Shut Up and Squat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bar + 40kg each hand.

I don't think each bar weighs 20. It certainly didn't feel like 120kg anyhow. Probably more like 100-105kg.

Comment

ah, prob cheaper bars, 10-12kg ones.
      And a good idea if they are running about fields and dropping them in puke

Comment

Friday 18th February
        -----------------------------------------------------------------

Warm up: usual

Low Bar Squat
        Bar x 5
        60 x 4
        80 x 3
        100 x 3
        *wrist wraps and chalk on*
        120 x 2
        140 x 1
        150 x 1
        *belt on*
        160 x 1
        170 x 1
        180 x 1

Military Press
        Bar x 5,5
        40 x 3
        50 x 2
        60 x 1
        *wrist wraps on*
        70 x 1
        75 x 1

Pull Ups
        BW + 2.5 x 5,5,5

Lying Leg Curl
        30 x 6,6,6

Leg Press
        100 x 8
        140 x 8
        180 x 8
        220 x 8

Wide Grip Seated Row
        55 x 8
        65 x 8,8,8

L Sits
        2 full reps held for about 5 secs each
        1 3/4ish rep

Hanging Leg Raise (Into Knees Tucked Position)
        8 reps x 2

some shoulder stuff

Warm down: usual

Squatting was awesome. Solid as a rock. I watched the elitefts "So you think you can squat" series last night and it really helped. The main thing I took from it was to look straight ahead with my eyes up at around a 30 degree angle. In turn, this creates a nice ledge for the bar and keeps the chest up. I felt no pressure on my shoulders or wrists tonight so definitely making progress.

I felt my usual pain in the back from the glute at 180 so stopped there. The weight felt light. Hopefully good for 200 soon. I was really surprised because my quads are still pretty sore from the strongman training last Wed.

The 75 on MP took about 6 secs to lock out. Forgot to breathe out and felt a bit woozy.

Pull ups were easy. Did the other stuff for a bit of fun. Leg press was easy peasy too.

Comment

Tuesday 22nd February

Warm up: Usual

Low Bar Squat
          Bar x 5
          60 x 4
          80 x 4
          100 x 4
          120 x 3
          140 x 5

Bench Press
          Bar x 5,5
          40 x 5
          60 x 4
          80 x 2
          90 x 1
          *wrist wraps on*
          100 x 5,5,5,5,5 *PB*

Dead Hang Chins
          BW + 10kg x 5,5,4

some physio stuff - wall squats with 20kg dumbells 8,8,8

Single Leg Glute Machine

92.5 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
          120 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
          120 x 12,12,12

Back Extension Machine
          BW x 12,12,12

Face pulls
          28.75 x 15,15,15

core stuff - planks and bridges

warm down: usual

I wanted to do a bit more volume on the squats but I just can't atm. Very frustrating.

Bench is a token PB due to the fact I'm 3kg lighter than I was the first time I did it.

Comment

23rd February 2011
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strongman Training Session 2 (on grass)

Warm up: 2 min jog

Station 1: Sled pulls with 80kg on sled - 30yds up pulling forwards with arms outstretched palms facing downwards and 30 yds back pulling backwards with arms outstretched palms facing upwards + 15 jump squats at the end

Station 2: Trap Bar DL 70kg-ish x 15 reps + 20 burpees

Station 3: Prowler suicides (no weight added)

(1) push to first cone (10yds) push back to start
            (2) push to second cone (20yds) push back to start
            (3) push to third cone (30yds) push back to start

Station 4: Farmers walk - bars + 60kg each hand 30yds up and back.

"Warm down": Eight 30yd sprints with 10 secs rest in-between
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three in our group again. I had boots this time and that made a big difference.

Started at station 1. Got three runs in. The backwards pulling is an absolute killer on the VMO and it really destroys you for the rest of the session. Did the jumps squats on run 1 but couldn't bend the knees after the other two.

Station 2 was tougher than last week for some reason. Got 4 runs in with 12,12,10,10 reps on DL and something like 10,5,5,0 for the burpees. Had a bit of dry retching at this station.

Station 3 was so sick. The 30yd trip totally drained me and I crawled 5yds away from the prowler and puked. I wasn't helped by the fact my uncle jumped on my back and said "yeeehaw" whilst making a lassoing motion My glutes even seized up half way through the last push home. 1 horrible run completed.

Station 4 was a lot heavier than last week so just a straight up and down run. Another dude joined our group at this station. I got 1 run in and puked a couple of times. Definitely due to the prowler.

Overall, I lasted much better this week so hopefully I'll keep improving.

tl;dr

Comment

Enjoying the awesome pain of those strongman training updates, sounds like fun

Comment

Friday 25th February

Front Squat
                Bar x 5
                40 x 5
                60 x 4
                80 x 3
                100 x 2
                120 x 1
                140 x 3,1
                120 x 3,3

Military Press
                Bar x 5,5
                40 x 3
                50 x 2
                *wrist wraps on*
                60 x 3,3,3

Inverted Row
                BW x 12

loads of abs stuff

Bent Over Barbell Row
                60 x 3
                70 x 3,3,3,3,3,3

some rotator cuff work

Lying Leg Curl
                30 x 6,6,6

some physio stuff

Seated Calf Machine

32.5 x 12
                35 x 12
                37.5 x 12
                40 x 12

Back Extension Machine
                BW x 12,12,12

Meh. First set of heavy squats was good and strong. I just couldn't get out of the hole on the second rep of the second set. So dumped the bar and scaled back the weight. I'll try again next week.

Everything else was fine. I'm trying to do more back work than usual to try to bring it up to speed with my front.

Comment

Monday 28th February

Low Bar Squat
                  Bar x 5
                  60 x 4
                  80 x 3
                  100 x 3
                  120 x 3
                  140 x 2
                  150 x 1
                  *belt on*
                  160 x 1
                  170 x 2

Bench Press
                  Bar x 5,5
                  40 x 5
                  60 x 4
                  80 x 2
                  90 x 1
                  *wrist wraps on*
                  100 x 1
                  110 x 1
                  115 x 1 *PB*

Dead Hang Pull Ups
                  BW + 5kg x 5,5,5

Close Grip Seated Row

75 x 8,8,8

Single Leg Glute Machine
                  92.5 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
                  120 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine

120 x 12,12,12

Back Extension Machine
                  BW x 12,12,12

Squatting is starting to come together. No pain today.

Nice bench pb. 110 was a bit wobbly but found the groove for 115 and it was much easier. Hopefully good for 120 next time the single reps comes around.

I'm staying away from deadlifting at the moment as I know my glute isn't strong enough yet.

Comment

2nd March 2011
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strongman Training Session 3 (on grass)

Station 1: Prowler pushes + 30 kg (high handle - no pads this time)

(1) push to first cone (15yds) push back to start
                    (2) push to second cone (25yds) push back to start

Station 2: Sled pulls + 75kg (with fat straight-bar handle) - 30 yds up and back - both pulling backwards.

