Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinds after players eliminated?

Right, lets get this puppy rolling!

Playing a tournie a couple of weeks back. 2 players are eliminated from another table, our table is folded and myself and another player take the eliminated players' seats.

So, the scenario is this:

The 2 players who were eliminated would've been SB & BB next hand. We take our seats, me in SB position and other guy in BB position.

Someone suggests i am BB on my own, even though the button is directly to my right. Someone else suggests i should be SB and the guy to my left should be BB.

A very heated exchange follows where insults are thrown and both guys claim their own version is the understood rule around the clubs in Dublin.

So............ what IS the rule? Even the TD didn't really know what to do but agreed with their being SB and BB instead of just 1 BB.

If you were bb on your own that would mean that seat would if posted the bb twice in a row. Im 99% sure that its sb & bb, no dead button.

Comment

to my knowledge the only position you cannot sit in on in the SB.

The BB is as it should be, the person in the SB seat sits out the hand & will be the button next hand

Comment

Originally posted by MrStuffins View Post

Someone suggests i am BB on my own, even though the button is directly to my right. Someone else suggests i should be SB and the guy to my left should be BB.
        You shouldn't be BB on your own as there is no empty seat for a dead button to go to after the hand to put you in the small blind.

If in doubt I tend to call the floor for clarification or have the hand started before people put stacks on the table. Having the deal past that position before the players sit down solves the issue very neatly I find.

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
        to my knowledge the only position you cannot sit in on in the SB.
        You cannot be dealt a hand between the button and blinds. You can get any other position including both blinds if playing by TDA rules.

Originally posted by Irish Iron View Post
        If you were bb on your own that would mean that seat would if posted the bb twice in a row. Im 99% sure that its sb & bb, no dead button.
        This is my understanding.

Alternative is you (SB position) miss this hand. Play continues as normal from then.
        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Yep, unless local rules overrule, you play SB and BB as if you were always there.

The only hard and fast rule everywhere is that you can't come in between button and SB as mentioned above.

Comment

When bringing players from one table to another to balance the table I see nothing wrong with a player coming in on the BB on there own as I move players from worst position to worst position.

I have also adopted this rule when when breaking tables, and have recently discuss it with another TD regarding the pro's and cons of allowing 2 new players to the table with one on SB & one on BB.

The main pro been seen as breaking tables is done randomly it should balance itself out over the course of the tournament.

The main con been that a player coming in on SB could be taking away from table (should the table be next to break or when next on the BB to balance another) without having paid for his/her BB during the last round of the table.

It's going to be one of the rules which I will make decussing again tomorrow when setting the rules for the Green Joker Poker - European Deepstack.
            Last edited by JP Poker; 29-01-10, 18:42.
            €10,000 GTD New Monthly Tournament
            Village Green Card Club, Last Thursday of the Month, €270 Freezeout
            €1,000,000 GTD - Irish Open
            CityWest Hotel, 6th-13th April

Comment

player A sb sits out

player b bb big blind on his own

next hd

button goes to player A
              PLAYER b small blind normal play

agree with kakak1

Comment

Originally posted by corkie123 View Post
                player A sb sits out

player b bb big blind on his own

next hd

button goes to player A
                PLAYER b small blind normal play

agree with kakak1
                Whats the point in having player A sit out and get the button in the next hand. There's no reason why he doesn't post the small blind here. He's in the seat due to post the SB, he's not affecting the next blinds by posting

I can't see any other ruling than Player A posts SB and Player B posts BB

Comment

Originally posted by JP Poker View Post

The main con been that a player coming in on SB could be taking away from table (should the table be next to break or when next on the BB to balance another) without having paid for his/her BB during the last round of the table.
                  I can't agree with this being a con JP because this can happen every time a player is moved.

eg. Next big blind is moved to a new table. The only available seat is the cutoff. 5 or 6 six hands pass and the table is broken. So this player never posts any blinds while there.

I would also say it's quite rare that two players are brought to a new table and the two seats available are SB and BB

Comment

Originally posted by Span View Post
                    Whats the point in having player A sit out and get the button in the next hand. There's no reason why he doesn't post the small blind here. He's in the seat due to post the SB, he's not affecting the next blinds by posting

I can't see any other ruling than Player A posts SB and Player B posts BB
                    Robert's rules of poker

tournaments rules section 15 rule 15

new players are dealt in immediately and take over the obligations of that position including small blind or button position

so there im wrong lol never seen that before till now
                    Last edited by corkie123; 31-01-10, 20:36.

Comment

You and the other player are dealt out of first hand at table. Dealer is person to your right. SB and BB are the players 2 and 3 to your left. After that, dealer is player 2 to your left. You are dealt in this hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                        You and the other player are dealt out of first hand at table. Dealer is person to your right. SB and BB are the players 2 and 3 to your left. After that, dealer is player 2 to your left. You are dealt in this hand.
                        Can you give a reason why they should both sit out?.

They are in the two seats due to post the SB and BB so what reason is there for them not to post them?

Comment

Playing a tournie a couple of weeks back. 2 players are eliminated from another table, our table is folded and myself and another player take the eliminated players' seats.

The 2 players who were eliminated would've been SB & BB next hand. We take our seats, me in SB position and other guy in BB position.

A very heated exchange follows where insults are thrown and both guys claim their own version is the understood rule around the clubs in Dublin.

So............ what IS the rule? Even the TD didn't really know what to do but agreed with their being SB and BB instead of just 1 BB.

Ok, this came up in the club a while back as I broke a table. The two players who were due to be big and small blinds were eliminated and two new players arrived in their place.

The argument came about when the player on the button, claimed that both players coming in had to post a big blind. I think he misunderstood the situation but then tried to argue that he was right.

In fact the table was full and where it is possible that a player can come in in the small blind they must.

Another player argued that if two players posted big blinds, eg. player A is bb on his own and player B posts BB and player A posts a SB then the table is in fact receiving 10 hands
                          on that round of a 9 handed table and that the player on the button would receive the button twice where he clearly had no grounds for it.

The button player became enraged that he should be challenged and became abusive. He tried to say the another player was trying to influence the outcome of the ruling.
                          The fact is that he had tried to influence the decision from the start stating that he was right.

What happened was originally I had thought that there was a case for a dead small blind but as I examined the scenario it became clear, It was possible for both sb and bb to be posted and that was the ruling.

In the end after speaking to the dealer and asking him if the two places after the button were free then I made my decision that both SB and BB be posted.

In the end I was happy that the correct ruling was given even if the button player tried to make out it was wrong.
                          Do You Voodoo? Why not become a fan on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

Comment

I dont know where this took place but the rules are very clear
                            the only and i mean only position you cannoy, cannoy come in to the game is the player between the button and the small blind
                            the TD shudda known this
                            you should have been the sb and your friend shudda been the bb, easy
                            any other decision is WRONG
                            ok ?

Kamal
                            u havent seen me, right?

Comment

Working...
                            X