

Comment

Tuesday 3/2/15

Focused on making sure my legs are getting some work while my hip settles. I'd say I'm about 80% there

Shoulder and chest band work. Shoulder dislocates. Glute stretch and hip/groin rotation.

Alternating lunges with bar
                            6x small bar each side
                            6x 20kg
                            6x 25kg
                            6x 30kg

Single leg step ups - very slow through incline and decline.
                            4x6 each side - definitely noticed weakness and a slight pull on my left hip flexor.

Push Press
                            6x bar
                            6x 25kg
                            6x 30kg
                            6x 35kg

More shoulder and chest band work.
                            T,Y,I with 2.5kg each side.

Deadlift
                            5x 40kg
                            5x 60kg
                            5x 80kg
                            5x 90kg
                            5x 100kg - 1st pull was awkward. Easy afterwards.
                            Finished up and headed home, grabbed some light grub and headed to hurling training. Still sitting the main sessions out - primarily sprints and running on soft ground. Brought my trainers and winter gear. Did 1500m at a slow jog on the running track and some stretching. Tight but to be expected after the gym. Challenge games coming up on Saturday and Sunday. I'll tog out for the warm ups to get some ball drills in. Thankfully I'm not too far from 100%.

Comment

Seems good that you can get that arrangement sorted with the space in the Crossfit facility, nice one.
                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                Seems good that you can get that arrangement sorted with the space in the Crossfit facility, nice one.
                                Ah yeah its pretty sweet, wasn't expecting it tbh. The owner/coach (Wayne) is pure sound. I guess its in his interest to accommodate me and keep the membership fees coming in .

Comment

Working...
                                X