Station 3: Sled pulls + 60kg (2 handles) - 30yds up and back - palms down with arms straight out pulling forwards and neutral grip with arms close to chest pulling forwards on way back.

Station 4: Farmers walk - static holds for 20 secs 70ish kg
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely crashed on burned today. No guesses for what did it. Prowler ftl.

Only 5 turned up today so we had one group. We all got two runs in on the prowler. No doubt the worst drill I've done so far in terms of lactic acid build up and pure pain. Crawled away after the second run and puked a few times. Lay on the ground for a good ten minutes in the fetal position. It's pretty hard to describe the feeling in my legs as I lay there, the best I can do is that it felt like someone was constantly punching me in the quads. Tried to stand up and puked again. Got the nickname Pukeahontas.

5 minutes later I finally got up and got two runs in back to back on station 2 and 3. I was trying to make up for lost time. Disapointed as I can usually push through the pain but not this time.

Sat on the ground again. Couldn't move.

The end.

Comment

I had a chat with the guy who runs it after the session and he said I just can't deal with the lactic acid build up. He recommended a supplement called green fuel by optimum efx.

Green Fuel has the equivalent of 10 servings of vegetables in one small scoop. It also greatly increases alkalinity to protect the body from developing an acidic environment. With so many people trying to get their servings of vegetables in daily this product solves that problem.
                      My uncle takes it so he popped into his gym and picked my up one. It actually tastes better than water imo. Hopefully it helps. Perhaps I should add in a metcon once a week to increase my CV levels too. Plenty to think about anyhow.

Comment

Must get a go on a prowler.
                        Is the self weight that heavy?
                        Its only 30kg added, compared to the sled pulls which are twice that. But seams to be the worse.

I've never done both so might be missing something obvious

Comment

Nah. It's not that heavy. The problem is it drags in the grass and gets stuck a bit if you stop at all. There's a constant battle trying to overcome the friction. The sleds don't get stuck.

I'd love to have a go of it on concrete. It should be much easier in terms of friction and footing.

Comment

Friday 4th March

Low Bar Squat
                            Bar x 5,5
                            60 x 4
                            80 x 3
                            100 x 3
                            120 x 3
                            140 x 1,5,4,4,3
                            100 x 5

Military Press
                            Bar x 5,5
                            40 x 4
                            50 x 2
                            *wrist wraps on*
                            62.5 x 5,5,5,5,5

Chin Ups
                            BW + 10kg x 5,5,5

Seated Calf Machine
                            40 x 12,12,12

Single Leg Glute Machine
                            95 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
                            122.5 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
                            122.5 x 12,12,12

Back Extension Machine
                            BW + 2.5kg x 12,12,12

Squats were really bad. My shoulders are sore and I couldn't get the correct rack position. Grip wasn't correct on a few of the 140 sets. Struggled through when I could. An off day for sure. Need to get more consistent. At least I had no piriformis issues.

Everything else went well. First time I've added weight to the back extension. Nice pump.

Comment

Tuesday 8th March

Front Squat
                              Bar x 5
                              40 x 5
                              60 x 4
                              80 x 3
                              100 x 2
                              120 x 1
                              140 x 3,2
                              125 x 3

Bench Press
                              Bar x 5
                              40 x 5
                              60 x 4
                              80 x 2
                              90 x 1
                              *wrist wraps on*
                              100 x 3,3,3 *all paused for a second on my chest*

Bent Over Barbell Row
                              75 x 3,3,3,3,3,3

------------------------------------------------------------

Short and Sweet. Felt like crap today due to a lack of sleep. Squats are getting ridiculously taxing. Happy with an extra rep from last time. I'll give it one more go and if I can't get it I'll drop the weight 10% and work back up.

Bench was very solid. Completely different exercise when paused.

Comment

9th March 2011
                                Strongman Training Session 4 (on grass)

Station 1: Farmers walk (different bars with really thick handles) + 50kg in each hand for 25 yds + 15 medicine ball pushups at the end.

Station 2: Sled pulls + 60kg 1st time and 75kg 2nd time - 25yds up and back - palms down with arms straight out pulling forwards on way up and chest pressing it back (one foot forward, extend arms out to drag sled, take another step and repeat) + burpees

Station 3: Bear walks 25yds on prowler sled + 60kg straight into a 25yd 60kg sled pull and 90kg sled pull the second time.

Wrapping it up: 6 25yd sprints woth 10 secs rest in-between. 30 secs burpees into 20 pushups with 20 secs hold at the bottom of last rep into 30 secs jumping squats holding the bottom position of the last rep for 20 secs.

Good day. First time I've managed to keep the contents of my stomach where they should be.

4 in our group. We supersetted stations 1 and 2 for a bit of variety. The thick handles on the farmers is very tough to hold onto. Nice burn on the wrists. Weight was very manageable.

Chest pressing for 25 yds on station 2 was absolutely disgusting. Got me some super bruises on my triceps from the chains digging in as I extended my arms. Really exhausts the chest.

Bear walks were awesome. My favourite exercise so far. Basically you put on a chest harness and your connected by a chain to the prowler. You drive the legs forward with your toes and use your hands on the ground for extra leverage at the start. I was good at keeping low. The hardest part is getting a start on it and trying to breathe. It certainly put a sense of perspective on the amazing feats of strength when the strongmen do the same thing with a big ass truck or jumbo jet. Much respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post

Good day. First time I've managed to keep the contents of my stomach where they should be.
                                  Winning

Bear walks were awesome. My favourite exercise so far. Basically you put on a chest harness and your connected by a chain to the prowler. You drive the legs forward with your toes and use your hands on the ground for extra leverage at the start. I was good at keeping low. The hardest part is getting a start on it and trying to breathe. It certainly put a sense of perspective on the amazing feats of strength when the strongmen do the same thing with a big ass truck or jumbo jet. Much respect
                                  check out this beast of a thing

Comment

Wow. That's an evil contraption. Low handle pushing is horrific and the backwards pushing would absolutely destroy your quads. Imagine bringing one of them over to the local park

Edit: Weighs 120 pounds. That's ridic lol.

Comment

Friday 11th March

Low Bar Squat
                                      Bar x 5
                                      60 x 4
                                      80 x 3
                                      100 x 3
                                      120 x 2
                                      140 x 1
                                      *belt on*
                                      150 x 1
                                      170 x 3

Military Press
                                      Bar x 5,5
                                      40 x 3
                                      50 x 2
                                      60 x 1
                                      *wrist wraps and belt on*
                                      67.5 x 3

Seated Calf Machine
                                      42.5 x 12,12,12

Single Leg Glute Machine

97.5 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
                                      125 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
                                      125 x 12,12,12

Glute Ham Raise (GHR)
                                      BW + 5kg x 12,12,12

Inverted Row
                                      BW x 12,12,10

some physio stuff and rotator cuff work

Squats were good technique wise. Last rep was almost a pause squat. I was good for another rep and possibly could've grinded out a fifth too. First time since my injury I've felt a pressure build up on my face. Oh how I've missed you! My shoulders really hate me doing low bar though.

I thought the MP would've been harder. Probably should've went for 70kg.

GHR is what I had previously referred to as the back extension machine. Time to use the proper name.

Comment

Monday 14th March

Low Bar Squat

Bar x 5
                                        60 x 4
                                        80 x 4
                                        100 x 3
                                        120 x 2
                                        140 x 1
                                        150 x 4,3

Bench Press
                                        Bar x 5,5
                                        40 x 5
                                        60 x 4
                                        80 x 2
                                        90 x 1
                                        *wrist wraps on*
                                        102.5 x 5,4,5,4,3 *PB*

Dead Hang Chins
                                        BW + 12kg x 5,5,3

Single Leg Glute Machine
                                        100 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
                                        125 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine

125 x 12,12,12

GHR
                                        BW + 8kg x 12,12,8

Small bit of progress in terms of volume for squats. I was hoping for 3 sets of 5 but had to cut the sets short as my shoulders were under a great deal stress. Legs were fine. Hopefully I can build up my shoulder endurance for low bar.

Bench was ghey. Took a longer break after the second set but tailed off by set 5.

Massive back pump on the GHR.

Comment

Strongman Training Session 5 (on grass)

Station 1: Sled pulls + 90kg - 25yds up pulling forwards with arms outstretched palms facing downwards and 25 yds back pulling backwards with arms outstretched neutral grip + 15 lunge and reaches at the end

Station 2: Prowler suicides (no weight added - high handle)

(1) push to first cone (15yds) push back to start
                                          (2) push to second cone (25yds) push back to start

Station 3: Farmers walk - bars + 40kg each hand (thick handle) 25yds sprinting up and stopping at two cones on the way back for 3 secs with 4 shrugs at the finish line + 15 isometric rows with around 10kg thick handle dumbells at the end

Wrapping it up:

10 pushups with 20 sec hold at the bottom of the last rep
                                          straight into
                                          a burpee like exercise for 20 secs
                                          straight into
                                          jumping squats for 20 secs
                                          straight into
                                          holding the bottom position of a lunge for 20 secs each leg

I was out shopping for suits for my first proper job today* so i didn't really get to eat and drink as much as I wanted. I ended up getting a steak and cheese sub about 2 hours before the session. I knew I'd pay for it and I certainly did!

Sled pulls leading into the prowler is absolutely sadistic tbf. The fecker added weight on my sled pulls because I seemed "too comfortable". 3 runs with sled + 90kg. The trip back is torture on the quads. It was very tough to move at all after run 3.

There were three people in my group. So not much recovery time at all. Got 2 runs in on the prowler and puked. Lay on the ground like a baby until it was my turn again. Got up and did another run. Puked.

Onward and upward to station 3. Not a bad station at all. I was still suffering from the prowler though. Got 1 run in + the rows and puked. Got angry, picked myself up and did one more run.

I wanted to push myself to the limit today as it was my last strongman session for the time being. I'll be working when it's on unfortunately. I've really enjoyed it and hope I'll get to do it at some stage again. I know I did a lot of puking but that only really means I was pushing myself hard. There is really no comparison from my performance in week 1 to that today in week 5.

*As a sidenote, it's really hard to get suits to fit when you have big quads and a big ass

Comment

Good workout Lurker although i would be seriously concerned with the amount of puking you are doing

Comment

Monday 21st March

Front Squat
                                              Bar x 5
                                              40 x 5
                                              60 x 4
                                              80 x 3
                                              100 x 2
                                              110 x 1
                                              125 x 3,3,3

Military Press
                                              Bar x 5
                                              40 x 3
                                              50 x 2
                                              62.5 x 3,3,3

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                              80 x 3,3,3,3,3,3

GHR
                                              BW + 7kg x 12,12,9

Warm down: mostly legs and back plus a small bit of upper body - ran out of time

Planned on doing this workout on Saturday but hurt my groin getting up off the couch on Friday. Couches are dangerous, be careful kids.

Decided to drop the weight on the front squats as there was no way 140 3x3 was going to happen. My core is going into overdrive lately on front squats. I must be engaging it more than usual.

Everthing else was standard.

Comment

Thursday 24th March

Low Bar Squat
                                                Bar x 5
                                                60 x 5
                                                80 x 4
                                                100 x 3
                                                120 x 2
                                                140 x 1
                                                *belt on*
                                                160 x 1
                                                180 x 1
                                                190 x fail

Bench Press
                                                Bar x 5,5
                                                40 x 5
                                                60 x 4
                                                80 x 2
                                                90 x 1
                                                *wrist wraps on*
                                                100 x 1
                                                107.5 x 2 *PB*

Dead Hang Chins
                                                BW + 12kg x 5,5,5

GHR
                                                BW + 6kg x 12,12,12

Disappointed with the squats. 180 felt tough tonight but gave the 190 a go anyway. Kinda rocked back on my heels and lost the upward momentum. I didn't have the energy to muster another attempt so I'll try again in a few weeks.

Probably should've went with a 110 double on the bench in hindsight but played it safe after the squat fail.

I'll have a think about how to organise my training a bit better over the weekend and I'll hopefully put something together within the next week. I think it's time for a few adjustments.

Comment

Tuesday 29th March

Low Bar Squat
                                                  Bar x 5,5
                                                  60 x 5
                                                  80 x 4
                                                  100 x 3
                                                  120 x 2
                                                  140 x 1
                                                  *belt on*
                                                  150 x 5,5,5

Military Press
                                                  Bar x 5,5
                                                  40 x 3
                                                  50 x 2
                                                  57.5 x 1
                                                  65 x 5,5,5,5,5 *PB*

Dead Hang Chins
                                                  BW + 14kg x 5,5,5

GHR
                                                  BW + 7kg x 12,12

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to finally get a bit of volume in on the squats. The very last rep was tough enough - say about 9/10 in terms of exertion. Again, the stretch in the shoulders really takes some getting used to but hey it's progress.

MP was really hard. PB I think. The last rep on each set was a long grind but I managed to lock them out. Same story with the chins.

I think I'll try some light deadlifting later in the week.

Comment

Thursday 31st March

Front Squat
                                                    Bar x 5
                                                    40 x 5
                                                    60 x 4
                                                    80 x 3
                                                    100 x 2
                                                    120 x 1
                                                    130 x 3,3,2

Bench Press
                                                    Bar x 5,5
                                                    40 x 5
                                                    60 x 4
                                                    80 x 2
                                                    92.5 x 1
                                                    *wrist wraps on*
                                                    102.5 x 3,3,2+1 (1 rep assisted by spotter) *all paused for a second on my chest* *PB*

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                    85 x 3
                                                    80 x 3,3,3,3,3

Face Pulls (Cable)
                                                    28.75 x 15,15,15

*supersetted with*

GHR
                                                    BW + 7kg x 12,12,10

Preacher Curl (Dumbells)
                                                    12kg x 12,11

Lost my grip on the last rep of the squats which is a shame as I definitely had the rep in the tank.

Bench is always so much harder with paused reps. Happy with the outcome.

BOBR was too heavy to start with so repped it out at 80kg. I threw in some curls as a treat.

Comment

Sunday 3rd April

Low Bar Squat
                                                      Bar x 5,5
                                                      40 x 5
                                                      60 x 5
                                                      80 x 4
                                                      100 x 3
                                                      120 x 2
                                                      *belt on*
                                                      140 x 2
                                                      160 x 1
                                                      175 x 2

Military Press
                                                      Bar x 5,5
                                                      40 x 4
                                                      50 x 2
                                                      60 x 1
                                                      72.5 x 2
                                                      80 x fail <tried it as I felt pretty good>

Deadlift (both conventional and sumo at each weight)
                                                      Bar x 5,5
                                                      70 x 5
                                                      90 x 4
                                                      110 x 3
                                                      130 x 2

Deadlift (conventional)
                                                      *belt on*
                                                      150 x 1
                                                      170 x 1
                                                      190 x 1

Lying Single Leg Curl
                                                      30 x 6,6,6

Seated Calf Machine
                                                      45 x 12,12,12

*supersetted with some scap work*

Wall squats (dumbells)
                                                      24 x 8,8,8

*supersetted with some rotator cuff work*

Single Leg Glute Machine
                                                      100 x 8,8,8

*supersetted with*

Standing Rope Ab Pulldown (Cable)

48 x 15,15,15

Hip Adduction Machine
                                                      125 x 12,12,12

*supersetted with*

Hip Abduction Machine
                                                      125 x 12,12,12

Delighted. Absolutely delighted. I can finally deadlift again. I had no intention of pulling 190 but the warm ups went surprisingly well and everything felt light and snappy off the floor. Felt so good and I'd say I was still good for 200 so not too much of a drop off even though I haven't deadlifted in ages. All the rehab work has payed off.

Squats were fine. Narrowed my grip on the MP and it made it much easier. 72.5 x 2 was the plan for today and it flew up so gave the 80 x 1 a shot. Had it over my head for around 4 secs and knew I was running out of oxygen to lockout so I was better off dropping it than passing out.

Everything else was standard.

I've decided I'm going to leave my training schedule as is until I do an upcoming exam in June. I'll have more time to fiddle about and possibly add in an extra day. I'm getting to the stage where I possibly need to split my squat, deadlift and bench on different days anyhow.
                                                      Last edited by Lurker23; 03-04-11, 16:16.

Comment

Tuesday 5th April

Low Bar Squat
                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                        60 x 5
                                                        80 x 4
                                                        100 x 3
                                                        120 x 2
                                                        *belt on*
                                                        140 x 1
                                                        155 x 3,3

Bench Press
                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                        40 x 5
                                                        60 x 4
                                                        80 x 2
                                                        92.5 x 1
                                                        *wrist wraps on*
                                                        102.5 x 4,4,4

Dead Hang Chins
                                                        BW + 16kg x 5,5,4

GHR
                                                        BW + 12kg x 8,8,8

Crappy workout. I was going for 3 sets of 5 on squats. The bar kept rolling down my back and I couldn't hold the rack position. Shoulders are sore now. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my previous rotator cuff injury. I just can't get comfortable on that side.

There was nobody around to spot me on the bench so just played it safe. I'll have to sort out the pins in the rack so I won't need a spotter.

Comment

Well man, looking good in here. Serious lifting going on.

I failed on my 95kg ass to grass, way below parallel squat after 2 reps on Monday. Then hammered 3x out easy yesterday. Even added in 1 set of 100kg just to see how it felt. That was doable too.

Pretty swift turnaround. Must be something to do with my match and lack of rest over the weekend. Its sick that you can have much difference in the space of two days. Makes you wonder.
                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                            Well man, looking good in here. Serious lifting going on.

I failed on my 95kg ass to grass, way below parallel squat after 2 reps on Monday. Then hammered 3x out easy yesterday. Even added in 1 set of 100kg just to see how it felt. That was doable too.

Pretty swift turnaround. Must be something to do with my match and lack of rest over the weekend. Its sick that you can have much difference in the space of two days. Makes you wonder.
                                                            Definitely. When I used to have an American Football match on a Sunday, I would wait until Tuesday or maybe even Wednesday to workout again. So I'd stretch my lifting week to 8 or 9 days. Any sport that involves sprinting takes so long to recover from it's unreal.

Glad you're making progress. Keep it up and keep me updated.

Comment

Thursday 7th April

Front Squat
                                                              Bar x 5
                                                              40 x 5
                                                              60 x 4
                                                              80 x 3
                                                              100 x 2
                                                              115 x 1
                                                              130 x 3,3,3

Military Press
                                                              Bar x 5,5
                                                              40 x 4
                                                              50 x 2
                                                              57.5 x 1
                                                              *wrist wraps on*
                                                              65 x 3,3,3

Bent Over Barbell Row

80 x 3,3,3,3,3,3

Face Pulls (Cable)

31.25 x 15,15,15

GHR
                                                              BW + 14kg x 8,8,8

Very happy. Front squats were easy enough. Much better than last week.

I'd a nice pump from the face pulls and my GHR ability is improving quickly.

Comment

Sunday 10th April

Low Bar Squat

Bar x 5,5
                                                                60 x 5
                                                                80 x 4
                                                                100 x 3
                                                                120 x 2
                                                                *belt on*
                                                                140 x 1
                                                                160 x 1
                                                                175 x 3

Bench Press

Bar x 5,5
                                                                40 x 5
                                                                60 x 4
                                                                80 x 3
                                                                90 x 1
                                                                *wrist wraps on*
                                                                100 x 1
                                                                107.5 x 3 *PB*

Deadlift (conventional)
                                                                Bar x 5,5
                                                                70 x 5
                                                                90 x 4
                                                                110 x 3
                                                                130 x 3
                                                                *belt on*
                                                                150 x 1
                                                                170 x 1
                                                                190 x 1 x dgdjsk;ajgkjksjgkaj;ljsagj

The day started off well with some very solid squats - probably my best yet. PB on the bench could've been 4 reps too.

Unfortunately, I've broken myself again. Exact same thing as last time. Went for a 190 double and felt a pop on the second rep. Bye bye piriformis. Pretty gutted. Never say never, but I'll be surprised if I ever conventional deadlift heavy again. It just doesn't suit my body type as my hip/back area is left too exposed in the starting position. A full-time switch to sumo is the plan.

I don't think it'll take as long to recover from this time but I'll know the full extent of the damage when I wake up in the morning. Here's hoping it ain't too bad.

Comment

Hey man, sorry to hear about the injury. Fear of getting injured and not being able to stay lifting is making me consider stopping playing soccer (also the recovery time) although... Im only training so I perform better and dont get injured in soccer. Irony FTW.

Quick Question though:

Ive stalled again on 100kg squat. Failed in 3 consecutive workouts.

Now, Im questioning whether I should continue cutting or start eating all around me and bulking up. Im still making gains on my other lifts but feel as if Im coming to the top end of what I can do while eating what Im eating.

Or else, the reason Im not getting more gains is because my recovery is being hampered by the matches and HiiT training for soccer.

Thoughts? Will SS still work if I do it on two days as opposed to 3. Gives me more recovery time and also makes it easier to fit around training for soccer.

Currently:

Squat 95kg 3x5
                                                                  Bench 70kg3x5
                                                                  Deadlift 115kg 3x5
                                                                  Bodyweight 80kg.

Reckon I can add to the DL and Bench still but looking as if Squat is stalling. Might push out 100kg on a good day.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

From discussing this with Emmet Ive decided to narrow my question (but would still appreciate thoughts on the above)

Do you think (from your experience) that my stalling is to do with my recovery (having some sort of training every day) or from my food intake?

Or, how heavy did you lift until you needed to consider bulking? I ask because if you stalled somewhere near 120kg squat or whatever then I know that its prob my recovery. If you stalled somewhere near 100kg like me then its prob natural enough need to eat more.

I know, each of us is different and we cant speak in absolutes but just a general idea. If Mellor is reading, Id appreciate his thoughts (or anyones) too.

Comment

Hey man, sorry to hear about the injury. Fear of getting injured and not being able to stay lifting is making me consider stopping playing soccer (also the recovery time) although... Im only training so I perform better and dont get injured in soccer. Irony FTW.
                                                                      Very ironic. The lifting bug is taking over I see. Good stuff.

Thoughts? Will SS still work if I do it on two days as opposed to 3. Gives me more recovery time and also makes it easier to fit around training for soccer.
                                                                      Yep. It'll work. Even try working off a 10 or 11 day lifting week if you want to stick to a 3 workout week.

The first thing I'd try is to replace back squats with front squats for the middle workout of the week. Either do the usual 3x5 or perhaps it'd be better to go with 3x3. It'll help get the blood flowing to the legs without stressing them in the same way as the back squat which will aid recovery. Technique will take a while to drill down. Let me know if you're going to do them and I'll send you something on it. I'd drop your back squat weight back to 85 and work up in 2.5kgs again if you want to stick to a 3 day week. I'd do this anyhow though.

Now, Im questioning whether I should continue cutting or start eating all around me and bulking up. Im still making gains on my other lifts but feel as if Im coming to the top end of what I can do while eating what Im eating.
                                                                      How do you feel about putting on weight? Would it hinder you on the soccer pitch is the question I suppose. Personally, I wouldn't do starting strength whilst on a deficit unless I was a total beginner as I know I couldn't cope with recovery. I pretty much eat what I want all year round (probably would be considered a bulk diet) with 2 low carbish (<100g per day) diets a year for about 4-6 weeks if my bf is getting too high for my liking.

You're lifting decent weights for your bw and obviously a higher calorie intake would assist you immensely. If I were you, I'd eat more but that's my answer to everything Mellor may have a better informed opinion than me on this subject.

Or else, the reason Im not getting more gains is because my recovery is being hampered by the matches and HiiT training for soccer.
                                                                      I'd say it's a mixture of both. You're kinda trying to do a bit of everything plus you're on a deficit. Eat more if you don't mind putting on a bit of bf and the gains will come in the weight room. It's really hard to balance a sport + SS.

Currently:

Squat 95kg 3x5
                                                                      Bench 70kg3x5
                                                                      Deadlift 115kg 3x5
                                                                      Bodyweight 80kg.

Reckon I can add to the DL and Bench still but looking as if Squat is stalling. Might push out 100kg on a good day.
                                                                      Just re this. Maybe I was working off a different template but I thought the prescribed deadlift was 1x5? 1x5 is definitely taxing enough anyway.

Comment

Do you think (from your experience) that my stalling is to do with my recovery (having some sort of training every day) or from my food intake?
                                                                        If I was pushed on the issue, I'd say it's the HIIT training. Takes too long to recover from in my experience. Obviously this is compounded by the calorie deficit.

Or, how heavy did you lift until you needed to consider bulking? I ask because if you stalled somewhere near 120kg squat or whatever then I know that its prob my recovery. If you stalled somewhere near 100kg like me then its prob natural enough need to eat more.
                                                                        I always bulk as I said unless I need to cut a bit of bf. Default mode for me = bulk.

My answer to your stalling question won't really help you at all. I first ran SS when I was 19. I already had 6 years lifting experience but had never squatted or deadlifted. First time I did BB squats I worked up to 100 3x5 @ around 80kg bw. I'd been on a smith machine before this (the shame ) where I was up to 180x2. So I had a fairly good starting level of strength. I think I stalled at around 135 3x5.

I know, each of us is different and we cant speak in absolutes but just a general idea.
                                                                        Exactly. Another thing that plays it's part is anatomy. For example, I suck at deadlifts because my arms are quite short so my levers aren't as good as they could be. I'm bent over a fair bit just to get my hands on the bar. On the other hand, I was born to squat. Nothing we can really do about this though except work extra hard on our bad lifts (or use anatomy as an excuse).

It shouldn't really matter anyhow unless we get to an elite level of lifting. We can all reach an advanced of strength even though we're not built for certain lifts.

Comment

On the deadlift, yeah 1x5 is what I meant.

Just on auto pilot writing 3x5.

Still weighing up the decision about whether to keep cutting or just stuff my face. I dont see the problem with putting on a bit of BF. It will be a minimal enough change to my bodyshape if I keep putting on muscle. It'll also help with soccer in the long term and by eating more decrease the chances of long term injuries.

That said. It just doesnt feel right. Im not exactly a skinny bastard, Ive a bit of BF on me as it is. 80kg and 5'9'' (at a push).

I've nothing else to do for the next 3 months as Im working flat out saving for my round the world trip home and then Ive to do 3 months Rural work for my second visa so I may as well get as big and strong as possible as its all going to come off then doing 10hour manual labour days in the searing heat.

Cheers for the advice. Reckon I'll just shove my face full of food (decent food)...ish.

Comment

On the deadlift, yeah 1x5 is what I meant.

Just on auto pilot writing 3x5.

Still weighing up the decision about whether to keep cutting or just stuff my face. I dont see the problem with putting on a bit of BF. It will be a minimal enough change to my bodyshape if I keep putting on muscle. It'll also help with soccer in the long term and by eating more decrease the chances of long term injuries.

That said. It just doesnt feel right. Im not exactly a skinny bastard, Ive a bit of BF on me as it is. 80kg and 5'9'' (at a push).

I've nothing else to do for the next 3 months as Im working flat out saving for my round the world trip home and then Ive to do 3 months Rural work for my second visa so I may as well get as big and strong as possible as its all going to come off then doing 10hour manual labour days in the searing heat.

Cheers for the advice. Reckon I'll just shove my face full of food (decent food)...ish.
                                                                            Correct decision! It doesn't have to be decent food all the time (or even half of the time in my case...). Just make sure you eat enough. Perhaps get acquainted with the local buffet. Eat every 2-3 hours if possible not just when you're hungry. Oh and obviously milk it up if you can.

Good luck. Bulking is the fun part

Comment

More food will defo help with recovery, but willl stop fat loss. May not cause you to increase in weight though
                                                                              My first run at squats I got to 100kg and deloaded to 80kg, I hasn't stalled but my form was starting to slip. Worked back up again to 130-ish and now rolled back to 120kg. I rather doing it that way over grinding out an extra rep every week. My thinking is that form will remain better and its easier on recovery.

I've tried to do all this on a deficit. My weights moved very little over the last year, but lean/fat ratios are far better. I think bascially I've been on a series of tiny increases and losses.

I'd say take 3 weeks of eating at maintenance or just over. Don't try and bulk but just make sure your body recovers easily.

Comment

Monday 18th April

Low Bar Squat Rehab
                                                                                Bar x 5
                                                                                60 x 5
                                                                                80 x 4
                                                                                100 x 3
                                                                                120 x 3
                                                                                140 x 3,5

Military Press
                                                                                Bar x 5,5
                                                                                40 x 5
                                                                                50 x 3
                                                                                60 x 1
                                                                                *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                67.5 x 5,5,5,5,5 *PB*

Dead Hang Chins

BW + 16kg x 5,5,5

Single Leg Glute Machine
                                                                                100 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
                                                                                120 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine (very slow cadence)

105 x 12,12,12

Just wanted to get something done today. Testing the water. A lot of stiffness on the squats and a bit of soreness. To be expected really. Said I'd work up to 140 x 3 and that felt good so done another set of 5.

Happy with the MP PB. Easier than it usually is for me. Chins were tough. Last rep was a bitter fight to the end but I got my chin over the bar.

On a side note, some scumbag(s) have robbed all the collars out of the gym. Gonna have to buy my own. What a joke.

Comment

Wednesday 20th April

Warm up: less than usual

Front Squat
                                                                                  Bar x 5
                                                                                  40 x 5
                                                                                  60 x 4
                                                                                  80 x 3
                                                                                  100 x 2
                                                                                  115 x 1
                                                                                  130 x 3,3,3

Bench Press
                                                                                  Bar x 5,5
                                                                                  40 x 6
                                                                                  60 x 4
                                                                                  80 x 2
                                                                                  90 x 1
                                                                                  95 x 1
                                                                                  *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                  102.5 x 3,3,3 <all paused for 1 second on chest> *PB*

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                  80 x 3,3,3,3,3,3

GHR
                                                                                  BW + 15kg x 8,8,8

Good day. Not too many problems with my glute area for the front squats. All reps felt solid and there's more in the tank.

First time getting the prescribed reps with the pauses on the bench press.

My gym is now closed until next Tuesday so no updates until then. Not happy about it at all.

Comment

Hey man,

Busted out the 100k Squat yesterday. Felt good. Been out of action for 10 days too with a thigh injury(stupid football) and tonsilitis so pretty happy I have it out of the way, mental barrier and all that.

Bench still at 70 but feeling pretty solid, should be jumping it up fast.

Deadlift 120, felt ok too so gonna add another 5kg on Fri and see how it feels.

Eating a fair bit more than I usually do and finding it hard to eat so much, soccer still having an affect on recovery but thats to be expected.

Comment

Hey man,

Busted out the 100k Squat yesterday. Felt good. Been out of action for 10 days too with a thigh injury(stupid football) and tonsilitis so pretty happy I have it out of the way, mental barrier and all that.

Bench still at 70 but feeling pretty solid, should be jumping it up fast.

Deadlift 120, felt ok too so gonna add another 5kg on Fri and see how it feels.

Eating a fair bit more than I usually do and finding it hard to eat so much, soccer still having an affect on recovery but thats to be expected.
                                                                                      Good stuff. Onwards and upwards.

You'll get used to eating more fairly quickly.

Comment

Wednesday 4th May

Low Bar Squat Rehab

Bar x 5
                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                        100 x 4
                                                                                        120 x 3
                                                                                        140 x 5
                                                                                        150 x 5,5

Bench Press
                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                        60 x 4
                                                                                        80 x 3
                                                                                        *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                        95 x 1
                                                                                        102.5 x 5,5,5

Dead Hang Chins

BW + 18kg x 5,4,3+3 BW

First update in a good while. I was sick most of last week so decided to rest up. Doing a lot of overtime in work also so I can't really plan what days I can get to the gym.

Anyhow, it was a better than expected session. Didn't bring my belt for the squats but they felt really solid. Good rack position, good depth and good body tension. I was surprised I was able to stay so upright on the 150s.

Planned on 5x5 on the bench but due to being quite late out of work I just had time for the three sets. Last rep was a total grinder.

Chins were a bit meh but I was kinda expecting that after a 2 week layoff.

I'm not doing anywhere near enough stretching lately. Have to make time somewhere for it.

My gym closes early on a Friday so next update will be on Saturday hopefully.

Edit: Nearly forgot. I gave Jack3d a spin there for the first time this evening. Definitely felt more focused and kinda got goosebumps on squats but then it wore off. Must up the dose in a few weeks.

Also, bought Gaspari Myofusion protein this week. I like to mix up my protein now and again. Tastes ok (choc mint). It's probably the heaviest shake I've ever had i.e. the most filling. Synta 6 is still the king for the tastebuds imo.
                                                                                        Last edited by Lurker23; 04-05-11, 22:22.

Comment

Saturday 7th May

Front Squat
                                                                                          Bar x 5,5
                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                          60 x 4
                                                                                          80 x 3
                                                                                          100 x 3
                                                                                          120 x 1
                                                                                          135 x 3,3,3

Military Press
                                                                                          Bar x 5,5
                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                          50 x 3
                                                                                          60 x 1
                                                                                          *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                          67.5 x 3,3,3

Elevated Inverted Row (Feet on step)
                                                                                          BW x 8,5+3,4+4

GHR
                                                                                          BW + 14kg x 8,8,6+3 BW

Ab Rope Pulldown (Cable)
                                                                                          41kg x 15,15,15

My best sets at 135kg yet.

MP was fine.

Don't think I'm ready for the elevated inverted rows. I was planning on 8,8,8 but my chest didn't touch the bar on 3 on the 2nd set and 4 on the 3rd. I'll go back to normal inverted rows next time.

Serious cramps on the final set of abs. Hate working abs because they're weak but they definitely need more work that most other areas. Must try to do more abs.

Gonna do lots of stretching later.

Comment

Comment

110 squat yesterday. Good depth. Strange one though, seems my shoulders are weakening. Did this happen to you? I cant seem to add much more weight than 50kg consecutively. By that I mean, I get to 50Kg (Shoulder Press) and I cant push through it, whereas everyother lift is going up?

I made the decision to just add more assistance exercises as I have been doing no shoulder work besides pressing. Have added in sets of chins and pull ups in every session to see if it makes a difference.

Toying with the idea of restarting my log here but meh... I know Ill just let it fall by the wayside. Standard enough behaviour.

Comment

Same thing happened with my shoulder press, stuck on 60 for ages now.
                                                                                                i'm going to deload and work back up 5x5 or 3x5

Comment

110 squat yesterday. Good depth. Strange one though, seems my shoulders are weakening. Did this happen to you? I cant seem to add much more weight than 50kg consecutively. By that I mean, I get to 50Kg (Shoulder Press) and I cant push through it, whereas everyother lift is going up?

I made the decision to just add more assistance exercises as I have been doing no shoulder work besides pressing. Have added in sets of chins and pull ups in every session to see if it makes a difference.

Toying with the idea of restarting my log here but meh... I know Ill just let it fall by the wayside. Standard enough behaviour.
                                                                                                  As Mellor said, it's pretty standard. I got stuck on a similar weight iirc. It happens simply because it's more of an isolated movement than the squat or dead so there's less room for continuous improvement. Drop the weight 10% and work back up in 2.5kg increments and see how you get on.

Good work on the squat.

With regards me, I haven't had a session since my last logging. Working a lot of overtime and studying for my upcoming exam in two weeks. I've the next two weeks off though so I'll be able to study + gym it hopefully x 3 a week. Starting back Monday. Not looking forward to being weaker....

Comment

Monday 23rd May

Low Bar Squat

Bar x 5
                                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                                    80 x 4
                                                                                                    100 x 3
                                                                                                    120 x 2
                                                                                                    140 x 1
                                                                                                    150 x 2
                                                                                                    140 x 5,5,5,5,5

Military Press
                                                                                                    Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                                    50 x 3
                                                                                                    60 x 1
                                                                                                    *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                    67.5 x 5,5,5,5,5

Dead Hang Chins
                                                                                                    BW + 16kg x 5,5,3 + 2 BW

Lying Leg Curl
                                                                                                    20 x 12,12,8

Single Leg Glute Machine
                                                                                                    95 x 8,8,8

Hip Adduction Machine
                                                                                                    115 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
                                                                                                    115 x 12,12,12

Couldn't get a nice rack postion to start with but I'll put that down to rustiness. Decided not to go too mad and went back to 140 5x5. Nice and easy. Probably good for 5 sets of 8 at that weight.

Very surprised that there was no drop off on MP. I'll take that thanks.

Must foam roll....

Comment

Thursday 26th May

Front Squat
                                                                                                      Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                                      60 x 4
                                                                                                      80 x 3
                                                                                                      100 x 2
                                                                                                      110 x 1
                                                                                                      120 x 1
                                                                                                      130 x 3
                                                                                                      140 x 3
                                                                                                      130 x 3

Bench Press
                                                                                                      Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                                      60 x 4
                                                                                                      80 x 3
                                                                                                      *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                      90 x 2
                                                                                                      100 x 3,3,3 <paused>
                                                                                                      90 x 2,2,5 <touch and go>

GHR

BW + 14kg x 8,8,8

Ab Rope Pulldown (Cable)
                                                                                                      41kg x 15,15,15

Face Pulls (Cable)
                                                                                                      26.25 x 15,15,15 <last rep held for 15 secs on each set>

some physio stuff

Upped the dose of Jack3d to two scoops. Think I hit the sweet spot! Definitely felt it kick in on the front squats. 130 felt too light so went up to 140 for a set. Sank them in deep - hams touching calves. Decided not to overdo it and went back to 130 for the last set.

Paused BP was comfortable. Did a small bit more at 90 just to get back into the groove of bench pressing. Looking for a bit more consistency in terms of set up, lifting off and bar path. The plan was 2,2,2 but the Jack3d kicked in again on the third set and I just pounded it out.

Comment

Tuesday 31st May

Low Bar Squat
                                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                                        100 x 3
                                                                                                        120 x 2
                                                                                                        *belt on*
                                                                                                        140 x 1
                                                                                                        160 x 1
                                                                                                        170 x 1
                                                                                                        180 x 1
                                                                                                        190 x 1 *low bar PB*

Military Press
                                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                                        50 x 4
                                                                                                        60 x 3
                                                                                                        *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                        67.5 x 1
                                                                                                        75 x 2

Dead Hang Chins
                                                                                                        BW + 16kg x 5,5,5

Hip Adduction Machine
                                                                                                        115 x 12,12,12

Hip Abduction Machine
                                                                                                        115 x 12,12,12

Lying Leg Curl
                                                                                                        20 x 10,10,10

Seated Calf Machine
                                                                                                        45 x 12,12,12

Decline Sit-ups (weight held overhead)

BW x 9
                                                                                                        BW + 5kg x 8
                                                                                                        BW + 10kg x 8

some rotator cuff stuff

Just went for it today. Felt good. Lost myself forward a bit on the 180 but recovered enough to drive it out. I kept more upright on the 190 and it was easier as a result. Glute is nowhere near 100% so a PB that equals my high bar PB is encouraging. I haven't exactly had many sessions the past two months either. Weird. Fingers crossed I reach the magical 200 soon.

Attempted a 3rd rep on the MP but couldn't lock it out.

Comment

Thursday 2nd June

Low Bar Squat
                                                                                                          Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                                          80 x 4
                                                                                                          100 x 3
                                                                                                          120 x 2
                                                                                                          *belt on*
                                                                                                          140 x 1
                                                                                                          150 x 5,5,5,5,5

Bench Press
                                                                                                          Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                                          60 x 4
                                                                                                          80 x 3
                                                                                                          *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                          92.5 x 1
                                                                                                          102.5 x 5,5,5, 4 + 1 spotter touch, 3

Inverted Rows
                                                                                                          BW x 12,12,12

GHR
                                                                                                          BW + 16kg x 8,8,8

Ab Rope Pulldown (cable)
                                                                                                          41 x 15,15,15

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tough day. Didn't have much energy. 150 was comfortable. Good for 7 reps at least on each set.

Think I could've got the 5th rep that the spotter touched. Lost the bar path on the 5th set = more energy expended = less reps.

Comment

Tuesday 7th June

Front Squat
                                                                                                            Bar x 5
                                                                                                            40 x 5
                                                                                                            60 x 5
                                                                                                            80 x 4
                                                                                                            100 x 3
                                                                                                            115 x 1
                                                                                                            130 x 1
                                                                                                            140 x 3,3,3 *PB*

Military Press
                                                                                                            Bar x 5
                                                                                                            40 x 5
                                                                                                            50 x 3
                                                                                                            60 x 1
                                                                                                            *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                            67.5 x 3,3,3

Seated Face Pulls (cable)
                                                                                                            27 x 12,12
                                                                                                            36 x 12

Proper GHR
                                                                                                            BW x 5,5,3

Decline Abs
                                                                                                            BW + 10kg x 8,8,8

Tired and sore. FS took everything out of me. Not much more room for improvement. Last set was pretty shaky but I got there.

Decided to do these GHRs:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl26O6ZCL0k[/ame]

instead of these:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3X1eFt-Dgg[/ame]

Hams felt like they were going to explode. The difference is unreal. Got the idea from the "So you think you can squat" series. There's 5 parts now and it's fully finished. I definitely have a weakness there. Glutes/Hips, abs, hammies and upper back are my weaknesses so going to focus my assistance work on these areas. Hopefully it'll pay off and my squat will shoot up.

Now to stretch out and foam roll....

Comment

No GHR in my gym only roman chair, would like to give ti a shot.
                                                                                                              That second video is just a back extension, totally different excercise. Can be done on a roman chair, but you need a GHR to fo proper GHRs. Still can't figure out a way to improvise it
                                                                                                              Last edited by Mellor; 08-06-11, 00:50.

Comment

Thursday 9th June

Low Bar Squat
                                                                                                                Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                40 x 5
                                                                                                                60 x 5
                                                                                                                80 x 4
                                                                                                                100 x 3
                                                                                                                120 x 2
                                                                                                                140 x 1
                                                                                                                *belt on*
                                                                                                                160 x 1
                                                                                                                170 x 1
                                                                                                                180 x 2

Bench Press
                                                                                                                Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                40 x 5
                                                                                                                60 x 4
                                                                                                                80 x 2
                                                                                                                90 x 1
                                                                                                                *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                                100 x 1
                                                                                                                110 x 1
                                                                                                                115 x fail

Dead Hang Chins
                                                                                                                BW + 16kg x 5,5,3

Extremely tired today. Haven't really been getting more than 5hrs sleep all this week and it's starting to catch up on me now. Saying that, squats were excellent. One of my best squat sessions yet. Everything just felt right. Could've got 180 x 3 for sure.

Gym was closing so had to rush through the BP and chins. Would usually take 5-10 mins rest for a max attempt rather than the two mins tonight. Not to worry.

Comment

Hey man,

Reckon Im gonna change up from SS after this week (my 8th). Could prob go further with it in terms of strength gains but Ill be cutting soon so something else might be better. have a post in my log about it. Will you have a look and give me your thoughts?

Comment

Monday 13th June

Low Bar Squat

Bar x 5
                                                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                                                    80 x 4
                                                                                                                    100 x 3
                                                                                                                    120 x 2
                                                                                                                    *belt on*
                                                                                                                    140 x 1
                                                                                                                    155 x 4,5,5

Military Press
                                                                                                                    Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                                                    50 x 3
                                                                                                                    60 x 1
                                                                                                                    70 x 4
                                                                                                                    65 x 4

GHR
                                                                                                                    BW x 10,10,10

*supersetted with*

Dead Hang Pull-ups
                                                                                                                    BW x 8,7

Awful day. Didn't get my lunch in work until 4pm so went from 7:15am to 4:15pm without food. Usually I have a protein shake about 11am, lunch at 2pm and then a wrap or something similar before the gym about 5:30pm.

Started squatting about an hour and a half later than usual due to overtime so sped through it as fast as I could with about 3-4 min breaks in between work sets. Usually I'd take 5-10 mins and I certainly felt the difference. I lost the bar position on the first set so just got the four reps. Decided to just do the three sets so I could get some other stuff done. The weight itself was about an 8/10 in terms of perceived difficulty. I'll probably stick at it next week and go for a 5x5 just for completeness. I don't want to stall for a few weeks yet.

Similar situation with the MP. Cut my rest in half and it showed. There was no point carrying on after the 65 x 4. Crash and burn.

From this point on, GHR refers to the proper GHR not the back extension on a GHR. These went much better than last week. Got in a nice groove. Surprised myself. They were pretty disgusting when supersetted with pull-ups though. Just kept going from one exercise to the other with no rest as the gym was closing.

FU work. How dare the real world get in the way of my training

Comment

Wednesday 15th June

Front Squat
                                                                                                                      Bar x 5
                                                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                                                      60 x 5
                                                                                                                      80 x 4
                                                                                                                      100 x 3
                                                                                                                      115 x 2
                                                                                                                      *belt on*
                                                                                                                      130 x 1
                                                                                                                      145 x 3,3,2 *PB*

Bench Press
                                                                                                                      Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                                                      60 x 4
                                                                                                                      80 x 2
                                                                                                                      92.5 x 1
                                                                                                                      *wrist wraps on*
                                                                                                                      102.5 x 3,3,3 <all paused for 1 second on chest>

Neutral Grip-ish chins
                                                                                                                      BW + 14kg x 5
                                                                                                                      BW + 12kg x 5
                                                                                                                      BW + 10kg x 5

*supersetted with*

Ab Rope Pulldown (cable)
                                                                                                                      41 x 15,15,15

Satisfactory. Introduced my belt into the mix to see what I can get out of it. I was a little woozy after the first set. Very difficult to breath in between reps with that weight on your chest. Lost my grip on the final rep of the second and third sets but managed to somehow grind it out on the second set by keeping upright. I probably should have just dropped the bar as I hurt my bicep a small bit. Nothing major though.

Best paused BP sets at that weight so far.

The chins were somewhere in between wide and neutral grip but closer to neutral. Gym was closing so had to superset.

Comment

Saturday 18th June

Low Bar Squat
                                                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                                                        100 x 3
                                                                                                                        120 x 2
                                                                                                                        *belt on*
                                                                                                                        140 x 1
                                                                                                                        160 x 1
                                                                                                                        170 x 1
                                                                                                                        180 x 3 *PB*

Military Press
                                                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                                                        50 x 3
                                                                                                                        60 x 1
                                                                                                                        67.5 x 1
                                                                                                                        75 x 3 *PB*

Sumo Deadlift
                                                                                                                        Bar x 5,5
                                                                                                                        70 x 5
                                                                                                                        90 x 5
                                                                                                                        110 x 3
                                                                                                                        130 x 2
                                                                                                                        *belt on*
                                                                                                                        150 x 1
                                                                                                                        170 x 1
                                                                                                                        190 x 1

GHR
                                                                                                                        BW x 10,10,10

Hip Adduction Machine
                                                                                                                        125 x 12,12,12

*supersetted with*

Hip Abduction Machine
                                                                                                                        115 x 12,12,12

Seated Calf Machine
                                                                                                                        45 x 12,12,12

*supersetted with*

Ab Rope Pulldown (Cable)
                                                                                                                        41 x 15,15,15

some rotator cuff and physio stuff

What a day. Got 12 hours sleep last night and that made a huge difference to my energy levels. I felt like a different person compared to when I go after work on weekdays.

Hmmm. Squats. 180 x 3 felt like a warm up. Bar speed was super fast and only marginally slowed down on the 3rd rep. I was definitely good for at least another two reps. Sunk them in really deep as well.

Same story with the MP. Easy peasy.

Decided to throw in some sumos. Felt great. Concentrated on keeping my arch as I think I get a bit lazy and lose it on the heavy sets which is a big problem. Much better. Probably a sumo PB too.

Gonna stretch out and foam roll later on.

A 200 squat will fall soon....

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                                                          Low Bar Squat
                                                                                                                          180 x 3 *PB*

Military Press
                                                                                                                          75 x 3 *PB*
                                                                                                                          Ugh...sick stuff
                                                                                                                          Great job on both. Prob good for 190/80kg singles??

I meant to ask you, did you ever get around to videoing the military press.
                                                                                                                          I've stalled big time in it and checking out your form might help me spot something

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X